• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Halloween event = lame.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That being said, these spawns are not meant for the new character, or even the intermediate character for that matter. I was getting creamed by these guys so I sort of gave up on the whole event. I did Trick or Treat for a while, but that lost it's charm fairly quickly.

The events really should be reviewed so that they can be completed by everyone, don'tcha think?
Boy... you are in for a rude rude awakening. The pumpkins are BY FAR the most easy to kill of any holiday event creatures. Most Halloweens we got monsters that were boss level (Grim reaper, The one spider, Hellhounds, the thing the yellow crystals summoned). Thanksgiving has the boss level turkeys... all of the story events have boss or super boss level monsters. Events hardly EVERY have content for every play level. Its almost always strictly for groups or people who are uber geared and ready to fight bosses solo.

Actually Halloween is the only event time where there is something to do other than kill a boss monster with 10k hps, since you cant trick or treat, and in previous years you could get the costumes, and collect black cat statues, twilight lanterns, ghoul statues, tattered tapestries, and pumpkin scarecrows by following quest or killing low level monsters. That's why I for one was really disappointed with this year (and last year as well).

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Ultimate Ultima OnLine Patient Persistant Persuers - - Just a thought:
Players with the kind of patience and persistance it takes to tolerate UO with all its repetiveness,bugs,glitches, who are able to pour free time and effort into this game, have what it takes to become World Class Scholars in real life skills such as Concert Pianoists, Research Scientists, Doctors, Lawyers, tinkers, tailors - - etc. :scholar:

- - back hunting paragon killer pumpkins .. still hoping for a white chest

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA will totally lose my business over a paragon chest...

heck I might have even tried their new star-wars... used to be a NHL fan...

GIVE IT TO THEM !!!

S

Sevin0oo0

Re: Worst...Halloween....Event....Ever..(since I've started)

You think Jeff was hired ONLY for UO ? :hahaha:
after all, wasn't he quoted as saying UO was ONE of his responsibilities? he might be over that whole studio (near 20 games?)

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't think I would post here nor do I think this problem I encountered with the pumpkins would be relevant to anyone, but the new pumpkins spawning on every farm land cannot be locked down for long..

I went out to pick pumpkins to lay out in my house as a 'pumpkin field' and after a few hours (within 6hrs or so since I left them locked down n went to bed), I woke up to find my freshly picked pumpkins all gone! It has happened twice now and I'm abit disappointed with the pumpkins since I didn't get to pick the ones from last year or year before and would really like to have some pumpkins on my field coming back this year :/

I mean not having any exciting Halloween event in UO is bad enough but not letting us keep the fresh pumpkins for me is worse... I really hope this problem isn't just me..

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't think I would post here nor do I think this problem I encountered with the pumpkins would be relevant to anyone, but the new pumpkins spawning on every farm land cannot be locked down for long..

I went out to pick pumpkins to lay out in my house as a 'pumpkin field' and after a few hours (within 6hrs or so since I left them locked down n went to bed), I woke up to find my freshly picked pumpkins all gone! It has happened twice now and I'm abit disappointed with the pumpkins since I didn't get to pick the ones from last year or year before and would really like to have some pumpkins on my field coming back this year :/

I mean not having any exciting Halloween event in UO is bad enough but not letting us keep the fresh pumpkins for me is worse... I really hope this problem isn't just me..
I was just about to post some nutty pictures but - -

TheChocolits - your message, is very much revelent to me and no doubt to many others. I haven't locked any of the regular pumpkins down but will do so immediately to test.

Also, a question: Are you picking pumpkins from a field near you, on the same server as your house? I'll lock some pumpkins down in my house that are on the same server *Islands* as the field to see what happens to them. Be back tomorrow with the results.

Which shard are you on? If it is Sonoma I have lots of pumpkins you might like to have. I am sure what ever shard you are on, there will be others that can supply you with a few :) Ask on General chat for help with pumpkins.

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, a question: Are you picking pumpkins from a field near you, on the same server as your house? I'll lock some pumpkins down in my house that are on the same server *Islands* as the field to see what happens to them. Be back tomorrow with the results.

Which shard are you on? If it is Sonoma I have lots of pumpkins you might like to have. I am sure what ever shard you are on, there will be others that can supply you with a few :) Ask on General chat for help with pumpkins.
Aww, thanks Jade of Sonoma for ur kind offer but sadly I'm in a not so populated which hardly speaks english and almost forgotten by either EA server called Formosa (lol, sry for the description but it really feels that way here :p) but I'll keep looking..

And the pumpkins I picked were from Brit Farms and locked down in my house in Luna. But the funny thing is, I left 2 pumpkins just outside my house to naturally decay coz I over harvested too much :p and those 2 pumpkins disappeared before the ones in my house.. so maybe they have a slightly longer run-out timer when locked down? Nonetheless, they still time out n decay it seems.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No it isn't just you. I have one small fishin shack next to the Moonglow wheatfield, south Moonglow. I was helping the so called spawn, by picking all the grand total of 4 only pumpkins, that bother to spawn there to help clear the field. I actually took some of the larger pumpkins to decorate my other homes with, n. of brit, and downtown zento.

They all decayed, locked em down with wheat and corn stalks makin nice *garden* in those homes. Meh, next morning I log in and go where are all my pumpkins...they never decayed before when we used em for house deco ?

Now they DO though, make pumpkin pies, which I do not think the other halloween gardened pumpkins ever did before, cuz I tried to make pies out of em other years but no dice. So that may be their only plus *this year*, if ya turn em into PIES quick like, ya get to turn em into, pumpkin pies.

I put em on my vendor for free next to the small Moonglow Wheatfield. :lol:

*ps* In prior yrs. the pumpkins, never seemed to decay, thus we all had to remove em all, to get more to spawn. They seemed to all sit there, till server up next morning, if no one picked em or cleared em with horde minions.

It enabled us to lock some of em down for deco tho.
This year, they seem to have a timer on em, like insta decayin 6-8 hrs. whether anyone picks em or not, or whether we take em home and lock em down, they will go poof on us, in 6-8+ hrs. even if we locked em down in our homes on another part of the UO landscape far from their orig. spawn garden.

Perhaps they added that 'feature' this yr. to those larger pumpkins esp. to help clear the fields ?

I have pumpkins jackolanterns and the light up large ones too for 'some' of my chrs. per shard, but I didn't want to use those this year, due to the acct. migration situation . . would hate to put em out and then lose em cuz, my accts got fubared or whatevers. So I thought I would just go the safer, generic garden variety to lock down this year for deco-ing...but yeh this yrs. garden punkins, that are not the big killa ones, DECAY on us.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Took Pumpkins from every field and locked them down with a book naming the fields they came from .. just in case I can find one field that doesn't have decaying pumpkins. Now to wait for the results - which, no doubt, will be the same as what Queen Zen and TheChocolits have already figured out and told us! Gosh I never thought Pumpkins from a field would decay locked down. One better be careful about locking down OLD pumpkins too just in case it affects them also. Time to call a few GM TheChocolits and ask them to take the timing-decay-mechanism out of the field pumpkins that you picked.

Instead of hunting Killer Pumpkins with my Mare, I'm using my Greater Dragon because he can kill more at one time and faster.
- - but I've a problem:
At first he was okay and did a great job .. until I took him to Illshenar to hunt the Paragons Killer Pumpkins.

Grandpa Charley happened to come in to the field for a visit,
and while we were chatting, a Large Jack O'Lantern appeared ..

Grandpa Charley yells, "Clear out. It's a Paragon!"

"Yep," Grandpa Charley the farmer hollars as he runs out of sight.
"It's a paragon alrighty!"

(actually this is an excuse to practice picture posting)

Dragon took care of that fast

- - but then a real problem started - -

- and right beside that one - another one appeared!

TWO IN A ROW!

- - and dang it all if that Dragon

didn't jump into them

with both feet - -

... and into all the next ones too

- - to be continued. (I fear this post is getting too long)

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:next:-- rushes in to check my pumpkins locked down from every field in the land and - - and --
The new pumpkins spawning on every farm land cannot be locked down for long..
- - ALL GONE! GONE! GONE! :arr:
TheChocolits and QueenZen, you are absolutly correct in saying the pumpkins from all fields this year DO NOT LAST locked down. THANKS FOR POSTING THAT INFORMATION! What a shame. Those field BIG small pumpkins make such wonderful Halloween decorations. Who decided to make them DECAY? Once upon a time, the bigger ones were very rare and I still have some of the very first ones! :grrr::sword:Please STOP PUMPKIN DECAY! PLEASE!

.. while they are deciding how to do that .. I shall continue with the saga of the Dragon versus his Killer pumpkins ..:next:
(- - a comment to Kylie Kinslayer at the end :lol:)

I went out to pick pumpkins to lay out in my house as a 'pumpkin field' and after a few hours (within 6hrs or so since I left them locked down n went to bed), I woke up to find my freshly picked pumpkins all gone

-- the saga continues ...

As you already know, my Dragon loves standing
in Killer Pumpkins

I don't know why he loves to stand in them
Perhaps he wants to use them as foot-muffs
- - to warm his feet? Perhaps.
He simply loves to stand in killer pumpkin corpses.

And TheChocolits : you think you have problems? HAH !
Yours decay in a few hours. Hear this:

Killer Pumpkin corpses decay in under a minute - -
- -and that creates a huge problem for my dragon!

So I took Grandpa Charley aside and talked with him
(afterall it's his farm that grows the paragons)
and told him I cannot explain to the dragon
WHY Killer Pumpkin corpses decay because
I don't know why ..

-- - - Grandpa Charley the Farmer
- - - - doesn't know why either! *sigh*

Yes Kylie Kinslayer .. This thread is like the Energizer Bunny.. keeps going and going and....

..and I don't know why to that either!!
- - goes back to hunting paragon pumpkins hoping for that elusive rare WHITE PARAGON KILLER PUMPKIN CHEST - - but before I do:

Hail Blood Ghoul !!!
ULTIMATE PARAGON PUMPKIN PERSUER Blood Ghoul
"I got 2 paragons this morning..no chest..but still hoping "

Here's wishing you the best of LUCK!! :thumbup:

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I heard the reason they decay is people were collecting them from the fields and locking them down in the homes near the fields thus keeping the fields from respawning. Trying to get control of the mask market. So now they seems to all have about a 3 hour timer if you move them or not.

BG

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

GIVE IT TO THEM !!!
Dear Lady with wisp name Ahuaeyjnkxs: Don't you dare leave or quit or go away or do anything over something so unimportant as a paragon chest ! EA should HIRE YOU!*then we might get the paragon chests. HAHA*

.. where as I am merely a figment of my own imagination and thus disposable, never to be missed *sigh* - -especially if my energizer batteries run out!!! :lol:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a long time I kept remembering words I had read on the first page of this thread. The person who wrote, was describing exactly how I felt and still feel, and that's what inspired me to start posting pictures in here.

Later, when I wanted to quote that post, I could not find it :eyes: .. access was "not available" to Pages 1 and 2. For me they were black voids with no messages --this all started after I began trying to post pictures and before someone pushed the wrong button causing the whole website to crash ...

Today I found that post= Post #14 !!! by guess who?

:dunce:

It fits very well, thanks.

*turns away from corner*

Just sayin' I would be willing to bet we have not seen all they have to offer yet this year. Even if we have, alot of work went into just the Killer Pumpkins artwork and animation, masks etc. Just like in life, we should all be thankful for what we have, and what we get and not spend time dwelling on what we do not have. That's borderling on one of those seven deadlies :)

*goes back to playing in the corner and having fun with what we do have*

So you see, Kylie Kinslayer - -

- -you're at least somewhat responsible for getting myself and others inspired
and fired :flame:up and thus, for the thread running on and on and on ...

- - taking a "think tank" break by myself .. :popcorn:

Went back to hunt for awhile

- -and now

- - - - HE SITS ON THEM!

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Boy... you are in for a rude rude awakening. The pumpkins are BY FAR the most easy to kill of any holiday event creatures. Most Halloweens we got monsters that were boss level (Grim reaper, The one spider, Hellhounds, the thing the yellow crystals summoned). Thanksgiving has the boss level turkeys... all of the story events have boss or super boss level monsters. Events hardly EVERY have content for every play level. Its almost always strictly for groups or people who are uber geared and ready to fight bosses solo.

Actually Halloween is the only event time where there is something to do other than kill a boss monster with 10k hps, since you cant trick or treat, and in previous years you could get the costumes, and collect black cat statues, twilight lanterns, ghoul statues, tattered tapestries, and pumpkin scarecrows by following quest or killing low level monsters. That's why I for one was really disappointed with this year (and last year as well).
See, that's unfortunate. I'm not in for a rude awakening, EA/Mythic/bioware is. Once again (and confirmed by you) they have created an event that is impossible for a new player to participate in.

How could you possibly expect to draw in new players, when they get pwnd by every single mob in the event?

Things need to scale to draw players into the game. I'll revert back to my 'end game'/'item escalation' position, but it's not really relevant to this thread.

Moral: If you want new players, don't trash them, make them suffer and make them feel inadequate when they try to play the game.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

GIVE IT TO THEM !!!
Heh, I already pre-ordered! It remains to be seen if I will subscribe past the first 30 days though....

C

Curmudgeion

Well.. It wasn't too bad. I have had fun collecting pumpkins (but I would have like to have seen a little more). A more rare drop or having masks with players names would have been fun.

While UO has lost some of its luster it still fills an online gaming niche the others fail to do (and most likely will never fill) Thats the ultra rare type of items (that are able to be traded/sold--the entire no drop/bonded idea is crap) and player houses. IMO UO is still the top in those areas.

While right now I feel the game is on cruise control, its still viable if they would inject some cash/effort into it. But as people loose interest more and more will leave and once the profit margin fails to meet a certain level they will combine shards (not sure how even to do this) or just shut down.
Agreed I have always thought if they translated the game to XBox Live like they did with FFXI...you'd see a lot of new blood come to play the game...for one its convenient and two there are no other MMO's besides FFXI on Live. Worst part for them would be converting controls to the game controler. If they did it I think it would do well.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Agreed I have always thought if they translated the game to XBox Live like they did with FFXI...you'd see a lot of new blood come to play the game...for one its convenient and two there are no other MMO's besides FFXI on Live. Worst part for them would be converting controls to the game controler. If they did it I think it would do well.
I am almost ashamed to say it, but this game would also translate very well to the Wii.... The controls are basic enough that the Wii controller with a Nunchuk could do the entire game no problem!

EA has some games on there now, but no good RPGs to speak of.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder why people keep thinking I'm a lady ? In love status ? :)

Anyways, I'm not going to quit UO dear... I only said EA would lose my further business with their other games ; over a paragon chest...

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- - oh gazzooks why am I back in here? - - oh yes .. because: (gotta paste another picture doctored up to meet the cause ..that cause being Ahuaeyjnkxs)

I wonder why people keep thinking I'm a lady ? In love status ? :)
Don't be concerned, Ahuaeymnkxs, about that! Players always confused me with being a man. Because in the earlier days of the game, so many of the men (not all) in here were such *blinkityblank louses* I deleted my female character instantly and created two males. (- -:love: hehe another excuse to post another picture -YAYE oh joy!!)

Lord Jade and Lady Jade with all their masks

and staying on topic - All masks in the picture are
. . . . TheGrimmOmen and Mesanna

- - now back to real life

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this Halloween event was not fun..
the pumpkins are way too easy to kill to keep my interest.. wait 4 or 5 minutes for one to spawn and then its dead in 30 seconds.. i didnt even use a dragon..

i missed out on a few jack o lanterns with my chars name on it last year and i hoped they would be available this year..you cant even keep the jack o lanterns.. they turn into the killer pumpkins :(

i also hoped they continued the conjurer's line of clothing.. :(

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's obviously more important things! Like making other useless skills hardly interesting instead of deleting them or combining them with other useless skills like the most recently revamped fishing... WTF does that even take skill points for? The Halloween event is just evidence of the lack of caring. Remember the poorly tested Mysticism skill? LOL, damnit it's still out of whack, but oh well. Just pile more S*** on the paper pile.. it will eventually tip over again.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad you like them! They were a lot of fun for me to make. As for the other question, that's actually better suited for a designer to answer since that kind of stuff falls outside of my knowledge.

Cheers!
-Grimm

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad you like them! They were a lot of fun for me to make. As for the other question, that's actually better suited for a designer to answer since that kind of stuff falls outside of my knowledge.

Cheers!
-Grimm
Sire - nothing more than your Killer Pumpkins is needed by me. They are quite enough! - it's just over active imaginations that created the hunt for Paragon Chests which aren't going to be but which could be if the designers might decide to do a little tweaking on the side, but sometimes that is best left to the imagination of the players to use what is given and have fun with it! I am having fun! and .. other than that - I wish we could tame them, keep a set in our backpacks as extra bodyguards and/or have them as household pets locked down like ornaments..maybe feed them a magic bullet to bring them to life. :) ( I don't want much do I?) So loads of pictures....

You really did do a great job making them! They are far too nice to have them Decay in the field after the battle is over. *sigh* My dragon thinks so too.

- - back to hunting Killer Pumpkins! OH OH - - - lots happening ..

- - to be continued, of course!

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blinkers alert... :spider: I'll leave it at that, still waiting for paragon chests, and with a unique Grim ART instead of the simple chest !

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got 2 paragons this morning..no chest..but still hoping
-- never ever give up hope! :lol:

Can you believe this? wow

- - combine 3 truths to make a :lie: by an Adobe CSI
- ah so :cool: (that all ryhmes!)

and last, but not least - Art Work at it's best ..

Have you ever seen two Killers attacking each other before ?

TWO BLUES AT YEW
(not a lie)
Animated GrimmOmen Art!

There's no end to this Halloween yet - -

- - - it's back to the hunt I go .. with a camera and a trick ...hoho ho ho

oh but Yes !!! - - this has to be the ULTIMATE idea ! =
Ahuaeujkxs20349980 said:
paragon chests, and with a unique Grim ART instead of the simple chest !

- - blinker's alert=? wonder what that means,
Blinkers on mare? - dragons? - readers? - me? -don't look now? :lol:

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If I ever got a Paragon chest this is the thread I was going to post it. This morning seemed like if it was going to happen it would. My first ever GrimmOmen Paragon Killer Pumpkin.....Didn't even drop a mask..haha

Oh well, after probably 45+ paragons its safe to say they didn't add the chest to the loot table :-(

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Cheers!
-Grimm
Chests or no chests, you still did a good job Grimm!

K

Kayne

Cheers!
-Grimm
Chests or no chests, you still did a good job Grimm!
You sure did Grimm....I even managed to get the clown mask you painted. Now if only I could get the other two. Then I need Supreems 3 and i can relax....Make it happen oh great Ovine oops I mean oh great dev.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I ever got a Paragon chest this is the thread I was going to post it. This morning seemed like if it was going to happen it would. My first ever GrimmOmen Paragon Killer Pumpkin.....Didn't even drop a mask..haha

Oh well, after probably 45+ paragons its safe to say they didn't add the chest to the loot table :-(
There's still time! Halloween's tomorrow!

-- what else could I tell it?
no mask no chest .. Tomorrow

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So you see, Kylie Kinslayer - -

- -you're at least somewhat responsible for getting myself and others inspired
and fired :flame:up and thus, for the thread running on and on and on ...
I am glad my simple post inspired you to bring your adventures to us all. They are even better now that you have figured out posting pics. :)

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- - - - - :spider: HAPPY HALLOWEEN :spider:

:stir:- - mixed up a brew of pictures - -

- - my way to collect and keep Killer Pumpkins!

Have fun - be safe

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I am concerned, what we have now is a good start. And that's all it should be, a start.

For as long as this game has been out, a good start now is really a bit late. GOod start in 1998-99 , ok Ill buy that. Now? No.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- - - - - :spider: HAPPY HALLOWEEN UO !!

- - came back again because -- can't forget Grandpa Charlie ... :spider: