• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 101 Comes to TC1

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a question maybe someone here can answer. The rules specify 3 story. Does that mean there can be no tiles on the 4th floor? I'm working on my castle plot and have a preliminary design but i have floor tiles and short walls on the 4th floor to cap off my 3rd floor. Is that acceptable? I wish the rules were just a tiny bit clearer lol.
when you select a three story with a normal house tool, instead of a roof you can put floor tiles down and have a fourth floor, right? can't imagine that it doesn't work the same here

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have a question maybe someone here can answer. The rules specify 3 story. Does that mean there can be no tiles on the 4th floor? I'm working on my castle plot and have a preliminary design but i have floor tiles and short walls on the 4th floor to cap off my 3rd floor. Is that acceptable? I wish the rules were just a tiny bit clearer lol.
if you can do it and submit it then it must be ok :_

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought they meant 3 floors plus the roof, but they didn't specifically say so....

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, The 4th floor is the "roof" so either small walls and floor tiles or use the roof tiles provided.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok so I have remastered the Traditional Keep and this is my submitted design. Feel free to let me know what you think... the red ovals indicate the location of secret doors which allow access to all the grassy areas as well as the spot behind the stairs on the first floor. I had put more doors in but then I decided you know... KISS ... if people want doors they can put them in... if they want some arches they can add them in... if they want it open ... it's open.
Edit: (Per suggestion) Removed the second set of doors, figure people can add them or not if desired, or they can put in an archway or not... For voting this one is #72 owned by Ariel Thorne.

Attachments

Last edited:

uokings7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@uokings7
Wow - Anasazi Houses ? :) Great idea and good design. I saw it yesterday ingame becaucse it's on the exact location where i have my keep on DF - and i stood standing to have look what's seldom happens :).
Yeah, I've always wanted to build one on a live shard but not enough room on an 18x18. It's called a mud brick but that's an ugly name so I called it a compound. Although some might like that haha.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good point. I also put walls and stuff on roof.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think as long as the 4th floor looks like a roof then i'm sure it will be ok.
Now if you used full sized walls then that will probably be a no no as it looks like your prepping the roof to become another level again using buildable stuff ;)

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@MalagAste we seem to have similar taste..... this post is from 2011, but I think Kurgan's contest was '06(?) - been a long time

and I would have tried to replicate it on test, but like someone above posted, ran around for quite a while and found no castle spot open
Someone go build and submit this, then take my vote

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a suggestion, if you place some support poles, columns along the interior side the keeps, castle you do not have to have those poles in the the room center. Just experiment till you get no red.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here is my design.

It is meant to be more of a shell which allows interior customization with the granite craftables.

Ideally it would be build with shadow granite if the Devs decide that would be an option for the final design.

View attachment 85528 View attachment 85529 View attachment 85530
View attachment 85531
I really like it... I'm assuming you had to put those posts in there though... I wonder if it would be better if you made the posts more of a square box than a post so people could add walls and such later but not sure... it's too bad they have to be there at all but I know how the customization works so yeah. Rather a bummer.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@MalagAste I like your new keep but I suggest getting rid of the 2nd sets of doors. Also you may want to add Railings to the stairs to stop you from "falling" down them. Overall :ten:
I had them there and then I got to thinking... you know I think I'd rather if it wins put in either some water troughs or the display cases to do that and if I wanted to do something like that I think I would rather not have the railings there. One could also do the flat tiles and stack them much like the ramparts of the walls... with granite later... was sort of my thinking so I left them off. Again going for a minimalistic approach and future "personalization" of the user.

But I think I'll take your advice and remove that second set of doors. This way if someone wanted they could put it in or not or add an archway there. *Edit: Doors removed.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really like it... I'm assuming you had to put those posts in there though... I wonder if it would be better if you made the posts more of a square box than a post so people could add walls and such later but not sure... it's too bad they have to be there at all but I know how the customization works so yeah. Rather a bummer.
Yes, the floor wouldn’t save without some sort of support (bah!). I tried several versions and this looked the best, but you’re right, it might be harder to customize around if you want walls in those spots rather than decoing around the more decorative post.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Merus You do not have to have center posts. Place the posts along the west and east side next to walls spaced out evenly until no red floor above you. I think going out maybe 2 tiles from west and east walls will stop the red. Your home is very nice and does not need center posts I think. We just saw it.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus You do not have to have center posts. Place the posts along the west and east side next to walls spaced out evenly until no red floor above you. I think going out maybe 2 tiles from west and east walls will stop the red. Your home is very nice and does not need center posts I think. We just saw it.
The max number of spaces I could get in between supports was 19 (big enough for standard 18x18 custom, but not this size). I can use posts along the sides like you said, but they have to come out quite a bit.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Merus you only need 4 and itsi better than a center post. I also made two walled in areas with arch to enter in my castle and that worked too. One west one east. I don't do pics if you like go to Trinsic Tram gate, past river along area where castles live, go way east you will see it. Do not miss Alkalabeth's Trinsic Castle farther down in that Trinsic water spot. Mine is named Trinsic Classic Newcastle. Awesome keep in that row too, ok its mine. :) Trinsic Keep est. 2018.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus The front is looking really good - edit: no it's really great - love it :) - but i have a silly question: why didn't you continue with this design on the east-side of you castle? To my opinion this could take away a bit more the cubish-character and give bit more space for outside-castle decorations - banners and so on.

@myself ;)
here I stand and cannot else. God - help me! Amen! (Martin Luther said this at Worms Parliament anno 1521 but it's not absolutly sure he did)

I confess I'm a roleplayer and to this fact and the fact that we now could build Playertowns I spent so many times once on TC to find nice designs for the roleplaying fraction on Drachenfels. Here is another result of my "hidden" plannings years ago I than put on ice which can now better realize on this bigger plots. This is my imagination of a holy house for praying to any gods - to this special case to the goddess Ri - and here it stands now - on the to me most beautiful place you find in Malas - the great "Temple of Ri"

Attachments

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok so I finished another submission though not that one yet... but this one was inspired by a temple I built some time ago called the Temple of Blood... This is the Blood Temple and it's inspiration:

For Voting #191 owned by L'Loura

Attachments

Last edited:

Brianna of Sonoma

Visitor
UNLEASHED
so many beautiful pictures and ideas...everytime i think i am done i read someone's suggestions or see a post and i'm like that is brilliant need to do that or remove that or open that up some more i love it thank you guys

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah voting is going to be super hard. I mean I want to vote for what I really, really want... even if it isn't one of mine...

But then I'm afraid it's going to be something of a popularity contest and not really about good design.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I really hope we get some nice designs and not something crazy, I don't care who wins as long as the design is good! I'd like to change my 18x18 back to a keep if I can find something with a good layout. All you people making those beautiful castles get to work on Keeps too! :D

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus The front is looking really good - edit: no it's really great - love it :) - but i have a silly question: why didn't you continue with this design on the east-side of you castle? To my opinion this could take away a bit more the cubish-character and give bit more space for outside-castle decorations - banners and so on.

@myself ;)
here I stand and cannot else. God - help me! Amen! (Martin Luther said this at Worms Parliament anno 1521 but it's not absolutly sure he did)

I confess I'm a roleplayer and to this fact and the fact that we now could build Playertowns I spent so many times once on TC to find nice designs for the roleplaying fraction on Drachenfels. Here is another result of my "hidden" plannings years ago I than put on ice which can now better realize on this bigger plots. This is my imagination of a holy house for praying to any gods - to this special case to the goddess Ri - and here it stands now - on the to me most beautiful place you find in Malas - the great "Temple of Ri"
Designing east sides is a little tricky. I know a lot of designs have exterior space on the first floor along the east side... IMO this presents a couple issues. For stand alone designs that can be placed with no neighboring houses on the east they look great, but I’ve owned and seen lots of castles with a neighboring 18x18 or similar that really blocks the view of the east side of the house. Normally this doesn’t present a decoing challenge if you are inside because once your under a roof all the additional stories are removed from view, but if you are outside they remain and would continue to obstruct the view. This is the reason my design has minimal exterior yard on the east side. I did leave a small area for plants (there are hidden doors there) and the balcony on the 3rd floor.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus that's always been a big problem. The craftable housetiles are certainly an awsome possibility to create your inner rooms as you want to - but what I'm still misliking is the fact that you never get closed wall lines - here the example screenhot of my oldstyle castle, see the red arrows. Maybe I'm to silly or it's intended by the dev's
development - I never get them closed und these dammed open holes disturbes me a lot and looks not very esthetic to me. Still hoping they also think about it to change.

upload_2018-8-16_14-26-38.png

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am going to say this, be mad or not. What I like least about my existing castle is those long skinny halls and the small corner rooms. On TC I see the same thing with different walls. Many times. My new unacceptable is post in the center. No need.

On good note whoa there are some beautiful castles. So far I truly only like my keep. Its old looking is all. I wish we get 5 votes per category. Ty to Cinderella of Sonoma for having good sense to mark runes. Ty Mene for that fun twisty turning castle! Kahn/Joe has an evil maze. Go try it.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am going to say this, be mad or not. What I like least about my existing castle is those long skinny halls and the small corner rooms. On TC I see the same thing with different walls. Many times. My new unacceptable is post in the center. No need.

On good note whoa there are some beautiful castles. So far I truly only like my keep. Its old looking is all. I wish we get 5 votes per category. Ty to Cinderella of Sonoma for having good sense to mark runes. Ty Mene for that fun twisty turning castle! Kahn/Joe has an evil maze. Go try it.

Hu :) - which one you mean @Cyrah? For an evil mage castle I have to steal this great Merus-Front Design *twinkles* - but it than must be black as black can....and we cannot color the tiles from the tool.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus that's always been a big problem. The craftable housetiles are certainly an awsome possibility to create your inner rooms as you want to - but what I'm still misliking is the fact that you never get closed wall lines - here the example screenhot of my oldstyle castle, see the red arrows. Maybe I'm to silly or it's intended by the dev's
development - I never get them closed und these dammed open holes disturbes me a lot and looks not very esthetic to me. Still hoping they also think about it to change.

View attachment 85561
With the right block and some work you can actually add in walls that connect. It’s time consuming but very possible.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I agree about the unsupported floor issue.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With the right block and some work you can actually add in walls that connect. It’s time consuming but very possible.
Time Consuming ... that's the point! :). I prefer to have something I could occupy myself which is less time-consuming and nonetheless makes great fun.

It's time consuming to mine the stone, to craft the walls and to chop them up and down with the decorating tool - not to be said about that half thinking stuff. Ask the people who changes the look of the oldstyle castles in that way and how often they went maybe crazy if some things does not functionize at once.

Note to myself: What I find great is to see how others solve a problem - and that I can find great ideas worth to rebuild - mybe for other house or playertown projects :) Thx

Delores D

Journeyman
The problem with the new craftable stone walls is if you use something other than the dark walls we now have in our castles/keeps is they will not match. After crashing a few times I would accidently log back on to my home shard and my castle there. I would say what a dark place that was. I went for the sandstone which is lighter and brighter. They are posted a couple pages back by Tjalle.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some of these new castle / keeps are very well done.

I just wish the Devs would just allow us to have customizable lots up to 32x32 .

Hopefully at least one of the winners will have a design I can work with to make it look the way I would like it to.

uokings7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I've been gone from the game for a while (I think since 2015ish) and notice many people talking about craftables. Is it more appealing to cut out rooms inside for custom placement of craftables? If so, I'll happily redesign and check into them craftables myself

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some of these new castle / keeps are very well done.

I just wish the Devs would just allow us to have customizable lots up to 32x32 .

Hopefully at least one of the winners will have a design I can work with to make it look the way I would like it to.
Hopefully then one of my designs appeals and wins as I wanted to leave them so you could do just that. Put your own stamp on them... at least the ones I made more in the traditional style to go with the new tiles we can make.

My latest one though you can't do that.

I working to recreate the one that was posted which was in that contest from before... it's gonna take me a bit but I should have it finished today.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@MalagAste we seem to have similar taste..... this post is from 2011, but I think Kurgan's contest was '06(?) - been a long time

and I would have tried to replicate it on test, but like someone above posted, ran around for quite a while and found no castle spot open
Ok I have done my best to replicate what you did... I hope you approve as I did have to take a few liberties as there are many things you did that I can't do given the limitations and we now have a whole other floor available. Here goes:
For Voting #210 owned by Edgar Long

Attachments

Last edited:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok I have done my best to replicate what you did... I hope you approve as I did have to take a few liberties as there are many things you did that I can't do given the limitations and we now have a whole other floor available. Here goes:
Mal, I gotta be honest with ya here, I was a bit miffed when I read you were going to try my design. However! Great job considering the tools you've got there and I like the connecting walks on the towers. This absolutely gets my stamp.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uno mas... wrought iron gates for entry. :( So hard for me at least to get into. Many cover them up some. Even worse. Please try a solid door. ty

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mal, I gotta be honest with ya here, I was a bit miffed when I read you were going to try my design. However! Great job considering the tools you've got there and I like the connecting walks on the towers. This absolutely gets my stamp.
Well I hope I did you right I even put your name on the name of it as the submission... "Devils Own Redesign by MalagAste"... I wanted you to get credit. Honestly I liked your design... not horribly boxy or full of wasted space. You seemed to not want to do it and I thought you said if someone wanted to give it a go do it... so I did. Though to be honest I'd also be ok with just handing you the keys so to speak... I've already done at least 4 Castles and a Keep.

I think that's all I'm gonna do as I work the weekend and just don't really have time to work on something else probably before the contest ends. But I'm glad you like it I was worried.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uno mas... wrought iron gates for entry. :( So hard for me at least to get into. Many cover them up some. Even worse. Please try a solid door. ty

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nice but I don't like all those little rooms...we already have little rooms...we need SPACE!!!!

Great job though Mal, looks awesome!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bare with me.. i don't play enhanced client for the zoomed out pics

Attachments

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm crashing about every three minutes or so trying to work on this... :(

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is one of my favourites so far on here. I love good design and architecture but also don't want something that doesn't take advantage of all the extra space you have to work with now.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm crashing about every three minutes or so trying to work on this... :(
If you can, try to stay within the "18x18" area of the signpost, the tool has a had time if you are stood too far N or E outside of its normal area.
Doesn't always work but I did notice I crashed a lot less when I started doing this.