• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 101 Comes to TC1

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
design number one so far...

really aggravating that they have never added the castle stone as a foundation... but it will do for now.

View attachment 85206 View attachment 85207 View attachment 85208 View attachment 85209
i dont want to offend you but your design still looks like that ugly **** crap castles before. can you try to make something actually different? (id love to but i dont have one on TC)
maybe if mesanna gets shown some "nice and different" designs on the plot size someone can confirm her to just let us do plots on prod and everyone can make their thing himself.

YES there will be a hand full of Borg Cubes but those are already there with the stone crap... i think the majority of people actually would do something amazing with their castle....

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i dont want to offend you but your design still looks like that ugly **** crap castles before. can you try to make something actually different? (id love to but i dont have one on TC)
maybe if mesanna gets shown some "nice and different" designs on the plot size someone can confirm her to just let us do plots on prod and everyone can make their thing himself.

YES there will be a hand full of Borg Cubes but those are already there with the stone crap... i think the majority of people actually would do something amazing with their castle....
To each their own. But please read before commenting next time... "design number one so far..." Ill likely design several as its a whole lot of fun. :)

also Ive seen your castles, it would be sad if you didnt get the opportunity to design one. someone should definitely let you grab a spot so you can submit.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My problems with this contest are you can't place things like they are in a true castle... it is not possible with Castle tiles in house custom to make the ramparts properly since we can't stack them up 2 and 3 high like is currently in the castle. As well you can't overlap... so there are always gaps being left. EXTREMELY frustrating... especially for anyone like myself with CDO (OCD to the extreme). I did finish 2 designs so far. Not terribly happy with the way the second one turned out again because of the "gapping" issue when it comes to placing short walls up to tall walls there is not 1/2 short and 1/2 tall wall pieces. Wishing there were. Or a half arch and half wall...
oh trust me its a pain so far... no half walls for the "true castle walls", hand rails that dont actually go up the stairs, walls that stick out, water falls that never line up... etc etc... this is pretty much the reason why i learned how to use goza matts for most of my houses.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I've had some really weird bugs with the tool, pretty frustrating, but I did manage to finish my design. I don't want anything fancy just something more practical will do.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To each their own. But please read before commenting next time... "design number one so far..." Ill likely design several as its a whole lot of fun. :)

also Ive seen your castles, it would be sad if you didnt get the opportunity to design one. someone should definitely let you grab a spot so you can submit.
sorry i overseen the "design one" being speechless/angry that they actually adjusted their tool to let folks do "full size" but not actually planning to really let them do..

thanks for the nice words btw :)

i have a "vision" however beside actually building it i think it would only show the full potential if some folks could support me with transferring a bunch of stuff (flowers, deco and things) to TC for me to speed up that as alone building and decorating will take 20-30h for what i have in mind, also having to buy together the stuff would be more time that i have at the moment.

i mean if they really are so worried about cubes why did they put stone in game lol, hell even if you need to get your build approved personally via GM would be acceptable...

ah BTW, anyone selling an atlantic castle? :D

another note: i will post 3 new homes i made on stratics over the weekend so if people are curious what i do they can have a look, just need to do some cleanup lol

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somebody better build one that is on stilts on the ground floor or there will be a lot of unhappy castle owners that cannot place the new designs.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Somebody better build one that is on stilts on the ground floor or there will be a lot of unhappy castle owners that cannot place the new designs.
yeah a friend and I were questioning how that would work... We assumed it would just be a 31x31 plot with no holes in the foundation. meaning a lot of castles that have trees in the courtyard will not be able to place the new design.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah a friend and I were questioning how that would work... We assumed it would just be a 31x31 plot with no holes in the foundation. meaning a lot of castles that have trees in the courtyard will not be able to place the new design.
Yup, and the devs said early on in the competition (last year??) that they would have to totally re-write the way housing works to allow, or manually delete each plot blocking items by hand in the client code as they are hard coded.....so that's not likely to happen.
I just wish they would answer legitimate questions instead of hiding behind the cloak of silence when they half announce stuff like this :facepalm:

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cannot imagine that Bleak won't help castle/keep owners with placement issues. He is too nice to let this happen, they all are actually. Even I admit that. I am not happy that my keep roof has to have just the shortest wall border. Looks unfinished. :( I will say this is so fun! Maybe better if I got a plot on my home shard shard. And @Finley Grant there is room left for castles, I think is. Or I will sweet talk "Test" into upping one of his many plots. Look in Malas.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With the stone crafting options we have today, I think the more open spaced the designs are, the better.
I focus on the "shell" and will leave as much space open as possible so people can craft/design their own castle more.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I transferred over Granite to make the tower walls look right. Just stack them.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I transferred over Granite to make the tower walls look right. Just stack them.
That wont work though on the finished designs though will it? Only stuff from the tool can be replicated?

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i just can hope i either got voted or mesanna let us do plots on prod. also it would be great if they open malas for castle placing and removing the malas restriction in some area.... otherwise i will need to cut off an arm and a leg in order to be able to purchase one on atlantic.

also guys. even if you like EC more than CC, for building its not usable...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are after Castle replacements though so if it don't look like a castle and more of just a large housing estate it wont pass their QA.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That wont work though on the finished designs though will it? Only stuff from the tool can be replicated?
Your guess is as good as mine. Here's a peek:

upload_2018-8-10_14-25-1.png
Had to put tiles down on the North and West walls to put the walls down, then go into Customize again and remove the tiles. The top ones sunk down into the bottom ones, but just raised them 3 to get them back where I wanted them. I've only done this on the one tower as it's pretty time consuming but I like it better than the flat short ones.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
ok i think iam soon ready for some decoration, is someone willing to ship me some items to TC (unfortunately i have none of them in stock myself)?

id need:
1 Lightouse
1 Cannon
1 raised Gardenbed
1 ea Forge/Anvil
1000000000 lol Heritage tokens (lots of Walltorches/Trees of all kind etc)
1-5 xmas trees
1 ea Rustic bench in south and east

any help is appreachiated..

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't lock down anything once you submit to the contest and you can't submit to the contest with anything locked down. So don't waste your time with deco since it's structure only.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
People need to see the BASE of the structure you are submitting because that's what they will really be getting... if you "fit it all out" they will feel ripped off when they don't get what they saw. If that makes sense.

My first design and submission is basically just a shell design with area's that have hidden doors and then area's that whoever uses the design can finish and style however they see fit... but if they don't want to go to the trouble it still works just fine as is. It's in the classic castle style and such it's just somewhat customizable.

The second one was just annoying because of restraints and such. But it turned out ok. I'll have more time to play next week when I plan to do a Keep design.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The houses will be wiped with each phase, so i'm assuming they will be using the "commit" data to reproduce the houses thus any "extra" items added will be sent to the moving crate.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
now thats a design! do we know if they will accept designs with deeds and lockdowns? i was told they wont but havent found the official word.
well i just added them to get an idea if all fits, i most likely have to remove it.
in the end, thats how i would do my castle plot.

can you give me a hint how to submit?

i will be 11 more mins on TC then i lll crack a beer open as i got birthday.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just entered my design.
You make the house public (if you haven´t already), click the "Submit House Design to Contest" button under Costumize in the house sign menu.
Then you´re told to enter Costumize mode and press Commit.

So it´s the design that you commit after submitting that enter the contest. Not any lockdowns or other add-ons.
Only the design you can make in Costumize mode.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just entered my design.
You make the house public (if you haven´t already), click the "Submit House Design to Contest" button under Costumize in the house sign menu.
Then you´re told to enter Costumize mode and press Commit.

So it´s the design that you commit after submitting that enter the contest. Not any lockdowns or other add-ons.
Only the design you can make in Costumize mode.
and how i tell them to put damn ladders in the tower?
i can put them in but one of the 3 always gets kicked when i enter custom

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
and how i tell them to put damn ladders in the tower?
i can put them in but one of the 3 always gets kicked when i enter custom
Can you leave the holes there so people can just put their own ladders there?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes, my fear is more that the devs see a hole and dismiss my entry because they think i did ****
Very nice! That is why the should just let us customize them or choose from a few winning designs.

More like a small town than a castle.

There are so many great designs on TC.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
View attachment 85248

how much does stuff like that bother you @Finley Grant ? drives me insane that they havent added pieces that fit flush.
pretty much, but once on prod you can fix it...

UOSA_2018-08-11_01-15-09.jpg

id actually love to put deco in "full pull" mode to see how good i can "grow in" / cover up the old fortress remains now basement and cover all the grass with plants and things, but that would take some much time. then seeing it getting wiped would piss me off massively....

what i also dont like is that you cannot place anything on their damn water... covering up the northern "sharp" line is painfull. normally i use blue carpet as i can put things on...

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Those designs are amazing but too complex. I think they want more simplistic designs so people can work with it as they see fit. That first design doesn't leave much room for someone elses imagination. It's supposed to be a castle, not a small town.It IS very nice but I think not what they are looking for.

Also the"foundation" won't be there in the final design I don't think..I think this was just the easiest way for them to allow us to do this.

So like in my design, the "grass" would be the courtyard straight to the ground...at least I am hoping that's how it will be! I did a keep size because I figured most people would do castles.

Krrp.jpg

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Those designs are amazing but too complex. I think they want more simplistic designs so people can work with it as they see fit. That first design doesn't leave much room for someone elses imagination. It's supposed to be a castle, not a small town.It IS very nice but I think not what they are looking for.

Also the"foundation" won't be there in the final design I don't think..I think this was just the easiest way for them to allow us to do this.

So like in my design, the "grass" would be the courtyard straight to the ground...at least I am hoping that's how it will be! I did a keep size because I figured most people would do castles.

View attachment 85269

It's good that everyone got his own preferences, style and opinion.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's good that everyone got his own preferences, style and opinion.
Don't get me wrong, I love your designs, always have and if they let us just customize like they are doing on TC right now I'm sure there would be a lot that look like that....it's too cluttered for me and not enough open space, I like more of a blank canvas to do with what I chose! BUT that could be added to the classic houses (*cough* HINT HINT MESANNA!!! *cough*) ;)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

View attachment 85269

is there any official word on the foundation? if one of the houses chosen had a very empty foundation it could leave it open to more keeps/castles being placed and vice versa...

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the most fun I have had in game since Magincia fell over. I like every castle/keep I have seen so far! Mine best... keep! 12 more days too! :) or not, I think 12.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Larisa Kyronix has stated in the uo forums that there will be a foundation. Though he didnt go into details of what that foundation would be.

kyronix.PNG

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
is there any official word on the foundation? if one of the houses chosen had a very empty foundation it could leave it open to more keeps/castles being placed and vice versa...
Trying to nail Kyronix down on this....as you can see over on uo.com forums....there are many places to place a castle but there are static objects that block a 32 x 32 plot...trying to place around trees/rocks etc. is half the fun and having a tree in your courtyard is just awesome! I am hoping they change their minds about this...the *There will be a foundation* reply from him leaves room for interpretation....as castles now have foundations but not the entire 32 x 32 area is a foundation...so I am HOPING they do it like I said in that post.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Trying to nail Kyronix down on this....as you can see over on uo.com forums....there are many places to place a castle but there are static objects that block a 32 x 32 plot...trying to place around trees/rocks etc. is half the fun and having a tree in your courtyard is just awesome! I am hoping they change their minds about this...the *There will be a foundation* reply from him leaves room for interpretation....as castles now have foundations but not the entire 32 x 32 area is a foundation...so I am HOPING they do it like I said in that post.
agreed. Leave it to the staff to leave things open to interpretation. :) I would love to see them do it like you said as some spots will become open for better placements.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
eeeeee
He visited my Castle yesterday to look at the tree in courtyard and stone on steps. Said he was going to see what could be done and update my post with the outcome.
Sadly, it sounded like this was the 1st they had heard about placement blocking items inside Castles and Keeps.
So my guess is like what was said many years ago when topic 1st aired, it's a client coding change needed to remove objects for every house location on every shard......so it's just not gonna happen.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Do they know that you can place keeps over trees aswell? The sides is 3 tiles wide and can hold trees inside.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get the idea of making giant boxes players can customize later. I would like to know how exactly they would do this. If the design is fixed do you add dyed tower stone crafted walls to a thin marble one? What we need is the ability to craft every type of wall. I would like that. Ok you can make a sandstone house and add rubble. Or an orc house and add those orc walls, Anyone have any ideas? Curtain walls?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My art lessons to draw it on paper have gone to waste. Alas.

The courtyard issue was brought up many times in the year and a half or so since this castle thing was prematurely announced with no plan at all in place for actually executing it. It shouldn't be a surprise.