• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jeremy, could we have an official statement?

• Thread starter Priam_Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zofinur

And what if these illegal items are duped cheques somebody was paid with?
I guess this is exactly what happened to me.
Even worse i did not own trillions like other, but about 60M; give or take 10
(still there is no official word from EA on my case, and i doubt there will be; neither in private, nor in public)

I'm not a child; I am 4x years old, managing a family and projects ... ; I want to be treated as an adult, and that includes cooperative communication. If this company is not able to satisfy this need, I am done with it.
*signed*
Matches me in every point; left out the details in the quote the werent matching (exact age and jobdescription)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple. Just delete the duped items and keep an eye on the questionable accounts for a while. Innocent people will keep playing those accounts while they bend over backwards to keep from getting caught-up in an expensive duping rip-off scam again. On the other hand, guilty people will probably close the compromised account(s) and find some way to set-up business and start it all over again. No matter the result though, you should continue to delete any duped items you find.
Yes, I agree. The bending over backwards part is stretching it a bit, but yes, guilty ones will note that their account has been marked and compromised.

The crucial part is, this keeps those normal players from considering cheats.

Hardcore ones that are out to make a buck? Won't stop them from creating new accounts even if you ban their accounts immediately. With the dupes deleted though, damage will be contained.

Do you have any actual method for *knowing beyond the shadow of a doubt* this or that item is a dupe, or are you going on quantity alone to determine guilt?
And you know this because...? Are you saying they have no way past quantity-in-possession to decide whether or not items are dupes?
However, if there *is no* method for determining through the items' codings if they are real or duped, then banning for nothing more than the "sin" of possessing a large quantity of some item seems a very ill-conceived method of attacking the duping problem. Primarily because it's very possible for a player to purchase large quantities of even Val Hammers not realizing it's impossible to attain such BoD Rewards in any great number honestly.
Everybody seem ready to believe that EA/Mythic has some method by which they can directly identify dupes( i.e. by duplicate IDs). I guess I am just too old and cynical to accept that inference without some less obtuse statement from them. If they have a reasonable method of identify dupes with DB searches, they should be running these daily, tagging the sources, and deleting the items off.
Pardon me if if am wrong, but it appears that a big part of your concern is with OSI's inability to detect duped items, and instead are just doing a blanket ban by quantity alone, yes?

I know there's no real way to to allay your concerns or everyone elses'. So let's say I quote my professor again - forget what I said, items do not have a unique ID.

Let's say they go by quantity alone, this is what I observed:

1) There are people that still have their 250 mil, plus tons of runics

2) I myself have at least 30 aggy hammers from the Mysterios Traders, 30+ other low end hammers, another 30 over ASH, over a hundred blackrock, at least a container of dull colored minor Tokuno dyes, some money and busloads of soulstone fragment tokens from x-sharding among other things.

I know aggy hammers are not exactly val hammers, so maybe they don't count these. That leaves checks, yes? If they do it just based on quantity, 250 mil would have set off all sorts of alarms and get these people banned right?

We have at least 1 person that didn't get banned due to a large quantity of money.

Here comes the disclaimer: One sample doth not a case maketh.

Another flaw with what I said - these persons are lying, they don't really have 250 mil. Or maybe, they got banned and want to lull other people into complacency so that other people gets banned as well. Such is the wont of griefers, which are plenty abound. I might also be lying and trying to spread misinformation. Hell, I might also have suggested that I am lying to lull people into thinking I am not actually lying et infinitum. Even if am am not lying, I could be wrong.

Finally, maybe OSI have not reached these people yet, they'll be banned this weekend...

So instead, I will say this to everyone, don't trust everything you read. Question and think for yourself from both angles objectively. Analyze what makes sense and derive your own conclusions.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Val hammers are 15m!!! woooooot!!!!what for only 15 uses??? thats 1m per item u make...thats gotta be crazy crazy.....
Come on! 15 mil is "cheap" for a Val Hammer?! Why?! When I've used them on TC, I constantly go back to Barbed Kits on Barbed Leather because that seems to me to make the best armor. It would never cross my mind that Val Hammers were over 5 times better than Barbed Kits, mainly because they can't make armor 5 times better than Barbed Kits can make.

Yes, with barbed kits going at 2+ mil, it's far more efficient to make armor with them. Val hammers are more valued for making weapons. When BODs first came out many years ago, Valorite, Supremely Accurate, etc spear/katana etc of Vanquishing went for 2 mil each. Some give 50% discounts to guildies. Back then 1 mil was an astronomical sum. So it's worth 1 mil for each charge even back then.

C

Connor_Graham

Val hammers are more valued for making weapons.
Actually, the Valorite and Verite hammers are more popular now with making the Samurai armor (mage armor types) than weapons since the recent change to runics. Gold and Agapite are now the popular runics for the weapons.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, the Valorite and Verite hammers are more popular now with making the Samurai armor (mage armor types) than weapons since the recent change to runics. Gold and Agapite are now the popular runics for the weapons.
Ahh I see. Is it due to the influx of Verite and Valorite hammers? Or due to not having to worry about losing a property for the superflous mage-armor property on leather armor?

OT, I made some pretty good ones with my Aggies, but I have 2 major issues with the Samurai armor:

1) No gloves
2) Mempo is really ugly...

On the whole though, if I ever complete my Val LBOD, I'll use it for weapons. I have a more efficient shot of making 5 property armor using barbed kits. Weapons though, I can only get 5-runic-property weapon from the Val/Ver hammers. Or the super elusive heartwood runics for wooden weapons.

C

Connor_Graham

Ahh I see. Is it due to the influx of Verite and Valorite hammers? Or due to not having to worry about losing a property for the superflous mage-armor property on leather armor?
The mage armor property fix is part of it, the other part is the fact that the lower end runics now give the chance at 100% intensity. Most people are looking for 3-4 properties they consider to be must-haves for a weapon. Why waste a Verite or a Valorite when you can get this with an Agapite? With the number of properties the high end runics give, you can get outrageously high resist totals, along with a couple of nice properties on a single piece of armor.

2) Mempo is really ugly...
That I'd have to agree with 110%. They are ugly as sin.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So instead, I will say this to everyone, don't trust everything you read. Question and think for yourself from both angles objectively. Analyze what makes sense and derive your own conclusions.
Well ya know, I think this is exactly what some of us are doing. The only thing I would add is; don't trust everything the company says or does either.

I am very sure that EA/Mythic did this with the very very best of intentions. No one but whacko conspiracy theorists would suggest that they want to just arbitrarily get rid of paying customers.

On the other hand, they are human and as such prone to error and false logic on occasion and lapses in judgment probably even more often. We all are. These are the things that makes critical review so important.

I was considering this morning after reading this thread, how really trivial it is to find duplicated IDs in a database. It only takes two steps: build an ordered list of all IDs and then scan it for any two adjacent IDs that are the same. (No you can not do this at the client because a) you don't have access to the entire database and b) it's unlikely the client ever gets sent the IDS, if they exist.)

So I remain convinced they have and had no such procedure available to them for whatever reason.

How did they do it then? That is what we are wondering. I don't think they will reveal anything further to us or to the people they banned.

So here is the rest of my previous statement, part of which you attributed to another poster but left out the important piece;

Problem is, we don't know and they ain't saying. So as I said in other threads, it all come down to faith. Either you have faith in them or you don't. And my lack of faith comes from history.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I agree. The bending over backwards part is stretching it a bit, but yes, guilty ones will note that their account has been marked and compromised.

The crucial part is, this keeps those normal players from considering cheats.

Hardcore ones that are out to make a buck? Won't stop them from creating new accounts even if you ban their accounts immediately. With the dupes deleted though, damage will be contained.

Pardon me if if am wrong, but it appears that a big part of your concern is with OSI's inability to detect duped items, and instead are just doing a blanket ban by quantity alone, yes?

I know there's no real way to to allay your concerns or everyone elses'. So let's say I quote my professor again - forget what I said, items do not have a unique ID.

Let's say they go by quantity alone, this is what I observed:

1) There are people that still have their 250 mil, plus tons of runics

2) I myself have at least 30 aggy hammers from the Mysterios Traders, 30+ other low end hammers, another 30 over ASH, over a hundred blackrock, at least a container of dull colored minor Tokuno dyes, some money and busloads of soulstone fragment tokens from x-sharding among other things.

I know aggy hammers are not exactly val hammers, so maybe they don't count these. That leaves checks, yes? If they do it just based on quantity, 250 mil would have set off all sorts of alarms and get these people banned right?

We have at least 1 person that didn't get banned due to a large quantity of money.

Here comes the disclaimer: One sample doth not a case maketh.

Another flaw with what I said - these persons are lying, they don't really have 250 mil. Or maybe, they got banned and want to lull other people into complacency so that other people gets banned as well. Such is the wont of griefers, which are plenty abound. I might also be lying and trying to spread misinformation. Hell, I might also have suggested that I am lying to lull people into thinking I am not actually lying et infinitum. Even if am am not lying, I could be wrong.

Finally, maybe OSI have not reached these people yet, they'll be banned this weekend...

I have played 11 years. I have over 250 mill on my vendors. I bought and used two Heartwood Runics from a certain Radio Station Luna Vendor house in July.

I stopped purchasing any runics after i saw the dupe threads, and saw how many Val Hammers were on that particular vendor, at that particular Radio Station's Luna Vendor House.

I didn't get banned. I also don't believe there was such a mass banning of innocents, as has been purported, on the forums, either. I personally knew no one that was banned...at all.

Was I just lucky?

Perhaps...or maybe your logic is sound (and I personally believe it is), and people who do not deal in low cost high end items/rares, bought in bulk from other players really don't have anything to worry about.

Yeah...I am going with that one.

Thanks for all of your level headed, and very cogent posts.

They are quite refreshing, in the midst of all this.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't get banned. I also don't believe there was such a mass banning of innocents, as has been purported, on the forums, either. I personally knew no one that was banned...at all.
Did someone suggest a mass banning of innocents? I must have missed it.

I think, from what I have read, what people are suggesting is a mass banning, with some errors on the margins.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So here is the rest of my previous statement, part of which you attributed to another poster but left out the important piece;

Problem is, we don't know and they ain't saying. So as I said in other threads, it all come down to faith. Either you have faith in them or you don't. And my lack of faith comes from history.
I am so sorry! Please accept my sincere apologies, ms Amber. It was never my intention to misquote you, but I fear my laziness have gotten the better of me. I have since edited and corrected my post. Again, my apologies.

Well ya know, I think this is exactly what some of us are doing. The only thing I would add is; don't trust everything the company says or does either.
Yes, I agree. There could be 1 or more reasons why certain information was not made privy to us. Perhaps even a combination of reasons.

Least of which is the question of making judgement calls. It may seem right to some, and wrong to others, hence judgement calls.

I am very glad that you have shown much experience in database management and acknowledge the possibility of identifying duplicated IDs. Consider also the possibility that there may be multiple keys for each record and that my previous explanation of duplicated IDs is an over-simplification.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played 11 years. I have over 250 mill on my vendors. I bought and used two Heartwood Runics from a certain Radio Station Luna Vendor house in July.

I stopped purchasing any runics after i saw the dupe threads, and saw how many Val Hammers were on that particular vendor, at that particular Radio Station's Luna Vendor House.

Was I just lucky?

Perhaps...or maybe your logic is sound (and I personally believe it is), and people who do not deal in low cost high end items/rares, bought in bulk from other players really don't have anything to worry about.

Yeah...I am going with that one.

Thanks for all of your level headed, and very cogent posts.

They are quite refreshing, in the midst of all this.
And I thank thee, Sir Surgeries, for your praise and for giving my explanation your consideration :D

PS: Apologies for addrsessing you incorrectly and later quoting you incorrectly. If you didn't catch it, then erm, "Forget what I just said", yeah :)

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it looks like the answer to your request is -

NO! push off.

G

GirlPower

Use common sense! If you find someone selling a ton of them then yeah they are most likely duped. If you have enough money to buy a ton of them, this game isn't new to you and you know they are duped. If you buy them, you're just as guilty. Anyone who actively fills bods legitimately knows its not possible to stock your vendor with bunches of them numerous times a day. I fill bods like crazy and have tons of them i work on daily. I have gotten maybe 12-15 b kits in my whole uo life. (larges plus all the smalls to fill) Just use common sense, pleading ignorance obviously isn't going to fly.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Use common sense! If you find someone selling a ton of them then yeah they are most likely duped. If you have enough money to buy a ton of them, this game isn't new to you and you know they are duped. If you buy them, you're just as guilty. Anyone who actively fills bods legitimately knows its not possible to stock your vendor with bunches of them numerous times a day. I fill bods like crazy and have tons of them i work on daily. I have gotten maybe 12-15 b kits in my whole uo life. (larges plus all the smalls to fill) Just use common sense, pleading ignorance obviously isn't going to fly.

Yay for you, for digging up this ridiculous post that should have been locked long ago. My guess is you're either Kith, Lucy or ...nevermind...

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well said.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The willingness of people to take secondhand protestations of innocence at face value appalls me.
Jeremy, it should appall you. It should make you very sad that players' respect for EA and the customer service reps is so staggeringly low that we instinctively give the benefit of the doubt to players who get banned. That lack of respect didn't happen by accident - it was earned, all earned.

It's like when you work in the judicial system so long and see so much police abuse, that you start to realize how many defendants are just victims of the police who are supposedly protecting us. You get pretty jaded to the "authority".

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*shakes head* This is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.