• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why is publish 98 altering the taming mastery?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
170 hpr wasn't even remotely on every consume, if depended on many factors. Many times consume could be 7 , 10 or even 20. I think this game doesn't reward true tamers enough (120x3), have hpr max be based on real taming/lore/vet with a max of 50-60 at 3x lgm.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
God what BS, I have NEVER seen 170 hpr on any pet of mine when using consume damage, in fact the HIGHEST I had ever seen was 80 and that was on ONE lore during a battle, loring the same fight a few times and the HPR lowered to 20 then back up to 40 then down to 32 etc.

As for the dude reckoning he can put a cu on trex and run consume and just stand there, video it buttercup as frankly even with a GD you could never do that so either you have a fully 120 healing super cu or I am calling bs.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would say reduce the HPR.. fine but not 30 but maybe between 50-100 max... then change to consume ANY damage to balance off. Level 3 mastery just 30 HPR to consume only physical damage is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
To take a page outta your book.... that actually proves nothing. The Cu does the healing for you in addition to the Consume Damage and very few pets in game come with that nice little feature... What level healing does the Cu have by the way?
Cu's got buffed since the taming rework, anatomy could never be 120 before ;) (OFC healing too but that's obvious!)

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I can achieve 150 HPR... with consume damage but only some monsters type like the dragon... the rest is not worth the time... so I am fine to reduce the max from 150 to below 100, but please allow master 3 to consume any type of damage. Don't make it a dumb skill please, some of us saved millions just to get these highest level mastery...

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For tamers suggest to go TC to march and go on strike... and take a photo...

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For tamers suggest to go TC to march and go on strike... and take [bcolor=rgb(204, 205, 205)]
I actually stopped by TC1 last night. I don't know if it was a joke done in bad taste by one of the staff in an attempt to be tongue in cheek, or if it was legitmately players, but there we FOUR unattended macros running at New Haven mint. They were named variations of Messy Anna, and were constantly spamming how they were unattended macros, how Mesanna should be fired, etc etc.
[/bcolor]
[bcolor=rgb(204, 205, 205)]So the fact that those were there (around 11 pm central) gives me little hope that ANY response on the taming issue will be forthcoming. I just could not believe that was happening, and I watched for a while just to see if someone would take them down.[/bcolor]

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for the dude reckoning he can put a cu on trex and run consume and just stand there, video it buttercup as frankly even with a GD you could never do that so either you have a fully 120 healing super cu or I am calling bs.
There´s a reason he posted a 3 sec gif and not the full video.
Either he used active spells/vetting to keep it alive or the pet died eventually.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I actually stopped by TC1 last night. I don't know if it was a joke done in bad taste by one of the staff in an attempt to be tongue in cheek, or if it was legitmately players, but there we FOUR unattended macros running at New Haven mint. They were named variations of Messy Anna, and were constantly spamming how they were unattended macros, how Mesanna should be fired, etc etc.

So the fact that those were there (around 11 pm central) gives me little hope that ANY response on the taming issue will be forthcoming. I just could not believe that was happening, and I watched for a while just to see if someone would take them down.
Did you page on them? They don't have people actively monitoring every part of the game 24/7. I mean yeah that looks bad, but realistically if no one reports it and they don't see it how are they supposed to do anything?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ho9w many times have people paged about things, and had no results from it?

for most, I think we have given up on paging, seems kinda pointless to be honest

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well, the last couple of publishes a developer was hanging out at Haven mint the first night of TC1. But in this case, no,I did not page on them. What would I say? "Hey, can you guys stop this scripter from saying things I completely agree with and proving a point that ANY active attempt to stop scripting endeda long time ago? Oh, by the way, any chance you could not change a mastery that will negatively impact the majority of PvM players just because less than five people bitched about it in one Stratics thread?"

I'm just not sure that would fall on receptive ears.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ho9w many times have people paged about things, and had no results from it?

for most, I think we have given up on paging, seems kinda pointless to be honest
I seldom page (or email) myself anymore for that reason, but something obvious like that, which looked likely to continue a while, is a pretty easy report. I'm no cheerleader but I am realistic, and realistically if a dev or GM wasn't actively standing there and no one paged, it is highly unlikely they saw it and unfair to condemn them for not actioning it. Even if nothing came of the report, by merit of reporting it someone has at least seen it.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well, the last couple of publishes a developer was hanging out at Haven mint the first night of TC1. But in this case, no,I did not page on them. What would I say? "Hey, can you guys stop this scripter from saying things I completely agree with and proving a point that ANY active attempt to stop scripting endeda long time ago? Oh, by the way, any chance you could not change a mastery that will negatively impact the majority of PvM players just because less than five people bitched about it in one Stratics thread?"

I'm just not sure that would fall on receptive ears.
Say "unattended macroing in Haven by bank"?

Make no mistake, I absolutely share your concerns and frustrations about reports both through paging and through direct emails to the team going seemingly ignored. However, not reporting at all gives them absolutely nothing to go on.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh Kyronix saw them (The spam bots) We were standing there talking over them for awhile....he just chose to ignore it...freedom of speech and all I guess but why bother when they will probably just put them back up? Better to just ignore the stupidity and move on and not let some kids childish behavior affect you.

He was on TC for a LONG time last night....we ran through the dungeon instance, gave feedback....he chose to be the bigger man and just do what he does, so thanks @Kyronix for the time you took to listen (Except for that Berserk guy of course! ;) ) Hoping to run through it again today...did manage to get one set of bones..white ones :( but I got some! Still need to Trick or Treat.....but so far...it's looking really good!

As far as consume damage..I honestly never use it....waste of mana imo....5 seconds of consume for 10 seconds of....random damage?? My pets do just fine without it..obviously....so I for one could care less about the change :)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Naja against one Bally with Consume Damage Level 3 - 115 real tame and lore:
Taming Mastery abilities scale sharply with Taming/Lore skill. There's a huge difference between 115 Tame/Lore, and 120 Tame/Lore when it comes to the Taming Masteries. Only half of a Balron's damage is Physical too. They do 50% Physical/25% Fire/25% Energy Damage.

God what BS, I have NEVER seen 170 hpr on any pet of mine when using consume damage, in fact the HIGHEST I had ever seen was 80 and that was on ONE lore during a battle, loring the same fight a few times and the HPR lowered to 20 then back up to 40 then down to 32 etc.

Was pretty funny running Consume Damage on my Saurosaurus as he tanked the Slasher of Veils, and watching my Saurosaurus go up to 170 HPR and full health every time the Slasher did his boulder barrage. My Saurosaurus, Varstok, was the only pet that i've seen that could tank the Slasher of Veils even semi-reliably (the Slasher could actually seriously hurt him with some ability, but the boulder barrage would always bring Varstok back to full), 5 slot Cus were dropping dead like flies against the Slasher. 5 slot Cus that are properly leveled can out tank any GD. Too many people try to turn their Cu into a damage dealer though. My Saurosaurus was also capable of tanking the T-Rex like a baws and not breaking a sweat, the T-Rex's attacks were like the bite of a flea. It helps though that that Saurosaurus has 85 Physical Resist and Life Leech.
If they wanted to nerf Consume Damage though, then they simply could've introduced new bosses that did more Elemental damage than Physical.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh Kyronix saw them (The spam bots) We were standing there talking over them for awhile....he just chose to ignore it...freedom of speech and all I guess but why bother when they will probably just put them back up? Better to just ignore the stupidity and move on and not let some kids childish behavior affect you.
I'm sorry but I disagree with this. You need to ban the accounts immediately. It's not being the bigger person. If this is the direction they intend to go, and I really hate to say this but maybe it is time to close the doors.

He was on TC for a LONG time last night....we ran through the dungeon instance, gave feedback....he chose to be the bigger man and just do what he does, so thanks @Kyronix for the time you took to listen (Except for that Berserk guy of course! ;) ) Hoping to run through it again today...did manage to get one set of bones..white ones :( but I got some! Still need to Trick or Treat.....but so far...it's looking really good!
I would never question the devs devotion to this game. I would never accuse them of being lazy or uncaring. Obviously they love this game just as much as many of us. Their actions prove this. Doesn't mean I agree with some changes mind you :)

As far as consume damage..I honestly never use it....waste of mana imo....5 seconds of consume for 10 seconds of....random damage?? My pets do just fine without it..obviously....so I for one could care less about the change :)
Nor do I, however if you build your character around something that has existed for two years and then all of sudden have to change things up it kind of stinks. Not to mention the nerf to a lot of pets like the lesser Hiryus with their control slots. I really think this is going to force a lot of players to shelve their tamers again or worse leave.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Larissa, are you saying that Kyronix, a member of the dev team, watched four unattended spambot macros with you, AND JUST LET THEM STAY???

Are you serious?

**** me...

Probably because it was late, and if he jailed them then he would be up another 2 hours doing the paperwork on it...kinda like cops have to do...for the legal dept.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Honestly Uriah, I know you are joking, but all I can feel right now is exasperated. The change to the mastery doesn't make sense to me at all. Even if the reason turned out to be that the devs decided it was too powerful (I call BS on that, but even if that were the case), the fact that a dev let scripting just continue on at the exact spot that every visitor to TC comes to (for new stuff) just blows my mind. I mean, wtf?

WTF!!!!!!!

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There´s a reason he posted a 3 sec gif and not the full video.
Either he used active spells/vetting to keep it alive or the pet died eventually.
Yeah that, or i didn't feel like making a 15 minute video.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
170 HP regen? Definitely not working as intended.
Funny how it's been not working as intended for two years. I'm sorry once something like that is implimented for that long it is unreasonable to make it 500% less effective. Honestly the more I think about it the more I can understand folks being royally ticked off. Having pets that were not exploited getting their slots screwed over is really tantamount to a two month revert. I could understand how some would find this unacceptable.

Fire Warrior

Adventurer
You guys always panic. Its not like they arn't watching reaction to the changes. They didn't exactly tell you they were coming did they. Maybe they wanted to see how people tested and reacted to it. Just because its up on TC 1 doesn't mean its going to publish that way no matter what they 'planned'. I knew it was folly to spend a jillion on pscrolls for pets so quickly after the Tamer Publish.

I knew it was a beta test since theres no way they could internal test the taming changes adequately. People should really take things with a grain of salt with their reactions etc. Instead it was like a 'gold rush' where everyone started spending without thinking. Sure enough its going to bite people in the arse. Not a surprise. I know my post sounds pitiless. I however am not, its just I saw this coming and I'm surprised other people didn't. Lets see what happens before we get 'bent' over consume damage.

Not only that, but UO continually does this sort of thing. They power something up and then pull back. You know what I have the most confidence in? Archery, because it just got 'nerfed' so it probably won't take any more hits. So my archer is now safe. Taming? Well see. I personally think we havn't seen the last of the 'adjustments'.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was bored so decided to hop over to TC and see if a 2 slot Naja can go to level 5 without a jump and it did... YAYY!!
Did you take a 2 slot over there? Do 2 slot Najs still spawn on TC? Since underslot pets are getting reset. Someone needs to give @Bleak and @Kyronix a 2 slot mare,Naj, firesteed, and a Lesser with decent stats. It seems they did not know those pets existed.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

I HAVE seen 170ish! Go to the trogs, run consume, and let Grobu, Lurg, and 4 or 5 trogs start hitting your pet.

Fire Warrior

Adventurer
Sounds like we did get bent over to me. They released BODs without listening to the issues with them. Why do you think they will listen. They are trying to push out the Halloween and 20 anniversary content.
Listen is different than 'do what you want'. I just think all of your expectations are frankly unrealistic. Be upset all you want its cool with me, I am just saying its a big game - this isn't Tamers Online. Their schedule is hell. What do you expect. I always blame EA, rather than just blame the devs. I just think its naive expecting them to change when they never have. I view myself rather the opportunist than the 'I demand this or that' person. Its just less stress.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The ONLY way that the HPR nerf even comes close to being acceptable is if somehow we can recoup ALL of the scrolls and bonding potions we wasted on now worthless pets! Perhaps make it so that when they are unbonded and you kill them the scrolls and bonding potion (if used) are on the corpse! With the change I am sure most of the tamers would have "built" their pets a bit differently.

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The ONLY way that the HPR nerf even comes close to being acceptable is if somehow we can recoup ALL of the scrolls and bonding potions we wasted on now worthless pets! Perhaps make it so that when they are unbonded and you kill them the scrolls and bonding potion (if used) are on the corpse! With the change I am sure most of the tamers would have "built" their pets a bit differently.
Why in the world are the pets worthless? they have double the stats 3x in some cases the resists and are now customizable to the mob u want to kill, u just have to heal it a little... its not like everyone in the taming community is running around with level 3 tamings popping consume every chance they get, some people can't even afford the 125m for a primer 3 and they aren't complaining..

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why in the world are the pets worthless? they have double the stats 3x in some cases the resists and are now customizable to the mob u want to kill, u just have to heal it a little... its not like everyone in the taming community is running around with level 3 tamings popping consume every chance they get, some people can't even afford the 125m for a primer 3 and they aren't complaining..
because the pets now are nerfed in stats and can never be rebuilt back to what they were. Even on the ones that didn't get "nerfed", the HPR nerf is enough to render the pets unusable. Because they were built with less HP's to start with. Taking into account the HPR on consume damage. It's pretty easy to see how it is a "pet killer".

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello

Consume damage is not used in pvp, nobody in pvp forums mentioned any issue with it in pvp as it consumes too much mana to do anything useful in pvp.

I only use consume damage to farm afk without scripts.

So the changes make complete sense to me, no issue with them.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To take a page outta your book.... that actually proves nothing. The Cu does the healing for you in addition to the Consume Damage and very few pets in game come with that nice little feature... What level healing does the Cu have by the way?
I used a fresh tame CU last night to test that due to the ones I had tamed were bugged back to crap stats. I tamed a regular CU and ran it through the gates and buffed it like anyone else would. It did not have 120 healing as I would not even bother putting that scroll on a CU even on a live shard cause its not worth it. It actually barely even damaged the t-rex cause its wrestling was still in the 60's and was parried a lot. If you don't believe what im saying, just stop over on TC and look for me on bezerk character and ill gladly walk up there and prove it to you in person. Consume damage by the way isn't a HPR buff, it actually eats phys dmg and turns it into health, similar to how anon in the roof eats phys while in earth ele form.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
because the pets now are nerfed in stats and can never be rebuilt back to what they were. Even on the ones that didn't get "nerfed", the HPR nerf is enough to render the pets unusable. Because they were built with less HP's to start with. Taking into account the HPR on consume damage. It's pretty easy to see how it is a "pet killer".
Low HP pets would still be just as strong if used by a Peace Tamer. You can either add Music/Peace to your template or sell the pet to a Peace Tamer.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As far as consume damage..I honestly never use it....waste of mana imo....5 seconds of consume for 10 seconds of....random damage?? My pets do just fine without it..obviously....so I for one could care less about the change [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]:)[/bcolor]
I believe you are thinking of Empowerment, not Consume:
  • Empowerment: When hit with physical damage the pet enters an empowerment phase where it begins to charge up its damage increase and spell damage increase for 5 seconds. During this consume period any physical damage will be stored by the pet. After the empowerment period is over the pet enters the unleash phase for 10 seconds where it will apply the damage increase and spell damage increase bonuses based on stored damage.

• Consume Damage: When hit with physical damage the pet enters a consume phase where it begins to build up its hit chance and regeneration for 5 seconds. During this consume period any physical damage will be stored by the pet. After the consume period is over the pet enters the unleash phase for 10 seconds where it will apply the hit chance and regeneration bonuses based on stored damage.

@Bleak @Kyronix I think whats upsetting most people about this change, is the fact that it's listed under the Bug Fix section. If you were just open with it about what it is, a nerf, and put it under Pet Changes, you may have a more level headed response to it. The fact that Consume has been this way for 2 years, and is now listed as a "Bug Fix", makes a lot of people wonder just what QA is doing. It's not exactly an extremely rare and hard to track down bug like pets poofing due to high latency connections.

Real talk though. Make natural Taming/Lore/Vet actually useful again. With all the +Skills available on jewelry, everyone is running modified 120 taming with very little effort. Right now, the only benefit natural Animal Taming gives Combat Training masteries is a lower channeled mana cost. Want to lower the cap from 150HPR? Fine, I agree that's excessive (though very hard to hit, you need the right type of mobs), but at least scale it with natural taming to give some benefit/reward to those that actually raise it naturally. 30HPR cap at 90 natural taming sounds find to me. 40HPR at 100, 55HPR at 110, and 75HPR at 120 natural taming perhaps? Or some kind of scale that rewards the natural ability like most other skill masteries.

Also, to those commenting that 150HPR is absurd and deserves to be nerfed. I don't think you actually understand how Consume Damage works. You don't just toggle Consume Damage on and instantly get 150HPR on your pet forever. Your pet has to take Physical damage, and based on how much Physical damage they take in each 5 second interval, they will gain a percentage of that damage back as HPR for 10 seconds, then it drops off. It does nothing against magical attacks, or elemental damage.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Consume damage by the way isn't a HPR buff, it actually eats phys dmg and turns it into health, similar to how anon in the roof eats phys while in earth ele form.
This is simply just not accurate. If you actually lore your pet while consume is running, you will see that it does give HPR. It's not a Kinetic Eater buff, its an HCI/HPR buff based on the amount of damage received.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A 75 cap for HPR when the character has real 120 taming and lore is a good compromise for this.
As it is stands now, if that doesn't adds to the natural HPR of the pet, I can get more HPR (39) with my disco/peace/tamer running both peace songs.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is simply just not accurate. If you actually lore your pet while consume is running, you will see that it does give HPR. It's not a Kinetic Eater buff, its an HCI/HPR buff based on the amount of damage received.
If that's the case, why does it work exactly the same on TC capped at 30 HPR right now!?? Obviously its not HPR that keeping stacked full of life, I mean any pet can get 20 HPR through new training. Ill be glad to show you in person on TC that consume damage is just as good as before on 100 phys monsters. Its not called regen damage, its called consume damage.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If that's the case, why does it work exactly the same on TC capped at 30 HPR right now!?? Obviously its not HPR that keeping stacked full of life, I mean any pet can get 20 HPR through new training. Ill be glad to show you in person on TC that consume damage is just as good as before on 100 phys monsters. Its not called regen damage, its called consume damage.
In an effort to just not sling wild accusations around blindly like most of this thread and actually test things, I will do additional testing on TC. I plan to do content I know generates a huge amount of HPR on live to see how the same pet performs with the current consume changes. If there is an inherit Kinetic Eater component of consume, it is not listed or stated anywhere. Just because it's called "Consume Damage" and not "Regen Damage" really has no bearing on what the ability does... it's the name chosen by the designers for the ability. Thats like saying the Swords mastery "Onslaught" doesn't debuff resists because it's not called "Resist Assault" or something.

However, I still stand by my statement that saying consume is not a HPR buff is incorrect, as given by the below screenshots from live and test, fighting GD's in Destard. This is a frost mite with 20 base HPR, running consume while it fights several GDs. Clearly, there is an HPR component to the skill.

Live:

Test:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I believe you are thinking of Empowerment, not Consume:
  • Empowerment: When hit with physical damage the pet enters an empowerment phase where it begins to charge up its damage increase and spell damage increase for 5 seconds. During this consume period any physical damage will be stored by the pet. After the empowerment period is over the pet enters the unleash phase for 10 seconds where it will apply the damage increase and spell damage increase bonuses based on stored damage.

• Consume Damage: When hit with physical damage the pet enters a consume phase where it begins to build up its hit chance and regeneration for 5 seconds. During this consume period any physical damage will be stored by the pet. After the consume period is over the pet enters the unleash phase for 10 seconds where it will apply the hit chance and regeneration bonuses based on stored damage.
No I meant exactly what I said....consume damage CONSUMES for a WHOLE 5 seconds....then unleashes for 10.....so you get a random consume amount and 10 seconds of whatever that was.....10 seconds!! NOT A BIG FREAKING DEAL!!!!! To me...anyway....I could care less....I never EVER use my masteries...ANY of them but whisper sometimes when I remember I have it...seriously I just ate a taming 3 for the stable slot increase :) And my pets do just fine.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that fact that it worked when you were offscreen, was definitely a bug.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Did you take a 2 slot over there? Do 2 slot Najs still spawn on TC? Since underslot pets are getting reset. Someone needs to give @Bleak and @Kyronix a 2 slot mare,Naj, firesteed, and a Lesser with decent stats. It seems they did not know those pets existed.
No. I tried to but had already copied over earlier in the day. This was a 2 slot Naja that was a fresh tame on TC.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No. I tried to but had already copied over earlier in the day. This was a 2 slot Naja that was a fresh tame on TC.
So, a 2 slot naj,NM, frost mite, etc are not a bug. Someone needs to show the devs how many points those pets can get. They either did not take that into consideration or they have no idea about the training system that they created works.

....I could care less....I never EVER use my masteries...ANY of them but whisper sometimes when I remember I have it...seriously I just ate a taming 3 for the stable slot increase :) And my pets do just fine.
The game isn't made just for you. Other people play with different styles than you do. I would like a tamer to be usable at spawns. I doubt you have ever done one in Fel. Pets have improved for a one on encounter with a GD and ogre lords and other things. Some of us want a little more than that.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You are correct DC, there appears to be an undocumented aspect of consume damage in which the pet does in fact eat damage during the 5 second (first) phase. They lose this during the 10 second (second) phase, at which point they get +HCI (we are assuming anyways, since this isn't visible on the Lore page), and +HPR.

I tested this on Live and TC and had the same results, the only difference being the total HPR the pet received:
  • Warrior with 100% physical weapon attacking a pet with 80% physical resist and 20 natural HPR. Simply auto-attacking the pet, it died in 2m5s.
  • Dropped the pet to ~12% health, turned on consume damage, started to use Onslaught and Double Attack, not only did the pet not lose any health, it actively gained health in bursts (HPR was still 20).
  • Pet entered phase 2, had 50HPR and would hold or lose a little health (depending on hit streak)
  • Pet entered phase 1 again, and would gain health in bursts the depending on how hard I hit it
  • Doing nothing but auto-attacking the pet, it returned to full health in several minutes
Going to do some heavier testing tonight on more difficult content, but if this is the case then the HPR cap reduction on consume is really a non-issue, the major component of Consume Damage is Phase 1, which gives no HPR.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just went on TC and fought the T-rex with consume damage on (hes 100 phys dmg). I let it fight it for about ten minutes and didn't have throw a single heal as my cu sidhe stayed at full life. Only damage was from the occasional armor ignore the t-rex did, which he healed right back up from within a minute.
So you can still turn it on and go afk? Alright then...but wow, you might have to heal against multiple targets now. Oh the horror. I will test it with a greater dragon (or two) though.

Realistically, popping consume after patch you might have to actually cross heal the pets instead of sitting afk while they kill stuff, is that so bad?
As a matter of fact, yes. I liked turning on my "god mode pet" button, then doing whatever while it killed things. Usually laundry.

edit: *yawn* Consume damage still OP. When I copied to TC, it said current version of the server was Pub 97. Is Pub 98 not active there yet, or are they slow to update the initial login popup?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The game isn't made just for you. Other people play with different styles than you do. I would like a tamer to be usable at spawns. I doubt you have ever done one in Fel. Pets have improved for a one on encounter with a GD and ogre lords and other things. Some of us want a little more than that.

Never said it was...but everyone else is posting their thoughts and opinions...I am allowed to as well yes????

And I spawn all the time..IN FEL.......one of my favorite things to do in game just so you know...but I never use pets at spawns....not anymore..not for a long time.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Funny how it's been not working as intended for two years. I'm sorry once something like that is implimented for that long it is unreasonable to make it 500% less effective. Honestly the more I think about it the more I can understand folks being royally ticked off. Having pets that were not exploited getting their slots screwed over is really tantamount to a two month revert. I could understand how some would find this unacceptable.
The Mage has been continuously nerfed for 20 years... the recent one was in 2017. Someone is continually making the game equal = equally boring, ineffective, and useless for every template, equipment and skills.

The so called imbalance can actually attract people to stay in the game because they are exciting.

The so called nerf only makes things comfortable... and later forgotten. Anyone using provo and stealing as much these days?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Mage has been continuously nerfed for 20 years... the recent one was in 2017. Someone is continually making the game equal = equally boring, ineffective, and useless for every template, equipment and skills.

The so called imbalance can actually attract people to stay in the game because they are exciting.

The so called nerf only makes things comfortable... and later forgotten. Anyone using provo and stealing as much these days?

You want to cry about being nerfed over and over talk to any Archer. But the fact remains we (Tamers) were supposedly finally going to get something we've waited and been promised for YEARS.... they give us a few new pets which are actually just rehashes of the same old pets... most don't even have anything "special" about them... and then they move us up where we start being able to do things again.... only to turn around and drop us back down to levels that were WORSE than BEFORE the pet revamp... How is that right???

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know me personally, I spent over 100.00 on pet bond pots. I can only imagine how much others have spent. I would NOT have done this if it weren't for the original effectiveness of Consume Dmg. This is nothing short of a scam considering the amount of money that was spent on pets...pots, stable slots...unacceptable.