• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gypsy wagons for players

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
That would be icing on the cake, but could be a deal breaker. "Moving" them would mean one of two things. 1-They are "ridable" (and that's pretty much been ruled out). 2-"Dry-docking" them (like boats) requires the hold to be empty (since you can only hold so much in your pack)... I don't think they'll even consider that one.

While it would be nice to be able to move them with whatever they're holding, I think that would be asking too much of them. I believe the only way they would consider taking the time to code Gypsy Wagons, is if it doesn't require a massive amount of time to code. Borrowing much of the code they already have in place for boats, however, could make it a distinct possibility.
Just thinking outloud here, but why can't a blue beetle be used as the code for the Gypsy wagon, but just change the physical model of it? Instead of riding on top of the beetle, you ride in the front seat of the wagon. You would never be able to actually enter the inside of the wagon, but you would have the movable storage.

It seems simple, but simple usually never is.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Just thinking outloud here, but why can't a blue beetle be used as the code for the Gypsy wagon, but just change the physical model of it? Instead of riding on top of the beetle, you ride in the front seat of the wagon. You would never be able to actually enter the inside of the wagon, but you would have the movable storage.

It seems simple, but simple usually never is.
For movable storage I'm sure that would work. But that would eliminate other hoped-for functions, such as being able to craft from it. If it was just storage and/or transportation, I think the role play value (the initial concept) would be very much diminished.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm wondering if it would be feasible to have a gypsy wagon function like an enhanced garden shed deed. It would look like a gypsy wagon, have s shed's storage capacity, but could be entered and logged out in. There could be several styles to choose from -- (1) a cook's wagon, with an in-ground campfire that works as a regular oven - and a functional bucket of water of course, (2) a crafter's wagon, with mini-forge/anvil combo, or (3) a plain wagon for non-crafting role play folk. The inside would be just for shelter and logging out in... not able to be redecorated like a real house.

If all else was too complicated to code, I'd personally settle for number 3.

Last edited:

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hi Old Gypsy.. I just wondered if you have received any news about weather or not they are going to make the wagons? I know you really wanted one. If not maybe there is a way to make a look alike one on a roof just to have a resemblance of one. I wish the best of luck to you on your idea. If you ask me I think it was a brilliant idea to start off with.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is a great idea and they should implement it!

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Old Gypsy.. I just wondered if you have received any news about weather or not they are going to make the wagons? I know you really wanted one. If not maybe there is a way to make a look alike one on a roof just to have a resemblance of one. I wish the best of luck to you on your idea. If you ask me I think it was a brilliant idea to start off with.
Hi Katt - glad to see you here in this thread... It's a long one, but if you take the time to browse thru it, you'll see all the beautiful possibilities that Old Gypsy's vision of a Gypsy Wagon could be in game...
Imagine a Moonglow gathering of friends from all over for the weekend's activities... Gypsy Wagons in a big circle, picnic tables set up, reds at 2am... I mean, the possibilities for player interaction are virtually unlimited. We do know that they have considered it, and I have done the official post in the Ask The Dev forum, which, as yet it has not been answered (which simply means they it's under consideration)...

So spread the word with links to here so we can keep this as the hot topic it deserves to be - on UHall until we get what we want.... :danceb:

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Thank you. I'm so glad you like the idea! Sadly, not even a whisper has reached my ears. If the idea is even being considered, no one seems to be saying anything about it. :(

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For movable storage I'm sure that would work. But that would eliminate other hoped-for functions, such as being able to craft from it. If it was just storage and/or transportation, I think the role play value (the initial concept) would be very much diminished.
Still falling short, but if the basic idea of the blue beetle as a mobile storage is possible with just a revised graphic, a fire beetle as a 'forge wagon' should also be fairly straightforward... it's the other crafting items that are awkward, I guess, since there's nothing already 'mobile' that can work for those :(

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Still falling short, but if the basic idea of the blue beetle as a mobile storage is possible with just a revised graphic, a fire beetle as a 'forge wagon' should also be fairly straightforward... it's the other crafting items that are awkward, I guess, since there's nothing already 'mobile' that can work for those :(
I don't think that it would be that difficult to add the other properties onto wagons. They already have properties in game like the oven. It is just a piece of deco but they have added the property to it to allow it to be used like a campfire. They can modify almost anything to be used like that. They could add that property to a chair, a totem, pretty much anything so it would not be difficult to add it to a wagon. I think the main hang up is the graphics. They may have to make new graphics to make the wagon.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...... I think the main hang up is the graphics. They may have to make new graphics to make the wagon.
Much of the concept art work has been done, and could easily be modified. And, being the land version of a boat that is not mobile (by mobile I mean you can't get on and ride it down the road), so they don't even have to make any of the graphics animate.

Here's their start from years ago.....

And like I noted earlier, if a greater dragon can take up but a single tile, then a gypsy wagon should certainly fit on a single tile. Just force you to have a tile free on all 4 sides (like a house) in order to plop it down (like some deco items in your house), and you're good to go.....

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok folks... It's been a while now since I posted the formal request for our Gypsy Wagon in the Ask The Dev forum (Dec 30th), and since Broadsword seems to be reaching out to us - that I've taken DeadBob's advice and sent them an email. Since there's nothing especially private in it, I'm posting it below. I'll let you know of any response here in our Gypsy Wagon thread.
Hail Broadsword and the UO Dev team,

We know you're spending most your time getting Vendor Search out the door and working (and thanks so much for it), but when you do finish that - we respectfully request that you give serious consideration to the concept of a NON_ROLLING version of the Gypsy Wagon that many of us have discussed in this thread.

I put a formal request into the Ask The Devs forum at UHall where you can read what we've come up with that might make it easier to do than first glance. We respectfully request that you give it consideration as a wonderful way to get more players to become active in groups both large and small, and make better use of our great Sosarian landscape.

Thanks for all you do, and here's hoping all the best for you and us...

Respectfully,
Startle on Stratics and lots of other old players (and new ones too).

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Startics been around for a looooonng time. Here is a tool in touch with the players views. Well at least the ones that can pry themselves from the game to read and post. The true fanatics come to stratics when taking a break from UOs daily grind instead of another game. Most just to have a hope in being a voice that is heard. Others come to Stratics to be a droning backround humm to defend their dark ways. Now it Broadsword cannot come here and have a voice do we really want them as caretakers. How many players will be left behind that don't want to travel down a new stomped out path? UOGuide a creation out of need to a more user friendly deeper information in a more timely fashion when Stratics didn't keep up with the times and needs of players. They want to to get the pulse on players then they need to come to the mountain. Issue them some usernames with a Broadsword banner and come join the drum circle. Then they can show a care for UO more then the guy that changes the tires on my truck cares about it. Then Broadsword can take a page from Mesanna and show face through an avatar or three. Word of mouth across the lands about good deeds carry faster then the written word.

Oh, and on the wagon ideal I may have posted once or twice already above. Untill someone can explain why a Buc's Den gates on roads cannot solve the XYZ axis problem with land boat wagons. I have no new thoughts.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(paraphrased boo broadsword)
You do realize that broadsword is the same physical people right? They still participate on the fourms here and still want our ideas and answers. They just now have the ability to start making changes. Give them a moment to sort out all the legal and personal issues it takes to absorb an entire company and get back on track.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You do realize that broadsword is the same physical people right? They still participate on the fourms here and still want our ideas and answers. They just now have the ability to start making changes. Give them a moment to sort out all the legal and personal issues it takes to absorb an entire company and get back on track.
Aye, anyone desiring immediate and meaningful changes in the first few months is foolish. This is huge for Broadsword and not something that they take lightly. UO is 50% of what they do now, so they care. Give them some time...

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok folks... It's been a while now since I posted the formal request for our Gypsy Wagon in the Ask The Dev forum (Dec 30th), and since Broadsword seems to be reaching out to us - that I've taken DeadBob's advice and sent them an email. Since there's nothing especially private in it, I'm posting it below. I'll let you know of any response here in our Gypsy Wagon thread.
Pot ------ Kettle. Next time I'll throw a bunch of "I hope"s in there so less in between the lines can be read. Yes they have a pool of old schoolers in Broadsword. I HOPE they have learned something in all this time about player interaction.

And on topic. When they float the tigers as a tame it would be cool the first wheeled ride was a tigers pulling a chariot.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wonder what it would cost to have an EM "build" one of the static models? 3000 wood, 200 ingots, 100 leather, a bale of cotton, 100 cut cloth......

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the idea.. but it would have to be coded carefully.. If I was out in the deep woods lumberjacking and I saw a gypsy wagon go by me at top speed ignoring trees it just wouldn't look right.. It would have to be limited to roads or gathering grounds..

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I love the idea.. but it would have to be coded carefully.. If I was out in the deep woods lumberjacking and I saw a gypsy wagon go by me at top speed ignoring trees it just wouldn't look right.. It would have to be limited to roads or gathering grounds..
Yes, coding would be crucial. Many of the previous posts contain some suggestions about that. I think it's been established that the wagon could not be a mode of transportation (but would have be packed up and moved by the owner to a different location within a set period of time to prevent decay). Also, to prevent griefing, it could not be placed in any spot where a house could fit.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Ludes - Great to see you made it to one of the most elite staffs around.....

When you get bored sometime, take a cruise thru this whole thread.

We've really kicked around what might and might not be possible for the dev's to do, and it seems possible for sure. I know the rp and event gathering opportunities that the Gypsy Wagon concept would present would be simply GREAT for the game. (Some of the ideas in that regard, here in this thread, are wonderful!)...

Here's what we've come up with - in the words of our own "old gypsy":

I share your concerns. We do not want to ask for too much. Basically, I'm down to what I posted previously:

1. The gypsy wagon should be smaller than 7x7.
2. It cannot be placed in any spot where a regular house would fit.
3. It is not mobile (not a means of transportation).
4. It should be "livable", in that you can enter it and log out in it.
5. Ideally, the owner could chose a specialized wagon (for crafting or cooking, etc.)
6. It should have very limited storage -- no more than bank box size.
7. It should decay at a steady rate. However, to prevent it from being used as a permanent home site, instead of being refreshed, it should have to be moved by the end of the decay cycle. This will further reduce any possibilities of abuse.
8. Only one wagon per account.
I think this would go a long way toward preventing exploitation or abuse, yet would provide a useful wagon that could be a great game addition for all players who wish to use it (and I believe many would).

Devs, I sincerely hope you'll revisit the request and try to make it happen for us.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
MAKES USIN GYPSY WAGONS PLUZE
WONDERS IFIN WEE COULD BUILD USINS OWN WAGON?
WELL YOOS KIN BUILD , MEEES BADZ AT DAT STUFFS

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I just don't understand why it would be such a problem. As long as the wagon would not be a mode of transportation, would be smaller than the smallest house (and unable to be placed where any normal house would fit), and would have to be moved frequently, it seems to me it would not be that difficult to implement for the game.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just don't understand why it would be such a problem. As long as the wagon would not be a mode of transportation, would be smaller than the smallest house (and unable to be placed where any normal house would fit), and would have to be moved frequently, it seems to me it would not be that difficult to implement for the game.
I haven't forgotten this either, old gypsy, and now that they are in Broadsword's hands I think it certainly possible. I have the feeling that their tables are full right now with the coming massive loot revamp, the VvV system, and more.
I haven't forgotten the possibilities that our Gypsy Wagon holds - I'm just giving them some breathing room right now... ;)

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny/sad how fast users here jump all over pvp/classic shard/factions talk and immediately labels it a "dead horse." But this stupid thread (along with vet reward/holiday gift ideas) can come back a million times and people just love to repeat themselves.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is all in one single thread (not multiple threads) and people aren't arguing about things or bashing each other. Most things that you have brought up have numerous threads posted because previous ones were locked. One might even say you are trolling or stirring the pot. Just saying.....

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all in one single thread (not multiple threads) and people aren't arguing about things or bashing each other. Most things that you have brought up have numerous threads posted because previous ones were locked. One might even say you are trolling or stirring the pot. Just saying.....
There are numerous threads b/c the mods lock every thread that broach the topic. This thread has been going on for two years, it's not happening. Why isn't this thread locked and deemed pointless as well?

Just trying to highlight the biased nature of what UO considers its main site.

If you want to consider criticism trolling be my guest but in the end it's just damaging to the game.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well the bias must be that the posters in this thread don't bash each other and call each other names. There is no drama over which client is better, there is no calling people trammies or pk'ers , there is no arguing over whether factions are gimped or FOM. There is a repeated request for the developers to add a movable storage gypsy wagon.

Threads are not locked unless people are not playing nice or it is the 100th thread on the same topic. You will not find multiple threads on Gypsy wagons because the people who want one keep the same thread, this thread, going with new posts every few weeks. I am sorry that you feel slighted but as you said in another thread, no one is making you read it.

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you ask me it takes a long time to come up with a design that will support this, We just have to have hope, for now lets just keep dreaming, In a few days Im gonna make a gypsy wagon out of decorations inside my house. It is never ever impossible. We just have to keep this thread lively and show that we are very interested! Cmon guys! Lets show people that we want this! Who's with me?!

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are just so many ways this could be a boon to players, and the role play possibilities excite me most of all! :)

Note: It would be kind of cool if the deed could only be purchased from a vendor at a gypsy camp.
Okay, it's after 2 a.m. and the idea may be the result of sleep deprivation, but I'm posting it anyway. Since we already have gypsy wagons in UO (and they have a very small footprint) I think it would be a really nice optional addition for players. To keep it from becoming a problem for anyone, restrictions would be necessary. So far, this is what I've envisioned:

- Each account over a year old could purchase a gypsy wagon (one per account - not per character - although like ships, any character on the same account could use it).

- It should be slightly smaller than a 7x7 and could be placed ONLY in areas where other houses wouldn't fit (and reasonably far away from currently placed houses). This way it would not interfere with or prevent normal house placement for other players.

- It would have the same storage capacity as a small classic ship. and like a small ship, it could be emptied, placed in your pack and moved to another location when you're ready to move. I think it would be a fun addition that might appeal to many players who might not want all their characters to share the same house or remain in the same area for long periods of time.

Any other thoughts on this?
A gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight
The sky is starlit and the time is right

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Inspiration is always good. Thank you, Speranza.

Unfortunately, it looks like it isn't going to happen. :(

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What makes you say that, old gypsy?
Probably frustration since a dev hasn't responded in a long time. It's too bad because this thread has some awesome ideas for it. :(

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The gods have been very busy these past months, with the move to Broadsword/loot revamp/VvV/graphics/etc... I have not given up hope by any means, and will continue to ask for this.
Here's more images to keep us busy dreaming, while the gods finish the bigger stuff they're currently working on.

The RP possibilities are virtually endless...........

Traveling the road to Vesper....

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What makes you say that, old gypsy?
Lack of interest on the part of "the gods" I suppose.

I'm still hanging on in a way. One of my RP characters has left home to live the gypsy life, even if she doesn't have a wagon to call her own. "Have bedroll, will travel" is her new saying. But I'm afraid she will never be happy without the snug, portable shelter she dreams about.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm wondering if it would be feasible to have a gypsy wagon function like an enhanced garden shed deed. It would look like a gypsy wagon, have s shed's storage capacity, but could be entered and logged out in. There could be several styles to choose from -- (1) a cook's wagon, with an in-ground campfire that works as a regular oven - and a functional bucket of water of course, (2) a crafter's wagon, with mini-forge/anvil combo, or (3) a plain wagon for non-crafting role play folk. The inside would be just for shelter and logging out in... not able to be redecorated like a real house.

If all else was too complicated to code, I'd personally settle for number 3.
garden shed on wheels wood look goos fer a gypsy wagon