• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why is publish 98 altering the taming mastery?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My response was to GarthGrey who said once he casts one heal he's behind the curve with consume up. You can actually cast quite a bit and if you are able to space heals out enough, you wont run out, if you have the gear and spec. My point was it is possible to cast and keep consume up indefinitely. Dont think chain casting was every mentioned.
Really I run out all the time... on most of my tamers...

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I can challenge you to a PvP fight and you will win. Then we could switch accounts and you would win with my character.

Not everybody has the same playing, connection, reflex abilities. Even tho you think playing a tamer is so easy. Just because you can do something does not mean everybody can do it the same.
That's the thing though. Taming, with the masteries, IS that easy, which was the point of my recordings. The fact that I literally sat there and did nothing in-game while recording those videos is something ANY tamer can do. Whether they're crazy enough to do that in Pub 98 with 4 monsters attacking a pet, however... ;)

My pet's stats: 882 HP, 732 Str, 125 dex/stam, 423 Int & Mana. Resists: 80/80/84/43/50. Base damage 17-25.

Also, a few things that weren't shown in the 2nd vid: 1) I had one of the dragons flagged on me at one point, so I had to invis/cure/heal a few times. 2) The fight had gone on for a while, and the Wyrm managed to kill everything that was on it. As the # of mobs dwindled, the amount of health it lost had gone down and it stayed as steady as it did in the 1 on 1. If I went somewhere that required me to heal it (i.e. Shadowguard), I would have.

tl:dr: Yeah, Consume Damage has been nerfed now, but it's clearly just as good as it was before, even if a pet can't tank as many things as it could prior to Pub 98.

My response was to GarthGrey who said once he casts one heal he's behind the curve with consume up. You can actually cast quite a bit and if you are able to space heals out enough, you wont run out, if you have the gear and spec. My point was it is possible to cast and keep consume up indefinitely. Dont think chain casting was every mentioned.
Correct. If you're in a Luck suit, you're not going to cast a lot of spells, because you can't.

Really I run out all the time... on most of my tamers...
then your suit's specs aren't very good...and, as I recall, you don't have a taming 3 mastery? Even with a Taming 2, a suit that's got enough mana & regen can keep Empowerment/Berserk running forever.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The bosses that do mostly or all Physical Damage were pretty easy with Consume Damage, but the bosses that don't do majority Physical Damage can still damage your pet enough to where you'll need to heal it, or the pet will die. On live, the Putrifier can kill a 5 slot Cu Sidhe under Consume Damage, due to his 50% Poison Damage, not to mention his constant DP-Lethal and spells. Even when the Putrifier is Discorded. You'd have to throw some heals on the Cu Sidhe to keep it alive, which vetting near the Putrifier is dangerous due to his Poison Aura which will cause him to switch to you. On the other hand, a leveled Dread Spider or Najasaurus under Consume Damage can tank the Putrifier all day, due to their 100% Poison Resist, Poison Immunity, and ability to be leveled to 80 Physical Resist (resisting a total of 90% of the Putrifier's melee damage).

Don't forget about the Humility Virtue, which at Knight can give your pet +30 HPR for 20 minutes. It's a pain raising Humility though without an AoE heavy template. Necros can gain Humility stupid fast by entering the Humility Hunt while Withering all the Acid Slugs at the start of the Underworld.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For crafters, why not remove the make max or make X numbers in the crafters menu? I can press make max go afk watch a short video come back and pick up my items, rinse and repeat. Same with so "afk" fighting dragons and Balrons, you can't go afk forever and go to sleep hoping the spawn will never target you and you still have to come back and loot as well. I went afk once at Destard and came back to see grey screen because one new dragon spawned next to my character, which has no Consume Damage ofcourse.

So change all crafters menu and make everyone do some keyboard commands to keep them in game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tamers typically fight standing at the back just cast heal and I can also do that by keep pressing the healing button and watching a movie on the big screen.

Consume damage is level 3 tamer Mastery, if it can't improve much more significantly than what the tamer can already do, its just another useless feature. Currently it is barely usable as it is not effective against 80-90% of the spawn we fight most often. Go ahead and make it worse.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nerf sampires nerf mages nerf archers...come on nerf tamers was coming....etc etc BS BS BS

if only we were old school pre aos....was no need for any nerfs then....oh the good olde days...when even armour was understandable too!!

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Frankly speaking out of so many masteries, I have 4accounts with a 5th one recently started for a Fel house for some pvp fun. 35 characters, I only find a few masteries used most often.
Sword onslaught, Bushido Confidence (not consistent) and Taming consume damage ( to a much lesser extent because it's only useful in very limited case that we like to play). Other than that would be bard. The rest doesn't seem to attract me to commit any time to learn them.

Really a lot of things in this game, but the useful stuff are those few that keeps getting nerfed or removed each year. I will rest my case here.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For crafters, why not remove the make max or make X numbers in the crafters menu? I can press make max go afk watch a short video come back and pick up my items, rinse and repeat. Same with so "afk" fighting dragons and Balrons, you can't go afk forever and go to sleep hoping the spawn will never target you and you still have to come back and loot as well. I went afk once at Destard and came back to see grey screen because one new dragon spawned next to my character, which has no Consume Damage ofcourse.

So change all crafters menu and make everyone do some keyboard commands to keep them in game.
True. Afk'ing on pirates/lurg's/T-rex's is game breaking and certainly needs adjusting...

Sampires spending a lot on 75 resist kit, durability repairs and specific weapons and as a result can solo the best UO has to offer (also onslaught mastery is a good buff for them)....on the other hand tamer's have to invest in more powerscrolls, are squishier and are easier to kill vs the top end (which you definetly cannot afk on!) and have to get kit fairly similar to expense with great mana regen. The balance was debatable for real tamers if they had a good template but if consume damage is capped at 30 real taming skill is an unnecessary skill sink and if they go through with this publish a "real tamer" will be using peacemaking mastery if he cares about his safety vs the top end (obviously only need 1 bard tho, this is a team game afterall....shutup sampire!).

Shame that the hardest to level and most liked skill in UO will soon turn into a joke to go and mastery in.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Then change the Monsters Lurg, T. rex and pirates, why must they always mess with what we were given?

I don't even bother to farm these 3, boring. Just to find the pirates is a problem. Farm T. rex? Want to see someone try this afk and go to sleep. Poison eles and Dimetrosaurus roam the land. Lurgs... yawn i almost forgot they existed. I can't see why these are a reason to nerf a mastery. Add poison strike From pirates and T. rex, problem solved.

For sampire, sorry, only the very best sampire a can solo everything in this game imho. Just because of the few elites of this class can do it doesn't mean every sampire can do the same. I have a strong vampire but I run a bard with 4 x peace mastery. He can't solo Osiredon either but I know some can. Most of us can't.

How can game rules be decided based on the elite few in its class, or a certain play style. Nerf the play style or in this case the Monster and not the skills.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
By the way, T. rex often target the tamer. I because I just did this a few days ago, and i even died once while my pet survived. So what, nerf the Consume Damage? Tamer die, no consume damage, pet die if not logged out.

Yeah I am not the best player but that is my point, not everyone is as good as you Elite guys here.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Frankly speaking out of so many masteries, I have 4accounts with a 5th one recently started for a Fel house for some pvp fun. 35 characters, I only find a few masteries used most often.
Sword onslaught, Bushido Confidence (not consistent) and Taming consume damage ( to a much lesser extent because it's only useful in very limited case that we like to play). Other than that would be bard. The rest doesn't seem to attract me to commit any time to learn them.

Really a lot of things in this game, but the useful stuff are those few that keeps getting nerfed or removed each year. I will rest my case here.
Yep, I am under impression that Devs with their metrics frequently confuse useful and OP. If they see something being used by everyone, it must be OP and therefore a nerf target. Problem is, Consume Damage is used frequently not because it's OP, but because the other Masteries are largely useless. It has already been nerfed/balanced at some point with increased mana demands. With this new nerf, it will just become completely useless because spamming GHeals gives you more HP for your mana and is not dependent on the damage type.
There are a few others like Onslaught, that are useful. And if they are nerfed as well, the whole mastery system can join Armor Refinement as an example of how to waste limited development resources. In my opinion Devs' time would be much better spent improving masteries that nobody touches rather than gimping ones that actually work.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yep, I am under impression that Devs with their metrics frequently confuse useful and OP. If they see something being used by everyone, it must be OP and therefore a nerf target. Problem is, Consume Damage is used frequently not because it's OP, but because the other Masteries are largely useless. It has already been nerfed/balanced at some point with increased mana demands. With this new nerf, it will just become completely useless because spamming GHeals gives you more HP for your mana and is not dependent on the damage type.
There are a few others like Onslaught, that are useful. And if they are nerfed as well, the whole mastery system can join Armor Refinement as an example of how to waste limited development resources. In my opinion Devs' time would be much better spent improving masteries that nobody touches rather than gimping ones that actually work.
This is truly well said. If they need to read anything, I think this is the best post that said it all.

I am quite sure someone will come around next and try to say you are wrong. And they are the reason why the game is filled with useless, mundane, "so-called not-too-overpowered", ineffective and forgettable features. Also wasting our hard disk space to keep the graphics files.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way, T. rex often target the tamer. I because I just did this a few days ago, and i even died once while my pet survived. So what, nerf the Consume Damage? Tamer die, no consume damage, pet die if not logged out.

Yeah I am not the best player but that is my point, not everyone is as good as you Elite guys here.
It has nothing to do with skill level or being "elite." Things like the T-Rex required you to pay attention to your own character before Pub 98. You'll have to do it after too. I'm not seeing the issue?

There are things that require you to heal pets, even with Consume Damage: Putrefier, Shadowguard, etc. They'll still require it after. Similarly, there are things where you don't need to lift a finger - I gave you video evidence of that, but you have to go out and find them. You do have to be mindful of the range limit now, but that's about it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It has nothing to do with skill level or being "elite." Things like the T-Rex required you to pay attention to your own character before Pub 98. You'll have to do it after too. I'm not seeing the issue?

There are things that require you to heal pets, even with Consume Damage: Putrefier, Shadowguard, etc. They'll still require it after. Similarly, there are things where you don't need to lift a finger - I gave you video evidence of that, but you have to go out and find them. You do have to be mindful of the range limit now, but that's about it.
Show us a video of your sampire killing T rex. Lets compare.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Show us a video of your sampire killing T rex. Lets compare.
This is such a horrendously bad argument, I don't even know where to begin. How do you go from "A pet with Consume Damage up can tank/kill some low-level and mid-level spawn in a dungeon" to "Fight a boss-level monster with your sampire" and see how you do? You're acting like taming (with consume damage, even after the nerf) is some elite skill that requires you to pay attention to the slightest detail. In some cases, it does. Against some low/mid level mobs like Dragons and Greaters, it doesn't (and hasn't since Time of Legends launched.)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Again I want to know what is so bad about actually being able to defeat things in the game alone??? Most of us play alone anymore since no one is on or no one wants to "share" loot or chances at drops anymore since Greed is now the new norm... everyone wants to solo everything....

So either the DEVs need to nerf the crap out of Sampires so they can't solo anything anymore either... or they need to adjust things so other people can do game content... The Taming publish actually brought more things within reach for the tamer.... which for a LONG time has been left out in the cold... since 99% of newer mobs tear up pets like paper... or worse yet.... USE pets to heal themselves.

So Tamers have been left behind... I say they want balance... destroy the Sampire.

I've never AFK farmed anything... as for being able to kill T-Rex, Lurg or Pirates who the crap cares???? Do you get L33T loot from them???? Hells no. They have garbage just like everything else... you don't get anything that really sells off them.... they don't have some bad ass drop or anything.... so WHO CARES?????

Now if I could walk through a Champ Spawn in under 10 min..... maybe then someone should care. But most pets can't do that.... they can do the first 2 or 3 levels like a cakewalk.... but so can a sampire... they struggle after that and they could take 10 min just to kill the boss. Where a Sampire is at an OBVIOUS advantage there and can nearly walk through that too... so again... Either nerf that or stfu... and leave the tamer alone.

If I could take on anything in Doom fine.... but we all know that a tamer is dead in Doom... so again.... nerf the sampire.

If I could do much of any of the bosses in the Abyss solo..... but I can't... but a Sampire can.... so can my Archer... but not my tamer.... so again barking up the wrong tree here... Peerless...... lets see can't touch Paroxy, Dreadhorn maybe, Lady M Yep, Grizzled eats pets for dinner and consume or not they are pretty hard to keep alive, Travisty.... not that I could see... no.... so again.... Sampire can take more of those than a Tamer can...

So again why are we nerfing the tamer???

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is such a horrendously bad argument, I don't even know where to begin. How do you go from "A pet with Consume Damage up can tank/kill some low-level and mid-level spawn in a dungeon" to "Fight a boss-level monster with your sampire" and see how you do? You're acting like taming (with consume damage, even after the nerf) is some elite skill that requires you to pay attention to the slightest detail. In some cases, it does. Against some low/mid level mobs like Dragons and Greaters, it doesn't (and hasn't since Time of Legends launched.)
I may have sand in my eyes. But it sounds like:

Its perfectly fine if my melee character kills Mob X. But A tamer should not be able to do it. And if he can NERF IT!

Is that what you mean since I don't see a video of T Rex eating your Sampire.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may have sand in my eyes. But it sounds like:

Its perfectly fine if my melee character kills Mob X. But A tamer should not be able to do it. And if he can NERF IT!

Is that what you mean since I don't see a video of T Rex eating your Sampire.
No, because your "argument" is completely unrelated to the Consume Damage mastery, and, in fact, requires a leap only Superman could make.