• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

runebooks/devs

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
End of it perhaps but another straw on the camels back. Did she happen to give any reason or logic behind this wonderful change that everyone just loves so much?
This just gets deeper and deeper, LOL.
There is currently a player on pac saying in gen chat that the devs announced that they would be holding a ballot box vote at the April 4th meet and greet to keep the change or revert it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is currently a player on pac saying in gen chat that the devs announced that they would be holding a ballot box vote at the April 4th meet and greet to keep the change or revert it.
Where was this announced? sounds like wishful thinking since they just said no revert...period, at the meet and greet

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where was this announced? sounds like wishful thinking since they just said no revert...period, at the meet and greet
I've no idea where he got that info and I told him I thought he was full of BS. :D

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix

can i ask what the rationality was for this change? it seems that overall the change did not promote any kind of progress, but rather further frustration and disillusionment with the games direction as a whole.

perhaps im missing something.

Could we have another type of runebook that at least look like the old ones. id be fine with the new ones, as long as i dont personally have to look at them in my pack. i find them distracting and awkard to effectively use.

maybe the devs were worried they would be short on questions for the next 12 months of meet and greets?

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i wish this was true. wouldn't it be funny if everyone at the next meet and greet asked the question 'when are the runebooks going to revert to the original graphic?'. i wonder if mesanna would get the point? or if she is just too stubborn / egotistical to revert them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i wish this was true. wouldn't it be funny if everyone at the next meet and greet asked the question 'when are the runebooks going to revert to the original graphic?'. i wonder if mesanna would get the point? or if she is just too stubborn / egotistical to revert them.
Pretty sure that she'd just say that the next one who asked they were booting them... and if that was all that you all were going to ask about they were leaving. She's set her mind. Get over it.... I still like it.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Kyronix

can i ask what the rationality was for this change? it seems that overall the change did not promote any kind of progress, but rather further frustration and disillusionment with the games direction as a whole.

perhaps im missing something.

Could we have another type of runebook that at least look like the old ones. id be fine with the new ones, as long as i dont personally have to look at them in my pack. i find them distracting and awkard to effectively use.

maybe the devs were worried they would be short on questions for the next 12 months of meet and greets?
all this because someone on the dev team wanted the classic runebooks to look like the new atlases? what kind of reasoning is that. blah

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pretty sure that she'd just say that the next one who asked they were booting them... and if that was all that you all were going to ask about they were leaving. She's set her mind. Get over it.... I still like it.
i had a beautifully displayed set of neon colored runebooks. they are so butt ugly now. i hate the change.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i had a beautifully displayed set of neon colored runebooks. they are so butt ugly now. i hate the change.
I would agree with that sentiment if everyone had access to them, but the neon books were the result of a dye tub exploit. I like the new changes in some ways but prefer the old school look.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
From the 3/21 Dev Meet and Greet on Sakura (full transcript here):

Mesanna: Greetings
EM Asiantam: about RB
EM Asiantam: simple question
EM Asiantam: why did you change their colors?
Mesanna: the issue was to enhance the art ankh and the outer edgings like the newer books
Mesanna: to make them when you dye then they are the same hues as the newer runebooks
Mesanna: it was not to cause isses with the older books
EM Asiantam: she is saying that she used to sort RB by colors
EM Asiantam: like
Mesanna: I get that
EM Asiantam: for Dull she added town runes
EM Asiantam: but
EM Asiantam: as you can see
EM Asiantam: they are now
Mesanna: and we all understand the old colors do not match the new ones
EM Asiantam: very hard to identofy
EM Asiantam: identify
Mesanna: you can dye those books
Mesanna: they will just be a different hue than the older ones
EM Asiantam: she is saying
EM Asiantam: this is worse in Classic
EM Asiantam: than EC
EM Asiantam: can you look into it?
EM Asiantam: so her question is
EM Asiantam: can you revert for Classic
EM Asiantam: not EC
Mesanna: we can look at the hues to see if they line up but we are not removing the art change
EM Asiantam: thank you
EM Asiantam: :)
Mesanna: most welcome

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess it would not be to awfully of an expensive boot since ive closed 36 of my accounts and there are only 12 left to go.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Dear @Mesanna ,

Mesanna: and we all understand the old colors do not match the new ones
Mesanna: you can dye those books
Mesanna: they will just be a different hue than the older ones
That made no sense.

Whether the new colors match the old ones, is not the issue.

The problem is, that the base color has become much darker. This causes the colors to become darker and thus harder to distinquish from eachother.

When stacked between benches, where you only can see a tiny fraction of the book, of which the yellow corners dominate, it's even harder.

Just take a look at my library.

MyLibrary.png

So I suggest (read, beg you) that you make the base color exactly like it was, before the changes.

You can keep the book corners, even though runebooks actually don't have them.

The ankh, on the other hand, should be toned down a bit, so it doesn't look exactly like an unmarked rune.

I have made this little mock-up to illustrate what I mean. The two blue books to the right, are the same book before and after the changes. The two to the left are undyed.

The two books in the middle, show how I imagine they could look.

MoreRunebooks3.png

Yours sincerely

Piotr

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you think they look like an unmarked rune you need to go have your eyes checked.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look there are not a lot of things I complain about. In fact it is a pretty short list when they fixed mining and Lumber jacking and made it a scripter only profession and made both of those skills that I very much enjoyed very much not worth engaging in. And made several years effort of marking runebooks with trees and mining spots totally wasted. So I put more effort into my scribe and marking runes and filling books. Now after a hour of trying to decide if it is a rune or a runebook the headaches start. I did not have a massive library only one floor with 140 books, I finally took it down the other day and boxed the rune books up. I got sick of looking at what is an outright eyesore. Rune Books really are effectively broken now for me. Thus taking away another part of the game that I enjoy. And the best I can figure is the only reason for it is Mesanna really likes very crappy art.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you think they look like an unmarked rune you need to go have your eyes checked.
For me your arguments have lost all credibility in this since they have been based in misinformation starting with they didn't change the color. Only after Mesanna said they did change the color have you came at it from a different angle.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Well, there are actually 20 runes, but I accidently placed two of them almost on top of each other. :smile2:

I'll bet you had to use the zoom to count them though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, there are actually 20 runes, but I accidently placed two of them almost on top of each other. :smile2:

I'll bet you had to use the zoom to count them though.
No..... I have a decent monitor and I use the EC which that wouldn't be a problem in since they don't stack on top of one another and besides..... my play screen is larger than a postage stamp.

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
And player base has the right to vote with their dollars. I say if you don't like it and you have multiple accounts pack up 1/2 of em in response. Enough of you 300 account holder people do this, they will get the message. Corporations Look at Dollar figures.

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Don't you feel a little stuck up ? I mean just because you like something, I have to 'Get over it' You do realize we both pay subs to play this game ? You are not the UO Queen FFS.

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hard to believe that the devs don't pay more attention to this site. Oh wait ... It's basically the same 20 peeps making the same 5 arguments ... Hmmmm... And to the guy w 48 accts - really?? I love this game as much as the next guy (or gal) but really?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You're playing on a massive TV screen (which I doubt many UO players are doing) and playing in the EC, which according to the devs is only about half the player base. While I don't doubt this change looks different to you than it may to others, it IS a noticeable difference for those of us using the CC on normal sized monitors. Given the many complaints in this thread and in game, I think it rather unfair to insist that everyone who doesn't like it should shut up and get over it or get their eyes examined. It's not just one person--it's many.

While I don't think this change is as game-shattering as some are making it out to be, it's certainly proving unwelcome for many players. I just don't see why this was necessary or why it's being upheld despite so much criticism. I still think the best option would be giving players the ability to toggle which look they wanted on their own books. If there's another underlying reason this change was needed then so be it, but "to make them match" just doesn't cut it for me. If anything needed to change, it should have been the new books, not the ones we've had for years and built community service houses out of.

Runebooks don't have gold scrolling on the edges (as you can tell when you open one--and neither do atlases for that matter). The gold DOES make them harder to distinguish if you have a bunch of them and HAS made a significant impact on the look of rune libraries. The change was supposedly made to make runebooks look more like atlases--how about making them WORK the same instead?

Of all the things the players have requested regarding art over the years, changing the appearance of rune books is something I don't recall ever seeing anyone ask for. I just don't understand the impetus behind it when there are many more worthwhile and requested uses of the artists' time.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're playing on a massive TV screen (which I doubt many UO players are doing) and playing in the EC, which according to the devs is only about half the player base. While I don't doubt this change looks different to you than it may to others, it IS a noticeable difference for those of us using the CC on normal sized monitors. Given the many complaints in this thread and in game, I think it rather unfair to insist that everyone who doesn't like it should shut up and get over it or get their eyes examined. It's not just one person--it's many.

While I don't think this change is as game-shattering as some are making it out to be, it's certainly proving unwelcome for many players. I just don't see why this was necessary or why it's being upheld despite so much criticism. I still think the best option would be giving players the ability to toggle which look they wanted on their own books. If there's another underlying reason this change was needed then so be it, but "to make them match" just doesn't cut it for me. If anything needed to change, it should have been the new books, not the ones we've had for years and built community service houses out of.

Runebooks don't have gold scrolling on the edges (as you can tell when you open one--and neither do atlases for that matter). The gold DOES make them harder to distinguish if you have a bunch of them and HAS made a significant impact on the look of rune libraries. The change was supposedly made to make runebooks look more like atlases--how about making them WORK the same instead?

Of all the things the players have requested regarding art over the years, changing the appearance of rune books is something I don't recall ever seeing anyone ask for. I just don't understand the impetus behind it when there are many more worthwhile and requested uses of the artists' time.
i wish i could like this 100 times.

here's an idea @Mesanna ... change the runebooks back to their original graphic then CHANGE THE RUNIC ATLAS to "match" the old style runebooks.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Speaking as someone who uses both a 17" LCD and a 23" LCD to play UO, there's no difference - either monitor looks the same, and on both, the new look looks awful, and is far harder to distinguish, as in the picture above. I really can't see how it gets better just being even bigger when someone's playing on a 48" TV screen - nor do I see how UO, a computer game, *should* be debatably functional only on console-gaming sized screens.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Yep! @Mesanna and her team.... i dont know what they are thinking half the time. Asinine.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Speaking as someone who uses both a 17" LCD and a 23" LCD to play UO, there's no difference - either monitor looks the same, and on both, the new look looks awful, and is far harder to distinguish, as in the picture above. I really can't see how it gets better just being even bigger when someone's playing on a 48" TV screen - nor do I see how UO, a computer game, *should* be debatably functional only on console-gaming sized screens.
im sure some of you have seen my set up. I have 7 screens running when im going full blast... 32 inch - 14 inch... the runebooks look awful on everyone of them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't you feel a little stuck up ? I mean just because you like something, I have to 'Get over it' You do realize we both pay subs to play this game ? You are not the UO Queen FFS.
No I don't. Mesanna pretty much said the same thing at least 2 or 3 times now....

And while I realize we all pay to play... I happen to like the change. I'm pretty sure Mesanna told everyone it's NOT changing back...

Now you can whine and complain all day long but it's not going to change back...

So why not try to get them to fix something far more broken... Like the fact that you can't use any of the special dyes on either these or the new atlas's... you can't use the plant dyes on them either... Personally I'd prefer if they gave us more ways to dye them... Instead of spending all energy criticizing her decision to make them actually not look like muddy poo in the pack and partially hue like they should have all along. And Kudos to her for sticking to her guns. Just ask nice to add more ways to distinguish them with more ways to dye them and more color variations.

And you all give me crap if I complain I want to quit because I can't do something as simple as loot a boss mob at the EM Events... You all want to close accounts because they changed a runebook to look nicer? Whatever.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making the Ankh stand out could have been a cool idea. It should have been done using complimentary colors similar to the color of the book and not with safety vest yellow. That's how my eyes see this and it's even worse when trying to buy blank runes with a pack full of these caution light runebooks.

If they don't plan on changing this back at least give us the option to dye the Ankh and borders another color. Have it sold in shops, have it player made or make it another vet reward for all I care, just do something. @Mesanna @Kyronix

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
No I don't. Mesanna pretty much said the same thing at least 2 or 3 times now....

And while I realize we all pay to play... I happen to like the change. I'm pretty sure Mesanna told everyone it's NOT changing back...

Now you can whine and complain all day long but it's not going to change back...

So why not try to get them to fix something far more broken... Like the fact that you can't use any of the special dyes on either these or the new atlas's... you can't use the plant dyes on them either... Personally I'd prefer if they gave us more ways to dye them... Instead of spending all energy criticizing her decision to make them actually not look like muddy poo in the pack and partially hue like they should have all along. And Kudos to her for sticking to her guns. Just ask nice to add more ways to distinguish them with more ways to dye them and more color variations.

And you all give me crap if I complain I want to quit because I can't do something as simple as loot a boss mob at the EM Events... You all want to close accounts because they changed a runebook to look nicer? Whatever.

Here is my take on it.

Kyronix> I don't think anyone is going to use the new atlas.

Mesanna> Just jack with the coloring of the old ones, it will upset people but we will do it in the guise of standardizing the hueing of both types of rune books. :)
Mesanna> If they cant distinguish the old books from the runes, or in a rune lib, then there is the incentive for them to use the atlas. Also lets make the crafting recipe a one time drop while we are at it !

Sure fixing far more broken things is a priority I agree, but why break not broken things in the first place? ( I just see this as a straw man excuse ).

I am not suggesting quitting UO over rune books. I am suggesting that devs that seem to think their opinion > everyone else's ( Its my game attitude), is easily swayed by higher execs when a account exodus occurs..

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hard to believe that the devs don't pay more attention to this site. Oh wait ... It's basically the same 20 peeps making the same 5 arguments ... Hmmmm... And to the guy w 48 accts - really?? I love this game as much as the next guy (or gal) but really?
12 accounts :) I already closed the other 36 ;) But whether it is 12 accounts or 1200 accounts who are you to judge how I spend my spare change?

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix> I don't think anyone is going to use the new atlas.
Was so excited about these. Made a bunch!!! moved all my runes from my small library into them, celebrated all the freed up lockdowns. And only then did I realize they didnt work like the runebooks...as useless as teats on a boar hog.

So I put the runebooks back, and threw the useless sumbitches away. Wont make another one, period. Fooled me once...

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
12 accounts :) I already closed the other 36 ;) But whether it is 12 accounts or 1200 accounts who are you to judge how I spend my spare change?

Ummm.. U said it in a forum. Isn't basically every reply or post here able to be judged? Lighten up Francis.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was so excited about these. Made a bunch!!! moved all my runes from my small library into them, celebrated all the freed up lockdowns. And only then did I realize they didnt work like the runebooks...as useless as teats on a boar hog.

So I put the runebooks back, and threw the useless sumbitches away. Wont make another one, period. Fooled me once...
I like the Atlas in the back pack lets me put the most common places in one book for each toon..... Wish the pen of wisdom worked on them but no huge deal. Now for particular places for particular characters theold rune books are not going anywhere. I recall, gate, SJ of the book to the default IE In the red runebook its Fel Hythloth but wait is that the red runebook or the brown runebook , or is the green book or the blue book and we won't even go into the nightmare of 20 books and 60 runes in the backpack when marking books for someone else. But i side track.......... The Atlas does have one good use and as you said other than that it is as useless as the teats on my boars...... Nope wait them boys teats ain't worthless, they provide hours of laughter as the piglets try to nurse off dads teats LOL

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ummm.. U said it in a forum. Isn't basically every reply or post here able to be judged? Lighten up Francis.
I know not this Francis you speak of, so you obviously have me confused with someone else. You can call me Tyrath, Mike, MR. T5R, Big Daddy Pump A Stump, or Master but drop the Cutesy names, we ain't never gonna know each other well enough for sweetheart names.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And only then did I realize they didnt work like the runebooks...as useless as teats on a boar hog.

I have played so little in the last six months or so that I have yet to use one of the recipes for the atlases and make some. How do they work, then, if they don't work like runebooks? I was just under the impression that they hold a few more runes and look different on the outside. What makes them so useless in comparison to runebooks??