• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Define "Classic Shard"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AesSedai

Oohhh...
Forgot about the "classic" version of macing. Not sure if it was mentioned already or not.

But the classic version of macing was complete destruction of armor/cloths. A mace would literally burn away the durability really fast on your opponents armor/cloths.

That was one of the reasons I created a macer pre-aos, hehe.
- <Me too. :)

It was a good time for macing yet, to me it is not a good reason for adding a classic shard (due to maintanence & other sundry obscurities imo).
The future should be focused, and not diverted from the potential that UO still has ~ develop and improve the foundation that exists , before trying to add more... for, truly, how full can a plate become?

L

Lady_Mina

UO could be the bomb , cause it offers a lot of depth and true pvp.

Unlike level-based games where you spend HOURS on one level.
Not to mention you're pretty much stuck with the 'race' and 'class' you choose , unless you reroll.

the pvp in UO is very unique...it's not like WoW...where you pick an undead rogue and kidney shot and blind the hell out of people and keep them dazed for the whole battle and that's your pvp...it's no fun , it's no challenge that way.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its obvious that those who are against it do not realize that if UO/mythic cant afford the resources then the whole idea would not even have been mentioned to the public, once they realize this then its just a matter of not playing the shard, thats it. rolleyes:

P

It seems like there are a lot of very good reasons for why UO should have a classic shard, so it only seems logical that it be done. Does that mean it will happen? No. Hopefully they will say more about it in the near future so we aren't so broad in our speculations.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Sigh...

...I have tried to stay out of this for the most part, but really, I can't.

Any "Classic" UO shard really needs to start from day 1. Call it a "do over". Imagine the fun you, as devs, could have re-exploring what could have been. There are so few chances in life to 'go back', but here you have a unique chance to do just that.

To those against it:

Just ignore it. You have your latest expansion. You have your custom house. You have your neon items. You have your billion gold. Just do what you have been doing for the last 4-8 years...don't worry about it. It will be just like all those other shards you don't play on the shard list at log it. It has nothing to do with you.

But for those of us that remember what UO was:

Ditch your present shard, come back to what this game was. Let's do it right this time. Let's not allow the PKs to take over. Let's find a way to control the expansion of housing. Let's create player towns again. Let's "Create Worlds" the way the original designers envisioned...and let's never allow our game, our world, to be tainted by item based, artificial, constraints ever again.

H

Heartseeker

Sigh...

...I have tried to stay out of this for the most part, but really, I can't.

Any "Classic" UO shard really needs to start from day 1. Call it a "do over". Imagine the fun you, as devs, could have re-exploring what could have been. There are so few chances in life to 'go back', but here you have a unique chance to do just that.

To those against it:

Just ignore it. You have your latest expansion. You have your custom house. You have your neon items. You have your billion gold. Just do what you have been doing for the last 4-8 years...don't worry about it. It will be just like all those other shards you don't play on the shard list at log it. It has nothing to do with you.

But for those of us that remember what UO was:

Ditch your present shard, come back to what this game was. Let's do it right this time. Let's not allow the PKs to take over. Let's find a way to control the expansion of housing. Let's create player towns again. Let's "Create Worlds" the way the original designers envisioned...and let's never allow our game, our world, to be tainted by item based, artificial, constraints ever again.
This!!!

A

AesSedai

- Lately a lot of music has been popping in my head, regarding UO.

Regarding this subject, this song keeps repeating:
History repeats itself by A.O.S
(notice how apt a fit the group's name is... I thought some classic shard fans might enjoy that)

That is my primary concern that history will repeat itself, despite the most well meaning of intentions, if you try to bring history back to the forefront...

H

Heartseeker

- Lately a lot of music has been popping in my head, regarding UO.

Regarding this subject, this song keeps repeating:
History repeats itself by A.O.S
(notice how apt a fit the group's name is... I thought some classic shard fans might enjoy that)

That is my primary concern that history will repeat itself, despite the most well meaning of intentions, if you try to bring history back to the forefront...
I think we know your opinion by now, thx.

A little advice; let it play out.

It won't effect your play style one bit; while it will enhance other peoples.

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So does a "classic" shard also mean that all the "classic" bugs and exploits that were around at the same time also exist? In addition the horrible uselessness of archery in PvP?
Hi Viper,

If you actually wanted a classic shard then you wouldn't care about archery lol =)

NB

T

Trebr Drab

I'm changing my stand against it to for it. At this point, it may be the only way to save UO.

Besides, I'd love the idea of a "do over" on the lore and history, if they'd play it out and let things lead to wherever they lead instead of just telling a story. And get back to letting the players play it, instead of being part of the pre-written story.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm really neither for nor against it, however I do not think it will be the "UO saver" in the long term that people think it will be. It will have an initial rush, obviously, but what will happen 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year down the road? Will people demand changes to things they don't like? Will they demand "new content"?

Let's just say that aside from not really being interested in such a shard, I have my doubts about it's real effectiveness... but I am open to having those doubts proven wrong.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Define "Classic Shard"
I think everyone knows what it really means

1. no Enhanced Client, must use real UO
2. no Trammel
3. no Lost Lands
4. no Ilshenar
5. no Malas
6. no Tokuno
7. no instances (ML)
8. no quests (ML)

Classic Shard = One Britannia

don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid of change, add a new cool Dungeon or craftables or whatever, but start from the basics first, like balancing PvP and PvM and promote player to player Justice system

T

Trebr Drab

I'm really neither for nor against it, however I do not think it will be the "UO saver" in the long term that people think it will be. It will have an initial rush, obviously, but what will happen 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year down the road? Will people demand changes to things they don't like? Will they demand "new content"?

Let's just say that aside from not really being interested in such a shard, I have my doubts about it's real effectiveness... but I am open to having those doubts proven wrong.
I think for it to succeed long term there would have to be some things done.
A justice system that works, some of the newer stuff would be good to have (plants, custom houses, etc.). There's a lot to consider.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

But as sooin as you start adding things to the "Classic Shard", it's no longer the "Classic Shard" and soon enough you're back at square one with the calls for "Classic shard how I want it".

If you DON'T change anything, IMO the shard after an initial burst of people seeing what it's about will fade away into yet another underpopulated shard.

It's quite a Catch-22 to deal with really.

T

Trebr Drab

But as sooin as you start adding things to the "Classic Shard", it's no longer the "Classic Shard" and soon enough you're back at square one with the calls for "Classic shard how I want it".

If you DON'T change anything, IMO the shard after an initial burst of people seeing what it's about will fade away into yet another underpopulated shard.

Yep. What they really need is a classic "based" shard, a do over, fixing all the problems.
The primary problems being:
Rampant PKing
Cheats (looting and other hacks)

C

canary

While having a classic server would be fun, imo, I'd rather dev time being used to address current in game issues and make the EC viable and sharp.

T

Trebr Drab

While having a classic server would be fun, imo, I'd rather dev time being used to address current in game issues and make the EC viable and sharp.
That'd be fine if they addressed the issues that are causing the call for a "classic shard". But I get the feeling that they are afraid to lose a large chunk of what's left among the player base if they do. (Whether they in fact would or not.)

A

AesSedai

...It won't effect your play style one bit; while it will enhance other peoples.
- And that remains to be my primary problem with it. The problem I see is this:
...I'd rather dev time being used to address current in game issues and make the EC viable and sharp.
I consider Siege versus Production shards. I consider the balance of development time between CC and EC. I consider that resources have to be divided between fixing/improving foundations and creating new expansions. I consider EA's history of cutting resources to UO when they should continue to at least give it its fair share to further advance UO's development.

If it truly wasn't going to affect all of the other spokes on the UO wheel one bit, then I would have absolutely no reason to vote against it. But history has taught me there have never been enough resources for the existing UO; and the only guarantee from developing a classic shard is that more resources would have to shift in that direction and therefore shift away from improving what currently is UO.

If they do choose to start developing a classic shard then I hope it is a long-term great succes; otherwise it just amounts to further division of the playerbase and further lost resources that could've gone toward improving what is - resources will always be limited and the amount of resources that could be used to continue to improve UO just might remain unlimited... and that is a very important juggling act to consider when the overall success of future UO is the primary thing at stake.
So yeah, this decision does affect everyone involved in UO.

Although I am happy to hear that some of my concerns on this subject are known just as I hope that everyone else's opinion will be heard and considered by others... :)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. no Enhanced Client, must use real UO
Nah, if there's gonna be a brand new server and ruleset, it should run the Enhanced Client only. Upgrades the functionality of the game and eliminates anyone running that program that cannot be named.

L

Lady_Mina

EC makes me puke...

I've played 2D classic client for 6-7 'online' years now.

I tried third dawn...it was ugly.
Along with all the other atemps to create decent 3D crap.
And the interface of EC looks A LOT like WoW...

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC makes me puke...

I've played 2D classic client for 6-7 'online' years now.

I tried third dawn...it was ugly.
Along with all the other atemps to create decent 3D crap.
And the interface of EC looks A LOT like WoW...
I don't disagree with anything you said. The EC doesn't make me sick however. I've played the 2d client for the better part of nine years myself. I've only recently started playing the EC a couple months ago.

My suggestion is simply because PvP is so rampant with cheating and complaints about cheating that the EC would better prevent both the cheating and complaints.

I'd reckon that returning players who left UO many years ago, have been playing other more modern games and would have little difficulty using the EC.

U

Unsatisfied

Gotta take you back to my player run shard point, UOG Hybrid has been running for about 6 years with pretty much the same ruleset there havnt been many major changes to the way things work. And it's still going strong.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta take you back to my player run shard point, UOG Hybrid has been running for about 6 years with pretty much the same ruleset there havnt been many major changes to the way things work. And it's still going strong.
UOG is worthless. Being able to buy everything for real money is ****. People running around with 4 clients at the same time is ****. Accelerated skill gain is ****. That **** is ****..

U

Unsatisfied

UOG is worthless. Being able to buy everything for real money is ****. People running around with 4 clients at the same time is ****. Accelerated skill gain is ****. That **** is ****..

and if you go back to my original post before ripping on this one you will also see I have also covered that. UOG is **** that you can buy everything for moeny, run round multi clienting, and have somewhat immature "Player" admins, my point however was that this unprofessional player run shard can hold a large player base because people like the fact that its pretty much a classic shard, so EA could do a much better version and the fact is people wont get bored of it cos its "classic" and not constantly bringing in big changes.

So thank you for your imput without reading my previous posts.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Besides, I'd love the idea of a "do over" on the lore and history, if they'd play it out and let things lead to wherever they lead instead of just telling a story. And get back to letting the players play it, instead of being part of the pre-written story.
There is a story line that could explain all of it.

One shard of the Gem was locked away in a sealed box. Before he left, Lord British locked it away, in case it was needed for another day. The people of Sosaria never knew of it's existence. But as the Shadowlords invaded, the shard was discovered, and many citizens of Sosaria fled there...finding something they had forgotten...their own past.

T

Trebr Drab

There is a story line that could explain all of it.

One shard of the Gem was locked away in a sealed box. Before he left, Lord British locked it away, in case it was needed for another day. The people of Sosaria never knew of it's existence. But as the Shadowlords invaded, the shard was discovered, and many citizens of Sosaria fled there...finding something they had forgotten...their own past.
Dang, Morgana! I like it.

However, I don't really want to see transfers. There's too much gold in the shards right now, causing lots of inflation problems. But maybe we could transfer characters only, no items at all and lose any skill points over 100?

I really like your idea of "finding their own past". Maybe a black Moongate. Maybe you have to go through a storm that destroys all your items carried, and your bank does not follow you either.

As far as Lord British and Gems/Shards, there's lots of ways they could go on that. The LBs that took the shards into the Void couldn't have been all of the LBs from all the shards. And I think it was official that they didn't take all of the shards.

Grimwar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In 1999 i bought a game and just had a dial up connection. I was learing the art of the www and Uo. While Uo is still has a massive learing exp, i find that all that sparkles loses me. only 47 and i have to squint at the screen to read all the item properties
I think when the Bods's came out it realy doomed the player based craft and trust.
Now every one wanted them, so every one became a smith/tailor.
Also Tram did alot of dammage, bad for the pvp? No the real bad peps just made new chars and used different tactics to cause grief.

What makes uo great is the players.

U

Unsatisfied

I think it would be a lot simpler just to allow no player transfers of any kind to this shard.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Dang, Morgana! I like it.

However, I don't really want to see transfers. There's too much gold in the shards right now, causing lots of inflation problems. But maybe we could transfer characters only, no items at all and lose any skill points over 100?

I really like your idea of "finding their own past". Maybe a black Moongate. Maybe you have to go through a storm that destroys all your items carried, and your bank does not follow you either.

As far as Lord British and Gems/Shards, there's lots of ways they could go on that. The LBs that took the shards into the Void couldn't have been all of the LBs from all the shards. And I think it was official that they didn't take all of the shards.
I didn't mean that to be taken so literally. Of course there should be ZERO transfers. Having transfers would pretty much defeat the point.

I am saying that most of the people playing a classic shard would be people that have played UO before. Many of them, like myself, would re-create their characters on the new shard. I think a little fictional explanation of how someone that had been in Sosaria for many years could suddenly find their way into a new shard might be in order.

I think everyone on a classic shard should start the way we all did back on day 1. No skills, no items, nothing. Brand new characters for a brand new world.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- And that remains to be my primary problem with it. The problem I see is this:

I consider Siege versus Production shards. I consider the balance of development time between CC and EC. I consider that resources have to be divided between fixing/improving foundations and creating new expansions. I consider EA's history of cutting resources to UO when they should continue to at least give it its fair share to further advance UO's development.

If it truly wasn't going to affect all of the other spokes on the UO wheel one bit, then I would have absolutely no reason to vote against it. But history has taught me there have never been enough resources for the existing UO; and the only guarantee from developing a classic shard is that more resources would have to shift in that direction and therefore shift away from improving what currently is UO.

If they do choose to start developing a classic shard then I hope it is a long-term great succes; otherwise it just amounts to further division of the playerbase and further lost resources that could've gone toward improving what is - resources will always be limited and the amount of resources that could be used to continue to improve UO just might remain unlimited... and that is a very important juggling act to consider when the overall success of future UO is the primary thing at stake.
So yeah, this decision does affect everyone involved in UO.

Although I am happy to hear that some of my concerns on this subject are known just as I hope that everyone else's opinion will be heard and considered by others... :)
I said it before and I will say it again, If Mythic were concerned about resources and could not afford to work on a Classic shard, Mythic would not have mentioned that there have been talks and are considering creating said shard in the first place. Its clearly obvious that they can afford the resources, and to them its a viable idea. So in the end I doesn't matter if we are for it or against it, they will ultimately create one its just a matter of when.

I play a Free server from time to time, Its Classic in a sense but offers some things from current UO that is not unbalancing to Combat, Like Custom houses but Pre sept 11 2002 housing rules (no private houses, 7 day fall timer), Decor, Bonded pets, no other lands but brit and t2a. I talk to a lot of players and most I have come in contact with are all old UO players who still refer to UO as OSI, Most quit playing EA/UO due to the direction the game was going with AOS. and most claim they would come back in a heartbeat if EA offered something along the lines of a pre AOS shard. They dont play the shard just because its free, I pay for 2 EA accounts for example, they play it only because it offers them what EA cannot. These people who provide these free shards run 3, a t2a era, a Pub 15 UO:R era no tram, and one that is a mirror of the current shards, the one that has the most active players is the UO:R no tram server.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I said it before and I will say it again, If Mythic were concerned about resources and could not afford to work on a Classic shard, Mythic would not have mentioned that there have been talks and are considering creating said shard in the first place. Its clearly obvious that they can afford the resources, and to them its a viable idea. So in the end I doesn't matter if we are for it or against it, they will ultimately create one its just a matter of when.
I believe they will create one if they are talking(asking) about it as well. They see the opportunity to make some money and I think they should take it.

As to them having the resources. I think that is total bullspit. They don't have the resources to update their own damn website or patch screen. It takes months to get codes added to their own site. People have money and want to buy things and they can't. Resources. They fired(laid off) all these people. Quality assurance....pffffft.

There is no way someone is going to convince me they have enough resources to do this the right way. What is more likely is they will be giving people 2 jobs instead of 1 and everyone will be spread out thin in order to do it all.

Having said all that, I'm still in favor of the plan. It should give a temporary boost in subs and maybe(doubtful) some of that money can be put to use getting the resources the game actually needs to survive and prosper and not just exist.

U

Unsatisfied

love to see it go back to no mounts too. But that would just be a bonus

R

Rainfo X

I mainly want to play classic because I like the way the skill system and itemization works. 7x GM, just get a full set of armor and you're good to go. I'd probably play casually, mostly solo, and make some gatherers and crafters to fuel an old school bard and melee characters.

If it were Fel only, I'd imagine I would be an easy target for PKs. It sounds like kind of a rush, and I could fight back, but what if I'm outnumbered? What if I'm on a miner character?

Getting PKed while I was minding my own business and having to run around as a ghost doesn't sound like that much fun to me. So I'm wondering if somebody can convince me why a classic server without Trammel would be fun for a player like me, perhaps it's simply a matter of having a different mindset.

T

Trebr Drab

I mainly want to play classic because I like the way the skill system and itemization works. 7x GM, just get a full set of armor and you're good to go. I'd probably play casually, mostly solo, and make some gatherers and crafters to fuel an old school bard and melee characters.

If it were Fel only, I'd imagine I would be an easy target for PKs. It sounds like kind of a rush, and I could fight back, but what if I'm outnumbered? What if I'm on a miner character?

Getting PKed while I was minding my own business and having to run around as a ghost doesn't sound like that much fun to me. So I'm wondering if somebody can convince me why a classic server without Trammel would be fun for a player like me, perhaps it's simply a matter of having a different mindset.
Myself, I want to see a justice system.

1-If they simply don't allow PvP then you have griefers messing up player events or other game play, and there's nothing you can do except call a GM, and they aren't usually very timely.
2-If the justice system is too strict, and one kill gives you stat loss, then you won't have very many PKers at all, but you still won't be able to do anything about the above griefer.
3-If they allow you to kill a few players per week or 10 days, then you can take care of the above griefers, roleplay, etc., at the cost of a few random PKings by griefers (but not the rampant PKings UO used to have.) And most players will save their allowance for the griefers and jerks. And by the Virtues, I know a few mouthy sorts who deserve it too!
4-If they allow PKers who go over the limit of allowed kills and not face any punishment, or minimal, it simply won't work and you're back to rampant PKing.

Now, they had done number 3 above just before Trammel, but they had two major problems with it. One was that blues could heal reds, and not go gray. So it was a free and safe helper for the reds, while if you attacked the blue healers you'd go gray yourself and then all the blue healers would gank you.
The other problem was that a player could steal from you, and if you attacked them you went gray to them only, but this allowed them to kill you freely, no murder count. This was abused by PKers.

Fix these issues and I think that system slows PKing down to where it's not rampant. It still leaves one problem, that of the allowed kills per week being abused. And that's where a social system like guilds and allies comes in. You don't have to play in groups, just join an association of players who you can make special business deals with, or just hang with once in a while. And count on their support against griefers of all sorts. There used to be plenty of players who loved to PvP for justice.

U

Unsatisfied

maybe being pked on a miner will encourage you to join the community more and start an npk guild or join some other kind of help for protection, theN when your pker on your miner you can call in your guild for some revenge, hopefully if the bounty system is in place your guild can then cash in his head for a bonus to the pvping.

R

Rainfo X

maybe being pked on a miner will encourage you to join the community more and start an npk guild or join some other kind of help for protection, theN when your pker on your miner you can call in your guild for some revenge, hopefully if the bounty system is in place your guild can then cash in his head for a bonus to the pvping.
Is it so hard to believe that that doesn't sound like fun to me? I'd much rather have an arena for PvP and a safe world especially if I am going to play non-PvP characters. Besides, wouldn't the PK just recall or something afterwards? Unless he was sticking around to rez-kill me. Yuck, sounds terrible. I prefer organized pvp fair game situations, but that's just me.

U

Unsatisfied

Is it so hard to believe that that doesn't sound like fun to me? I'd much rather have an arena for PvP and a safe world especially if I am going to play non-PvP characters. Besides, wouldn't the PK just recall or something afterwards? Unless he was sticking around to rez-kill me. Yuck, sounds terrible. I prefer organized pvp fair game situations, but that's just me.
Fair enough, to me theres never been a community in tram like there was in fel. Doesnt seem like UO, I just feel like UO was the one game where things were hard, nowhere was completely safe but there was a community because of this. Theres so many games out there where you can run around and be safe if you want to, or pvp if you want to... I miss having ONE game where this wasnt the case.

Oh and again the other 30 or so shards with tram arnt going anywhere, so please can the classic fel lovers have this one :(

R

Rainfo X

Fair enough, to me theres never been a community in tram like there was in fel. Doesnt seem like UO, I just feel like UO was the one game where things were hard, nowhere was completely safe but there was a community because of this. Theres so many games out there where you can run around and be safe if you want to, or pvp if you want to... I miss having ONE game where this wasnt the case.

Oh and again the other 30 or so shards with tram arnt going anywhere, so please can the classic fel lovers have this one :(
Oh, man. I understand. I think there should be a classic fel shard for people like you AND one with tram.

My definition of "classic" seems to fall between Pub 5 and Pub 16 because that was my favorite point in the game before everything changed. I also think there should be a pre-Pub 5 Shard; of course it also undoubtedly falls under the definition of classic. I'd give it a fel only server a try, but ultimately I like PvM ( I play console RPGs) and classic UO so that means between Pub 5 and Pub 16. The best of both worlds. But there would have to be two classic shards... and who knows how well they would be populated if that happened... or if it's even possible...

:confused:

U

Unsatisfied

and who knows how well they would be populated if that happened... or if it's even possible...

:confused:

Yeah I wasnt entirely against the two shards one with fel one with tram but like you said I dunno how well they would be populated from the get go... I think eventually there might be room for more than one classic shard but to begin with at least I think we need one shard.

E

Evlar

I'm still keeping an eye on the forums to see if there's anything more "official" mentioned as yet, but sadly not.

I remain excited by the prospect for two reasons:

1 - Starting afresh on a completely new shard, just like everyone else would be. Enjoying the gameplay I dearly miss from the past.

2 - Giving all my "worthless" stuff away on my production shards, which will no doubt be of "considerable" value to those staying in the item driven worlds.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting rid of the AoS expansion should be the main change for a classic shard. Make Crafting a lot of fun again & stopping the more-uber-gear/tougher monsters arms race.

There would need to be a non-PvP area for me to go to a Classic Shard & stay. I could settle for large civilized areas around cities where we could mine, log, and gather the basic resources. Any PvP attacks, red to blue or blue to red, gets the attacker instantly guard-whacked. That could give many a perhaps acceptable 'Tram' situation. Go outside such areas after more exotic resources or monsters and you may get PKed.

Say Britian's area, as the Captital City, would extend to the mountains to the west & north for mining spots, south to the river the road to Trinsic crosses, and east to somewhere in the forest. The other towns would have smaller areas depending on their size.

Would this enlarged guard zone situation giving us 'Trammies' :) a pretty safe area to play most of the time be acceptable to the PvPers?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

An "enlarged guardzone" would be entirely preferable to Trammel.

(and yes, I said I was "done" on another thread...and I am...so don't bother wasting time launching "personal attacks" against me for posting here. Until I am banned I can post where the .... I want so .... off)

This was my point back when they were coming up with options to deal with "the PK problem".

Simply making two different worlds on each shard was not the right answer. Certainly something had to be done. There were many people...the majority of the players in fact...that wanted nothing to do with PvP. Sure, they might have thought it was sort of cool at first, but being para-ganked on the bridge between Trinsic and Brit got a little old after the first few days.

The answer to this problem was far more complicated than the solution offered. The so-called solution is what led to the item-based/expansion-based model we live with now. Why? Because creating an entirely safe world devoid of real risk makes for a pretty dull experience. At first, just like being PK'ed, it seemed really fun and all that...but after a while, the lack of challenge got a little stale. What to do? Monsters that took 20 or more players to kill that could insta-kill most players, items that dropped from these monsters that could only be gotten from them, and a never ending stream of monsters plus new items to make sure everyone stayed interested. (A+B=C)

What should have happened, is that the world should have been altered, but left as one. Enhanced guard zones should have been added. Wandering NPC Paladins that would attack red on sight (that were really tough, and gave no loot) should have been introduced. A real justice system beyond the exploitable bounty system should have been added. Perma death after a certain point for murderers, real-time jail terms for thieves, one-goes-red-they-all-go-red policies for accounts, etc.

But not Trammel.

The solution to the "PK problem" was not to just 'turn it off'. It was the easy solution, the cheap solution, but in the end, it cost the game its soul.

I know that a lot of "modern" players will disagree...as well as many "classic" players that felt that he addition of Trammel "Saved the Game". The truth is, the game did need saving, but it didn't need saving like that. A more complex, well thought out solution was needed...and instead, we got Trammel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be my last post in this thread...

...and with it, I want to say this:

The past is gone now.

A classic shard, under current conditions, will not work. Players that do not want to go back to an open PvP environment won't. A 'classic' shard that is pre-Tram will only attract the same element that Fel attracts. There will not be enough players that stay there long term to make it successful.

A classic shard under current conditions that is post-Tram, but pre-AoS will not work for very long. The players that seek only PvE will explore the old land masses, conquer what is there, collect all the items available, build a house, and become bored off their collective butts. They will eventually (6 months tops) migrate back to the gimmie-gimmie-gimmie item based shards.

Seriously...a classic shard is a waste of time and resources. I know it. The Devs know it. The Trammies know it. The Felies know it. Even the Siegies know it.

Just move on.

Classic UO is dead.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A classic shard, under current conditions, will not work. Players that do not want to go back to an open PvP environment won't. A 'classic' shard that is pre-Tram will only attract the same element that Fel attracts. There will not be enough players that stay there long term to make it successful.
I agree, dropping Tram has the PKers want will result in nothing more than a low population shard with only Fel players and bored gankers. I won't pay a monthly fee to be fun for someone else.

A classic shard under current conditions that is post-Tram, but pre-AoS will not work for very long. The players that seek only PvE will explore the old land masses, conquer what is there, collect all the items available, build a house, and become bored off their collective butts. They will eventually (6 months tops) migrate back to the gimmie-gimmie-gimmie item based shards.
There's a lot of land to explore. My main account has been active for about 75 - 80 months and there are places I'm never gone and places I have forgotten. Training up a Gargoyle has taken me places I haven't seen since 2000 :)

As a player who plays primarily Crafters & Foragers, I would be very happy with a not AoS-damaged UO. If there was a Trammel, I would stay and craft and be as happy as a bookworm trapped in a library. <chuckle>

Seriously...a classic shard is a waste of time and resources. I know it. The Devs know it. The Trammies know it. The Felies know it. Even the Siegies know it.

Just move on.

Classic UO is dead.
You sound very much like a sister of mine. If she 'knows it' all but me know it. <g>

The posts above show many hope it will happen, and many who don't read the forums may love the idea. The item focus is bad for those who Craft, don't like the super-monsters items have made necessary, or can't or don't play a hundred hours a week to get the uber-gear needed to fight the ML & SA super-monsters.

Classic UO is not an engraved in stone concept. They could add in just about anything other than Items, BODs, and more super-monsters and I wouldn't care a bit. The main thing I loath are the AoS changes that ruined Crafting.

Why I brought up the enlarged guard zone idea in my last post. I've realized what I truly want is to be able to Craft without the rare & expensive runics, and be able to craft things better than the monster loot. Beyond that, I really don't care. :)

J

JoeBlow88

Dreadlord days no question about that

massive warfare everywhere , crafters with an economy , no one hoarding billions just playing and fighting.

old notoriety system

no stat loss

people policing themselves

they screwed up from that point , check old stratic dev chat they listened to intern dev faction that wanted to police the players. and the game went down to hell after.

make a server that would follow the other faction of dev back then , dont touch a thing... thats what made uo great.

id probably come back and sure know lots of people who would.

but still theres plenty of emulator that does that. and theres more players in them than there is on siege lets say.

dread lord days you stood on one side.

Dreadlord or Greatlord , both needed their community for survival
interaction with others was awsome , something never seen in any other game except eve .

it became a single player game with stat loss
pks beign scared to come out , fight winning odds only , raided
no more massive scale war that happen on the spot .

3 dread running after 1 guy , 2 guy coming in to his aid and so on you end up with epic fights 30 vs 30 and only one winner in the end.

stuff dropping on the floor you just grabbed whatever armour you found and thats it go back , dread had disadvantage running back to chaos wich was painful , at 80 magery you were a badass , skills atrophied , you played only 1 character not a bunch of 7xgm

if anyone remember it was heck of a fun , and siege did not even come close to the old days.

L

Longest Journey

While true, there needs to be a check put in-place. Free PvP here means PK. If people want to indulge their PvP-ness, there are methods - Guild Wars, Order/Chaos or Factions. Under the idea of a PvP switch, those that want to PvP will. Sure, you'll loose the griefing aspect of it, but it's a win-win-lose situation.

PvP'rs win.
Non-PvP'rs win.
Griefers lose.
Ah, such a naieve point of view. You think that griefing is limited to an open PvP environment. Truth is, its not.

Griefers are any player whos goal is to cause grief. Well, lets see, the non PvP griefers are as follows:

Gold Farmer spammers
Kill stealers
people who some how manage to place 75,000 water barrles down all across your front steps. (Happened to me less than 5 years ago. Had to call a GM. Both he and I nearly browned his nickers when he saw how many barrels were there)
People who purposely talk foul towards you to antagonize you
Dungeon Hogs
Bot Dungeon Hogs
miner scripters
Scripters in general
did I mention gold farmers? Yeah, well, they're such a pain, they get mentioned twice.

All of these people can get away with being major league pains in the rear because you, the player, has no means to stop them.

Back in the old days, players thought twice about being a jerk towards other people because of the fact that they could kill them in retaliation.

PvP griefrs:

The guy who kills you and loots you...........well, is that part of the game?

Is that all? Wow, if people are so sensitive about that, how can you even propose PvP at all? Even in guild wars in the old days, after an enemy guild killed you, 9 times out of 10 they helped themselves to whatever was on your corpse.

Second, how do you know those PKs were there to grief you to begin with? They could just be there to, you know, kill you and loot you because thats their chosen profession. A killer. A murderer. They murder people, its what they do. If you take it personally, then youre the one griefing your self.

I mean, every time someone got killed in game, they would cry griefer. What proof did you have that the intent of the person who killed you was to griefing? It sounds more like you couldnt handle getting killed and took it personally. More likely than not, that person killed you because thats the role they have chosen to play, a killer, and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Granted, there will be jerks who are going to stand there and try to be as such, but thats only if you stand there as your ghost and watch them. If you had any modicum of sense, youd leave. I mean, youre a ghost, what else can they do to you that you dont choose to remain there and bear witness to? The only thing to do is go back to town, rez, and re-gear....and maybe offer a bounty hunter some gold to go and bring back the head of the guy who killed you.

I mean, come one people, its like playing Call of Duty and thinking that the guy who gunned you down did it because they like being an ass. No, they did it because its part of the game.

Dont take it personally.

[QUTOE]I say griefing because under the old Britannia system, there was no escape. Players were forced into PvP.[/QUOTE]

Actually, there was a way to escape PvP, it was called recalling out. If a PK attacked you, you could try and get away and recall. Worked for me more times than I can count. If you didnt get away...oh well, you died and the other guy got your stuff.

And even then, you werent under constant PvP action. There were times when I went on with my miner and dug all day into the peak hours when everyone was on and didnt see one red. There were days when I went on with my warrior lumberjack and ran into 5 or 6 of them. It was all luck of the draw. And, yes, it made the game exciting. Was I happy when I got killed and looted? No, but I didnt call every Red who took me down a griefer. My philosiphy was "So? You killed me. Its not like I cant replace my gear and chop more wood, or dig more ore, or buy new magic weapons/armor. Ill just have to kill you next time our paths cross".

Seriously, if everyone would just take that attitude towards it (and mature a bit. It is just a game afterall), there would be no such thing as a griefer.

Of course, it was a PvP game. I mean, if you didnt want to PvP, why would you play a PvP game? Even if you focused solely on hunting monsters, you would eventually have to face another player who wanted to kill you. It simulated the time period in which the game was set, Medieval times. things like murderers and highwaymen and robbers were a threat. It added to the immersion of the game.

But from what I can tell, it seems most people are spooked by the tales of the big bad boogie man PKers who flew around on broom sticks and owned 400 players with one swipe of their sword or one energy bolt and spirited children away in the night and running rampant.......LOL

If you want the real 411 on what happened in the old days, please read on:

Back in the days of T2A, there were PKers. Did they kill other players and loot them? Yes. Was the PKing rampant? Not really. I mean, yeah, there were nights when they hit in force, but it didnt happen all the time. And when there was a problem, you had Anti's who would go and hunt them down and fight them.

The problem: People took the PKing too personally. A lot of people who lacked the emotional maturity to handle a game that dealt with character mortality. They believed that every time someone killed their character, it was some sort of sinister plot to hurt them personally. Truth is, it wasnt. That person who killed them was better at PvP than they were and they killed them.

I played UO back in Beta up till ML. I was PK'd dozens of times before trammel and after (I stayed behind in felucca). So were a lot of other players. The majority of us took it for what it was: We got killed. We didnt cry griefer, we didnt cry hax, and we didnt cry period.

We got beaten: :twak:

We got rezed: :stretcher:

We got stronger: :fight:

Then we got even: :flame:

Thats the way it worked. People who couldnt handle that cried griefer.

.....and look what it got us.

So to people who keep using griefers as an excuse against open PvP, I say you need to mature, realize that not everyone is out to hurt you personally, that the person who PK'd you did just that Player Killed you and nothing else, and either fight back or get over it but just quit the :sad2:.

Because, frankly, it doesnt lead anywhere good.

Status
Not open for further replies.