• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just sitting here hitting F5 waiting for a link to a live feed...

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I for one will be running my account to EJ.
?Couldn't careless about the events, vet rewards and the such like.

They should of done this years ago.

Hopefully it will inject some much needed life back , I don't expect a massive flood of players anything is better then now.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a really good way to handle it. You got 3 months to pay before it falls. In the mean time you don't get to use what your not paying for
Well that's good anyway. I thought you mean that if you aren't paying your house decays no matter what you do. I don't do the 90 day thing to give myself an extra house, I do it because I tend to only play a few weeks to a month or two at a time, and I don't want to lose all my stuff, but being poor, I'd rather not spend the money. I'd probably have to quit if houses went poof when you were inactive. Maybe that's what's best for the game, I don't know, but I just don't play enough to justify paying for it year round.

I wish they just had a 3 dollar keep my account alive fee, so I wouldn't have to mess with it. :(

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted in the Storage Wars thread, but this might get me a more solid answer.

Can someone clarify that folks who have paid for an account, that quit... will lose their banked items? Is that actually a definite with rollout date?

I'm actually in the process of quitting. I'm selling off the shop backstock, the house and closing my 20 yr old account. If my banked stuff won't be there if I ever decide to play again, I may as well get rid of it too.

To be honest, if this is really what will happen, I don't ever see myself returning. Anyone who has left and banked their memories expecting them to be there... and they aren't? I bet they don't stick around either.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When we all do this the game folds up.
Well, that's clearly not true (since that's basically how it currently is) and doesn't even make sense. Ethics aside, If everyone were doing it, everyone would be paying for more than the account they activly use.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once again this just shows the sort of "management" we have in UO.
Yes, there is a party going on and they get to have the Q&A session live.
The "going forward" should absolutly NOT have been solely for those able to attend the party and shaft everyone else.
The things being thrown around on forums now and ingame could have been easily delbt with in a single post put up on UO.com when they sat down at the party or even afterwards.
As it stands we have rumour and speculation, rants and threats flying all over as people are discussing things we don't know anything about yet.

UO has certainly taken the "Animal Farm" motto to heart.
"Everyone is equal but some are more equal than others".

Bad management indeed when they put a priveliged few before the masses, by all means, have your party and give out freebies and rub our noses in the fact for some it would have cost over $4k to attend.
The important info should have been given to EVERYONE at the same time though, not just those that have just paid for Mesannas next Vacation....
I suppose this is what we have come to expect though right?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They been late on the castle tool. They just said they are going to fix the EC and now this big pile of changes?

Feels like "Endless journey" is the code for talking about their development backlog o_O

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ - - It is one of the ultimate tragedies of UO. Somehow, utterly incredibly when you think of it, this game would still have a VERY vibrant community. Great deal of people still play the game. Nothing crazy. Not millions or anything. But tens of thousands not far from becoming six digits? Maybe. Enough for UO to be easily considered a lively MMO? Certainly. It's just that the player base is hopelessly scattered all over the place. Together we'd be stronger. Like half of the people tour illegal 3rd party pirate shards. The other half playing on BS servers has far too many shards to pick from. Even most successful MMOs out there have had to merge shards at times. If we had two servers in U.S, one server in EU and one in Japan (cause apparently you just NEED to have servers in Japan where nobody plays Western video games, MMOs or PC games at all..) UO would suddenly be full of life..
But due to housing, this can prolly never happen. We are maybe 20k people playing on shard set up build to support 400k or something.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ - - It is one of the ultimate tragedies of UO. Somehow, utterly incredibly when you think of it, this game would still have a VERY vibrant community. Great deal of people still play the game. Nothing crazy. Not millions or anything. But tens of thousands not far from becoming six digits? Maybe. Enough for UO to be easily considered a lively MMO? Certainly. It's just that the player base is hopelessly scattered all over the place. Together we'd be stronger. Like half of the people tour illegal 3rd party pirate shards. The other half playing on BS servers has far too many shards to pick from. Even most successful MMOs out there have had to merge shards at times. If we had two servers in U.S, one server in EU and one in Japan (cause apparently you just NEED to have servers in Japan where nobody plays Western video games, MMOs or PC games at all..) UO would suddenly be full of life..
But due to housing, this can prolly never happen. We are maybe 20k people playing on shard set up build to support 400k or something.
Absolutely true apart from the 20k people. More like 5k

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You have to ask yourself though if the subscription cost is the main reason that some people choose to play on those 'other' shards, 10 years ago pretty much all MMO's had a subscription. Nowadays there are more and more games that are free-to-play to some extent, even quite a few that started with a subscription and then changed to a free model! With so many other games to try for free a lot of people don't stay past the free trial.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to ask yourself though if the subscription cost is the main reason that some people choose to play on those 'other' shards, 10 years ago pretty much all MMO's had a subscription. Nowadays there are more and more games that are free-to-play to some extent, even quite a few that started with a subscription and then changed to a free model! With so many other games to try for free a lot of people don't stay past the free trial.
I don't believe that subscription cost is the main reason. The rule set is the main reason which is why most of the popular freeshards have an old school rule set in one form or another. It's also why games like Albion are packed with ex-UO players. After that the most prevalent reason I hear is EAs lack of rule enforcement and the condoning of botting, multiboxing, hacking, duping and scamming. People will pay the subscription if they think the game is worth playing. Unfortunately the vast majority of UOs ex-players don't think the current rule set and enforcement of cheating is worth the monthly fee.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[QUOTE="Flagg, post: 2878476, member: 164409]...cause apparently you just NEED to have servers in Japan where nobody plays Western video games, MMOs or PC games at all....[/QUOTE]

One of the things Mesanna stated was that the American and Asian shards have about the same amount of subscribers, with European shards a distant third.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted in the Storage Wars thread, but this might get me a more solid answer.

Can someone clarify that folks who have paid for an account, that quit... will lose their banked items? Is that actually a definite with rollout date?

I'm actually in the process of quitting. I'm selling off the shop backstock, the house and closing my 20 yr old account. If my banked stuff won't be there if I ever decide to play again, I may as well get rid of it too.

To be honest, if this is really what will happen, I don't ever see myself returning. Anyone who has left and banked their memories expecting them to be there... and they aren't? I bet they don't stick around either.
Read through the storage wars thread again, EJ bank box seems to be something completely separate and our current bank box seems inaccessible when unpaid and will stay untouched:

No, this is for a new storage type, not Banks. It would be shared among your character slots i think? Hopefully it's in the video we are recording

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the things Mesanna stated was that the American and Asian shards have about the same amount of subscribers, with European shards a distant third.
That sounds..incredible. oO I never see anyone on Asian shards when visiting. Maybe it's the difference in time zones.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't really say how all the EJ will work out but is there a way to identify the ftp Chars in game so we can Shun the non believers.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarcasm is my morning philosophy I dont own a bunch of disney's grumpy **** from gifts from my family for nothing :]

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once again this just shows the sort of "management" we have in UO.
Yes, there is a party going on and they get to have the Q&A session live.
The "going forward" should absolutly NOT have been solely for those able to attend the party and shaft everyone else.
The things being thrown around on forums now and ingame could have been easily delbt with in a single post put up on UO.com when they sat down at the party or even afterwards.
As it stands we have rumour and speculation, rants and threats flying all over as people are discussing things we don't know anything about yet.

UO has certainly taken the "Animal Farm" motto to heart.
"Everyone is equal but some are more equal than others".

Bad management indeed when they put a priveliged few before the masses, by all means, have your party and give out freebies and rub our noses in the fact for some it would have cost over $4k to attend.
The important info should have been given to EVERYONE at the same time though, not just those that have just paid for Mesannas next Vacation....
I suppose this is what we have come to expect though right?
:violin:

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
I am just worried about the whole thing!
When we have something new in the game, something else goes bad... (We talking about 1 or 2 changes, that break another thing)
Now imagine that EJ will be a huge change on so many different ways, I cant stop imagine what kind on consequence we will have...
We can also assume that with the EJ, We will finally have a new Acc. Mgmt system??

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They did talk about account management. They want to make a few changes, like being able to add and remove accounts from each master account, but Mesanna called it "spaghetti" code. Right now a re-vamp is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They did talk about account management. They want to make a few changes, like being able to add and remove accounts from each master account, but Mesanna called it "spaghetti" code. Right now a re-vamp is not likely to happen anytime soon.
So... we are going to add a major change with EJ but are going to do nothing about the account management system... thats a bit silly.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't believe that subscription cost is the main reason. The rule set is the main reason which is why most of the popular freeshards have an old school rule set in one form or another. It's also why games like Albion are packed with ex-UO players. After that the most prevalent reason I hear is EAs lack of rule enforcement and the condoning of botting, multiboxing, hacking, duping and scamming. People will pay the subscription if they think the game is worth playing. Unfortunately the vast majority of UOs ex-players don't think the current rule set and enforcement of cheating is worth the monthly fee.
I hear ya! If I could go back to before AoS I don't think I would hesitate. I really hated where the game went from that point on! :(

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So... we are going to add a major change with EJ but are going to do nothing about the account management system... thats a bit silly.
Something was mentioned about the account management system but i don't want to comment on it since I've slept since then. I'll get them full speech up on YouTube when i can. Message Riyana if you don't see it by Tuesday.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The 30 day code/90 days to save/fall a week later pattern is COMPLETELY UNCHANGED.
As long as an account has a house and is unpaid, it can't log in
Thanks for your post.
This sounds like a change to me.
Under the present system, you can continue to use the house after the house expires, through the 90 days until it goes IDOC, and then you can't log in.
Under the new system, it sounds like you would be locked out as soon as the account expires, even though the house won't go IDOC for 90 days.
Is this how you understand it? That would be a big practical change if that's the case

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for your post.
This sounds like a change to me.
Under the present system, you can continue to use the house after the house expires, through the 90 days until it goes IDOC, and then you can't log in.
Under the new system, it sounds like you would be locked out as soon as the account expires, even though the house won't go IDOC for 90 days.
Is this how you understand it? That would be a big practical change if that's the case
I think that you cant login with your account to take advantage of the EJ system until your house falls after 90 days. If you dont have a house you are automatically entered into the EJ program.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
But will we still be able to log into an expired account until the house goes IDOC in 90 days?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But will we still be able to log into an expired account until the house goes IDOC in 90 days?
Doesnt sound like it. Unless of course you add gametime. After it goes idoc you should be enrolled into the endless journey program

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's a game changer. If you let your account expire before you clean out your house, you've lost all your stuff unless you pay another $15 to retrieve it - isn't that about it?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, I don't mean that all - See Post #158 - the house just wouldn't have been there at all, and BS wouldn't have gotten my $5 a month

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, but you can resubscribe within the 90 days just like now. That aspect isn't changing at the moment.
I see, so for those who simply store stuff in houses, life goes on as normal. For those who pay $5 a month ($15 every 90 days) for a house to play on another shard once a week or so, that option will no longer be available, if I understand this right

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right there with ya, your understanding is just fine. Though I am half expecting someone to say hahah fake news gottcha!

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just worried about the whole thing!
When we have something new in the game, something else goes bad... (We talking about 1 or 2 changes, that break another thing)
Now imagine that EJ will be a huge change on so many different ways, I cant stop imagine what kind on consequence we will have...
We can also assume that with the EJ, We will finally have a new Acc. Mgmt system??
Its worth the risk, without some risk uo will cease to exist in the near future. Subscriptions are a thing of the past and Mesanna/BS know this, its time for a drastic change. I think this is a great change for the game and hopefully it will draw in old and new players. I really wish UO could get onto steam, that would provide a great platform for UO to advertise and pull in new players.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see, so for those who simply store stuff in houses, life goes on as normal. For those who pay $5 a month ($15 every 90 days) for a house to play on another shard once a week or so, that option will no longer be available, if I understand this right
I dont believe that is correct. Only the characters on the account that owns the account cant access it. Co owners still can as far as im aware.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The way it is right now, all houses on an account start a 3 month timer of decay the moment the account fails to renew its subscription. No character on that account can log in to do anything until that account is subbed. The house is still there until it runs out of time (unless the account is reactivated), and it may be used as usual by an active account that has characters that has been granted access to it. There was no indication that any of this is changing. In fact, it was clearly stated that fiddling with the housing decay system was being avoided, at least for now.

The 90 day delay between cancelling a sub and logging in as an Endless Journey account is to prevent players from not subbing AND having full access to their own house/bank. What was not clearly stated (at least not clearly to me) was if one deliberately dropped their house before unsubscribing, if they still had to wait 90 days before they log back in without subbing.

In any case, I'm sure there will be more official information soon and I will hold off on speculation until then.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
re, # of accounts: no1 knows how many accounts there are 'cept devs. they ain't talkin'. rest of us r just making stuff up. don't link 2 that site with the chart, 'cos i haven't seen them cite a source in years. used 2b from press releases. now from imagination.

re, shard consolidations: no 1 wanting that experienced lag & complaints about over-crowding i guess. easy 2 praise something u never experienced. i did, however. it sukked. bad. u have an option 2 move shards. use it. lol