• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOs new forums

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That account management was one example. I could have chosen others.

Point stands: She is doing low level tasks GMs should be able to do. She has to, because in the last 10 years nobody implemented a way for GMs to do it. There is little point acting like it's impossible to give employees restricted access to systems. That's how your "real world" works. For the cashier someone invented this thing called cash register. The cashier has not to call the owner for every paying customer, and at the same time he can't loot the whole business dry of his bank savings. That's restricted access for the cashier. Of course, you can also pretend there is no time to buy a cash register, since you have to handle all the transactions for the cashier.

There was this proverb in the project management course I attended when I was younger: "There's no time to stop for gas, we're already late"
You have no clue who at UO has what lvl of authority to do anything. I had a pet lost but it still showed up that he was in game taking up 3 control slots. I paged a GM and it took him a while but he found it. It was no longer visable in the game but was located in the database as being out with me, he admitted that they had read only access so it would require a DEV to get it out he paged one for me and the DEV returned my blue beetle with all its books to me. All is well. There is a HUGE amount of data that is maintained just to run UO and you honestly think that a person sitting at a phone bank in India has the authority to change a data base, now that is funny.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She may have been the only DEV at the time to do it.
I don’t give a toss if she was the only person in the universe to be able to do it. That doesn’t change the fact that she shouldn’t be doing that sort of thing for individuals when it’s not available to the masses. It’s corrupt and blatant favouritism.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don’t give a toss if she was the only person in the universe to be able to do it. That doesn’t change the fact that she shouldn’t be doing that sort of thing for individuals when it’s not available to the masses. It’s corrupt and blatant favouritism.
UMMMMMMMM
Of course not. But, as upper management, I did DELEGATE, rather than micromanage. It worked out very well for me. :) Let's face it. Running around to IDOCs, pulling items out for individuals, is probably that IF DONE AT ALL (not saying it should, but if so it should be done for everyone, not just a few) it IS something that should be delegated.

Kind of like a CEO of a company spending his time cleaning an office, rather than handling the "big picture" stuff.
Would you give a lower lvl employee access to "CHANGE" a database or would you restrict access to read only. She as a DEV may have been the only one not busy at the time to do it. Now as far as the other part of your statement I 1000% agree that if she does it for one she does it for all.
I can only assume that you missed my answer to Keith.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
you may just a little Biased bro *chuckles*
That's fair! But it was the most magical website when I first found it as a 13-year-old UO player. I followed it all through college, even when my UO account was inactive. I volunteered starting in 2009, became the president, and eventually bought and sold it. I've delved into every thread, every file, every folder, every database that survived the big crash, and I felt awe the entire time. And now I'm just a consumer again. It's been magical all the way through.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's fair! But it was the most magical website when I first found it as a 13-year-old UO player. I followed it all through college, even when my UO account was inactive. I volunteered starting in 2009, became the president, and eventually bought and sold it. I've delved into every thread, every file, every folder, every database that survived the big crash, and I felt awe the entire time. And now I'm just a consumer again. It's been magical all the way through.
it is, there is so much info and hidden gems. i would love to be able to have look through the things you have.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
it is available to the masses, you just need to ask when it is uber important to you. [email protected]

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a shame the official forums didn't go down the same route as Stratics as far as forum software choice goes.

Vanilla works for some topics, but for a gaming forum I think people expect bells and whistles

At this stage in UO's life, it seems a bit silly to spend resources on "official" forums, but hey ho, they aren't exactly known for spending money on things that UO REALLY needs.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a shame the official forums didn't go down the same route as Stratics as far as forum software choice goes.

Vanilla works for some topics, but for a gaming forum I think people expect bells and whistles

At this stage in UO's life, it seems a bit silly to spend resources on "official" forums, but hey ho, they aren't exactly known for spending money on things that UO REALLY needs.
I have no inside knowledge nor do I have anything more than speculation and hunchs but, I feel there was more to that decision than meets the eye.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Why would it cost them anything, doesn't DAoC have its own forum. They already have a web site. IMHO UO can't do anything right for some people.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no inside knowledge nor do I have anything more than speculation and hunchs but, I feel there was more to that decision than meets the eye.
I don’t suspect it’s anything sinister. More likely they just thought having an official forum would help with the EJ and it’s a tie-in in preparation for that. Folks expect an official forum with a game

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't forget that there are even things Mesanna WANTS to implement, but the ideas get the kibosh from persons outside Broadsword.

Broadsword is still just a licensee - EA is still the owner. If EA says "no", Broadsword can only make counter-proposals, not ignore the edicts.
Any examples for those "things"? I'd rather not see another useless wedding package.. :rolleyes:

I can only imagine what UO would be if Mesanna had no corrective, so I'm happy they don't let her free hand.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have no clue who at UO has what lvl of authority to do anything. I had a pet lost but it still showed up that he was in game taking up 3 control slots. I paged a GM and it took him a while but he found it. It was no longer visable in the game but was located in the database as being out with me, he admitted that they had read only access so it would require a DEV to get it out he paged one for me and the DEV returned my blue beetle with all its books to me. All is well. There is a HUGE amount of data that is maintained just to run UO and you honestly think that a person sitting at a phone bank in India has the authority to change a data base, now that is funny.
Your world is always so black and white. So put in stone. No imagination for improvement or solutions.

There is some middle ground between "read-only" and "change everything you want". But I don't see any point bringing that thought closer to you..

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why would it cost them anything, doesn't DAoC have its own forum. They already have a web site. IMHO UO can't do anything right for some people.
I doubt the moderators are volunteers, so that's costing money each month, which more than likely comes out of UO's budget.
Then there's the question of whether they're using the open source version of Vanilla, or the monthly paid for one (which does come with staff members).
It all adds up.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Any examples for those "things"? I'd rather not see another useless wedding package.. :rolleyes:

I can only imagine what UO would be if Mesanna had no corrective, so I'm happy they don't let her free hand.
I was told directly by one of the Advisors (before the advisor program was terminated) that Mesanna wanted to make one of the 3rd party clients legal, but was nixed by persons higher than the Broadsword leadership (which could only, therefore, be EA itself). And, they inferred that Broadsword had been using the "staff allowed to use 3rd party programs to test for exploits" loophole to allow BS employees to use said client in an official capacity, and that the advisor was actually using that client as they talked to me, while I fished from one of the islands next to the Dragon Turtle spawn (counts as dungeon, so I would set 20+ traps all around the island, then cast 10 times, before starting to retrieve the traps).

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt the moderators are volunteers, so that's costing money each month, which more than likely comes out of UO's budget.
Then there's the question of whether they're using the open source version of Vanilla, or the monthly paid for one (which does come with staff members).
It all adds up.
The old UO Forums were run by all employees of UO and currently we have DEVs/GMs/EMs why hire more people also they may be using people from DAoC. EA only gives X amount of money to BS to support both UO and DAoC so I don't see them spending it on Forum MODs.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

The wedding package isn't useless, it was just poorly implemented and horribly thought out.

The fact you can't dye the dress or the suit is the least of the issues with it... the cake should have been either a recipe or you should be able to purchase it separately. Paying that much for only ONE choice of cake is sad. The fact that you keep all that crap but have ZERO way to get another cake to do another wedding is even sadder... If they think you'd buy 8 to 10 wedding packages just for a cake that's insane. If it were a recipe I might think about it getting more of them for a recipe...

As someone who has actually done a few in-game weddings for other people I like the wedding package... but I refuse to buy one until they "fix" what's wrong with it.

Same with the old Rustic and Gothic packs... I bought one of each but will never buy another until they add in what's missing..... matching floor and roof tiles as well as the missing corner pieces to match the Gothic set and some doors. Until then if they think I'm paying for an incomplete tile set they have another thing coming.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I wish the full wedding package had come with that nice container that the two hats come in, you only get an ordinary container. Also you don't get that lovely veil they made for the Halloween set, you get a dress and nothing else, not even shoes,I had to make myself a hat and wear white sandals! Yet the male clothes has a hat... :mad:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lets see how the Multiboxing thread fairs.

It has pics with names and the poster is using an add on that is not legal.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The wedding package isn't useless, it was just poorly implemented and horribly thought out.
As someone who has actually done a few in-game weddings for other people I like the wedding package... but I refuse to buy one until they "fix" what's wrong with it.
Yes. I don't mean useless in a total sense. Of course there is some sales from it. They could even put a colored rock into the store and it would generate some sales. But I more mean for all the time it presumably took to put that wedding package together they could have come up with a more sought after item, like some variation of those the hotly discussed things like account age tokens, some form of shard shields or one of those other dozen things discussed in the other thread on that topic here.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You assume that the DEVs/MODs know what they are looking at and didn't the Dark Lady herself say that as long as you were attended that everything was legal with the exception of multiboxing.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Didn't last the night for sure. Shows how little respect the devs have. The guy felt like he could post his screenie without bothering to not be cheating himself.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't last the night for sure. Shows how little respect the devs have. The guy felt like he could post his screenie without bothering to not be cheating himself.
I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did,

Unfortunately very few players seem to have respect for this team for obvious reasons

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is/was it it in "general discussions? I didn't even see a title that mentioned multiboxxing. Did they delete the whole thread, or just "close" it?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the forums are screwed for me. Registered. Logged in successfully. Made a forum post just saying hi. Next time I went there it had logged me out so I hit sign in, entered username and password (yes the right ones) and it just loops me back to the main screen and the option to sign in. They’re hapless. Can’t even implement a forum that works correctly. EJ stands FA chance.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the forums are screwed for me. Registered. Logged in successfully. Made a forum post just saying hi. Next time I went there it had logged me out so I hit sign in, entered username and password (yes the right ones) and it just loops me back to the main screen and the option to sign in. They’re hapless. Can’t even implement a forum that works correctly. EJ stands FA chance.
This could be caused by so many reasons within your own control. I haven't had issues on there.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Initially you could create an account with any Mythic account. They corrected it so that you had to have an active UO account as they intended. If there is no active UO account associated with your forum account there, you can't log in. Was there an active UO account associated with your forum account?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No ACTIVE Account = NO POST/READ ONLY.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I saved the pictures to show my husband, the names of those characters show their total disregard for the rules and their contempt for other players. Personally I think that it was shocking that the whole thread was removed without any official comment on how they were going to stop the problem. Not even a 'We'll look into this...' Sad that we have got to the stage where such cheating is flaunted, those names prove it, because the cheaters know nothing will be done! :(

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
60-70 Multiboxers at every event
The whole forum is full of it. Guy with 3rd party software running calling out multiboxers by posting screenshots. Then a well known gold seller coming in and calling out names. Can't make that stuff up :thumbsup:
I actually reported that post and glad they took it down, whether right or wrong posting names and calling out other players like that shouldn't be allowed on any forum (it isn't on Stratics either). Stuff like that should always be sent privately through the proper channels, agreed we're all tired of multiboxers... but allowing people to post names like that could also open the door to others being wrongfully accused

Last edited:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I actually reported that post and glad they took it down, whether right or wrong posting names and calling out other players like that shouldn't be aloud on any forum (it isn't on Stratics either). Stuff like that should always be sent privately through the proper channels, agreed we're all tired of multiboxers... but allowing people to post names like that could also open the door to others being wrongfully accused
i hope u dont give me a warning now lol i have already enough....

@petemage what is even more fabulous that technically there is even a difference between scripting and actual boxing or simply using 3rd party and probably certain people dont know the difference

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually reported that post and glad they took it down, whether right or wrong posting names and calling out other players like that shouldn't be aloud on any forum (it isn't on Stratics either). Stuff like that should always be sent privately through the proper channels, agreed we're all tired of multiboxers... but allowing people to post names like that could also open the door to others being wrongfully accused
Why shouldn’t it be allowed? (Allowed rather than the aloud as you wrongly stated ... basic elementary English).

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've always found that when someone attacks anothers missuse of a word or grammer they tend not to have much of an argument to begin with. Just saying.
I agree with Craftsman. My non-grammar analyzing argument would be that less moderation is better than more. If someone says names it doesn't mean it's true to me. I can make adult determinations. If the moderation don't delete the threads I can also determine if the original poster is the one I can ignore.

This control over content is just overbearing and it looks odd and like a communist country.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You really think it is a good idea to post pics of players doing illegal activities? Whether the pic is real or not.

Policing should be done by professionals. That's why UO has a paging feature.
I would love to say "Post the pic IF IT IS REAL and can be verified by other player(s)." But I can't ... see below.

As for the paging feature, traditionally it has been less than worthless for the promptness of response in many instances.

Soooo, when you have a verifiable pic of a miscreant, why not send an email outlining everything and naming names to Mesanna or whomever? Keeps it out of the public eye which then prevents thread takedown and perhaps some punishment?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with Craftsman. My non-grammar analyzing argument would be that less moderation is better than more. If someone says names it doesn't mean it's true to me. I can make adult determinations. If the moderation don't delete the threads I can also determine if the original poster is the one I can ignore.

This control over content is just overbearing and it looks odd and like a communist country.
Sometimes rules have to be put in place due to some people and not because of others. It would be a massive PITA to monitor as a MOD and eventually someone will get accused of something they didn't do. That is why it shouldn't be allowed.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Soooo, when you have a verifiable pic of a miscreant, why not send an email outlining everything and naming names to Mesanna or whomever? Keeps it out of the public eye which then prevents thread takedown and perhaps some punishment?
Exactly and like they said, don't expect a reply once it is in their hands.