• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It's suspiciously quiet in here... (babble thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning all and returners!

Welcome back Fluffi!

Was there ever a doubt that anybody can escape this? Maybe we should petition EA to close down UO, so that we all can have our lives back? But then ... what a horrible thought!!! :thumbdown:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning all and returners!

Welcome back Fluffi!

Was there ever a doubt that anybody can escape this? Maybe we should petition EA to close down UO, so that we all can have our lives back? But then ... what a horrible thought!!! :thumbdown:

Noooooooo, I'd have to get a bow and arrow and learn archery in rl, then I'd have to find something else to kill when my kids wind me up! UO is my stress relief.

Fluffi, if you're hanging out in Haven helping youngs and require access to our armour stores, let me know hun :) Mim has access too, just in case she runs out of stuff :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
John, no! the real alternative to UO would be reality TV. Would you really wish that fate on anyone? Even your worst enemy?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
John, no! the real alternative to UO would be reality TV. Would you really wish that fate on anyone? Even your worst enemy?

I believe I'd rather gouge my own eyeballs out with a rusty spoon than watch reality tv.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning all and spoons!

See, I told you it was a horrible idea. Plus, as long as we don't know what base damage a rusty spoon can do, we would be defenseless! And do we need cooking, alchemy or fencing for killing NPCs with it? :confused:

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still want my cook to be able to defend herself with her skillet. It can be a two handed weapon, no problem
A rolling pin should be one handed though.
I have been to Bristol, woohoo

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning all and chefs!

Now there is an interesting combination : skillet, rolling pin and Bristol. I take it that people shouldn't go to Bristol without his/hers kitchen tools? :pancakes:

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning John and silent people!
One should strictly go nowhere without a skillet and a sharp knife.
Sometimes the customs officers have taken a lot of persuading.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning silent masses and Saunders!

I gave up taking everything and the kitchen sink with me when I travel. The security guys don't take it too friendly when you make hints about "spooning" when trying to explain all the cutlery in your hand luggage .... :lame:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
g'morning people. I think it's a requirement of the job, John, security type peoples have their sense of humour removed, or at least have to leave it in their locker while they're working.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I take it that people shouldn't go to Bristol without his/hers kitchen tools? :pancakes:

Bristol's OK: Particularly the zoo.

I've been to the zoo a few times, but the most memorable visit was a school trip.
I have never worked-out why a London comprehensive school would have a field trip to Bristol zoo, but, hey; who cares.

We all got drunk on the train on the way back home, and played "french-kiss poker." All the lads got to snog our history teacher; which was quite an eye-opening experience for a young and impressionable Bunni.

*goes glassy-eyed whilst reminiscing about the days before child-protection legislation*

This is probably WAY too much information for Europa; but nobody can get cross with me 'cos I have just come back to UO; and am thus immune from all potential moderator reprimands.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Afternoon babblers. Thought I'd share this little snippet from my board, contributed by our EBT, who's a funny lad sometimes. With apologies to all scousers :)

"The Ferrari F1 team fired their entire pit crew yesterday."

This announcement followed Ferrari's decision to take advantage of the British
government's 'Work for your Dole' scheme and employ some Liverpudlian youngsters.
The decision to hire them was brought about by a recent documentary on how
unemployed youths from Toxteth were able to remove a set of wheels in less
than 6 seconds without proper equipment, whereas Ferrari's existing crew could
only do it in 8 seconds with millions of pounds worth of high tech equipment.

It was thought to be an excellent, bold move by the Ferrari management team
as most races are won and lost in the pits, giving Ferrari an advantage over
every other team.

However, Ferrari got more than they bargained for! At the crew's first practice
session, not only was the scouse pit crew able to change all four wheels in
under 6 seconds but, within 12 seconds, they had re-sprayed, re-badged
and sold the car to the Mclaren team for 8 cases of Stella, a bag of weed and
some photos of Lewis Hamilton's bird in the shower.

T

TerryFyde

*wonders what is so special even valuable about a piccie of a budgie taking a shower*

T

TerryFyde

Blackmail?
So lets get this straight.

:eyes:

The silver car boys thought they had "hustled" the red car boys into hiring a "gang" of scousers who were really working for the silver car boys ..... but in reality it was all set up by a red car rocket scientist as a strategy for them gaining an advantage tactically during the races :confused:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ex-act-ly!

Morning reds and silvers and all the rest!

Now all this F1 talk got me a bit dizzy. If anybody could now explain how to score a wicket, I am sure that would push me over the edge ... :lick:

T

TerryFyde

*decides to give John a push*

A relatively simple explanation is that the first requirement of "getting" a wicket, assuming the game is in play, is for the bowler to bowl....... care must be taken that he does not bowl a no ball. The bowlers options include spinning which may include a leg break, a googgly, a chinaman, an off break or even a wrong un .... alternatively they may decided to swing the ball, pitch it short or up, though a full toss is usually a bad option, but, a bouncer can be effective ..... though the bowler has other options i will not list them in fear that it might confuse you :thumbup:.

After the bowler has bowled, unless he hits the stumps or the batsmens leg before (this requires agreement of the umpire to ensure that the ball bowled has met a list of criteria which if listed may lead to a small amount of confusion), assistance is required from other team members to either catch the ball (before it has touched the ground) ... (some have been known to use parts of their body or even clothing pockets to prevent the ball bouncing), or run out one or both of the batsmen who are at the crease ..... unless of course the bowler had caught and bowled the batsman.

I am sure that this simplified explanation will, as Petra has just said "enlighten" you and help convert you into an avid follower of this most interesting and thrilling of games. Should you require any further or more detailed explanation to help you enjoy this spectacular game do not hesitate to ask:party:

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A relatively simple explanation is that the first requirement of "getting" a wicket, assuming the game is in play, is for the bowler to bowl....... care must be taken that he does not bowl a no ball. The bowlers options include spinning which may include a leg break, a googgly, a chinaman, an off break or even a wrong un .... alternatively they may decided to swing the ball, pitch it short or up, though a full toss is usually a bad option, but, a bouncer can be effective ..... though the bowler has other options i will not list them in fear that it might confuse you :thumbup:.

After the bowler has bowled, unless he hits the stumps or the batsmens leg before (this requires agreement of the umpire to ensure that the ball bowled has met a list of criteria which if listed may lead to a small amount of confusion), assistance is required from other team members to either catch the ball (before it has touched the ground) ... (some have been known to use parts of their body or even clothing pockets to prevent the ball bouncing), or run out one or both of the batsmen who are at the crease ..... unless of course the bowler had caught and bowled the batsman.

I am sure that this simplified explanation will, as Petra has just said "enlighten" you and help convert you into an avid follower of this most interesting and thrilling of games. Should you require any further or more detailed explanation to help you enjoy this spectacular game do not hesitate to ask:party:

What he said.

Or alternatively, Google for "Douglas Adams Krikket"

*there is cake awaiting Terry in the BBC Radio 4 commentary box*

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
morning aaaaaaaa ...... *makes flappy movements with his arms on the looong way down*

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cricket is an ancient rain dance ritual. It nearly always works.

Greetings cricketers and people!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cricket is an ancient rain dance ritual. It nearly always works.

Greetings cricketers and people!

And if it doesn't work, you can try ye olde car washing ritual; guaranteed result every single time!

Morning/afternoon all, dependin on where you are. Is everyone doing something more interesting than me today? I do hope so - my schedule reads 'housework, housework, housework'.

T

TerryFyde

*there is cake awaiting Terry in the BBC Radio 4 commentary box*
*checks bus timetables*
*ensures bus pass is uptodate*

Before i go to collect me cake i would just say that Fluffi is now showing his age with that most welcome of "prize" award :stir:.

*will enjoy eating the cake on me way home ..... so Petra will not know*

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I washed carrots.

My beloved decided to pull them up in the dark because frost was forecast last night.

Maybe carrot cake will ensue.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning all and carrots!

*brushes off dirt* Did somebody say cake?

There is another fail-safe ritual to make it rain: cleaning windows. I cleaned ours on Sunday, and it caused a downpour for the better part of the following 24 hours ...:rant2:

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See, they don't play cricket in Wales, because they just don't need a rain dance.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and here I thought the reason was they couldn't find a big enough flat area.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning all and Kimi!

of course we missed you ... and for me you are already on the 10th page. So come on, drag your lazy bones over here and start babbling! :twak:

On a lighter note, I have a weekend of extrem-christmas-market-ing ahead of me since we get visitors from England, so it got cold here just in time for some mulled wine and ginger bread ... *smacks lips in an almost obscene way*

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello folks!

Time to play! And then I mean play, like play-play not stocking vendors! Maybe the good dragon wants to go out for a spin..

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I shall be loggin in soon Serafi; I should probably train imbuing or tidy guildhouse, but I may just go and hunt - pooter is running nice and smooth now, since I spent an hour this morning taking it apart, hoovering it out, using canned air on the crevices and wiping it over with anti static stuff :)

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I shall be loggin in soon Serafi; I should probably train imbuing or tidy guildhouse, but I may just go and hunt - pooter is running nice and smooth now, since I spent an hour this morning taking it apart, hoovering it out, using canned air on the crevices and wiping it over with anti static stuff :)
Have fun guildies :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awww, thanks Saunders - saved me a job! I have NEWS on the soap front. Momentous news! The first batch of soap and shampoo were ready today. So I took a bar of soap, a bottle of shampoo, a book and me off for a nice peaceful bath. The result? I have nice, soft, clean, shiny hair, and nice soft clean skin. I've just tested it on the kids and it didn't dissolve them either, and our wee curly tops hair was a LOT easier to brush!

So, I have success!

:danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb:

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations!

Do they smell of beer, or did you choose something more age appropriate?

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all and smellies!

Now then, let's start the weeks babble with something pleasant: I found two lucky coins last night in the Underworld! Now I only need to find the fountain to toss them into ....

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sowwy. I guess he still has to find his way through?

Hehe, true enough; ruuun Forest, ruuuun :p

I've just been putting together a little christmas playlist (even I have the occasional 5 mins where I'm not a complete scrooge) and thought I'd share these classics :)

[YOUTUBE]upuUV_TdmtM&[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]C5LROczmJHg&[/YOUTUBE]

Largan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hiya all!

Will the new imbuing changes be in effect at server up? I hope so. I might be totally lost though if any info contradicting this has been posted.

Hope is the last things that leaves ya, right?

Largan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greeeeaaat! My computer just said boom and died on me!

Thank god for laptop but hard to play with that keyboard.

Nice to have to patch 1825MB when installing the UO Client on the laptop.

Gonna be an expensive new year! :/

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmmm ...strange, I was sure I posted something earlier ... ah what the hey ... here we go ...

Morning all and (forgot the other thing),

I am the lazy type and prefer looking up everything, so Petras link was very helpful indeed.

Now, that fountain was just around the corner where I was anyway, as I was playing with the iron beetles at that time. So, I went over and tossed one coin in and got ... tadaaaaa ... my Luck boosted! Doh :(

Ah well, tamers can't be choosers ....

Status
Not open for further replies.