• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Halloween event = lame.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this really all there is going to be for this year's Halloween? There's no challenge to it, it's boring, and the rewards are useless.

Anyone else agree?

Please tell me there is going to be more for this Halloween season. Something that's actually a challenge, with benefits.

T

Trebr Drab

I'm satisfied with it. I would like more of an event sometimes, some sort of a yearly attack by some constant evil pumpkin guy that arises anew each year with different troops. But this is good, entertaining, and well done.

C

canary

Is this really all there is going to be for this year's Halloween? There's no challenge to it, it's boring, and the rewards are useless.

Anyone else agree?

Please tell me there is going to be more for this Halloween season. Something that's actually a challenge, with benefits.
I'm glad that some others may enjoy it, but if this is all there is, it definitely is not up to the standards of halloweens previous.

twoburntfouryou

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huge disappointment. As far as the masks go well not everyone designs thier house to look like it is out of a Rob Zombie movie :(

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the masks are great. The only change is I wish they had put in different rewards for trick or treating, or at least added one. From all the info I've read, it is the same as last year. I love collecting the different types of candy, but I have plenty from last year still.

C

canary

Oh ye of little faith......

:twak:
Yes, Kylie, most of us are aware there is a potential stealing quest that might be part of the Halloween event(s). /eyeroll

Here's your hat (places it on her head):

:mf_prop:

Now go play in your corner.

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As far as I am concerned, what we have now is a good start. And that's all it should be, a start.
We need some new content, like Vampire invasions in every city. Give new loot like new weapons and armor, new collectibles and such. If you clear a city, you get a vending machine type reward dispensing system. For example, double click on the vending machine ans get a Vampire Statuette that reads "I helped free Britain (Trammel) from Vampires - Halloween 2011).

Top it all off on Halloween night with a full scale invasion of witches, zombies, undead, spiders, and demons in every city, including Luna. Turn off Trammel rules on all shards for this night only. Just let all hell break loose!

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Top it all off on Halloween night with a full scale invasion of witches, zombies, undead, spiders, and demons in every city, including Luna. Turn off Trammel rules on all shards for this night only. Just let all hell break loose!
This should be a nightly thing for all of October. But not trammel rules. Just the tram guard zones so the crap wouldn't get guard wacked.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I am concerned, what we have now is a good start. And that's all it should be, a start.
We need some new content, like Vampire invasions in every city. Give new loot like new weapons and armor, new collectibles and such. If you clear a city, you get a vending machine type reward dispensing system. For example, double click on the vending machine ans get a Vampire Statuette that reads "I helped free Britain (Trammel) from Vampires - Halloween 2011).

Where is the "like" button!

I agree with you 100%.

Come on devs, put a little effort into this halloween event!

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its is kind of lame, the killer pumpkins with the masks was a good idea... but i like items that are to scale. Would u hang a mask in your real house that takes up 3/4 of the wall (i know some people would). Last year was kind of lame too... the best part was getting the multi colored cloth and we weren't even suppose to be able to get it.

C

canary

I really love these ideas, fyi... well, until the turn off Trammel rules. I mean, if they want the chaos that bad they can just go to Fel.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
:dunce:

It fits very well, thanks.

*turns away from corner*

Just sayin' I would be willing to bet we have not seen all they have to offer yet this year. Even if we have, alot of work went into just the Killer Pumpkins artwork and animation, masks etc. Just like in life, we should all be thankful for what we have, and what we get and not spend time dwelling on what we do not have. That's borderling on one of those seven deadlies :)

*goes back to playing in the corner and having fun with what we do have*

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Customer service and satisfaction is one of the deadly sins???

LOL I kid... well, kinda.
:D

In a twisted way ... yeah. Alot of the threads here lately are people being envious of what others have. Wanting more than what you do have even in pixel form is coveting, which is a combination of greed and pride. :devil:

Now if ya are just wanting more Halloween Content cause you are bored... then that's a diff ballgame hehe

K

Kiminality

I was hoping for some sort of global event. Something like the quest with the crystals would have been great, or failing that just some sort of invasion of cities or graveyards.
But all I was really holding my breath for was trick or treating to collect some of the fancy coloured cloth.

I am disappoint.
But when all's said and done, I'm just going to keep doing the stuff I was doing before. It's not the first time there's been an event that doesn't interest me, and it won't be the last, so there's not really any point in getting all teary-eyed over it.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay..I might have found something new....

I'm rather creeped out right now lol

I was running around looking for lost items and all of the sudden words appeared over my head

MAKE IT STOP!

No lie....this happen to anyone else????

Grimm....what are you doing?????

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
No...haven't eaten any candy....I don't really like sweets :/

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay..I might have found something new....

I'm rather creeped out right now lol

I was running around looking for lost items and all of the sudden words appeared over my head

MAKE IT STOP!

No lie....this happen to anyone else????

Grimm....what are you doing?????
This happens when you have eaten halloween candy. Has been around for many many years... old.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Umm..yeah I know that ..only problem is I didn't eat any.

I'm on my archer...I don't trick or treat on her and the candy on the killer pumpkins STAYS on the killer pumpkins because 1. I have enough from my begger and 2. Candy doesn't fill you up so I don't eat it.

Only thing I eat on this char is fish steaks :) Her omega 3 fatty acid lvl is pretty high lol.

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
agreed, epic fail!

they could of even brought back the Lich event or teh grim reaper even or even the crystal event (Not with clean up brit) and it would of been a lot of fun for everyone except those worried about item value going down.

Halloween use to be a ton of fun but dont worry I am sure we will se giant turkeys for the 3rd or 4th year straight with nothing new about them. That will raise our spirits.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it seems a few guilds are at it already in greifing..

They fill back packs with the pumpkins on alts and keep them on there selfs so the feild wont respawn..

Or they use horde minions and dont release them, same thing no respawn..
Then theres the pack horse and hide it stunt..
Some people dont know this is on for 30 days plus?

Give it a brake and go do something else please..insted of greifing...

Ah well see how long they can keep it up..

And yes this event is lame so far....the graphics are nice..but dont think it took them more then a week to do..

I hope there is more comming in next few days..
But guess some is beter then none...

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well it seems a few guilds are at it already in greifing..

Give it a brake and go do something else please..insted of greifing...

Ah well see how long they can keep it up..
Sadly most of them can keep griefing 23/7 for months on end lol. It would be nice to have like a 500-600 second timer on the pumpkins that started once they were picked. To where if you did not get them off the server by that time they *poof*. Once you take them off the server area the timer it's self goes away, so folks could lock them and keep if they so desired. Probably would be a pain in the ass to code, but would be great for us pickers. :D

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mim Foxglove, my clumsy old witch double clicking everything , ate her only creepy cake from last year. I didnt think it was possible, but she managed indeed.

P

pgib

I think the pumpkin stuff (which is funny btw) is just a diversion: they are working on the main event and it will be up soon. I'm I too optimistic?

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the pumpkin stuff (which is funny btw) is just a diversion: they are working on the main event and it will be up soon. I'm I too optimistic?
One can only hope, because this pumkin event you can tell took little to no effort on the Devs part.

I mean...who want's to sit in a pumpkin field removing pumpkins in order to fight a 20 second kill monster...and get a useless mask?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably. :(

I sure hope there's something more. I certainly think the killer pumpkin was nicely done, and a nice idea, but at minimum we should get a chance at a killer pumpkin statue or something like that.

Very disappointed if there are in fact no extra trick or treat items, as this would be the first year with nothing new.

I thought last year was kinda a bummer (aside from the cloth witch I still think was just a fluke) since it wasn't very involved especially when compared to the fantastic events we had had the 4 years prior to it, but this would be even more of a let down.

As someone whos favorite holiday is Halloween I really look forward to these events, and while I don't want to sound unappreciative for what we did get, because it's pretty cool, I would indeed by very let down if this was it.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm enjoying this more than last year's jack-o-lantern hunt.

But guess what? A lot of people liked last year. And many appear to like this year.

Would I have preferred an intense, long-ish, Undead-themed, heavily RolePlayed storyline for the season?

Yes. Be it a vampire lord, a zombie invasion, or just a simple "where the Hell are all these killer ghosts coming from."

But had they done that? There would have been complaints.

There have been complaints about every Halloween event I can remember. Too much plot, not enough plot, too much silliness, not enough silliness, too much like last year, not enough like last year, why not just turn on last year's event and slightly tweak rewards, rewards are useless, rewards are overpowering, use deco, don't use deco again or I'll quit.

And indeed the same has been true about every event, Halloween or not, since the game began.

Like most holiday or seasonal content, this year's Halloween content is very much ignorable if you do not like it.

For my own preference? No. This stuff isn't for me.

I'm working it but not very much. It's something to do when nothing else is going on.

But last year's I didn't work at all that I can recall. And a lot of people liked it. Same is true of this one I suspect.

About the same amount of people would have said the same thing about a much more involved, intense Halloween event of my own design, or of anyone's design.

-Galen's player

T

Trebr Drab

I'm enjoying this more than last year's jack-o-lantern hunt.

But guess what? A lot of people liked last year. And many appear to like this year.

Would I have preferred an intense, long-ish, Undead-themed, heavily RolePlayed storyline for the season?

Yes. Be it a vampire lord, a zombie invasion, or just a simple "where the Hell are all these killer ghosts coming from."

But had they done that? There would have been complaints.

There have been complaints about every Halloween event I can remember. Too much plot, not enough plot, too much silliness, not enough silliness, too much like last year, not enough like last year, why not just turn on last year's event and slightly tweak rewards, rewards are useless, rewards are overpowering, use deco, don't use deco again or I'll quit.

And indeed the same has been true about every event, Halloween or not, since the game began.

Like most holiday or seasonal content, this year's Halloween content is very much ignorable if you do not like it.

For my own preference? No. This stuff isn't for me.

I'm working it but not very much. It's something to do when nothing else is going on.

But last year's I didn't work at all that I can recall. And a lot of people liked it. Same is true of this one I suspect.

About the same amount of people would have said the same thing about a much more involved, intense Halloween event of my own design, or of anyone's design.

-Galen's player
Ideally, they'd do both, with the long term Event content done mostly in a few dungeons or unsettled facets so as not to bother players in houses, and maybe with a short term city invasion or two.

arkanos

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only thing I can say: the animations of the killer pumpkins are some of the best I have seen in this game....ever (2D at least - don´t know bout EC).
I know this won´t satisfy anyone here but it certainly was a graphic highlight of UO for me (and I started in 98).

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ideally, they'd do both, with the long term Event content done mostly in a few dungeons or unsettled facets so as not to bother players in houses, and maybe with a short term city invasion or two.
My preference too. (Though I know I emphasized the intense part in my earlier post, know that I am also fully supportive of softer or even silly content.)

But folks would still complain.

My guess is that they decided to do something quick but pretty for Halloween and focused on
upcoming dungeon content

I'm ok with that.

Now I've been clear that my personal preference for Halloween! But the point is complaints will be generated no matter what they do and I find little if anything wrong with the approach they took save that it wasn't my approach.

-Galen's player

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People may have complained in past years, but reception as a whole was much much more positive 2 through 5 years ago.

In fact I would say that some of more recent Halloween events have been some of the best conceived and executed events they have ever done. Both balanced for all player levels and fun to do.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Turn back on the graveyards from 5 years ago.

Let them drop unstackable tokens for the next spring clean.

The more p(l)ayers have to store, the more income EA gets.

R

rottenbeggar

heres something for ye all my cloak and my robe stayed to the color i was tricked with not sure how i done it but i know it was a continious trick or treat and recall to fel and recall back or if it was a glitch ill try to post pic after i finish work maybe y'all should go out and try it hmms

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only thing I can say: the animations of the killer pumpkins are some of the best I have seen in this game....ever (2D at least - don´t know bout EC).
I know this won´t satisfy anyone here but it certainly was a graphic highlight of UO for me (and I started in 98).
Wow! Thanks for that! I'm a fair animator, and I haven't animated a lot of characters for UO, just these pumpkins, last years Werewolf, and the Ancient Hellhounds. Thanks for the kind words, you made my day!!

-Grimm

T

Trebr Drab

My preference too. (Though I know I emphasized the intense part in my earlier post, know that I am also fully supportive of softer or even silly content.)

But folks would still complain.

My guess is that they decided to do something quick but pretty for Halloween and focused on
upcoming dungeon content

I'm ok with that.

Now I've been clear that my personal preference for Halloween! But the point is complaints will be generated no matter what they do and I find little if anything wrong with the approach they took save that it wasn't my approach.

-Galen's player
Cal was pretty definite about Dungeon revamps. And looking at the list of new items we haven't seen yet, I'm really hopeful about some exciting new game play. I just hope the excitement isn't all in the items. I dearly want UO to get back to it's lore and story.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been wanting a Conjurer's Kilt (or skirt) since the spell book & talisman have come out, then the robe in the following year.

The thieves guild quests possibly to come sound interesting.

This halloween is fine so far, but i agree with most of the posts, and hope there is some more added before the end of this event =D

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
the Ancient Hellhounds
Always wondered who did those. THAT is the single best thing I have seen in game ever. They should immediately be made in statue form :D Granted the efferet statue is my favorite atm, that would change rapidly if the Ancient Hellhound one ever hits.

*yeah I have the Australia Day ancient hellhound dyed green thing, but it aint the same*

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I agree 100%

I just sit there and watch them after they die..the blue/orange smoke, the mask face that opens it's mouth and disappears...just amazing.

Grimm...major MAJOR props on that one seriously, the first one I killed I was like OMG THAT IS F....'in AWESOME!!!!

(Yeah I swore, out loud...thankfully I was home alone lol)

Do more of that!!! :)

T

tiggertessa2007

i like the idea of each city being over run by a different ghoul, maybe witches in luna, vampires in umbra...keep the npc's yellow tho and make a mini spawn of things roaming around the cities , on the mini spawns they gold hold item like talisman of the witch. the talisman when worn could give u the ability to walk amongst the witches and trick or treat from them. each group "witches, zombies, werewolves, demons ect.." could have their own very rare trick or treat gift "that dosent have to be aquired thro begging but begging could up ur chances at getting. so here are some examples for Grimm =)

Luna -over run by witches "that are yellow npc's that will attack on sight". have atleast 4 spawners around the city spawning killable witches. give 1 in lets say 20 a talisman that lets the wearer interact with the npc witches. apon wearing this you would be able to interact normally with the witch banker, witch tailor and so on. you would also be able to trick or treat from that specific group. this group would hold one special item that is extremly rare to aquire from trick or treating. witches item could be....a magic broom? i dont think this would be hard to do at all and people could spend all month on something like this.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The unique animations in this game have always fascinated me, starting with the bear scratching behind its ear with a hind foot which first sent me into convulsons .. the detail in that animation is exquisite. The explosive huffy puffy Killer Pumpkin is hillarious. So many sides to it. I enjoy hunting them only because of the animations. I have yet to figure out all the various parts of that Killer Pumpkin. I agree with you, arkanos. Those pumpkin animations are absolutely astonishing!

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! Thanks for that! I'm a fair animator, and I haven't animated a lot of characters for UO, just these pumpkins, last years Werewolf, and the Ancient Hellhounds. Thanks for the kind words, you made my day!!

-Grimm
:bowdown: I always wonder who is behind various unique animations in UO. So it's great to learn you are behind the creation of such a great animation. Hello Grimm! I too applaud the incredibly creative animation of your Killer Pumpkin! Such fun to watch .. if it doesn't kill me while I study how it behaves. So funny when you bump into it or get close or have it chase after your character.

-- when I cast invis on self to get Killer Pumpkin out of its attack mode, it stops, crouches and sits there for a bit, before getting up and wandering off in display of smoke and fire all lit up. So interesting to watch. Moody thing! :lol: Yes you deserve applause for this character!

-

rareitem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Anyone else agree?

OMG We are only at Begining of October and you are complaining of an event that didnt even start yet, for your information Halloween starts at 30 October not at 30 September

P

Prince Caspian

For many, many years in UO, we got nothing at all for Halloween. The first Halloween event didn't even happen until 2005 or so.

So don't look a gift Nightmare in the mouth. If you think it blows, don't participate. Go about your game like you do all the other months. In short, don't waste your time if you are so dissatisfied.

Me, I think the pumpkins were a nice twist on the Pumpkin Farming, which has remained essentially the same for several years. The total same stuff for Trick or Treating was a bit disappointing, but I'm still gonna hit up Britannians for candy. It's still fun for me. :)

As for "Is that all???" folks -- the devs made hints that something special was up their sleeve for this Old Hallow's Eve. I have faith in them, given their work over the years. I think more is to come.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:bowdown: I always wonder who is behind various unique animations in UO. So it's great to learn you are behind the creation of such a great animation. Hello Grimm! I too applaud the incredibly creative animation of your Killer Pumpkin! Such fun to watch .. if it doesn't kill me while I study how it behaves. So funny when you bump into it or get close or have it chase after your character.

-- when I cast invis on self to get Killer Pumpkin out of its attack mode, it stops, crouches and sits there for a bit, before getting up and wandering off in display of smoke and fire all lit up. So interesting to watch. Moody thing! :lol: Yes you deserve applause for this character!

-
Thanks, again, very much appreciated. I would like to point out that as well as the animations turned out, our desigers made them work and behave properly in game. Thanks, guys!

-Grimm