• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gypsy wagons for players

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
* Hoping Kyronix will talk to us further about this*...
Basically a non-customizable gypsy wagon/home with a smaller footprint than a 7x7, with various placement restrictions as discussed previously, and able to be easily redeeded and moved to a different spot. Also refreshable, like a ship. *crosses fingers*

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I think that Kyronix already put the kabash on it being mobile. Too many coding hurdles (unless they just gave it the code of a blue beetle and increased the storage a bit - but even that has it's hurdles, coding wise).
No, I think most all would be perfectly happy with it being considered a "mini house" and subject to most the same rules. And like I said, if you already have a house - then allow one per account and let us take some of our house storage away from our main house (up to some reasonable limit, like 300 items or something)... Bottom line is that asking for it to be truly mobile (as in actually riding in one like a horse) would break the deal.

Just give it "Gypsy House" status on the housing menu.... * Hoping Kyronix will talk to us further about this*...

oh ok - Do you need the Camping skill to erect it? lol Storage, Shape and Design based on Skill level?

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking it could just be placed like a boat - be persistant (so it wouldn't take up a house slot and you could leave it there), couldn't be placed in a guard zone, and wasn't mobile. And you could "redeed" it and place it somewhere else.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean it WOULD take up a house slot (for some reason the edit function won't work right for me). So it would be a mobile moving crate for all intents and purposes with very limited actual space.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I was thinking it could just be placed like a boat - be persistant (so it wouldn't take up a house slot and you could leave it there), couldn't be placed in a guard zone, and wasn't mobile. And you could "redeed" it and place it somewhere else.
A crucial part is that it would serve as a temporary home away from home where you would actually live inside (on a smaller scale of course, with reduced storage). Then if you want to move it to a different location or put it away and store it, you just pack up and go - kind of like the end of a camping trip.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I mean it WOULD take up a house slot (for some reason the edit function won't work right for me). So it would be a mobile moving crate for all intents and purposes with very limited actual space.
Maybe this link might help explain what I had in mind when I said "livable"... http://tinyhousetalk.com/roulottes-gypsy-caravan-tiny-house/ ... I love the RL concept of the tiny house movement and think it would be just as cool in UO, however modified. :D

Here's a RL gypsy caravan (I like to think this guy might have loved UO if he wasn't so allergic to modern technology):

Last edited:

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, Startle, you explain things so much better than I do! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :thumbsup:
This looks like a portable outhouse!! On another note, if the wagon has storage capabilities, would you have to MT items from the wagon before you axe it for a move?

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This looks like a portable outhouse!! On another note, if the wagon has storage capabilities, would you have to MT items from the wagon before you axe it for a move?
I would expect the crescent moon in that particular illustration can be replaced by a proper door. :)

You'd have to remove stored items, like we do with ships we want to dry dock.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Just daydreaming, so I hope people will bear with me and not mind my adding another post to the thread.

Most people who are acquainted with me as a player are aware of what keeps me here in UO after all these years. Basically, I'm still here due to nostalgia (started in '98) and a desire to help keep a measure of role play alive in my own small (and very laid-back) way.

With the possible addition of an in-game vendor search in the near future, I'm imagining a little more traffic returning to the roads and byways throughout the land. It's so easy for me to imagine setting up a little gypsy camp/wagon along paths most traveled. Perhaps a crafter could choose a wagon specifically designed for offering services to travelers. Perhaps a cook could choose a wagon designed to enable him or her to offer food and drink to weary adventurers that pass by. There are various possibilities, all of which might allow and encourage more interaction between players, whether or not they are active role players. Again, just daydreaming.

I'll be quiet now. Thanks for listening.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
gyspy camps in ish habes wagons would not be hard fer usins to get them???
WEEE WANTS DEM

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I want to role play a half goblin half tall outcast who libes in da wuds and carries her stuffs wif her eberywheres. Dis would gibe me at least a home fer my head please sirs dat make games for mees.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The wagon being placed in areas too small for housing would be awesome! Extra storage and awesome decoration!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
to edit click edit then more options that will bring up the text for you to edit your post.

Colgarra

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
....With the possible addition of an in-game vendor search in the near future, I'm imagining a little more traffic returning to the roads and byways throughout the land. It's so easy for me to imagine setting up a little gypsy camp/wagon along paths most traveled. Perhaps a crafter could choose a wagon specifically designed for offering services to travelers. Perhaps a cook could choose a wagon designed to enable him or her to offer food and drink to weary adventurers that pass by. There are various possibilities, all of which might allow and encourage more interaction between players,whether or not they are active role players.....
The wagon being placed in areas too small for housing would be awesome! Extra storage and awesome decoration!
I love these ideas. Perhaps the easiest way to get it coded might be the boat option. That way it wouldn't have to be related to a home. Give us the ability to plop one down in an open, flat spot of land that isn't large enough for the smallest house. Make it decay like a boat.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Treat it like a boat in the sense that it could be "placed" wherever there's a flat spot.... That may be a good solution. ;)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was something we talked about when working on the garden shed and toyed with idea of free range garden sheds. Ultimately it was decided to restrict them to housing due to some of the challenges with getting storage to work outside of a house, and also the issue with placing these in the world and any griefing that may be the result. .....
Wish Kyronix would comment further here. Boats have storage and can be placed on most waters. Couldn't most of the code come from that? If you can set a container on the ground, why not a Gypsy Wagon? Just give it a longer decay time and make it accessible only by the owner... Take into consideration its footprint and let her rip!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like the idea of gypsy wagons...however....look at how much damage one griefing gargoyle can do to an event and even city election with their wings, now imagine 10 gypsy wagons all parked around every city governor stone preventing people from seeing or reaching the stone....plus all the other events they could invade with them.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea of gypsy wagons...however....look at how much damage one griefing gargoyle can do to an event and even city election with their wings, now imagine 10 gypsy wagons all parked around every city governor stone preventing people from seeing or reaching the stone.....

Two things come to mind:
1 - Dumping a concept that the vast majority of players would love to see, simply because of the few that will no doubt use it in annoying ways - is a sellout. Nothings perfect, so let's get on with the fun.
2 - The code is already there for a 1 tile perimeter around many things. Done.

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's try and weigh the benefits that Gypsy Wagons could bring to almost everyone - in all the many exciting ways we've already discussed here - against whatever piddly griefing that would occasionally take place - and I say DO IT DEV'S... You know you want to.... And both of us know it can be done, it's just a matter of finding the best approach with what we have to work with... So work with us... Let's approach this together, without breaking any top secret code of silence....
If it can't be done, then it can't be done. But please let us in on the deliberations. You can do that, right? Hmm... If something can't be done, at least allow us to ask why. We do need each other - for either our gaming pleasure or our gainful employment - right? I assume we all fall into one of those two categories. What we have in common is that we all want UO to succeed...
Work with us... :cool:

Last edited:

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This ideal is very promising. My concerns would be how this would go over in fel. I play mostly on siege and it would be pretty awesome to have a group of these pull into town selling thier wares. I do think an animal should be attacth, correct me if i'm wrong but weren't these traditionally pulled by donkey or mule? It could be like a pack horse and kept in the stable. i'm not so sure on how well this being like a house (being able to logout there). It seems that the ability to log out anywhere could be an issue. Also think of someone placing one of these outside of a dungeon then logging out; Thus blocking the dungeon... They might not move it ever........

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a really cool idea, and that existing artwork is freakin awesome! (what do you people have against outhouses anyway??? I would totally place an outhouse addon!)

There would obviously have to be limits on where it could be placed. You couldn't place it in a walkway or road, you couldn't place it in front of a cave/dungeon entrance. But hey, those are restricted in house placement anyway, so no problems there? Perhaps for RP reasons, gypsy wagons are not allowed in town (even though I can think of several towns with nice grassy unused areas that a camp could be set up in)

What I would like to see is the ability to use these regardless of house ownership rules. I play siege now, and will stay there, but I see that shard-hopping is a play-style now, and I can appreciate that. It would make it more fun if you could take your gypsy wagon with you, or buy one when you get there, for your home away from home!

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
...There would obviously have to be limits on where it could be placed. You couldn't place it in a walkway or road, you couldn't place it in front of a cave/dungeon entrance. But hey, those are restricted in house placement anyway, so no problems there? Perhaps for RP reasons, gypsy wagons are not allowed in town (even though I can think of several towns with nice grassy unused areas that a camp could be set up in)
In addition to present restrictions, I'd suggest that the wagon could not be placed in any area where a 7x7 or larger house could fit. That would prevent it from being used to grief folks trying to place a house. Requiring the wagon to be refreshed like a ship would also help prevent abuses. I don't see how the gypsy wagon could fail to be a good thing for players! :)

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In addition to present restrictions, I'd suggest that the wagon could not be placed in any area where a 7x7 or larger house could fit. That would prevent it from being used to grief folks trying to place a house. Requiring the wagon to be refreshed like a ship would also help prevent abuses. I don't see how the gypsy wagon could fail to be a good thing for players! :)
Not guardzone areas, but maybe in areas where housing can not be created here like some areas in malas. Players could set up gypsy carvan camps for roleplaying in these areas

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Not guardzone areas, but maybe in areas where housing can not be created here like some areas in malas. Players could set up gypsy carvan camps for roleplaying in these areas
Definitely not in guard zones. However, they need not be restricted to Malas [pardon my bias, but I much prefer the original lands]. There are many roads in Britannia, heavily traveled back in the day, and along these roads leading from city to city there are lovely little spots where a gypsy wagon might tarry for a while.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Definitely not in guard zones. However, they need not be restricted to Malas [pardon my bias, but I much prefer the original lands]. There are many roads in Britannia, heavily traveled back in the day, and along these roads leading from city to city there are lovely little spots where a gypsy wagon might tarry for a while.
sorry didnt mean only malas. I know theres other areas like that in fel and tram malas was just an example

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think this is a really unique idea. And since you came up with it I think the Gypsy wagon should be named after your Character... although I may not know who you are! :) Anyhow now if we can just get the people to create the wagon... *imagines a customizable wagon and a choice of what horses you could have on it* Would it not be awesome to customize your own wagon and pick what horses you can ride? What about it also being a way of transportation? This would be really awesome!!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

QFE!!

Lai Tash

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
No, please no one year old requirements! Better the camping requirement, like GM camping and ye got yer wagon. It's just too many things availible for older accounts only already and sometimes it feels like playing trial.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, please no one year old requirements! Better the camping requirement, like GM camping and ye got yer wagon. It's just too many things availible for older accounts only already and sometimes it feels like playing trial.

I have no way of knowing what they might do or not do, but if the Gypsy Wagon is treated like a boat (which might be the easiest code to modify) then it'll be like boats - anyone can own one! This item has such a vast RP potential, that I would be willing to bet that it will be available to ALL... ;)

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have no way of knowing what they might do or not do, but if the Gypsy Wagon is treated like a boat (which might be the easiest code to modify) then it'll be like boats - anyone can own one! This item has such a vast RP potential, that I would be willing to bet that it will be available to ALL... ;)
True, although I am thinking it should be one per account to help avoid problems. I would also hope that they will differ from boats in a very important way -- we can live in them, like a tiny-tiny house, and log out in them, unlike boats.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
True, although I am thinking it should be one per account to help avoid problems. I would also hope that they will differ from boats in a very important way -- we can live in them, like a tiny-tiny house, and log out in them, unlike boats.
That would be great for people who want to play another shard but cannot place a house.

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was glancing over this thread and had a really cool thought. In line with those who mentioned the camping skill.

A player can set up camp while in dungeons. This would give them the ability to store additional items, make repairs, and carry resources, I also feel its important that you can stable pets at this location.

Really great example. - Being able to stay in dungeons longer - DOOM/felucca dungeons/ilshnar - anywhere you cannot freely recall in and out of. Since the camps would not be mobile, you could claim your packhorses to carry your loot when you are finished. Storage space, pets you can hold, and perhaps even repairs could somehow scale with your camping skill, maybe even the max duration your encampment can last. This would also add a new element in felucca - when a player has a camp, they would at some point need to carry everything back out of where they were farming, giving enemies ample oppurtunity to attack them ,and allies tons of fun protecting the "caravan" . I do however think that pack animals from camps should be stronger because a packhorse dies in about 1 spell or swing. I think a new creature with high hitpoints, armorable, that CANNOT ATTACK, but only follow and store, unridable, would be a good choice. I am also really tired so some of this might not be very coherent.

:>

Colgarra

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was glancing over this thread and had a really cool thought. In line with those who mentioned the camping skill.

A player can set up camp while in dungeons. This would give them the ability to store additional items, make repairs, and carry resources, I also feel its important that you can stable pets at this location.

Really great example. - Being able to stay in dungeons longer - DOOM/felucca dungeons/ilshnar - anywhere you cannot freely recall in and out of. Since the camps would not be mobile, you could claim your packhorses to carry your loot when you are finished. Storage space, pets you can hold, and perhaps even repairs could somehow scale with your camping skill, maybe even the max duration your encampment can last. This would also add a new element in felucca - when a player has a camp, they would at some point need to carry everything back out of where they were farming, giving enemies ample opportunity to attack them ,and allies tons of fun protecting the "caravan" . I do however think that pack animals from camps should be stronger because a packhorse dies in about 1 spell or swing. I think a new creature with high hitpoints, armorable, that CANNOT ATTACK, but only follow and store, unridable, would be a good choice. I am also really tired so some of this might not be very coherent.

:>

I'd say you're exceedingly coherent, Nax - with some enchanting concepts... But at the same time, I'd rather we didn't just overwhelm the dev's with even more to try and piece together. Besides, I'm guessing that all of their resources, at the moment, are focused on Vendor Search and will no doubt continue to be into the future a bit - till it's finally done. In the meantime, this would be a great place to continue to strategize on what we might be able to convince the dev's to do regarding the Gypsy Wagon concept...

I think we've agreed so far that asking for these to be "ridable" as on a beetle, or even "towable" (same beetle) is not realistic given terrain restrictions. Kyronix himself pretty much has laid that one to rest, and to bring that up again would surely be beating a dead horse...

We've discussed treating a Gypsy Wagon as just another type of "house", but there are serious issues in terms of the housing code as it is and extending that to Gypsy Wagon's.... Besides, the best places there are in all of Sosaria to park a Gypsy Wagon or have a Gypsy Camp - are rarely in areas of housing anyway...

We've also discussed treating Gypsy Wagons as the terrestrial version of a boat, which seems to me to be the easiest approach - coding wise. The boat code is very flexable in the sense that you can "place" a boat almost anywhere, on any shore of a body of water that will accept one, so that same basic flexability could be used to "place" a Gypsy Wagon on land as long as there is flat ground in the small area of the wagon. And there are many, many wonderful places in Sosaria for that. I mean - if one goal here is to get people out and about, right?
I really think that this could be the most perfect vehicle (um, you know what I mean) for that purpose. Imagine a Gypsy Caravan on that great stretch of beach just WNW of the Honor Shrine.... I mean, you could plan a yearly event - or monthly - where your small or large group could get together with your Gypsy Wagons and all live from there for a day or a week, next to each other.... It's like the neighbors you always wished you had... Wow...

So then, if we ARE to be able to actually LIVE in one (and that is completely doable between the housing code and the boat code, it's not that big a stretch) - then what should the footprint be for this Gypsy Wagon home? It must be smaller than 7x7, and I'm thinking 4x4 might be a good number.... What do you guys think?

And what sort of storage would it have? I think we have to be modest in our demands here... Unless, of course, they decided to go as far as to let us take storage from our real house to use for a Gypsy Wagon, but again - I have no idea what that might take, current code given...
I think maybe 350 items/350 stones might be a fair start.... Or is that too low?

Ok, your turn........

Last edited: