• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jeremy, could we have an official statement?

• Thread starter Priam_Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teufel_Hund

Thanks
Perfect
What I thought.
Confirmation in general is all I was and others were asking.
That brings my game stress down.

Now I am only 50% paranoid.
Back to my normal state.

I did by 40 dye tubs at 60k each to sell at 90k. Is that okay?
lol you should be shot for buying that many dye tubs! Any good merchant knows you can't give those things away! ;)

C

Connor_Graham

Again.. how do you know what is the market norm? Is what is for sale in Atl-Luna the market norm? Should my shard Baja price the same? Is Luna the norm or is it Yew, Zento or Malas? I have been scouring stratics for some price list on all items in the game... did I miss it?

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM
Do you actually believe that someone will buy from the first vendor they see has the item they're looking for? No, they'll shop around at all of the vendor malls and Luna shops before they make a bulk purchase in which they're spending millions. Anyone that's out to buy multiples usually does so because they're looking to buy low & sell high, and already know what the prices are, so should know if something is priced at half of what the norm is, it's probably a dupe. Even if they're not normally buying multiples, they're going to have an idea of what they run before they go out to spend the gold on it, if for no other reason than to know how much gold they would need to make the purchase.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've known about these vendors for months and today they are still there. There's practically a club forming with all the people that go check to see if this house is still there on a daily basis.

hmmm what should we name the club ? :p

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thinking about buying a bkit today am I safe?
As a rule of thumb, if you buy it burn it. I wouldn't let it sit around on your account for any period of time.

There are SO many duped runics out there. I would bet that 90% of all kits in circulation are dupes.

Jeremy - Can you confirm that percentage?

R

RavenWinterHawk

lol you should be shot for buying that many dye tubs! Any good merchant knows you can't give those things away! ;)
hehe
well the 20% rule would cost them at 72k. I might be greedy at 90k.
And if I get in trouble 50k to move them is a small loss.

But I am an addict so...
And besides in need to fill up the space from the space i freed up with the collection turn ins.

R

Revenant2

The willingness of people to take secondhand protestations of innocence at face value appalls me.
Part of that willingness is there because the protestations supporting guilt are not being made visible. Privacy policy etc. I know but, the fact remains that it's not there.

These aren't secondhand accounts actually, the people posting are expressing their firsthand experience.

The picture that's emerging is that people who were simply found in possession of a smallish number of these duped items - - - consumer, purchaser levels of them, not even reseller levels - - - got banned. Assuming this is the case, I'll point out that being heavy-handed in this is a double-edged sword.

A thing like this will make people think to themselves, can I trust the market? Can they put stuff on a vendor and feel sure that vendor will be there tomorrow? Can they buy that 12 mill crimmy they see sitting on that vendor, is it a risk? In one perspective, scaring people into being less willing to buy something that might be a dupe etc. sounds good. But there's a problem in that this whole system is basically set up by you guys (EA) and having people being cautious and distrustful builds toward a distrust toward you, not just of other players. It makes people lose confidence in the system as a whole and has the effect of making people pull away.

I cannot know if the person who rents me my vendor space might (unintentionally) do something to get banned, and then the house and my vendor get deleted. And realize, there's no 100% EA sanctioned way to sell stuff in the wide open market, what we have is vendor placement in high traffic areas and that's that. If I see a good-priced crimmy or a good-priced heartwood fletching kit, it's a malfunction of sorts to have to feel afraid to buy it. Or if I sell something at a low price, it's a malfunction if that scares my potential customers.

When I go to the grocery store I don't wonder if the food is booby-trapped, and the same kind of expectation of a trustable, working system follows me into Luna.

Like I said, heavy handedness here is a double edged sword.

* I especially find the outright deletion of the people's houses
* (before any appeal process would have been started by them)
* to be intimidating. It communicates that if something happened
* to me, and it was unfair and EA changed its mind later, things
* are still over.

BTW I have one main account, that makes a single "oops you're banned and your stuff is deleted" a pretty big deal.

It creeps me out that my friend might have been banned except that he burned the hammers he bought on Atlantic soon after he got them. He doesn't even read Stratics forums regularly, and he was about to go innocently looking for a few more hammers to buy when I told him um, they aren't there anymore! He didn't even burn his first hammers out of fear, it was just because he wanted to see all the neat weapons they would make.

R

Rainbow Stu

great so if i buy anything i have to burn it right away. this is just stupid. I have been saving gold for the last month to go out and buy some higher end stuff to make stuff for my guys and now i have to wonder how long I have left before I get banned for just buying something.

P

packrat

oh dear i would LOVE to see that...**** i would invite ya all over for beer just to see that !!!
I'll bring the beer over. I wouldn't want to miss that either.
I also got a message from that guy asking to go on his freeshard. I pay for misery why would I want to get it for free? :danceb:

R

RoycroftLS

I'm not saying everyone is innocent but THERE IS NO WAY FOR AN HONEST PLAYER TO LOOK AT A VENDOR AND KNOW IT IS DUPED ITEMS OR NOT.
Sure there is. It's called common sense.

When a player looks to buy something, it's either something they are looking to use or something they are looking to resell. For example, say the item is a high-level runic.

If the person is buying it to use it, they are a crafter. A crafter is obviously going to have some experience with obtaining and using runics, and know that the high level runics are rare because they are difficult to obtain through normal means. Common sense should tell them that if a vendor is stocking a large quantity of those runics, then they probably weren't obtained legally.

If the person is buying it to resell it, they are a merchant. A merchant has to know market prices and general supply and demand of products to be able to survive. More specifically, a product with a high asking price like a runic is in high demand or low supply, and it's not difficult to determine which of those is the case. Common sense should tell them that if a vendor is stocking such an item in high amounts (or for low prices), then those items probably weren't obtained legally.

The devs have already stated that they won't ban people for buying just a couple duped items. It would take ignorance or carelessness for an honest player to be caught buying the tens or hundreds of items needed to get banned. Neither of those should be an acceptable excuse, because they would be the rallying cry of every person who would ever get banned.

R

RavenWinterHawk

great so if i buy anything i have to burn it right away. this is just stupid. I have been saving gold for the last month to go out and buy some higher end stuff to make stuff for my guys and now i have to wonder how long I have left before I get banned for just buying something.

People, I think Jeremy just implied its a good number of items, not realistically achieveable buy (pun intended) the honest or mostly honest players.

I think there is a cool down period arriving.

T

Teufel_Hund

I'll bring the beer over. I wouldn't want to miss that either.
I also got a message from that guy asking to go on his freeshard. I pay for misery why would I want to get it for free? :danceb:
You are a sick sick person...and in good company!

R

Rainbow Stu

People, I think Jeremy just implied its a good number of items, not realistically achieveable buy (pun intended) the honest or mostly honest players.

I think there is a cool down period arriving.

Still it seems I will wait a good while longer before buying anything. I have spent Almost 10 years playing this game off and on and not going to get banned for something I can not control.

L

Lady_Mina

No fun. hehe.

Well, I hope you guys are not done because I saw quite a few of the main cheaters happily restocking their vendors yesterday :/
Wich reminds me...is mister Kbit still around?

Kbit = the guy who runs several vendors on several shards , selling barbed kits for 2 mill each.
Of wich someone supplied us with screenies from several shards...since she emailed them to the EA staff but noone replied and the guy was still happily restocking his vendors.

I'm getting a bit fired up..cause i have a lot of trader friends.
And i don't want to see them get banned for being 'a trader' and trying to make profit by buying items ON A FREE marcket and reselling them with a little profit.

EA should trace trades.
Even in WoW they can trace trade into the smallest detail.

i'm sorry but i agree with Theo...
A lot of my friends are traders...only a few are grinders like me.
I don't want to see them get banned for buying stuff with their hard earned cash..and reselling it with a little profit and then end up getting banned.

You should rather monitor what people are doing with those 15days trail accounts...cause that's what dupers do..they use those 15 days trail accounts.
Monitor those and you'll find the source....monitor those 15days trail accounts...that do nothing.
That don't seem to gain skill and are already in possession of expensive items.
All those 15 days free accounts with those barbed kits on it...but don't seem to have the tailoring skill to use them...or get them from bods...

Y

Yalp

Do you actually believe that someone will buy from the first vendor they see has the item they're looking for? No, they'll shop around at all of the vendor malls and Luna shops before they make a bulk purchase in which they're spending millions. Anyone that's out to buy multiples usually does so because they're looking to buy low & sell high, and already know what the prices are, so should know if something is priced at half of what the norm is, it's probably a dupe. Even if they're not normally buying multiples, they're going to have an idea of what they run before they go out to spend the gold on it, if for no other reason than to know how much gold they would need to make the purchase.
I believe that all people are different, have different play styles and purchase prices they can live with. I believe that not everyone comes to stratics and spends hours combing over the threads here. I believe some people have bought kits over the course of months/years. I believe that some people have gotten them illegally. I believe that some people have come by duped kits honestly. I believe it's dangerous to assume all people behave exactly the same, whether it's in a game or irl. I believe there are some addicted to this game. I believe there are some casual players. I believe some people have millions in gold, I believe some people don't own 1 million gold check.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wich reminds me...is mister Kbit still around?

Kbit = the guy who runs several vendors on several shards , selling barbed kits for 2 mill each.
Of wich someone supplied us with screenies from several shards...since she emailed them to the EA staff but noone replied and the guy was still happily restocking his vendors.

got info pls send it in right now to Jeremy so they can get the rest of the slightly missed dupers

D

DeadMeat

In addition to the bannings, can you go through and just delete all duplicated items?

As a longtime lurker and 8 year vet I add a AMEN to this question. I would have NO problem with a few things I have aquired in all my years of IDOCing, buying and (shhh) stealing in Fel, going POOF if it ment my house and account were safe!!!

There have been more than a few times I got lucky at an IDOC and called a GM for an assesment of odd things I aquired therin.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Still it seems I will wait a good while longer before buying anything. I have spent Almost 10 years playing this game off and on and not going to get banned for something I can not control.
Yeah me too. But like I said 50% less paranoid.

B

Bannon

I'm not saying everyone is innocent but THERE IS NO WAY FOR AN HONEST PLAYER TO LOOK AT A VENDOR AND KNOW IT IS DUPED ITEMS OR NOT.
Amen, brother.

I just heard a friend of mine got banned and she's about the nicest gal you'd ever meet. This is not a person that would duplicate items or cheat in any way. On one hand, I'm upset that this "halberd of justice" did rend her account asunder, and on the other I don't know what to do with the barbed kits I've purchased as an investment over the last year are duped or not. I don't know if that crimmy I bought from someone at the bank is a legitimate item. Those bronze hammers? Who knows? Oh, by the way, you can get banned for owning those as well. But maybe not.

How can I protect my account? Should I clean out my bank box, demolish my house and return to newbie status, abandoning all I've worked for? Should I live in fear that some random developer will find the handful of possibly duped items I've purchased over the years and swing this halberd in my direction?

I don't have an easy solution to the problem. I don't know how items are duped. I'd gladly tell you if I did, I'd gladly report anyone (even a guildmate) that was duping without hesitation. I love this game, but I hold great disdain toward the heavyhanded techniques employed by those in charge these days.

Can you imagine a police officer responding to a call for domestic violence, and rather than getting all the information, he just breaks down the door and shoots the suspect and the complaintant? It solves the problem, but it surely is not the right thing to do. I urge you to take a different stance on posession of duped items.

R

RavenWinterHawk

As a longtime lurker and 8 year vet I add a AMEN to this question. I would have NO problem with a few things I have aquired in all my years of IDOCing, buying and (shhh) stealing in Fel, going POOF if it ment my house and account were safe!!!

There have been more than a few times I got lucky at an IDOC and called a GM for an assesment of odd things I aquired therin.
But I really think jeremy was implying its a good quantity. Not even marginal.

Though that still means 100's of people could have a few items, so maybe deleting them would help correct things.

Turn them into the hammers of honesty to be held with monks robes.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No thanks i don't want to get banned and get a stamp 'associated with duping'.
oh please.....

I have reported scripters resent the pictures multible times ...pmed about bugs and filled out bug reports and called Gms ...guess what not banned here

please dont belive everything people tell you

L

LeeHarvey

The only way to be safe is to delete everything you got...

LMAO... Two things I learned this weekend; Cheating is still bad and theres a lot of Drama Queens on these boards. So basically same old same old.

J

Jeremy

In that vein - if you report a dupe, help us reproduce it, and then we find out you have hundreds of duped items on your account that you failed to mention... we'll thank you kindly and then ban you so hard you bounce.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In that vein - if you report a dupe, help us reproduce it, and then we find out you have hundreds of duped items on your account that you failed to mention... we'll thank you kindly and then ban you so hard you bounce.
:postpics:[

L

Lady_Mina

oh please.....

I have reported scripters resent the pictures multible times ...pmed about bugs and filled out bug reports and called Gms ...guess what not banned here

please dont belive everything people tell you
So i'm not helping them out...they have eyes in their heads...and they can read..i'm not going to do their work for them.

C

Connor_Graham

Ok, now THAT was funny, I don't care who ya are.

Git 'er done!

:D

R

RavenWinterHawk

Thats fair.
Hey perfect info to dispell the bs.

Keep it coming.

Y

Yalp

fantastic post.. post of the day! a much needed laugh! well done.

Yalpers!

N

NewThunder

Why weren't all the accounts Banned that these players use. I see at least one player in the rares forum advertising their remaining rares for sale, shouldn't all their account be banned form the game.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you don't know for sure that what you're buying wasn't stolen or duped, probably a good idea to stay away if you want to maintain the integrity of your account in the eyes of EA.

L

Lady_Mina

Amen, brother.

I just heard a friend of mine got banned and she's about the nicest gal you'd ever meet. This is not a person that would duplicate items or cheat in any way. On one hand, I'm upset that this "halberd of justice" did rend her account asunder, and on the other I don't know what to do with the barbed kits I've purchased as an investment over the last year are duped or not. I don't know if that crimmy I bought from someone at the bank is a legitimate item. Those bronze hammers? Who knows? Oh, by the way, you can get banned for owning those as well. But maybe not.

How can I protect my account? Should I clean out my bank box, demolish my house and return to newbie status, abandoning all I've worked for? Should I live in fear that some random developer will find the handful of possibly duped items I've purchased over the years and swing this halberd in my direction?

I don't have an easy solution to the problem. I don't know how items are duped. I'd gladly tell you if I did, I'd gladly report anyone (even a guildmate) that was duping without hesitation. I love this game, but I hold great disdain toward the heavyhanded techniques employed by those in charge these days.

Can you imagine a police officer responding to a call for domestic violence, and rather than getting all the information, he just breaks down the door and shoots the suspect and the complaintant? It solves the problem, but it surely is not the right thing to do. I urge you to take a different stance on posession of duped items.
Guess you either have to burn them or delete them...
Since there IS a possibilty that they are duped items...and since it's more then one..wich makes it highly banable.

Even if you bought all of them of a diffirence player...you can never be sure.
Aspcialy these days you're supposed to guess...and hope you're right..

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you may say "you have too many (TEN) 1m gp checks in your bank box, its a dupe" to almost any player?

Are EA trying to force UO death?

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*licks index finger and holds it up in the air*

My how the winds have changed around here.

A few weeks ago?
"DUPERS ARE RUINING UO!"
"EA/MYTHIC DOES NOT CARE ABOUT PLAYERS!"
"I AM LEAVING BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUS THE CHEATERS WIN AT UO!"

*gets out a sailboat and asks the tiller man to raise ancher*
"slow forward"

To the Dev team who courageously gave the UO community what it asked for, probably knowing the second it was done the contrary complaints today would match the complaints of a few weeks ago:

Thank you.
From me,
Airmid
*hugs*

T

Teufel_Hund

Why weren't all the accounts Banned that these players use. I see at least one player in the rares forum advertising their remaining rares for sale, shouldn't all their account be banned form the game.
Then the assumption is that the items she is selling are not dupes. I hope because i am bidding.

B

Bannon

I just wish there was some way to know what was banned and what wasn't. Doesn't each item bear it's own ID number? Is there no way to know what's duped and what's a legitimate item?

I'm a legitimate player. I play by the rules and I ask questions when I see something suspicious. I'd very much like some peace of mind here... Is it possible to be proactive and page a gm so he can go through my posessions and just delete any offending items? I have every desire to be on the up and up, and I have no desire to stop playing this game I've enjoyed for 8 years. If this does come to pass, and I do get a GM's assistance, if they find that some of my kits and hammers were in fact duped will I get banned anyway?

I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I haven't knowingly done anything wrong, but I am a trifle paranoid because of recent actions taken. :eyes:

Y

Yalp

*licks index finger and holds it up in the air*

A few weeks ago?
"DUPERS ARE RUINING UO!"
"EA/MYTHIC DOES NOT CARE ABOUT PLAYERS!"
"I AM LEAVING BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUS THE CHEATERS WIN AT UO!"

*gets out a sailboat and asks the tiller man to raise ancher*
"slow forward"

To the Dev team who courageously gave the UO community was it asked for, probably knowing the second it was done the contrary complaints today would match the complaints of a few weeks ago:

Thank you.
From me,
Airmid
*hugs*
In a way, the dupers and cheaters did win. It was the poor slobs that had duped items in their possession that got the hammer. As Jeremy stated they hit those who had the items, not those who were doing the duping.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

S

Stomp

A runic? No. Two or three? Naw. Thirty? Probably, yeah. QUOTE]

1st let me tell you who I am, so if you want to investigate my account you can. I believe I have nothing to hide and want you to see what is achievable by an honest , experienced, semi hardcore player.

I am Stomp, GM of WoY, on Europa shard. I am the only Stomp so will be easy to find if you want to check my account / house / banks / whatever. I have played UO for almost 9 years, for most of that time I have played for between 2-6 hours a day, often more. As a long time player, when something different comes out, I tend to hit it quite hard, as it provides a distraction from what I normally do.

I have what I consider a lot of gold and items. I dont run a vendor as I dont often sell stuff, what I did sell was generally through uo-auction2 site before it went down.

For the last 3 years I have done peerless, previously solo on occasions, most times with the guild. I have 12 (was 13 but just sold my 1st) crimsons as a result of the 1000's of peerless I have done. At one time I sold Alcestis in excess of 100m worth of peerless regs I had so many and generally hoard as I dont need gold. If Crimsons were the latest items duped - I could possibly have been banned - 13 is excessive, but not if you know the number of peerless I have done.

I did Treasure of Tokuno 1st time around, mostly solo and had enough minors for > 60 majors. I still have most of these. I still have around 100 minors from the 2nd phase in my home. If these had been this months duped item I could have been banned from the numbers I have.

When the way bods were handled to hand one in get one back, I hit bods hard for maybe 6 months. I bought up just about every small cloth bod I could find on a vendor for under 500 gp. I was filling / handing in close to 500 smalls a day for many many weeks. In one week alone I pulled 7 brsk lbods, filled em, and sold em for 6m a time. I pulled / filled and sold more than 50 brsk’s in about 6 months. What if I still had them - I would have in all likeliness been banned this time round. Because I had cheated - no, because at that time I worked bods hard.

Magincia - I got a lot of rubble, sold most if it on to a wealthy rares dealer, TheGwy, from another shard, for 95m. Did I have ANY reason to suspect someone who buys items / sells them for a profit of being dodgy - why would I ? Included in what I sold her for 95m were 2 yucca, since seen selling for 40m+ each. She made what I considered an astute trade for stuff I personally didn’t value much except for its gold value.

In addition I personally pulled 60+ Staff of Pyros - apart from 10, all handed in for SC points. If I hadn’t, and Staff of Pyros was duped, I would have probably flagged on your excessive check for Staff of Pyros and been banned.

With your comments about not been able to tell duped from non duped, simply hitting excessive numbers, read my account and determine if the way you chose who was banned and who wasn’t was fair. I feel extremely vulnerable right now for playing the game semi hardcore. I know if I hadn’t been fortunate all that time ago to sell my barbed kits, I would be here today pleading my innocence and hoping someone would listen, with EA telling me no more than “Excessive items”. If you had dropped my house and all I got was “excessive items” mail, I cannot tell you how low I would feel.

You need to understand that some people “may” have been innocently caught up in this. I know you caught someone I believe to be innocent, although I will never know. In her, Lucy of Kenton, as you cannot / will not divulge and prove within reasonable doubt, I shall hold my faith. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, based on how I would like to be judged if this time round I had been deemed guilty of "being a hoarder".

This weekend, for many many people, you have dented out confidence in UO. I love this game, otherwise why am I still here after so long, feeding UO my hard earned RL money, and trust. I play for the people, mainly for WoY, and you have severely dented my confidence with the way you have deemed the guilty this time.

For the community, investigate the claims of innocence, be sure your number are correct. On the information you have given, there was room for mistakes.

G

Gwendar-SP

A runic? No. Two or three? Naw. Thirty? Probably, yeah.

I'm not going to give a specific number for the dupers to use to game the system, but it's high enough that most casual players won't hit it. The "innocent" guy who emailed me over the weekend had 160 or so duped items. Not so innocent. eh?

For the people asking for a list - it depends on the actual dupe. Some only work on specific items, some work on just about anything. The latter kind we can't very well warn you about. I suspect runics were the new hotness this time around because of the buff they got last winter.

Is one safe if they are legit? I do alot of crafting but don't sell many kits. I sure hope I don't get banned just for having a goodly number of barbed kits.

B

Bannon

Yes, it seems that way Airmid. I rather think it's more that those who are upstanding players do not know if the items they've purchased are legitimate or not. I had a friend get banned under suspicious circumstances "for posession of duped items", yet she had no way of knowing that what she had in her posession was duped. I just feel that this is a bit strict considering.

How would you feel if someone tipped a GM off that the half dozen barbed kits you've been saving for a while until your tailor hit gm were duped, and you got banned? Same scenario.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least one guy who protested his innocence just as strenuously as many of the posters here. QUOTE]

in the TOS, it says they basically can never play again. So if someone that was "innocent" was ban; they cannot even try to restart on another account?

J

Jeremy

If they're legit, you're safe. If you earned them yourself - whatever "they" are - you're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.