• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic Shard #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Antonio Cataneo

Bye Ahu.

See you next week :)
do you think it's drugs? Or it's just egomaniac?
apart from that, i think that the penality for reds, when we are talking about stat loss, needs only the permanent loss tweak :) . If you lose 10% of every skill you have you will think 2 times before killing a noob, or some "useless" kill. In a classic shard composed of A LOT of vets who can defend themselves life will be harder for pks. PKS gank squads will be countered with blue ganking and whatsoever.

A

Antonio Cataneo

I'm all for enough PK penalties to prevent the Classic Shard from being what the game was that caused Tram to become nessesary.

No one playstyle should be allowed to actively, seriously block the ability of other playstyles to be fun to play. Going out where Reds wander should not be a near guarenteed dirtnap. No matter how much fun it happens to be for the Reds.

Nothing that I haven't mentioned in prior posts.

I think that you guys dramatizing about the fact that going out of guardzones means certain death are a overestimating the issue. Trammel was made to "Everquestizise" UO and appeal to MORE GAMERS , not to fix the PK issue (not totally at least) , and we are talking about whining noobs. If you don't like the risk vs reward system then go back and play samurai things or whatsover, people joining this classic shard should be aware of what kind of server it will be.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that you guys dramatizing about the fact that going out of guardzones means certain death are a overestimating the issue. Trammel was made to "Everquestizise" UO and appeal to MORE GAMERS , not to fix the PK issue (not totally at least) , and we are talking about whining noobs. If you don't like the risk vs reward system then go back and play samurai things or whatsover, people joining this classic shard should be aware of what kind of server it will be.
My comments are based on my own experience with PKers in fel back in the pre-AoS Tram days, and by what posters who were around back before Tram have said in the Classic Shard #1 thread. No dramatizing required. :)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

My comments are based on my own experience with PKers in fel back in the pre-AoS Tram days, and by what posters who were around back before Tram have said in the Classic Shard #1 thread. No dramatizing required. :)
Post-Tram Fel was totally different than Classic UO. Once Trammel was put in, any red in Fel was so desperate for someone to kill that they would attack any and everybody. By the time AoS came, a lot of those people had gotten bored of having no sheep...so they left.

Fel now, if you can even find anyone, is more just running around and PvPing for fun. There are no more PKs per se. Everyone in Fel just assumes that if you are in Fel that you know where you are, and that you are there to PvP. And they are right. If you go into an area specifically for PvP, it shouldn't come as much surprise that someone might try to PvP with you.

I get mixed reactions when I go to Fel. A lot of people recognize my stories and Classic Shard posts, so I get some pats on the back...but a lot for people try to kill me too because they think I am loud mouthed B***H. Which I am.

But comparing post-Tram Fel and Classic pre-Tram UO is invalid.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Trammel was made to "Everquestizise" UO and appeal to MORE GAMERS , not to fix the PK issue (not totally at least)
Yes...and no.

Yes...EverQuest played a major role in the decision.

No...it was definitely put in to address the PK problem. I don't really feel like doing it right now, but you can look up the HoC chats from the period and see that what I am saying is correct.

Trammel was one of a few options that were on the table at the time, and it was easier than trying multiple penalties for reds because the devs felt that they were under a time constraint. They wouldn't have been if they had started dealing with the issue earlier, when people first started quitting...but they felt like they were literally the only game in town...and they were, until EQ.

I think I frustrate people on both sides of the issue because I can see both sides of the matter clearly. I think non-con PvP should have remained a part of UO...but not to the extent that it was.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's comments like this that kill credibility.

First and foremost, NOTHING about UO even remotely resembles EQ, and vice versa, and never has. Now, if you want to compare UO, post AoS, to Diablo, Divinity, etc, then you have a valid comment. Otherwise, you're just making stuff up that you obviously have no clue about.

Secondly, calling anyone names here is a violation - and I'm getting tired of being called a noob, either directly or otherwise. You don't know me, or anyone else in this thread, nor do you know what their direct experiences were, nor are you in any position to speculate.

Finally, the reason some of us carebear, samurai playing whining noobs are here arguing for something a little more contained than the FFA gankfest you are calling for is we really don't want to see this happen, only to have it shut down for the same reasons Trammel was created in the first place. Which, contrary to your assumptions, are incorrect, and based on false information, or false usage of said information.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

I've got to back Guido on the whole "Tram was created to Everquestize UO thing" Raph Koster, Designer Dragon himself said during a chat in Star Wars Galaxies that the whole reason they made Trammel was because UO had allready lost subscriptions in the six digits (read at least 100,000 paying subscribers) because of FFA PVP (read PKs). So for all you guys saying PK's weren't a problem and it was just a few whining noobs, well numbers show otherwise. Myself, I do think the old system might work out on a classic shard simply because anyone who logs onto it knows what to expect, but I also expect there to be people who've never played a non-con pvp game. If we want the classic shard to thrive we'll have to help protect those people. I don't know if Anti-PK guilds will be enough, they weren't enough last time, thus more and more penalties for murderers came.

I like Morgana's Exile idea, it would give dungeon crawling a very risky aspect, but I don't think that if they go into Exile they should be able to leave whenever they want. That defeats the purpose of being in exile. It's a slippery slope because if they can't leave exile in the end it could become a big turkey shoot after a few days when the reds can't re-equip because one or two groups of blues have come through, killed them, dry looted them etc, but if they can, they can re-equip but it defeats the purpose of the "punishment". Maybe a "smuggler" type NPC in the dungeons that allows access to their banks, or will sell them GM quality gear and a limited amount of regs, and withdraw the gold automatically from their bank would be one way to get around the re-equipping issue.

I also like some of the other disincentives that have been posted. Personally I like the idea of classic statloss and murderer punishments (ie. not able to deal with NPC's outside of bucs) along with a few modifications:

No perma-red system.
Murder Counts decay at the rate of 1 per 24 hours unless you are in Exile then it would decay at the rate of 1 every 4 hours.
Murder Counts will only decay if your character is alive.
No beneficial actions able to be done to reds by blues.
If you have a murder count you can't recall once you are attacked.
You can only rez at a chaos shrine or shrines inside of dungeons. There would have to be some sort of option to auto-port you to the mainland if you die on an island etc. where you can't get to a gate.
Other reds can heal you and rez you.

I think these disincentives for rampant killing of noobs and crafters would give the true PvPers the challenge they want, while keeping the mindless ganker population down to a minimum. The only problems I can foresee is exploitation of the Rep system to get around murder counts and deletion of characters to make a new one, but if skill gain is kept to early T2A levels I don't think that would be too much of a problem.

*edit* Not being a coder I don't know how hard it would be to make an exile system. If due to budgetary constraints such a system would be implausible, why not tweak the murder count system so that counts only decay if you are alive and in an "advanced" anti-virtue dungeon like Wrong, Destard, Deciet, or Hythloth. "Beginner" dungeons like Covetous and Despise would be dungeons where murder count's would not decay.*edit*

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

*edit* Not being a coder I don't know how hard it would be to make an exile system. If due to budgetary constraints such a system would be implausible, why not tweak the murder count system so that counts only decay if you are alive and in an "advanced" anti-virtue dungeon like Wrong, Destard, Deciet, or Hythloth. "Beginner" dungeons like Covetous and Despise would be dungeons where murder count's would not decay.*edit*
It's as simple as adding a flag. When a player says "I wish to enter exile" a check is made against their murder counts. If > 0, exile= 2. As long as the exile flag is on, position is locked in a specific parameter based on the choice of the red. The murder counts 'burn off' at X rate. Stat loss does not apply. Can't be reported for murder. When exile= 0, position is not locked, murder counts do not burn off, stat loss applies, can be reported for murder. Another condition can exist, exile= 1 (passive exile). When exile=1 (whenever the player is in a dungeon) murder counts burn off at X/1.5, can be reported for murder, stat loss applies, position is not locked.

It wouldn't be very hard at all.

Also, in doing some research, it would seem that the client can ignore AoS, Trammel, SE, ML, SA, and Ilshenar...all with the change of a single variable for each*. Imagine that...

So, by simply taking existing code, and changing a handful of variables, a semi-Classic environment can be obtained. There would be:

- No Trammel
- No AoS or AoS properties
- No Samurai Empire
- No Mondain's Legacy
- No Stygian Abyss
- No Ilshenar

Now, there would still be items, but those are just a matter of shutting off item IDs x-y.

Anyone else still think a Classic Shard would take 2 years??

rolleyes:

*edit: This is using a popular server emulator. However, the client receives it's information in one way only. Emulators do exactly that...they take scripts and code and converts them into instructions the client understands. So before pointing out that emulators are different than EA server code...consider that the client itself is the exact same client...and it is fed in only one way. So when it looks for specific instructions, it is looking for variables in these cases.

Is there anyone out there that is experienced with emulators (without naming any of them) that would be willing to chime in on this? Or better yet...an actual UO developer? If I am wrong here, I'd like to know it...because based on what I have found over the last several hours, the client can very easily be manipulated into essentially thinking that certain things simply don't exist. And when I say very easily...I mean VERY easily.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, in doing some research, it would seem that the client can ignore AoS, Trammel, SE, ML, SA, and Ilshenar...all with the change of a single variable for each*. Imagine that...

So, by simply taking existing code, and changing a handful of variables, a semi-Classic environment can be obtained. There would be:

- No Trammel
- No AoS or AoS properties
- No Samurai Empire
- No Mondain's Legacy
- No Stygian Abyss
- No Ilshenar

Now, there would still be items, but those are just a matter of shutting off item IDs x-y.

Anyone else still think a Classic Shard would take 2 years??

*edit: This is using a popular server emulator. However, the client receives it's information in one way only. Emulators do exactly that...they take scripts and code and converts them into instructions the client understands. So before pointing out that emulators are different than EA server code...consider that the client itself is the exact same client...and it is fed in only one way. So when it looks for specific instructions, it is looking for variables in these cases.

Is there anyone out there that is experienced with emulators (without naming any of them) that would be willing to chime in on this? Or better yet...an actual UO developer? If I am wrong here, I'd like to know it...because based on what I have found over the last several hours, the client can very easily be manipulated into essentially thinking that certain things simply don't exist. And when I say very easily...I mean VERY easily.
Yes and Yes.

Like I have posted before many times, there are cheaper and better options than a Classic shard, like a production only PvP shard or a production only Tram shard or shard without AOS properties. Thank you for coming around to my point of view.

On the other hand there is a massive list of what is a Classic shard. Trust me, it is longer than the current list. It is not just a couple of ifs and changing 1s to 0s. Some parts will need total recoding, and testing vs 2 clients and vs 3 rulesets. Then when it launches, you will have bugs and purists saying it does not have this and that etc, all sorts of balancing issues etc. So yes, a Classic shard 2 years of development. Think KR client or EC client or whatever it is called now. Conversely a production only PvP shard or a production only Tram shard or shard without AOS properties, is an order of magnitude faster.

I believe you dont need to build a Classic shard to bring back PvPers, just a PvP shard. Similarly a tram only shard will bring back non-PvPers, and if you really think AOS properties is the cause of all problems, then zap that on the new shards as well.

F

fantasy10k

Yes and Yes.

Like I have posted before many times, there are cheaper and better options than a Classic shard, like a production only PvP shard or a production only Tram shard or shard without AOS properties. Thank you for coming around to my point of view.

On the other hand there is a massive list of what is a Classic shard. Trust me, it is longer than the current list. It is not just a couple of ifs and changing 1s to 0s. Some parts will need total recoding, and testing vs 2 clients and vs 3 rulesets. Then when it launches, you will have bugs and purists saying it does not have this and that etc, all sorts of balancing issues etc. So yes, a Classic shard 2 years of development. Think KR client or EC client or whatever it is called now. Conversely a production only PvP shard or a production only Tram shard or shard without AOS properties, is an order of magnitude faster.

I believe you dont need to build a Classic shard to bring back PvPers, just a PvP shard. Similarly a tram only shard will bring back non-PvPers, and if you really think AOS properties is the cause of all problems, then zap that on the new shards as well.
It took around 2 months to do a t2a shard as a freeshard, how can it take longer for the devs?
People will not come back just because they open up a only fel shard , because it will still have Aos and all thoose **** expansions.
It need pre aos or it wont be successful.

A

Antonio Cataneo

First and foremost, NOTHING about UO even remotely resembles EQ, and vice versa, and never has. Now, if you want to compare UO, post AoS, to Diablo, Divinity, etc, then you have a valid comment. Otherwise, you're just making stuff up that you obviously have no clue about.

Secondly, calling anyone names here is a violation - and I'm getting tired of being called a noob, either directly or otherwise. You don't know me, or anyone else in this thread, nor do you know what their direct experiences were, nor are you in any position to speculate.

Finally, the reason some of us carebear, samurai playing whining noobs are here arguing for something a little more contained than the FFA gankfest you are calling for is we really don't want to see this happen, only to have it shut down for the same reasons Trammel was created in the first place. Which, contrary to your assumptions, are incorrect, and based on false information, or false usage of said information.
No one called you a noob, i dunno who you are and i don't really care, if you felt called "a noob" from me it only means you feel yourself as the latter :). It wouldn't be a gankfest because the playerbase, as i said and will continue repeating when needed, is DIFFERENT and "prepared" to counter by PLAYER MEANS the unbalancing parties. How hard is to make a "Recall->target the rune" macro in Uoassist ? we are not talking of 300+ pings and the server lag of the 1999. At the end, even if before trammel was created they were "bleeding subscriptions" (because the carebears were going to their proper environment) because of PK'ing , ITS NOT AN ISSUE FOR A CLASSIC SHARD! We don't need to populate 100000 worth of server space, we are talking about reachinga SIGHTLY LOWER playerbase, of populating ONE server, without robbing people from production shards and bringing back new subscribers. CLASSIC SHARD IS ABOUT GIVING AN OPTION TO A CERTAIN TYPE OF CUSTOMERS, THE ONES THAT LIKE RISK VS REWARD SYSTEM!

HD2300:A "PVP-SHARD" you say ? Well it's faster to play "call of duty" than a "AoS switch off" shard. Many points even on a felucca only shard with the actual gameplay mechanics would be unbalanced, and really wrong. I can see the hard fail of such a shard .

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Post-Tram Fel was totally different than Classic UO. Once Trammel was put in, any red in Fel was so desperate for someone to kill that they would attack any and everybody. By the time AoS came, a lot of those people had gotten bored of having no sheep...so they left.
Thats certainly how it was.

Fel now, if you can even find anyone, is more just running around and PvPing for fun. There are no more PKs per se. Everyone in Fel just assumes that if you are in Fel that you know where you are, and that you are there to PvP. And they are right. If you go into an area specifically for PvP, it shouldn't come as much surprise that someone might try to PvP with you..
I stopped doing much in fel after uber-items made it nearly impossible to win a fight in fel. I couldn't put in the UO playtime to obtain the uber-items so I had to quit foraging there even with 600 of the 700 skill points in combat skills. Skills vs Skills/Uber-items was not a winnable contest. The curse of AoS.

[I get mixed reactions when I go to Fel. A lot of people recognize my stories and Classic Shard posts, so I get some pats on the back...but a lot for people try to kill me too because they think I am loud mouthed B***H. Which I am..
You have no problem speaking your mind, no doubt about that. :) It's hardly a fault though. I liked that quality in a woman back in my younger days. Has it's pros & cons, but was definitely the preferable personality. A woman who won't or can't speak her mind is boring.

[But comparing post-Tram Fel and Classic pre-Tram UO is invalid.
The only knowledge I have of pre-Tram UO comes from posts made by others. Taken with a couple kilo-tons of salt in some cases. <g>

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I frustrate people on both sides of the issue because I can see both sides of the matter clearly. I think non-con PvP should have remained a part of UO...but not to the extent that it was.
That's sadly a rare ability. About as common as Common Sense unfortunately. This world would have a lot less conflicts in it if Joe and George could see things from the others viewpoint.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one called you a noob, i dunno who you are and i don't really care, if you felt called "a noob" from me it only means you feel yourself as the latter :). It wouldn't be a gankfest because the playerbase, as i said and will continue repeating when needed, is DIFFERENT and "prepared" to counter by PLAYER MEANS the unbalancing parties. How hard is to make a "Recall->target the rune" macro in Uoassist ? we are not talking of 300+ pings and the server lag of the 1999. At the end, even if before trammel was created they were "bleeding subscriptions" (because the carebears were going to their proper environment) because of PK'ing , ITS NOT AN ISSUE FOR A CLASSIC SHARD! We don't need to populate 100000 worth of server space, we are talking about reachinga SIGHTLY LOWER playerbase, of populating ONE server, without robbing people from production shards and bringing back new subscribers. CLASSIC SHARD IS ABOUT GIVING AN OPTION TO A CERTAIN TYPE OF CUSTOMERS, THE ONES THAT LIKE RISK VS REWARD SYSTEM!

HD2300:A "PVP-SHARD" you say ? Well it's faster to play "call of duty" than a "AoS switch off" shard. Many points even on a felucca only shard with the actual gameplay mechanics would be unbalanced, and really wrong. I can see the hard fail of such a shard .
Read your posts as if they were writen by someone else to you. I suspect you would get the same impression he does. :)

I'm getting close to adding a third name to my Ignore List just to get rid of them.

E

Evlar

At this stage, I'm not really interested in the bickering, E-penis waving, or post count tennis side of the discussion here.

I'm simply interested in what the general consensus is regarding what the majority of players want to see in a classic shard, along with any input from the developers as to what's realistic for us to expect. What's feasible for them to provide.

I don't think we're going to get any of that sort of feedback from the developers for some considerable time, because understandably, they have other priorities to resolve first. Mindful of that, I would imagine we're a good year away from anything to actually start moving properly. I could be wrong though. *shrugs*

I think that rather than any of us trying to quote defacto logistics, projected player numbers, etc, without any hard evidence, we really do need input from those "in the know" - the developers.

If they do care to respond with their thoughts about a classic shard, we should perhaps welcome and absorb their suggestions and input. Without such input, this discussion isn't really going anywhere, other than in circles.

What I'm suggesting, isn't that they need to make committed statements at this stage, but rather that they do engage with us. They are the only people that can make this happen after all, so I for one would appreciate their thoughts. If they do care to comment, then perhaps we should listen to their thoughts, take stock of what they say, without necessarily jumping all over their comments.

I'll hold my hands up and say frankly, that I have perhaps been guilty of jumping to conclusions with the very brief comments Cal has made in the former thread. I do think though, that given the momentum of interest, it is time perhaps, that Cal or any of the other developers who have been involved in their in-house discussions, to join the discussion here. To share their thoughts about the mechanics of such a venture.

Mindful of what I've just said, I've nothing further to add, until such a time that the developers are able to comment more themselves.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple Morgana. Monsters don't get thier childish jollies by ganking you. Pkers get their thrill by ruining the fun of others. They chase you down, kill your character, and take what you've worked for, and will do it over, & over, & over, to you and others for the thrill of griefing other players. A monster won't chase you or lie in ambush for you just for the fun of ruining your game experience. You can have fun in game around monsters because they don't act the way PKers do. You can make the effort to gain some treasure and probably get home with it around monsters. With PKers, you likely can't. You've made comments in posts in the first thread that show your able to understand this. Your not a potential Darwin Award winner.
Seems like you've got the narrow minded opinion that all PKs kill in order to grief. Quite frankly, that sort of wide sweeping generalization shows your lack of awareness that there were PKs who would kill because that was they way they made their profit.

A non-PvPer doesn't get thier jollies by being jumped by jerks and losing what they've accomplished between OOOoooOOOoooing sessions. We like to achieve something. Have something to show for our time in game besides having to find a healer again, re-equip again, try to achieve something again, and getting PKed and ripped off again.
Already starting to sound like a broken record here with this whole "griefing me and ripping me off" deal. Bank often and travel lightly in high profile areas.

I have foragers who can likely kick rump one on one, but it wouldn't be one on one after I dirtnapped a few single PKers, would it? It would be several on one and another OOOoooOOOooo session. We get a gang together to forage, we'd just draw more PKers. The play seesion would be PvP, not PvM or foraging. We don't get to play how we want to, but the PKers do. Either way, our fun is ruined.
So you make the supposition that you have a "forager" (what the hell is that anyway?) that can kill a few PKers 1 on 1. Then after dirtnapping a few of these PKers, you claim that they would come back in a group. Yet, at the same time, you claim that these PKers are constantly killing players for grief, which would undoubtedly put many of them DEEP into stat-loss (after all, if they were playing the whole PK thing in a smart fashion, they wouldn't kill too many people).

A Classic Shard with mildly restrained or completely unrestarined PKing will drive out the non-PvPers and Crafters like they did 10 years ago, and then leave again because the game is no fun for them. They have no one elses fun to ruin.
Good thing that no one has suggested mildly restrained or unrestrained PKing.

So, things in your house are going to just decay?

If you will remember, lock downs were put in when decay was added (server item wipes). Prior to this, people would just hide bags behind trees, etc. full of stuff. It would just stay there. But the servers were getting so full of items that they had to turn on decay...this was pretty early on.

Lock downs were definitely around in T2A.
Actually, this isn't quite right.

The original lock down system that was introduced in November 98 included a minimal number of lock downs for houses and didn't include item decay (there was also no item decay on boats either). It wasn't until phase 3 of the housing changes on January 24, 2000 that we saw the larger lock down limit with co-owners and item decay.

Also, Corgain, if you're advocating for a true "classic" server, you might as well mention the absolutely broken system for PvP as well, where a player who wasn't an archer was practically useless against any other character. Also, we can't forget 3 minute delays between heal attempts and the introduction of the reputation system that brought the end to stat-loss on death and emptying bank boxes for reds and didn't include long-term murder counts, thus leading to a major problem with blue PKing. Or, if you want, we could go with early January 98 and still have the notoriety system and fireballs cast by mages that could run and cast that killed you in 2 shots. Or we could go really old school and forget the entire bounty system, stat-loss, and emptying bank boxes and also bring back bugged instant kill weapons. Or, if you wanted, we could go "mid-age" classic and have insta hit, unresistable poison, double hit, and a prep timer that was buggy and gave halberds a major advantage. In any case, pick your poison if you're going to say that we need to stay classic to a specific point in time.

Sure there are. Is it just that the pro-Classic side cant provide anything plausible to show that a Classic shard will be beneficial to UO.

Businesses and people make decisions and crunch the numbers all the time. Which is the best option, should I drive to work which will save time, or should I use public transport which will save money. Should I pay EA to play a Classic shard, or should I just play a free Classic shard. Should the Classic shard be the next expansion or should hobbits or pirates be the next expansion. It doesnt need to be 100% accurate, just ball park accurate enough to make the right decision.
Yawn, it sure was convenient to miss my post in the other thread responding to this. So, I'll post it again:

Lets crunch the numbers. At the Tram-Fel split there were 260,000 subscribers. Estimates put the number of PvPers at 90-95%.

So lets just assume that Classic shard will target 130,000 PvPers.

Interest is only in additional profit, that is, new subscribers to UO.

Lets assume based on the fact that freeshards offer a very different product (in almost all cases) for free and that there are other alternatives such as Darkfall and possibly soon Mortal Online, we get 100% initial interest. That is 130,000 new subscribers. Assuming there will be a 50% gain rate after 6 months, this means 195,000 ongoing new subscribers.

So are 195,000 new ongoing subscribers worth 6 months of development, minor bug fixing + balancing and ongoing bug fixing + content development? Will 195,000 new subscribers, offset the high risk of subscribers on production shards leaving when there is no new content during much of this 6 month period?

Expand the guard zones - make areas where gatherers can actually be safe - to me, it's utterly stupid and hypocritical to want to go back to a time when the smith and tailor were an admired class of people, only to also make them subject to wanton and pointless killing at the same time.
Then any solution should be aimed at making targeting those who have little or nothing to lose less appealing, if this is your goal.

So right now, would anyone say that they are firmly against extra PK penalties of any kind? Or just against the ideas that have been posted in the other thread?

Anyone else have any ideas?
I am against most of the ideas in the other thread because they prove to be exploitable in a way that is unique to that system and isn't just a ubiquitous loophole that could be exploited under any system. Unfortunately, I am particularly against exile (no offense intended in this distaste). I do have a response that I drafted up a while back pointing out the problems that I saw with the system. I won't post them in this post, but if you want, I can put my points out there.

I don't necessarily think that Trammel was entirely for one thing or another. However I do see 2 and a half things that Trammel was designed to appeal to:

• The current player who didn't want to deal with the risk vs reward system.
  • To catch some of the new customer base that was seen in Everquest (this could be argued that some of the current UO player base wanted a EQ style game in terms of loot and is really only a half point).
  • To relive the issues with housing (this was a major issue at the time and is reflected in HoC chats).

It does in terms of the loss of loot (the intended result of the time investment).

I've got to back Guido on the whole "Tram was created to Everquestize UO thing" Raph Koster, Designer Dragon himself said during a chat in Star Wars Galaxies that the whole reason they made Trammel was because UO had allready lost subscriptions in the six digits (read at least 100,000 paying subscribers) because of FFA PVP (read PKs).
I would like to see the actual quote myself (not picking on you specifically for this, it was just the most recent post mentioning the quote), just to make sure that it isn't being taken out of context one way or another.

]The only knowledge I have of pre-Tram UO comes from posts made by others. Taken with a couple kilo-tons of salt in some cases. <g>
Well, that certainly explains your wild assumptions quoted above.

A

Antonio Cataneo

Read your posts as if they were writen by someone else to you. I suspect you would get the same impression he does. :)

I'm getting close to adding a third name to my Ignore List just to get rid of them.
i think it's my english skills fault's , but i can't improve overnight so i can't do anything else apart from explaining myself further and further. I only want to partecipate this discussion with my opinions, nothing more nothing less.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forager

From the trend of your post, I take it you favor the PK playstyle? <g>
The question was rhetorical and is meant to point out that saying you were a forager is about as useful as saying I was an orator (it says nothing about your play style because scavenging for things functionally uses no skills, as does talking).

Also, I don't favor the PK play style. I do, however, recognize a sweeping generalization when I see one.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Seems like you've got the narrow minded opinion that all PKs kill in order to grief. Quite frankly, that sort of wide sweeping generalization shows your lack of awareness that there were PKs who would kill because that was they way they made their profit.
See, the problem with PKs making their profit is that it was never their profit to begin with. The argument that it should be acceptable to players to be killed and looted so that someone else can essentially steal what that player has earned is ... well ...crazy.

I am not advocating for no PKing, but I think that everyone needs to be honest with themselves. If you want to play a PK, there should be some risks to you as well. The enormous profit potential of that particular play style compared to other play styles should mean that the risks are equally enormous. I am all in favor of the risk vs. reward model, as long as it is not a hypocritical model.

In old UO, it was far easier to be a PK than it was to do anything else. You didn't even need to work your skills up if you travelled in a gank-squad. Every kill yielded up 10-20x the loot you would find on a monster (assuming you were not killing miners and lumberjacks), and on average the risk to the PK was essentially zero as the odds were 4-1. By the time the player got rez'ed, got help, and came back...the PKs were gone along with the player's stuff. Only the stupidest PKs, and the ones that were doing it only for the fun of PvPing, would stick around after a gank.

There should be risks on BOTH sides. If the Classic Shard launches with risks only for PvMers and crafters, you won't see those people in any significant numbers...and I think a Classic Shard would be better off if it had them.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

I would like to see the actual quote myself (not picking on you specifically for this, it was just the most recent post mentioning the quote), just to make sure that it isn't being taken out of context one way or another.
Working on that quote, the hardest part is the old SWG forums where it was posted were wiped shortly after that debacle that Sony called the New Game Enhancements. Kinda like the debacle called Age of Shadows. The wayback machine doesn't even have a copy of many of those forums. I do however have a couple of Raph Koster's comments on PK's etc. Most are pretty insightful things.

In the real world, we have fingerprints, descriptions, birth records, dental records, family histories, school records, etc. It's been well-explored in jillions of dimestore thrillers how thoroughly someone can vanish if they do not have the above elements present. Yet in the virtual environment everyone lacks those elements. They are ALWAYS a persona.

Now, do outraged citizens eventually catch up with The Jerk? Yes. But whereas in the real world a criminal who escapes from the scene of more than say 20 murders is literally one in a million, a virtual criminal can easily rack up hundreds of times the kill count.

There's an oddball factor complicating this. The consequences for the aggressor are light, "virtual", easily shrugged off. The consequences for the VICTIM are often traumatic, deeply troubling, not easily recovered from, and quite real. Not every virtual citizen is going to see their murder in the virtual setting as a crime; but many will. My experience is that far more than half of them will. Doing simple math, that shows us that the societal impact of a jerk like this (on the virtual society) is much worse than it is in the real world (on the real society).

Tossing in other things that factor into this: there's a general lack of major support structures for victims, in the virtual setting (family, friends, Salvation Army, what have you); and it's very easy for a traumatized victim to just "check out" of your virtual environment and thus not deal with the trauma.

This means that you hemorrhage players. Yes, the ones that "couldn't stand the heat" and therefore get out of the kitchen... but still. Particularly if you are a commercial endeavor, but even if you aren't, this is a real serious problem.

To put it crudely:

In the real world, a serial killer kills 5 people before he is caught. He never kills again. You end up with 5 dead people, and maybe another few who give up on life because of it.

In the virtual world, a "virtual sociopath" (my term for those who take actions against others in the virtual context because they do not see virtual social mores as real) kills 50 characters before he is caught and killed. You end up with 50 dead characters, out of which 5 quit the mud, eg are actually "dead" to the context. You also end up with another 5 who quit because they saw their friend killed--also "dead". And our killer returns to kill again the next day under a different name, effectively anonymous.

One pitfall here is that in any system where you can kill both monsters and players, players will always be more rewarding. They will have more smarts, an excellent level of challenge to them, a wide selection of potential targets, and likely, a greater diversity and greater quantity of treasure, rewards, goodies, etc. I find this to be axiomatic. The question is how much risk they offer, and how much other penalty the killer may accrue for his actions. But in a flat choice, which is more rewarding "before taxes" I believe players always win, hands down.
Sorry for posting almost the whole article but it was hard to pare that one down without someone saying I was misconstruing what he was trying to say ect. This was taken from Enforcing More's Online

Kind of puts a little light on how non-con pvp affects people and companies, but then again we can see that because we now have trammel and a dead fellucca facet.

Hoarding caused all sorts of disastrous problems, of course, culminating in special measures like the Clean Up Britannia campaign. We broke the gold loop, and instead let currency float to the equilibrium point with the actual drains we had in the game.

And there it stayed, stable for quite a long time. Massive hoards were broken up as players quit and houses decayed leaving stuff to decay--or when they decided to break up the hoard to give to friends, many of whom lost large sums. Much wealth was redistributed via jerks, actually, and to a degree they were a positive economic force because they were so rich already they let lots of people's wealth decay away too. :p (my b, i, and u by the way)
Taken from The Evolution of UO's Economy
Great commentary on UO economics and how PK's and PvPers are essential in creating a stable economy. Again we can see that in how items that used to only cost maybe 1500 gold can now cost hundreds of thousands.

This is where I am silly and idealistic and all that jazz. And I am sure someone somewhere is going to take offense at what I am about to say.

The pre-Trammel UO player towns decided to do something difficult. So difficult that most of them failed. They collaborated against the odds and built communities and established social standards by dealing with the world and the way it worked.

The post-Trammel UO cities are bunches of friends hanging out together.

I see a qualitative difference. As I said, I know the current player towns thrive and are loads of fun. But I also see them as very "casual" communities in some ways, and I don't see them as being empowered in any way. They have zero struggle to exist, and are fundamentally just cliques.
Taken from Is the Future in Smaller Muds?

Obviously Raph knows about risk vs. reward and the reason so many of us pine for the classic times. The community that was formed by the common interactions between everybody weather it be an Anti-Pk guild forming to help protect a certain player establishment, shop, etc, or a town of RPers fighting to protect themselves from PK's and other people.

One final thing I will provide a link toUO's Postmortem

Please note he does say it makes UO out to seem worse than it really was.
One good quote from it that I think I should end on is basically saying in my opinion that without strong disincentives for PK's a classic server will fail. Again that is my interpretation of the quote, take from it what you will.
I still believe that running servers themed around PvP or not is also a bit of a waste of time. The amount of wolves who want to play on a wolf-only server is way smaller than the total amount of wolves, and generally speaking, wolf-only servers are extremely underpopulated. You might as well devote those resources elsewhere.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The pre-Trammel UO player towns decided to do something difficult. So difficult that most of them failed. They collaborated against the odds and built communities and established social standards by dealing with the world and the way it worked.

The post-Trammel UO cities are bunches of friends hanging out together.
Exactly!

D

dum3886

COm'n HD..give it a rest... as much as i agree that a classic shard MAY flop... it also may not... and as UO is atm.. it is dying and they gotta do something drastic... people who say prove it? go to oceania please... there is ur fricken proof... a shard that went from a healthy population to one that accommodates for a handful of people and a bunch of scripters from other shards lol. T2A period... a very healthy population a real community... erly pub16 i quit... when i came back 2007... mm was ok... made friends quite easily acouple big guilds still around... when i quit in 2009... probably less than 5 guilds only like 2-3 big ones.. excluding guilds that fit like 2 ppl etc...

I personally know at a few people that would come back if UO had a classic shard... and if i know like 2-3.. and someone else knows 2-3... etc... eventually it does get a decent population base. And based on how stubborn pro-classic uoers are... i dun think they would ever leave hahaha... i know i won't i have been following stratics for wat 8 yrs? waiting for a fix of he pub16 bug lol.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

I think the Raph quote about Pre-Tram communities is spot on, but it's more than just the player towns, it was also the player run tavern and shoppes. Those also fused the community together.

T

theoldclint

only one question from me: what's so difficult to understand about "classic UO"?
either the devs create a t2a-accurate shard or they don't. the only reason I'm lingering is to see whether or not a classic shard is made and oldschoolers are given a second chance at playing the game that defined MMOs.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

only one question from me: what's so difficult to understand about "classic UO"?

either the devs create a t2a-accurate shard or they don't.
You understand that T2A lasted from 98 through 2000, right?

Which publish would you suggest they pick from? What bug fixes that came after that?

I think those are the primary points.

But also, if the devs are working backward from existing code and turning things off, how close does it need to get for you?

This is why we are having these discussions...so that hopefully the devs will understand what we all want when/if they start working on this thing.

Just asking for T2A is like asking for the 1980's. It was an era, not one specific thing.

T

theoldclint

You understand that T2A lasted from 98 through 2000, right?

Which publish would you suggest they pick from? What bug fixes that came after that?

I think those are the primary points.

But also, if the devs are working backward from existing code and turning things off, how close does it need to get for you?

This is why we are having these discussions...so that hopefully the devs will understand what we all want when/if they start working on this thing.

Just asking for T2A is like asking for the 1980's. It was an era, not one specific thing.
I don't care which publish of t2a is implemented, that's a debate of semantics. all I want is a UO world without trammel or anything else from UO:R or later.
don't even pretend implementing such a thing would be difficult for the devs given that derrick has accomplished just that on his own with limited help from unpaid contributors.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I don't care which publish of t2a is implemented, that's a debate of semantics. all I want is a UO world without trammel or anything else from UO:R or later.
Amen brother!! I can live with that!

don't even pretend implementing such a thing would be difficult for the devs given that derrick has accomplished just that on his own with limited help from unpaid contributors.
Me?

No, I have no doubt that setting up a Classic Shard would be far easier than some people think.

But...

...setting up a Classic Shard that had 'NOTHING' after T2A...that might be a little more difficult than some other people think.

You can't accurately compare what freeshards do to what the UO Dev Team does. I have said it before, and I will say it again, freeshard code is VERY, VERY, different than UO server code.

To fully understand this, think of the client as a television set. The TV itself can't do anything, it just reproduces images based on the signals it receives. The same is true from the UO client. With no server feed, there is no game. What freeshards do is use something called a server emulator. These were made by reverse engineering the client (as rumor has it, the first emulator was more or less invented because the creators of it were trying to create hacks that changed what the client sent and received to the OSI servers...but that's not really important now). The client itself takes in data, and essentially draws the game you play by accessing graphics files that are client side. The server essentially throws numbers at the client that it translates into what you see. If you ever see a freeshard, from the server-side, it is all text based...no graphics at all.

So what these guys did when they created server emulators is to essentially trick the television (the client) into displaying whatever they tell it to display. But the code for these emulators is written in an entirely different way.

Make sense?

But that does not mean that the UO server code cannot be altered to achieve a similar effect. The client can really only receive information in a single way, so what emulators do is to take non standard code (as in different than OSI/EA code) and translate it into what the client can understand. With that said, it makes perfect sense that the EA code can be changed in a similar way to achieve the same effect...it's just a question of how much work would it actually require to do exactly what needs to be done.

From what I can tell from testing the client with emulators, the changes to get rid of Trammel, AoS, the later expansions, lots of items, certain pets, etc. would not be that numerous. However, changing everything to behave exactly like it did in T2A (pick your publish here because they are all different) would be a pretty grand undertaking. I don't think the 2 years estimates we have seen from certain posters is accurate, but I don't think it would be something that could be coded in a short amount of time (less than 3 months) either.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to the site. 4th line from the bottom says, "Second Age is running XXXXXX 2.0 on a high-end dedicated server." If you follow the setup instructions, you can setup a XXXXX 2.0 server in less than a day.

I am sure that derrick has done heaps of extra work to build upon the open source XXXXX 2.0 and is an awesome coder.

XXXXX 2.0 is in C#. EA servers are in C++. They are like 98% the same.

Yes you can provide numbers, but if you repeat falsehoods like "Al Gore invented the Internet" and ManBearPig enough times, many people will think they are true.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I am sure that derrick has done heaps of extra work to build upon the open source XXXXX 2.0 and is an awesome coder.
Fact is, he probably hasn't. Adjusting that particular emulator to function more like T2A is more a question of (a)knowing how T2A functioned and (b) adjusting scripts (C# scripts) to reflect this...not changing the .net code the emulator written in.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See, the problem with PKs making their profit is that it was never their profit to begin with. The argument that it should be acceptable to players to be killed and looted so that someone else can essentially steal what that player has earned is ... well ...crazy.
Well, not really. The profit belonged to whoever managed to get the profit into a secure location where it couldn't be stolen or taken by being PKed. At the end of the day, that could be the PK or the person who originally put in the time investment.

I am not advocating for no PKing, but I think that everyone needs to be honest with themselves. If you want to play a PK, there should be some risks to you as well. The enormous profit potential of that particular play style compared to other play styles should mean that the risks are equally enormous. I am all in favor of the risk vs. reward model, as long as it is not a hypocritical model.
I posted the numbers in the other thread regarding profit from PKing, and a PK that didn't take stat loss wasn't capable of bringing in a profit in comparison to a player in the 70's for their skill. And in order to reach their best case scenario, they had to stay logged in 24/7 and kill absolutely perfect victims all the time. Ultimately, the PK who kills for profit will take an extreme risk if they are turning an enormous profit (on the order of deleting their character if they PKed perfect targets for more than maybe a couple of weeks while staying logged in 24/7).

In old UO, it was far easier to be a PK than it was to do anything else. You didn't even need to work your skills up if you travelled in a gank-squad. Every kill yielded up 10-20x the loot you would find on a monster (assuming you were not killing miners and lumberjacks), and on average the risk to the PK was essentially zero as the odds were 4-1. By the time the player got rez'ed, got help, and came back...the PKs were gone along with the player's stuff. Only the stupidest PKs, and the ones that were doing it only for the fun of PvPing, would stick around after a gank.
The gank is the cure-all to every single system that can be put into place short of a system that punishes PKs while still alive. This is where player justice has to come into play. This can be slightly mitigated through barring recall or gate while a criminal or aggressor (no KOP when the waters get too hot for the PK), but this has practically no effect on a group of PKs anyway, as will all other systems.

There should be risks on BOTH sides. If the Classic Shard launches with risks only for PvMers and crafters, you won't see those people in any significant numbers...and I think a Classic Shard would be better off if it had them.
There is risk on both sides for the PK who kills for profit and the PvMer in a high(er) profile area. The inherent risk of farming in those areas is that the PvMer presents a much more lucrative kill, and the PK risks stat-loss in order to turn a profit through that play style over that of a PvMer in those areas. At that level, the system works. However the system does need to be adjusted for those who inherently present a lower profit so that they are less appealing to PKers. This generally includes PvMers who are in low profile areas (graveyards, newbie dungeons such as despise, etc.) and crafters gathering resources.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

and the PK risks stat-loss in order to turn a profit through that play style over that of a PvMer in those areas. At that level, the system works.
No it doesn't because the PK never actually suffers stat-loss. He/she simply UM's off their counts while they sleep.

Actually, anyone that has 2 accounts can pull a multi-client hack (not even necessary if you don't mind putting up with the EC) and just UM while still playing on another account.

So while in theory the system might work, it fails in practice because few...if any...actually suffer stat loss.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I posted the numbers in the other thread regarding profit from PKing, and a PK that didn't take stat loss wasn't capable of bringing in a profit in comparison to a player in the 70's for their skill. And in order to reach their best case scenario, they had to stay logged in 24/7 and kill absolutely perfect victims all the time. Ultimately, the PK who kills for profit will take an extreme risk if they are turning an enormous profit (on the order of deleting their character if they PKed perfect targets for more than maybe a couple of weeks while staying logged in 24/7).
Untrue.

A PvM, in Classic UO, would have no chance of solo'ing a Dragon without the EV/BS bug...so, let's just consider Orcish Lords. Orcish Lords used to give about 500 gold, and another 200-400 in loot. So you are looking at 7-900 in gold from each Orcish Lord killed. Considering that most players got pretty bored, and hit their weight limit, around 6000 gold and loot in Classic UO...that player might gain 6000 in gold and loot in roughly an hour or so. The PKs that kill that player just before he or she recalls back to the bank invests roughly 2 minutes. If there are 4 of them, the PKs each make 1500 in gold and loot in roughly 2 minutes...and that's being extremely generous in how long it took to gank someone. Meanwhile, the player that was PKed invested an hour to make only 4 times that amount.

While a PK "risks" stat loss (a night or two of UMing), they stand to gain something close to 7.5 times the loot. While the player that is PK'ed risks spending an hour of his or her life and seeing ZERO profit from it at all.

To me, those 2 things are not equitable.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

And, you must also consider the issue of house looting.

At some points in T2A, and most points in true Classic UO, houses were freely lootable if you had the key and knew where it was.

So if you consider the fact that a PK could participate in a house looting back then, you are talking about insane amounts of "profit" in an extremely short period of time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the fact that you are overlooking Kaivan is that when a player slays a monster, an in game NPC, and take the loot, that loot belongs to the player at that point.

Just because the rules of the era allowed that loot to be stolen, either by thievery, or by PKing, it did not change the fact that the people that were perpetrating those actions were in fact stealing from said player.

What sets the difference between what is mine and what is yours? The fact that I earned mine through crafting or PvMing.

Example: In real life, I go to work. I earn a wage. I am paid for performing a service or duty...through a pre-arranged agreement. I am on the way home on Friday, and a mugger takes my purse. I have all of the wages I earned for the week in that purse. The mugger now has my wages, but no one in their right mind would say..."well, that's how muggers earn a living...deal with it!". It's illegal, and there are punishments for it.

Why should UO be different? Because it's a game? Well...when you kill a Lich (a part of the game) and take its loot...that's fine, but when you prey on a real person...that's not just part of the game...that is stealing from someone.

From the purest of levels, I abhor that behavior...but I understand why it was needed in game to prevent UO from becoming what we have today.

Take a look at the post I added to UHall about the Abyss. What was the reaction?? "OH MY GOD!! NO F'ING WAY!! I AM NOT RISKING ANYTHING!".

This is where a no risk scenario leads...full entitlement. That's even worse than being preyed upon!!

But understand, there has to be punishment for behaviors that have an adverse effect upon people, real people...and PKing did...regardless of intent.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Untrue.

A PvM, in Classic UO, would have no chance of solo'ing a Dragon without the EV/BS bug...so, let's just consider Orcish Lords. Orcish Lords used to give about 500 gold, and another 200-400 in loot. So you are looking at 7-900 in gold from each Orcish Lord killed. Considering that most players got pretty bored, and hit their weight limit, around 6000 gold and loot in Classic UO...that player might gain 6000 in gold and loot in roughly an hour or so. The PKs that kill that player just before he or she recalls back to the bank invests roughly 2 minutes. If there are 4 of them, the PKs each make 1500 in gold and loot in roughly 2 minutes...and that's being extremely generous in how long it took to gank someone. Meanwhile, the player that was PKed invested an hour to make only 4 times that amount.

While a PK "risks" stat loss (a night or two of UMing), they stand to gain something close to 7.5 times the loot. While the player that is PK'ed risks spending an hour of his or her life and seeing ZERO profit from it at all.

To me, those 2 things are not equitable.
Nothing that you said disproves the argument. On your thesis that the only things that most players did or were capable of killing were Orcish Lords (which is one of a ton of mid-range creatures that could give ample amounts of gold), and that they could only get about 6000 gold per hour, lets look at the results:

In order for a PK to stay out of stat-loss, they would be required to kill no more than 3 players per day (8 hours per short term count and 3 counts = 24 hours). We would also assume that the player would be required to macro off counts 24/7 and would never have an issue with disconnections. Also, we can postulate that server down times were never more than 2 minutes, and server wars lasted for only 5 minutes (just to give these PKs an ideal scenario). Given that, lets look at the amount of gold per hour that a single PK could reap using your numbers:

Assuming a PK killed 3 people per day, each of them carrying a maximum amount of gold on them, the profit that the PK reaped would be approximately 18k per day. With that amount of gold acquired, the breakdown of that profit over 24 hours would yield approximately 750 gold per hour. That amount of gold, which was easy to get in the graveyard killing ghouls in the 50's is a PK's maximum gold yield under your conditions. On top of that, this is also a calculation for a solo PK who doesn't have to split the loot (it's 187 gold per PK per hour if there are 4 of them). So no, there really isn't any scenario that a PK can turn a decent profit that doesn't involve taking stat-loss as a result. In a near best case scenario such as the one I presented in the other thread, a PK would still be turning a much lower profit than a PvMer with middle range skills and scaling the gold that they can acquire to a lower amount doesn't help their case, it just makes it worse.

Also, on one final note, I don't know what the experience of other players was during the era, but I can assure you that I had no problem bringing in a major profit in comparison to the above numbers with a character that was only moderately developed at best.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this has nothing to do with you twos argument... but! My biggest take ever on a PK was a two story glow statue heh. I think she got it from glow, came over to bucs for the rocks and became locked into place (happens sometimes with the glow statues) I kill her, the statue unlocked in the corpse and I took home some sweet loot.

oh, and the rocks were not part of the PK, I already looted them, was just waiting for others to show up ;)

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try again. C++ and C# are not 98% the same...not even close.
Fact is, he probably hasn't. Adjusting that particular emulator to function more like T2A is more a question of (a)knowing how T2A functioned and (b) adjusting scripts (C# scripts) to reflect this...not changing the .net code the emulator written in.
"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And, you must also consider the issue of house looting.

At some points in T2A, and most points in true Classic UO, houses were freely lootable if you had the key and knew where it was.

So if you consider the fact that a PK could participate in a house looting back then, you are talking about insane amounts of "profit" in an extremely short period of time.
That was only possible for the first 2 months of T2A, which was in the midst of the first housing shift (people had been barred from placing houses before T2A even released as the first step in this process). For practically the entire time of T2A, housing was relatively secure.

But the fact that you are overlooking Kaivan is that when a player slays a monster, an in game NPC, and take the loot, that loot belongs to the player at that point.

Just because the rules of the era allowed that loot to be stolen, either by thievery, or by PKing, it did not change the fact that the people that were perpetrating those actions were in fact stealing from said player.
None of this changes the fact that the profit is not wholly yours until you secure it in your house or bank (which again, a properly secured house is unlootable).

What sets the difference between what is mine and what is yours? The fact that I earned mine through crafting or PvMing.
You earn yours by taking a relatively low risk killing creatures (no, nothing during T2A or UOR was ever that threatening PvM-wise) and a significant initial time investment, while a PK takes a small initial time investment and a very large risk afterward or a very large time investment to avoid that risk (which, as you saw in my last post, will never equate in terms of time investment to the PvMer UM or otherwise).

Example: In real life, I go to work. I earn a wage. I am paid for performing a service or duty...through a pre-arranged agreement. I am on the way home on Friday, and a mugger takes my purse. I have all of the wages I earned for the week in that purse. The mugger now has my wages, but no one in their right mind would say..."well, that's how muggers earn a living...deal with it!". It's illegal, and there are punishments for it.
Poor example. You can't equate real life to this because we don't accept any degree of thievery (well overt thievery but that's another discussion), or murder (again, not overtly), as acceptable. In UO, the implication of a pre-UOR server is that thievery and PKing is acceptable in order to produce the risk vs reward system. Because of that, we can't suggest that the lack of acceptance in a real-life system should equate to the in-game system, because the desired rule set has an implied acceptance of that behavior.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Nothing that you said disproves the argument. On your thesis that the only things that most players did or were capable of killing were Orcish Lords (which is one of a ton of mid-range creatures that could give ample amounts of gold), and that they could only get about 6000 gold per hour
Whoa now...I picked Orcish Lords because they were low-risk vs. medium reward. Certainly a player that is willing to attack Demons, for example, would earn more, but at much greater risk to him/herself. Using my example, we are weighing similar risks because 4 pks are at little or no risk at all from a single PvM player.

lets look at the results:

In order for a PK to stay out of stat-loss, they would be required to kill no more than 3 players per day (8 hours per short term count and 3 counts = 24 hours). We would also assume that the player would be required to macro off counts 24/7 and would never have an issue with disconnections. Also, we can postulate that server down times were never more than 2 minutes, and server wars lasted for only 5 minutes (just to give these PKs an ideal scenario).
No. If the PK killed 10 players per day, for example, he or she would be looking at 80 hours of UMing...MINUS playing hours. Counts did not just burn off while UMing. So if the PK played 6 hours per day, and an additional 12-18 hours of UMing per day (while asleep and at work), PK would UM off 3 murder counts per day. So it would only require 3.3 days to UM off the counts. More to the point, the PK could also avoid murder counts when acting in a gank-squad by staying back and only healing others and such, so if a rotation of 4 PKs operated together, each could benefit from 10 kills per day while only being reported for 2.5 per day on average...and that doesn't take into account those that went back and forth between red and blue.

Assuming a PK killed 3 people per day, each of them carrying a maximum amount of gold on them, the profit that the PK reaped would be approximately 18k per day. With that amount of gold acquired, the breakdown of that profit over 24 hours would yield approximately 750 gold per hour.
Not true. The PK him/herself would only need to play 6 hours per day, and could be directly involved in the murder of 10 players per day. Assuming an average PvMer pulled in 6,000 gold per hour, and a gank-squad can take that in 2 minutes, then the gank squad earns 1500 gold in 2 minutes. If they kill ten times per day, that is 15,000 gold...in 20 minutes of total play time. Even with 4, that's 3750 per PK in 20 minutes, or 11250 per average hour.

That amount of gold, which was easy to get in the graveyard killing ghouls in the 50's is a PK's maximum gold yield under your conditions. On top of that, this is also a calculation for a solo PK who doesn't have to split the loot (it's 187 gold per PK per hour if there are 4 of them). So no, there really isn't any scenario that a PK can turn a decent profit that doesn't involve taking stat-loss as a result. In a near best case scenario such as the one I presented in the other thread, a PK would still be turning a much lower profit than a PvMer with middle range skills and scaling the gold that they can acquire to a lower amount doesn't help their case, it just makes it worse.
I disagree.

A PvM'er, back then, would normally earn about 6,000k per hour...max. And that did not take into account for PKs. Assume (and I think you are the one that put forth the numbers 90-95% PvPers back then) that the PvMer is killed twice daily, a small percentage based on the numbers you presented. So the PvMer, playing 6 hours per day, would earn 36,000 gold. If 2 hours worth, 1/3, went to PKs, you are looking at the PvMer earning only 24,000 gold in 6 hours, or 4,000 gold per hour, at best.

As I stated before, PKs would earn closer to 11250 per hour, give the above conditions.

Also, on one final note, I don't know what the experience of other players was during the era, but I can assure you that I had no problem bringing in a major profit in comparison to the above numbers with a character that was only moderately developed at best.
Nor did I. I made most of my 'money' from crafting. There were some serious in game loopholes one could exploit the ____ out of back then where tailoring was concerned. It didn't take long for me to realize that PvM back then was not profitable if you considered the amount of time you invested and the amount lost to PKs. Whereas I could log in for 15 minutes with my tailor and make close to 40,000 gold...then spend the rest of the time taming or PvPing for the greater good.

Again, trying to make PKs a part of the economy ignores a vital part of the equation...their profits were not their profits at all...they were simply the profits of others that had been taken by force.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
Do you understand the difference between C# scripts (what freeshards use) and C++??

Do you understand that C# doesn't have its own class library?

Perhaps you might want to heed your own advice.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

None of this changes the fact that the profit is not wholly yours until you secure it in your house or bank (which again, a properly secured house is unlootable).
A function of the mechanics of the time. I contend that this is more of an exploitation of a lack of laws, rather than a moral right.

You earn yours by taking a relatively low risk killing creatures (no, nothing during T2A or UOR was ever that threatening PvM-wise) and a significant initial time investment, while a PK takes a small initial time investment and a very large risk afterward or a very large time investment to avoid that risk (which, as you saw in my last post, will never equate in terms of time investment to the PvMer UM or otherwise).
Again, I disagree...one cannot invest time that one does not actually attend to. Time spent UMing while sleeping, or performing another task such as working, is not time spent.

The only "very large" risk was that they would have to put a weight on the keyboard that night.

That is not a risk. That is minor, almost ignorable, inconvenience at best!

Everyone that has played UO for any significant amount of time has UMed. We all know that it is easy and involves no time or material commitment.

I am calling BS on this one...sorry.

Poor example. You can't equate real life to this
If UO did not require a real life commitment of funds to play, you might be correct...but because REAL people pay REAL money to play UO, I do not think the argument that it is not REAL does not stand.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoa now...I picked Orcish Lords because they were low-risk vs. medium reward. Certainly a player that is willing to attack Demons, for example, would earn more, but at much greater risk to him/herself. Using my example, we are weighing similar risks because 4 pks are at little or no risk at all from a single PvM player.
There were a multitude of things that could be killed back in the day that produced a low risk and medium reward situation. Singling out orcish lords does little justice to the explanation.

No. If the PK killed 10 players per day, for example, he or she would be looking at 80 hours of UMing...MINUS playing hours. Counts did not just burn off while UMing. So if the PK played 6 hours per day, and an additional 12-18 hours of UMing per day (while asleep and at work), PK would UM off 3 murder counts per day. So it would only require 3.3 days to UM off the counts.
So, out of curiosity, if a PK took 10 counts in a day and wanted to avoid stat-loss, what do you think they would be doing for those 3.3 days?

Not true. The PK him/herself would only need to play 6 hours per day, and could be directly involved in the murder of 10 players per day. Assuming an average PvMer pulled in 6,000 gold per hour, and a gank-squad can take that in 2 minutes, then the gank squad earns 1500 gold in 2 minutes. If they kill ten times per day, that is 15,000 gold...in 20 minutes of total play time. Even with 4, that's 3750 per PK in 20 minutes, or 11250 per average hour.
Ok, there's so much that's wrong with this calculation. First, if you have a gank squad garnishing the maximum amount possible per kill and there are 4 people in that squad, each kill is 1500 per kill, and the total amount made at an average of 2 minutes per kill is 15000 per 20 minutes for a gank squad of 4. This equates to 45k per hour, but also results in counts at a rate of 30 per hour, or an approximate 10 days of macroing to get those counts off. After maybe 2 hours of doing this, under these supreme conditions of 6k kills every time, the PK would be so deep in stat-loss that they wouldn't reasonably work themselves out of their stat-loss, UM or otherwise, in less than a few weeks.

I disagree.

A PvM'er, back then, would normally earn about 6,000k per hour...max. And that did not take into account for PKs. Assume (and I think you are the one that put forth the numbers 90-95% PvPers back then) that the PvMer is killed twice daily, a small percentage based on the numbers you presented. So the PvMer, playing 6 hours per day, would earn 36,000 gold. If 2 hours worth, 1/3, went to PKs, you are looking at the PvMer earning only 24,000 gold in 6 hours, or 4,000 gold per hour, at best.
Sorry, but I had to bold that little bit there for kicks.

As for the 90-95% statement, that wasn't mine, it was HD2300 in his first example of numbers. I merely quoted his statement and placed my own arbitrary numbers in there to point out how useless it was to throw out numbers in the first place.

As for a 6k per hour (which I assume to mean you haul in 6k in a single hour) result, I don't know where people were PvMing to get that low of a result, but I was able to make far beyond that per hour on a computer that didn't meet the minimum specifications for UO, playing an archer (which was terrible during T2A), killing random orcs in the wilderness during my first few weeks of the game. 6k per hour is a gross underestimation of the money a player could pull in an hour (it was more on the order of 20-25k in an hour fighting in mid-range areas and over 50k in an hour on the best designed PvM characters).

As I stated before, PKs would earn closer to 11250 per hour, give the above conditions.
To answer my rhetorical question above, if a PK had to macro off counts for 3.3 days to achieve the amount that you suggested in an hour (its only 5k in that hour actually) while avoiding stat-loss, the PK would be required to not kill anyone or do anything for 3.3 days, including playing other characters, in order to avoid said stat-loss. Adjusting the money made in that hour over 3 days, well, the PK makes a tiny profit for killing 10 players on a Monday and going out and killing that Thursday.

Nor did I. I made most of my 'money' from crafting. There were some serious in game loopholes one could exploit the ____ out of back then where tailoring was concerned. It didn't take long for me to realize that PvM back then was not profitable if you considered the amount of time you invested and the amount lost to PKs. Whereas I could log in for 15 minutes with my tailor and make close to 40,000 gold...then spend the rest of the time taming or PvPing for the greater good.
Even PvMing, 6k in an hour is exceedingly low. Quite frankly, the quickest profit in the game came using a method that required to to be in the 60's in skill, and a few steps away from guard zone. The result was a ridiculous amount of money and more vanquishing weapons than you could shake a stick at.

Again, trying to make PKs a part of the economy ignores a vital part of the equation...their profits were not their profits at all...they were simply the profits of others that had been taken by force.
And again, a profit is not made until that profit is secured.

---------

Ultimately, any way you slice and dice it, a PK has only two choices when PKing for profit: PK a very low amount per day and reap less profit per hour than I, or practically anyone, could make doing very low end PvMing, or take a massive risk in order to make a comparable amount of money to PvMing.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"So, out of curiosity, if a PK took 10 counts in a day and wanted to avoid stat-loss, what do you think they would be doing for those 3.3 days?"

Just a quick answer, I ran a large tower set up for reds in stat (always had GMs there hanging out it was that popular) where they hung out, chit chatted with other reds, gms ect or played checkers/chess. Most reds I knew would do something like that at a tavern or place like it.

or

macro it off while playing their second account

or

... get on their blue character and play a different char while waiting for the stat-loss to fall off.

It really wasn't that huge of a deal back then to slaughter a lot of people on any given day, then lay low for a long time or keep it up until you died. Once dead they of course had a back-up plan.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"So, out of curiosity, if a PK took 10 counts in a day and wanted to avoid stat-loss, what do you think they would be doing for those 3.3 days?"

Just a quick answer, I ran a large tower set up for reds in stat (always had GMs there hanging out it was that popular) where they hung out, chit chatted with other reds, gms ect or played checkers/chess. Most reds I knew would do something like that at a tavern or place like it.

or

macro it off while playing their second account

or

... get on their blue character and play a different char while waiting for the stat-loss to fall off.

It really wasn't that huge of a deal back then to slaughter a lot of people on any given day, then lay low for a long time or keep it up until you died. Once dead they of course had a back-up plan.
The only thing that I would point out is that getting on a blue character and playing on a second account are essentially the same thing. Game time was required to macro off the counts and that couldn't be done by playing on an alternate character on the same account or on another account (it could be done if you had a second account and a second computer and a second connection).

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing that I would point out is that getting on a blue character and playing on a second account are essentially the same thing. Game time was required to macro off the counts and that couldn't be done by playing on an alternate character on the same account or on another account (it could be done if you had a second account and a second computer and a second connection).

yeah I worded that poorly, guess I should have said the last two would be on a second account, second one would be on another red, third would be a blue... guess it's the same thing. I'm tired =(

Of course, back then it was really rare for people to have two computers to run two accounts, not sure if the third party programs back then could run to UOs at once. Plus we were all stuck with dial up, and two comps or even two clients on that... eeeeewwww

So IMHO, I think we would see almost every die hard PK running multi-accounts for that reason alone. It's way too easy to run 5+ clients on one comp with cable, and play on a second one with no problems.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You guys keep diss-cussing about numb-ers. Didn't I tell you that would happen, noone said a word ?

I rehiterate my stance, I will read this thread to the end.

No further input from Ahu until the day...

F

fantasy10k

Think the shard has to be roleplay friendly, which means no looting from houses.
I so missed the RP :(

B

BuzZzZ

I have just spent 5 days reading through the whole of this classic shard thread, it took a lot of effort! I just want to thank Morgana LeFay (PoV) for fighting hard for our cause and the others for keeping this going. The mods just sticky the other thread that was locked and put it in the new Felucia forum for an archive or something.

As I said in a previous post I played at the start ot T2a and quit when AOS was created. I played in two phases. Pre tram I pvm'd and mained a theif, after tram was made myself and my entire theif guild quit as we just lost our entire playstyle. I returned not long after and mained a pvp'er until AOS. Well you know my history now so...

First of all why have people put in the effort and expence of making these pre UOR free shards that are so popular? Because they loved the game so much. Same reason why people played. If OSI/EA/Mythic? made this classic shard then I am sure most of these free shard owners won't even bother to compete and won't be that upset about their loss of players. They would more than likley disband the shard to replay the game they loved.

There is now a buzz around the old hyps community about the potential of this free shard, I heard through an old thread who also heard through an old friend. I have since contacted a bunch of people on my old ICQ list who are all excited about the prospect. Anyway I don't want to bore you much more but....

The Second Age era w/ necessary bug and glitch fixes
-Britannia and the Lost Lands
-Stat loss and long term murder counts for reds (stat loss on resurrection)
-T2A Item system (Vanq/Ruin magic weapons, Invul/hardening magic armor, magic wands staves, jewelery, boots, capes, etc.)
-T2A skill and stat caps (700.0 skill point pool, 225 stat point pool)
-T2A magic system
-Stat and skill controls (IE ability to set skills/stats to raise, lower and lock)
-Chaos and Order Guilds with proper fixes (lord/lady requisites removed)
-Guild Stones
-more Stackable items (IE Potions)
-**Crafting Upgrades (See below)
-Server Birth Rares

**Crafting upgrades are as follows:

-Tailors will be able to make bone armor but NOT repair it otherwise it's as good as plate but less dex loss. New colours added from Pub 16 but NOT the neon crap.

-Bow crafters will be able to repair bows

-Carpenters will be able to craft all staff weapons as well as clubs and repair them along with wooden shields

-potential addition of Ilshenar later on. PvM'ers need content, maybe keep the ish champ spawns with added loot, rare drops, deco house items ect. Fel rules of course.

-Skills: Meditation has to be there
- I am not bothered about precasting either way.
-Dex affects healing? Don't mind but helped dexers.
-Unable to heal through posion for mages and bandages, cure poison then heal.
-Tamers control slots - cool either way, I'd prefer no control slots but hard as hell to tame dragons and control them. NO bonding
- Macing damage: Bring back the old school damage macing weps did where a warhammer would destory a shield in a few hits.
- Show charges. DP'd and magic weps should show charges left

-Stealing: I mained a theif but stealing did get out of control so possible to create a resurection timer based on a "steal count" timer. eg. 1 steal/kill wait 2 mins (normal grey timer), 2 steals in an hour wait 5 mins ect ect. Again the old way is fine, just trying to curb things.

NO INSURANCE!!

Factions- don't care either way but an idea could be to make the faction you join dependant on where your house is located or co-own. Maybe +25% discount for purchsing of npc's for leading faction, -10% for loosing faction? Just incentives to make it interesting.
Then again if house spots are full your going to have issues. T2A/Ish houses anyone? I always had a house deed ready to place in T2A should I find a loop hole.

-Custom houses - don't care, if so just make it impossible to have the turret houses I hear about.
-No private houses but lockable
-Texas rules
- 1 house per account, I don't see why this shard should be any different. I see it being populated by mostly returning players anyway

- NO shard transfering

- Most of all give me back my 4 Wyverns on Wyvern Island.

There are people arguing about classic/custom shard. If we can get a classic shard then why not make it perfect?

Either way - T2a, no tram, stat loss and no unsrance and I am there.

Status
Not open for further replies.