• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bring back old school thieves?

• Thread starter kennykilleduo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Bring back old school thieves?

• Yes

Votes: 91 48.1%
  • Yes , but limited to PVP / Factions only

Votes: 41 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I am caught, I usually lose quit a bit. It's funny to watch the vultures swoop in to loot my corpse, even when the guards whack me. The risk is...if we fail, we don't get the loot. What's could be worse than that?...la
Hum, Good question :)

Hum, well what could be equal to the item you do succed at stealing? :)

Wenchy asked a good question and I am not ignoring her, I am considering my reply. :)

This is in the same vein. While I accept your assurance that you being looted and NOT getting that Black Pearl is quite a good deal of punishment :) I am not sure I am convinced of that. :)

I think you need to be removed from the Social Structure and Consider your ... chosen method of interacting with your fellow Citizens. :)

I would say Oh , One week in the slamer for every 10 Gold value of the highest priced item on the Player, regardless of you actually being able to steal it. :)

Makes me think, maybe it is the total worth of the Player, in terms of Gold, Jewels and items that they have on them at the time. :)

In that case I could mount an effective defense/deterrent by loading up on Gold and sending you to Jail for the rest of your natural life. :)

Hum, maybe 1 week per 10 gold is a bit over the line, maybe 1 week per 100 gold would be better. :)

Pst - That is one Real Life Calendar Week, not one UO In Game Week. :)

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Walking up to someone, stealing their item and running away takes skill?

I think not.

Doesn't matter to me though, I can say with 100% certainty we'll never see old school thieves added back into an EA run shard.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is in the same vein. While I accept your assurance that you being looted and NOT getting that Black Pearl is quite a good deal of punishment
You sure are making a lot of assumptions. First off, I rarely get caught. Next, I almost never steal regs (unless of course it's someone I don't like and they are fighting someon else...and then I take their garlic...not their bp)...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've never played a thief, otherwise you wouldn't be making claims that it doesn't take skill to play one. Stop making things up...your pants are on fire...la

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't matter to me though, I can say with 100% certainty we'll never see old school thieves added back into an EA run shard.

Huh? We play on Siege (old school thieves that is). Siege isn't run by EA? o.0 ...la
You're right, I guess a form of the old school thief does still exist on Seige.

Wonder why that shard is so dead.
Because of the RoT system as it exists today...la
Keep telling yourself that.

I for one would love for EA to change the RoT system. Then when Siege is still a barren wasteland what will your excuse be?

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is that suppose to be an insult?

If it is, it's really pathetic........much like playing a thief.
So not only have you not ever played a thief... you also give opinions about topics you know nothing about and when that doesn't work, you start insulting?

:stir:

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You sure are making a lot of assumptions. First off, I rarely get caught. Next, I almost never steal regs (unless of course it's someone I don't like and they are fighting someon else...and then I take their garlic...not their bp)...la
*Shrug*

Sorry it was just be light, kidding a joke. It was based on an event from a long time ago before I left UO.

A Player stole a Black Pearl from me and thought he would get my goat by taunting me.

I got it back from him when I didnt provide needed help when a Blood(? ) Elemental was on him. Actually I got quite a bit more than that Black Pearl from him.

But what really got his blood flowing was when I cast Ressurection and then canceled it and said "Oh, wait your the guy that wanted to taunt me over a Black pearl" or some such nonsense.

Peace :) it was just joking around :)

Mostly what I would Like to see is a time when the UO population accepts the concept of being Socially Responsible to the UO Population. When that happens, I am 100% confident all these protections will be looked as annoyances and be removed.

Or said more clearly, they are there NOT to protect me from the Well Played Evil, they are there to protect me from the Hack, Cheating, Exploiting, Trash Talking, First person Shooter Evil that plagues every single MMORPG in existence. Prompting many game owners to seek a means to create a Virtual Jail for them. A system to allow the Game owners to share the information and boot the people out.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So not only have you not ever played a thief... you also give opinions about topics you know nothing about

I've never been beaten to death by a 5 year old girl either. Doesn't mean I can't realize how pathetic it would be.

Thieves were crap and no one except the thieves wanted them around, thus the reason they're gone.

Deal with it :next:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never been beaten to death by a 5 year old girl either. Doesn't mean I can't realize how pathetic it would be.

Thieves were crap and no one except the thieves wanted them around, thus the reason they're gone.

ROFL, so you admit to being a liar. Nice...la

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Our conversation:

Chad: I got hit by a bus. It hurts.

Colter: I closed my eyes and thought about what it would be like to get hit by a bus. It doesn't hurt as much as you say it does.

Chad: ...

Colter: Deal with it :next:

Chad: ...

:stir:

AEowynSP

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then when Siege is still a barren wasteland what will your excuse be?
Please stop insulting siege, less populated yes barren wasteland no.
I just looked at my guild roster, I counted
62 Last on 2008-07-17
In the last week 84 and 100 in the last month.
As you well know Siege is a one char per account shard so each of the #'s is a paying player.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spending 5 minutes to remove something from another player when they spent hours obtaining it should never be possible without the consent of the losing player.
Or maybe, just maybe...you could spend 5 minutes learning the mechinics of the game and thief proof your belongings. It's funny when I run around on my non-thief accounts, I have never been stolen from. Why? Because I know how to keep thieves from taking my pixels. Sheesh...la
I haven't been stolen from for years either.

And by saying people should learn how to protect their gear, you're saying that players should continue to have ways to prevent themselves from being stolen from... meaning old school thieves should continue to be useless.

...la

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ROFL, so you admit to being a liar. Nice...la
Uh you've got issues bro.

What exactly did I lie about?
Claiming to have played a thief. You didn't. Maybe you skilled up a character with thief skills, but the way you talk, it is obvious you have never actually learned how to play one...la

Find the post where I claim to have played a thief.

Don't bother you won't find one because it doesn't exist.

So who's the liar?

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you dont care about pixles, you dont need to play a game on a screen.

Theives need to come back big time. I mean lets be real, there needs to be a 4 to 8 (maybe even 10!!! :dunce: )% chance to steal insured items from people at 120 stealing (or something along thoes lines)

Then you need to be able to place bounties on people who steal insured items from you.

do you wish to place a bounty on the scoundrel rico who hath stolen thy "insert insured item here"? if you click yes you get the choice to place an ammount based on what you have in your bank, and that becomes a frozen asset until you cancel the bounty or its completed.

If someone accepts the bounty and kills the theif (who has the benifit of being able to use your stolen artifact until now) all the bounty loot is placed into his or her bank account and the stolen item is returned to the original victim.

im no dev ...yet:drool: but theives CAN be fixed. and im sure their thinking of ways. but "the list" is long.

PS devs, i will work for min wage if i can sleep in the office and you take me to lunch now and then

B

Black magick

before I left UO.
That right there is beyond enough said LOL. lolz @ Colter, if this matter really didn't get to you, then why so many posts about it? But on the topic of siege, some reasons that there aren't as "many" people as on proddy shards is, one char per person, and the simple fact that a majority of people who play UO are trammys who are too afraid of dieing and losing pixels to play on siege. I mean, since fel is "dead" why don't more people go there to farm and such? Answer, they are scared. ^^

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then you need to be able to place bounties on people who steal insured items from you.

do you wish to place a bounty on the scoundrel rico who hath stolen thy "insert insured item here"? if you click yes you get the choice to place an ammount based on what you have in your bank, and that becomes a frozen asset until you cancel the bounty or its completed.

If someone accepts the bounty and kills the theif (who has the benifit of being able to use your stolen artifact until now) all the bounty loot is placed into his or her bank account and the stolen item is returned to the original victim.
Wow that's a freaking brilliant idea....

So the no skill, no risk thief steals the item. Bounty is set up by victim. Thief's buddy kills the thief and then they split the gold.

Win, win right....... oh wait, except for the dude who got his item stolen. He probably won't be playing this game very long. So he quits along with the majority of the playerbase who hate the worthless thief class. No one left playing game, so it closes. Thieves have to go back to RL, where they are afraid of their own shadows.

I vote .....umm.... NO to you ever being allowed to propose an idea again.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Colter, if this matter really didn't get to you, then why so many posts about it?
It doesn't matter, but I get paid a lot of money to sit here and babysit several employees and argue with morons on the internet.

So don't worry, I'm ok.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the no skill, no risk thief steals the item. Bounty is set up by victim. Thief's buddy kills the thief and then they split the gold.

Win, win right....... oh wait, except for the dude who got his item stolen. He probably won't be playing this game very long. So he quits along with the majority of the playerbase who hate the worthless thief class. No one left playing game, so it closes. Thieves have to go back to RL, where they are afraid of their own shadows.
you dont think things thru enough, too quick to trash.

theives = no skill or risk is contestable
the bounty can be as simple as bounty for (this guy) for (this amount of gold)

even IF people set this situation up, they may get 10k gold to split (woopty do) and then they victim doesnt quit because why? read my post again and tell me. dont feel like it? ok he gets his item back and the theif looses out on it. hell you could even make the bounty expireable

im not here to propose intense well thought of 100% awesome ideas. simply here to propose. lets think of how ideas can work and not how they CAN suck and tell people not to post their ideas.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trammel was created so that people could play the game without having to deal with whiney, crap talking ******bags you will meet everywhere in Fel. Nothing's changed there. Except for the population.

Still can't figure out why Tramm was truely created and has been the most popular facet since day one eh Rain?

Was eight (8) years ago. Get over it already.
If Trammel was so popular, then why did UO's population plateau and then begin declining shortly after it was put in?

Oh, and FYI... Trammel has whiney, crap talking ******bags everywhere. The only difference is-is that I can't kill them. So exactly, how did it solve that problem?

Nice try tho, insert 2 coins and try again?

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean lets be real, there needs to be a 4 to 8 (maybe even 10!!! :dunce: )% chance to steal insured items from people at 120 stealing
No, there doesn't, for the same reasons that insurance is here to stay.

I have no problem with insurance. but would you reeeealy mind if someone failed a few times trying to steal an insured item from you? 4% or 8% chance at 120 would/should give you plenty of time to run or kill the little feller yeah? and if he did get it you could just offer a bount of like 14k and get your sick ass orny back when hes captured.

it just seems reasonable to me. its as simple as ransom. Hey i got your item, you want it, pay up.

you know, you could even make this a gold sink. like the person has to pay 20k per guard they want to set up the bounty on. and when the theif walks by the guard, or vice versa, the item is confiscated and the person can come and reclaim it. that would eliminate nay sayer bro aboves planed ransom scam
and he coulda thought of this.

G

Googly

ROFL. You play on a production shard, you are doing very bad. Aren't those dyes a 1 stone item...wow...skillz...la
I play both. Siege you can get a good item off just about any single person you see. Just like the good ol' days. Banks and gates is all it takes.

On production, if you want nice items, you have to do things like stealth into the baracoon spawn. E-fields, para fields, nox fields, earth quakes, a dozen different people who can easily passive reveal you or run into you.

Otherwise you spend hours crawling around Yew gate and dungeons, hoping to find that one uninsured wep.

Real thieves play production. Siege thieves need the good weapon steals and such. Production thieves can get their stealing jolly off on bandies and regs, with the occasional nice item.

C

Connor_Graham

but would you reeeealy mind if someone failed a few times trying to steal an insured item from you?
Well, let's put this into perspective so I can answer this question.

I've been trying for months now to get the last few gears I need for my Dawn's Music Box.

I get lucky one day and finally get one of the Rare gears that are so hard to find.

I'm at the bank dropping off some gold prior to going to my house to put the insured gear in my music box and some snot nosed little naked leg humper comes along and steals months worth of effort in seconds.

Yeah, I'd say I'd mind.

Quite a bit in fact.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your asking for a return of old type thieves. The problem I see with your request is that it would mean the end of blessed items and insurance and yes these didn't really exist with the old time thieves, BUT old time thieves stole GM armor and some Fort and Invul. They never had access to say an orni or a sword made with a val runic kit. The complexity and expense of armor and weapons after AOS is what brought about insurance and personal bless deeds and asking for old thieving rules with totally different armor and weapon classes is asking for something that is nothing like how old thieving use to be. It didn't use to be that hard to go get another GM suit or a set of Invul armor and almost NO ONE fought with above GM weapons in Fel so this reinstitution of "old thieving rules" can not exist as it did before in the current setting of UO.

Yes I miss the complexity of the experience thieves use to add to the game, but the old rules can't be brought back under this system and a new way to integrate should be found that allows for interaction with players and not just stealthing and stealing stuff in doom or occasionally being able to sneak into a champ spawn without instantly dying.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic
As sad as I am to say this, I agree. Old school thieves are gone, and they won't be coming back. What we need is a re-vamp of the class altogether. Maybe a way to make a thief that is useable in the current state of the world.

L

Llams Anit

Bring back old school thieves (even though there may be more of us around that some may think) isn't about fun for other players, it's about fun for the people who enjoy playing thieves, and a different flavor of PvP for the other players.

Learn how to evade thieves stealing your loot, or learn how to tell who is in the thieves guild and if they are freely attackable (this would require the devs to bring back gray status for thieves). There were all sorts of scenarios where players interacted that went away when the bulk of my profession was eliminated with insurance.

At this point, I don't care about insurance since I don't play on a production shard, but there are still a lot of things that the devs could do that would make playing a thief more fun to play for many others. I will always play a thief while playing UO. It's the main part of the game that I can't adapt to, lol...la
Doesn't make sense ...la
Bring back the old school thieves!!!!

L

Llams Anit

Last time I checked, there were more than one bank in the game to go to. Hell for that matter, there were more than one bank in Brit. This is what I mean about players being too lazy to learn how to adapt. If thieves were such a bane, do your banking elsewhere. Sheesh...la
Doesn't make sense...la

L

Llams Anit

When I am caught, I usually lose quit a bit. It's funny to watch the vultures swoop in to loot my corpse, even when the guards whack me. The risk is...if we fail, we don't get the loot. What's could be worse than that?...la

Doesn't make sense ...la

S

Static

NERF NERF NERF thats the only words i hear........

If its not the super dragons its thieves
or
factions
or
kr
or
GM's
or
scripters
or
speed haxxors
or
Guilds
or
Xfers
or
Felucca
or
Trammel
or
EA
or
Mythic
or
Housing Decay
or
Items
or
Shards
or
Events
or
Quest
or
Skills
or
Tamers
or
Dexxers
or
Stats
or
Spells
or
Items
or
Lack of Items
or
Turn In's
or
population
or
econemy
or
bosses
or
Overly powered suits
or
SA

*Drifts off*

The point is this. If its not one thing, its another.... The point of the topic was a "simple" yes or no, or a maybe.........

Not HOROR STORIES OF TERRIBLE NAIL BITTING THIEVES!

takes a long time to learn how to type in brail....

G

galefan2004

Maybe they should make it so they can't be looted either. Everything should be blessed. Eliminate insurance too. Nobody likes having to pay everytime they die.

Maybe we can get a macro that we can press, then sit back and watch as our character interact with only the monsters and NPCs, I mean this is a single player game...isn't it?...la
It would take me forever to explain a decent PvP and PvM system to you, so I won't bother. What I will say is that I know more people that left this game after losing an item than for any other reason. Its true that people don't like to lose items.

If you bought a new car and had it stollen I can guarantee you'd be calling the law and not letting up until you got the car back. Yes, UO is only a game, but people don't like having things stollen here much more.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
but would you reeeealy mind if someone failed a few times trying to steal an insured item from you?
Well, let's put this into perspective so I can answer this question.

I've been trying for months now to get the last few gears I need for my Dawn's Music Box.

I get lucky one day and finally get one of the Rare gears that are so hard to find.

I'm at the bank dropping off some gold prior to going to my house to put the insured gear in my music box and some snot nosed little naked leg humper comes along and steals months worth of effort in seconds.

Yeah, I'd say I'd mind.

Quite a bit in fact.

go to a bank in tram?

and im talking about a very small chance at 120 to do this.

even in fel chances are theyd mess up at a bank

Edit* You should also have to go to an actual insurer to insure items and sign up for the renewal program, that way you cant steal and insure. then you can kill or be killed. yay

S

Static

If you bought a new car and had it stollen I can guarantee you'd be calling the law and not letting up until you got the car back.
Yes, UO is only a game, but people don't like having things stollen here much more.

Then the argument doesnt apply.........

You cant compair fake life to real world events.... Its not a valid argument.

S

Static

If you bought a new car and had it stollen I can guarantee you'd be calling the law and not letting up until you got the car back. Yes, UO is only a game, but people don't like having things stollen here much more.

So after my damn mind just nearly exploded,

I love listening to you Armchair psychopath's.

Okay so if you boil down your "point" if you can grasp it...

If your statement is true.....

Then..... Everything Applys. So lets see what uses MAY Apply....

If your friend was murdered,I can guarantee you'd be calling the law and not letting up until the murder was solved. Yes, UO is only a game, but people don't like having there friends murdered.

If your house fell,I can guarantee you'd be calling the law and not letting up until all the looters where gone. Yes, UO is only a game, but people don't like having things looted.

If you where being attacked by "MONSTERS",I can guarantee you'd be calling the law and not letting up until the "MONSTERS" Where gone. Yes, UO is only a game, but people don't like being chased by "MONSTERS".

After the police arrested you for being on LSD, Im sure you could explain your reason of insanity........

Enjoy,
Armchair psychopaths