• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Halloween event = lame.

E

Epic of Legends

OMG We are only at Begining of October and you are complaining of an event that didnt even start yet, for your information Halloween starts at 30 October not at 30 September
......Halloween is the 31st......... :p

But, I agree. Though the pumpkins may get old, whilst still amazing Grimm, that was done by Grimm. Not the devs. The devs said we were going to have a special treat - i believe them. However they also said it would be active 1st - 12th of Nov. SO, it is probably active now but nobody has found it yet. But thank you Grimm. The pumpkins are killer! Literally! ;)

retrorider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! Thanks for that! I'm a fair animator, and I haven't animated a lot of characters for UO, just these pumpkins, last years Werewolf, and the Ancient Hellhounds. Thanks for the kind words, you made my day!!

-Grimm
Grimm, don't forget the Turkeys!

Again, nice job on Steven King Pumpkins.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm, don't forget the Turkeys!

Again, nice job on Steven King Pumpkins.
Oh, I put those in, but I didn't do the actual animations. Those were done by a very talented animator who used to be on the team named Stuart.

Although you did make me remember that I did some of virtuebanes special animations, and animated his cape in all of them- with varying success.

-Grimm

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope we could hunt that Conjurer talisman and robe again... I missed that event last time.

D

DarkScripture

Grimm . Great job on the animations. Toss us a bone and spruce up the graveyards with something real nasty and rewarding. Plllzzzzz

F

Fayled Dhreams

Umm..yeah I know that ..only problem is I didn't eat any.

I'm on my archer...I don't trick or treat on her and the candy on the killer pumpkins STAYS on the killer pumpkins because 1. I have enough from my begger and 2. Candy doesn't fill you up so I don't eat it.

Only thing I eat on this char is fish steaks :) Her omega 3 fatty acid lvl is pretty high lol.
Of COURSE you didn't eat any candy ...

You're so sweet ...

it would be >cannibalism<

Besides ... You Are BlackRock Larisa
You are no stranger to "voices" ...
wouldn't be the first prelude ... either ...

*goes scouting*

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i got a messana mask, wahoo?

items are what makes this game go round, well that and skill points. I wish they would focus more on that.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm . Great job on the animations. Toss us a bone and spruce up the graveyards with something real nasty and rewarding. Plllzzzzz
Well, my work for Halloween is done. Have to get back to work on higher resolution tasks. Not sure what else is in store for you guys, but whatever's coming, hope you all enjoy.

-Grimm

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG We are only at Begining of October and you are complaining of an event that didnt even start yet, for your information Halloween starts at 30 October not at 30 September
The event was stated to start October 1st. Thats why people are asking.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Of COURSE you didn't eat any candy ...

You're so sweet ...

it would be >cannibalism<

Besides ... You Are BlackRock Larisa
You are no stranger to "voices" ...
wouldn't be the first prelude ... either ...

*goes scouting*

Aww you make me blush ;)

But yeah that's the first thing I thought...why am I always the first one to hear voices? IF in fact they are voices....not that I mind....they do tend to keep me company quite often *grins*

I have searched all dungeons...all >Legacy< dungeons.....all graveyards..killing things hoping to make something spawn..to..****** some undead baddie off...with no luck...

I do tend to think that our...surprise will happen closer to All Hallows Eve...

K

Kayne

Only thing I can say: the animations of the killer pumpkins are some of the best I have seen in this game....ever (2D at least - don´t know bout EC).
I know this won´t satisfy anyone here but it certainly was a graphic highlight of UO for me (and I started in 98).
Wow! Thanks for that! I'm a fair animator, and I haven't animated a lot of characters for UO, just these pumpkins, last years Werewolf, and the Ancient Hellhounds. Thanks for the kind words, you made my day!!

-Grimm
Grimm having just seen my first Killer pumpkin (some EM name) I have to give much kudos to you. The animations etc were brilliant. I honestly can say I am infinitely glad it was not something re-hued or used again. I never saw the hellhounds or the werewolves (other than when my character turns into one) but these killer pumpkins are fantastic.

retrorider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, my work for Halloween is done. Have to get back to work on higher resolution tasks. Not sure what else is in store for you guys, but whatever's coming, hope you all enjoy.

-Grimm
Grimm, thank you again for your years of dedicated work on systems and products that are mostly thankless.

My wife and I fondly remember our meeting in VA.

K

Kayne

For those that have commented on the named pumpkins I just spotted this

K

Kayne

Okay..I might have found something new....

I'm rather creeped out right now lol

I was running around looking for lost items and all of the sudden words appeared over my head

MAKE IT STOP!

No lie....this happen to anyone else????

Grimm....what are you doing?????
Definitely eaten candy Larisa - I just ate some and got the MAKE IT STOP message

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I don't know how many times I can say that I've NEVER eaten candy on my archer.

Devious only has fish steaks in her pack, she doesn't trick or treat and she doesn't loot the wrapped candy off of the killer pumpkin corpses.

I know with 120% certainty that I have never eaten candy on that character, which is why it kinda freaked me out lol.

And I haven't been able to find a small named pumpkin, is that a character name or a Dev/EM/GM name? And does it show with object handles?

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

-Grimm
I'm enjoying it as well. Excellent work!

K

Kayne

All I can say Larisa about that pumpkin is I was unable to pick it up, all I get from it is that tool tip and that I am not able to pick it up.

EDIT - IF named pumpkins are spawning they are very low spawn

KingHen

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I am concerned, what we have now is a good start. And that's all it should be, a start.
We need some new content, like Vampire invasions in every city. Give new loot like new weapons and armor, new collectibles and such. If you clear a city, you get a vending machine type reward dispensing system. For example, double click on the vending machine ans get a Vampire Statuette that reads "I helped free Britain (Trammel) from Vampires - Halloween 2011).

Top it all off on Halloween night with a full scale invasion of witches, zombies, undead, spiders, and demons in every city, including Luna. Turn off Trammel rules on all shards for this night only. Just let all hell break loose!
I am in!!
I would even bring out the pure pally for this one!!

:thumbup:

S

Sevin0oo0

not trying to be negative here, just realistic; pretty sure 'something' is coming, and true to form it'll have: no slayer weap, mage & necro spell spamming, eats animals like savages do, HPR14, Only spawns in the city (so no high level spells). when it gets low on HP, it gains paragon+ speed, loots then resets itself, and oh yeah, 35k hp.
Someone post screenies while I go watch retro tv

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bet 100k HP... they're not called hitpoints anymore at that level, they're armageddon points.

yea :mf_prop:

L

longshanks

as halloween is in the spirit of dressing up as something else, wouldnt a good prize be to obtain a tool that would transform an item of clothing into something else?

like say you go into the yew crypts and do the event and the reward would be to find a magic wand that would turn your conjurors garb into a shirt or something like that.

i dunno, just a thought.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as halloween is in the spirit of dressing up as something else, wouldnt a good prize be to obtain a tool that would transform an item of clothing into something else?

like say you go into the yew crypts and do the event and the reward would be to find a magic wand that would turn your conjurors garb into a shirt or something like that.

i dunno, just a thought.
Like converting bracelet of health into footwear and earrings so youd get 30 hpr if you also had the bracelet?

rareitem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The event was stated to start October 1st. Thats why people are asking.
Oh!! I see that explains why someone plays the 1st Oct and the 2nd Oct is in rage complaining, and saying event = lame , sorry I didnt notice he had 24 hours to full test the event.

K

Kayne

Grimm I have a complaint. I've been playing with the awesome killer pumpkins you did and I have to say I am disappointed. Of all the many I have spawned yours has only spawned once and it didn't give me a mask. I demand that the spawn of your pumpkin and mask be fixed to happen more often.

Got lots of other masks of GM's and EM's I don't know and probably a few designers I dont know but I want one by TheGrimmOmen

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh!! I see that explains why someone plays the 1st Oct and the 2nd Oct is in rage complaining, and saying event = lame , sorry I didnt notice he had 24 hours to full test the event.
Well usually they put an event in, and that is it, and usually people have run through it in the first day, and start posting about it.

I think its silly to say its lame, but not because its early in the month. I would bet big that we will not be getting anything else other than perhaps an EM event at some point, but I think this post is really about the static content.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well usually they put an event in, and that is it, and usually people have run through it in the first day, and start posting about it.

I think its silly to say its lame, but not because its early in the month. I would bet big that we will not be getting anything else other than perhaps an EM event at some point, but I think this post is really about the static content.
What content?

It's a silly pumpkin that takes 20 seconds to kill. There's no story line to it, no challenge, and no reward. 98% of the EM events are a joke, and cater only to one facet.

I hope they have more content for this Halloween. As is though, I see almost none. To say otherwise is just foolish.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pumpkins are fun for 30 seconds when you find one and its good to see new mobs/animations. The masks are ok deco, but once you've collected the names you're interested in, quickly interest will quickly fade. Trick-or-Treating is a rehash of last year, minus the colorful cloth bonus.

Honestly, this isn't Halloween event content worthy of a six week run. Not even a few throwaway lines of plot to explain it.

All in all a strong: Meh.

EMs to the rescue.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For something that only happens once a year for a limited time I don't see a problem with flipping a switch 'on' for it. If they can tweak it a little to change things up a tad all the better.

Billing it as an event in the Herald, IF there isn't one, may be a poor choice of words but it leaves room for the possibilities. I'll wait it out and if there isnt one it's game on as usual after I'm done collecting my masks the same way I collected dev named pumpkins before :)

I'm just glad to see something was added. No complaints here!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I said Grimm AWesome job on the pumpkins. I love them. I'm hoping that next year we can get one as a deco item that is a container or something..... with animated deco so when you walk by it pops out at you......

that would be great....

But seriously it's awesome.

My complaints are in the Trick or Treating..... BAH! Why they ruined the cutting of the cloth I don't know.... that was the best part of trick or treating last year....

As for this year I'm not going to bother with it since it's the same stuff .....

Wish there was something more to do but I'm happily gathering masks...

W

Woodsman

Although you did make me remember that I did some of virtuebanes special animations, and animated his cape in all of them- with varying success.

-Grimm
Virtuebane is one of my favorite pieces of artwork added this year! Very sharp/defined.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm having a good time so far! I have a huge bag of candy (and no, you can't have any) and I got myself a mask or two. Unfortunately I'm not really so tough yet, so I get hammered more often than not. It reminds me of an old saying of my Grandpa's:

"Sometimes you get the squash and sometimes you are the squash."

Or was it:

"Only a bumpkin gets beat by a pumpkin."

It was one of those anyway!

Happy October!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm having a good time so far! I have a huge bag of candy (and no, you can't have any) and I got myself a mask or two. Unfortunately I'm not really so tough yet, so I get hammered more often than not. It reminds me of an old saying of my Grandpa's:

"Sometimes you get the squash and sometimes you are the squash."

Or was it:

"Only a bumpkin gets beat by a pumpkin."

It was one of those anyway!

Happy October!
If you weren't around for previous Halloweens, then I'm sure this year would be great. Sadly I think we may have been spoiled by the awesomeness of years past. :(

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Wow! There's just no keeping you guys up!

I think that you must unlearn.... Unlearn your bad habits of complaining and belly aching about everything!

Look for the positive! It's fun! New animations! Collect some stuff you missed last year! Maybe don't grind it out on the first day so you are bored for the rest of the month!

Just saying....

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think that you must unlearn.... Unlearn your bad habits of complaining and belly aching about everything!

Look for the positive! It's fun! New animations! Collect some stuff you missed last year! Maybe don't grind it out on the first day so you are bored for the rest of the month!

Just saying....
I was bored within the first 5mins. It's almost as boring as mining.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I was bored within the first 5mins. It's almost as boring as mining.
And yet you grind on mining year round. At least this is only one month a year, right? C'mon my friend! It's better than all that!

vexyvixen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last year they had the ancient hell hound thing. I don't see the little dude in Umbra this year selling hell hound treats. Guess we won't be having that again this year *bummer*.

Although I'm not a mask fan, I appreciate the animation that went into the killer pumpkins. No matter how many I kill I still am *wowed*.

Like I said, I don't particularly like the masks (not a mask fan), but they will be on my vendors as soon as the event is over. :thumbup1:

K

Kayne

-Grimm
Can I point this out for those who seem to have missed it and are complaining about Halloween content - Grimm has noted here that what he personally did for Halloween is done and we are seeing that but that something else is coming that he didn't work on.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I point this out for those who seem to have missed it and are complaining about Halloween content - Grimm has noted here that what he personally did for Halloween is done and we are seeing that but that something else is coming that he didn't work on.
Thanks for pointing that out, Kayne!

Sorry I didn't word that better everyone, but I really know nothing about what, if anything, is coming other than the pumpkins. I simply don't know.

-Grimm

K

Kayne

Grimm as you're lurking I still have my complaint about the lack of a mask painted by you and only one pumpkin spawning with your name.

However as I already said love the animation and artwork you did

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for pointing that out, Kayne!

Sorry I didn't word that better everyone, but I really know nothing about what, if anything, is coming other than the pumpkins. I simply don't know.

-Grimm
Well Grimm, I think it's cool! The pumpkins are a little rough on a noob like me, but fun none the less!

Looks good, entertaining and hopefully not over! ;)

Thanks again and I can't wait to see what you do with the HR stuff you are working on.

As a request, could you please make a note to check the scale on some of the mobs? Lots of things seem to be the same size as the PC and the trees look sort of like bushes....

Other than that, I'm a fan!

C

Conrad99

Just saying....
I agree!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's fine to say what you like and what you don't like, what you expected, and how those expectations were met. If they don't get that feed back then they won't be able to give us content we want and enjoy. We are paying customers after all.

That said there's no reason to be insulting about it. I'm defiantly disappointed with this years Halloween festivities, as they don't live up to years past at all, but I DO appreciate the new artwork, as it was well done.

People should be effusive when they feel that way, and civilly critical when they don't.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's fine to say what you like and what you don't like, what you expected, and how those expectations were met. If they don't get that feed back then they won't be able to give us content we want and enjoy. We are paying customers after all.

That said there's no reason to be insulting about it. I'm defiantly disappointed with this years Halloween festivities, as they don't live up to years past at all, but I DO appreciate the new artwork, as it was well done.

People should be effusive when they feel that way, and civilly critical when they don't.
Hrmm... I thought quoting Yoda would be inspirational, not insulting. Sorry you feel that way, but I think you read more into my comments than you should. Not personal, just opinion based on what you posted.

I will reiterate. Look for the positive and comment constructively on the negative.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrmm... I thought quoting Yoda would be inspirational, not insulting. Sorry you feel that way, but I think you read more into my comments than you should. Not personal, just opinion based on what you posted.

I will reiterate. Look for the positive and comment constructively on the negative.
Im not saying YOU were being insulting. However the OP was being insulting, even though I generally agree with the content of his postings.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
*hands out 120 Gripin' and Bitchin' scrolls to a few folks*

Ya'll already GM'd it... may as well shoot for legendary :thumbsup: