• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bring back old school thieves?

• Thread starter kennykilleduo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Bring back old school thieves?

• Yes

Votes: 91 48.1%
  • Yes , but limited to PVP / Factions only

Votes: 41 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elffin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a Trammie through and through. I sometimes play a thief and stealth around doom and tokuno dungeons. Is this what thieves have been reduced to? Even though i am a trammie i think there is a solution to the carebare/hardcore player problem. If a Trammie wants to take a walk around Fel then as they walk thru the moongate their insurance and blessed item (maybe apart from psb item) become unblessed/uninsured, this lasts for the duration whilst they are in Fel. I think this would bring a little more danger to Fel and keep the carebears where we belong. Trammel was created before i started playing and i know no different. but i do feel something, maybe a little more danger is required to keep the game interesting, especialy in Fel.

Elf.

S

Static

Try telling that to this guy

Jebus Christo's

You all are off your meds arnt you?

again im going to say it because it applys

your Armchair psychopath's

From the article.
A psychologist *Not you guys* diagnosed him with depression and schizoid personality disorder, symptoms of which include a lack of desire for social relationships, little or no sex drive and a limited range of emotions in social settings.
If you have these issues you should not be opperating in a game, Nor in real life. You should be shoved into a home until you get your mental state is quote un quote "fixed".

Woolley knows her son had problems beyond EverQuest, and she tried to get him help by contacting a mental health program and trying to get him to live in a group home.

WoW. To me that seems like a parenting issue correct?

So here we go Cear Dallben Dragon you want to open a bag of worms?

So basicly Cear Dallben Dragon your saying that people who play online games should go through a Psychiatrist to be able to play?

Again your statements are void....

B

Black magick

It doesn't matter, but I get paid a lot of money to sit here and babysit several employees and argue with morons on the internet.

So don't worry, I'm ok.
Gotta love how you avoid the rest of my post and call us morons; yet can't bring up any valid points in this discussion and resort only to attacking us. Way to get worked up and fail sir. ^^

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Try telling that to this guy

Jebus Christo's

You all are off your meds arnt you?

again im going to say it because it applys

your Armchair psychopath's

From the article.
A psychologist *Not you guys* diagnosed him with depression and schizoid personality disorder, symptoms of which include a lack of desire for social relationships, little or no sex drive and a limited range of emotions in social settings.
If you have these issues you should not be opperating in a game, Nor in real life. You should be shoved into a home until you get your mental state is quote un quote "fixed".

Woolley knows her son had problems beyond EverQuest, and she tried to get him help by contacting a mental health program and trying to get him to live in a group home.

WoW. To me that seems like a parenting issue correct?

So here we go Cear Dallben Dragon you want to open a bag of worms?

So basicly Cear Dallben Dragon your saying that people who play online games should go through a Psychiatrist to be able to play?

Again your statements are void....

Holy S***

sorry i forgot to add the

/joke

watch out guys, dont mess with this guy!!!!! hes serious business. no mullet on this guy.
take it freakin easy dude. i mean wow. your post scared the hell outta me.
make sure you cool new word doesnt apply to yourself.

on a side note....your post above about compareing a car stolen to every aspect in Ultima Online revolved around generalizing, which is a cognitive error at your age, i hope. you may indeed be insane.

K

kennykilleduo

Walking up to someone, stealing their item and running away takes skill?

I think not.

Doesn't matter to me though, I can say with 100% certainty we'll never see old school thieves added back into an EA run shard.
Thats the spirit , another true example of platers who want change but not willing to lose ANYTHING for it...( Not directing at poster , players in general)

R

Revenant2

The original implementation of the 'stealing' skill and the way it was being used to grief and PK/PVP was horrible. I was delighted when I came back to UO and found that it had been torn up by the roots.

May that miserable garbage never return......

S

Shinobi

Ok sorry, i need to say a few things. First of all, thieves aren't dead. Sure, the majority of them went to siege after insurance came out, big woop. But if you want a reason to bring back the old school thief to main shards, here it is...

I started after AoS, so insurance was already a part of the game. Yet, i've played my thief as a main char (on a main shard) ever since, and it's the only method of income i've had in the game for over 6 years. I hand out probably 20mil a week to either other thieves who need help or to newbs in general cause i'm bored. "Oh but Shinobi, that's not possible with stealing as your only income." And yes i mean STEALING not SCAMMING. I use the STEALING SKILL without bugs or exploits, so therefore it's a steal. So what's the reason to bring back old school thieves? It's because modern day thieves are 10x worse to deal with than old school thieves. We resort to low-down dirty techniques. One second you think we're great people, then the next, OH SURPRISE, your item(s) have been stolen. And what's even worse, we do whatever it takes to get the steal.

For instance, i saw a guy at tram brit named Johnny Chimpo wearing inquis, and yes they were insured. He seemed to be a trader/rares collector, so i decided to go with the classic guild steal technique. I convince him we're a great guild to join with many benefits. I snoop him, but there's nothing worthwhile to steal out of his pack. We hang out for a while, and i decide to try to steal the inquis. After gaining his trust, i casually mention to him about how dyed inquis (like his) have been getting bugged lately. I made up this story about how the dyed inquis bug after crossing certain server lines. The inquis uninsure, but freeze as "insured" on your paperdoll, so you can't tell. Then next time you're killed they drop. I then told him i'd ask my rares collector friend i supposedly know irl how to undo the bug. So i tell him "Ah man he's not answering his phone, i'll try again later." I waited a little while and then "called" him again, and pretended to relay the message from my "friend" to Johnny. I said something along the lines of, "Ok he says, because it is frozen on your paperdoll, you have to first uninsure the inquis on your paperdoll, then set them in your pack for 3 seconds, then reinsure them, then uninsure, then reinsure again. After that you can put them on your doll and they should be fine." Of course what poor Johnny doesn't know is that i'm stealthing right by him in tram brit, and have him tracked. He walks off a little ways, to an area where he's alone...so he thinks. I have his pack open and the inquis targetted, i see them drop in his pack. The second the insure disappears...*swipe*. I then bank them and boot him from the guild. OMG A SCAM! Wrong, they were stolen with the stealing skill, so they are therefore a steal. He's just an idiot. I mean dude, "Hey, uninsure your item in your pack for me." THAT'S THE LAMEST TRICK IN THE BOOK.

How could you do that to a person?! You must be the most low-life piece of crap irl. Actually no, i don't steal irl and i'm probably one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. If you're a red, do you murder irl? No, you don't (at least i hope not lol). My motto is "No matter what i steal, the person is going to hate me anyway, so why's it matter how i go about stealing it?" I remember it's just a game, like for instance a football game. One team has to lose, not everyone can be happy. I've had countless people quit the game after i've stolen their items, and i just figure if they took the game that seriously to quit over one item...then i did them a favor. Remember it's a game, you're a thief, everyone will hate you anyway...do whatever it takes.

I was gone for 8 months, and returned probably 1 month ago. Within the first 2 weeks i was back, i stole those inquis, orni, folded steel glasses, val hammer, a kryss worth 20mil, AoF, and some other stuff kinda worthwhile. All together, arti-wise, i've stolen (from players):

2 legacy's of dread lord
2 staffs of magi
2 prepatch taskmasters
2 leggings of bane
3 bers mauls
5 arcane shields
7 helms of insight
axe of heavens
blade of insanity
dragon slayer
voice of king
ring of vile
dryad bow
crown of harrower
mace and shields
folded steel glasses
hat of magi
armor of fortune
orni of magician
3 jackals collars
2 inquis resolutions
4 crimson cinctures

Keep in mind the vast majority of these were stolen back when they were worth a lot. And i might even be forgetting some. That's just artifacts alone, i can't even count the other items i've stolen. I don't do doom, i don't even do spawns. I mainly just chill and keep a watchful eye out for possible steals. I call my form of thief the "Persuasion Thief". The best part of the story, i have a thief training room in my house, along with books explaining some of the techniques i've developed over the years. I do whatever it takes to keep the thief class going on main shards, and my thief guild is growing constantly. We're multiplying very quickly. And so here's the real question...

Which thief would you rather deal with: Old School or Modern Day? Bringing back old school thieves, so that we wouldn't have to resort to methods like this, is sounding better and better now isn't it?

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This man speaks the truth.

*continues being the lesser of two evils*

Shinobi has always gotten better stuff than me. I just enjoy the hunt.

:stir:

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok sorry, i need to say a few things. First of all, thieves aren't dead. Sure, the majority of them went to siege after insurance came out, big woop. But if you want a reason to bring back the old school thief to main shards, here it is...

I started after AoS, so insurance was already a part of the game. Yet, i've played my thief as a main char (on a main shard) ever since, and it's the only method of income i've had in the game for over 6 years. I hand out probably 20mil a week to either other thieves who need help or to newbs in general cause i'm bored. "Oh but Shinobi, that's not possible with stealing as your only income." And yes i mean STEALING not SCAMMING. I use the STEALING SKILL without bugs or exploits, so therefore it's a steal. So what's the reason to bring back old school thieves? It's because modern day thieves are 10x worse to deal with than old school thieves. We resort to low-down dirty techniques. One second you think we're great people, then the next, OH SURPRISE, your item(s) have been stolen. And what's even worse, we do whatever it takes to get the steal.

For instance, i saw a guy at tram brit named Johnny Chimpo wearing inquis, and yes they were insured. He seemed to be a trader/rares collector, so i decided to go with the classic guild steal technique. I convince him we're a great guild to join with many benefits. I snoop him, but there's nothing worthwhile to steal out of his pack. We hang out for a while, and i decide to try to steal the inquis. After gaining his trust, i casually mention to him about how dyed inquis (like his) have been getting bugged lately. I made up this story about how the dyed inquis bug after crossing certain server lines. The inquis uninsure, but freeze as "insured" on your paperdoll, so you can't tell. Then next time you're killed they drop. I then told him i'd ask my rares collector friend i supposedly know irl how to undo the bug. So i tell him "Ah man he's not answering his phone, i'll try again later." I waited a little while and then "called" him again, and pretended to relay the message from my "friend" to Johnny. I said something along the lines of, "Ok he says, because it is frozen on your paperdoll, you have to first uninsure the inquis on your paperdoll, then set them in your pack for 3 seconds, then reinsure them, then uninsure, then reinsure again. After that you can put them on your doll and they should be fine." Of course what poor Johnny doesn't know is that i'm stealthing right by him in tram brit, and have him tracked. He walks off a little ways, to an area where he's alone...so he thinks. I have his pack open and the inquis targetted, i see them drop in his pack. The second the insure disappears...*swipe*. I then bank them and boot him from the guild. OMG A SCAM! Wrong, they were stolen with the stealing skill, so they are therefore a steal. He's just an idiot. I mean dude, "Hey, uninsure your item in your pack for me." THAT'S THE LAMEST TRICK IN THE BOOK.

How could you do that to a person?! You must be the most low-life piece of crap irl. Actually no, i don't steal irl and i'm probably one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. If you're a red, do you murder irl? No, you don't (at least i hope not lol). My motto is "No matter what i steal, the person is going to hate me anyway, so why's it matter how i go about stealing it?" I remember it's just a game, like for instance a football game. One team has to lose, not everyone can be happy. I've had countless people quit the game after i've stolen their items, and i just figure if they took the game that seriously to quit over one item...then i did them a favor. Remember it's a game, you're a thief, everyone will hate you anyway...do whatever it takes.

I was gone for 8 months, and returned probably 1 month ago. Within the first 2 weeks i was back, i stole those inquis, orni, folded steel glasses, val hammer, a kryss worth 20mil, AoF, and some other stuff kinda worthwhile. All together, arti-wise, i've stolen (from players):

2 legacy's of dread lord
2 staffs of magi
2 prepatch taskmasters
2 leggings of bane
3 bers mauls
5 arcane shields
7 helms of insight
axe of heavens
blade of insanity
dragon slayer
voice of king
ring of vile
dryad bow
crown of harrower
mace and shields
folded steel glasses
hat of magi
armor of fortune
orni of magician
3 jackals collars
2 inquis resolutions
4 crimson cinctures

Keep in mind the vast majority of these were stolen back when they were worth a lot. And i might even be forgetting some. That's just artifacts alone, i can't even count the other items i've stolen. I don't do doom, i don't even do spawns. I mainly just chill and keep a watchful eye out for possible steals. I call my form of thief the "Persuasion Thief". The best part of the story, i have a thief training room in my house, along with books explaining some of the techniques i've developed over the years. I do whatever it takes to keep the thief class going on main shards, and my thief guild is growing constantly. We're multiplying very quickly. And so here's the real question...

Which thief would you rather deal with: Old School or Modern Day? Bringing back old school thieves, so that we wouldn't have to resort to methods like this, is sounding better and better now isn't it?
That's a nice way to try and explain how you aren't a scammer. You are however. Whether you like to believe it or not the person on the other end of that toon is real. He expects a red to kill them. He doesn't expect someone who seems like they are helping them to hurt them. What you do is deplorable. Unfortunately, this is the way UO has grown and not only do players accept this as ok behavior but the devs and gms have allowed it to go on for over a decade.

You sir are the reason people quit. Not because of a PK. Scammers like you do it. Enjoy your UO cloak of morality. I'm mean, it's only a game...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thieves' anti-social behavior helped to necessitate Trammel.

Steal house key, get to house, bring blue friends with you (to kill you if you go gray attacking the thief), dry loot house. Laugh at your victim.

It was fun for the thieves, and for some reason players with this mentality dominate these boards.

The broader player base, however, would hate this.

Honestly it's disquieting to see this issue continually raised.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spending 5 minutes to remove something from another player when they spent hours obtaining it should never be possible without the consent of the losing player.
Or maybe, just maybe...you could spend 5 minutes learning the mechinics of the game and thief proof your belongings. It's funny when I run around on my non-thief accounts, I have never been stolen from. Why? Because I know how to keep thieves from taking my pixels. Sheesh...la
I haven't been stolen from for years either.

And by saying people should learn how to protect their gear, you're saying that players should continue to have ways to prevent themselves from being stolen from... meaning old school thieves should continue to be useless.

...la
Ya know, back when thieves could actually play on production shards, there were people who knew how to run around without being stolen from? You know who the whiners were? The people who didn't learn the game mechanics and were stolen from. My point is, if you can't take the time to learn the game mechanics to protect the pixels in your pack, you have no business whining about losing them to thieves.

Pretty simple stuff...la

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya know, back when thieves could actually play on production shards, there were people who knew how to run around without being stolen from? You know who the whiners were? The people who didn't learn the game mechanics and were stolen from. My point is, if you can't take the time to learn the game mechanics to protect the pixels in your pack, you have no business whining about losing them to thieves.

Pretty simple stuff...la
Oh... but I do know the game mechanics to protect the pixels in my pack... yet here I am saying I don't want thieves back while UO is anywhere close to as item-based as it is now.

I don't want people leaving the game because of frustration.
I don't want to hear people complaining over thieves.
I don't want to hear thieves bragging about ruining somebody's in-game experience.
That is what we get if we bring back old school thieves without making it much, much easier to recover from a major theft.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But you don't mind thieves leaving because they are frustrated?
But complaining about stealthers, sampires, archers, pks, tamers and the like is ok? You ever think that people who whine about thieves might start whining about your profession next?
I don't want to hear thieves bragging about ruining somebody's in-game experience.
Why? What would you prefer to hear players bragging about?...la

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But you don't mind thieves leaving because they are frustrated?
Thieves have Siege for the time-being. It isn't an ideal state, but there are lots of things that need to be done before it can be fair for everybody else to bring back thieving on Production shards.
I'm not saying thieves should never have the ability to go around stealing stuff "freely" from other players - just that there are lots of changes that are needed before they can.

But complaining about stealthers, sampires, archers, pks, tamers and the like is ok? You ever think that people who whine about thieves might start whining about your profession next?
No, it's not ok. I want those problems fixed as well.

Why? What would you prefer to hear players bragging about?...la
Having an enjoyable time that wasn't at the expense of another player.
Enjoying a well balanced PvP fight.
Enjoying a challenging battle against a monster with the help of other players.
Enjoying the story told by another player while sitting in a tavern.
Enjoying the time spent crafting a nice suit of armor.
Having an thief experience that was fair to both sides, and not a huge loss to whoever ends out on the bottom (both sides can go right back to doing whatever they were doing before they ran into eachother with less than 10 minutes of work, and gain an equivalent of everything that was lost in less than an hours worth of work).

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You keep using the word "fair". As I tell my kids...a fair is where there are amusement park rides and elphant ears...life isn't fair.

Besides, why should you be able to define "fair"? What's not fair about a thief trying to steal something? There have always been game mechanics in place to prevent a thief from taking pixels out of your pack, just because someone didn't take the time to learn them or bother to use them, how exactly isn't that fair?...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You keep using the word "fair". As I tell my kids...a fair is where there are amusement park rides and elphant ears...life isn't fair.

Besides, why should you be able to define "fair"? What's not fair about a thief trying to steal something? There have always been game mechanics in place to prevent a thief from taking pixels out of your pack, just because someone didn't take the time to learn them or bother to use them, how exactly isn't that fair?...la
Your right it isn't fair (Life) and why should it be and Carnival (carny) may be a more appropriate word than Fair.

BUT

Not being fair does not remove the requirement for being balanced/proportional, in a controled environment such as a game. Being a controlled environment I the intended victim have no say so or control over you the perpetrator's punishment. This would be the ideal solution though to negotiate how I could have jurisdiction over your punishment but what an can of exploits/griefing that would be. BUT it would allow me to reward the Role Played/Well Played Thief and REALLY REALLY REALLY nail the A$$hat played Thief.

When a Thief can steal a 120 hour to acquire item and risk nothing more than a few minutes of down time and the rightful owner has zero options punishment wise, then some will use the word "Fair".

BUT

It is really a function of proportional risk (aka punishment) they are speaking of.

Fine OSI let a thief steal anything he wants from me, BUT if he fails then let him have a proportional punishment.

The more I thought of the more or less flippant proposal of 1 week per N Gold value of the Victim, the more it sounded like something that would balance Punishment/Reward for a Thief. I did throw down 100 Gold but maybe 1K would be more realistic, such that if I had 20K Gold on me and you got busted your character would spend 20 Weeks in Jail.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly! Thank you for agreeing that any template in this game should be useful, this includes thieves. ^^
They most definitely should be useful. But not in a way that isn't fair to other players.

As long as thieves are brought back in a way that is fair to the potential victims as well as the thieves, I'm all for it. The only way I see that happening, however, is a lot of work (with many, many more benefits than simply bring old school thieves back into the picture on production shards).

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When a Thief can steal a 120 hour to acquire item and risk nothing more than a few minutes of down time and the rightful owner has zero options punishment wise, then some will use the word "Fair".
Learn how to protect your goods and the thief can't steal them. Is that really too difficult to understand?...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Learn how to protect your goods and the thief can't steal them. Is that really too difficult to understand?...la
Your using that cliche as a shield. It is your choice. If you would rather hide from or ignore the disparate punishment vs reward in being a Thief that is your call. But as long as it is there you wont find any supporters.

By the way, you can try to use that Club to Bully and Beat people with. Some day it will occur to you that they are in fact already protecting themselves from thieves and apparently some thieves do not see the humor in how they have protected themselves.

*Shrug*

I assume people are genuinly interested in broadening the templates, play styles and encounters in UO. The more that are the better UO becomes, in my opinion.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as they can't steal your pixels?...la
*Shrug*

Steal all the pixels you want from me as long as when I catch you I can assign a commensurate punishment.

As long as I have no say so in your punishment and what your punishment is ... non existent then :) I will bullet proof myself from you and support those that choose to relegate you to beggar status, begging for new droppings to steal.

S

Shinobi

Most people call your form of thief a scammer. You are no thief, never have, never will be. Besides, you play on a production shard, lol...la
Rico i know we've never gotten along. But put it this way. The item does get STOLEN with the steal skill, therefore making me a thief no matter how you slice it. What i do is borderline scamming i'll give you that, but it isn't a pure scam.

I also believe it was you earlier who said "I will always play a thief on uo, it's the rest of the game i can't adapt to." If you've adapted so well to being a thief, why'd you have to leave production shards and go to siege? This is how thieves have adapted to insurance, we find whatever way we can around it. Thieves have now become more like actual thieves than ever. We're cruel, and only care about getting the item...we're thieves.

R

Revenant2

You're a game mechanics scammer.

If you were on my private shard, I would perma-ban you, which is what EA should do.

So, you identify someone with an insured item they obviously do not intend to have stolen, gain their trust, then lie to them, and then use game mechanics they don't necessarily understand (guildies able to use stealing against one another) to steal their items. Your description sounds like you dual client a stealther into the mix and at the end of the process, the person's valuable item is stolen away, right in Trammel, too.

I'm taking the contents of your post and making a bug report with it and will link back to your post in this thread. I hope the devs make a change that nerfs your sh*tty game-mechanics-based scamming straight to hell.

Scammers of this sort almost always try to point the blame at the victim. "He was stupid for falling for it! He was stupid for believing me! He deserved it for being dumb!". Don't even try that sh*t as part of any reply to me (if you give one, I don't necessarily care to get one). The police don't buy it IRL and I sure wouldn't in any environment, be it RL or UO.

Anti-social people who do these kinds of things should take their psychological problems elsewhere and not torment EA's customers with their mental-illness-induced behavior.

And no I've not been scammed by someone in UO. I just recognize this destructive behavior for what it is, and and positively know that it has no legitimate place in UO.

C

Connor_Graham

The item does get STOLEN with the steal skill, therefore making me a thief no matter how you slice it. What i do is borderline scamming i'll give you that, but it isn't a pure scam.
Con Artists are called thieves also. What you did was just as much a scam as any other scam that any Con Artist would use. All you do is prey on people's trust, which is about as low down as you can get in UO. Why don't you just go ahead and quit UO. No one wants someone around that does the things that you do. The sad part is that you're actually proud of your con games and don't realize how wrong they are.

S

Shinobi

So, you identify someone with an insured item they obviously do not intend to have stolen, gain their trust, then lie to them, and then use game mechanics they don't necessarily understand (guildies able to use stealing against one another) to steal their items. Your description sounds like you dual client a stealther into the mix and at the end of the process, the person's valuable item is stolen away, right in Trammel, too.
I'm sorry but i believe he accepted a guild invite, after it gives a WARNING that says 'You can be attacked and stolen from.' He knew the consequences. And as for the uninsuring, well that was his choice. He clicked "uninsure" on his own, i did not. It's also his choice whether or not to believe me. And as for your "dual clienting", lol. It's possible for me to stealth, talk in Guild Chat without revealing, all the while following him. That was not dual clienting, nice try though.

C

Connor_Graham

I'm sorry but i believe he accepted a guild invite, after it gives a WARNING that says 'You can be attacked and stolen from.' He knew the consequences. And as for the uninsuring, well that was his choice. He clicked "uninsure" on his own, i did not. It's also his choice whether or not to believe me. And as for your "dual clienting", lol. It's possible for me to stealth, talk in Guild Chat without revealing, all the while following him. That was not dual clienting, nice try though.
It was also your choice to lie.

If you don't see what's wrong with having to lie in game in order to take something from another player that normally wouldn't be allowed by game mechanics without it, then you don't belong in UO, and we'd all be better off with you gone.

S

Shinobi

Con Artists are called thieves also. What you did was just as much a scam as any other scam that any Con Artist would use. All you do is prey on people's trust, which is about as low down as you can get in UO. Why don't you just go ahead and quit UO. No one wants someone around that does the things that you do. The sad part is that you're actually proud of your con games and don't realize how wrong they are.
You're missing the whole point of my post. This is what thieves have been forced to do after being nerfed so many times. Sure i could just sit at yew gate and steal bandages and regs all day, but now we have been forced to go after the steals we make. If the thief class wasn't nerfed so hardcore, we wouldn't resort to tactics like this.

I feel bad for what i do...seriously. But i don't let emotions get in the way of gameplay anymore. I once felt so bad cause the guy seriously seemed like he was crying irl, so i handed the item back to him and said "Sorry dude, here." What was his response? "HAHA THANKS YOU F*CKING MORON," as he recalled away. That is why i don't return items anymore.

I don't see certain reds showing any remorse for rez killing a newb over and over and over again. Or how about gank squads? After being killed by 8 people, you try to defend yourself by saying "Dude it was 8 on 1." But the only reply you get is from a stealth archer spamming "1 ON 1 FAIR DUEL HAHAA YOU SUCK."

But yes, this game is so pleasant and nice. Without me there'd be so much less frustration...right?

P.S. I made my original post to show you that there's worse things than old school thieves. Judging by the flames i'm getting, i'd say you agree.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rico i know we've never gotten along. But put it this way. The item does get STOLEN with the steal skill, therefore making me a thief no matter how you slice it. What i do is borderline scamming i'll give you that, but it isn't a pure scam.

I also believe it was you earlier who said "I will always play a thief on uo, it's the rest of the game i can't adapt to." If you've adapted so well to being a thief, why'd you have to leave production shards and go to siege? This is how thieves have adapted to insurance, we find whatever way we can around it. Thieves have now become more like actual thieves than ever. We're cruel, and only care about getting the item...we're thieves.
Ya know, after the advent of insurance, I tried playing a thief on the production shards...I really did, but it was not worth it. hell, most people even started insuring their ship keys. I have always said it's about the chase. When you steal/scam, there is no chase. Either you get guardwacked, or you get the item. On Atlantic, you couldn't even get the weenies at the Yew gate to chase after a steal because they knew the only think you may have taken was a few regs or a bandaid or two. Hell, the notos chased more often than the actual marks did.

I gave up, but found a home on Siege. you can steal things in dungeons...in the field...in town...anywhere...without having to scam someone. Siege was how I adapted. Siege is how a lot of thieves have adapted, and siege is how many more thieves will adapt. We steal from players without the use of scams and we don't have to worry about Trammel or insurance...la

R

Revenant2

You're missing the whole point of my post. This is what thieves have been forced to do after being nerfed so many times.
How about if certain 'thieves' have this psychotic desire to steal from and scam other living, breathing human beings, upsetting them and violating their sense of fairness, they consider choosing some other online environment to be in instead of tainting the grounds of UO with their presence?

Maybe they nerfed thieves not to force something on them, but to get them to stop, period, and maybe go away if they don't like what's left of the stealing skill.

Scamming/thieving like you describe has a negative impact on UO. I think of all of the people you and other scammers have stolen from and wonder how many of them declared UO a piece of trash as a result and left. I know of one person who positively left UO as the trickle-down effect of a scammer's lame stealing.

* sings* Hit the road, Jack.....

R

Righteous

To be honest I don't spend alot of time in fel but I do remember the days where you couldnt go to a bank or moongate in fel without someone trying to rob you.

I can't help to wonder what is the real risk to the thief if he is caught stealing? No jail time, no loss of equipment or gold. So basically they have absolutely no risk involved where the victim has all the risks. If you want to introduce a system where there is a risk on both sides like say one real week of jail time per time being guard wacked or killed by your victim I can see that being a do able system.

I keep hearing from you all is that we are all crybabies that don't want our toys stolen. What I see between the lines is we are bored and we want your stuff and we don't want any risk in getting it.

Righteous

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't help to wonder what is the real risk to the thief if he is caught stealing? No jail time, no loss of equipment or gold.
You really have never played a thief have you? I lose equipment all the time. If I have gold in my pack...I lose that too. Jail? For theft? In a game that punishes murderers by not allowing them into the world of the Carebear?

*laughs*

...la

S

Shinobi

How about if certain 'thieves' have this psychotic desire to steal from and scam other living, breathing human beings, upsetting them and violating their sense of fairness, they consider choosing some other online environment to be in instead of tainting the grounds of UO with their presence?

Maybe they nerfed thieves not to force something on them, but to get them to stop, period, and maybe go away if they don't like what's left of the stealing skill.

Scamming/thieving like you describe has a negative impact on UO. I think of all of the people you and other scammers have stolen from and wonder how many of them declared UO a piece of trash as a result and left. I know of one person who positively left UO as the trickle-down effect of a scammer's lame stealing.

* sings* Hit the road, Jack.....
WOW...dude, this is just a game. You're taking it way too seriously. The funnest games are the most challenging, and involve a lot of frustration. Thieves are a part of the game, and we're playing the role of the thief. Keep talking about how it's wrong that we're stealing other peoples items, but your'e forgetting. THAT'S OUR JOB. No matter HOW i steal their item they're gonna be mad. A steal always has the same end result, the item is stolen. So why's it matter how i get to that result? "Oh but the person is sad afterwards. There are real people behind those characters." Yes i know, but this is a game and my profession isn't supposed to make people happy.

If it makes you feel any better, i've always said when i got everything i want i'd play the "robin hood" role. Now days, after stealing a nice item, i like to go to haven or brit and find a newb. Not one that's 'young', but one that has been playing long enough to understand the game. I then do anything ranging from handing them a few mil to buying them their first house. I steal from the rich, give to the poor. So i'm not the only one who benefits. Multiple people benefit from one person's loss.

But even if i didn't help newbs to somewhat make up for what i do, it all goes back to the fact that i'm a thief. Stealing is what i do. The "human being" on the other side of that character will be upset they lost their item no matter how i go about doing it. So feel free to keep repeating yourself over and over about how stealing is wrong and blah blah blah...

P.S. Singing "hit the road jack"? Where am i going? You didn't just kick me out of a hockey game. Hell, even if old school thieves aren't brought back...guess who will always be here...............me.

C

Connor_Graham

You're missing the whole point of my post. This is what thieves have been forced to do after being nerfed so many times.
No one forces you to do anything. You con people of your own free will.

If the thief class wasn't nerfed so hardcore, we wouldn't resort to tactics like this.
Thieves were nerfed BECAUSE of things like this. EA realized that this type of gameplay was detrimental to the game. All you've done is used outside means to accomplish the ends that were taken out of the game. In other words, you con people by lieing to them and tricking them into trusting you in order to obtain the same ends as before thieves were nerfed into non existence on production shards.

I feel bad for what i do...seriously.
And I seriously doubt that. If you felt bad for what you do you wouldn't do it.

But i don't let emotions get in the way of gameplay anymore.
Let's not mix gameplay with something that isn't. Preying on a RL persons trust in his/her fellow player isn't gameplay. It's a Con. Plain and simple.

I don't see certain reds showing any remorse for rez killing a newb over and over and over again. Or how about gank squads?
You see their remorse every time they complain that Fel is empty, or pancake that Tram ruined the game.

But yes, this game is so pleasant and nice. Without me there'd be so much less frustration...right?
That's right. Operators are standing by to take your account cancellation over the phone. Go ahead and call now.

P.S. I made my original post to show you that there's worse things than old school thieves. Judging by the flames i'm getting, i'd say you agree.
Actually you've taken old school thieves to a brand new low. That doesn't mean in any way that they have a place on production shards any more than your type of con artist thief.

K

Kith Kanan

caught...la
when I spell check your danish you can spell check my english ok buster ???

And yes 99,99% of all old school thiefs where griefers , running nakid and loosing ZERO when killed, and you ask me if I think its ok if they get a crack at taking my stuff for free with no risk.... what do you think ?????

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
caught...la

And yes 99,99% of all old school thiefs where griefers , running nakid and loosing ZERO when killed, and you ask me if I think its ok if they get a crack at taking my stuff for free with no risk.... what do you think ?????
When I try to use Danish, please do correct me if I use it incorrectly...buster.

LOL, I don't think you knew 99.9% of the old thieves, so I don't believe you know what you are speaking about. Nice try though...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You really have never played a thief have you? I lose equipment all the time. If I have gold in my pack...I lose that too. Jail? For theft? In a game that punishes murderers by not allowing them into the world of the Carebear?

*laughs*

...la
Your absolutely right it is a Joke.

And it should be rehabilitated while the Thief problem is being rehabilitated.

Quite honestly, I think for Fel/Siege they should just remove all the fluffy crap and Make it a Perma Death environment. No matter how you die (PvP,PvM,Guard Wacked) that character is dead.

Put the skill ups back the way they were, remove the Insureance, Remove the Bonding, remove the Nx greater resources etc.

Make Fel/Seige a viable Real Experience and have it be PermaDeath.

They did this in Everquest as an experiment. The World was a HIT ... mostly untill the hacks and exploits got going, then it became the normal, "The very very few ruin it for the rest".

PermaDeath sounds bad but when you realize everyone is in the same boat ... it begins to change you and how you see things.

Anyway it was disbanded due to not just the hacks and exploits but various game mechanics, not the least of which was being able to do a /who all and get a list of all the characters in the zone, their levels, class etc. and the Con system would have been disabled (my opinion). The Con system allowed you to see how you would fare vs another player or MoB. They would range from "That is trivial" to "That will mop the floor with you". That kind of information in a PermaDeath environment is just devastating.

S

Shinobi

Thieves were nerfed BECAUSE of things like this. EA realized that this type of gameplay was detrimental to the game. All you've done is used outside means to accomplish the ends that were taken out of the game. In other words, you con people by lieing to them and tricking them into trusting you in order to obtain the same ends as before thieves were nerfed into non existence on production shards.
Wow, that's a compliment in my eyes. I've found a way to in a sense undo the nerf that was put on thieves. Please keep posting about how stealing items is mean, I'M A THIEF. You telling me about how stealing items is so wrong doesn't affect me because it's what i do. You think i haven't heard all of this before? Now please, yet again, tear down my post sentence by sentence and say the same thing you've been saying. People who aren't thieves should just stop posting on here because all they're doing is repeating themselves:

Thieves are mean.
Stealing is wrong.
Consider the other person's feelings.
Low life scum.
Must be a terrible person irl.
It makes the game not fun for the victim.

So please, if you have something that isn't in some sense a repeat of the list above...then feel free to post it.

K

Kith Kanan

When I try to use Danish, please do correct me if I use it incorrectly...buster.

LOL, I don't think you knew 99.9% of the old thieves, so I don't believe you know what you are speaking about. Nice try though...la
Yeah like I would waste my time correcting other peopels spelling ........

Lol well neither do I belive you did , so how does that prove me wrong ????

Back in the day 99,9% of the thiefs where naked gate and bank huggers , that changed to ca 90% when we got the disarm special, then the last 10% ran around spamming disarm trying to steal stuff of other peopel fighting , still naked ofc so they would not lose anything if killed , except maybe a few pots and aids , saying other wise is just being ignorant , and as sad as correcting other peopels spelling............

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
caught...la

It was really only about 90% of thieves were leg humpers. Then there was 9% disarm thieves and 1% was an actual thief worthy of the name.

Don't bother trying to explain thieves to Rico though. He has blocked all evidence of leg humpers from his memory. It helps advocate his opinion better.:thumbsup:

S

Static

The idea that people will post the most radical, out of the ballpark comments about thieves, But yet when there is a "scripting rant" topic you guys stay complacent. But the MINUTE you add emotions into your decisions you become a grieving follower.

Most of the games experiences are remembered by emotions, And thats fine because thats what UO is about, Experiences.

To say that "THIEVES" in game are terrible people in RL is like comparing, all white people as racist.

Most comments against thieves here are a Liberalized "Fear Mongering" (Make the Hate vote) idea.

Most of you (Granted, some points are well thought out against/for) have to use "scare" tactics to make a "valid" point. Your opinions have no standing.

I would like to actually have NON Knee Jerk reaction from people in this community about ideas for thieves, Not just purely NERF them.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The skill is stealing and snooping hiding and stealth....
I never played a theif once and i wish they were back with a full hard on. The last time i was robbed i cought the snooping, dropped a conflag and out of the darkness came the corpse. beautiful times in UO. anyhow even if an idea arises its imidiatly thought of in the most negitive way instead of thinking of a constructive way. and if the idea is good. they ignore it and move on to someone else they can argue with.

im sure the devs will handle it.