• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] An Ethereal Journey

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Im on Oceania and have waited ages for an Advisor to come on to forward that my Ethereal Voyage scroll is not working anymore. I didnt read these posts until too late and logged into my other chars account...Alas this could take ages. I havent done the T map part of it as my account doesnt have a Cartographer and just hunted the maps for a guildie. Seems the candles, pumice and obsidian is something I need so training up a T hunter...what a challenge this event is lol... If anyone of GM status can answer a call about scrolls not working on Oceania please pay a visit...thank you in advance :D
I'm not sure which team is handling Oceania these days, but in the past I've had limited luck with paging on the western shards when I wasn't getting help on Oceania or the Korean/Japanese shards. GMs are capable of following your account as you log from one shard to the other. I had to get my own scroll fixed tonight on Chessie; took the GM about 45 min to respond, but then it was fixed. Just make sure in your page to mention that the scroll's on another shard - in my case they fixed it without ever revealing; if they can't find it in your pack and you don't tell them where it's broken, they'll just be confused.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do we really get a special message when we got the staff from an sos because i did more than 30
Yes, you get a BIG message. You can't miss it. Your screen "lights up" for a split second as well, kind of like a bolt of lightning.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
.... it took me 55 SoS (18 Ancient SoS & 27 normal) before I got my:
Kalen's Apprentice Staff.jpg

Also done with 0.0 fishing on an elf character... the message you get doesn't appear in the journal either, it's a gump that pops up sadly I closed it before I could see what it said... but you can't miss it..
RNG is just horrible on this one.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I normally have the worst RL luck si I grabbed a big bag with mibs and took the quest ftom kalan. Leg Fisher , no luck. Mib no 2 gave staff. I need another so was turning it in for reward and took a new quest from Kalan. Was that not nessecery? Anyway, ! went back fishing and mib no 2 was another staff. Someone here say i dont need to turn it in , I can take a new quest anyways.. Ill try that now, the staff look so nice;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really surprised how skill based this quest line is...

Being someone with no gm tinker or gm magery, or fishing... and having only one character and RoT skill gain I'm functionally unable to get them in time, can you have other people help you with the quest or should i just not bother starting it?

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm really surprised how skill based this quest line is...

Being someone with no gm tinker or gm magery, or fishing... and having only one character and RoT skill gain I'm functionally unable to get them in time, can you have other people help you with the quest or should i just not bother starting it?
It's not a solo thing.....have a tinker friend craft the focus for you, killing the deamon....yeah you need help, I did mine solo cus I wanted to see how long it would take....3 deaths for me, 2 for my Frost Dragon and about....20 minutes? he's a mean SOB and modeled after Virtuebane.

Any fisher can accept the quest chain and fish up the staff for you so yeah, you can have other people help :)

I'm off to hopefully get more MIB's and hope it doesn't take me the whole month to get the staff lol GOOD LUCK!

Oller

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got mine with a Gargoyle with 0 (!) fishing with MIB 3. So no fishing skill needed at all.....

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not a solo thing.....have a tinker friend craft the focus for you, killing the deamon....yeah you need help, I did mine solo cus I wanted to see how long it would take....3 deaths for me, 2 for my Frost Dragon and about....20 minutes? he's a mean SOB and modeled after Virtuebane.

Any fisher can accept the quest chain and fish up the staff for you so yeah, you can have other people help :)

I'm off to hopefully get more MIB's and hope it doesn't take me the whole month to get the staff lol GOOD LUCK!
Well, that's something anyway. Hopefully I can find someone when I'm in need. :p

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
.... it took me 55 SoS (18 Ancient SoS & 27 normal) before I got my:
View attachment 71456

Also done with 0.0 fishing on an elf character... the message you get doesn't appear in the journal either, it's a gump that pops up sadly I closed it before I could see what it said... but you can't miss it..
RNG is just horrible on this one.
How can you fish up a chest with no skill? I couldn't get any success fishing SOS with 30 skill and had to switch characters for that quest

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Same..I just got the You fish for awhile but fail to catch anything like 5890246p9749 times so I gave up and got the quest on my fisherman :/

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
After Talking Vesper Text.jpg

This text was unable in-game but came out ok in a screenshot. Briain - if you need need a pic for the wiki, you can use this one.
Sherry the Mouse Quest Text.jpg

The text on this was pink in-game but screenshot is much better.

*shrugs*

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After getting the Staff of Kalen, must I talk return to Kalen? Or can I continue doing MIBs to get more Staff as long as I want?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
After getting the Staff of Kalen, must I talk return to Kalen? Or can I continue doing MIBs to get more Staff as long as I want?
Yeah you need to toggle the Staff as quest item and talk to Kalen again.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can just keep fishing them up

I have done it with out making it a quest item or going back to talk with him

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How can you fish up a chest with no skill? I couldn't get any success fishing SOS with 30 skill and had to switch characters for that quest
If you're at the location of the SoS and on the quest for Kalen's Appretice staff, you just fish with the SoS in your pack.

I noticed I was still getting the message "You fish for a while, but fail to catch anything", but despite getting that message, I was also catching "items recovered from a shipwreck" & body parts etc... the chest came up on the first attempt on I'd say about 40% of the SoS' I did though.

I was more upset by the fact it took me 55 sos' before I finally got my staff I did 59 total, cause I still had 4 left in the general area, which was in the waters north of Skara Brae.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always seem to get more MIBs when out fishing if I take a world map, lay out a wacky 25+ point course that goes all over the place, and then give it to the pilot to follow. Of course I almost always end up setting up a course that isn't perfect (e.g., tries to take me through the middle of the sea market) and yes it is annoying to keep opening the backpack over and over again from crossing server lines. But I find it less tedious than just sailing in a straight line over and over.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Confirmed you can get the quest item over and over as long as you don't turn in the quest.

2 staves same character.jpg

did 7 total SoS/Mibs since the last staff I pulled up.

RNG was just a total A-hole with my first staff...

Edit: notice the journal on the left side. you see the messages "You pull out Pillow!" & "you fish for a while, but fail to catch anything" (This is with 0.0 skill as an elf character)
I also got both of those messages at the same time after a fishing attempt if I was at the correct coords of the MiB/SoS.

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're at the location of the SoS and on the quest for Kalen's Appretice staff, you just fish with the SoS in your pack.

I noticed I was still getting the message "You fish for a while, but fail to catch anything", but despite getting that message, I was also catching "items recovered from a shipwreck" & body parts etc... the chest came up on the first attempt on I'd say about 40% of the SoS' I did though.

I was more upset by the fact it took me 55 sos' before I finally got my staff I did 59 total, cause I still had 4 left in the general area, which was in the waters north of Skara Brae.
:confused: OK, so inquiring minds got to know. You got the quest from Kalen, got message in bottle, extracted the message, went to the spot and fished up the chest with a fishing pole on an elf with no skill? That's what you're saying? Yet I tried the same thing on an elf with no skill, and then tried it some with 32 skill, and got nothing but "fail to catch anything" until I gave up after an hour. Was that just terrible luck for me on that character?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:confused: OK, so inquiring minds got to know. You got the quest from Kalen, got message in bottle, extracted the message, went to the spot and fished up the chest with a fishing pole on an elf with no skill? That's what you're saying? Yet I tried the same thing on an elf with no skill, and then tried it some with 32 skill, and got nothing but "fail to catch anything" until I gave up after an hour. Was that just terrible luck for me on that character?
Kind of, all the Mibs I was fishing up were in my davies locker already before this arc started, I only did 2 new Mib/SoS from the arc 2 maps with no luck at the staff.

Apparently there is a bug though, a guildie of mine is having issues with fishing it up, he was at the correct coords for the Mib, he had me recall to his boat and let me try it, it took 3 attempts to pull it up, so he was definitely in the right spot... not sure what causes that, he's also on the same part of the quest as I am, we've been doing the arc together for the most part.

Edit: My guildie gave me a 2nd SoS he had tried to fish up earlier, I was able to pull it up for him and we got the staff LOL would have been his first SoS he tried! (lucky **%^&#$)

So, if you reach the correct coords, and you have the "Kalen's Lament" quest and are unable to catch any items from your SoS/Mib your character may be bugged, it would be easier to determine whether or not your bugged if you attempt it without any fishing skill, so that you have as close to a 0% chance to catch anything. We are waiting on a GM to see if it's something they can fix, we are also unsure as to what caused it to happen.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you're fishing up chests, make sure the MIB is in your fisher's backpack. Sometimes I put the bunch I want to do i n the hold, sail to the first spot, start fishing, get nothing, and finally remember I need to put the MIB for that spot in the fisher's backpack.

Kabraxis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
To everyone who are experiencing issues with crafting the tinkering item from 20 quicksilver:

1. Get 20 quicksilver (you do not need more).
2. Get some tinkering BODs and bribe NPC's until you get one that is rewards you with 550 or above. (usually BOD that requires items that can be crafted with colored ore).
3. Complete the BOD return int and choose the Crafting Failure Protection Talisman for 550 points (it comes with 25 charges and bonuses to tinkering).
4. Equip the talisman and start crafting.

Crafted 2 items with ~20 charges at 23% chance.
You need at least 100 tinkering and 100 magery.
You do not need to have started any of the quests on your tinker.
With the talisman you do not lose materials when you fail, you lose 1 charge each time you fail.

Edit: A big thank you to everyone who helped solving the pentagram.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just... WHY the Staff have to rely on RNG?
WHY?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just... WHY the Staff have to rely on RNG?
WHY?
because @Kyronix thinks everything in this game has to take 16 hours to get... or it isn't worthwhile... and I believe he and the gang have investments in carpal tunnel surgeons... as they like to make everything a click fest and grind...

Last edited:

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix My character doing the Kalen quest is bugged and it wont let me fish up anything at sea. I have tried cancelling the quest and restarting it, used both high seas boat and regular boat, tried 5-6 diff SOS locations and it always says "you fail to catch anything" and no other messages. My buddy was able to come to my boat at same exact coord and fish it up immediately. Might want to look into this bug cause it may affect a lot of people. I had no issues with any other part of the quest though, so good work there.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Kyronix My character doing the Kalen quest is bugged and it wont let me fish up anything at sea. I have tried cancelling the quest and restarting it, used both high seas boat and regular boat, tried 5-6 diff SOS locations and it always says "you fail to catch anything" and no other messages. My buddy was able to come to my boat at same exact coord and fish it up immediately. Might want to look into this bug cause it may affect a lot of people. I had no issues with any other part of the quest though, so good work there.
Your buddy had no fishing skill?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure the SOS is in the top level of your backpack?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Second what Yadd is asking. Did he have fishing? Also what race are the both of you?

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you sure the SOS is in the top level of your backpack?
I tried it with SOS in my main pack and inside a bag in my pack, didn't matter. And yes Covenant fished it up for me. I also macroed fishing up to 65 on the char and still couldn't get anything.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried it with SOS in my main pack and inside a bag in my pack, didn't matter. And yes Covenant fished it up for me. I also macroed fishing up to 65 on the char and still couldn't get anything.
Try going to 65.1 and see if there is a difference.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok so I finally got the focus statue I'm not sure what to bo next

Do I go to the daemon temple and click it
Do I have to have anything else with

I tried to click the focus on my bloody pentagram at home it said nothing happen

Also how long do I have to kill this boss mob and how many times can I die before I have to do it all over again ?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The confusion to me is some seem to be saying they could fish up the quest chests even with no skill, while others are saying they could not

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If people can do it with a elf with no fishing or with JOAT, im pretty sure my char is bugged. My friend was an elf with no skill and got it immed at same spot I tried 50 times with 65 skill.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ok so I finally got the focus statue I'm not sure what to bo next

Do I go to the daemon temple and click it
Do I have to have anything else with

I tried to click the focus on my bloody pentagram at home it said nothing happen

Also how long do I have to kill this boss mob and how many times can I die before I have to do it all over again ?
I stood on the bloody pentagram on top of Daemon Temple and double clicked the "focus".. may have had to target the center of the pentagram as well.. can't remember for sure it was REALLY late lol

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I don't need the pieces or Regis there ?

Also how hard is to kill ?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Nah.. need nothing but the focus.. and it ain't a push over. I had AI Cu with me and had wife's dicso Cu as well. Took about 6 minutes or so. Had like 6300 hp's.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow ok I have a very weak GD and I'm not very skilled player lol

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
GD should be able to take it.. you may have to invis a few times when the Daemons at the Temple target ya...

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is definitely something wrong with the fishing part of the quest, 59 sos's in two days and no staff....112.8 fishing(check) Quest locked in (check) I did get something weird with a chest pull about the 30th sos in, Some bad string error code bad or missing token message when the chest came out of the water.... I would have screen shot but at that point I was barely conscious.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Took me and my Frost Dragon about 20 minutes? He died twice..I died three times...he's modeled after Virtuebane..nasty area attack and teleports to you....not TOO hard but not TOO easy :)

Screenshot_48.jpg

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There is definitely something wrong with the fishing part of the quest, 59 sos's in two days and no staff....112.8 fishing(check) Quest locked in (check) I did get something weird with a chest pull about the 30th sos in, Some bad string error code bad or missing token message when the chest came out of the water.... I would have screen shot but at that point I was barely conscious.

Might wanna take a look inside that chest..sounds like you're not patched.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have done well over a hundred sos now and got 2, traded 1 for the tinker hammer thing

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If people can do it with a elf with no fishing or with JOAT, im pretty sure my char is bugged. My friend was an elf with no skill and got it immed at same spot I tried 50 times with 65 skill.
I think the 65.0 on the uoguide page may be in error. Pulled up an old thread here on Stratics and it says 75.0 for using MIBs. ( [Fishing] - FAQ - How to Gain Fishing, Rewards & Quests! (Now with High Seas & New MIBs Data!) ) I also checked an old spreadsheet I had where I kept track of when my fisher characters were able to do certain things and it shows that I was able to fish up a chest with one character with 72.5 fishing skill.

Would be helpful if the devs could confirm what amount of fishing skill, if any, is needed to fish up chests to finish the Kalen's Lament quest.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This may sound stupid.. but *shrugs* it worked lol. Could have just been my time to get one..

I had done around 20+ or so sos's with a 120 Fisher even wearing high luck, got nothing. I had ran out of them so went to see "Helper" in Trinsic, snagged some hooks and hit the sea for some MIB's. Once I had 10 of them I went back to the docks in Vesper and opened them all standing right beside Kalen... I got the Staff on the second one I did.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might wanna take a look inside that chest..sounds like you're not patched.
I am on and off the game periodically thru out the day so I am pretty sure that was not it I got my anniversary stuff last night so I am sure I am patched... I am a fisherman from the start so I have a bank box that resembles an sos, at least for the stuff that stacks...LOL It acted like it was about to give me the drop but did not...*sigh*

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So we can't do the quest again ?