• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cu Sidhe Builds

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello,
I did release and retame my cu-cidhe and now it at three slots. It kept the training progress it already had.
Is that pet of some use? I think i'll go for the chiv/ai build, as it will most likely used for balrons, blood eles and a peerless every now and than.

View attachment 78246

Is the disco trained on pets a full replacement for a disco tamer? Meaning can I stone away music and disco and still be just as effective?

When do I have to add the scrolls? I'm planning on 110 skills. Do I have to add them before I level up the pet or am I basically reserving points on the pet planner?

With kind regards,
Kas Althume
It will be a decent pet. Put AI on it also.

Pets do not cast the spells you want them to cast on the targets you want. Also your pet will not have a slayer instrument. You will have to get the pet to 120 Disco for it to be useful against tough things.

Use the steps I gave above for the 2 rounds.

Skrylox

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First round went well.

700 Str is a must.

On the last round put:
Inc max base damage
Str 700
Put on Chiv and the chiv scroll. (use the highest scroll you can) (cant got Goo since you put AI on already)
HP Regen to max
Mana to 500 or 600 you choose

Depending on what chiv scroll you may have some more points left.

You can put them anywhere.

You will have a fine dog!
It appears i can do 120 chiv , 500 mana , str 700 , max dmg base to 22 (max), HP regen max, HP to 800 and also get one skill to 115. Suggestions? I was thinking tactics? leaves me 19 more points to put somewhere maybe stam regen

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Leave the HP low and put on the scrolls you have. Use the pet and dont finish training. You may have room for some HP. Scrolls are important to a good pet. But you can not remove them.

Take the pet and scrolls to test center and build it there. If you like it build it on your shard.

Skrylox

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Leave the HP low and put on the scrolls you have. Use the pet and dont finish training. You may have room for some HP. Scrolls are important to a good pet. But you can not remove them.

Take the pet and scrolls to test center and build it there. If you like it build it on your shard.
ok thanks I put the 110's on last round and can do a 115s if i leave the HP at 700. I think that frees up 300 points. Should i do many 115 or leave 110's with a few 120 (they are 100 points each and this is after the 120 chiv)?

Skrylox

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think I answered my own question. i put chiv on in TC and the below looks like the end result. i just don't want to ruin this pet but think I may have done ok? 730 hp too low? I don't have the scrolls but will add them over time. i'll buy the chiv however to start

upload_2018-3-9_21-22-12.png

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I think I answered my own question. i put chiv on in TC and the below looks like the end result. i just don't want to ruin this pet but think I may have done ok? 730 hp too low? I don't have the scrolls but will add them over time. i'll buy the chiv however to start

View attachment 78328
Not a bad pet at all, plus it is premium color. If you have not given it Chiv yet : Hold chiv for now: Try to bring up healing first, and after you GM healing I would also scroll healing if you have 110-115 healing, and build healing to max. If you add chiv or magics that do healing spells, healing will still rise but very very slowly Healing is a painful skill to raise, but probably worth it at the end. Try giving it some hps, manna regen to max, since without mana he wont do heals, dex and stam to 150 so he gains faster, use whispering as much as you can, and feed..before you add the magic chiv, etc. It will take time but patience will reward you..700-750 hps is ok for Cus with healing and consume and magic healing..If you want for single target I would not add AoE (other that the AoE from Chiv)..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Healing is so slow to gain, it hurts..lol but will raise eventually just use whispering a lot. Try the poisoning dinos from a distance, or rotting corpses in Doom also slugs at lower healing level may work..

Skrylox

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Healing is so slow to gain, it hurts..lol but will raise eventually just use whispering a lot. Try the poisoning dinos from a distance, or rotting corpses in Doom also slugs at lower healing level may work..
I was gaining by parking it outside of moonglow GY. The shades poison a ton but eventually I'll resist it all. All are scrolled to 110 so perhaps I'll just work those until capped then scroll to 120s

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I was gaining by parking it outside of moonglow GY. The shades poison a ton but eventually I'll resist it all. All are scrolled to 110 so perhaps I'll just work those until capped then scroll to 120s
sounds like a good plan..

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saved 200 points and Ill store this till I decide to choose the 2 abilities.
My dog finally rebonded. Since I cant do a character copy from siege I cant test this myself. Does that mean that the points I do not spend on round 1 will be added to the totals i get after round 2 of training? I thought I had to spend as many points as possible.

From the UO wiki related to this toppic:
Animal Training – Ultima Online
"Should you accidentally find you have points left at the end of the process and no where available to use them, mouse over the red button on the above gump this gives the message: Cancel Training Process. All remaining points will be removed. Click the button to remove your left over points."

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My dog finally rebonded. Since I cant do a character copy from siege I cant test this myself. Does that mean that the points I do not spend on round 1 will be added to the totals i get after round 2 of training? I thought I had to spend as many points as possible.

From the UO wiki related to this toppic:
Animal Training – Ultima Online
"Should you accidentally find you have points left at the end of the process and no where available to use them, mouse over the red button on the above gump this gives the message: Cancel Training Process. All remaining points will be removed. Click the button to remove your left over points."

No no do not push that button. The points will go poof and will not go to the next round.

Use all your points like I showed in a post above for the first round and your dog will have the basics done. Then choose one of the skill sets in the pics.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
From what I've seen you never have too many points and nowhere to put them unless you are finishing the final round and you get there. You can almost always put the extra left over points on the mana pool..Di you try that? Its a mistake to lose any training points..unless you are at finish of slot 5..?

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any comments to my plan?

wulfi2.png

For the training from 4->5 I plan on adding chivalry, get all skills to 110 and maybe add some hp regeneration and some more hitpoints. Did I forget something?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Max base damage on the last round. Put chiv on, put scrolls on. It needs 500 or 600 mana. The rest in HP regen.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a specific reason why max base damage belongs to the last round? Its only 15 points which would allow me to only add 5 hitpoints this round. Wouldnt it be the same to add some more hitpoints in the last round?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a specific reason why max base damage belongs to the last round? Its only 15 points which would allow me to only add 5 hitpoints this round. Wouldnt it be the same to add some more hitpoints in the last round?
Pet slots determine base damage. At four slots its maximum damage can not be increased. Some pet types can be increased in earlier rounds. But all pets need it in the last round.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welp .. the pet is ruined now. It jumped a slot.

Why did that happen? In my first screenshot you can clearly see 3->5 slots. I've just put 1502 points on it. I followed my plan as posted above (removed base max damage and added more hp). Now the cu says 5->5.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesnt that screw some stats aswell? I do believe it's what I read in other threads, where tamers had their pets suddenly go wild and after a retame they where ruined.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chivalry + Armor Pierce + Essence of Earth

This dog kills stuff just fine. The area damage is physical it does not affect as large of an area as Goo. It does cause the dog to change targets just like any other area ability.

Armor Pierce damage is very similar to AI damage.

upload_2018-4-20_23-52-34.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mysticism + Armor Pierce + Goo

The Mystic and Goo put out a lot of area damage and cause mobs to target the pet and the pet to change targets a lot. It works fine tho. Another variety of an AoE build. Pet heals and cures itself. After you have your Chiv dogs, this is a nice one to play with.

upload_2018-4-30_23-40-22.png

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A great many thanks for all this advice and the different builds. They make a player aware how versatile pets have become. I'd taken a break from UO, and wasn't sure if I'd bother with the training system. A friend taught me how to train to 100%, but even after that, the system sounded so mysterious. Now I feel I know where to go from where my friend left me, and I'm confident I can build a pet to something truly sweet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A great many thanks for all this advice and the different builds. They make a player aware how versatile pets have become. I'd taken a break from UO, and wasn't sure if I'd bother with the training system. A friend taught me how to train to 100%, but even after that, the system sounded so mysterious. Now I feel I know where to go from where my friend left me, and I'm confident I can build a pet to something truly sweet.
The addiction will soon be high in you.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Just one more... Just gotta train one more pet tonight. Lol I get the shakes if I don't train at least two a day

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
Mysticism + Armor Pierce + Goo

The Mystic and Goo put out a lot of area damage and cause mobs to target the pet and the pet to change targets a lot. It works fine tho. Another variety of an AoE build. Pet heals and cures itself. After you have your Chiv dogs, this is a nice one to play with.

View attachment 80841
I built one like this and can confirm it's definitely potent. I use my chiv cu and mystic cu the most.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Discord + AI + Goo

This one is my Disco Dog. I hate skilling. Discord works great. He did the Mirendex Pit. The discorded mobs died a lot faster than the non. That's the last one. All the colors except Blaze. Built to different specs.

upload_2018-5-5_20-31-13.png

Neton

Journeyman
i have a low stat premium color dog (520hp) so i am planning to build a single target fight non magical dog. what would be the best build then? is poisoning + Venomous Bite plus 120 all the way a good choice? or dragon breath + AI and HP all the way?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
i have a low stat premium color dog (520hp) so i am planning to build a single target fight non magical dog. what would be the best build then? is poisoning + Venomous Bite plus 120 all the way a good choice? or dragon breath + AI and HP all the way?
I would probably try to get a better HP 570-600 HP premium color (Red, White, Black) one, with decent initisl resists, low cold and energy if possible. I have seen them as low priced in stables and from chat pet sellers.
Also Poisoning will only be as level 1 despite GM poisoning at present due to "bug" unfixed indefinitely.
Dragon breath would be pretty useless unless dog has very high HPS.
Scrolling to 120's will cost probably 150 M, very pricey: Would reserve that for better stat pet.
I am assuming that by premium you do not mean Blaze color Cu : If you have that unless you are very rich you may want to sell for Platinum (Billions) $$ if you can find a buyer, or train it.
If you decide to invest the time and gold to train it, what you train it as spec, will depend a lot on what you want to fight. Would spend a little time reading the posts here "A to Z" etc. before you do much. Also would spenc a little time on TC1 and see what can be done with the dog.
Also : If it is a Pre Patch 4 slot dog, as it stands now will not revert to 3 slots by release-retame, and probably is best not to train at all, and keep in stables for now, and as a show item or collector item.
I hope this helps, and welcome to the game..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My AI, Lightning Force works well.

110 scrolls and a 120 magic scroll makes a good magic dog and you have 300 points to spare.

Last edited:

Neton

Journeyman
I would probably try to get a better HP 570-600 HP premium color (Red, White, Black) one, with decent initisl resists, low cold and energy if possible. I have seen them as low priced in stables and from chat pet sellers.
Also Poisoning will only be as level 1 despite GM poisoning at present due to "bug" unfixed indefinitely.
Dragon breath would be pretty useless unless dog has very high HPS.
Scrolling to 120's will cost probably 150 M, very pricey: Would reserve that for better stat pet.
I am assuming that by premium you do not mean Blaze color Cu : If you have that unless you are very rich you may want to sell for Platinum (Billions) $$ if you can find a buyer, or train it.
If you decide to invest the time and gold to train it, what you train it as spec, will depend a lot on what you want to fight. Would spend a little time reading the posts here "A to Z" etc. before you do much. Also would spenc a little time on TC1 and see what can be done with the dog.
Also : If it is a Pre Patch 4 slot dog, as it stands now will not revert to 3 slots by release-retame, and probably is best not to train at all, and keep in stables for now, and as a show item or collector item.
I hope this helps, and welcome to the game..
thank you for the advise. it is a white dog which is not easy to find a good one. i have trained everything up to 100 and undecided what to upgrade for both rounds. i guess i will keep looking then

Neton

Journeyman
My AI, Lightning Force works well.

110 scrolls and a 120 magic scroll makes a good magic dog and you have 300 points to spare.
sorry i dont get the logic behind it, i probably missed something. 1st, it already has 50% energy damage, why add lightning force again with energy damage? 2nd, in one of ur post, low stat dog should skip magical ability. are you referring something else for the 120 scroll?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I prefer building my Cu Sidhes as pure tanks, since that's where they really shine. I have other pets that can dish out more damage than a Cu Sidhe (Beetles, Crimson/Platinum Drakes, etc). I put Feint on my Cu Sidhe to reduce the amount of damage he takes, and he's the best pet i've seen so far for tanking Exodus. I don't really use him that much, so i haven't bothered to slap on a 120 Wrest, Resist, Anat, Focus, Med or Bushido PS on him yet.
Cu 1.PNG Cu 2.PNG Cu 3.PNG Cu 4.PNG Cu 5.PNG Cu 6.PNG Cu 7.PNG Cu 8.PNG

Last edited:

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Im not entirely convinced that adding 200 extra HP over keeping it at around 700HP will make it a better tank.
600 points that could be put into something else.

With high resist, 120 healing and HPR that's where your CU will shine.
200 extra HP is just a little extra buffer, if it cant tank through 700 HP it's not going to tank 900HP either (just will die a little slower).

CUs can be awesome damage pets.
For EM events CU's is the only thing that work in high lag situations, or if players block the path (mount the cu, run up to boss, unmount and have it attack. Pathing can be stupid sometimes for any pet.).

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
sorry i dont get the logic behind it, i probably missed something. 1st, it already has 50% energy damage, why add lightning force again with energy damage? 2nd, in one of ur post, low stat dog should skip magical ability. are you referring something else for the 120 scroll?
Concern is correct, but it would depend on whether Lightning Force also lowers energy resistance..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its just a second ability that works well. You can use 110 scrolls for all the melee and stuff. If you add a magic you need to use a 120 for the Magic.

Using the 100 scrolls will save 300 points. Only putting AI and a magic will save another 100.

So you can put AI and a magic with a 120 scroll and put 110s on the rest. That would make up for the low HP.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So has there been anything changed with the special abilities in recent patches? I'm pretty boring when it comes to my Cu's. I tend to go with Chiv + AI. Is it worth adding conductive blast now or anything else?

If I add armor ignore, then chiv, will it remove the option to add a special ability later?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately nothing is different. An AI/mysticism is not bad.

Can't add specials after chiv.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Have any of you built a Cu with just AI and Conductive Blast (no magic)? Just wondering how he would do. Mana wouldn't be a problem. Probably wouldn't even need to take mana regen.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately nothing is different. An AI/mysticism is not bad.

Can't add specials after chiv.
Thanks mate. I will just stick to good old chiv + AI.

I have got a mystic + AI one but I found it just seemed to waste mana by casting stupid stuff a lot of the time. That being said the chiv one does like to go crazy with the holy light spam sometimes.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have any of you built a Cu with just AI and Conductive Blast (no magic)? Just wondering how he would do. Mana wouldn't be a problem. Probably wouldn't even need to take mana regen.
That was the first Cu I fully built after testing different things. CB lasted a lot longer at first. They did a ninja nerf on it long ago.

It's a decent non magic build. Also lightning force/AI.

They just kill slower than any magic. They kill greater dragons and paragons fine.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How would mana regen not be a problem. In regards to pets mana usage the drain is AI, not chivalry.

With just AI and max mana recovery (focus/med/int/MR), you are looking at 8.5 times a minute max.

Conductive Blast costs 30 mana like AI.

BUt then we are talking about CU here who use mana on bleed and healing also.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya I didn't read the second part. They need mana regen.

I have never made a pet without MR, focus and meditation.

I could tell they needed it without knowing costs.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm distraced by the pets off my porch. 20180724_184409.jpg

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I always thought the magics were the mana drainers.
No, make a pet with some mana recovery and chivalry, they will stay close to 100%, now make a pet with just AI & MR/focus/med/370 int and watch how fast that pet depletes it's mana.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
No, make a pet with some mana recovery and chivalry, they will stay close to 100%, now make a pet with just AI & MR/focus/med/370 int and watch how fast that pet depletes it's mana.
My triceratops has AI and most of the time I check it, it has max mana. I'm not sure what the deal is with him, he just rarely uses any abilities.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After watching my dogs fight - with Chiv it always seems to mana dump AI until its hovering with low mana (under 40). A high mana pool doesn't seem as advantageous as higher mana regen in these cases. Putting the points into MR 30 and 120 Med and Focus seem more worthwhile than adding mana.

Thats my thinking lately anyways. Instead of building high mana Cu's I leave them at 300 or 350 mana and then make sure I max the mana regen. Better to regen during the fights that start with a big pool I think. This is because I fight mainly big game with them that requires longer battles. If you plan to kill quicker foes or maybe for PvP you would think differently and want big mana pool for a quick fight?

Thx for the input and views. I'm building Cu's on like 3 shards. I finally got into the taming and its been addicting.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
All I’ve my Cus I’ve used roughly the same template. Conductive blast (because it stacks with RC when I multi client), armor ignore, and chiv. I keep mana around 300 (less if I can’t afford the point dump) and max the mana Regen. I rarely set hit points above 650 because my taming template involves some vet intensive fights and I’m just used to throwing bandis at the damage.

To each their own I suppose, but 120 med and 120 focus plus 30 MR is where I’ve noticed the most success.