• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 99 Comes to TC1 & UO.com Forums!

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Right now I'm going to speak as a regular player and not a Stratics representative. Nothing I am saying is meant to throw any dirt anywhere.

Honestly, what concerns me as a player the most about the new forums is the vague blanket rules without any official word on how misbehavior there will effect your account. The TOS does not mention action against your account, but a moderator did. That's just concerning to me, especially having experience as a moderator. I can't count how many times I have seen people just lose it, and go on a rampage one day against someone/something, and then the very next day are apologetic with no more bad behavior. Everyone here is human (at least I like to think so :lick:), and we all have bad days and bad behaviors triggered by something in our lives. I would hate to see someone have one of those days and suffer the consequence of losing their actual UO accounts. That just seems unreasonable to me.

The other concerning factor is the lack of knowledge and transparency of who the mods/admins are. How much access do these people have? Are they properly vetted and paid considering they very well may have a nice little list of all our master account emails and account names? Back in the day I remember hearing about several account hackings just because someone got a hold of your email. For years I have kept all of my gaming accounts linked to an email that I have never used for anything else.

Outside of my concerns, I do think it is great to have an official forum. I hope it will help attract new people who stumble onto UO's website. If they see a community there they will be more likely to give it a try. I really wish we could get some answers regarding our security questions though, oh and a like button over there....

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The problem with power scrolls for pets, ESPECIALLY if they want EJ to bring a bunch of new/returning players to the game, is that players and pets are competing for the same scrolls. Any scrolls pets can use are now even more out of reach of lower level and newer players than they already were. Pet specific power scrolls might work better.
Your words are well spoken, grasshopper...And you are 10000% correct..Unfortunately lots of people are suffering with really packed in earwax (esp pkers and devs) so these wise words will not be listened to, or understood well..It is sad but true.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't play other games, so yes, it was an honest question.

However, since no one answered my question, I did some digging of my own and compiled a list of what looks to me like restrictions some other games place on where and what you can do. These are just SOME of the limitations on free/trial accounts in these other games, what I took to be as limitations on just how far and how rich you can get in these other games:

Note: I included the links because these games are totally new to me and I very well may have misinterpreted what I read. If the links need to go, just let me know and I'll delete them.
Runescape is the only one of those that I am familiar with and it should be noted they have F2P Servers and Members (P2P) Servers. P2P can go to any server, F2P are limited to the free servers where they are restricted to the above. Members also have access to more and much better equipment. (Was Number 2 in the RS high scores when I quit playing RS, sucked having tons of people following you every place asking for free stuff and telling you how famous you are.) So decided to just play UO as my FT game and be able to live and play as a hermit and not be on public display in a high scores.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought this is what you'd say. I thought you'd say too many people will be in the content or cheaters would abuse it. Your above post just boils down to selfishness. Just like many of the arguments people on here have. They have something and they don't want others to have it. You see "gank squads." I see more players. You see cheaters. I see the same people we already have. You want limits on real players to stop cheaters. The cheaters are already here.
No I want the honest players to have not a bunch of cheaters like you do. What am I raining down on your parade trying to stop you and your buddies from using a bunch of free accounts to control the PS market. I have played this game far to long to know that cheaters will exploit anything and everything. Have a nice day we know alls you want is a bunch of free accounts at the spawn

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reading about those other games made me start wondering about some other aspets of Endless Journey, e.g., will those accounts be able to use character transfer or advanced character tokens purchased from the store, will they be able to transfer items/gold to other characters or receive items/gold from other characters, will they be able to receive artifact/scroll drops, and like the restriction I saw for EVE Online, will you be able to log into multiple clients if you are logged into an account that is in "Endless Journey" status?
All very reasonable questions.

No I want the honest players to have not a bunch of cheaters like you do. What am I raining down on your parade trying to stop you and your buddies from using a bunch of free accounts to control the PS market. I have played this game far to long to know that cheaters will exploit anything and everything. Have a nice day we know alls you want is a bunch of free accounts at the spawn
TY for saying what I would have gotten yet another ban for.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now I'm going to speak as a regular player and not a Stratics representative. Nothing I am saying is meant to throw any dirt anywhere.

Honestly, what concerns me as a player the most about the new forums is the vague blanket rules without any official word on how misbehavior there will effect your account. The TOS does not mention action against your account, but a moderator did. That's just concerning to me, especially having experience as a moderator. I can't count how many times I have seen people just lose it, and go on a rampage one day against someone/something, and then the very next day are apologetic with no more bad behavior. Everyone here is human (at least I like to think so :lick:), and we all have bad days and bad behaviors triggered by something in our lives. I would hate to see someone have one of those days and suffer the consequence of losing their actual UO accounts. That just seems unreasonable to me.

The other concerning factor is the lack of knowledge and transparency of who the mods/admins are. How much access do these people have? Are they properly vetted and paid considering they very well may have a nice little list of all our master account emails and account names? Back in the day I remember hearing about several account hackings just because someone got a hold of your email. For years I have kept all of my gaming accounts linked to an email that I have never used for anything else.

Outside of my concerns, I do think it is great to have an official forum. I hope it will help attract new people who stumble onto UO's website. If they see a community there they will be more likely to give it a try. I really wish we could get some answers regarding our security questions though, oh and a like button over there....

I am guessing and hoping that the mods can do nothing more than remove post and cry to Mesanna, whom it seems by the one mods post gets to pick and choose whether an actual account action happens or not. Not thrilled having my actual accounts linked to anything using word press.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You caught us. We're all going to multibox the crap out of these spawns and make you pay hundreds and hundreds of millions.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yea, I do want a bunch of free accounts and players in the spawns. Isn't that what Endless Journey is for? New players?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The new forums are hideous and clunky AF. I know UO is retro and all, but do the forums really need to look like they came from the late 90's as well?

Sad.
I come from the late 80s. I love the colors.

Also why are there so many complaints about the usernames and accounts? Your account name does not show anywhere. The most i could find is an email address.

I used my old EA account I made when Pogo took over games.com.

Make a free Pogo account and use that account name if you are ascared!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can not believe they are using wordpress o.0

Google wordpress vulnerabilities.
Relax ;)

They use wordpress since the new website. The forum itself is Open Source Forum Software - Vanilla Forums which also comes with a wordpress integration.

Wordpress vulnerabilities are mostly found in 3rd party plugins, not the core wordpress itself. As long as they don't go crazy on free plugins, wordpress is totally fine.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it just me or do the seem a bit overwhelmed by all the questions?

The first couple of answers from the people that claim to be moderators there seem very uncoordinated. I doubt they got any briefing what to do and to say :gee:

Now they went totally quite, or maybe it's just not weekdays 9 to 5.

Curious if they fix any of the stuff reported in the forum suggestions there. If they follow their track record, it's just gonna sit there half broken for 5 maybe 10 years :D

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
skipped a lot of this thread (repetitive)... but so you guys know, several other game developers (*cough* Blizzard *cough*) link game account to forum account. Basically, the official UO forums look/act/feel like Blizz forums - complete with the only 1 hour to edit a post.

i can see achievements being linked/added, as well as a hook-up to myuo stuffs (character skills, etc.)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
will those accounts be able to use character transfer or advanced character tokens purchased from the store
As a company you usually want the players to spend money. Especially if they don't pay a monthly subscription. So having access to the store and being able to spend real money there makes perfect sense.

will they be able to transfer items/gold to other characters or receive items/gold from other characters, will they be able to receive artifact/scroll drops
Yes, if they want to cater the "no sub/just microtransactions"-players.

will you be able to log into multiple clients if you are logged into an account that is in "Endless Journey" status?
It is as much a problem as with multiple trial accs logging in from the same IP. Just the accounts would be labeled with "EJ" than with "trial". So there nwon't be any real difference.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Messana also already stated that dual clienting isn't against the rules... so not sure why that limitation would even be brought up.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do other games allow trial subscriptions to have unlimited access to all of the game's high-end encounters?
Nope. When I started Final Fantasy 14, I did so on a trial account right before the Stormblood xpac launch (big mistake there, I should've waited - there was MASSIVE congestion, which prevented people from doing instanced content.) You can only go to level 35 (you can do all of the level 35 quests, but you get no exp if you've capped your level), can't join a guild, can't access the market board (buying/selling items), think they have chat restrictions, and there's a popular exp grinding dungeon - on a trial account, it only lets you run the first 10 floors of it.

However, the length of the trial is "unlimited", so you can, if you so choose, level all of your jobs (with FF staples like Dragoon, White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner) to 35 before you buy the retail game.

edit: I see you found the restrictions already. I didn't see the rest of the thread.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've only had to log in once.. I hear hackers aren't up at 8 AM EST. Log in then. Hahaha.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EJ accounts need not fill up anything all they have to do is drop whatever on the ground and have the paid storage account pick it up... If they think limiting all that will stop anything they are seriously mistaken.
LOL now I wonder how long it will be before someone writes the script for auto dropping from a EJ and auto picking up on a paid.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me as well... won't see me on the new forums for the same reason.
The security risk is present whether you log in or not. The good news is there are a lot of other reasons aside from security to not spend much time there.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The good news is there are a lot of other reasons aside from security to not spend much time there.
Agreed, although it's the official forums it's also officially lacking compared to Stratics... they're using WordPress on their forum which is very basic to say the least. Some other major drawbacks is that you can only edit a post within 1 hour of posting, there's no bumping or even a "Like" button. I still wish them the very best, just feel that it's wasted resources when the game needs so much more than another soon to be dead forum :(

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fail to see what depth this forum will have vs here and the other sites(guide, etc). Without serious conversations from the dev team I cannot see what the draw will be, people will post but I don't think it will have the range of thought that you can find here.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Just read a moderator's post on the official forum stating that it's preferred that you not link from there to other forums. I wonder how long it will take for us to learn what all the "preferences" are that are not stated in that site's ToS
This IS actually in the ToS

1. No Piracy - You must not post links to illegal downloads or copyrighted material such as movies and music. This also includes copying posts from one forum to another without the consent of the original author.
So if you want to link a post from Stratics, you have to ask permission....if they still don't like it then they need to change the ToS to reflect that, but as of right now it is in the rules.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I guess I didn't interpret that the same way you did, Larisa. Posting a link to a post made in another forum is, in my opinion, NOT the same thing as "copying posts from one forum to another." The link is just the address of the post, not the actual information in the post.

In any event, if that's the way Broadsword wants to run things, they should expand the ToS to cover how to let people prove to Broadsword that they have the consent of the original author if they do want to link to something posted in another forum. If I wanted to post something here and then link to that post on the official forum, how do I do it? What's the process? Do I just tell myself that it's okay to link to my post over here? Can I cut and paste content I posted here over to the other forum or am I going to get dinged for that? Do I somehow have to prove to the whole world that I am the same person in both places? Wouldn't that be an invasion of my privacy? How far do I have to carry this lunacy?
I agree...while I see copying and linking as the same..as basically you are copying the information...whether it's as a link or as the entire content of the link, I think they'd rather have all of the information gathered there to be ~Original~ and not copied from somewhere else...which makes sense but the rules are very grey and hard to interpret as they stand now.

Maybe if Nail's hadn't of said in the thread that his auction was also on Stratics it would have been okay....(Sadly the moderator who handled that I think hit the wrong button and posted it on his wall which is visible in the activity feed on the forums) Note that they specifically said YOUR AUCTION ON STRATICS....if he had just posted his auction without mentioning Stratics I think they might have been okay with it.

(You can just go into the activity feed over there and see what I am talking about as I don't want to link or post content from there to here)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just read a moderator's post on the official forum stating that it's preferred that you not link from there to other forums. I wonder how long it will take for us to learn what all the "preferences" are that are not stated in that site's ToS. The ToS merely says you can't advertise or promote unofficial servers, can't post information about exploits sufficient for others to perform them, and can't post about cash sales of in-game items.

And how many people are going to complain on there about inconsistencies like this? You're risking the loss of your game account(s) if you do.
I'd guess it is going to take less time than it took for here...

Just to restate what I say a lot in Politics and other Video Games. It's okay to like two things that do something similar. Sports are the only thing you should be die hard fanboying over. Staying true to Stratics is just keeping yourself limited and ignorant.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never thought I'd see the day they brought back official UO forums, wow.

Kinda reminds me of the old MyUO boards, not much in the way of functionality or features, but it is fast.

Seems like a lot of "stuff" squashed into a small area on the screen though, especially with signature images and such.

Are they actually going to hire moderators for moderating those forums?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.while I see copying and linking as the same.
Legally a link to copyright material is not copying or violating the copy right in any way. It simply directs people to the copyright material. That would be like saying people that copy and paste a link to one of my websites is violating my copy rights (Which it is not) however if they copy and pasted the material on one of my sites and posted it in a forum or another site without linking to my original material or giving credit to the author/owner of that material then legally there would be a problem. What they want is no mention of Stratics, UO Guide Etc. which is fine as it is their forum but hiding behind legal and copyright infringement for posting a link or mentioning another forum is nonsense. Just call it what it is, WE DO NOT ALLOW OTHER SITES TO BE MENTIONED.

Agreed, although it's the official forums it's also officially lacking compared to Stratics... they're using WordPress on their forum which is very basic to say the least. Some other major drawbacks is that you can only edit a post within 1 hour of posting, there's no bumping or even a "Like" button. I still wish them the very best, just feel that it's wasted resources when the game needs so much more than another soon to be dead forum :(
I very much get the sense that they want to divide the Stratics Community and the *Official* Community. While I am not a fan of how Stratics has been ran and some of the staff over the last couple of years, I am loyal to Stratics as I have been here for a long long time. And some of the post on the official make some very valid points and complaints about Stratics and Some of the staff. The one attacking you there however makes statements as fact with nothing to back them up and ironically mentions stratics (Which Seems to be allowed so long as it portrays Stratics in a negative way.) Anyway the attacks on you personally there, are post that even I would remove as they are real and damaging personal attacks. Other post that mention Stratics however do as I said make valid points and clearly point out why many loathe Stratics. I would hope that the admins actually take a look at what they have done to create such a high level of animosity with so many. Stratics has in its history been the wild west of forums to the extreme Nanny State of forums, The last 18 months just looking at the sheer number of warnings and bans I have had....... YEah Stratics in the extreme Nanny State. But on the flip side allows one Mod to make personal attacks, troll and make the rules up as he goes (Said as much himself) and has probably been the single largest cause of people saying screw stratics since the troll was made a mod. What stratics has going for it more than anything at the moment is that the official forums suck and UO guide seems dead in the water. SO now would be a good time to loosen the spincter a bit, bring on some more unbiased mods and bring the stratics main site back up to speed. The main site used to be the premier place to go for any UO info........ The official wiki while informative (IF YOU CAN FIND ANYTHING) sucks because it is not use friendly and is hard to find what you are looking for, UO Guide is still better than Stratics and the Official Player Wiki even though it is way behind and out of date. I never understood why Stratics didn't build that data base and wiki.

The only reason I am on the official forum was to put a few broken things that a whole lot of people hate in their faces...... Primarily WOOD AND ORE :) With Green Thorn Timer and my Bugged Character that is still in factions. Beyond that I have no use for the official forum and the Mesanna butt kiss club. And I will continue to be loyal to Stratics until you finally perm ban or the site closes.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just read a moderator's post on the official forum stating that it's preferred that you not link from there to other forums. I wonder how long it will take for us to learn what all the "preferences" are that are not stated in that site's ToS. The ToS merely says you can't advertise or promote unofficial servers, can't post information about exploits sufficient for others to perform them, and can't post about cash sales of in-game items.

And how many people are going to complain on there about inconsistencies like this? You're risking the loss of your game account(s) if you do.
LOL I am learning real fast all of the things they prefer you not post :)

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
YEah Stratics in the extreme Nanny State. But on the flip side allows one Mod to make personal attacks, troll and make the rules up as he goes (Said as much himself) and has probably been the single largest cause of people saying screw stratics since the troll was made a mod.
As a I am pretty sure I get where you are coming from there! :devil: But yes, overall, I like Stratics better than the "Official" UO forum. I will say however, it is a REAL close race. Mainly because of how some "situations" here on Stratics were, or WEREN'T, handled.

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well.... what was said about Archnight isn't easy to prove because they delete threads. I've seen them delete multiple threads. No one is perfect... when a mod breaks the rules they don't have to go all UK style and remove all evidence of it. They can just own up to it.
The one attacking you there however makes statements as fact with nothing to back them up and ironically mentions stratics (Which Seems to be allowed so long as it portrays Stratics in a negative way.) Anyway the attacks on you personally there, are post that even I would remove as they are real and damaging personal attacks.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a I am pretty sure I get where you are coming from there! :devil: But yes, overall, I like Stratics better than the "Official" UO forum. I will say however, it is a REAL close race. Mainly because of how some "situations" here on Stratics were, or WEREN'T, handled.
What I posted was not to slam Stratics but hopefully to encourage the Admins to get their heads out of the back sides and Make Stratics Great Again lol MSGA. This team has made some real bad calls and eliminated a lot of good people from the boards over the last few years.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm gonna regret trying to post on my phone.... my apologies in advance for any errors.
I posted on the new forums directing someone looking for a house to a trade post here. My link was removed and I was told they prefer that people do not link to other forums. I did ask if it was forums only or websites, and I guess it's just forums. Personally, I guess if that it how they want it, it is there call. But I am upset about it. Not because I am some Stratics cheerleader or anything just because I work here. But because it does create a unessesary division in the community.

It gives the feel that now because there's an official forum, Stratics and anyone else over here has suddenly developed leporcy or something. Every forum has it's flaws and drama and whatnot, but Stratics has been a home to so many for over a decade. I'm not really upset about it as a staff member, I'm upset about it as a player. I feel it's just tacky and unessesary without any real reason, or even a rule against it. It also feels like they are just moderating on a whim of what whatever mod feels is innapropriate or not, or what's preferred or not. It really did upset me, and not in anyway I anticipated. And now it also makes me wonder if people can link to this wiki and other content that's not forum based....

And in the more realistic spectrum... their trade forums do not and cannot function in the way Stratics trade forums do. Hosting an auction over there would be impossible. It would make sense for people to host an auction here with a highlight link to it on the official forums... But I guess that's not an option either. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this. But the feeling of division in a already divided community is upsetting me.
Alright, off my soapbox I go... my thumbs hurt lol.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, IMO if they manage the forums as efficiently as they have managed the game...well, nm.

I'll still be here pestering stratics lol. I'm not gonna go chase the new toy. And hopefully if anything is posted over there that is useful and not empty promises, it will be linked over here by someone :D

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
To address a few points here:

The Stratics leadership has no wish to participate in forum wars and I hope this thread does not devolve to that. Official forums have their place, and fansites have ours. The opening of official forums does open some doors that we have chosen to keep shut. The leadership team has discussed at length what if any changes we wish to make, and will assuredly discuss with the community at some point soonish. We are all unpaid volunteers, most of whom work full time and/or have other obligations, so please bear with us. We also made a commitment to make decisions as a team all the way back during the campaign, and this inevitably slows the process.

As always, you may post your ideas and thoughts in the Stratics Help and Suggestions forum or email them to [email protected].

No staff is ever going to be perfect, and no staff will ever please everyone. This goes for Stratics, it goes for the official forums, and it goes for pretty much any venue that includes more than one human being expressing opinions.

As a general notice, discussing of moderator actions has LONG been against the Stratics rules. Most forums have this rule for the simple reason that if left open for discussion, little else would end up discussed as every action, no matter how minor, would degenerate into drama and recrimination. However, the discussion so far about the thread in question will be given a pass until this point because yes, it needed addressing. I was the one who moved the thread and cleaned it up, but I got busy and then I got sick and forgot to move it back. It is split into two threads now that are back in UHall--one locked and one open, and I issued an apology on behalf of Stratics in the locked thread. The matter is under internal review and is not open for public debate or discussion.

If you wish to discuss general thoughts on the direction and future of Stratics, again, please visit the Stratics Help and Suggestions forum or email [email protected]. if you have a concern about a staff member please email [email protected] with details. You will not receive a report of any action taken but your concerns will be investigated. Thank you for your cooperation and continued commitment to the UO.and Stratics communities.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL now I wonder how long it will be before someone writes the script for auto dropping from a EJ and auto picking up on a paid.
Most likely already exists. For trade from a "young" player to a paid player.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As far as I am concerned I see it like this... Someone(s) on the DEV team got a bit butt hurt over here because they can't handle the truth... And they don't much handle criticism... at all. And the PomPom wavers ..... are the new mods over there... that much is obvious. Which means those forums over there have ZERO meaning... since truth can't be handled.

And saying no one can link other forums... well that's sad since many new players will be left clueless as to true answers. Left with only 1/2 the information they will need and left with untested and unreliable information they will get frustrated and quit likely...

UO is extremely complex... having a good knowledge base is VITAL... I have never in the 18+ years I've played met any single person who knew "everything" about the game. Certainly some of us are more knowledgeable... but no one does every playstyle, every template or every possible thing in the game... after playing 18+ years without ever really leaving even I learn new things all the time...

And the official UO is built around PomPoms and idyllic principles ... which don't always work. They don't want to hear that things don't. Hence it taking 2+ years to get a 1/2 ass fix for the EC and Nova Blast... just turn off everything and then it works fine... don't fix the underlying issue with the EC... just shut off most of the graphics... don't matter that most players are playing on computers that can play other FAR more complex games just fine but can't play UO... no admittance that it's broken and actually needs fixing not swept under the rug... but whatever.

I maintain that I will never post there... never set up an account if I can help it but from the sounds of it if you don't they will do contests and things that you'll not be able to participate in if you don't... Forcing folk to deal with it. Which reminds me of FaceBook and the HUGE reasons I loathe that... forced participation in an outside the game forum... full of lies.

IF you don't face truth you are left with lies.

Yes they can have their little forum where they sweep away anything that they don't want to deal with... much like how they pretended for how long that multi-boxing wasn't what it is...

And they can pretend that the real community is the one that does nothing but suck up... whatever.

I'll remain loyal here and still speak the truth whether they want to hear it or not.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hate to point this out.... but I'm gonna :)

How quickly they wack a post relating to another forum but a guy has been dropping runes, books, and spamming chat with a rmt site and has been doing so for over a decade. Just saying.
Oh I totally agree...

Though I'll say that one guy could probably be someones full time job if they ever tried to do something about him... and the worst thing to think now is... that one guy must be making enough profit from people that he keeps doing it... think on that... someone... or many someones are buying what he's selling or he would have quit it LONG ago... so even in a mostly dead game it's still profitable enough for this guy to keep doing it...

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
In response to a FB message about me being a "turncoat" to Stratics... well... pfft. You ppl obviously don't know me very well. :mad: WTF happened to this community? It is not about "us against them" - it is about enjoying a game and sharing knowledge of said game. Regardless, that individual is "unfriended" and blocked - but I want to clear the air here before this gets out of proportion.

I do not steal content - I am a copyright fanatic and will always give credit where credit is due. I stream videos (when I have time) and I create posts where I think they will have the best impact for the community. That said, I posted my video link to the UO official forums for guess what, new players will most likely hit that FIRST before ever finding Stratics on their own. Video tutorials are the best way to explain things - and the official forums will be the place to find it quickest if the post is tagged (keyworded) well.

I lament all of the work myself and others did on the (incomplete) Stratics Player Guides that are not directly linked from these forums. Thankfully, if you know how to find them, they are still live on the interwebs; but none of us know for how long they will be there - and I hope the leadership committee of Stratics won't be trashing 20+ years of knowledge. If you are savvy enough, and actually read, you will find the links to the Stratics Player Guides (old, older, and ancient versions thereof). That said, it has always been my intent to create video tutorials for various aspects of UO - from customizing homes to dungeon runs. So for those who are "protecting the data of Stratics" - you be barking at the wrong lass. My videos are mine: my time spent on my gaming rig recording my activities in UO. When I post them, I post them where I want.

I (of all people) know intimately what is contained within the data of the "Hidden Stratics"; I only wish it was more easily accessible and reachable from these forums. The decision regarding that content is for the current leadership committee of Stratics to make - not anyone else.

Now, back to your regular blah blah regarding the Official UO Forums.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This IS actually in the ToS

1. No Piracy - You must not post links to illegal downloads or copyrighted material such as movies and music. This also includes copying posts from one forum to another without the consent of the original author.
So if you want to link a post from Stratics, you have to ask permission....if they still don't like it then they need to change the ToS to reflect that, but as of right now it is in the rules.
I think this is good.

There are PvP forums and stratics and other forums. If you link or PrtSc copy a post from one of those forums and try to place it in another forum. The privacy of the original poster should be considered. They posted on a certain forum. That post should stay on that forum.

Now when I post there I know not to link and answer to a question from this forum. I can re write it and claim the answer for myself! :hipthrust :eek:hYah

Thanks

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As far as I am concerned I see it like this... Someone(s) on the DEV team got a bit butt hurt over here because they can't handle the truth... And they don't much handle criticism... at all. And the PomPom wavers ..... are the new mods over there... that much is obvious. Which means those forums over there have ZERO meaning... since truth can't be handled.

And saying no one can link other forums... well that's sad since many new players will be left clueless as to true answers. Left with only 1/2 the information they will need and left with untested and unreliable information they will get frustrated and quit likely...

UO is extremely complex... having a good knowledge base is VITAL... I have never in the 18+ years I've played met any single person who knew "everything" about the game. Certainly some of us are more knowledgeable... but no one does every playstyle, every template or every possible thing in the game... after playing 18+ years without ever really leaving even I learn new things all the time...

And the official UO is built around PomPoms and idyllic principles ... which don't always work. They don't want to hear that things don't. Hence it taking 2+ years to get a 1/2 ass fix for the EC and Nova Blast... just turn off everything and then it works fine... don't fix the underlying issue with the EC... just shut off most of the graphics... don't matter that most players are playing on computers that can play other FAR more complex games just fine but can't play UO... no admittance that it's broken and actually needs fixing not swept under the rug... but whatever.

I maintain that I will never post there... never set up an account if I can help it but from the sounds of it if you don't they will do contests and things that you'll not be able to participate in if you don't... Forcing folk to deal with it. Which reminds me of FaceBook and the HUGE reasons I loathe that... forced participation in an outside the game forum... full of lies.

IF you don't face truth you are left with lies.

Yes they can have their little forum where they sweep away anything that they don't want to deal with... much like how they pretended for how long that multi-boxing wasn't what it is...

And they can pretend that the real community is the one that does nothing but suck up... whatever.

I'll remain loyal here and still speak the truth whether they want to hear it or not.
I wish like h**l I could like this puppy about 100 times. I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote. Thank you.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think most people knew ahead of time the new forums would be "friendly" to the team.

It's like going to a football game-the band and cheerleaders get to play uninhibited over there, while us poor General admission people, who will occasionally throw rotten fruit at the coach for making a bad play call, have to be here...

So for some of us, it's just business as usual :D

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think most people knew ahead of time the new forums would be "friendly" to the team.

It's like going to a football game-the band and cheerleaders get to play uninhibited over there, while us poor General admission people, who will occasionally throw rotten fruit at the coach for making a bad play call, have to be here...

So for some of us, it's just business as usual :D
I am actually amazed that the WOOD and ORE thread I started is still not only alive but hands down the most active thread. And I only had 2 post removed from that thread ;)

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am actually amazed that the WOOD and ORE thread I started is still not only alive but hands down the most active thread. And I only had 2 post removed from that thread ;)
Yes sir, there are lots of comments in that thread for sure. :) My thread about a pet power scroll idea was shot down by a dev right off the bat. LOL But it stayed active, with some good comments, for longer than I thought it would.

It does seem to me however that the "newness" is already wearing off the forum. It don't see nearly as much "movement" in threads as I did the 1st day or 2.