• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bring back old school thieves?

• Thread starter kennykilleduo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Bring back old school thieves?

• Yes

Votes: 91 48.1%
  • Yes , but limited to PVP / Factions only

Votes: 41 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

Rumpelstiltskin

Last time I checked, there were more than one bank in the game to go to. Hell for that matter, there were more than one bank in Brit. This is what I mean about players being too lazy to learn how to adapt. If thieves were such a bane, do your banking elsewhere. Sheesh...la
want thiefs back in the game? allow things to be stolen in tram, if someone is afk at the bank sucks for them...

P

Prince Caspian

Last time I checked, there were more than one bank in the game to go to. Hell for that matter, there were more than one bank in Brit. This is what I mean about players being too lazy to learn how to adapt. If thieves were such a bane, do your banking elsewhere. Sheesh...la
Well, yeah... that's what we did. I usually went to the Minoc bank. Miners and not many thieves.

I'll be the first to admit thieves have been sooo nerfed in this game that they are all but useless. Plus, with the insurance and blessed items, it hardly is worthwhile anymore.

Rico, buddy -- I know thief is your preferred class and I'm not trying to paint all thieves as griefers. I'm just saying that there was a time in this game when many thieves were overpowered griefing vehicles that preyed on other players. I'm not saying they shouldn't be given a boost, but I don't think they should be brought up to the DLD levels.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AH! I am from Chicago, too! So now you HAVE to help me! ... ha!

pleeeeeeeeeease!
Start up a thief on Siege. I am going to start up a newbie thief guild you can join. I just hope you don't have any problems with wearing pink...la

K

kennykilleduo

Yes 41 53.95%
Yes , but limited to PVP / Factions only 16 21.05%
No 19 25.00%

Voters: 76.

Better than 50%......:thumbup:

N

NemesisDesignz

Nothing worse than a bunch of crybabies to ruin games... Thieves were awesome....and I never had a good one really... and I played in Fel 98% of the time back in the day.... you just had to know how to protect your gear and not get ganked...just like you had to always be on guard to get jumped by a red.... Having both felluca and trammel is what makes UO imho the best MMORPG... WoW sure doesn't have it.. you can either pvp on a server...or not.. no real risk factor..Now you can insure and bless EVERYTHING just about so no risk in losing anything besides easily made money...plus stuff that you dont insure in dungeons now all u gotta do is click your body once to get all of your **** back... rather than having to run up grab a sword and aids heal run around get the rest of your stuff...... Nothing is wrong with a little blood pumping and getting ya excited....... my issue now is that reds seem to be way too common now since they are allowed to go into cities and bank other than at bucs den or yew... seems like theres no real consequences for them anymore other than not being able to go to trammel...

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, yes thieves did managed to escape guards back in 98 or sometime. But guess what! You CANT escape guards now. So that whole argument is pointless.
I am an old school thief. I know what stealing was like before insurance and even before trammel. NO, thieves didn't get away 90% of the time, thats a horribly overestimated idea. When they brought in trammel there was a huge decrease in people playing in fel. People who didn't want the risk went to tram and didn't come to fel that often, or even at all.
Even when people were in fel, you still had the risk of getting guard wacked when stealing in guards. People seem to be forgetting the obvious fact that when stealing you still risk getting guard wacked! You don't succeed all the time! Generally if you don't want an item stolen you didn't walk around with it in your bag. Hence we dont see everyone with PS's in their bag everywhere. People are not that that stupid in this game.
As my guild's quote goes. Stealing is simply looting from the living. Same goes for fighting pk's If you dont want to lose a certain item, you dont carry it with you.

My opinion goes, either let thieves steal alot more items in fel,
Or keep the current rules (only being able to steal uninsured and nonblessed items) and let us steal in tram as well.

G

galefan2004

Sorry but you are artifact hunters now. The problem with this is the only way it could actually be done is to either allow insured/blessed items to be stolen or to remove insured and blessed items in Felucca.

The last I checked you can still steal from other players, it is simply that anything worth stealing has already been insured. You never could steal suit items unless you disarmed someone, and those items shouldn't be stealable either.

When this item became item based to the extreme stupid ways to lose items went away. We don't need yet another reason to keep people out of Felucca. Old theifs that complain there is nothing of value obviously haven't gotten very creative because last I checked if you were good you could steal power scrolls and stat scrolls with virtually no pentalty.

G

galefan2004

The problem with stealing from players is that it's only fun for the thief, unless you happen to like chasing thieves around to get your item back. Until someone can make it fun to be a victim too, I say stealing should be limited to pvp/factions. How it should be made viable for pvp/factions I do not know.
You couldn't get your item back anyways. You could kill the theif but your item had some sort of protection which made it so you couldn't get it back if it was stolen even if you killed the theif. That was just a messed up system. Of course theives loved it...everyone loves getting something for nothing, but those that were stollen from were not exactly huge fans so the system ended.

G

galefan2004

No they wouldn't. Most fel players probably want insurance. Most MMO players are carebears who want it easy, no challenge, no risk, no danger.
You mean like if they were playing a game? Wow. Imagine that. They want calculated risks and rules that are present in every other game. If I want risk (I mean real risk not the risk of losing pixels), I get enough of it in life. I want to escape my life for a bit when I PLAY a game, so yeah I don't want to think about losing what I played to aquire.

That's just the way it is. But that doesn't change the way it should be.
I think that society has already decided that what the masses want is what sets what something should be instead of one individual getting their own way.

Any true gamer who belongs in an MMO and not in a one-player game (like most mmo players do), will have no problem with thieves existing and all gear uninsured. It's fun for the thief yes. But it adds risk for the victims, which makes it good for them too.
When the risk was losing a 100k sword (at the most extreme) then yeah it was almost fun. Now the risk is losing a 40 mil weapon if disarmed, and that having that happen could DESTROY your game play. If they were to make theives able to steal weapons again (which is all they ever were able to steal without killing the person) then they better make those items drop form the 40 mil value to the 100k value again first.

G

galefan2004

Bring back old school thieves (even though there may be more of us around that some may think) isn't about fun for other players, it's about fun for the people who enjoy playing thieves, and a different flavor of PvP for the other players.
Wait a minute...aren't you the ones always claiming that its not about getting what you want? Why do you think that what you want is more important then what those that don't want to deal with thieves want?

Learn how to evade thieves stealing your loot, or learn how to tell who is in the thieves guild and if they are freely attackable (this would require the devs to bring back gray status for thieves). There were all sorts of scenarios where players interacted that went away when the bulk of my profession was eliminated with insurance.
The bulk of your profession was destroyed by items becoming 100x more valuable. Insurance was a side effect. No one is willing to lose a 40 mil item, but many didn't mind that much when losing a 100k item.

At this point, I don't care about insurance since I don't play on a production shard, but there are still a lot of things that the devs could do that would make playing a thief more fun to play for many others. I will always play a thief while playing UO. It's the main part of the game that I can't adapt to, lol...la
Who wouldn't? I mean, seriously, if I could make 40 mil by just disarming and stealing and running away I'd make a theif too.

G

galefan2004

1 UO is to easy now
Not if you find ways to make it challenging. Try soloing peerless or raiding a champion spawn without friends. People complain how easy UO is, but the same people do nothing to try to make it challenging. Killing high end monsters (outside of peerless, dark fathers, champions, and lich lords) has simply never gotten harder or easier then it was in the first days of UO.

2 If you can kill and loot you should be able to steal same items
No because killing and looting takes actual effort. Getting in a fight with someone disarming them and stealing their weapon doesn't take effort.

3 To much safty just make people be more greedy
Do you honestly think anyone would still be playing this game if everytime you left the house you could lose a 100 mil suit (and that is not an exageration for a decent pvp suit). If someone lost years of work everytime they died they simply wouldn't play this game any longer. The reason people didn't mind losing items in the days before AoS was that you could replace those items in about 2 hours with a gold farmer. The average suit was between 250k - 500k and you could still easily make 100k an hour back in the day just in gold.

G

galefan2004

Only the part about the newbie thief. The rest is all too true. No risk and thieves on every corner was a reality.
To be a disarm theif you had to work 3 skills to 100 with power hour. That was SO much work. I can't imagine anyone having to do all that to steal 100k items back to back while naked.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frankly, unless they make almost all drops from high end spawn to be outrageously good I don't think it will happen. This is in fact sad as I am a long time thief player and one of the last thieves on normal production shards. *Thieves Unite!*

I do however like the thought that thieves could steal for the insurance(with all the normal checks and balances) and have the item return to the persons bank box while the insurance gold goes to the thiefs bag.

I do believe however that containers should be open to theft and if you put insured items in a secondary bag that's your loss if the bag isn't too heavy to be stolen (a meager 20 stones of weight stops the thief completely).
Thieves should be able to steal bags of sending as well.
Insurance should receive a maximum number of items which can be insured on a player. It's outrageous that anyone should be able to insure 10 different weapons.

Beatles should be snoopable, as should some bugged secondary bags in pack animals. Petballs should also not be allowed to be insured and arrows should be at risk if a thief tries to randomly steal from a players quiver(GM stealing+ only though).

The thrill of the chase could again live on and the item based game would largely go unaffected without crushing us to death for no reason.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you cannot bring back old school thiefs with insurance period

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with stealing from players is that it's only fun for the thief, unless you happen to like chasing thieves around to get your item back. Until someone can make it fun to be a victim too, I say stealing should be limited to pvp/factions. How it should be made viable for pvp/factions I do not know.
The problem with you killing a monster that I'm killing is that it's only fun for you, unless you happen to not like sharing loot (I don't.)

Can we make it so you can't play/enjoy this game too?

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Killing high end monsters (outside of peerless, dark fathers, champions, and lich lords) has simply never gotten harder or easier then it was in the first days of UO.
That is not true. For starters, the item properties/new skills available to characters today make it a lot easier. Sampires would be the first thing that comes to mind... and really, they are the only plausable char that solos top bosses.

No push through makes it easier.

No pks in 7/9ths of UO's landmass makes it easier.

Item Insurance makes it easier.

Trammel is all about making it easier for people, from divying up the loot so the people who can't double click a corpse, or even defend their own kills from other players get their "fair share." Hell, you even have to have instanced dungeons because people can't stand sharing the game with eachother unless its on their own individual terms... which actually leaves out more individuals than it self-serves.

So sorry, but newp.

And if players could craft usable suits and if monster loot (not just the top tier of monsters) dropped usable loot... then we could dump item insurance and get back to players interacting.

Right now, its grind grind grind till you get what you need then... BORED

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trammel was created so that people could play the game without having to deal with whiney, crap talking ******bags you will meet everywhere in Fel. Nothing's changed there. Except for the population.

Still can't figure out why Tramm was truely created and has been the most popular facet since day one eh Rain?

Was eight (8) years ago. Get over it already.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yes lets reinstall the Bad Old Days of the Naked Bank thief that steals, get guard whacked and is just Twitchy enough to have it put in the bank before you or someone can yell Guard.

Oh yeah great reward / risk that was.

There may be some (well hopefully) that can *Gasp* actually Role Play a Rogue / Thief / Scoundrel.

IT ISN'T going to be the majority. This means they are in it to GRIEF others, pure and simple.

In this context, as has been pointed out, The only one being entertained is the Greifer .... ops Thief.

D

Deadly Shadow

Trammel was created so that people could play the game without having to deal with whiney, crap talking ******bags you will meet everywhere in Fel. Nothing's changed there. Except for the population.

Still can't figure out why Tramm was truely created and has been the most popular facet since day one eh Rain?

Was eight (8) years ago. Get over it already.

well said

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A thief in PvP currently is very annoying if they are allied to your enemy.

Steal pots, enchanted apples, bolas, bandies, grapes of wrath, orange petals, petals of Trinsic Rose... Very disrupting...

Apart from having more stealables and having vital role in Factions I can't see what else they could be useful for. But hey, bring them back if you can. Can't hurt.

Leaf

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thieves are alive and well on Seige. It's the only shard where this game is exciting to play for me. The closest thing to the old days of UO. You are held accountable for your actions, crafters are needed, community play is tight and thieves have a blast!

S

Static

Thieves are well and alive on atlantic also.

I voted yes, But i acctully enjoy insurance. Its a catch 22. I insure all my gear (You think im Stupid?) Insurance makes me (as a thief) i enjoy every theft. From basic gear to uninsured wonders. Insurance is good and bad at the same time. I have to "try" each time i go out to locate somthing in someones backpack thats worth value, Some Insured some not.

Thieves are still alive, but stealing an orny each day is not a reality, and i belive most thives accept that and go with the flow.

My .2$

O By the Way, I got a hair dye last night- 8mill sold.... So Im not doing so bad...

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An argument that is (well was) often made is the player must protect themselves, just like real life.

Then of course that argument is degenerates to nonsense fast when the rebuttal comes up "Yeah, well you don't stay dead, you don't stay in jail, you don't stay hurt etc, like in real life".

Or in short is using the Real Life Scenario ... Selectively.
The problem for Thieves and PKR's in this context is the same. There is NO means for the Server Community to Jail the individual or Collectively protect themselves. So they just take a hit and keep on being anti social, knowing darn well that the players they are victimizing can NOT protect themselves any were near like they can in Real Life.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An argument that is (well was) often made is the player must protect themselves, just like real life.

Then of course that argument is degenerates to nonsense fast when the rebuttal comes up "Yeah, well you don't stay dead, you don't stay in jail, you don't stay hurt etc, like in real life".

Or in short is using the Real Life Scenario ... Selectively.
The problem for Thieves and PKR's in this context is the same. There is NO means for the Server Community to Jail the individual or Collectively protect themselves. So they just take a hit and keep on being anti social, knowing darn well that the players they are victimizing can NOT protect themselves any were near like they can in Real Life.
There is a way a player can protect themselves from thieves and PKs... it's called staying in Tram. Fel is the "prison" where you can find murderers and thieves. Though you can protect yourselves against both even in Fel - you take care where you go, how you behave. If you're totally paranoid, you can become a stealther and wear death robes 24/7.

There are many ways to protect against thieves and murderers, but you have to pass through the school of hard knocks in Fel to learn them all. The most obvious thing being - don't carry stuff if you don't want someone stealing it.

If we were all forced to live in Fel, then yeah, it's harder on new players and those who don't like PvP/thieves. But as Fel is a choice for players, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to allow thieves to make a proper dishonest living in Fel.

Wenchy

S

Static

This is truley my feeling......

You stay in tram you get the benifit of having insured items

FEL- The insurance is automaticly turned off upon entrance to fel. blessed items will still be blessed but insurance will be nol in void.

Return to tram insurance is automaticly turned back on.

Enjoy!

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, and here is some food for thought, without insurance, theives still would not get as good of items... Why?

People wouldn't bring all their gear super uber gear to Felucca, they would be too afraid to lose it.. PvP also might be a little more balanced when the game is less little gear based..

I would suggest removing insurance in Felucca and keeping it in Trammel....

L

love2winalot

Thieves are the greatest scripter/unattendeded macro police in the game. Let us steal in Tram and a lot of that comes to a skreeching halt. No need to cry to the GMs about it. See it, log in your thief, steal everything they are macroing, hehehe.

ps: ummmm, not that i ever used to do that.........i......ummmmmm.....saw someone else do it.....yea.....that the story.:danceb:

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a way a player can protect themselves from thieves and PKs... it's called staying in Tram. Fel is the "prison" where you can find murderers and thieves. Though you can protect yourselves against both even in Fel - you take care where you go, how you behave. If you're totally paranoid, you can become a stealther and wear death robes 24/7.

There are many ways to protect against thieves and murderers, but you have to pass through the school of hard knocks in Fel to learn them all. The most obvious thing being - don't carry stuff if you don't want someone stealing it.

If we were all forced to live in Fel, then yeah, it's harder on new players and those who don't like PvP/thieves. But as Fel is a choice for players, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to allow thieves to make a proper dishonest living in Fel.

Wenchy
*Shrug*

I don't disagree with anything you said.

My point was the argument of "Well, you need to protect yourself you wuss as you clearly dont in Real Life.", "Well, you need to protect yourself just like you do in Real Life".

They are mixing the scenarios to suit their ends.

But Wenchy, Static, andy anyone that wants to answer the question, lets do this.

Fel is all about Risk vs Reward. Are we in agreement here?

If an item takes (by design) one month of 4 hour days to acquire and a Thief FAILS to steal it and gets caught, what is the

A) Current Penalty
B) The appropriate penalty vs the effort made by the rightful owner?

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If an item takes (by design) one month of 4 hour days to acquire and a Thief FAILS to steal it and gets caught, what is the

A) Current Penalty
It should be: Perma-grey to that player & all detectives that are hired by that player. A perma-grey that doesn't lift until that player gets their item back.

If you're a successful thief, you're going to end up being grey to half the shard. (The way it should be.)

Details on "detectives" can be debated later.

If not "forever" then a very long time. Maybe wear off eventually.

:stir:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Shrug*

Fel is all about Risk vs Reward. Are we in agreement here?

A) Current Penalty
When stealing was introduced, the items we had to steal were not like today's items. There were goodies, but not like we have now. But that just means that any solution on offer has to consider that. Right now the non-thieves can insure anything worth having (aside from cursed items) and it's weighted too far in their favor IMHO.

I'm not asking that everything falls into the thieves lap, just that the skill gets looked at, and updated so it's both fun for the thief and not too disheartening for the mark. After all, a mark is the thief's bread and butter, if they're all too scared to visit Fel, we have nobody to rob. There needs to be a better balance so players on both sides are cool with it.

I'm more than happy to flag perma grey as a thief, have challenges before me and have to work to get something from a mark's bag. The chase is half the fun - that's why tram stealing is dull :D If I get caught, I don't mind consequences. In other words, I'm happy to try any solutions that are on offer if it means my thief can have more fun again. It can't all go in the thieves favour, but the current system is very restricted, pretty dull pickings (PS and resources don't interest me) and lacks fun.

Wenchy

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spending 5 minutes to remove something from another player when they spent hours obtaining it should never be possible without the consent of the losing player. It makes the game frustrating, not fun.

If high-end gear becomes unnecessary or easy to obtain quickly and repeatedly... then talks about thieves, insurance, blessings, PoF, repairing, decay, etc can continue... but until then any changes that make it harder for people to retain their items would make UO more frustrating than fun.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spending 5 minutes to remove something from another player when they spent hours obtaining it should never be possible without the consent of the losing player.
Or maybe, just maybe...you could spend 5 minutes learning the mechinics of the game and thief proof your belongings. It's funny when I run around on my non-thief accounts, I have never been stolen from. Why? Because I know how to keep thieves from taking my pixels. Sheesh...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or maybe, just maybe...you could spend 5 minutes learning the mechinics of the game and thief proof your belongings. It's funny when I run around on my non-thief accounts, I have never been stolen from. Why? Because I know how to keep thieves from taking my pixels. Sheesh...la
So .... are you advocating that thieves should NOT have an appropriate punishment (AKA Risk) when caught? :) That if I catch the thief all that can be done is to kill the thief and that is what all of a few minutes to back on the UO Streets business as usual. What a great Risk the Thief takes, dont ya think? :)

You would seemingly be saying the onus is 100% on the (to coin Wenchy) The Mark. BUT be silent on the inappropriate Risk the Thief is taking for value of the item. (Don't ya know :) )

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not even going to bother reading any of the posts in this thread since it will never happen.

Old style thieves were essentially removed from this game and for good reason. It's a no skill, no risk, griefing template.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a great Risk the Thief takes, dont ya think? :)
When I am caught, I usually lose quit a bit. It's funny to watch the vultures swoop in to loot my corpse, even when the guards whack me. The risk is...if we fail, we don't get the loot. What's could be worse than that?...la