• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

STORAGE WARS!!!!!!!

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
UPDATE:

They are designing an entirely separate storage system in Britain that Endless Journey Player Accounts can pay to use for a cheaper subscription fee than the one we all pay now for housing plus benefits, and then if the Endless Journey Player stops paying for this storage benefit, don't empty it, after some period of time the contents will be offered up for auction. Also I am being led to believe that they want to create a way for players to see what is in the storage, so you won't be bidding on it blindly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A player deactivates their account, and does not return to Ultima On-line for many years (yet to be determined). At which point, a UO representative (such as a GM or EM) logs in at a set time once a month unique to that shard to auction off the contents of said player's characters' bank boxes, back packs, and worn equipment sight unseen. The UO representative will announce the character's name, the character's age, and account age before the bidding begins. All opening bids begin at 10,000 gold at progressive intervals. Payment can be made in the same form of method as that of spring cleaning, or collection points.

Disclaimer - I readily admit I have no idea if such said concept is possible. This post is purely for entertainment purposes. If a developer would like to indulge us as to the potential for such an enterprising prospect, I would be very grateful. Thank you!

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem. The player may want to come back later on regardless of how long they've been gone.

Other than that it could be a fun idea.

W

Woodsman

Most of the MMOs deliberately keep accounts, characters, etc. around in the database precisely because of what Viper09 said. If people quit the game knowing their stuff might be auctioned off at some point, they wouldn't come back.

They would be better off just generating a bunch of stuff and selling it.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Even though I LOVE that show...and watching it made me wish I had $1000000000000000 to go to those auctions...the reasons Petra gave are just the tip of the iceberg.

I *quit* many years ago, I had TONS of rares and rubble, 9 rift pillars, deamon blood full rubble benches and I just let it fall. All my full soulstones...I lost ALOT...BUT I had banked gold and a few things that were dear to me knowing that if I ever did come back, my characters/items and pets would be right there waiting for me.

If I knew that my stuff would eventually be auctioned off, I wouldn't be here right now....and that's unacceptable. I can't put my finger on why UO is so special...there is no one reason that this *game* is worth coming back to. Everyone has a reason...so it's nice to know that after 3 or 5 or 6 years, you can come back and at least have something.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*nods*

Multiple RolePlayers on GL either are coming back or are actively contemplating that. Would they even get to the contemplation stage if they knew their stuff had been auctioned off by the manufacturer?

Last night I rezzed a guy, near my house, who told me he was just back after a 7-year hiatus.

The truth is that the returners can reasonably be inferred to be close in number to the leavers. It's just that most of the returners don't post about it, they just come back. So when I see posts about returners, I wonder what the ratio is of those who announce their returns versus those who just return.

How many folks come back after a long break and want to just quietly log in, have fun, and have their characters go about their own business without particularly bothering anyone? Now imagine if, Heaven forbid, they didn't realize their stuff would be rudely and callously auctioned off by the manufacturer, then logged in only to find out that just that had happened.

So, no. The storage wars proposal is really quite terrible.

-Galen's player

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If players were gone for more than 10 years even, their equipment is most likely obsolete, their rares are probably duped, or near worthless. Most people I know that quit for long periods of time, usually sell or give their stuff away. Now if this post wasn't for entertainment purposes, and was actually possible, I am sure UO could if it really wanted to, just duplicate the belongs of players that quit 10+ years ago, and keep their virtual items in safekeeping for them upon return. Or better yet, only apply this to banned accounts that weren't banned for duping. This way everyone is happy. Isn't that what UO does, try to make everyone happy all the time? :thumbup1:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If players were gone for more than 10 years even, their equipment is most likely obsolete, their rares are probably duped, or near worthless.
A good example of a player who was gone for 10 or more years only to return is our Producer, Jeff Skalski.

His equipment may have been obsolete, but I've got no reason to think his rares, if he had them, were duped. I like, by the way, how you slipped in that someone's rares were "probably duped" if they had been gone for 10 years. This can be taken in 1 of 2 ways. 1 is that someone gone for that long was probably a duper or a hoarder of duped items. I have no reason to think this is correct. 2 is that every rare has been duped. That may be true I guess, but it's never been my impression.

Now if this post wasn't for entertainment purposes, and was actually possible, I am sure UO could if it really wanted to, just duplicate the belongs of players that quit 10+ years ago, and keep their virtual items in safekeeping for them upon return.
Or, you know, just leave things alone and see if they come back. Requiring EA to dig up the stuff and then duplicate it would appear to be far less-efficient than just letting it gather dust in a warehouse.

Or better yet, only apply this to banned accounts that weren't banned for duping.
Since bolding text makes it correct: Damn straight. Clearly it is entirely inconceivable that someone could be doing more bad things than the one they happened to get hit with the ban stick for. Also if the idea is to prevent other players from purchasing the results of others' not-allowed activities, then what about Scripting? What about scamming other players? What about the other kinds of things a player can be banned for that can, directly or indirectly, result in getting stuff?

This way everyone is happy. Isn't that what UO does, try to make everyone happy all the time? :thumbup1:
Why do we UO players insist upon so-often mistaking what we want with what 'everyone' wants?

-Galen's player

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is asking for anyone who ever though about coming back getting into to game and going WTF and then rage loging for good. They have said all the time that there is no way for them to verify what these folks have and there would be no way to return it much less trying to find a back up of when they left. While it might sound interesting to you the odds are that it would cut out the returning players which seems to be the bulk of the "new" players coming back. While their things might be out of date at least they still have something to get started with. Also accounts that were banned (as much as it pains me to say due to the history lost) are better to go away completetly because in many cases there were probably connected to folks involved in something like duping or scripting and getting that out of the economy is a good thing.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If players were gone for more than 10 years even, their equipment is most likely obsolete, their rares are probably duped, or near worthless.

How dare you say something like this. I came back after 5 years, sure my gear was sub-par and what *rares* I had were only priceless to ME..but for you to say such things is very inconsiderate. I still use the exact same gear I used 5 years ago and have no problems doing the things I did back then..other then kill swoop :/

So no my equipment was NOT obsolete my rares were NOT duped or worthless...how dare you suggest such things?

jrok512

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be awesome to see that done to banned accounts.. just throwing my opinion out there. I would also pay more money per account to have this happen in game.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If players were gone for more than 10 years even, their equipment is most likely obsolete, their rares are probably duped, or near worthless. Most people I know that quit for long periods of time, usually sell or give their stuff away. Now if this post wasn't for entertainment purposes, and was actually possible, I am sure UO could if it really wanted to, just duplicate the belongs of players that quit 10+ years ago, and keep their virtual items in safekeeping for them upon return. Or better yet, only apply this to banned accounts that weren't banned for duping. This way everyone is happy. Isn't that what UO does, try to make everyone happy all the time? :thumbup1:
Sure their equipment may be "sub-par" but why should that justify auctioning their stuff? Why must all old rares be duped or near worthless? From what I've seen the older the items are the more valuable they are, at least in terms of rares. The only way I could see this as probably workable is if it's only done to perma-banned accounts, assuming they can never be re-opened.

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Did I just hear they are doing something like this at the 20th anniversary party.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Omg NECROMANCYYYYYY

Also yes, but only for a specific storage type, and it happens when the account lapses

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Omg NECROMANCYYYYYY

Also yes, but only for a specific storage type, and it happens when the account lapses
So if you carefully stash everything in the bank and drop your house because you need to quit playing for a while, Broadsword is going to raid your bankbox and give things away to other players? That's horrible! I hope this is clarified soon.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one would only support the auctioning off of the house and its contents not the items held by the account for the very reason Petra has so graciously pointed out.
To do so by Stone set for a week would suffice. As we did for the mag lots.
You don't get to see the contents and the house like now will be unaccessable till bidding is over. IF owner returns when the bidding is open he can bid to get his property out of hock... which is fair.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if you carefully stash everything in the bank and drop your house because you need to quit playing for a while, Broadsword is going to raid your bankbox and give things away to other players? That's horrible! I hope this is clarified soon.
No, this is for a new storage type, not Banks. It would be shared among your character slots i think? Hopefully it's in the video we are recording

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bad idea. People often come back. Almost all " new players" are old player who return to UO after 2, 5, 10++ year break. You don't wanna make it appear that much a worse idea by looting them clean, heh.
"Hi! Welcome back to UO! Please be aware we auctioned all your rares and interesting stuff away. Enjoy your stay. Nice to have you back!!" Heh.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bad idea. People often come back. Almost all " new players" are old player who return to UO after 2, 5, 10++ year break. You don't wanna make it appear that much a worse idea by looting them clean, heh.
"Hi! Welcome back to UO! Please be aware we auctioned all your rares and interesting stuff away. Enjoy your stay. Nice to have you back!!" Heh.
Then don't put it in the new storage, the bank appears to be unchanged.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah from what I understand, your bank contents will be untouched but only accessible if you keep paying for your account.

If you DON'T Pay for your account, it's not like the RTB was, you'll have a totally different storage system...so if you want the stuff in your bank you gotta pay.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like Pure Greed. "If I cant get all of the idoc one way here is another way to corner it + some extra"

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyone know what happened to Galen? Did he quit UO or just the forum?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someone clarify that folks who have paid for an account, that quit... will lose their banked items? Is that actually a definite with rollout date?

I'm actually in the process of quitting. I'm selling off the shop backstock and closing my 20 yr old account. If my banked stuff won't be there if I ever decide to play again, I may as well get rid of it too. To be honest, if this is really what will happen, I don't ever see myself returning.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
erm, why am I getting likes on a post that's over 5 years old?
Necro'ing this thread is going to cause total confusion. As far as I can tell from Speranza's posts, this is something that only applies to 'journey' accounts and the special storage facility associated with them.
If you quit and come back on a Journey account you get journey storage, you will need to re-subscribe to access your subscription account bank boxes.
If you start a Journey account and then don't log in for [time unknown] your journey account storage contents will be disposed of. At all times journey accounts are a totally seperate entity from subscription accounts as far as storage is concerned.

So, @Assia Penryn you can quit as planned and everything will be there as expected when you're ready to re-subscribe.

@Speranza Is my understanding correct?

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I literally just talked to Bleak, the storage way style vault is completely different from your bank. It is a new system that allows you access from all your characters. This is what can be auctioned off if you have items in it when your account expires. NOT YOUR BANK.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
If they did this it would be a sure way to ensure old players wouldn't even bother returning due to all their stuff having been sold off.
And since most people who play nowadays either never left or are returning players due to nostalgia I'd say it would be a terrible idea.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they did this it would be a sure way to ensure old players wouldn't even bother returning due to all their stuff having been sold off.
And since most people who play nowadays either never left or are returning players due to nostalgia I'd say it would be a terrible idea.
It's almost exactly the same mechanic as a house, see my previous post.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moderators: May I respectfull suggest this thread be locked? It is causing unwarranted confusion and consternation. The true intention is NOT that suggested in the opening post and far clearer information is in the other thread.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Moderators: May I respectfull suggest this thread be locked? It is causing unwarranted confusion and consternation. The true intention is NOT that suggested in the opening post and far clearer information is in the other thread.
But we're all getting good Necro gains Petra.

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Speranza is correct. They are designing an entirely separate storage system that Endless Journey players can pay to use for a cheaper subscription fee than the one we all pay now, and then if they stop paying for that storage, don't empty it, the contents will be offered up for auction. Also I am being led to believe that they want to create a way for players to see what is in the storage, so you won't be bidding on it blindly.

Sorry if I created any unnecessary confusion. Its just I come up with these ideas, post about them, and they implement them about 5 - 8 years later. I am looking forward to bards being able to hold instruments and being able to engrave our clothing.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While taking items and putting them is pseudo storage war might be the outter shell of the system, I think the reasoning is to clear up the data base of older items and clear them out. For example..if there’s a unit of 1000 items for auction. Odds are 900 of them are complete junk. Hence it makes it way to the garbage. In effect they are clearing 900 items from the memory. I’d love to see the astronomical number of items they have backed up.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i don't know how true this is but I hope the auction of banked items will not happen. what a waste of devs time, effort and resources. this will only benefit the rich. I don't see any good coming from this. there are already enough items in this game, a lot of stuff doesn't sell well if at all. what effects will this have on the economy? I would rather the items get deleted than to auction them off. I do agree if people come back and find stuff gone, they probably will never come back.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i don't know how true this is but I hope the auction of banked items will not happen. what a waste of devs time, effort and resources. this will only benefit the rich. I don't see any good coming from this. there are already enough items in this game, a lot of stuff doesn't sell well if at all. what effects will this have on the economy? I would rather the items get deleted than to auction them off. I do agree if people come back and find stuff gone, they probably will never come back.
I second this, the whole idea is ridiculous. Why are they wasting time on this crap? Well..we all know they are implementing this waste of dev cash. So sitting around pancakes about it won’t help. Hopefully they read these comments and maybe do it correct. If your account is over 5 year you should be grandfathered not to be auctioned off. That’s lame..

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bearing in mind everything that is wrong with the game, everything that needs fixing, and obviously with limited resources to do so, it beggars belief that they should even be considering crap like this. It's bizarre.

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@cazador @Lord Arm I corrected the record about this. It is worth their time, because they are creating a new stream of income to invest in UOs future, because its NOT YOUR BANK BOX, its an Endless Journey Player's new storage unit per say that they pay a monthly subscription for, and then if they stop paying for their extra NON-BANK storage, it will go up for auction. If they want to protect their belongings, not pay for a house, they can keep their priceless items on their character and in their bank, but anything they leave in this paid Storage Unit will be up for grabs after some yet to be determined length of time.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like how the players are again to figure out what this actually all is. Preparing an official statement and publishing it to the website to explain the plans and counter rumors is obviously way overrated! Gotta love or hate our professional devs, but they know how to keep the drama rolling.

:popcorn:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe tomorrow someone official could actually post the facts? Would save a lot of upset I think....
I hope so. Either patch notes for pub 99 or something else making all the info from the party public on uo.com
Anyone who didn't attend the party doesn't know anything about the new systems. Just a few tidbits from people, which posted a few lines here and there in the forums or linked a photo from a slide of the presentation. People start drawing conclusions without any basis. Arguments get picked out of thin air. And then everyone wonders, why suddenly the sky is falling again...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope so. Either patch notes for pub 99 or something else making all the info from the party public on uo.com
Anyone who didn't attend the party doesn't know anything about the new systems. Just a few tidbits from people, which posted a few lines here and there in the forums or linked a photo from a slide of the presentation. People start drawing conclusions without any basis. Arguments get picked out of thin air. And then everyone wonders, why suddenly the sky is falling again...
That's @Mesanna preferred style of communication. Just like the clops' houses some weeks ago. Players had to beg for like a full week until she apparently finally decided to put some moongates up (and let the players figure it out themselfs that there are moongates in luna :p).

I kinda wish EA also brought a new producer in when they made the call for FTP. But yea, wishful thinking...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was thinking it'd be a great gold sink for those who have more gold then sense... but maybe that's me...