• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOs new forums

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can this thread be closed lol

Honestly can this be closed please it’s not being taken the way I was hoping it would be

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You seriously think I would be a good Mod since I know what threads to close.... Maybe I am the one who closed it. :eyes:
Considering what it was about I was amazed it stayed open that long. A total rant about EA on an official UO forum that UO/BS have ZERO control over.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Honestly can this be closed please it’s not being taken the way I was hoping it would be
I am not trying to be rude or anything like that but knowing Stratics and the people that post here which way did you see it going. Right now I am just reading it and will continue to do so because as a player IMHO the more places we can go for info the better, yes I will still use Stratics and yes the UO Forum needs tweaks but for the most part it is functional and really not that hard to use. UOs Wiki is much better than Stratics Wiki, what ever happened to all the old skill guides and combining them all into one lacation

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does using official forums display my UO account name in public somehow somewhere to somebody?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Both forums are pretty slow. I can skill my pets while reading both. So far this one is funner. Like you said:

I find it dreary
Gen chat is slow on LS I need some thread to pass time in. I chose yours. :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does using official forums display my UO account name in public somehow somewhere to somebody?
Not that I have found. I did make an account and said hi on Baja Shard and looked at mine and some other people that got the same name here and found very little about them. Stratics has way more info. IMHO showing the chars I have ingame with my forum name would be the most, I mean the most stupidest thing they could ever do.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not that I have found. I did make an account and said hi on Baja Shard and looked at mine and some other people that got the same name here and found very little about them. Stratics has way more info. IMHO showing the chars I have ingame with my forum name would be the most, I mean the most stupidest thing they could ever do.
They did that once with the horrible in-game email system ages ago. If you friended someone, they instantly knew who your other characters were when they logged in. It broke the 4th wall RP and privacy-wise.

If they did something like that on the official forums, they might as well just delete them instead.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why is knowing your other character names a bad thing?? WoW does the same thing. You play WoW too right Dot? I think you've mentioned it a few times. I, personally, find it very eerie finding out I've been having different conversations with the same real life person.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They did that once with the horrible in-game email system ages ago. If you friended someone, they instantly knew who your other characters were when they logged in. It broke the 4th wall RP and privacy-wise.

If they did something like that on the official forums, they might as well just delete them instead.
wow So far I cant even find a follow button

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is knowing your other character names a bad thing?? WoW does the same thing. You play WoW too right Dot? I think you've mentioned it a few times. I, personally, find it very eerie finding out I've been having different conversations with the same real life person.
I play WOW for 1 wk when it first came out and never used their forums. IMHO that is a stupid idea and that would be a lot of info for UO to display considering all the Chars 1 account could have.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tried WoW around a decade or so ago, but found that the ring they put in my nose chaffed. (i.e. I'm not that big on the "At this level, you stay HERE and wear THIS!" kind of play). However, I do know a great many current and former players who love to ramble about it incessantly. Plus, unlike Broadsword, Blizzard isn't shy about sharing information and news about their game... :eyes:

The dislike people had for everyone knowing who they played, which was, admittedly, mainly RPers, stems from wanting purer character interactions that aren't influenced by OOC drama. On the other side of the coin, it unmasked a great many players for the anonymous griefer D-bags they really were.

While I'd love to see the griefers who I know are griefers hiding behind character anonymity drug into the harsh light of day, I'm not willing to support it at the detriment of those who don't abuse it.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I play WOW for 1 wk when it first came out and never used their forums. IMHO that is a stupid idea and that would be a lot of info for UO to display considering all the Chars 1 account could have.
They do limit the amount of characters to so many per realm and so many total, but it's still a lot of characters. It's just that if you log into a character while friended, it tells your friends.

I tried WoW around a decade or so ago, but found that the ring they put in my nose chaffed. (i.e. I'm not that big on the "At this level, you stay HERE and wear THIS!" kind of play). However, I do know a great many current and former players who love to ramble about it incessantly. Plus, unlike Broadsword, Blizzard isn't shy about sharing information and news about their game... :eyes:

The dislike people had for everyone knowing who they played, which was, admittedly, mainly RPers, stems from wanting purer character interactions that aren't influenced by OOC drama. On the other side of the coin, it unmasked a great many players for the anonymous griefer D-bags they really were.

While I'd love to see the griefers who I know are griefers hiding behind character anonymity drug into the harsh light of day, I'm not willing to support it at the detriment of those who don't abuse it.
I'm not trying to convert people, but they did away with the structured leveling. You can now level pretty much wherever you want. Everything scales. But I agree with you. I just don't RP much in games.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
wow So far I cant even find a follow button
There's a star next to each thread, if you click it you'll get notifications if people post in that thread.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I keep wondering what their intentions with the new forum were. Obviously they do not have any intention to get closer in touch with the players. Developer responses are as (in-)frequent as they used to be here, and most questions are only answered by mods, which in turn as well express that they are not stating facts but rather their opinions.

Mesanna with a whopping total of 3 posts was last seen active a full two weeks ago o_O

upload_2018-3-21_11-20-18.png

Was this just to divide the community further?

I can't make any sense out of it to be honest. But from my perspective it just drove some people off of Stratics that gather there now, and left another bunch of peoples here that despise the echo chamber character there.

Anyone seeing something positive for the game in this? Or is it just some big girls pissing match we're witnessing? o.0

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mesanna is the head, she delegates. I've seen a lot of responses. They're testing patch now too.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was this just to divide the community further?o.0
I didn't know that if you used UO Forums that you were no longer able to use Stratics. Please enlighten us how having more info available to the player base divides it. You do realize that they just brought back the original UO forum that Stratics is not the first and that while UO didn't have a forum that there were other UO forums running so why didn't you complain about them?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I keep wondering what their intentions with the new forum were. Obviously they do not have any intention to get closer in touch with the players. Developer responses are as (in-)frequent as they used to be here, and most questions are only answered by mods, which in turn as well express that they are not stating facts but rather their opinions.

Mesanna with a whopping total of 3 posts was last seen active a full two weeks ago o_O

View attachment 78728

Was this just to divide the community further?

I can't make any sense out of it to be honest. But from my perspective it just drove some people off of Stratics that gather there now, and left another bunch of peoples here that despise the echo chamber character there.

Anyone seeing something positive for the game in this? Or is it just some big girls pissing match we're witnessing? o.0
I used to be a Game Sage for Aeria games forums....sort of like a go-between for the Devs and players..the Mods on the forums are similar.

Something gets posted, the devs read it and rather then taking time off of their jobs (Working on the game) they tell the mods to post...it makes total sense to me..I'd rather NOT have the team posting on the forums all the time and would rather them stay focused on the game, wouldn't you?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ROFL, if delegating=PERSONALLY saving a SELECT few's houses, or stuff in them, PERSONALLY handling emails from those she deems "worthy", and other mundane/ordinary things that for whatever reason she is unable/unwilling/afraid to let others take care of , then yes, she does delegate.
Proof of what you're saying?

She answered two of my emails when I didn't even have an account and she helped me recover. She's helped a lot of people here. I didn't see the favoritism. I think people that actually got help from her need to speak up more. Tired of seeing people bash someone that has helped me.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't know that if you used UO Forums that you were no longer able to use Stratics. Please enlighten us how having more info available to the player base divides it. You do realize that they just brought back the original UO forum that Stratics is not the first and that while UO didn't have a forum that there were other UO forums running so why didn't you complain about them?
Frodo, please stop overexaggerating what I say :D It's just an observation made by me. Subjective. It's how I see it. Feel free to disagree with all of it. But my impression is that the community only split more. Lots of known names there that you no longer see here. I think it's sad overall and not helping the game. More like a pissing match. But without a winner.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Proof of what you're saying?

She answered two of my emails when I didn't even have an account and she helped me recover. She's helped a lot of people here. I didn't see the favoritism. I think people that actually got help from her need to speak up more. Tired of seeing people bash someone that has helped me.
That's exactly what I can't understand.

No time to work towards a fix for account management ..

.. but time to personally do the job GMs should do.

Who is supposed to work on the tough issues when the boss is busy in-game recovering items for a single person? Everyone loses out on a broad scale, except for that one happy guy. Good for that guy, there are 40 more waiting in the queue. Good bye any meaningful work..

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Frodo, please stop overexaggerating what I say :D It's just an observation made by me. Subjective. It's how I see it. Feel free to disagree with all of it. But my impression is that the community only split more. Lots of known names there that you no longer see here. I think it's sad overall and not helping the game. More like a pissing match. But without a winner.
Well, it seems to me that "traffic" over "there" already seems to be slowing down. I do however see A LOT of pompom waving, among a few valid/pertinent posts.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's awesome. BUT, I think it proves my point. Would that be considered to be delegating? Or micromanaging?
Have you never worked in an office environment? She may be the only one with the data management skills to query the data. Forums don't have a special skill. Also, I emailed her directly. The question is, where's your proof of the negative things you're claiming about her?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I didn't see the favoritism
I PERSONALLY saw her spend over an hour at an IDOC, recovering soul stones and such for a person who was playing the 90 day game and miscalculated! Great for the 1 person, sure. BUT, is that really in her job description?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I PERSONALLY saw her spend over an hour at an IDOC, recovering soul stones and such for a person who was playing the 90 day game and miscalculated! Great for the 1 person, sure. BUT, is that really in her job description?
If true then that is outrageous favouritism.cant say I’m surprised though.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I used to be a Game Sage for Aeria games forums....sort of like a go-between for the Devs and players..the Mods on the forums are similar.

Something gets posted, the devs read it and rather then taking time off of their jobs (Working on the game) they tell the mods to post...it makes total sense to me..I'd rather NOT have the team posting on the forums all the time and would rather them stay focused on the game, wouldn't you?
Also remember that the DEVs use those words also because the last time a DEV said something that remotely sounded like a "FACT" and it didn't happen the good players of UO strung him up and stoned him on these forums so they no longer state anything that may be taken as a "FACT"

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ROFL, Yes actually I have. As both an employee, AND upper management.
Then I'd seriously question why you don't know that there are things you can delegate and things not worth delegating. And why you can't differentiate between favoritism and just bad time management or a misjudgment. It's a small team and there are probably silos of expertise. I'd doubt very much it's as efficient as things can be. I seriously doubt Mesanna rolls out of bed in the morning and grins evilly thinking about all the people she will ignore while favoring a few friends.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's exactly what I can't understand.

No time to work towards a fix for account management ..

.. but time to personally do the job GMs should do.

Who is supposed to work on the tough issues when the boss is busy in-game recovering items for a single person? Everyone loses out on a broad scale, except for that one happy guy. Good for that guy, there are 40 more waiting in the queue. Good bye any meaningful work..
Did you ever consider that everybody that works at UO might not have the same access as everybody else, would you give a cashier the same authority as a store owner, I think not. EA OWNS ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT not BS so how do you think Mesanna has the authority to even go into that side of EA, WOW. This is directed at all not just YOU and hell no I am no pom-pom waiver either but people sure as hell ain't using that gray matter very well or has little to no understanding about the real world.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If true then that is outrageous favouritism.cant say I’m surprised though.
She may have been the only DEV at the time to do it. I paged a GM about a lost pet and he found it for me but could not recover it because he didn't have the authority to do so but let a DEV know it so I could get it back. The DEV has to go into the database and get it. GMs should not have the authority to change the database, look yes but not change.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't call it a pissing match we're not out to compete with them, we actually like the idea of UO having official forums.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And you as an employee had the same authorization as an upper management employee, I think not.
Of course not. But, as upper management, I did DELEGATE, rather than micromanage. It worked out very well for me. :) Let's face it. Running around to IDOCs, pulling items out for individuals, is probably that IF DONE AT ALL (not saying it should, but if so it should be done for everyone, not just a few) it IS something that should be delegated.

Kind of like a CEO of a company spending his time cleaning an office, rather than handling the "big picture" stuff.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course not. But, as upper management, I did DELEGATE, rather than micromanage. It worked out very well for me. :) Let's face it. Running around to IDOCs, pulling items out for individuals, is probably that IF DONE AT ALL (not saying it should, but if so it should be done for everyone, not just a few) it IS something that should be delegated.

Kind of like a CEO of a company spending his time cleaning an office, rather than handling the "big picture" stuff.
Would you give a lower lvl employee access to "CHANGE" a database or would you restrict access to read only. She as a DEV may have been the only one not busy at the time to do it. Now as far as the other part of your statement I 1000% agree that if she does it for one she does it for all.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

You're judging her character from one instance and it's even something none of us can even verify.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you ever consider that everybody that works at UO might not have the same access as everybody else, would you give a cashier the same authority as a store owner, I think not. EA OWNS ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT not BS so how do you think Mesanna has the authority to even go into that side of EA, WOW. This is directed at all not just YOU and hell no I am no pom-pom waiver either but people sure as hell ain't using that gray matter very well or has little to no understanding about the real world.
That account management was one example. I could have chosen others.

Point stands: She is doing low level tasks GMs should be able to do. She has to, because in the last 10 years nobody implemented a way for GMs to do it. There is little point acting like it's impossible to give employees restricted access to systems. That's how your "real world" works. For the cashier someone invented this thing called cash register. The cashier has not to call the owner for every paying customer, and at the same time he can't loot the whole business dry of his bank savings. That's restricted access for the cashier. Of course, you can also pretend there is no time to buy a cash register, since you have to handle all the transactions for the cashier.

There was this proverb in the project management course I attended when I was younger: "There's no time to stop for gas, we're already late"

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it's happened more than once, how is it favoritism?
So this is a thing she does for everybody whenever they might be in need? Something we can now count on? Doubt it..

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't get it, makes no sense. They don't ahve time to post on the boards, but they do have time to either call or email a mod what to post? Why not cut out the middle man, make the post instead of an email...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't forget that there are even things Mesanna WANTS to implement, but the ideas get the kibosh from persons outside Broadsword.

Broadsword is still just a licensee - EA is still the owner. If EA says "no", Broadsword can only make counter-proposals, not ignore the edicts.

Example:
I personally wrote an article for a licensed pen/paper/dice RPG, that was supposed to be in the first issue of the game company's quarterly sourcebook. There was approximately 6-9 month lead time between the submission and that first issue. The company that actually OWNED the property that the game company licensed SAT on my article, neither approving it or rejecting it, then finally approving it, then doing the same for the art that one of the company artists did for the design. It wasn't until the FIFTH issue of the quarterly (the first of the SECOND year of publication), that my article (That was originally solicited to be one of the main articles for Issue #1) finally saw print, and the process so frustrated the game company that they announced that they would no longer accept articles for that game, because the license-granter was taking 1-2 years to do what normal license-holders do in 1-2 months.

The Game company couldn't have just "gone ahead and printed it", without jeopardizing the license. The license owners have the real power.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This thread sure exploded.

Many games have their own forums. UO chose to make their own official forum. I think this forum did a wonderful job at being the "official forum" for UO.

Stratics has the best Taming forum on the internet. If you have a question about a pet, someone will help you.

UO is getting ready for a bunch of EJ accounts to be activated and they want a helpful place for those new players. So they have an official forum now.

We can guide those new players here. Stratics has the most information about UO on the internet.

UO is a very complicated game if you are new. We can use both forums to help bring in new and returning players. That is what is a positive for the game.

There are plenty of players that will help new and returning players get adjusted to the game and Stratics is loaded with information and guides to help them have fun.

2 forums are fine. UOGuide can possibly grow also. These are positive things for all players.

We are just hoping those players will arrive.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This thread sure exploded.

Many games have their own forums. UO chose to make their own official forum. I think this forum did a wonderful job at being the "official forum" for UO.

Stratics has the best Taming forum on the internet. If you have a question about a pet, someone will help you.

UO is getting ready for a bunch of EJ accounts to be activated and they want a helpful place for those new players. So they have an official forum now.

We can guide those new players here. Stratics has the most information about UO on the internet.

UO is a very complicated game if you are new. We can use both forums to help bring in new and returning players. That is what is a positive for the game.

There are plenty of players that will help new and returning players get adjusted to the game and Stratics is loaded with information and guides to help them have fun.

2 forums are fine. UOGuide can possibly grow also. These are positive things for all players.

We are just hoping those players will arrive.
Except EJ accounts won’t be able to post there.