• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

runebooks/devs

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I really hate it. Below are snaps of the bag on my female elf mage archer.

The one on the left is before the change, the one on the right after the change. I been trying to change them to a color that I could tell at a glance was which book I had before. In the left bag, my blue book was Tram city, the green was Fel, the three reds were danger locations, dungeons etc.. The pink one was home. The blue was in game freinds homes the purple was vendors I shop at. Now I have a real problem with this and with so many characters I switch on, my colors are out the window so to speak.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually in the backpacks they look pretty good. The only problem the new colors cause is with rune libraries, which is shown in the earlier GIF.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually in the backpacks they look pretty good. The only problem the new colors cause is with rune libraries, which is shown in the earlier GIF.
IF you are having problems at the rune library again I say you all need glasses and I thought my eyes were bad... You all are blind and it's REALLY not that bad. Go to the Rune Library and have a look... NOT that bad.

As for the books in the pack I can see the colors just fine... maybe it's your screen.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
As for the books in the pack I can see the colors just fine... maybe it's your screen.
Its the same screen I was using for the snaps above. All my snaps are dated and uploaded to the cloud, and I can tell there is a big change, is the colors for the rune book tub.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll add my voice to the minority opinion. I rather like the new look.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At least you admit there is a problem
Yes with your monitor... the runebooks look awesome IMO. But then my monitor is a 48" LED HDTV... so the colors are crisp bright and the book is bigger than my pinkynail.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok.... now we know what the developers are using to see this game.

Thank you
No idea what they use... Maybe you should ask?

Edit: And right now I'm on a laptop... much smaller screen still looks fine.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why are you being so insistent Malag? Me thinks thee do protest too much. I made a post after the first change saying I loved them, I stand by that, after the next and last change we got they're impossible to distinguish between colors. I use runebook dye tub and those colors are just a mishmash of blah now. This last change just destroyed them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why are you being so insistent Malag? Me thinks thee do protest too much. I made a post after the first change saying I loved them, I stand by that, after the next and last change we got they're impossible to distinguish between colors. I use runebook dye tub and those colors are just a mishmash of blah now. This last change just destroyed them.
Because I actually like them better this way and I don't want to discourage them from fixing all the 100's of other items that need to partially hue instead of looking like they are dumped in a paint bucket.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I liked the short-lived middle option best.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
IF you are having problems at the rune library again I say you all need glasses and I thought my eyes were bad... You all are blind and it's REALLY not that bad. Go to the Rune Library and have a look... NOT that bad.

Bright color against dull / darker background, your eye is specifically built to focus on the bright color. Yes, I can see the colors - when I try, and after a moment to focus. Before, I could simply see them at a glance. Now, that bright ugly yellow distracts my eye so badly, I really don't even want these books in my pack. Oh, and I have 20/10 vision, so it's not a case of bad eyesight.

Additionally, as mentioned somewhere, runebooks DO NOT HAVE YELLOW CORNERS in the gump. So why would they have it added now on the item image? It was consistent before, now it's inconsistent and ugly.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i resorted to not using runebooks at all. i really only use each runebook for 1 rune (the default) so i can easily recall/sacred journey off of it anyway.

its much more comfortable to just have 5 to 15 runes loose in my pack now than expose myself to repulsive travesty of the new books. i can at least see the runes.(only see the yellow edges of the runebooks with how i had them arranged)

i put my small home rune library in a box now, out of sight for use when i only absolutely need to look at it.

just seems like it was a huge pain in the ass to have to rework my packs just because of a change no one even asked for.

the age of runebooks is over everyone. it was a good run. back to basics.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sorry I still feel they are better. Honestly it's better... it's FAR more crisp and less pixelated IMO and it looks WAY better.

I just don't understand why all you get so up in arms about a little graphical change and IMO it makes the books FAR easier to see. And I honestly don't see any problem in seeing the colors. I thought my eyesight was bad but you all need glasses or better monitors.

And truth be told my character has at LEAST 20 runebooks in his pack.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using no runebooks at all really isn't an option for me because I look after a Rune Library. One that I'm not about to give up on EVER.

If you watch JC's video closely you can see the circular mats on the floor dyed to match the colors that the runebooks used to match. All three floors of the library were color coded to make it easy for the casual user to walk in and know what facet the book was for.

The white books aren't so drastic but almost everything else is totally off. Note the red mat that I am standing next too. Note the "red" the books are now. These red books are dyed with Natural dyes.

redrune.jpg

Before this patch it was relatively easy to tell which Facet the book was for.

3rdrune.jpg

See that mess? How is anyone able to tell anything by those colors?

snap0492.jpg

Compare this to JC's video.

I can understand wanting a bit more distinct book but there's no reason what so ever to change the shades so totally that they are no where near what they were. The only books that are bright now are the neon ones which we don't have access too. So make the neon books available to everyone or change the colors back to what they were. Make the furniture tubs shades available not the armor shades. Honestly why did this need to change? Why make even make any of your player base upset for no good reason?

It's about making your customer happy, not driving them away in droves over things that did not need to change. There's so many things that you could be working on that would make people happy!!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They really need to back off the firm stance of "No Revert" on this one. Making 99% angry over this is not a deal breaker for most of us, but it adds to the pile of other crap. Despite how neat Mes. thinks they look they are an eye sore and IMO opinion just below the changing random resources that make script mining and LJ the only way to have reasonable odds of getting higher ores and woods. Just more fixing things that are not broken , when there are plenty of things that are broken.......... Like all the missing doors in Luna on Origin :)

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it's FAR more crisp and less pixelated IMO and it looks WAY better.

No one is arguing if they look better or not. We're looking for practicality of color schemes. As BrianFreud points out the bright color draws your eye away from the color we're looking for. When your eye scans for green the first thing you see is gold. Which means you need to focus on each book to find what your looking for.

Since you want to change the subject to what looks better. One thing that isn't talked about is basic color theory. How yellow on green and yellow on red is a major clash that makes you want to turn away. Picture anything that is yellow on green it's freaking ugly.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry I still feel they are better. Honestly it's better... it's FAR more crisp and less pixelated IMO and it looks WAY better.

I just don't understand why all you get so up in arms about a little graphical change and IMO it makes the books FAR easier to see. And I honestly don't see any problem in seeing the colors. I thought my eyesight was bad but you all need glasses or better monitors.

And truth be told my character has at LEAST 20 runebooks in his pack.
I'd stop worrying about it.

That's the mentality of the average UO player. There's a famous quote, which is assumed to be quoted from Henry Ford (yet no proof exists). Nevertheless it is a really good one:

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.
IMHO that hits the nail for the UO community. They do not want real improvements. If they want something, then just minor adjustments to their outdated stuff/systems or pixel crack. They're basically stuck in 1998. Which is also, why playerbase will never ever be able to increase.

Picture anything that is yellow on green it's freaking ugly.
BP would disagree:
BP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
said, "BP would disagree"

Advertisers use ugly colors schemes to get your attention. Anything to get your attention.
They clearly don't do it for something that is pleasant to look at that you want to view for hours at a time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No one is arguing if they look better or not. We're looking for practicality of color schemes. As BrianFreud points out the bright color draws your eye away from the color we're looking for. When your eye scans for green the first thing you see is gold. Which means you need to focus on each book to find what your looking for.

Since you want to change the subject to what looks better. One thing that isn't talked about is basic color theory. How yellow on green and yellow on red is a major clash that makes you want to turn away. Picture anything that is yellow on green it's freaking ugly.
If you think that green and yellow don't look good together tell that to the GreenBay Packers.... or the makers of John Deere Tractors... one of the largest Tractor Manufacturers in the US. All their products are green and yellow.

As for Red and Yellow not going well I think around this state those might be fighting words too... since Iowa State University uses Red and Yellow... There are 100's of things that are red and yellow.. or red and gold. Infact many things associated with royalty are red and gold.. or purple and gold. Gold is an embellishment... goes with almost anything.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
said, "BP would disagree"

Advertisers use ugly colors schemes to get your attention. Anything to get your attention.
They clearly don't do it for something that is pleasant to look at that you want to view for hours at a time.
At best that's an educated guess. Those have been their company colors for at least over half a century. Why they really picked the colors, noone can say for sure. But let's not derail this thread...

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would you wear yellow ON green? not yellow and green. Would you have a yellow on green purse?
Would you have a yellow on green car?

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you think that green and yellow don't look good together tell that to the GreenBay Packers.... or the makers of John Deere Tractors... one of the largest Tractor Manufacturers in the US. All their products are green and yellow.

As for Red and Yellow not going well I think around this state those might be fighting words too... since Iowa State University uses Red and Yellow... There are 100's of things that are red and yellow.. or red and gold. Infact many things associated with royalty are red and gold.. or purple and gold. Gold is an embellishment... goes with almost anything.
Gettin' awful lonely in your corner Mal, just sayin'. This is definitely something that needs a poll.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gettin' awful lonely in your corner Mal, just sayin'. This is definitely something that needs a poll.
I think it just needs some time for you all to get over it.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO suscribers (mainly trammel players) are constantly asking for nice artwork, the devs have gone out of their way from doing much needed bug fixing to kindly give you these beautiful looking books and all you (mainly trammel) players do is complain.

PLEASE DELETE THIS ENTIRE RIDICULOUS THREAD

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
All they did was flip a switch from "completely dye" to "partially dye". I half think they did it accidentally. ...Just like this publish's notes say they're just now changing grass and snow tiles to not go into packies and beatles, even though that change was actually made, accidentally, 4 publishes ago, and it too was a BAD CHANGE.

They're doing what they want, and not listening to the player base any more. @Thrakkar, this isn't a question of faster horses. It's more as if Henry Ford started selling zebras, not cars. These aren't revolutionary improvements; they're 'minor' changes that just happen to actually have a large impact on players - and which were never asked for by players. I seriously do not see why every change anymore is just shoved on us, and is always "no revert". It's as if Mesanna cannot admit to sometimes being wrong.

The shadows on the crafted vase are still very very wrong.
The new fountain makes a joke out of perspective.
We have never been able to carry grass and snow tiles on packies (except that we always could).
Runebooks get bright yellow lines added where there are none on the gump, and bright yellow ankhs that make them an utter eyesore in your pack.
Atlases have the same bright yellow ankh, and never should have.
Text in runebooks was changed to make it more readable - except now you can't read the blurry mess that is green text.
Mages, scribes, and rune libraries get the shaft again as yet more of the game becomes no-recall/no-gate/no-mark.

...and this is just the recent issues. :(

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its basic kindergarden science, i would think most learned this.

colors are most complimentary when they are direct opposite of the color spectrum on the color wheel.

anytime you have 1 bright color on a background, its only going to directly compliment 1 other color, and look "ok" with the few color backgrounds very close to that direct complimentary.

this is just the science of how the eye works, theres all sorts of reasons to use "bad" non-complimentary color schemes, and some people just like ugly.

the point is, when you have a bright, crisp outline in a single color, the majority of background colors wont be complimentary to it. youll be stuck with a select few unless you want excessive eye strain.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked them at first until I saw whole libraries and they look awful. I'm afraid if they do a revert they'll all go back to the poo poo platter brown though.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked them at first until I saw whole libraries and they look awful. I'm afraid if they do a revert they'll all go back to the poo poo platter brown though.
you prefer poo-poo blues? without neon tubs all the colors now look very similar. a quick fix would be provide a runebook dyetub with the cloth colors. (right now the only option for that is to use the illegal ones, and even the neons were toned down significantly)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you prefer poo-poo blues? without neon tubs all the colors now look very similar. a quick fix would be provide a runebook dyetub with the cloth colors. (right now the only option for that is to use the illegal ones, and even the neons were toned down significantly)
I will say that I agree we do need more color choices for dying runebooks.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'll have to side with MalagAste on this one. I like the new runebooks. To me, they don't blend into the backpack as much. I even like the gold accents. I think they better represent a magical book.

You do have to admit, though, that this thread could certainly show why the dev team is reluctant to work on the game's artwork. It's a completely subjective thing.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to side with MalagAste on this one. I like the new runebooks. To me, they don't blend into the backpack as much. I even like the gold accents. I think they better represent a magical book.

You do have to admit, though, that this thread could certainly show why the dev team is reluctant to work on the game's artwork. It's a completely subjective thing.
If I didn't know any better I'd like them too but once you get used to the same thing for 15-20 years then change doesn't come that easily.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Honestly I wouldn't have as big of a problem with it if the colors were more distinguishable from each other. I didn't mind the addition of the gold trim in the first change but now background colors of the books are too close to each other. I can distinguish them if I focus on them and that's the problem, for the longest time I didn't have to give a second thought to which runebook I needed, now I have to stop and double check. When something is changed this drastically from the way it has been for over a decade then there is going to be some backlash. I'll be happy if the base colors were more readily distinguishable from each other.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just checked all my runebooks and all my neon/bright runebooks are now like all my other runebooks, TYVM UO.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just checked all my runebooks and all my neon/bright runebooks are now like all my other runebooks, TYVM UO.
I wish i could better express how pissed i be with this too. I'm german and my english sound's so harmless and softend to express my really anger!

These rare colors are now gone forever! Natural dyed rune books with looks pretty nice - these colors are now even worthless for runebooks. So what's next with Tokuno dyed books or Clean-Up colors - Colors you have to be working hard for - or with are no longer buyable or reachable by playing? You're thinking abount this?

What i will say is.... i have nothing against if they're fixing art ingame - if runebooks and the new rune-atlas absolutly must have the same look - it's oki for me if this works good by well planning, developping and designing - but you should't never touch any colors already in game! It's my choise which color of the given one i like or not and not your's ;)

..... a somewhat ungood feeling in my stomach already tell me that next morning i awake and they fixed all dye tubes to "unique" colors - welcome unity look ;)

Last edited:

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The runebooks have all been gilded. You all have more gold now.

You're welcome.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Piotr, I gotta say, I'm not seeing any difference in color at all. I know that you and other people are, obviously.

Is there something going on with video card setups or something?

I'm not joking around or anything. Could this be a hardware thing?

When I look at those two pictures, the colors, hues, shades, etc. look exactly the same. Not just close, but exactly. I actually thought you had posted the same pic twice until I saw the gold ankh in the "new" version.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Piotr, I gotta say, I'm not seeing any difference in color at all. I know that you and other people are, obviously.

Is there something going on with video card setups or something?

I'm not joking around or anything. Could this be a hardware thing?
They are not the same. The base hue of the entire runebook has changed, thus every dyed color has as well. If you look at the default color it is now a darker brown, so any bright colors will be hued darker as well. It has nothing to do with hardware.

Let me enhance the image for you.

runebook color compare.png

For reference: when you dye an item in UO it does not completely replace the existing color with the new one. It takes the existing base color and shifts the palette to the dye. This is why some items look terrible when dyed, especially dark ones. If a imagine color is changed, as has happened with runebooks, then it will change every dyed runebook in the game.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are not the same. The base hue of the entire runebook has changed, thus every dyed color has as well. If you look at the default color it is now a darker brown, so any bright colors will be hued darker as well. It has nothing to do with hardware.

Let me enhance the image for you.
Hmm. Well, I understand what you're saying now, thanks for the clarification at least. I'm just not seeing it myself, even with the enhanced image. Honestly, I really can't tell the difference between those colors.

Obviously many other people can and are genuinely upset about it.

No idea what to say further. Sorry it is upsetting so many people.

It takes the existing base color and shifts the palette to the dye.
What does "shift the palette to the dye" mean?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I honestly hate to say it still but the colors are NOT any different. Just because they added the gold they did NOT change the colors.