• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

KYRONIX HAS ASKED FOR INPUT FOR THE NEXT EVENTS

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Please go to the official forum and provide feedback to him about upcoming events and rewards.

The thread is here: Fall Dynamic Events Discussion

Especially maybe mention that Antique is a non-starter for rewards.

Thanks.
No thanks.
I like posting here.
I'm sure he has internet access, he can come here.

My only feedback would be: stop trying to impose a requirement for city governors to hold an event while you have paid contract workers hired specifically to hold events.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One day @Pawain might realize that UO is way bigger than official. Meanwhile he's in good company with Broadsword :)

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
"constructive criticism" only please, thanks.
Let's all try to be more "constructive ".

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix last posting was in 2017 and his last visit is blank because he hasn't been here in so long. We all know you will piss and moan when you don't get what you want because you are so childish, maybe you all should just stomp your little feet and cry some more.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is a great amount of knowledge that being said if you want to be heard no matter how crapply official forum is it..

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
in my opinion, we dont need to become anymore powerful at least not for awhile. i do hope they make things fair somehow between gargs and human/elf. i wont go into alot on how gargs have been screwed over because its a long list. the new earrings that have been given out is just the most recently ones.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Any future gargoyle items should be necklace and or legs the neck spot is especially bad because tinkered items suck..

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately it doesn't matter what feedback they get, they will just do exactly what they intended to do anyway. :(
I don't think the UO Team has been creative for a long time.
At times it has appeared as if they have no ideas at all and tried farming the player base for ideas.

The ideas they choose to listen to are almost always the worst and on the rare occasion that a good one is considered, it is usually poorly implemented.

It's straight up poor decision making.
You're spot on. It doesn't matter what feedback they get, Mesanna is gonna do what she wants to do.

To put things into perspective for some people, Broadsword UO is like a free shard ran by Mesanna, except it's not free.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At times it has appeared as if they have no ideas at all and tried farming the player base for ideas.

The ideas they choose to listen to are almost always the worst and on the rare occasion that a good one is considered, it is usually poorly implemented.

You're spot on. It doesn't matter what feedback they get, Mesanna is gonna do what she wants to do.

To put things into perspective for some people, Broadsword UO is like a free shard ran by Mesanna, except it's not free.
Again, I've never played a freeshard but there are plenty of videos on YT and those guys/gals get pretty creative. It makes zero sense that they can do the things they do for free, and our Devs take months if not years to implement the simplest of changes.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Kyronix will get all of the super fan replies over on the official forums that he needs, over here he'll simply get the truth.
That's cute to say and all but in reality there's plenty of negative feedback (as in "you got this wrong") on that thread, including but not limited to most of my own post. The problem isn't the lack of such feedback on those forums, it's whether or not Kyronix chooses to listen to it. When Stratics and official forums have existed simultaneously, Stratics has always been the place to bring out the leather jackets and cigarettes, as opposed to the official forums' sports jackets and ties, but to pretend that he's getting no negativity on the official forums is just incorrect.

The problem isn't if the negative feedback is there or not, it's if he listens. And that's no less true whether it comes from here, or from the official forums.

Oh, before I forget: "Truth" and negativity aren't always the same. It kinda depends.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Again, I've never played a freeshard but there are plenty of videos on YT and those guys/gals get pretty creative. It makes zero sense that they can do the things they do for free, and our Devs take months if not years to implement the simplest of changes.

This is pretty bad but it actually makes a lot more than "zero sense." Similar things happen in other places. Everyone remember the Luke Skywalker cameo on "The Mandalorian," and how awful it was, and how there were some folks who within days of that episode airing were able to improve it a lot? Everyone remember how Skyrim mods improving the game were released within days of the actual game itself? And how, to this day, new content Skyrim continues to be released by modders that can exceed the quality of the original game?

Never underestimate our fellow nerds who have talent and dedication to do this kind of stuff.

And, even more importantly, have no profit motive to consider.

Take the Luke Skywalker cameo as an example. I've read that the most-likely explanation for how they were able to make such an awesome improvement to that scene was that they used footage of the actor from other performances to frame the CGI. Disney would've had to have paid for the rights to do that, and wouldn't have wanted to, but someone doing it for love and publicity, and potentially covered under the "parody" exceptions to the copyright laws, not profit, has fewer constraints.

Take the Skyrim mods as an example. Imagine what you can do when you use voice actors who are either volunteers or come a lot cheaper than, say, Max Von Sydow (who had an important role in the main game). Imagine what you can do when you don't have to worry about a release date looming, you can just do what you want.

And finally let us not forget just how much time the UO folks potentially have wasted on this dumb new shard thing.

So, sorry, but it actually makes considerably more than "zero sense."

It's just deplorable.

Which is a different concept.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's cute to say and all but in reality there's plenty of negative feedback (as in "you got this wrong") on that thread, including but not limited to most of my own post. The problem isn't the lack of such feedback on those forums, it's whether or not Kyronix chooses to listen to it. When Stratics and official forums have existed simultaneously, Stratics has always been the place to bring out the leather jackets and cigarettes, as opposed to the official forums' sports jackets and ties, but to pretend that he's getting no negativity on the official forums is just incorrect.

The problem isn't if the negative feedback is there or not, it's if he listens. And that's no less true whether it comes from here, or from the official forums.

Oh, before I forget: "Truth" and negativity aren't always the same. It kinda depends.
My point wasn't made..he'll get negative feedback yes, and Petra will remove it. So again, he'll get the truth here, not candy coated responses.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think a problem some people have when offering negative feedback is that they can’t word their responses constructively or respectively. It’s often really emotion based and reactionary, which is unfortunate.

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
You're right, some of them are pretty creative.

When you compare a similar or lesser staffed shard, the explanation of content delivery speed and quality mostly boils down to skills/talent.
The UO Team is pretty limited when it comes to skills/talent.

What I think makes zero sense is that Mesanna could have had some of these talented individuals helping her, but she chose the complete opposite.
It's bad decision making.

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
This is pretty bad but it actually makes a lot more than "zero sense." Similar things happen in other places. Everyone remember the Luke Skywalker cameo on "The Mandalorian," and how awful it was, and how there were some folks who within days of that episode airing were able to improve it a lot? Everyone remember how Skyrim mods improving the game were released within days of the actual game itself? And how, to this day, new content Skyrim continues to be released by modders that can exceed the quality of the original game?

Never underestimate our fellow nerds who have talent and dedication to do this kind of stuff.

And, even more importantly, have no profit motive to consider.

Take the Luke Skywalker cameo as an example. I've read that the most-likely explanation for how they were able to make such an awesome improvement to that scene was that they used footage of the actor from other performances to frame the CGI. Disney would've had to have paid for the rights to do that, and wouldn't have wanted to, but someone doing it for love and publicity, and potentially covered under the "parody" exceptions to the copyright laws, not profit, has fewer constraints.

Take the Skyrim mods as an example. Imagine what you can do when you use voice actors who are either volunteers or come a lot cheaper than, say, Max Von Sydow (who had an important role in the main game). Imagine what you can do when you don't have to worry about a release date looming, you can just do what you want.

And finally let us not forget just how much time the UO folks potentially have wasted on this dumb new shard thing.

So, sorry, but it actually makes considerably more than "zero sense."

It's just deplorable.

Which is a different concept.
I strongly agree with you for the most part.

Speaking of "parody", how about that barrel throwing monkey boss in Broadsword's latest expansion.
That original content idea must have been seeded from player feedback.

As per your request, I will never forget.

13745048_316106668724048_1180140140_n.0.jpg

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I think a problem some people have when offering negative feedback is that they can’t word their responses constructively or respectively. It’s often really emotion based and reactionary, which is unfortunate.
I may be guilty at times of not wording my responses constructively or respectfully.

After attempting to word my responses constructively and respectfully so many times, I have found that it does not work.

I'm glad we live in a world with alternatives.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Some of us make a point of being polite, it doesn't make any difference. I won't forget the 'T-hunt revamp discussion' where the 'cheerleaders' were acknowledged and included over and over and the rest of us, no matter how polite in our begging, were totally ignored. As I said before, he had already decided on what he was going to do and he just wanted some group of people to validate it, nobody else's opinion was heard or mattered. So going forward if you are not part of that group of enablers your opinion is irrelevant.

@John Knighthawke I agree with a lot of the post you made over there. I have no idea why Kyronix hates to give players anything useful or as powerful as other items already available.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
32 reply so far all falling on deaf ears you can keep yelling into the wind or put aside whatever keeps you from posting there and be heard it's like voting if you don't you surrender your right to complain...

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the complaints here in this forum fall on even more deafer ears....

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It makes zero sense that they can do the things they do for free, and our Devs take months if not years to implement the simplest of changes.
I can see how it wouldn't appear to make sense but it's actually much easier for someone running the UO server emulator to implement things. The server emulator software is pretty friendly to work with and was designed for people to be able to work with it. Many tools are available to make the more complicated things easier. The original server software... Probably not so much.

Think of it like the difference between replacing a part of a Toyota vs replacing a part on some car that I built myself from scraps that I have laying around my garage. The Toyota has parts made from all different manufacturers readily available to just put in the car. On the "home built" car the parts were designed only to make the car work and replacing the parts was never considered when the car was built. OSI could never have predicted that this project would still be in use 25+ years later and very little (if any) thought likely was put in to future maintenance.

The emulator software also has a small army of people contributing to it. There are all kinds of art assets and scripts available that you can just "plug in" to your server. I strongly recommend that some day you find a free shard that suits your play style and try it out.

dancingrocks

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Some of us make a point of being polite, it doesn't make any difference. I won't forget the 'T-hunt revamp discussion' where the 'cheerleaders' were acknowledged and included over and over and the rest of us, no matter how polite in our begging, were totally ignored. As I said before, he had already decided on what he was going to do and he just wanted some group of people to validate it, nobody else's opinion was heard or mattered. So going forward if you are not part of that group of enablers your opinion is irrelevant.

@John Knighthawke I agree with a lot of the post you made over there. I have no idea why Kyronix hates to give players anything useful or as powerful as other items already available.
Kyronix: "I smell feedback, quick someone get me my clown shoes."

thank_you_stratics.jpg

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This thread has veered into personal attacks unrelated to its original intent. I'm asking the mods to remove the thread. @Merlin
This is a relevant thread, so it should stay.

I will investigate and clean up soon as I can get to a computer.

EDIT:
I cleaned up and removed what I considered to be non sensical and other unrelated types of comments.

Last edited:

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on Sonoma and I am very happy with your present works, Kyronix, you're doing fine. Sometimes it's too tough for me but I manage to muddle thru it, albeit with a few more deaths than I would like but if you dumbed it down it just wouldn't be fun. Oh and in case some of you think I"m a Sampire I am not, I am a pure archer with no bushido nor any other help. I pride myself on having bows and cameos for most every combination and I play in EC so I can switch in a blink to the one I need for the stuff I'm killing.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, here's my worthless feedback:
o Don't expire the "points."
o Don't remove the trade-in guy.
o Bring back *every* reward from the similar past events.
o Repopulate Blackthorn's basement.

Want more feedback? Have a look at the "wish lists" for 2020 and 2019. Hey, thanks for giving us a warning before an item reaches zero durability... and now go fix ALL the dirty rectangle bugs, pretty please with sugar on it, and then make more alternative armor for gargoyle head and neck and undo all the chivalry/bushido nerfs that Bleak put in in 2015 and and and.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Typing the feedback here is useless. Respond to the thread on the official forum if you are going to type anything at all.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Part of the issue with the official forum is that after the first page or 2 much of the productive comments will be lost in a bunch of bickering about power creep, what is power creep, the event being too hard etc. I also agree with whoever said that the other part of the issue a good part of the time is that people don't give exact details of what they like don't like.

Example: "Antique weapons suck make them better".

Aside from the fact that it's kind of rude saying something sucks, there are about a dozen ways this can be interpreted and honestly if you aren't going to put the time in to elaborate than why should a Dev put the time in to figure out what you are talking about? Explain what exactly about the items do not work and what would work.

Example 2: "Gargs need more love".

I don't disagree but again this can be interpreted a bunch of ways. Be specific in what your ideas are for a useable garg piece by saying something like "The garg earrings should have +10 throwing instead of Ninja and in addition to all 15 resist should have LMC / 10 dex / 10 mana / etc" so that the Devs have an idea of what kind of love Gargs need.

All that said, even if you clearly lay out your thoughts they might not pick them because the Dev makes a call that the item or idea provided is too much power creep or geared too much to what only that person wants and not something the mass public would benefit from. Don't give up because they might take your ideas for an event further down the road.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My point wasn't made..he'll get negative feedback yes, and Petra will remove it. So again, he'll get the truth here, not candy coated responses.
Hmm. Apparently I never replied like I thought I did. Weird.

I just looked at the thread and there is indeed negative feedback that has not been removed. That neat dichotomy you draw between "truth" and "candy coated responses" is very odd. I didn't call any names in my mostly negative post on that thread -- does not count for some reason?

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
One thing that would be popular I think, is to add a dye bottle to the turn in rewards npc. Dye would match the color of the drops from the event. I would love a greeny yellow dye that matches the wildfire themed items we are buying.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
One thing that would be popular I think, is to add a dye bottle to the turn in rewards npc. Dye would match the color of the drops from the event. I would love a greeny yellow dye that matches the wildfire themed items we are buying.
I asked for this, but some people were very rude and said that it wasn't needed.
but I also asked if they would make the drops of footwear too.
we needed matching boots, sandals, shoes, and thigh boots of the color
to go with the drops that we like to collect

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I agree on the creativity point. They seem to find no way to add lasting content other than make another grind-fest under a new sauce. Even when they do stumble on a content idea that can keep players occupied for a long time, they just can't help but sabotage it. Pet revamp is a prime example - add variety to taming, but hard cap it with PS PvP requirements and stable slot limits.

And decision making observation is spot on. Time and time again, they think up something stupid. They are warned about how it will come out. They do it anyway. It comes out as predicted. RInse and repeat.

Who is to blame? We can be sure Mesanna is at least part of the problem. At the minimum, she is approving bad ideas. Maybe her team cannot come up with anything good, but then she should know enough to get someone better. The rakes this team keeps stepping on are not new. All of these errors have been done and have been analyzed to death in the past in other games. A professional game studio should not be this incompetent.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree on the creativity point. They seem to find no way to add lasting content other than make another grind-fest under a new sauce. Even when they do stumble on a content idea that can keep players occupied for a long time, they just can't help but sabotage it. Pet revamp is a prime example - add variety to taming, but hard cap it with PS PvP requirements and stable slot limits.

And decision making observation is spot on. Time and time again, they think up something stupid. They are warned about how it will come out. They do it anyway. It comes out as predicted. RInse and repeat.

Who is to blame? We can be sure Mesanna is at least part of the problem. At the minimum, she is approving bad ideas. Maybe her team cannot come up with anything good, but then she should know enough to get someone better. The rakes this team keeps stepping on are not new. All of these errors have been done and have been analyzed to death in the past in other games. A professional game studio should not be this incompetent.
Well between them obsessing over Power creep... which we all knew would happen... and they're listening to the wrong people about PvP... Continually nerfing the wrong things ... and constantly doing it in such a broad sweep manner that it ruins most PvM... Most of their decisions to thwart scripting and bots only hurts that average player the scripters are still doing business as usual. Still botting most of the IDOCs... still able to script place most house slots that are worth anything... still script farming about anything in-game that is worth getting... still multiboxing... still AFK farming... etc.

Their level of incompetence in even the simplest things like spelling or grammar is just inexcusable in today's world of spell check and grammar software that is FREE... They obviously don't proofread anything they post its pathetic.

Now they are working on a shard which honestly I wish they would put half that energy into the regular shards ... but it is what it is...

When I pointed out not long ago about the grindfest flavor of the season new dungeon system I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and everyone raved about how awesome wonderful the "new" content was... it ain't new... It's just moved with slight changes to the same old same old... Sure they put out one maybe two ... "different" items... but mostly they aren't worth the hours on end it takes to get them... and in the vein of pets... giving us click pets not only takes the taming out of the tame... but most of these are buggy as all get out and prone to vanishing without cause... randomly...

NOT cool... not acceptable. And still UNADDRESSED. I refused to buy any of the vanity pets on the store as these too are prone to vanishing without a trace at the drop of a hat... I already lost 2 pets to them randomly becoming unbonded... I'm not losing a pet I PAID for to some random BS either... forget it.

I've pretty much given up any hope of UO returning to something fun.

I'm working on doing my study of the lands... otherwise, I wouldn't bother logging in at all. The more I look at the more I feel bad for the current state of the game... between the obvious problems in Nujel'm with the carpenters who need to be fired, the serious moth problem in Trinsic affecting most carpet there... the issues in mainland Skara with the ovens... and the loom on the island side, and the cheap carpet layers in Britain I have little to no hope for UOs future.