• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Define "Classic Shard"

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Longest Journey

And, before I forget, the Definition of a Classic Shard:

A shard the embraces and provides the original concept, systems, and ruleset of UO.

Original rules/concept/systems:

Open PvP
Player driven economy
Vanq/power/force/ruin magic weapons
Invul/hardening/guarding/defense magic armor
Skills caped at 100.0% and no higher
225 stat points to use

Bascially, anything before Reniassance.

Lets see, youve got just after release or T2A....

....take your pick.

J

JoeBlow88

dread days before t2a

stat loss brought in scared pk at that time insta hit combo was in pvp was already dead.

xplode ebolt insta hit hally bang anyoen dead.

was pretty lame and with stat loss murderer were picking fights staying home and didint need refill or armor they died only occasionaly.

pre t2a i remember our guild had a full time crafter contact in town wich brought in deliveries for a profit and was the same guy we sold out loot to , i had 1 character , i didnt care about craftign at all was too busy fighting.

the economy was thriving a blacksmith making repair at britain stood there all day long and made good money, had to know the guy before you gave him your vanq weapon.

massive warfare everywhere , 5-6 miner with pickaxes killing a dreadlord who was trying to tax them for some ingots with their 50 swordmanship skills.

it was a complete different game.

poeople complained because they were used to the i win button in 1996 games , with eve online pvp where you can lose 5 month of play in one shot now you know what you get into.

what did we lose back then , a full suit and some regs 2k worth of stuff ..
of course you didint want to lose your house key or get it stolen.

EA did a mess with Uo by trying to compete, i think it was all the work of 1 guy high in the EA hierachy who logged in and got pwned back then and got mad , EA stat loss and Trammel was worst then SWG NGE if you remember how much people complained,

its like having campbell soup trying to compete with cheeze weez and change gradually each year toward getting more thick and cheezy.

C

Connor_Graham

PvP griefrs:

The guy who kills you and loots you...........well, is that part of the game?
You forgot a couple-

The guy that kills you in front of your house, takes your house key and dry loots your house, then drops it right in front of you.

The same guy that dry looted your house takes your ship key and does the same thing.

Naked, leg humping, thieves, and their no risk playstyle.

There are more, but these are good examples, and are all I can clearly think of after only 1 cup of coffee so far this morning.

Pre Tram wasn't all roses and cotton candy clouds as far as PvP griefing went.

U

Unsatisfied

You forgot a couple-

The guy that kills you in front of your house, takes your house key and dry loots your house, then drops it right in front of you.

The same guy that dry looted your house takes your ship key and does the same thing.

There are more, but these are good examples, and are all I can clearly think of after only 1 cup of coffee so far this morning.

a) you have to be stupid or really really bad to get killed and looted outside your house with your key. Recall, take two steps into house and I Ban Thee. These functions tought you the importance of being carefull and cautious...

but anyway
b) House looting wasnt in there till the death of fel... I think the majority of people pineing for a classic shard would be fine with it having the later version of lock down and secures that cant be looted unless your friended/co-owned

Ah, such a naieve point of view. You think that griefing is limited to an open PvP environment. Truth is, its not.

Griefers are any player whos goal is to cause grief. Well, lets see, the non PvP griefers are as follows:

Gold Farmer spammers
Kill stealers
people who some how manage to place 75,000 water barrles down all across your front steps. (Happened to me less than 5 years ago. Had to call a GM. Both he and I nearly browned his nickers when he saw how many barrels were there)
People who purposely talk foul towards you to antagonize you
Dungeon Hogs
Bot Dungeon Hogs
miner scripters
Scripters in general
did I mention gold farmers? Yeah, well, they're such a pain, they get mentioned twice.

All of these people can get away with being major league pains in the rear because you, the player, has no means to stop them.

Back in the old days, players thought twice about being a jerk towards other people because of the fact that they could kill them in retaliation.

PvP griefrs:

The guy who kills you and loots you...........well, is that part of the game?

Is that all? Wow, if people are so sensitive about that, how can you even propose PvP at all? Even in guild wars in the old days, after an enemy guild killed you, 9 times out of 10 they helped themselves to whatever was on your corpse.

Second, how do you know those PKs were there to grief you to begin with? They could just be there to, you know, kill you and loot you because thats their chosen profession. A killer. A murderer. They murder people, its what they do. If you take it personally, then youre the one griefing your self.

I mean, every time someone got killed in game, they would cry griefer. What proof did you have that the intent of the person who killed you was to griefing? It sounds more like you couldnt handle getting killed and took it personally. More likely than not, that person killed you because thats the role they have chosen to play, a killer, and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Granted, there will be jerks who are going to stand there and try to be as such, but thats only if you stand there as your ghost and watch them. If you had any modicum of sense, youd leave. I mean, youre a ghost, what else can they do to you that you dont choose to remain there and bear witness to? The only thing to do is go back to town, rez, and re-gear....and maybe offer a bounty hunter some gold to go and bring back the head of the guy who killed you.

I mean, come one people, its like playing Call of Duty and thinking that the guy who gunned you down did it because they like being an ass. No, they did it because its part of the game.

Dont take it personally.

I like this guy.

C

Connor_Graham

a) you have to be stupid or really really bad to get killed and looted outside your house with your key. Recall, take two steps into house and I Ban Thee. These functions tought you the importance of being carefull and cautious...
Or simply get ganked. rolleyes:

U

Unsatisfied

An "enlarged guardzone" would be entirely preferable to Trammel.

(and yes, I said I was "done" on another thread...and I am...so don't bother wasting time launching "personal attacks" against me for posting here. Until I am banned I can post where the .... I want so .... off)

This was my point back when they were coming up with options to deal with "the PK problem".

Simply making two different worlds on each shard was not the right answer. Certainly something had to be done. There were many people...the majority of the players in fact...that wanted nothing to do with PvP. Sure, they might have thought it was sort of cool at first, but being para-ganked on the bridge between Trinsic and Brit got a little old after the first few days.

The answer to this problem was far more complicated than the solution offered. The so-called solution is what led to the item-based/expansion-based model we live with now. Why? Because creating an entirely safe world devoid of real risk makes for a pretty dull experience. At first, just like being PK'ed, it seemed really fun and all that...but after a while, the lack of challenge got a little stale. What to do? Monsters that took 20 or more players to kill that could insta-kill most players, items that dropped from these monsters that could only be gotten from them, and a never ending stream of monsters plus new items to make sure everyone stayed interested. (A+B=C)

What should have happened, is that the world should have been altered, but left as one. Enhanced guard zones should have been added. Wandering NPC Paladins that would attack red on sight (that were really tough, and gave no loot) should have been introduced. A real justice system beyond the exploitable bounty system should have been added. Perma death after a certain point for murderers, real-time jail terms for thieves, one-goes-red-they-all-go-red policies for accounts, etc.

But not Trammel.

The solution to the "PK problem" was not to just 'turn it off'. It was the easy solution, the cheap solution, but in the end, it cost the game its soul.

I know that a lot of "modern" players will disagree...as well as many "classic" players that felt that he addition of Trammel "Saved the Game". The truth is, the game did need saving, but it didn't need saving like that. A more complex, well thought out solution was needed...and instead, we got Trammel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be my last post in this thread...

...and with it, I want to say this:

The past is gone now.

A classic shard, under current conditions, will not work. Players that do not want to go back to an open PvP environment won't. A 'classic' shard that is pre-Tram will only attract the same element that Fel attracts. There will not be enough players that stay there long term to make it successful.

A classic shard under current conditions that is post-Tram, but pre-AoS will not work for very long. The players that seek only PvE will explore the old land masses, conquer what is there, collect all the items available, build a house, and become bored off their collective butts. They will eventually (6 months tops) migrate back to the gimmie-gimmie-gimmie item based shards.

Seriously...a classic shard is a waste of time and resources. I know it. The Devs know it. The Trammies know it. The Felies know it. Even the Siegies know it.

Just move on.

Classic UO is dead.
I liked a lot of your ideas, a couple came a little untuck here but what I dont understand is why your views have so quickly changed,

you were barracking pretty strongly for the return of a pre tram pre aos classic shard and saying that it will help uo ultimately or at least give old players a reason to come back, and now suddenly youve changed your mind and said that it wont make a difference and will be under populated...

Sorry but I strongly disagree here, I might sound like a broken record but I know a hell of a lot of people out there on classic free shards that are dying to return to EA for a classic shard if it opened. And they know more people, who know more people, who know A LOT MORE PEOPLE who want this to happen. But things like perma death to reds after a point and long term lock up systems on theives will not help this. Sounds like a good idea now but that would just kill it.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry but I strongly disagree here, I might sound like a broken record but I know a hell of a lot of people out there on classic free shards that are dying to return to EA for a classic shard if it opened. And they know more people, who know more people, who know A LOT MORE PEOPLE who want this to happen. But things like perma death to reds after a point and long term lock up systems on theives will not help this. Sounds like a good idea now but that would just kill it.
X2 being I play a free server that is "Classic" in a sense, its around the pub 15-16 era no tram, PS, Statscrolls, but it has some things from modern UO that is not unbalancing to PvP, PvM, (combat) like custom housing but with the pre aos housing rules, Decor items exc,exc. This shard has 800-2500 active accounts logged in at any givin day. Everyone I converse with where the subject is about OSI (they dont know its Mythic now) All state that they would come back to EA UO if they made a shard based around the basic spirit of UO, NO tram, No AOS. A lot of these players were at one time Siege players like me. And they feel as I do IF they did not give Siege the AOS item properties code they would still be playing EA UO today, Keep in mind Siege Pre AOS was a very active shard.

A majority do not play this ruleset because its free, they play it because its something EA does not provide, The devs of this server also have a current UO shard complete with tram and expansions, and a 2nd age shard, but they are very under populated compared to the PUB 15/16 no tram server, that means a lot on a figuring basis, being that they are all free the players have a choice on which ruleset they would want to play, they are not forced to play one style of UO like what is currently provided by EA.

When Mythic does in fact put up a Classic style of shard(s), It will be the breath of fresh air UO has been looking for, Everything about the Idea is positive for UO in the long run.

T

Trebr Drab

If a group of players really wanted you house key, they were going to get it unless you knew they were trying. Many players would recall to their house without their key to scout it out first, and that still didn't work. It's just too easy to plan traps out for players.

U

Unsatisfied

X2 being I play a free server that is "Classic" in a sense, its around the pub 15-16 era no tram, PS, Statscrolls, but it has some things from modern UO that is not unbalancing to PvP, PvM, (combat) like custom housing but with the pre aos housing rules, Decor items exc,exc. This shard has 800-2500 active accounts logged in at any givin day. Everyone I converse with where the subject is about OSI (they dont know its Mythic now) All state that they would come back to EA UO if they made a shard based around the basic spirit of UO, NO tram, No AOS. A lot of these players were at one time Siege players like me. And they feel as I do IF they did not give Siege the AOS item properties code they would still be playing EA UO today, Keep in mind Siege Pre AOS was a very active shard.

A majority do not play this ruleset because its free, they play it because its something EA does not provide, The devs of this server also have a current UO shard complete with tram and expansions, and a 2nd age shard, but they are very under populated compared to the PUB 15/16 no tram server, that means a lot on a figuring basis, being that they are all free the players have a choice on which ruleset they would want to play, they are not forced to play one style of UO like what is currently provided by EA.

When Mythic does in fact put up a Classic style of shard(s), It will be the breath of fresh air UO has been looking for, Everything about the Idea is positive for UO in the long run.
This is one of the main points ive been trying to get across to people for the past week or so on these threads, I'm happy to see SOMEONE is finally backing me up because it seems like no one is listening to a word I've been saying.

Thanks.

T

Trebr Drab

This is one of the main points ive been trying to get across to people for the past week or so on these threads, I'm happy to see SOMEONE is finally backing me up because it seems like no one is listening to a word I've been saying.

Thanks.
We hear you, it's just that some disagree to one degree or another. The biggest thing most are concerned with is having rampant PKing drive people away, just as it did in earlier times. A few thousand players is not enough. Whatever they do, it needs to be successful enough to bring a lot more people back, and stick.
For myself, I belive in what you want, but with a justice system that works to keep PKing (as opposed to PvP) down. But I strongly believe in the social glue that such a shard can bring. It just needs a means for "victims" to be satisfied, to have a tool to stop PKing when they become constant targets.

If you read up the thread, you'll see my post on that.
But like you, I feel like no one will listen to me. No one will go to the middle ground. It's got to be all one way or another, and both extremes lead to bad things.

J

JoeBlow88

like i said do a research about Uo Origins you wont be disapointed at all !

U

Unsatisfied

like i said do a research about Uo Origins you wont be disapointed at all !
if your talking about UO Origens player run shard, its laggy and has about 30 people online... but thats really beside the point here, our point is everyone on free shards is wants to play an EA run shard, I have, and have played many free shards, but I always want to return to an EA Classic shard because free shards still ultimately have player admins, eventually donation systems that give you whatever you want. And just arnt osi/EA/Mythic whatever it is now.

U

Unsatisfied

If you read up the thread, you'll see my post on that.
But like you, I feel like no one will listen to me. No one will go to the middle ground. It's got to be all one way or another, and both extremes lead to bad things.

Blues healing reds without going grey was always a bad idea, thats one thing that needs to be implemented. Of course your a criminal for aiding a murderer. No recalling for flagged murderers obviously.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I tought it was all about putting less... not more ?

Classic shard is about back to the basics... before they ruined it.

Because all players true to UO care less about having a powerful artefact.

No offense but to me it's totally ridiculous... feels like a toy now, not a classic sandbox.

You know ?

Lego never build a robot that builds the stuff for you, it all relied on the creativity, which was great.

If you want a lego castle you don't buy a tower, then a dam... you make it all from scratch...

I'm sure you know...

They really ruined it all.

I mean unequivocally, ruined it.

Beleive it or not I'm still paying, I'm still trying to like it, because of the community ; because maybe the EMs will do something interesting.

But all I see now is classical WoW type quests, you can almost expect the ending, evil never really is a menace, it never really matters.

There is no mystery, no lore... no passion...

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And the question now is where "back to the basics... before they ruined it." is.

To most posting of late, thats the PKland UO was before UO:Ren.

To me, "back to the basics... before they ruined it." is OU:Ren before UO was ruined by UO:AoS.

If the classic shard is going to have very many players, it has to draw, & keep, people who prefer playing the game as more than a moving target for PKers. Otherwise even the PKers will leave the classic shard because there's no easy targets and it's no fun for them. (Remembering my own fel experiences hearing the 'mighty warriors Barnry Bad****' or whatever, boasting about how tough & manly they are for killing an unarmed character with a crafting template. <spits in disgust>)

There has to be a Trammel, or some working method of keeping the PKers from driving the non-PvP players back to the AoS-tainted normal shards where they can have fun for thier money, not just be fun for the PKers.

How about having an 'ignore list' for PKers? The clowns can be put on your 'ignore PKer' list and he, and no other character on that account, can attack you anymore? The basic code could probably be pulled out of the Tram ruleset code. The only ones this would ruin the fun for are the rampant PKers.

U

Unsatisfied

And the question now is where "back to the basics... before they ruined it." is.

To me, "back to the basics... before they ruined it." is OU:Ren before UO was ruined by UO:AoS.

If the classic shard is going to have very many players, it has to draw, & keep, people who prefer playing the game as more than a moving target for PKers. Otherwise even the PKers will leave the classic shard because there's no easy targets and it's no fun for them. (Remembering my own fel experiences hearing the 'mighty warriors Barnry Bad****' or whatever, boasting about how tough & manly they are for killing an unarmed character with a crafting template. <spits in disgust>)

There has to be a Trammel, or some working method of keeping the PKers from driving the non-PvP players back to the AoS-tainted normal shards where they can have fun for thier money, not just be fun for the PKers.

How about having an 'ignore list' for PKers? The clowns can be put on your 'ignore PKer' list and he, and no other character on that account, can attack you anymore? The basic code could probably be pulled out of the Tram ruleset code. The only ones this would ruin the fun for are the rampant PKers.
I'm sorry to totally dismiss you but that has got to be one of the worst ideas ive ever heard. What point is there to a murderer or murdering system if every player can hit a button and your on ignore? Theres so many ways that system could be exploited also. For example... I have a friend who wants to go pk hunting.... so i decide to go heal him with every pk on my ignore list so I am essentially a healing turret that cannot be attacked.

Thats just one quick flaw off the top of my head without really thinking into the idea, just seeing it and going STOP!!!! BAD IDEA SORRY.

U

Unsatisfied

Sorry I almost missed this... Putting your house key on a vendor "not for sale" was an easy way to stop this. No one could access the keys except for you and no risk of you being ganked outside your house with your key on you.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry to totally dismiss you but that has got to be one of the worst ideas ive ever heard. What point is there to a murderer or murdering system if every player can hit a button and your on ignore? Theres so many ways that system could be exploited also. For example... I have a friend who wants to go pk hunting.... so i decide to go heal him with every pk on my ignore list so I am essentially a healing turret that cannot be attacked.

Thats just one quick flaw off the top of my head without really thinking into the idea, just seeing it and going STOP!!!! BAD IDEA SORRY.
Healing murderers would just turn you grey, and make you vulnerable. The idea is for protecting blues being attacked by PKs, not reds or greys. :)

U

Unsatisfied

Healing murderers would just turn you grey, and make you vulnerable. The idea is for protecting blues being attacked by PKs, not reds or greys. :)

You missed my entire point here. You jump on a blue character and decide to go hunting reds... meanwhile your friend jumps on his blue character with every red on his ignore list comes along and freely heals you on your BLUE without any chance of being attacked because he has all the reds on his ignore list. Are you catching on yet?

Next point your going to make is this "Okay well then make it somehow that if you heal a blue thats fighting one of the reds on your ignore list, that is whiped" Okay so they implement that, then you have blues running around casting energy fields and stone walls to block reds while they are chasing blues, but you cannot attack those blues that are blocking you because they are basically invulnerable whilst having you on ingore...

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, then <chuckle>

I'd say come up with some working way to prevent blues from being driven out of the Classic Shard by PKers or plan on having a Classic Shard with just PvPers & PKers, then a near empty Classic Shard without PKers, because theres no easy targets, just actually tough PvPers who kick the PKers hide. <G>

Tiresome topic. I'm outta here. :)

H

Heartseeker

If you need protection try Trojan.

H

Heartseeker

Well, then <chuckle>

I'd say come up with some working way to prevent blues from being driven out of the Classic Shard by PKers or plan on having a Classic Shard with just PvPers & PKers, then a near empty Classic Shard without PKers, because theres no easy targets, just actually tough PvPers who kick the PKers hide. <G>

"Tiresome topic. I'm outta here. :)"
"Good":lol:

Z

Zyon Rockler

The idea to me seems like a major step back. Everything added to UO was to make it better or to fix problems, so I feel all the problems would just be reset.

To me the time UO had to learn and what we learned from it is what makes it classic. So, the only way would be to remake the game because there are to many problems if you just time-warp.

You can't have it both ways. If you readd old weps, armour, clothes, you lose all the other items. Artifacts gone, minor artifacts gone. It seems like an endless list.

No insure means: can't have anything on you that is unique
No bonding of pets: can't train pets or keep them
No custom housing: can't build your own home
No Trammel: can't hunt anything
No Trammel: only one small land mass for housing

So, i'm guessing you would lose to much in trying to change something rather then just trying to make it better or work the way it should.

I would much rather they rebuilt the land mass and cities to better accomodate todays UO.

Take the bases for factions, set them nicely on a new Brit Map. Maybe, place one on an island and lock boats to the waters. Give them all a town, castle, walls and lore.

It's just to broken up and to many things repeated, like the number of smith shops or tailor shops. Shops should be pre-built by the designers so cities look like cities. Players could run the shops. They could have NPCs and player vendors to up-keep. To own a shop in the city limits you would need skill, like 120 smith and lore and also have to pay a tax for the home owners.

You could own the stable master's house and sell pets at the city stable or own the dock house and build fine custom ships to sell or you could sell homes that are deeded, customized and fully furnished.

Faction system would be more like guild systems. One master system type, just broken down. Strongholds would have to be occupied to be captured and held. Huge guardian spawns with great rewards. This would be the cities army. There could be basic uniforms or colors, pet dress banners, rank and gear.

Huge guard zones that protect non faction members of their towns, so you would come into the game under a town's ruleset or be able to pick your city. Non guard zones placed between each region for PvP and large dungeons placed inside cities, kind of like Trammel because the enterances would be heavily guarded.

Some cities would be Honor, so you could not kill each other in guild factions or alliance, only in war.

Other cities could fall under Chaos where you could kill each other through the guild system and so, so, much more. Like spawns, more races, 10 characters per account, gold cap on accounts.

But, if they do a classic shard I will log into check it out.

H

Heartseeker

The idea to me seems like a major step back. Everything added to UO was to make it better or to fix problems, so I feel all the problems would just be reset.

To me the time UO had to learn and what we learned from it is what makes it classic. So, the only way would be to remake the game because there are to many problems if you just time-warp.

You can't have it both ways. If you readd old weps, armour, clothes, you lose all the other items. Artifacts gone, minor artifacts gone. It seems like an endless list.

No insure means: can't have anything on you that is unique
No bonding of pets: can't train pets or keep them
No custom housing: can't build your own home
No Trammel: can't hunt anything
No Trammel: only one small land mass for housing

So, i'm guessing you would lose to much in trying to change something rather then just trying to make it better or work the way it should.

I would much rather they rebuilt the land mass and cities to better accomodate todays UO.

Take the bases for factions, set them nicely on a new Brit Map. Maybe, place one on an island and lock boats to the waters. Give them all a town, castle, walls and lore.

It's just to broken up and to many things repeated, like the number of smith shops or tailor shops. Shops should be pre-built by the designers so cities look like cities. Players could run the shops. They could have NPCs and player vendors to up-keep. To own a shop in the city limits you would need skill, like 120 smith and lore and also have to pay a tax for the home owners.

You could own the stable master's house and sell pets at the city stable or own the dock house and build fine custom ships to sell or you could sell homes that are deeded, customized and fully furnished.

Faction system would be more like guild systems. One master system type, just broken down. Strongholds would have to be occupied to be captured and held. Huge guardian spawns with great rewards. This would be the cities army. There could be basic uniforms or colors, pet dress banners, rank and gear.

Huge guard zones that protect non faction members of their towns, so you would come into the game under a town's ruleset or be able to pick your city. Non guard zones placed between each region for PvP and large dungeons placed inside cities, kind of like Trammel because the enterances would be heavily guarded.

Some cities would be Honor, so you could not kill each other in guild factions or alliance, only in war.

Other cities could fall under Chaos where you could kill each other through the guild system and so, so, much more. Like spawns, more races, 10 characters per account, gold cap on accounts.

But, if they do a classic shard I will log into check it out.
Sorry you feel that way.

If Ea does a Classic Shard; which means running and maintaining it properly, subscriptions will double.

N

Nosbor

My personal favorite would be pub15.
But I'm sure there are a lot of players out there that would like to see pre-t2a.

U

Unsatisfied

No one is changing your 30 shards that are current and updated... so were not taking a step back... its simply offering an alternative, which will bring people like me that dont like the current playstyle back to the game... And give people who still play a chance to play a different style if they want it.

Z

Zyon Rockler

No one is changing your 30 shards that are current and updated... so were not taking a step back... its simply offering an alternative, which will bring people like me that dont like the current playstyle back to the game... And give people who still play a chance to play a different style if they want it.
It's not that I don't want more shards, I do, it's just that to many are the same. I would like to see many new shards, like all Trammel and all Fel, classic, like we're talking about here. Arena, where if you log in you can watch PvP or you can take a moongate off of your shard to temporarily wait a turn to PvP. Faction shards, hard core PvP map, maybe this shard would allow you to pick any character and use them in huge wars where people from all shards can join in one single event.

The problem for me is why it wasn't done a long time ago? People say you would have to maintain it. I don't understand what that means. I build alot of maps, like Battlefield or use World builders, like Oblivion, now i'm making a Trainz Map, just for fun but I don't need to maintain them. What's that mean? All you do is build a landmass and drop stuff on it, like put a tree here, cool bally spawn there, add some landmass here for a light house. What would they need to maintain? It's not like the light bulb in the light house will blow out or you have to hire people to cut the grass, just takes a hard drive with alot of space?

My problem is not with having more shards, it's understanding how you're going to handle the problems. There should be none, right?

For example: let's say, we pick Pre AoS, i'm pretty sure that's what everyone agrees on and on the date we pick, we go back in time and the house is on fire or there is going to be a car crash in 5 days, 6 hours and 3 seconds, that's why I posted. We know the problems, how do we fix them?

What happens if let's say 300,000 people show up opening day but you can only place 50,000 homes? Do we add Trammel or do we change up the map a bit to accomodate more housing? Or we could just make Classic 1, Classic 2, but then if people stop playing the shard Classic 2 might not have enough people. That's all i'm saying. The more they add the better but it should be a done deal, so you don't have to add to it or maintain it or change it.

U

Unsatisfied

What happens if let's say 300,000 people show up opening day but you can only place 50,000 homes? Do we add Trammel or do we change up the map a bit to accomodate more housing? Or we could just make Classic 1, Classic 2, but then if people stop playing the shard Classic 2 might not have enough people. That's all i'm saying. The more they add the better but it should be a done deal, so you don't have to add to it or maintain it or change it.
Id love it. Housing should be for people who work hard for a place to store their stuff... I dont want everyone to be able to walk out into the bushes and find themselves a spot to place... Should have to work for it.

L

Longest Journey

You forgot a couple-

My house key got looted off of me once when I recalled to Wrong and got overwhelmed by some silver serpents and died. Another player ran up to my corpse and instead of rezing me, he looted me. Yeah, he was an ass, but, it happened. So, I ran back to Minoc, rezed, and went to the bank. It was then I realized, "Oh crap, I had my key on me". Thankfully, I didnt have my house rune on me. That NEVER left my bank box. So, the looter didnt know where my house was. The first thing I did was regeared and recalled back to my house and changed my locks. Worked like a charm.

As for getting killed in front of your house, there were counter measures to make sure the theif never got to your unsecure chests. Players used to lock down tables in front of their doors to block them off, like a barricade. A lot of players did this. Actually, now that I think about it, pretty much EVERYONE did that. So, if the theif DID manage to kill someone in front of your house and get your key, they bascially ran into a wall.

Access denied lol :hahaha:

Why would you have both your ship key AND your house key on you? And even then, why didnt you just run in your house and ban the red out and save yourself?

Second, why would you keep ANYTHING of value on your boat? The thing of most value I ever kept on my boat was bandages, a heavy x-bow and bolts, greater explosion potions, and maybe a few odd items I fished up.

Naked leg humpers existed past Trammel....... as a matter of fact, it got worse.......much worse and more annoying because the little pervs couldnt be killed.

Second, theives....no risk playstyle? Are you serious? Wow, you are a liar. And a bold one at that. Stealing was an extremely dangerous profession, especially that being even a naked theif was only successful 10% of the time, and especially when you'd go grey and everyone at the bank would swarm them. Did the theif manage to pull off the theft time to time? Yes. Was every bank in Britannia swarmed with them to the point where no one couldnt even get with in 10 paces of a bank...... no, absolutely not.

Im not saying it didnt happen, Im saying it wasnt some game breaking thing. That, and pretty much every player knew to move when that guy in his underwear was standing next to you at the bank, because he was up to no good.

You think those are good examples? They are examples of something, carelessness, nothing else.

Im sorry if you were one of those people who, when attacked in front of their house, panicked, froze, and didnt have the calm to open and door, run in, type in I ban thee, then click the red and save yourself, but that was your problem. And that is the strategy that any veteran of UO from those days would tell you. Run in the house and ban him. Or, to prevent someone from getting to your chests, lock down tables in front of the door to block anyone from getting in. So that way, if they do kill you, the jokes on them because only the owner can release the tables and move them.

Bascially, your bad memories are your own making. It wasnt the fault of the guy who killed you, it was yours for not planning ahead.

You just want the game to protect you, and that isnt want UO was about.

Never said it was. But it wasnt the nightmare that you and others who didnt like the PvP claim it was. People got killed and stolen from, but thats society for you. Especially medieval society, which UO's time took place in.

L

Longest Journey

Zyon Rockler said:
Well, if housing is such an issue, there are several ways to get around it.

For example, there are dozens of houses in the towns that are empty and just full of milling NPCs who do nothing. If they wanted to, the developers could allow players to buy or rent houses/buildings in side of towns.

Then theres the inns. Players could be allowed to rent rooms in inns like appartments.

Loosen up the no building zone rules. I remember dozens of areas that were close to town and deemed no building zones. Lift that and let players place there.

And, if 300,000 players come back, then they are going to HAVE to open up more servers to accomodate them because I dont think one UO server can support 300,000 players at once, not without crashing or causing unbelieveable lag.

However, I like youre thinking. 300,000 players would be awesome. :thumbup1:

L

Longest Journey

But I tought it was all about putting less... not more ?

Because all players true to UO care less about having a powerful artefact.

No offense but to me it's totally ridiculous... feels like a toy now, not a classic sandbox.

You know ?

Lego never build a robot that builds the stuff for you, it all relied on the creativity, which was great.

If you want a lego castle you don't buy a tower, then a dam... you make it all from scratch...

I'm sure you know...

They really ruined it all.

I mean unequivocally, ruined it.

Beleive it or not I'm still paying, I'm still trying to like it, because of the community ; because maybe the EMs will do something interesting.

But all I see now is classical WoW type quests, you can almost expect the ending, evil never really is a menace, it never really matters.

There is no mystery, no lore... no passion...
Agreed.

Back in the old days like T2A (aka Pre-Ren) players were the heros and villans, the nobles and the commoners, the good and the evil, and drove the ingame world.

We didnt need EM's back then. Players made the events, staged fight nights, and made things happen. Not this, "Lets wait and see what pointless storyline the EM's decide to throw us once in a blue moon".

Today, its all banksitters, scripters and gold spammers. Theres no risk, no danger, no excitement.

Youre right, the community lost its passion. And it lost its passion because the players who had it, left.

Want to get them back? Give them what they have been asking for since Reniassance......... A classic server.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two people agree with me !!!

Something big must be going on ! :)

And to those who say that only the pkers had fun... well I know cause I was a pker.

But when I got killed... you should have seen them celebrate. They would dance and serve beer and cookies... laugh and tease at me ghost.

10% statloss is NOT fun especially for a 7x GM... no more pking for a few months is what it meant... and probably trashing your character because it's hard to train again when everyone on the server hates you.

And even before that... even if they knew we'd be back a few hours later... they had freakin fun hunting us down. It was glorious.

I say bring it back !

U

Unsatisfied

We didnt need EM's back then. Players made the events, staged fight nights, and made things happen. Not this, "Lets wait and see what pointless storyline the EM's decide to throw us once in a blue moon".
your right, back then people made the game, there were events but thy were few and far between but there was still always action and people making fun, from what I here now if there's not a constant story line and quests and events people get bored. And for good reason I guess

L

Longest Journey

PKland? Oh, really? What game were you playing? Because, I dont remember anything about a PKland. I remember Britannia and Ultima Online. But, no, sorry, PKland doesnt ring a bell.

See, this is the problem. People like this posting things like PKland and rampant PKing, and all of that other propaganda.

The truth is, the PKing wasnt as bad as so many of those who couldnt handle the PvP claim. Were there PK's? Yes. Did they rule every server and dominate without opposition? Absolutely not.

I mean, the ridiculousness of the claims of people has been astounding in regards to how the PvP situation was in pre-trammel years. People like you make it sound as if you couldnt take two steps outside of town without getting swarmed by packs of ravenous, homicidial, foaming at the mouth lunatics who were all but unstoppable and every town was under seige. That is so far from the truth, its unfathomable.

In all the time I spent playing pre-trammel, I only encountered one, ONE large group of PKs, and that was in June of 1999 on Atlantic Shard. It was a group of 7 PKers in Deciet around the lich lord spawns. They were there attacking players who were recalling in to kill the Lich Lords. I went there with my Macer/lockpicker to kill the lichs and pick the chests for loot. I even remember EXACTLY what they looted. Yeah, I got ganked and lost a good silver power warhammer, a GM Iron Dex suit, a round metal shield, 50 lockpicks, 100 bandages, 30 fish steaks, 5 greater heal potions, 5 total refresh potions, and 5 cure potions. I had to run out of the dungeon, dead, and a mage who was willing to rez me. I didnt find a mage, but I found a GM healer who rezed me with bandages. Nice guy. Even lent me some recall scrolls and his Brit rune to get back to the mainland.

In Brit, I re-geared and announced to anyone who would listen there were 7 reds camping the lich lords in Deciet. I was overwhelemed by the response of the number of players who were willing to go there for the sole reason of killing those reds. Those reds soon found themselves out numbered by close to 15 other players, plus some others who joined in when the counter attack began. After the first skirmish the reds had either been killed and I think 2 of them managed to recall out. They came back with some red buddies of theirs and a small war erupted at the spawn. Blues vs Reds vs Lich Lords in a winner take all, battle royal. It was 18 on 17 plus about 4 or 5 Lich Lords getting their shots in.

The whole fight lasted about 10, maybe 15 minutes. Some of the best all across the board combat you could ever want. PvPvM. That was, by far, my most memorable time in UO. Ultimately, the reds were killed off and a few stragglers recalled out. I was among those who died in the fray, not before I took 3 of the reds with me. I got rezed by one of the mages who came with, looted my stuff off of my corpse, and someone even found and returned my silver/power warhammer to me (Easy enough since I was the only macer there).

It was incredible. The most immersive moment I have ever had in an MMO. No other has come even close to being able to provide an experience like that.

UO doesnt provide experiences like that anymore.

So, while naysayers cry phantom tales of total PK dominance, just remember the words of an old vet from long ago:

Reds did not dominate. Blue players fought back more often than you'd think and dominated more than the reds ever did. Most reds got that way by killing newbies and were actually weak cowards who died very quickly at the hands of an experienced player. Its reds like that who helped start the assumption that all PKs were griefers and wusses. I tell you now, they were not true PKs. We called them Ebolt fodder. It was always fun when Id put my red hunter on (GM Swords/tactic/parry/healing/archery/anatomy/resist spells), and find some creep harrasing miners or a lumberjack. A few smacks from my DP broadsword and they'd start running. Then I switch out to my heavy x bow and hunt them down through the woods. the damage from the bow plus the pulses from the poison and that red was dead before he knew what hit him. Id loot him, cut off his head, check the local bounty boards to see if he was on them. If he was on there, I turned in the head. If not, I got a new trophy.

There were Reds who were bad asses, the REAL PKs, but they were few and far apart and when you met them, it would be the fight of your life. They didnt bother with newbies, they wanted better prey. Guys like that were actually respectable. If you put up a good enough fight, they didnt even loot you. Some just took your head and moved on.

Some Reds worked for their guilds as assassins, going after specific targets who were either guildless, or were in a guild they werent at war with. There was actually politics behind the PvP. It wasnt all just random acts of violence.

It wasnt all glory and honor. There were moments that sucked big time. One time I was on my boat mining ore on the sea side of the mountains north of Minoc. Some guy came up on the gangplank of his ship and started taking the ore off of the deck of my ship. He boxed my boat in so I couldnt try to get away. The only option left to me was attack. I managed to beat him down, but he got in some good ebolts and flame strikes and I died. For some reason, he didnt loot my corpse, but he took the rest of the ore and said to me "Shouldn't have gotten nasty, pancake", then sailed away with several hours worth of work. I had to sail all the way back to Jeholm dead. My corpse disipated on the trip back and I was left with a boat I couldnt drop or get back onto. I lost my boat and all of my ore and the stuff on my corpse.

Was I angry? Hell yeah! Did I think to my self "This is total bull****!"? Most definitely. But the one thing I DIDNT do, was cry about it. I never called the guy a griefer, never complained on the forums, and I never whined to a Game Master.

You want to know what I did? I learned from the experience. It was after that I started carrying a bag full of explosion potions on my next boat along side my usual heavy crossbow. A few days later, I was back up at the seaside of the mountains mining. And who should come along but the guy who killed me and took my ore. He boxed me in....again..... and started to take the ore. "Just lay back, relax, let me do my thang and Ill let you go", he says.....pervert. I just typed in *grins* and started shooting at him with the heavy x-bow and chucking explosion pots onto his deck. The explosion pots helped interrupt his spells and the GM X-Bow was laying down some serious hurt on him. I kept myself healed and a minute later, he was dead.

It felt so good to say "Shouldnt have gotten nasty, pancake" to him. His OooOoOOOOOo's were like music to my ears......or eyes since it was all in text. He died close enough to the edge that I could go out on my gang plank and loot his corpse. To my surprise, he had several keys on him, all to boats he stole from other people. Even better, they were LOADED with ore. 4 boats whos holds was packed with ore.

I moved his boat out of the way so I could move mine out, took all of the ore off of his, got back on my boat, and left him there in the middle of the ocean. I made sure I double clicked the tillerman with the key to his boat on me so it would recognize me as captain so he couldnt steer it. Long story short, I cleaned out his storage boats, took them to dock, dropped them down to models, and stored them in my bank box.

Dont know what happened to Mr. Ore theif. Never saw him again after that.

Anyway, I could go on about all of the good and bad times I had in T2A. But I dont think the forum boards could hold them all.

So, Ill close it with this:

Dont believe Tanivar and the trammie propaganda. Listen to the words of the old vets who learned and thrived. Pre-Trammel wasnt a nightmare nor was it PKland. It most certainly wasnt a cake walk through the rose garden either. It was an era that challenged you to adapt and survive. And when you succeeded by GMing out that first skill, making your first 10k gold, placing your first house, completeing your first dungeon crawl, and earing the respect or fear of your fellow players, it made the moment all the sweeter.

If you want to feel that and experience that again, support a T2A (Pre-Ren) server and finally see what UO was truly meant to be.

U

Unsatisfied

@longest journey...
The bad news is these people supporting tramel wouldn't care if they were only pkee once. They want uo to be another mmo clone where they only have to fight on their terms...

Now the good news, they have 30 or so shards where they can do this now.

But more bad news, they seem greedy and want to take this one and make it not truely classic, thankfully I have a little bit of support in you and a couple more giving a voice to the countless people who have quit because of tram and aos trying to sway them... I hope it's the devs we get through to ultimately.

E

Evlar

I certainly don't recall rampant PK'ing... and that's without my rosy tinted "classic" UO goggles on too!!

As well has group hunts, which were either against monsters in dungeons, or guild v guild PvP (which is a BIG difference to PK), I would say that I actually enjoyed working my crafters as much as anything. If anything, the rare occasion I happened to fall prey to a red PK whilst out mining, added more spice to what really, is quite a monotonous task, especially if I knew it was an area where PK's were known to populate.

As for theives, well, playing a thief was risk versus reward. In all fairness, it was more risk. That made it a challenge! I might be a little biased having played a thief (though not since they ruined it as a skill), but if I was on the receiving end, I would blame myself for not paying attention. I certainly didn't take it personally. Any time I was the victim, I don't actually recall it being to a naked character either. A good thief wouldn't make themselves obvious right?

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for theives, well, playing a thief was risk versus reward. In all fairness, it was more risk. That made it a challenge! I might be a little biased having played a thief (though not since they ruined it as a skill), but if I was on the receiving end, I would blame myself for not paying attention. I certainly didn't take it personally. Any time I was the victim, I don't actually recall it being to a naked character either. A good thief wouldn't make themselves obvious right?
That's the biggest pile of crap I've read in this entire thread. Frooshie or trammie side. Leg humpers were on every shard and you couldn't swing a dead mongbat without hitting one. If you don't recall naked thieves then you didn't really play then. Pffft

PS - Classic shard = no tram. I can't believe it was even considered as a possibility. It doesn't even deserve discussion in this matter.

B

bjornef

i would say that pre is from the vstart any thing else is addon:sad3:

E

Evlar

That's the biggest pile of crap I've read in this entire thread. Frooshie or trammie side. Leg humpers were on every shard and you couldn't swing a dead mongbat without hitting one. If you don't recall naked thieves then you didn't really play then. Pffft
Must have depended on the shard you played on as to how much of a problem they were for you. If you were unfortunate enough to be a regular victim, or took it personally, then I can see where the tone of your response and "critique" of my own post is coming from. Likewise, I can understand your disdain towards the "naked" grief thief.

We all have different memories of the game as it was. I said...
Any time I was the victim, I don't actually recall it being to a naked character either.
Perhaps I was lucky. Perhaps I was more wary of the folks running around in their underpants. I'm not disputing the fact they were around. I just wasn't a victim to them. They made little or no impact on the game for me, rather that I just thought they were strange individuals.

I'm sorry, but I don't recall anywhere in my post that denied their existence. I suggest you actually read what's posted in the context of how it's written, rather than try to fill in any blanks to suit your own preferences. If you're referring to my join date to Stratics, it's simply the case that after an absence of around four years, I wanted to catch up on what I had missed. In the early days of playing UO, I simply played the game and didn't bother with anything like forums. There are still one or two people left from that bygone era on Great Lakes that remember me, that I played with at the time. Sadly, there were far less of them than I hoped to bump into again.

A good thief wouldn't make themselves obvious right?
Whenever I fell victim to a thief, they weren't obviously a thief. As someone else has already posted, it was pretty obvious when someone stood next to you in their undies, they were up to no good. You had the option to stay or move on. If someone used their skill and good tactical elements to their gameplay, whilst playing a thief character, then fair play in my book.

When I played a thief myself, I never ran around naked. All I wore was made by my own crafters, so could easily be replaced. Not a big issue. What I lost could be replaced.

As far as any griefing in general is concerned, I don't think that it's actually reduced in any way, shape or form from the "classic" days. All that's different, is it's proportionate to the current subscription levels.

Let's face it. People who play with the sole intention to annoy other players, will do just that, regardless of which direction the game has moved. In my opinion, it's up to the community to help get rid of these rotten apples. With sufficient reports to GM's, it's then up to them to take action. The effectiveness of such action, is another debate entirely.

W

wills

I feel compelled to comment. I’ve been away from the game a number of years, but have followed developments on and off in the time since, watching in particular for talk of a classic shard.

I’ve thought of returning to the game a number of times, but I have no interest in item-based, acquisition gaming. The reason I enjoyed the game in the past was for the necessary and active community, and I think the basic idea of this community is getting lost to some extent in all this quibbling over details.

Beyond a basic template of the old 7x skill system, and watching out for old exploits and easy griefing tactics (avoid the old key-based housing system for example, though I don’t care myself), it doesn’t matter to me whether or not this or that is included in a classic shard. The important thing is to escape the traps of an item-driven, over-saturated game and to return the focus to the community at large.

The issue of player-killing is overblown, but for the long-term sake of a classic shard, the developers probably want to take a look at it. Having both Trammel and Felucca, however, isn’t the answer, as that divides, and so, weakens the community. So I do think some tweaks to the classic model are called for; however, whatever they may be, I think it’s best to keep them simple and community-driven.

I’m no game developer, but I’ve always thought it would be interesting to have the towncriers (and other NPCs) serve a purpose in a player-based justice system. They could announce the presence of known player-killers in dungeons, etc. (basically the old bounty-list on steroids). So:

THE DREAD LORD KILLY MCKILLS HAS BEEN SPOTTED IN SHAME!

Etc.

Balance would be necessary, such that announcements would not always be made. I don’t even know if such a thing is possible, but the point is is that the focus here is on the community. Players would respond to this announcement; player killers would be anxious themselves. Are the player-killer killers on the way? Who needs stat loss?

Maybe not that, sure, but something can be done.

Looking forward to seeing what happens.

U

Unsatisfied

I love the idea of town criers announcing pkers in dungeons, I cant imagine it being difficult to script either.

Something I've noticed. There is a long list of people who want to see this classic shard happen in a pre tram, pre item based fashion who since getting on this thread have kept input up and been passionate about what happens with this shard. I havnt noticed one dedicated person for tram or against the shard all together... Anyone who dislikes the idea of the shard comes on and says, waste of devs time and resources, will fail maybe argues for 2 posts then leaves and never returns... The same can be said about pro Tram players.

So if you were to make this shard for those who will be passionate and dedicated to the shard, its a clear winner right now.

L

Longest Journey

Another one who blows things out of proportion.

Yes, you could swing a dead mongbat and not hit a naked theif. As a matter of fact, people caught on to the naked theives not too long after they started using that tactic. The only people who got stolen from by that nude gentlemen standing next to them were the most unattentive banksitting IM and ICQ yackers who were too caught up in their mindless chatting than watching their character and noticing the blatant thief robbing them blind.

And even then, if they DID manage to steal something from you, they were flagged grey and everyone proceeded to gank the thief. They would get torn apart more often then successfully stealing something then managing to bank it before they died. By the time they hit the "K" in bank, they were already dead and being looted by everyone else.

The real thieves were the ones who worked outside of town. The ones who would stop you on the road, dressed like a newbie, and say "Which way to Britain?" or some other inane question then pick something out of your pack and run off. Or in a dungeon, they would run up next to you acting like they were helping you kill a monster and steal your loot out of your backpack then recall out if you didnt notice in time. It was especially vexing for mages if a thief stole their mandrake root out of their bags leaving them defenseless against a monster or a red. Thats why you had to stay on your toes and be wary of who got too close to you.

I remember one time, back around them I was first starting out, I was in a vendor shop outside moonglow buying some supplies and two men walked in. "Box him in", said one to the other and they proceeded to block me in to the corner I was standing in. They both then began to steal items from my bag. They both went grey and I attacked them. They started to fight back with poisoned daggers. I managed to kill one of them, but the poison and the attacks from the other one got the better of me. Granted, the one who killed me wasnt happy about it. When I died, he went red. He started cursing up a storm, yelling at the ghost of his partner. The surviving thief looted my corpse and ran out, only to encounter another player who immediately attacked him and killed him. I rezed and caught up with the player who killed the thief and asked if they would give me my stuff back.

They laughed at me and recalled out.

So, I was left standing there in my death robe, ticked off, and there was nothing I could do about it. I didnt have a mountain of gold and didnt have a spare suit of gear. Luckily back then people liked to drop items on the ground. It was usually junk, a ruin dagger here, a guarding leather tunic there, a junk long sword, back packs, and other radom items of refuse. I spent an hour around moonglow bank picking up junk items, taking them to either the smith shop or the provisioner, and selling them for quick gold. This was an old newbie tactic called "Trash picking" that was great for making quick gold.

Anyway, I made enough gold to buy myself 2 suits of armor (ring/chain combo with norse helm sets due to my low strength and dex at the time), along with a bronze shield and 2 katanas. It was that day I learned a valuable lesson, try to stop as close to the entrance of a building as you can.

PS - Classic shard = no tram. I can't believe it was even considered as a possibility. It doesn't even deserve discussion in this matter.
Your attitude is dispicable. It really shines a light on the current player base of UO: A gaggle of spoiled little brats who cant think of anything but themselves. Why dont you go play World of Itemcraft if youre so obsessed with vieing for ridiculous neon anime items in a never ending rat race of pointlessness? A game where you have to be TOLD what to do, what meaningless little petty "quests" to lead you around from location to location like a nanny leading a child around an amusement park, because you lack the imagination, creativity and passion to RP and MAKE your own adventures.

The reason players like you dont want classic servers is because you fear them. You know that if they were made they would crush the post AOS servers with superior player numbers and prove once and for all that everything starting with and after Reniassance was a mistake. And that with the success of the classic servers, the post AOS servers would be shut down and you and all of your little punk item hoarder friends will be cast into the REAL UO where you wouldnt last 5 minutes.

UO was about player freedom. Freedom to go anywhere, do anything and be anyone. And, yes, that freedom included the freedom to take up arms in the name of evil and hunt and kill other players. It also meant the freedom to take up arms in the name of good and defend other players. It WAS a game where the players were the heros and villans, the driving force behind everything.

The player base was diverse, a mixing of different playstyles to make not a game, but a world. It was a world that felt alive with excitement.

What is UO now? Another vicitim of the EQ-WoW clone era with no soul, no heart, and no life. The player base? An abomination of selfishness, childishness, and item greed.

So while a Classic Shard = no trammel, it also = higher quality of game play and immersion the likes of which the current post AOS servers could NEVER offer.

And, yes, it is most definitely worth discussing and implimenting.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll begin by saying thieves were the only reason I believe trammel was needed, aside from housing. They were as bad as I said they were and there was more and more of them every day. Why? Because there was no risk in stealing and if they knew what they were doing there was nothing that could be done to stop them. 2 naked thieves could take anything they wanted and bank them if they worked together and it wasn't long before they all realized it. One of my most memorable UO days was when I got a rune inside a bank wall that was only 1 square. I knew if I was able to recall to that spot I could bank safely.

The reason players like you dont want classic servers is because you fear them. You know that if they were made they would crush the post AOS servers with superior player numbers and prove once and for all that everything starting with and after Reniassance was a mistake. And that with the success of the classic servers, the post AOS servers would be shut down and you and all of your little punk item hoarder friends will be cast into the REAL UO where you wouldnt last 5 minutes.
There are so many people that can't wait for this debate to finally be closed I assure you. On both sides each feel they are right. Until this is done it won't be known. It's laughable you think they will succeed to shut down the current servers. I can only assume that to be rhetoric as it has little to no basis in reality.

The only mistake with Renaissance was the way it was done. It was necessary to create and are where players could learn the basic mechanics of UO without being fed to the wolves while doing so.

I don't know where this second part of your rant came from. My statement may not have been clear but it was meant differently than it seems like you interpretted it. I don't believe a classic shard can have trammel. I don't feel that is an option for a classic shard and don't really understand why others would. I support the classic shard genius. I was in the "REAL UO". I activated my first account in Oct 98 and it has never been turned off. I opened many others since. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people act as if you didn't play UO in a given period if you don't remember it the way they do. My opinion is different than your's. Your glasses are rosier than mine.

T

Trebr Drab

I love the idea of town criers announcing pkers in dungeons, I cant imagine it being difficult to script either.

Something I've noticed. There is a long list of people who want to see this classic shard happen in a pre tram, pre item based fashion who since getting on this thread have kept input up and been passionate about what happens with this shard. I havnt noticed one dedicated person for tram or against the shard all together... Anyone who dislikes the idea of the shard comes on and says, waste of devs time and resources, will fail maybe argues for 2 posts then leaves and never returns... The same can be said about pro Tram players.

So if you were to make this shard for those who will be passionate and dedicated to the shard, its a clear winner right now.
I don't really like the idea of town criers announcing PKers. First, it takes away from the player's game play in going to a bank or guild headquarters and telling people, rousing up the defenders of justice, etc.
Secong, if they had this, PKers would know it, they'd just plan to hit and run faster. That would make them even harder to catch up with.

U

Unsatisfied

I don't really like the idea of town criers announcing PKers. First, it takes away from the player's game play in going to a bank or guild headquarters and telling people, rousing up the defenders of justice, etc.
Secong, if they had this, PKers would know it, they'd just plan to hit and run faster. That would make them even harder to catch up with.
I think it would work if it wasnt a 100% kinda thing, like there was a small chance that if they entered a dungeon it would be announced by town criers, so every now and then a geared group would hear they were there and come running, I think it would at least be worth a try. More risk for reds to gank in dungeons, more chance for blues to be protected in the dungeons.

L

Longest Journey

I'll begin by saying thieves were the only reason I believe trammel was needed, aside from housing. They were as bad as I said they were and there was more and more of them every day. Why? Because there was no risk in stealing and if they knew what they were doing there was nothing that could be done to stop them. 2 naked thieves could take anything they wanted and bank them if they worked together and it wasn't long before they all realized it. One of my most memorable UO days was when I got a rune inside a bank wall that was only 1 square. I knew if I was able to recall to that spot I could bank safely.
Well then you must have been playing a different game, because I dont remember the banks being overrun with naked thieves. So, unless they were targeting you specifically, youre either exaggerating the situation or just lying outright. I banked hundreds, if not thousands of times and only got picked once. It was at moonglow bank 4 weeks after I had started my first character. He picked some nightshade and a power xbow out of my pack. I saw he was grey and killed him. The only reason he got close enough to pick me was because he was already in some leather armor and I thought he wasnt a theif. Well, I was wrong and he picked my pack. The only reason I was able to get my stuff back was because I always kept my backpack open and noticed the items disappear. I went into war mode, saw this grey standing next to me, attacked him, and killed him.

There were many countermeasures to stop thieves, but they all required vigilance. The best weapon was....and pretty much everyone knew this.... dont stand near the naked guy. I mean, it wasnt even a week after they started doing it that people caught on to what they were doing. It became common knowlege. Players adapted and learned to 1.) Pay attention to who was around them at the bank and 2.) Move away from people who were standing near them with nothing equipped. If you did play back then, you'd remember that you had to stand right next to a person to peek their pack and initiate stealing. Right next to them. Not once space away. Right next to them. It was a BLATANT give away as to what they were up to.

Another point, if a classic server were to be made, nude thieves would be put out of business because of the fact that people know their old tricks and what to look out for. Experience would come into play now more than ever.

Those 2 naked thieves you claim could steal with no chance of being stopped would probably manage to steal something from about 1 person before everyone at the back would get that message in the corner of the screen "Jonny is attempting to steal X Item from Allan's backpack!" or "Jonny attempts to peek into Allan's backpack!" then know Jonny is up to no good and avoid him.

There are so many people that can't wait for this debate to finally be closed I assure you. On both sides each feel they are right. Until this is done it won't be known. It's laughable you think they will succeed to shut down the current servers. I can only assume that to be rhetoric as it has little to no basis in reality.
Laughable? The only thing thats laughable is the current state of UO and the hope that they can salvage the post AOS servers. The game just wasnt made to function with the changes that came with AOS and the past 7 years have been the soild proof of that.

The only mistake with Renaissance was the way it was done. It was necessary to create and are where players could learn the basic mechanics of UO without being fed to the wolves while doing so.
No one was fed to the wolves. Youre making it sound as if every new player was teleported to a room packed with reds and killed over and over for hours on end.

Spare us the :violin::sad2::violin::sad2:, because its been done to death. Players could learn the mechanics and learn them well, but you had to accept the fact that there are going to be others who will make an attempt on your life because that was the nature of the game, survival.

If it was so hard to learn the mechanics and things were so tough, then how come there were so many multiple time GM characters in game? Explain how there were any players who reached GM at all? How did those fearsome PKs and annoying thieves work up the skills to kill and steal with? The way you paint it, it sounds as if gaining skill or learning the game was next to impossible. And yet, there they were, GM warriors, mages, blacksmiths, miners, lumberjacks, archers, fencers, armsmen, stoics, and GMs in every skill imagineable in the game back then.

So, if learning how to play the game was such an insurmountable task, how'd those people do it?

Oh, thats right, they learned how to play the game and instead of crying when they got stolen from or killed.

I don't know where this second part of your rant came from. My statement may not have been clear but it was meant differently than it seems like you interpretted it. I don't believe a classic shard can have trammel. I don't feel that is an option for a classic shard and don't really understand why others would. I support the classic shard genius. I was in the "REAL UO". I activated my first account in Oct 98 and it has never been turned off. I opened many others since. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people act as if you didn't play UO in a given period if you don't remember it the way they do. My opinion is different than your's.
See, you keep saying you started back in Oct. 98, but I dont believe it. If you did, then you wouldnt be using naked thieves as a reason for Trammel. Because, if you did in fact play back then, then you would know all of the old countermeasures to thieves. The biggest counter was paying attention to what you were doing and who was around you, and not yacking away in ICQ or some other IM service.

Your glasses are rosier than mine.
Oh yes, because UO was such a cake walk back then.....(if you cant tell, Im being sarcastic)

Rosier? Hardly. I remember UO clearly. No rosiness, no easy street. It was hard, and challenging, but thats what made it good. Yes, players were stolen from and were killed and looted, but it wasnt to the point where you couldnt even approach a bank or set foot outside town.

No, I just accept UO for what it was and dont whine about the thieves and murderer, but instead speak from experience and tell of how I overcame those obstacles, just as many many many others did. How do you think I learned to over come the reds and thieves? On my own? Partly. I also learned by listening to more experienced players, actually asking for advice instead of just crying and complaining when things didnt go my way, and learning how to survive. Thats not "rose colored glasses", thats telling it like it was. No exaggerations, no propaganda.

You and all who think like you keep painting the nightmareish picutre of naked thieves and hordes of reds overruning everything and making game play impossible when it couldnt be father from the truth. Were they wuss punk reds who preyed soley on new players? Yes. Did these guys get their asses kicked a lot by people who actually knew how to fight? Definitely.

If there was a classic server, would there me moments that put a player down into the mud and seem like the odd are against them? Im not going to lie, there will be. But its those moments that define what kind of player they are. Will they stand up, dust themselves off and prove their strength and over come things? Or will they give in and run away crying?

The old rules seperated the wheat from the chaff, the strong mature players from the weak and immature. And that is something UO needs now more than ever.

Give players back the risk, the reward, the danger and the excitement and the developers will see what UO was and could be once again.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See, you keep saying you started back in Oct. 98, but I dont believe it. If you did, then you wouldnt be using naked thieves as a reason for Trammel. Because, if you did in fact play back then, then you would know all of the old countermeasures to thieves. The biggest counter was paying attention to what you were doing and who was around you, and not yacking away in ICQ or some other IM service.
I like you. You're hillarious. You have a little froth on the corner of you mouth though. Might want to get that.

Naked thieves knew the tactics people used against them. 1 thief stole the item knowing they would get whacked and the other waited to loot the item off their buddy. It was simple and effective and there was no protection save not going to the bank or ,as many people in those days did,(I know this because someone told me as you have already deduced I didn't play then) they had enough hiding on their character to bank in peace. They were a nuisance and provided nothing to the value of the game.

Those that played thieves absolutely loved them and had every right to. It was a plethera of noobs ripe for the picking. Nearly all the thieves playing then are just as fervent as you are about the times back then. They all proclaim it was easy to counter the thieves just as you do. If it was so easy to counter why were there so many of these types of thieves?

I await the next book that will be your response.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry you feel that way.

If Ea does a Classic Shard; which means running and maintaining it properly, subscriptions will double.
^^This^^

Is absolute conjecture and hyperbole,.

Oh...I know YOU believe it, Heartseeker.

hey...how is that amazing game "Darkfall" doing? The "Savior" Game for all who LOVE Non Con PvP!!!???

Do none of you see...as soon as any "Classic" Shard is introduced, the non-stop fighting about what should/shouldn't be "Added"...LOL

NOTHING can be added and stay Classic.

What part of that do you not understand? I mean...srsly?

You folks that think "Build It and They Will Come" are forgetting...

9 people coming to a Classic Shard isn't going to "Double Subscriptions". Well...maybe it will for the PvP folks. rolleyes:

If Darkfall and the other miserable failures that tout "Danger" and "Open PvP" as the reason to play those games all failed...

Why would "Classic UO PvP" be such a draw?

Because it was "Super Fun" in 1997?

OK...but going back to my original point:

Heartseeker...you act like you "Know" what will happen.

HINT: Your fantasy is only reality to you.

Only to you.

:thumbup1:

Model Ts used to be all the rage too. So did Atari.

Status
Not open for further replies.