• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

runebooks/devs

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
at the time, when locked down or whatever, you couldnt recall out of em, couldnt use a charge out of em, use the spell out of em, just a total mess that no one can figure how it got sent out live

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played so little in the last six months or so that I have yet to use one of the recipes for the atlases and make some. How do they work, then, if they don't work like runebooks? I was just under the impression that they hold a few more runes and look different on the outside. What makes them so useless in comparison to runebooks??
for classic client users they are awkward for an efficient pack arrangement (too big and bulky) i also think the colorations look "messy" and distracting, but the main reason i wouldnt use them is the size. they also face the wrong direction, adding to the awkwardness (they can be turned, but you need a house, and is just another frustration to mess with)

also for a time they just didnt work functionally, but i think thats been fixed.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure fixing far more broken things is a priority I agree, but why break not broken things in the first place? ( I just see this as a straw man excuse ).
I'm fairly indifferent personally since I only have one character, and she can't gate, so I just run/portal everywhere... but I have to echo this sentiment. They change something that no one seems to have ever had any concerns about seemingly at random, and then when people are outraged they just say "deal with it". I really don't get it.

Rune libraries are a really neat and unique feature of this game, a neat way for the community to interact, and this change really hurts them. Is this art change really so worth it?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have played so little in the last six months or so that I have yet to use one of the recipes for the atlases and make some. How do they work, then, if they don't work like runebooks? I was just under the impression that they hold a few more runes and look different on the outside. What makes them so useless in comparison to runebooks??
Because at first you couldn't recall with them if you didn't have magery... even if they had charges it wouldn't use them.... second in the EC you couldn't read the locations at all... too light.... now all those things are "fixed" ... they hold 40 runes I believe...

Anyway I like them now that I can see the locations... I cleared out the 25+ runebooks from my pack and condensed them down to 6.... totally awesome now.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I very much doubt you are "playing UO" on a 20 year old computer. You might be able to load the game and login, but you are not out doing PvP or PvM.
PVP and PVM are not the only aspects of the game.
Coming from you JC, I'm surprised you say such.

Insofar as my play style when I log in with the thinkpad - tending vendors, crafting items, decorating houses, and helping new ppl is the rule. I log onto my spiffy-Alienware box for hunting, running dungeons, grabbing arse in Yew and IDOC sitting.

*edited because there is no such thing as "play style" for me. playing UO is just that... PLAYING UO.

Last edited:

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PVP and PVM are not the only aspects of the game.
Coming from you JC, I'm surprised you say such.

Insofar as my play style when I log in with the thinkpad - tending vendors, crafting items, decorating houses, and helping new ppl is the rule. I log onto my spiffy-Alienware box for hunting, running dungeons, grabbing arse in Yew and IDOC sitting.

*edited because there is no such thing as "play style" for me. playing UO is just that... PLAYING UO.
+1 for thinkpads yaay

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
for classic client users they are awkward for an efficient pack arrangement (too big and bulky) i also think the colorations look "messy" and distracting, but the main reason i wouldnt use them is the size. they also face the wrong direction, adding to the awkwardness (they can be turned, but you need a house, and is just another frustration to mess with)

also for a time they just didnt work functionally, but i think thats been fixed.
Atlases actually don't take much more space - it seems like only a few extra pixels, though I've not actually checked. The catch is, you have to rotate them first, so they face the same as all other books/runebooks.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Atlases actually don't take much more space - it seems like only a few extra pixels, though I've not actually checked. The catch is, you have to rotate them first, so they face the same as all other books/runebooks.
Atlases are ~33% bigger than runebooks. :smile2:

Atlas.png Atlas2.png

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually a huge part of the population has returned to the 80s styles. Just because something is new does make it good or better :)
That is an attitude I find all to often among those who are so busy knowing everything that they cannot be bothered to learn anything.
You should expect that attitude when your first post I quoted was wrong. So do you see your mistake? I fixed it for you down below. I always learn something new everyday. I wouldn't be where I am and successful today in my personal and professional life.

Actually a huge part of the population has returned to the 80s styles. Just because something is new doesn't make it good or better :)

So is this another straw on the camels back?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should expect that attitude when your first post I quoted was wrong. So do you see your mistake? I fixed it for you down below. I always learn something new everyday. I wouldn't be where I am and successful today in my personal and professional life.

So is this another straw on the camels back?
Nope not seeing it :( but rarely do I see the same things really spec people see :)

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Lady Mesanna: hi Sulla
Sulla: Good Evening

Sulla: forgive me if this has been asked already
Sulla: i was wondering if you would reconsider the runebook colors
Sulla: they are very dark and hard to tell apart
Sulla: Plant stains are over ridden by the new colors

Lady Mesanna: we will talk about reverting it

DontTalkAct.png

:tongue:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will say this much about the new runebooks yes they look better when they are the only thing in your back pack and there is only one. That being said when the functional aspect is lost and replaced with better looks...... It is a net loss. I will take a ugly person that is highly functional over a perfect model that has limited function.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
From the Newsletter! Thank you!

:danceb::banana::cheerleader::heart::thumbup1::ten::troll::moo::thumbsup::love:

3. Will you revert the old runebook art?
Yes we will revert the old runebooks.
Now the question is, when they revert, will they go back to the color they were before or will all default to brown.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Now the question is, when they revert, will they go back to the color they were before or will all default to brown.
I think they'll get their old color back.

The color itself is just a thin and somewhat transparent layer of paint on the surface of the book.

They only changed the "canvas", so to speak. They made it darker and made the ankh, pages and corners undyeable, which makes the color appear darker and thus less distinguishable.

That is how I think it works, I could be wrong though. :smile2:

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the new look, but as the thread is filled with comparison pictures, I can see why it's debatable whether the change is "better".

The old books appear dull and washed out compared with the new books. But as this is a Medieval fantasy game, the old books have a more rugged and worn feel, and the upraised ankh looks as if it is stitched into the leather, rather than a completely separate (and shiny) object fastened down to it. The new look "fixes" the rugged look by giving each color its own definition, sharpening the books as if they just came newly off a shelf at Barnes & Noble, rather than some old wizard's dusty chamber.

Which would you prefer? It's a matter of personal taste, isn't it? Thus, while I approve of the improvement, I have some criticism for the way it's been implemented. I prefer when newer, better-looking versions of assets are put into circulation instead--as additions, not changes. Changes to long-standing art assets in a sandbox are often detrimental to the player experience, such as with decoration schemes and organization. It was UO and other old MMOs that taught the rest of the MMO industry this simple lesson.

The game is bathed in a rugged fantasy aesthetic, as rugged as you can go with oldschool graphics. But more recent years have begun to shower the game with sharper, cleaner art, more like you might find in mobile games. Perhaps they have a whole schedule of assets they've planned to sharpen. Could be leftover to-do jobs from the high-res art revamp which otherwise fell through. Maybe resulting from complaints about dull or washed out art, especially in the EC. Be careful what you ask for, I guess.
While I've gone back and forth about this, the devs ultimately did the right thing by weighing community feedback. However, now that they're doing this, maybe they could consider one of my earlier suggestions above (in bold orange). It's obvious that a portion of the player base is still getting punished by this majority-approved revert, which will sit no better with me if there's a solution in the middle somewhere. Even if a small part of me feels like some of the "You'll get over it" comments above might deserve a taste of their own unsympathetic attitude. :mad2:

I remember the day when City of Heroes' (rest in peace) devs got burned by that community's reaction to a costume editor update. They figured out how to incorporate reflective metallic textures onto metal costume pieces, which seemed awesome--and it was! But, after pushing the update through, hundreds of characters' costumes looked really funky and wrong because--uh oh--they hadn't been designed by players around the idea of reflective metal! Imagine going to the hardware store and buying wallpaper and spending a few days wallpapering your house...only to later find it had been altered and Customer Support's response was "You'll get over it." Well, many of CoH's players spent quite a bit of time working on their costumes. Presumably that's what the studio wanted when it spent millions developing that costume editor; so, it's a misnomer--and unsympathetic--to call it ingratitude when a player complains that all their hard work has been altered, whether it's on a costume or a house. Presumably, developers would want subscribers to feel secure in their creations.

CoH's devs actually responded by promising to provide future updates to existing costume content as optional additions, not changes, and the community was pleased. (And they stuck to that promise!)

UO decorative options are off-the-charts wonderful. And the thing is, I don't want Broadsword's takeaway from this to be that plants and things like that shouldn't receive touchups because of the reaction to the rune books. I never said I didn't like the new rune books--but to be fair, I never said I didn't like the old ones, either; especially the faded colored books, which I personally favor.

UO's community is really extraordinarily bad at expressing feedback constructively, that'll never change. But, knowing that, I hope the team at Broadsword will take the high road, see through the petty extremes, and take away the right message.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well they will catch flack about reverting.
But ya know, I have little sympathy for them, this is another case of fixing stuff that aint broke...and this team is entirely too small to just be doing busy work, sheeeesh.
They poked this hornets nest, this is a mess of their own making. There was never thread after thread of people going "OMG runebooks look just awful, wish they could be changed!!!!!!!!11
This time coulda been spent fixing turnin points to be shardwide, like gold.
Or spent assigning points to BoDs making it a turnin like system, so they would all be useful.
Or spent reprogramming BoD books to function locked down like the SoT books do.
Or if they just absolutely wanted to play with the crayons....make plants NOT be all one color...a bright red plant with green stems and leaves, etc.

But yeah, they shot their own selves in the foot on this one, they just have to take the heat either way it goes

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, whatever, but just so long as they remember:
Or if they just absolutely wanted to play with the crayons....make plants NOT be all one color...a bright red plant with green stems and leaves, etc.
Well they will catch flack about reverting.
See how I turned your words around there?

Don't ever assume that everybody is just going to fall over themselves to thank Broadsword for "fixing" the plants. I guarantee you, many houses rely on color schemes that have incorporated those so-called "broken", all-green plants.

In the span of just one post, you did exactly what you're grilling Broadsword for doing, and clean forgot what got this trouble started in the first place. But it's alright because no one gets anywhere without shooting themselves in the foot every once in a while, right?

It's all about perspective. :wink:

Edit: Now, if you meant that they should make new, additional touched-up plants, well alright then; but if the rune books are any indication, we really should be specific about additional content as opposed to altered, preexisting content after this!

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A little discussion with a cross section of active players would go a long way to preventing things like this Rune Book mess. And no they are never going to make everyone happy, the trick in business is to make more people happy than you whizz off. Sometimes you whizz a lot of people off all at once, and as in the case of Rune Books you know pretty quickly that you really messed up. The best thing to do is take a slice of the humble pie and make it right. The bigger issue here as Uriah points out is fixing something that NO ONE considered to be broken. Which would tell me if I were the boss that my employees are either very out of touch with the customer base or have way too much time on their hands.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hannes, what you missed the point on, is that there have been threads after threads and requests made in the past to make plants right. But NEVER did I see (maybe I just missed it) anyone griping about the way runebooks looked...

But anyway, I'm done with the discussion, and done with worrying about any of it. Gonna play for a bit longer, take it as it comes-be it spaceships from Asteroids or giant worms from Tremors-and just not give a damn.

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
i totally 2nd the plant thing! i refuse to use those gawd awful abortions called colored plants....they look tacky as hell.... like people wanted to do their house in home interior but all they could afford was dollar tree...all 1 color plastic plants......looks like trailer park gone wrong.........and u people who think ur houses look good with those 1 hued eye sores ...they dont, i hate to break that to ya but they look awful....

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I'll third the plants. While they're at it, I'd love a tool to let me toggle the pot off or on on all the non-growable plants. Those pots generally are terrible, and ruin otherwise good graphics.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, I'm not saying I'm a fan of them; I'd love to see a new improved version too. But I'm really not the one who's missed the point. Because the point is, congratulations, now you know what it feels like to sit in the producer's chair, and decide that you know what's best for everybody because you weren't looking past your own preferences and tastes, or the tastes of either a majority or minority of subscribers (because it really doesn't matter, when you could have made the new content optional to avoid punishing a single player with either the majority or minority's preferences after it was you who developed the so-called bad art in the first place).

So while we may coincidentally share the same opinion with regard to the plants, I don't wish to join the high and mighty club with you in suggesting that our tastes need be ram-rodded down every last subscriber's throat, because a) that would make me a hypocrite within the context of this thread I'm posting in, and b) if the plants weren't up to snuff, then any changes should have been addressed in the weeks following their release, not in the following months or especially years. That is a phenomenally bad design decision in this genre, even worse than producing the ugly plants in the first place. This isn't a single-player game, and yours and my tastes don't exist in a vacuum. As a producer, you'd have a responsibility to recognize that in a sandbox built for hundreds of thousands of people, once you've put decorative content out there for a while, it is out there, and one of the most pig-headed things you can do is decide later on that it's up to you to, essentially, to walk into hundreds or thousands of players houses without their consent and alter their furniture or wallpaper or what-have-you in order to "fix" it for them. This is a unique problem for shared multiplayer environments where the players have a hand in creating those environments. So, no, I think that it's you who's missed not just the point, but the real lesson behind this thread.

If you're that confident in your tastes, then ask for new, better-looking plants to be put into the game alongside the old ones, as additions, and watch and see how many players throw their old ones out in relief (heck, watch the old ones become valuable rares). I'm sure it will be many in this case--maybe even most--but that doesn't mean that I will ever see another player's lawn or furniture or decorative preferences as mine to "fix". If they didn't want people to decorate their homes with ugly plants, then they shouldn't have made ugly plants. Now they're in the world, and obliterating such decorations for the sake of improvement, in the case of MMO sandboxes, will almost always have the unintended consequence of eroding subscribers' confidence in the permanence of their creations.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's so irritating when things change over time. Damn UO dev team. We could still be flying a Union Jack.
The flag changed because the underlying item it represented changed. Nothing about runebooks changed to require a color change. Logic fail on your part.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haha all that time dumped into this only to revert it now. I wonder how many emails it took until she finally gave way :lol:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haha all that time dumped into this only to revert it now. I wonder how many emails it took until she finally gave way :lol:
My guess would be a lot......... Now If they would just get on with the revert so I can put my runes back in Rune Books instead of dyed bags.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just dye all your books brown with your runebook dye tub.
I happen to like the gold ankh's and accents and the pages to not be dyed... Personally I still think things that are "dipped in paint" look like crap.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why not use the Runic Atlas instead of the Runebook? I've replaced all my runebooks already
I replaced some of mine... though I find the Atlas nice in some cases... It takes a VERY long time to sort all the runes into a logical order for the Atlas.