• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just sitting here hitting F5 waiting for a link to a live feed...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I am mostly fine with the change, but give me 7, 15 or 30 days to fix the issue.
I use gametime codes, and I renew them as soon as I get the e-mail telling me that my gametime expired.
If I can't renew to keep my houses right after that, I will surely move on.
From what they're saying your house won't fall for 90 days. Where some have gotten upset is currently you can use the house for the 90 days it's unpaid for. There's your scam and the problem. People are using the current system to get a free house/storage and access to it for 9 months out of the year. The only big change as it's been stated is that you won't be able to use an unpaid for house. I'm totally good with that :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
They do need to find some sort of fix for this, just last month I got an email telling me my account was now I active due to declined credit card. At first I thought my card number had been stolen scared me, so Iogged in and found I just needed to re-add the security code not why on on,y one account that happened but it did. So this is something that needs addressed. What if a card expires and you forget to renew the information for a week ?
They're saying your house won't drop for 90 days. You got 90 days. You just won't be able to use the house with another account until you pay up.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
From what they're saying your house won't fall for 90 days. Where some have gotten upset is currently you can use the house for the 90 days it's unpaid for. There's your scam and the problem. People are using the current system to get a free house/storage and access to it for 9 months out of the year. The only big change as it's been stated is that you won't be able to use an unpaid for house. I'm totally good with that :)
I am good with not being able to use the house while the account is unpaid for. And if it only falls after 90 days and I can recover it at any time during that time frame by getting more time code, I am perfectly fine with it!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure if this is true. But, I think it is fair to close the house. I guess friends cant access or co-owners?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If I were the decision maker I would make it to where the house is not accessible unless the monthly fee is paid.. and if it went unpaid for 30-45 days it starts decay.... but *shrugs*.. I ain't that guy lol

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’m fine with that if you lag in paying for say a month and want to reactive an account you have to pay for both months.
Like insurance on cars etc. you still have to pay for it even if you cant use it. I’m definitely okay with that. Keeping the 90 day safety net on houses is a good thing, sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you need time to catch up.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love it. I've been complaining about this forever. You want the house? Pay for it every month like everyone else. I imagine some sweet spots will start opening up for the people that pay every month and keep the lights on at UO.
And all of those house spots were already "open" when we placed them... so sorry. Nothing great about the spots, except for memories and what we made of it. Broadsword tried to do a switch and hook to get more money... and it is going to fail on them, I can promise you.

If it's true, it's most certainly not the right way to handle it. (I'm pretty sure it can't be true though, especially the bit about being locked-out as soon as your account expires (LOL)).

If they cared much about it, they would shorten the time it takes between your account's expiration & when your house(s) begin to decay, even if it were set to 30 days, there would still be people abusing the system, but they'd need to be paid every other month, instead of every 3 months. That would be how it should go, if they were trying to prevent/reduce abuse of the system.
I think everyone misunderstands a few of the gold-sellers mentalities actually bro. There are a lot of ways to "get rich" in the world we live.

Yeah sure lol. Free shards are the deadest places on the planet lol I understand your bummed about this and that part doesn't bring me any joy. But EA/BS fixing this exploit will make me happy as a clam. I have 3 full time accounts and 2 of them are mainly just for housing/storage. My castle, my Luna vendors and my museum. What if I and everyone else decided to be "smart" like you? How do we keep the lights on with EA/BS making a 1/3 or a 1/4 of what they make now? It's an exploit and long over due to be addressed. I was all over this issue about a year ago and was told they were working on a way to address it. It's been so long I gave up hope. But if this is true I couldn't be happier. I could easily play the pay for one get 3 free game with 2 of my accounts but I'm not made that way. I pay for what I have. Monthly. Why you couldn't just log into account management and use your credit card every 3 months is beyond me. Or even use a visa gift card. But then there's that pesky problem of not being able to use what your not paying for. I got no sympathy for ya. Sorry.
It is what it is, don't be ashamed or "sorry." You have your feelings and other people have theirs. To each their own... but trust me, half the players are going to say what I'm saying, I do promise. Anybody with any intelligence would see that it's a bait and hook. Instead of moving to 3-4 houses per account to fill up the dead and empty shards... they pull a "bait and switch" to bring in more money. You don't think that's not going to rub people wrong? I won't feel sorry when this game closes down, I can promise you. Most of the people left are very sad at heart. "No money.... Arrrgh... NO HOUSE.... I don't feel sorry for you at all.... Pay to Play!" It's starting to sound like politics in UO...

Trust me, I could put it on my credit card right now... but I'm not supporting "Broadsword." Broadsword allowing multi-boxing of "legendary item harvesting" (That's why they made the drop system! Great input from some of the Devs somewhere!), allowing Idoc people with super scripts runnings to take every item from every chest before anyone even clicks to open the chests (You don't even see the items when the house falls, the scripts are too good, trust me, I promise.), destroying the phoenix, destroying blacksmithing, destroying tailoring, and everything else they've destroyed. I just liked decorating and being a "rares collector" in my old favorite game of UO. It's made me feel good these past 9-10 years and brought me tons of memories getting 87 of the blackrock boxes and collecting my cat's whispering rose names... but hey, whatever. To each their own!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah sure lol. Free shards are the deadest places on the planet lol I understand your bummed about this and that part doesn't bring me any joy. But EA/BS fixing this exploit will make me happy as a clam. I have 3 full time accounts and 2 of them are mainly just for housing/storage. My castle, my Luna vendors and my museum. What if I and everyone else decided to be "smart" like you? How do we keep the lights on with EA/BS making a 1/3 or a 1/4 of what they make now? It's an exploit and long over due to be addressed. I was all over this issue about a year ago and was told they were working on a way to address it. It's been so long I gave up hope. But if this is true I couldn't be happier. I could easily play the pay for one get 3 free game with 2 of my accounts but I'm not made that way. I pay for what I have. Monthly. Why you couldn't just log into account management and use your credit card every 3 months is beyond me. Or even use a visa gift card. But then there's that pesky problem of not being able to use what your not paying for. I got no sympathy for ya. Sorry.
I've said this before, but I'm saying it again because I'm tire of being called unethical. I have houses on Atlantic and on Pacific that I auto pay by credit card. amounting to $12 a month. I pay full price for those houses because I use them a lot and it's worth it to maintain them. I also play on other shards. I have a house on Cats that I use only occasionally for crafting and armor and such. I pay for that house $15 every 90 days. That's all that house is worth to me - $15 every 3 months. If that's no longer an option, I won't renew that account and BS gets nothing from me there. So please drop the ethics lectures. This is a matter of simple market worth. Thank you.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I’m fine with that if you lag in paying for say a month and want to reactive an account you have to pay for both months.
Good thought, but with the current account management situation that does give me a slight concern lol. I would say after they improve the account management deal then maybe roll that out...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
And all of those house spots were already "open" when we placed them... so sorry. Nothing great about the spots, except for memories and what we made of it. Broadsword tried to do a switch and hook to get more money... and it is going to fail on them, I can promise you.

I think everyone misunderstands a few of the gold-sellers mentalities actually bro. There are a lot of ways to "get rich" in the world we live.

It is what it is, don't be ashamed or "sorry." You have your feelings and other people have theirs. To each their own... but trust me, half the players are going to say what I'm saying, I do promise. Anybody with any intelligence would see that it's a bait and hook. Instead of moving to 3-4 houses per account to fill up the dead and empty shards... they pull a "bait and switch" to bring in more money. You don't think that's not going to rub people wrong? I won't feel sorry when this game closes down, I can promise you. Most of the people left are very sad at heart. "No money.... Arrrgh... NO HOUSE.... I don't feel sorry for you at all.... Pay to Play!" It's starting to sound like politics in UO...

Trust me, I could put it on my credit card right now... but I'm not supporting "Broadsword." Broadsword allowing multi-boxing of "legendary item harvesting" (That's why they made the drop system! Great input from some of the Devs somewhere!), allowing Idoc people with super scripts runnings to take every item from every chest before anyone even clicks to open the chests (You don't even see the items when the house falls, the scripts are too good, trust me, I promise.), destroying the phoenix, destroying blacksmithing, destroying tailoring, and everything else they've destroyed. I just liked decorating and being a "rares collector" in my old favorite game of UO. It's made me feel good these past 9-10 years and brought me tons of memories getting 87 of the blackrock boxes and collecting my cat's whispering rose names... but hey, whatever. To each their own!
Your right... I'm not sorry. Pay for what you have. It's a good lesson in life :) I don't know if EA will make money off this, but it will finally be fair. I'm super sure they won't lose money. I very proud of Mesanna if she sticks to her guns on this. Wrong is wrong. It's clearly gotten out of hand or they would ignore it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I've said this before, but I'm saying it again because I'm tire of being called unethical. I have houses on Atlantic and on Pacific that I auto pay by credit card. amounting to $12 a month. I pay full price for those houses because I use them a lot and it's worth it to maintain them. I also play on other shards. I have a house on Cats that I use only occasionally for crafting and armor and such. I pay for that house $15 every 90 days. That's all that house is worth to me - $15 every 3 months. If that's no longer an option, I won't renew that account and BS gets nothing from me there. So please drop the ethics lectures. This is a matter of simple market worth. Thank you.
It's a scam. You can't just give someone a grand for a car and drive off with it when the guy wants 4 grand just because it's not worth 4 grand to you lol. I consider it highly unethical. And it's 15 dollars every 4 months ;) When we all do this the game folds up. I'd rather have the game up and running over your buy one get 3 free plan. It's clearly gotten to the point it's outta hand. Virginia has a party going but it sounds like the housing free ride party is over. I don't want to get too excited over this "rumor" but I'll be extremely happy if it happens. Looooong over due.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
when are the new items going to be in game ?

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your right... I'm not sorry. Pay for what you have. It's a good lesson in life :) I don't know if EA will make money off this, but it will finally be fair. I'm super sure they won't lose money. I very proud of Mesanna if she sticks to her guns on this. Wrong is wrong. It's clearly gotten out of hand or they would ignore it.
Well... how about this... some people have "castles" that they paid no telling how much for. Some people wanted a 12x13 in an empty spot to bring "community" to a certain area by stocking vendors and making the best themed house in the area to enhance the game. Some people do the same thing with 7x7 libraries and other things... Some people just log in, go to their castle, go play their game... and contribute nothing to Ultima.

So who's you to say what anyone "pays" for anything? No offense... but that remark comes off as very snobby and ill thought. Like the other guy said above... some houses are only worth $30 for every 90 days. Take the money or leave it... if it's all about money, right? Hmmm.... when we start talking money though.... time for this cat to bounce... not "pounce."

Making friend wherever I go ;) Right is right, wrong is wrong.
You're not right... you just think everyone "should pay" More Money for any house in the game. It's your idea... and that is all there is to it. By that same token, you also inherently think a lot of other things like: "Every 7x7 spot in the game should be now open forever... give me room for their castles, keeps, and prim location 18x18s!!!!" But in reality... yea... I'll leave it there.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
View attachment 72294

The motley fools, photobombed by Queen Mesanna.

The jester on the right is Shandara of GL, winner of the costume contest. Congrats!
Aww 2 Jesters! TOO CUTE!

Love the costume Shandara, very well done! Love the talisman too, very nice touch!

Thanks Dot for sharing!!

Need more pictures! :)

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What does that have to do with what I said?

I never mentioned people getting rich, or people selling gold. nor do I care if people do it... as long as it's "legal".

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
some houses are only worth $30 for every 90 days. Take the money or leave it.
Precisely - whatever - but I don't want to talk about it any more because I'm really reading this thread to get news from anniversary party - so thank you to all you have been posting updates :thumbsup:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well... how about this... some people have "castles" that they paid no telling how much for. Some people wanted a 12x13 in an empty spot to bring "community" to a certain area by stocking vendors and making the best themed house in the area to enhance the game. Some people do the same thing with 7x7 libraries and other things... Some people just log in, go to their castle, go play their game... and contribute nothing to Ultima.

So who's you to say what anyone "pays" for anything? No offense... but that remark comes off as very snobby and ill thought. Like the other guy said above... some houses are only worth $30 for every 90 days. Take the money or leave it... if it's all about money, right? Hmmm.... when we start talking money though.... time for this cat to bounce... not "pounce."

You're not right... you just think everyone "should pay" More Money for any house in the game. It's your idea... and that is all there is to it. By that same token, you also inherently think a lot of other things like: "Every 7x7 spot in the game should be now open forever... give me room for their castles, keeps, and prim location 18x18s!!!!" But in reality... yea... I'll leave it there.
I'm not going to continue arguing against this nonsense. If it's worth it to you pay every month like we all do. If it's not worth it to you take a hike. Don't try and tell me people are "civic minded" or some bull because they are ripping off the players, including EA, by us full time palyers having to pay more to keep the game going. Maybe if everyone payed their fair share the price could come down for *everybody*? :) No one should pay more for anything. But they should pay what everyone else does. Look you guys got a free ride off the backs of enlisted men and women who were overseas at the time. That's how this whole mess started. So men and women overseas didn't lose their house while fighting for our freedoms. Sounds like the free ride is over. No one is losing a house, they're not getting access to something they're deciding not to pay for. Bravo. Nobody believes dumping a bunch of people barely paying anything now is going to have any effect on the game. For every 4 that drop we only need one legit full time player to decide he's not giving up his house and storage and will do the right thing and actually pay for what they're using. I don't see any problem here.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
99% of all housing spots in uo arn't even worth 12.99! Honestly, pay for it or drop it... should have been this way since day 1. I don't even have a house, I got pots in my bank and I am good to go.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No house, boat, gifts, Veteran Rewards, EM rewards. Otherwise the account can do everything.
Very glad this is the approach they chose! This way, it is actually worth a try for many an old vet I bet! Good decision for sure!! Looking forward to what this means for the game. Would have been cool to get it out by 20th. :D

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's going to happen to rented vendors and their contents at houses where the account closes because the subscription ends for that account?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If accounts that end their subscription fee become unusable, that's going to put a real dent in people sharing space with guildmates because you will have no way of knowing when/if you might all of a sudden not be able to get to your stuff from a guildmate's house.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It will a adjustment period for some but over the years will have all been adjusting to changes nothing new.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will a adjustment period for some but over the years will have all been adjusting to changes nothing new.
Yeah, it'll probably make it much more difficult for people to be able to play on multiple shards. Wonder how much of an impact that change will have over time, especially for people who PvP on multiple shards and have red characters.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, it'll probably make it much more difficult for people to be able to play on multiple shards. Wonder how much of an impact that change will have over time, especially for people who PvP on multiple shards and have red characters.
It won't matter until UO attracts many more players.... people saying housing isn't worth paying monthly for may be right depending on shard.. but if there's ever a sizeable influx of newer players land for housing would be taken up pretty quickly which would then cause housing to be worth more...

We'll see if any of that happens.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly idk but they need to bring back tents lol that would help ...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It won't matter until UO attracts many more players.... people saying housing isn't worth paying monthly for may be right depending on shard.. but if there's ever a sizeable influx of newer players land for housing would be taken up pretty quickly which would then cause housing to be worth more...

We'll see if any of that happens.
Yeah, we'll see if Endless Journey causes a lot of new subscriptions, or at least enough to offset the ones lost with new changes.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It’s a risk they feel is going to pan out.
If 66% of them quit paying there $30 a year and the other 33% start paying the full price $120 it’s a wash.
I’m betting more have items in those houses that they feel are worth keeping them active.

Of course I didn’t run the numbers I just said this on a whim but you get the jest of it.

Also add in if A BIG IF new players or old return then mathematically it works out and they put an end to the account management exploits.

Don’t quote me on this it’s late and a Friday night lol

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wanna know a really interesting thing about the numerous "Open every third month" - house holder accounts of people? Yeah, they are mostly used for the stated purpose of house holding.

Let's make a super far fetched example out of a guy, let's call him Flagg, who is a very active UO player with total of four accounts and four houses. Two of those accounts he considers extremely important - they have the soulstones and characters in varied stages on a long journey towards fully trained templates. These accounts host the characters that get played. These accounts own two of the most important houses, to boot. These accounts are always active. Two other accounts are far more disposable - they have nothing really, besides owning two houses used for some extra storage and deco-fun. Characters on these accounts are not getting played, they have no skills trained or prospects for future. They hold houses, that is all.
Am I cool with paying bit over 60 dollars a year for these two accounts that do nothing except hold two houses? Yeah, it sounds fair to me. I consider it 'worth it.'
Am I cool with notion of having to pay a full price for four accounts, two of which I never log in to? Am I cool with the notion of UO turning into a 800 dollar hobby, where 400 dollars goes to - nothing- except change of owning two extra houses? Hell no. It appears unreasonable.

If you somehow have ended up with having characters you actually PLAY spread over three or five different accounts, then they stop being house holder accounts by definition. Since you play the accounts, you want to pay for the pleasure of having access to the characters.As long as you don't play the characters, you pay exclusively for the house. That cost, for two houses, becoming 200 a year slice feels obscene. We speak of bang/buck - ratio that most people would consider entirely unreasonable completely regardless of one's income. Will I bite the bullet and accept Ultima Online would start costing me 800 dollars a year, 400 of which comes from the pleasure of having two more homes? **** no.

Ultimately, it is extremely simple - those who figure close to 200 dollars a year for owning a house will bend over and pay 200 dollars a year for it. Rest cram em chests tighter and abandon the accounts. You can be sure I've no intention to start considering UO a four digit hobby.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly idk but they need to bring back tents lol that would help ...
Wanna know a really interesting thing about the numerous "Open every third month" - house holder accounts of people? Yeah, they are mostly used for the stated purpose of house holding.

Let's make a super far fetched example out of a guy, let's call him Flagg, who is a very active UO player with total of four accounts and four houses. Two of those accounts he considers extremely important - they have the soulstones and characters in varied stages on a long journey towards fully trained templates. These accounts host the characters that get played. These accounts own two of the most important houses, to boot. These accounts are always active. Two other accounts are far more disposable - they have nothing really, besides owning two houses used for some extra storage and deco-fun. Characters on these accounts are not getting played, they have no skills trained or prospects for future. They hold houses, that is all.
Am I cool with paying bit over 60 dollars a year for these two accounts that do nothing except hold two houses? Yeah, it sounds fair to me. I consider it 'worth it.'
Am I cool with notion of UO suddenly having to play four accounts, two of which I never log in to? Am I cool with the notion of UO turning into a 800 dollar hobby, where 400 dollars goes to - nothing- except change of owning two extra houses? Hell no. It appears unreasonable.

f you somehow have ended up having 3 or 5 accounts you actually PLAY, then they stop being house holder accounts by definition. Since you play the accounts, you want to pay for the pleasure of having access to the characters.As long as you don't play the characters, you pay exclusively for the house. That cost, for two houses, becoming 200 a year feels bit obscene. We speak of bang/buck - ratio that most people would consider entirely unreasonable completely regardless of one's income. Will I bite the bullet and accept Ultima Online would start costing me 800 dollars a year? **** no.

Ultimately, it is extremely simple - those who figure close to 200 dollars a year for owning a house will bend over and pay 200 dollars a year for it. Rest cram em chests tighter and abandon the accounts. You can be sure I've no intention to start considering UO a four digit hobby.
What BS/EA needs to do is figure out how to let us pay a small amount every month (e.g., $4.50) to add a house to an existing account.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was going to say the same thing earlier but delete it because I thought about it as I was typing it.

If you had to only pay half price to add a second house then accounts would close they would lose money. I would close half my accounts, wouldn’t you?

One of UOs best know features is housing.

Why give it away looking at as a business makes no since.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Endless Journey:
What was really said:

1. EJ accounts have a limited bank, unless you pay for storage. ONLY that additional storage is subject to auction. While an EJ account, most of your regular bank contents are inaccessible, but will be there if you go paid.
  2. Can't use houses. Characters will have to live out of an inn, tent, or otherwise take chances on logging. How this will affect buying from vendors wasn't sufficiently answered.
  3. Existing Accounts will have to go without paid status long enough for existing houses to fall, to switch to EJ.
  4. New accounts would go into EJ if they aren't paid by the end of trial. The Trial Account period would probably remain unchanged from how it currently works (including how a trial account converts after being paid).
  5. The 30 day code/90 days to save/fall a week later pattern is COMPLETELY UNCHANGED. The earlier reports were the result of Mesanna not fully hearing the question, and the answer resulting going in a completely odd direction from what was asked. There were multiple clarifications later, throughout the afternoon and evening.
  6. Access by friends/co-owners that are paid up was never brought up, at least not where I could hear, so will probably be as currently.
  7. As long as an account has a house and is unpaid, it can't log in (why it would take approximately 95-100 days after last paid day to convert to EJ)
  8. EJ accounts can buy Sovereigns and use them like any other account, making it the equivalent of a very limited F2P - but probably wouldn't meet the standard definition of a "real" F2P+purchases game.
  9. Current plans are to allow EJ characters to do spawns, but with steps to prevent their use as ghost cams. How this would work has not been decided yet.
  10. All accounts will be ungraded sometime in the next couple of publishes to be Stygian Abyss (instead of the current ML). Apparently, this will happen soon enough that Mesanna advised to not pay upgrade to SA unless you really felt you had to give them money...
  11. EJ accounts are not eligible for holiday gifts or vet rewards. Presumably, this means that an account would have to be paid to claim existing, remaining, vet rewards from previous years.
  12. Mesanna stated that the EMs would not be ACTIVELY told to watch for multi-boxers, and that if they spot blatant evidence, they could call down her wrath immediately. (probably means EMs will be given the power to contact a GM/Dev for immediate action, something that was AFAIK not part of the rules currently)

And, a couple from Pacific (who won one of the castles) was filming both Garriott/Long and the State of UO/Q&A, so that might show up online eventually. I was actually joking back and forth with them, that since the candle holders on each table were to be drawn for by those at the table that didn't win anything (and there were just us 3 at the table), if one of us got the last castle, the other would get the candle - and sure enough, she got the castle.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Endless Journey:
What was really said:

1. EJ accounts have a limited bank, unless you pay for storage. ONLY that additional storage is subject to auction. While an EJ account, most of your regular bank contents are inaccessible, but will be there if you go paid.
  2. Can't use houses. Characters will have to live out of an inn, tent, or otherwise take chances on logging. How this will affect buying from vendors wasn't sufficiently answered.
  3. Existing Accounts will have to go without paid status long enough for existing houses to fall, to switch to EJ.
  4. New accounts would go into EJ if they aren't paid by the end of trial. The Trial Account period would probably remain unchanged from how it currently works (including how a trial account converts after being paid).
  5. The 30 day code/90 days to save/fall a week later pattern is COMPLETELY UNCHANGED. The earlier reports were the result of Mesanna not fully hearing the question, and the answer resulting going in a completely odd direction from what was asked. There were multiple clarifications later, throughout the afternoon and evening.
  6. Access by friends/co-owners that are paid up was never brought up, at least not where I could hear, so will probably be as currently.
  7. As long as an account has a house and is unpaid, it can't log in (why it would take approximately 95-100 days after last paid day to convert to EJ)
  8. EJ accounts can buy Sovereigns and use them like any other account, making it the equivalent of a very limited F2P - but probably wouldn't meet the standard definition of a "real" F2P+purchases game.
  9. Current plans are to allow EJ characters to do spawns, but with steps to prevent their use as ghost cams. How this would work has not been decided yet.
  10. All accounts will be ungraded sometime in the next couple of publishes to be Stygian Abyss (instead of the current ML). Apparently, this will happen soon enough that Mesanna advised to not pay upgrade to SA unless you really felt you had to give them money...
  11. EJ accounts are not eligible for holiday gifts or vet rewards. Presumably, this means that an account would have to be paid to claim existing, remaining, vet rewards from previous years.
  12. Mesanna stated that the EMs would not be ACTIVELY told to watch for multi-boxers, and that if they spot blatant evidence, they could call down her wrath immediately. (probably means EMs will be given the power to contact a GM/Dev for immediate action, something that was AFAIK not part of the rules currently)

And, a couple from Pacific (who won one of the castles) was filming both Garriott/Long and the State of UO/Q&A, so that might show up online eventually. I was actually joking back and forth with them, that since the candle holders on each table were to be drawn for by those at the table that didn't win anything (and there were just us 3 at the table), if one of us got the last castle, the other would get the candle - and sure enough, she got the castle.
So we can exploit the housing issue?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to say the same thing earlier but delete it because I thought about it as I was typing it.

If you had to only pay half price to add a second house then accounts would close they would lose money. I would close half my accounts, wouldn’t you?

One of UOs best know features is housing.

Why give it away looking at as a business makes no since.
What do you mean, they would lose money? If you make the price for adding a second house to an account somewhere in the range of $4.50 to $5.00 per month, that's $54 to $60 per year for the "second house option," instead of the $52 ($13 x 4) people pay now to keep a house on an account that is only open one month out of three. That's $2 to $8 more per year than BS/EA gets now for accounts used for housing-only. I really doubt that people who keep multiple accounts open year-round now would close any of those accounts because they are probably looking forward to the vet rewards those accounts are accruing at a steady clip, even if they aren't fully utilizing the characters on those accounts. However, those people certainly might decide to pay $5 more per month to gain extra housing. So in the long run, EA/BS could end up making more than they are now, even without adding any new players.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Endless Journey:
What was really said:

Thank you for taking the time to write that up, Basara. I hope Mesanna will take the time to write it up as well and post it for the benefit of people who don't find your post!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That can't be right... so it means everyone could play the 90-day game... except without losing access to logging in for the following 3 months after an account expires.... Unless they plan to shorten the time between expiration/house decay... Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding it.

Edit: After an account expires, it is inactive & is unable to be logged in Until the house falls (~90 days), After the house falls the account becomes endless journey with certain restrictions until it's paid for again... If that's the case, the 90-day game would go unchanged.

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What do you mean, they would lose money? If you make the price for adding a second house to an account somewhere in the range of $4.50 to $5.00 per month, that's $54 to $60 per year for the "second house option," instead of the $52 ($13 x 4) people pay now to keep a house on an account that is only open one month out of three. That's $2 to $8 more per year than BS/EA gets now for accounts used for housing-only. I really doubt that people who keep multiple accounts open year-round now would close any of those accounts because they are probably looking forward to the vet rewards those accounts are accruing at a steady clip, even if they aren't fully utilizing the characters on those accounts. However, those people certainly might decide to pay $5 more per month to gain extra housing. So in the long run, EA/BS could end up making more than they are now, even without adding any new players.
That would be a very great extra money option. I would do that just to not have the hassle of paying for 4 accounts with game time codes. Our other 3 accounts for us and our daughter stay open constantly as it is. But we have to track the other 4 in Excel and watch for them to go Idoc both (when we can't enter...) and then jump over and pay, it's a big hassle. Sorry to beat the donkey earlier guys.... I just knew that it would have been a lethal dagger for sure....

And Yes, thank you @Basara, so glad to see your post.... Thank you.

That can't be right... so it means everyone could play the 90-day game... except without losing access to logging in for the following 3 months after an account expires.... Unless they plan to shorten the time between expiration/house decay... Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding it.
I think they meant that you have to let your house fall, more or less. That's the only way to go into Endless Journey on an account. Or something like that? Not totally sure too.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what’s next

No more multi boxing (YA) wait maybe not really it’s still the same :(

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they meant that you have to let your house fall, more or less. That's the only way to go into Endless Journey on an account. Or something like that? Not totally sure too.
That's what I was thinking. But they'd probably have to clarify that.

@Basara was anything said about actual multi-clienting? I routinely use two accounts for content like Shadowguard, the current invasions, etc.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Endless Journey:
What was really said:

I think all of this is pure awesome!!! : D Actual, legitimate huge news!

...Except the auction storage thing, that sounds weird, annoying and pointless. Pointless in a sense that I doubt it achieves anything - it sets out to scare or blackmail people into subscribing. You'd do better to seduce em. Can't annoy a player til he likes you.

Concept of auctioning away insides of closed accounts in itself is something that has some fun-potential tho. - as long as we speak of banned mining bots and so on. It'd be bit like Magincia bazaar : D

Last edited:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In same way you "exploit" the "discount issue" in real life shops, I guess.
I’m sorry you lost me, I’m slow or maybe not as intelligent as you and others here can you elaborate on this?

No offense meant.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have an account that has not been active for years. Can I activate this account under EJ?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have an account that has not been active for years. Can I activate this account under EJ?
is the non-disclosure focus group thing done?
if not then i dont know your answer.