• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

runebooks/devs

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I honestly hate to say it still but the colors are NOT any different. Just because they added the gold they did NOT change the colors.
some of my runebooks changed color. They went to default instead of being what i dyed them. Not all of them did, just some.

Still ugly, and no reason for it.

Solvency?

Do all artwork changes to EC only. Leave the "classic" client... well... Classic.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They have NOT changed. Trust me. Blot out all the corners and the ankh you will see that the colors are 100% identical.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Made a clearer screenshot. It's most notable on the undyed, the red and the blue runebooks.

CloseUpRunebooks.png

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I honestly hate to say it still but the colors are NOT any different. Just because they added the gold they did NOT change the colors.
That must be because you are looking at it on a non calibrated color TV, not a computer monitor. How can you not see a difference in color? They DID change the colors. Look at those giant pixelated colors Piotr just posted, can you not see a difference?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That must be because you are looking at it on a non calibrated color TV, not a computer monitor. How can you not see a difference in color? They DID change the colors. Look at those giant pixelated colors Piotr just posted, can you not see a difference?
The gold is teasing your eyes into thinking that the color has changed when infact it has NOT. All that happened is they added gold coloring to the runic symbol in the center and gold on the corners... that's it. Period...

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Time for an eye exam me thinks for someone. I can see an obvious color difference in the shades and it has nothing to do with them adding gold coloring.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Below are side-by-side comparisons of the backpacks of two different characters from several years ago with what they look like today. The colors of the runebooks don't look at all the same to me.

example 1.jpg
Note that in the picture below, the orange rune book in the second row in the first screen shot is next to the spellbook in the third row in the second screen shot. Otherwise all the books are in the second screen shot are in the same order/position as in the first screen shot.
example 2.jpg

Edited to add this example showing each row of books with old style above the new style:

example 3.jpg

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Started dying a bag the color the RB is meant to be and keeping each book in its own bag. Sucks but at least its workable.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Started dying a bag the color the RB is meant to be and keeping each book in its own bag. Sucks but at least its workable.
don't die books will be all over pack lol. ive asked for a book to hold rune books and mage type books. if u seen my pack in cc u would laugh. I just wish something was done for cc packs.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not much chance of my scribe and marker dying and my fighter/mage/thief types only carry one or two :)

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please can the devs do to spellbooks the wonderful job they done on the runebooks?

PS the runebook is white and gold, not blue and black

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glaring problems with the 92 and they **Fixed** rune books........ 16th Anni horses and Tiger Cub statues are working as intended though ;) . I rarely complain about pubs and fixes unless they are a major PITA like changing mining and LJ to ever changing ores and woods so that it was only a viable profession for scripters. This ain't quite at that level of stupid but seriously can one Dev or Diktater explain how doing something that really really annoys a whole lot of already annoyed players even more is good for the game? A friend who quit UO about 8 years ago stopped by today and saw this thread open on my desk and said "So they are still at inventing new ways to pi$$ the core customers off? and went on to say, I didn't quit over anyone thing it was how all the little annoying things stacked into the game being more annoying than it was fun." Crap like the rune book changes build a mental image for me of the dev team sitting around discussing what will make the most people annoyed and then implementing it. Again sorry, I don't normally rant or get angry but couldn't they have just made purple fuzzy tamable gibley grimes or something if they wanted to play with their coloring set?

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
did the pub fix these?
From what I can see, they haven't been changed back to the way they were originally but the colors are more distinguishable from each other now (which is what I wanted). I don't know if it fixed the problem people were having with the rare books as I don't have any of those. So if you wanted them back to the way they were originally I don't think you'll be happy but I'm happy with the compromise.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Origin & Izumo Release – 2/23/2016
The following changes have been made between TC1-Release 2 and Origin & Izumo. These changes are live on TC1 as well. None of Publish 92 is live on production servers.
Please note: Vendor search will not function properly in the Enhanced Client on Origin & Izumo until Publish 92 is deployed world wide.
  • Fixed issue with the spawn of Sir Geoffrey’s camp in the Valley of Eodon.
  • Fixed issue where partial hueing was not properly applied to the runebook. Runebooks should now properly partially hue.
  • Fixed issue where players could teleport onto the Great Ape’s banana hoard and the Great Ape could not attack them.
  • Fixed issue where flamestrike effects were not getting cleaned up in the Caldera encounter.
  • Fixed issue where in some cases trappers could spawn in an unreachable location during the Kurak portion of the Valley of One quest chain.
  • Fixed issue with density of tiger spawn south of the Kurak village.
  • Trappers spawned during the Kurak portion of the Valley of One quest chain now have a ten minute lifespan.
  • Pets and summons will now be able to attack the Great Ape and Tyrannosaurus Rex mobs so long as the owner is on the correct Valley of One quest step.
  • Reduced the intelligence of tiger cub mobs.
  • Adjusted the hue of the Valley of One Quest Item for the Urali tribe to match the Urali tribe’s native hue.
  • Tiger cubs can now be healed via magic and veterinary.
  • Reduced the hit points of the Tyrannosaurus Rex mob.
  • Leashed the Tyrannosaurus Rex mob to its spawn location.
  • The Tyrannosaurus Rex is now amphibious and can walk across the streams in Eodon.
  • Optimized the AIs on the Tyrannosaurus Rex mob.
Check on test center, it should have been corrected according to the patch notes.
The yellow ankhs and such *IS* the partial hue. ^^ is describing the current bad appearance.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
They have NOT changed. Trust me. Blot out all the corners and the ankh you will see that the colors are 100% identical.

They have changed. Trust me. Blot out all the corners and the ankh you will see that the colors are 100% NOT identical.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Made a clearer screenshot. It's most notable on the undyed, the red and the blue runebooks.

View attachment 43970
it looks like they took the darkest shade of the old color (which appeared on the upper right of the previous runebooks) and used that darker shade to color the entire new runebooks.......

runebooks are a "go to" that depend on being easily recognized...... this is why your player base is complaining.... what is so hard about softening the hue (including the gold ankh and corners) so that the colors are vibrant again and there is no confusion w/ littered runes?

artistic advances, fixing of a lack of partial hues... both of these can co-exist w/ pleasant functionality if you just took the above advice

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear devs, even though you done a great job with this, don't bother doing anything nice for people again since this thread is testement of how ungreatful we are.

Thanks a lot for the troll that is this entire thread.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Maybe you guys should transition to the Runic Atlas then.
1) Runic Atlas is an adjunct, not a replacement.
2) Runic Atlas is wider in your backpack than a runebook.
3) Runic Atlas also has the way too bright yellow highlights.
4) Runic Atlas cannot be dyed with plant dyes.
5) Runic Atlas cannot use the pen of wisdoms I spent CASH to buy from Broadsword.
6) Nearly two decades worth of runebooks already created and filled.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These books are dyed with plant dye. They don't look anywhere near that color now. This ruins a market for plant dye sales.

2ndred.jpg

@Mesanna Can we get these put back to what they were?

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Based on my customers who come seeking dye, and my own needs for it, I'd even say it kills the PRINCIPLE market for plant dyes.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I still can't get my mind around is (And I might be wrong) but I have NEVER heard or saw one single person complain about the REAL Runebooks. On the great list of things I expect to see complaints about, never would I have even thought Rune books would enter that list.

Here is what I see as the biggest problems with them, there is an entire economy and culture in game built around the RBs that is effectively destroyed. The libraries all look like crap now. My own small library took a lot of work to build and arrange and now looks like crap. Its seems the bigger the library is the crappier it looks, those folks that built those libraries have a lot of years and countless hours invested. All of the shades of dyed books now look the same. When stacked in the old wooden bench method with the end of the book sticking out, they all look the same. People have either spent small fortunes or countless hours obtaining the dyes that were used to create very unique libraries, all for nothing.

Runic Atlas as a replacement? Can't see someone who has spent endless hours marking runes and organizing books over the last nearly 20 years to do it all again. The act of dropping every rune from rune book and putting them in a atlas would be beyond tedious. Now that being said I do like the runic atlas for my characters that have low to no mage. Much easier to scribble off a 100 recalls and drop them in a 100 charge book than to constantly reload recalls into rune books. They wont be replacing books in the libraries though as they don't fit.

Again I ask why *Fix* what is not broken and no one is complaining about and take a total non issue and make it a major issue?

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tyrath. My guess is image. They have the symbol that represents this game. They wanted it highlighted.
Because the pack is always open. even when you're not paying attention to it they're in your peripheral view.
That burns a message if you're aware of it or not.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PLEASE revert the runebooks to their original graphic/hues. why was this change made? it wasn't broke to begin with.
The silent majority like the better detail, you do not speak for the majority. Someone please lock this ridiculous thread before anyone actually reads it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Y'all give it up and live with it. If I'm not mistaken, Mesanna already said in a meet/greet that the art is what it is and there will be no reverts. The newsletter basically told you they believe what they are doing now is the right thing, and that it will stay...so grin and bear it (or bare it) either way :D

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know, there can only be so many times the devs change things and ignore feedback before players quit.
Oh well, all the new players coming in, who arent familiar with the old color runebooks, will keep em going :rolleyes:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have begun the long arduous task of switching out runebooks for Atlas's... Freed up 20 slots in Malag's backpack... Only 35 or so more characters to update.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought the publish was supposed to 'fix' the fact that you couldn't actually 'read' the runes in the atlas. If so this is an epic fail, I still cannot open my atlas and read the marked runes in the book. Now even when I actually 'select' them to 'read' what they are I can't read them at all, used to be doing that made them legible, so it is even WORSE than it was. I have the bottom rune on the left page selected if you can try and read it. Hopeless.

runebookfade.jpg

as you can see you still can't read the bloody things, so what happened to the fix?

This is the most unusable object in UO.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I thought the publish was supposed to 'fix' the fact that you couldn't actually 'read' the runes in the atlas. If so this is an epic fail, I still cannot open my atlas and read the marked runes in the book. Now even when I actually 'select' them to 'read' what they are I can't read them at all, used to be doing that made them legible, so it is even WORSE than it was. I have the bottom rune on the left page selected if you can try and read it. Hopeless.

View attachment 44224

as you can see you still can't read the bloody things, so what happened to the fix?

This is the most unusable object in UO.
Strangely mine is actually legible. Not sure why yours looks like that.

I did however notice that you can't see anymore what you have set as the "default" rune... Used to be if you set one to default it was bright green... now it doesn't change at all.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Strangely mine is actually legible. Not sure why yours looks like that.

I did however notice that you can't see anymore what you have set as the "default" rune... Used to be if you set one to default it was bright green... now it doesn't change at all.
Well I have no idea, my 'normal' runebooks are fine.

runebooknormal.jpg

perfectly legible

compared to the Atlas (which in my view is even WORSE now than what it was and it was bad before)

runebookfade.jpg

As you can see in the normal books the 'default' selection is, as you said, dark green, the currently 'selected' rune is reddish. The Atlas has not improved for me one bit, we both play the EC so I have no idea, perhaps the powers that be might be able to explain @Kyronix

Right now the Atlas is still useless to me, and no way am I going to use them in my rune library. How are other people finding the supposedly 'readable' atlas's now?

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

View attachment 44228

perfectly legible

compared to the Atlas (which in my view is even WORSE now than what it was and it was bad before)

View attachment 44229

As you can see in the normal books the 'default' selection is, as you said, dark green, the currently 'selected' rune is reddish. The Atlas has not improved for me one bit, we both play the EC so I have no idea, perhaps the powers that be might be able to explain @Kyronix

Right now the Atlas is still useless to me, and no way am I going to use them in my rune library. How are other people finding the supposedly 'readable' atlas's now?
Wow, so many details that are wrong in the atlas that I can see within one minute. Buttons are not properly aligend to the labels. "Recall (Spell)" missing some margin at the top. "Charges:0 / 100", because spaces after colons are out of date!

It's so obvious the devs don't even test their new stuff for longer than 10 seconds. Maybe this could have been avoided with a closed runebook focus group lasting a couple of months :p

Maybe we can't be pleased ever. Or maybe lots of players have a way more professional background than GM Bonnie :D We can only be thankful that for the most time the game had people who noticed this. No hope for the current team though.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

View attachment 44228

perfectly legible

View attachment 44229

You are not using the latest Default UI which has updated hues that is your issue.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't know about all this UI stuff but Runebooks are still broken in the CC and don't look very classic.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even tho I had updated the UI to patch it, I did it again today and now it appears to be ok. Must have been the 2nd mini patch that fixed it? No idea, I thought maybe it was Pinco's but I know Mala uses Pinco's too so wasn't that. With Pinco's it appears as Malagaste says. Thanks @Bleak.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Even tho I had updated the UI to patch it, I did it again today and now it appears to be ok. Must have been the 2nd mini patch that fixed it? No idea, I thought maybe it was Pinco's but I know Mala uses Pinco's too so wasn't that. With Pinco's it appears as Malagaste says. Thanks @Bleak.
Right but like I said you can't tell when you set something to default anymore now.... kinda sucks.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have never thought a rune book color change would have pissed this many people off.

:flame:
I know, what's shocking is, the people who are complaining about the better runebooks are I'm sure Trammel players.
Yet whenever fel players complain about things like Spirituality and city buff being used in fel that do actually ruin the gameplay and genuinely affect people, it falls on deaf ears for months on end.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know, what's shocking is, the people who are complaining about the better runebooks are I'm sure Trammel players.
Yet whenever fel players complain about things like Spirituality and city buff being used in fel that do actually ruin the gameplay and genuinely affect people, it falls on deaf ears for months on end.
I am with you they should have left rune books alone and messed PvP up even more.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm a Trammy and you don't hear me complaining about the books.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a Trammy and you don't hear me complaining about the books.
I said the people who are complaining are likely to be trammel players, that does not mean to say that all trammel players will complain.