• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 84 TC1 Patch Notes

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck does not play a role in the guaranteed drop that is awarded to a random "top attacker" by killing a Captain. It's completely random. The Lighthouse is a guarantee to everyone on the "top attacker" list, again luck not involved.

Where luck DOES come into play in a big way are the points you accumulate by killing creatures. The points are awarded based on the fame of the creature you kill grounded on the principle that the more difficult a creature, the more fame it will have. As you acquire more and more points your chances of getting a minor artifact drop approach 1 in 1.

Kyronix thank you for being patient with us and answering our questions. This question is more for the other players: Kyronix mentioned ONE "guaranteed drop" awarded from killing Captains and destroying the lighthouse. Are these drops also minor artifacts that can be turned in or are they different and part of a new group of items?

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This will not be a favorite event for everyone considering the time you need to put in but on the other hand items will be much more rare. Personally I preffered the old TOT grind the low level monsters get a item rinse and repeat. Now you really need to have a hunting party to kill most of the captains especially if your on a low pop shard.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix thank you for being patient with us and answering our questions. This question is more for the other players: Kyronix mentioned ONE "guaranteed drop" awarded from killing Captains and destroying the lighthouse. Are these drops also minor artifacts that can be turned in or are they different and part of a new group of items?
All minor artifacts can be turned in, they are the same minor artifacts generated randomly in a shame-loot style fashion.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
... Where luck DOES come into play in a big way are the points you accumulate by killing creatures. The points are awarded based on the fame of the creature you kill grounded on the principle that the more difficult a creature, the more fame it will have. As you acquire more and more points your chances of getting a minor artifact drop approach 1 in 1.
I assume at the lowest levels, the more LUCK the better. But, I don't understand how LUCK works in acquiring points. From your explanation, it seems that awarded points are based only on fame of the creatures you kill. Can you clarify?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I assume at the lowest levels, the more LUCK the better. But, I don't understand how LUCK works in acquiring points. From your explanation, it seems that awarded points are based only on fame of the creatures you kill. Can you clarify?
Here's an example using numbers I'm making up as I go...again made up number - fake ones, did I mention I made these up and do not represent game world examples? :p

Let's say you kill 3 dragons each with 10,000 fame each, this would give you 30k worth of reward points. At 30k points you may have a 1 in 1424 chance to get a reward - pretty low. Luck may bring that down to something like 1 in 1400...still pretty low - but don't forget you've only got 30k worth of points. Let's say after doing a few cities worth of invasions you are upwards of around 300k points. Your odds are now at lets say 1 in 50 (again I'm making up numbers). What luck will do in this case is drop it down to maybe 1 in 10.

So to summarize, luck is going to enhance your chance at getting a minor artifact - especially as you get closer to 1 to 1. Also remember that you roll every time you kill a creature so maybe it is really your lucky day and you may have the points for a 1 in 300 shot and actually nail it.

The major point being there are a lot of opportunities to roll for artifacts and your progress is tracked throughout so the more you do, the more you get!

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is my small sample from doing event today. 4 hours of farming = 4 drops. A guildmate did 8 hours of farming and he got 6 drops. Now this is a low pop shard so each mob takes time to kill. Kryonix said someone got 24 drops on TC and I have no idea how long that took them. I tried mult templates to see what was better (sampire,archer,tamer,mage,thrower) and came to the conclusion that a archer or thrower is best.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Here is my small sample from doing event today. 4 hours of farming = 4 drops. A guildmate did 8 hours of farming and he got 6 drops. Now this is a low pop shard so each mob takes time to kill. Kryonix said someone got 24 drops on TC and I have no idea how long that took them. I tried mult templates to see what was better (sampire,archer,tamer,mage,thrower) and came to the conclusion that a archer or thrower is best.
How much luck did you and your guildmate have on?

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck does not play a role in the guaranteed drop that is awarded to a random "top attacker" by killing a Captain. It's completely random. The Lighthouse is a guarantee to everyone on the "top attacker" list, again luck not involved.

Where luck DOES come into play in a big way are the points you accumulate by killing creatures. The points are awarded based on the fame of the creature you kill grounded on the principle that the more difficult a creature, the more fame it will have. As you acquire more and more points your chances of getting a minor artifact drop approach 1 in 1.
Kyronix, I have to say that your participation with the various threads here is much appreciated. Kudos to you for taking the time to explain things and showing interest in our opinions and experiences. I for one thank you very much.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also don't forget there are a variety of unusual tactics available in city fighting that are not available in other areas of fighting...I for one parked my ship right up at the docks and lured those pesky captains into awaiting cannon fire...hehe.
This is sketchy at best. I have known several players to get banned for attacking high end mobs by being in a place where the mob cannot attack the player. The boat deal sort of falls into that category as well. Is this an official greenlight that this type of tactic is now ok?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is sketchy at best. I have known several players to get banned for attacking high end mobs by being in a place where the mob cannot attack the player. The boat deal sort of falls into that category as well. Is this an official greenlight that this type of tactic is now ok?

I'd also be interested in an official answer. Where were players that they got banned?

Boats IMO should be fine. It finally gives us a reason to use cannons, after all.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't comment on what may have happened in the past with the players you are talking about or what may or may not happen if you'd try and exploit something elsewhere, but will say that for this content the use of unconventional tactics to get the upper hand is encouraged. The idea, after all, is to defend the cities! The quicker that goal is met the more and more m'arties you'll have to hand over to the King's agents! :)

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't comment on what may have happened in the past with the players you are talking about or what may or may not happen if you'd try and exploit something elsewhere, but will say that for this content the use of unconventional tactics to get the upper hand is encouraged. The idea, after all, is to defend the cities! The quicker that goal is met the more and more m'arties you'll have to hand over to the King's agents! :)
I'll remember this when I get paged on ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're absolutely right. We increased the chance of getting Invasion minors by half over Treasures of Tokuno minors. You also have two opportunities to get guaranteed minor artifacts: by killing Captains (a guaranteed drop to a random "top attacker") and destroying the Lighthouse (a guaranteed drop to all "top attackers") whereas ToT had just one...also these guarantees are independent of the points you accumulate from killing Captains and their minions. To put it into perspective, in the first day on TC1 a single player was able to collect 24 artifacts. Also, while the Invasion will not last forever - the ability to get the Blackthorn artifacts will have a permanent place in future content.
hmm im not arguing the difficulty at which minor artifacts / items are obtained in this invasion, however id have to argue its comparison to treasures of tokuna. During T.o.T. the biggest problem was finding stuff to kill. I had an island with very quick spawn, i did it on a bushido warrior with my lesser hiryu on the other end of the island (alone i would only go back to heal it with chiv and loot the corpses) if i remember right the drop rate was extremely high. i averaged about 30-40 minors an hour.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hmm im not arguing the difficulty at which minor artifacts / items are obtained in this invasion, however id have to argue its comparison to treasures of tokuna. During T.o.T. the biggest problem was finding stuff to kill. I had an island with very quick spawn, i did it on a bushido warrior with my lesser hiryu on the other end of the island (alone i would only go back to heal it with chiv and loot the corpses) if i remember right the drop rate was extremely high. i averaged about 30-40 minors an hour.
i noticed that as well, my area i used was beetlescape,if that was full i used tsuki wolves. i was on average getting a drop at least every 10-15mins. fame and karma im sure figure into it, but after dropping alot of stuff today im not seeing the increase

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im really looking forward to this. Tired of the same old grind, stuff that can be killed while afk.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im really looking forward to this. Tired of the same old grind, stuff that can be killed while afk.
It's to tough unless your on a populated shard. Even on atl the marti will go to the top attacker so your chances will not be that good. Killing lesser spawn with luck might be way to go to eventually get a marti. I am washing my hands of this event cya at arc III

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This Will go on as it is now. i was just playing minoc and theres several good places for an archer / thrower. I doubt anyone would get banned if its just an issue of terrain. (not that i agree with it, as it is now some of the mobs can be killed by an archer without taking any / much damage)

Im liking it tho. its pretty darn hard lol. im doing about 160 damage once i hit perfection, but still have to be careful. and bards.... well they get ran away from. Drop rate on minors seems ok as well.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doubt I will spend any time on this invasion. A few times for fun, but beyond that I doubt it. Too much work, and while I like the rewards alright, they aren't good enough to bless, so they would be expendable, and thus not worth 30 hours to collect the points on something that will get looted the next time I get pked. :p

Too bad, was kinda looking for an excuse to keep my account open post halloween. Ah well.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought this was a new event arc solo players could enjoy???? it seems to me the devs are making harder and harder mobs..while this will suit active shards..the quieter shards will have to sit the whole arc out....seems silly to me that u are forced into trying to rally a team up...like it was said earlier...the tokuna style mobs were great...maybe could have been beefed up a little...but not to the extent of peerless bosses....jesus...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Besides the obvious dungeons, In the old days some players got banned for using moonglows fence. Since return attack could not be established it was considered blocking. Thanks for the official answer though.

Off the top of my head I can say
-Brit and trinsic can use building tops to cast/shoot
-Minoc/New mag have terrain issues that can be used to "block" return attack
-Glow has the notorious fence
-Skara has the horse pen to block return fire as well, if the invaders aren't programmed to open the pen door

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought this was a new event arc solo players could enjoy???? it seems to me the devs are making harder and harder mobs..while this will suit active shards..the quieter shards will have to sit the whole arc out....seems silly to me that u are forced into trying to rally a team up...like it was said earlier...the tokuna style mobs were great...maybe could have been beefed up a little...but not to the extent of peerless bosses....jesus...

Solo players can kill most things. Its only for some Captains you need a small group for. Its not a problem no one can overcome. Unless you fear other players. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
ToT I used to kill Bake....... 100's of them and I would get a drop every 10 min or so...

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ToT I used to kill Bake....... 100's of them and I would get a drop every 10 min or so...
Yes, in TOT the mobs had normal abilities. The wolves were normal, the beetles were normal strength and etc. In the current arc, what existing mobs can you compare to the invaders? I have not tried them yet, but I bet they are much more powerful than the spawn we faced in TOT.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, in TOT the mobs had normal abilities. The wolves were normal, the beetles were normal strength and etc. In the current arc, what existing mobs can you compare to the invaders? I have not tried them yet, but I bet they are much more powerful than the spawn we faced in TOT.
With the exception of the Captains, all the invading mobs are creatures that exist elsewhere in the world. They have not been changed from their existing templates.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even on atl the marti will go to the top attacker so your chances will not be that good.
The m'artie awarded from the Captain is to a random top attacker. You may be at the top of the list, but you have just as much chance as someone at the bottom of the list. The m'artie awarded from the Lighthouse is awarded to everyone on the list.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The m'artie awarded from the Captain is to a random top attacker. You may be at the top of the list, but you have just as much chance as someone at the bottom of the list. The m'artie awarded from the Lighthouse is awarded to everyone on the list.
Thank you! This will encurage many more to join in and help kill the lighthouse and the spawn. I like the way you have put different difficulties in so many ways, so that most templates can kill one of the captains.

I must also credit you a lot of thinking of normal cloths to carry the same mods as robe does - as long it is replacing that slot. That will make a varity again in clothing, and we will see more different armor again. This is one of the best things that happend to UO tailoring branch since anno 2009.

The implementation of a invisible cloak is just awesome!

I dont see this is too much work for one to work for. In fact, many have spent more than 30 hrs to get a tangle with no drop, or houndreds of hours to get a slither - still no drop. I am just glad it is not too easy to get them, so that people can macro it away or get it too easy.

This is a great job! And I am happy to hear it will be continued after the invasion is over in different ways. :cheerleader:

Moldy Fishmonger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am getting guard whacked while fighting satyrs. I can only assume this is not intended. I am not sure, but they may be provoking the NPCs and myself on each other.

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cut those hits down alittle they take forever to kill,and lighthouse last step should take longer so you have time to get back to it before others waiting by it kill it

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, umm... How does one kill the guys that spawn in here? :

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cut those hits down alittle they take forever to kill,and lighthouse last step should take longer so you have time to get back to it before others waiting by it kill it
yeah easy way for martis just wait on lighthouse!

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe if we could discord them or use our bards the fight wouldn't be so long

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
-"A new wearable, the Epaulette, is available and can be worn in the robe slot. These are meant to replace the robe so the rest of the armor remains visible. They can only be seen in the paper doll."

Will these be made craftable in the future? :)

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From trying this out, 'list' means the top ten - so one in the ten gets a drop from captains, and all ten top damagers on a beacon?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From trying this out, 'list' means the top ten - so one in the ten gets a drop from captains, and all ten top damagers on a beacon?
The list isn't capped. If 100 people make the list for the captain, 100 of those people will have a shot at getting the random drop and 100 people will get one from the beacon.

It's also important to remember that "top attacker" is a bit of a misnomer, and just what we have ended up calling it out of habit. Your position on the "top attacker" list is the result of three factors including: damage dealt, damage received, and damage healed.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you add the lighthouse as a reward, deed form!!!!!!
If I ever submit my town banner for the town of Foghaven, the lighthouse will figure prominently in the banner. Now if I could just overcome that thing called procrastination...

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The list isn't capped. If 100 people make the list for the captain, 100 of those people will have a shot at getting the random drop and 100 people will get one from the beacon.

It's also important to remember that "top attacker" is a bit of a misnomer, and just what we have ended up calling it out of habit. Your position on the "top attacker" list is the result of three factors including: damage dealt, damage received, and damage healed.
Ah... interesting, we were slightly confused earlier because some who did small amounts of damage to the final stage of the beacon got nothing - so we assumed it may be a 'top ten' since there were a lot of people involved, and to be honest seeing more than ten at one time on Test to check this was very unusual ;) Essentially, then, you need to reach a threshold of damage done/damage received/damage healed to get there?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you damage the beacon... each time I am there, I can't do anything to it.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you damage the beacon... each time I am there, I can't do anything to it.
You'll see a message while you're fighting the invasion when the beacon becomes vulnerable. When a certain amount of damage is done, it'll become invulnerable again for awhile

Last edited:

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Gotta love spending 20 mins on a low pop shard killing a captain only to have others show up when its at 20% and take the minor arty! :/

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Gotta love spending 20 mins on a low pop shard killing a captain only to have others show up when its at 20% and take the minor arty! :/
Same thing happened to me when I had one down to 16%. Lucky for me one of the 2 guys who jumped in at 16% and got the drop tossed it on the ground. Class act. But the point remains I did 84% of the work and someone was able to come in at the last minute and reap the benefits of 20 minutes of my game effort.

Day 1 and I'm already done with this event. 4 hours and 4 points.

This has to be the grindiest experience ever in UO. Yeah I know I don't have to participate and I'm not going to.

Even is this event was to run for 4 or 5 years I don't see myself getting 100 points or wanting to. The grind just isn't worth it. It's more lucrative to spend my time farming other items.

All the MOBS have insanely high HCI/DCI. Those who are smart will just park a stealther by the lighthouse and wait for everyone to do the work and then just attack the lighthouse to get a guaranteed drop.

The MOBS should drop 3-5 Artifacts instead of 1 and the minor aritfacts should be worth 3-5 points instead of one.

You have scenerio where people are dying off left and right and a group of 15 people are fighting over a 1 in 15 chance for a drop worth 1 point. Gimme an effin' break.:thumbdown:

While I tip my hat to way the event was set up it's just not worth it spending 100 hours to get 100 points which appears to be the case, expecially as Claudia and I have experienced someone can come in at the last minute and yank your measly one point artifact away from you right under your nose.

Two thumbs down on this event.

Last edited:

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same thing happened to me when I had one down to 16%. Lucky for me one of the 2 guys who jumped in at 16% and got the drop tossed it on the ground. Class act. But the point remains I did 84% of the work and someone was able to come in at the last minute and reap the benefits of 20 minutes of my game effort.

Day 1 and I'm already done with this event. 4 hours and 4 points.

This has to be the grindiest experience ever in UO. Yeah I know I don't have to participate and I'm not going to.

Even is this event was to run for 4 or 5 years I don't see myself getting 100 points or wanting to. The grind just isn't worth it. It's more lucrative to spend my time farming other items.

All the MOBS have insanely high HCI/DCI. Those who are smart will just park a stealther by the lighthouse and wait for everyone to do the work and then just attack the lighthouse to get a guaranteed drop.

The MOBS should drop 3-5 Artifacts instead of 1 and the minor aritfacts should be worth 3-5 points instead of one.

You have scenerio where people are dying off left and right and a group of 15 people are fighting over a 1 in 15 chance for a drop worth 1 point. Gimme an effin' break.:thumbdown:

While I tip my hat to way the event was set up it's just not worth it spending 100 hours to get 100 points which appears to be the case, expecially as Claudia and I have experienced someone can come in at the last minute and yank your measly one point artifact away from you right under your nose.

Two thumbs down on this event.
This totally sums up this event.

YAWN fest.