• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

runebooks/devs

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I didn't mind the first changes to my rune books. got another patch today and now my rune book colors are messed up.
I had them all color coded but now cant tell which is which. will this be changed back or? anyone else like or hate? is it a bug? I'm using cc

oh devs, by the way, I notice all the doors in luna bank area are missing. I don't mind lol. it could be a glitch.

Devs edit: I didn't except this post to be so big. I thought the fix was for the atlas rune books. I use cc. I dont think this will be changed. one thing that can make this change much better for me and was hoping for, is to have a book that can hold my rune books and mage books. u would laugh if u seen my backpack. this could solve things for some people. I know the gold trim on the rune books makes it tougher to see when stacked with benches. just think, having a book with a list of named rune books to easily sort through and find where u want to go. just my hope ty devs

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Origin & Izumo Release – 2/23/2016
The following changes have been made between TC1-Release 2 and Origin & Izumo. These changes are live on TC1 as well. None of Publish 92 is live on production servers.
Please note: Vendor search will not function properly in the Enhanced Client on Origin & Izumo until Publish 92 is deployed world wide.
  • Fixed issue with the spawn of Sir Geoffrey’s camp in the Valley of Eodon.
  • Fixed issue where partial hueing was not properly applied to the runebook. Runebooks should now properly partially hue.
  • Fixed issue where players could teleport onto the Great Ape’s banana hoard and the Great Ape could not attack them.
  • Fixed issue where flamestrike effects were not getting cleaned up in the Caldera encounter.
  • Fixed issue where in some cases trappers could spawn in an unreachable location during the Kurak portion of the Valley of One quest chain.
  • Fixed issue with density of tiger spawn south of the Kurak village.
  • Trappers spawned during the Kurak portion of the Valley of One quest chain now have a ten minute lifespan.
  • Pets and summons will now be able to attack the Great Ape and Tyrannosaurus Rex mobs so long as the owner is on the correct Valley of One quest step.
  • Reduced the intelligence of tiger cub mobs.
  • Adjusted the hue of the Valley of One Quest Item for the Urali tribe to match the Urali tribe’s native hue.
  • Tiger cubs can now be healed via magic and veterinary.
  • Reduced the hit points of the Tyrannosaurus Rex mob.
  • Leashed the Tyrannosaurus Rex mob to its spawn location.
  • The Tyrannosaurus Rex is now amphibious and can walk across the streams in Eodon.
  • Optimized the AIs on the Tyrannosaurus Rex mob.
Check on test center, it should have been corrected according to the patch notes.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
View attachment 43518

View attachment 43519

View attachment 43520

It's so irritating when things change over time. Damn UO dev team. We could still be flying a Union Jack.
as much as i appreciate what you are going for there... I believe there are a ton of collectors that love the older versions of all of those things. IN fact most of those older things have far more worth than the current things...

Its called Nostalgia and there are a ton of us that play this game because of it... Stop trying to play dress up with my 18 year old car.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as much as i appreciate what you are going for there... I believe there are a ton of collectors that love the older versions of all of those things. IN fact most of those older things have far more worth than the current things...

Its called Nostalgia and there are a ton of us that play this game because of it... Stop trying to play dress up with my 18 year old car.
I have a classic car. Nostalgia it has.

It also has seat belts that would snap your spine, gets about 12 miles to the gallon (on a good day), the rubber in the hoses, seals, and linings, is made from a time and technology that made it more likely to fail than work and the metals in the frame and body panels were never coated and are prone to rust and cracking. The Chrome needs to be mostly replaced. The window glass is thin, and if involved in an accident would break into razor sharp and heavy shards. It has power steering, but not power brakes. To get it to stop quickly, a full grown man has to stand on the brake, which causes the wheels to lock and the car to slide (mostly) out of control. It can take a corner about like a sailing galleon.

Nostalgia has its time and place, but time and change march on.

Keeping old things is fine, but that doesn't mean stopping time, or forcing everyone else to stop advancing, just 'cause you (or I) liked it back then.

So, stop trying to bog down my game with that 18 year old rust bucket. :tongue:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
In EC - I think it made the runebooks easier to distinguish from spellbooks. My primary mystic mage weaver carries about 10 spellbooks and half a dozen runebooks, so the change was long overdue in my eyes.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a classic car. Nostalgia it has.

It also has seat belts that would snap your spine, gets about 12 miles to the gallon (on a good day), the rubber in the hoses, seals, and linings, is made from a time and technology that made it more likely to fail than work and the metals in the frame and body panels were never coated and are prone to rust and cracking. The Chrome needs to be mostly replaced. The window glass is thin, and if involved in an accident would break into razor sharp and heavy shards. It has power steering, but not power brakes. To get it to stop quickly, a full grown man has to stand on the brake, which causes the wheels to lock and the car to slide (mostly) out of control. It can take a corner about like a sailing galleon.

Nostalgia has its time and place, but time and change march on.

Keeping old things is fine, but that doesn't mean stopping time, or forcing everyone else to stop advancing, just 'cause you (or I) liked it back then.

So, stop trying to bog down my game with that 18 year old rust bucket. :tongue:

Runebooks are not a seal, or a lining... the "fix" was purely cosmetic... it had nothing to do with with a functional thing. It wasnt bogging down anything and its a waste of the devs time... how about instead of screwing up runebooks they fix the account mngmt website... how long is that over due?

It would be like giving your 18 year old car a crappy paint job before you even got it running. :)

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Runebooks are not a seal, or a lining... the "fix" was purely cosmetic... it had nothing to do with with a functional thing. It wasnt bogging down anything and its a waste of the devs time... how about instead of screwing up runebooks they fix the account mngmt website... how long is that over due?

It would be like giving your 18 year old car a crappy paint job before you even got it running. :)
I totally guessing here, but since they were working on atlases, they had the code open at that location and decided to change rune books at the same time? I agree that from this view it seems an odd place to spend resources but maybe there was something else going on as well? Who knows.

I also agree about the account management website. I haven't had many problems with it since it first launched, but I just re-upped an account a couple weekends ago and it was not nearly as accessible as it should have been.
***I had a section here about the account "management" system. :bdh: So I deleted it.***

But I really agree with you about the account management website.

I think you and I both know the account management system is out of Broadsword's hands at this point and is something EA is keeping close reins on.

Oh, and on that car...funny thing. My father worked at a prison (this is like 20 years ago). Took the car in to get it fixed. Came back with a "new" paint job. Went from original Seafoam Green to something the cons mixed up on the spot. Some type of forest-metallic- seafoam green. Now it's Kustom!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I totally guessing here, but since they were working on atlases, they had the code open at that location and decided to change rune books at the same time? I agree that from this view it seems an odd place to spend resources but maybe there was something else going on as well? Who knows.

I also agree about the account management website. I haven't had many problems with it since it first launched, but I just re-upped an account a couple weekends ago and it was not nearly as accessible as it should have been.
***I had a section here about the account "management" system. :bdh: So I deleted it.***

But I really agree with you about the account management website.

I think you and I both know the account management system is out of Broadsword's hands at this point and is something EA is keeping close reins on.

Oh, and on that car...funny thing. My father worked at a prison (this is like 20 years ago). Took the car in to get it fixed. Came back with a "new" paint job. Went from original Seafoam Green to something the cons mixed up on the spot. Some type of forest-metallic- seafoam green. Now it's Kustom!
hahaha

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if this is new or not but I noticed they can be dyed with natural dyes which is pretty neat.

Tokuno pigments didn't work and I don't have any cleanup dyes to test.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure if this is new or not but I noticed they can be dyed with natural dyes which is pretty neat.

You have millions of free points on TC1...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

As long as Tokuno dyes don't work on an item neither will the clean up dyes or any other bottles like that since they are coded the same. Which IMO STINKS.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Runebooks and atlases... WAY too yellow. Atlases needed to look more like runebooks, not the other way around. The green text in both is now also way too dark and blurry looking to read.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
The dev's tribute to "The Good the Bad and the Ugly", celebrating its 50 years anniversary? :confused2:

NewRunebooks2.jpg NewRunebooks.jpg NewRunebooks3.jpg

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First thing I saw when I loaded up after the patch was how bad my runebooks looked. I am sorry but I cant tell the blues from the greens....the yellow is so bright!!! I vote to repeal this! If they don't fix this ugh!!!! ill be using counting line by line to know what book to cast on!!!!! not happy:Begging:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You all do realize that if I blotted out that "gold" on there the color of your runebooks is EXACTLY the same as they always have been. I personally think they look much better now.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You all do realize that if I blotted out that "gold" on there the color of your runebooks is EXACTLY the same as they always have been. I personally think they look much better now.
Maybe for you but not for most of us, try having a pack of runes and un dyed rune books you really can't tell the runes from the books. They might be exactly the same except the colors are wayyyyyyy off and it is a nightmare trying to tell which book is which now as the blues and greens are hard to tell apart...... we won't even go into the different shades of the colors. So yeah the books are exactly the same but the cosmetics suck cucumbers.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Maybe they look the same for you (in EC?), but for the majority of us, the changes have been major! :frown2:

Runebooks3.png

This is bad.

RuneLibrary.gif

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the problem is when you have them arranged neatly in a pack its hard to differentiate the colors now

books.png

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
maybe if they made the gold lining a softer hue and brought back the colors to their previous hues the change would affect people less aversely

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see how folks who had books stacked in such a way as to see mainly corners of the book are having issues. Before the corners of the books adopted the hue of the rest of the book, whereas now, the corners retain the gold trim making the actual color of the book harder to see.

However, I will join the camp that likes the change. I have always disliked the "dye" process that makes things look like you just dipped the entire item into a vat of paint. When you dye something I want to be able to keep the trim and embellishments seperate and distinct, which is what they did to the runebook.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I wonder if a toggle is feasible? Everyone could choose their own runebook coloration.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The new color rune books are ugly.
Nothing more to say! I agree totally with you.

I've have had colored most of my books with natural dyes which looks really pretty. So for what I have done all the work with plantgrowing to get the colored seeds for dying? Worthless now - and I also wonder myself why the books are having now "wrong colors" which works fine for years? Is there nothing better to do than give us "right colored books" now? ;)

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It used to be easy to distinguish books in a rune library by area, not so easy nowadays.
runebooks.jpg

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
ok So I read and read and read got tired or reading. MY RUNEBOOKS ARE RUINED!!!! I am a Scribe and I mark runes all day long everyday. Now I can not tell my books apart and I can not see the runes when I buy 50 or so since they match the rune on the book and all the colors are ugly ugly UGLY. Plus Im going blind staring at the screen now 5 inches away trying to tell things apart :sad2::sad2: Please Change the color of the Books back. Put The Colors Back! Thank You :sad2::sad2::sad2: Opalala of Atlantic SCRIBE

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is one of those things that makes me not want to log into the game. its not like just deco i can avoid if i dont like it, its something everyone must use daily.

staring at this bright yellow, all too sharp edging just isnt something that makes me want to log in. yes, one of the only reasons i still play UO is aesthetics, and this change was a slap in the face.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
True, but if you are coming back from a year + break ya can't remember what order they were in o.0
If you just came back from a break.... then you have to relearn it all anyway and the color/design of the book shouldn't matter.

Honestly I am EXTREMELY happy that they are getting things back to partial hueing like it should have been all alone... I HATE the dumped in a paint bucket look and I am SERIOUSLY hoping that they do this for plants and 100's of other things in the game as well.... because NOTHING looks worse in the game than to dye items and have them look like you soaked them in a paint bucket. I'd like to see Spellbooks updated, some armor items so they keep the edging and such... arcane clothing... adding more depth to some of the items is a wonderful thing.... trust me.

There are so many things that the art guy can be updating and fixing and I want to encourage him to keep doing it.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you just came back from a break.... then you have to relearn it all anyway and the color/design of the book shouldn't matter.

Honestly I am EXTREMELY happy that they are getting things back to partial hueing like it should have been all alone... I HATE the dumped in a paint bucket look and I am SERIOUSLY hoping that they do this for plants and 100's of other things in the game as well.... because NOTHING looks worse in the game than to dye items and have them look like you soaked them in a paint bucket. I'd like to see Spellbooks updated, some armor items so they keep the edging and such... arcane clothing... adding more depth to some of the items is a wonderful thing.... trust me.

There are so many things that the art guy can be updating and fixing and I want to encourage him to keep doing it.
so far it looks like you and @Merus are the only ones that like the change... perhaps a few others.

They are pretty dang hideous to me. not to mention the rune book libraries i have built for several people are pretty much ruined.

This is one of those things that didnt need updating or fixing. It is one of those moments where the UO staff needs to know what they do, even on a minuscule level effects its players in multiple areas of the game.

I would of rather them spend 20 minutes on fixing the acc mngment site than do this any day of the week.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
They are fine. I like them better.

You'll get over it.
Makes me really sad you say that they are fine and get over it. It is not fine and I cant tell them apart. Its hurts my eyes trying to mark and find the runes and pulling the wrong books because they all look the same. After I finish the job I have. I am thinking I just might shut down my 5 accounts. I live to scribe for people and you have made it next to impossible. There is no getting it over. You Can Not See the Difference Between A Rune and A Book Much Less The Book Color..... Really Sad Your Blowing Us All Off. Plus The Devs and Who Ever Thinks This IS Fine. Its is NOT It is Not It is Not Fine In Fact I'm cancelling One of My Accounts Right NOW! I'm Not GOING To GO Blind Trying TO Tell The DIfference...PLUS How would you like all of your clothes and everything in your house some shade on dingy brown. I bet there not....

Last edited:

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The middle version was ok. It stood out more making it obviously different from a spell book but wasn't overwhelming. Now it's hard to see a loose rune in a bag of runebooks because they made the books and the runes have the same brightness of the yellow rune color.