• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 101 Comes to TC1

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm sure lots of people went to a lot of trouble to draw their entries, I saw a few that looked fantastic, well drawn and simple to reproduce! Not sure what the problem was, but we have heard that excuse of things being too complicated before.:(

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I really think they need to add a new skill interior design or architect people could design these beautiful homes then create deeds that others can buy ...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll try to post some screenies of what I've done so far sometime soon.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's one view of mine (I have to redo some of the windows)
upload_2018-8-11_18-25-56.png
I added the craftable small walls to the two front towers and I'm not sure they will be allowed. If I find out that they are I will do the same thing for all the roof tops. I can go into Customize mode and they still appear when I commit so I'm Hopeful.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 85304
I added the craftable small walls to the two front towers and I'm not sure they will be allowed. If I find out that they are I will do the same thing for all the roof tops. I can go into Customize mode and they still appear when I commit so I'm Hopeful.
My personal preference would be grass instead of water. But it does look good. Do you have pictures of the interior, different levels?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
View attachment 85304
GOOD JOB but I don't think u can walk on water part. maybe better to use carpet if u cant so u can display stuff in /on water.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Castle.png
This is my entry, secret doors highlighted (got to have a few secret passages in a castle!), tried to keep the style consistent with a default home. The checkered area is for duels/jousting/entertainment. The muddied areas could be used as stables or dungeon type areas. Third floor room as either a bedroom or vault.

Delores D

Journeyman
I made a castle and keep on test. The hard part was finding a place to place. The castle would not go where my castle is now. I used EC to place then back to cc to design. One is located in Tram east of Skara. The other is in Malas south of Luna between the brigand camp and the stables. I planned inside parts for crafting and loads of open areas. I am not good with posting screen shots. Sorry

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
View attachment 85323
This is my entry, secret doors highlighted (got to have a few secret passages in a castle!), tried to keep the style consistent with a default home. The checkered area is for duels/jousting/entertainment. The muddied areas could be used as stables or dungeon type areas. Third floor room as either a bedroom or vault.
Nice castle. I like the design and layout.

One thing I noticed in a lot of homes, they have the checkerboard pattern and people should rethink those design idea to have a more broad appeal. A solid color floor that people can checker themselves with granite. I found alot of the checkerboard floors in designs I otherwise liked, and those floors ended up being visually disturbing to my brain. It also limits what a player can do with those areas.

This is just a thought to players in general doing the flooring.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I missed this, but why can't we have plots on prodo shards? And Spring, I am looking for you on TC.

If they try to stop box houses what if those win? Then what?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I missed this, but why can't we have plots on prodo shards? And Spring, I am looking for you on TC.

If they try to stop box houses what if those win? Then what?
They wont win, All designs have to pass thru the devs QA check before they put them up for voting.
So if somebody designs a borg box.....it's a wasted design. ;)

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They wont win, All designs have to pass thru the devs QA check before they put them up for voting.
So if somebody designs a borg box.....it's a wasted design. ;)
Unless the only submissions are empty plots... Someone's empty plot has to win!

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay Phoenix man if they have the dreaded box house issue covered then why can't we have plots? Create our own designs on our home shards, then they can make some contest thing from that.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I made a castle and keep on test. The hard part was finding a place to place. The castle would not go where my castle is now. I used EC to place then back to cc to design. One is located in Tram east of Skara. The other is in Malas south of Luna between the brigand camp and the stables. I planned inside parts for crafting and loads of open areas. I am not good with posting screen shots. Sorry
I got you, D. ;)
Pics are in EC for the zooming.

Keep:

Sara Keep Contest 01.png Sara Keep Contest 02.png Sara Keep Contest 03.png
Sara Keep Contest 04.png

Castle:

Sara Castle Contest 01.png Sara Castle Contest 02.png Sara Castle Contest 03.png Sara Castle Contest 04.png

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because that would mean putting the "contest" code onto the live shards...which means nobody would be playing UO cos the servers would crash.
Ask anyone that's designing a castle, they will tell you how many times they crash. Mine was 22 to design my castle entry :)

Would also negate the point of a contest for 3 new "castles" designs too if everyone was designing them on their actual plot in the first place don't you think :p

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I wanted was a keep that worked. I built it. So vote for it please. The castle I built is ok.. Many great designs may be still hidden. The keep is named Trinsic Keep Est. 2018, located behind that skinny river south of the Trinsic Tram moongate In the area keeps are usually. Old keep next to it for comparison. Do we get to vote for 3 keeps and 3 castles?

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This design is not yet submitted - might be i do a few changes more - and we still have time to submit. The cannons are just placed to watch for the place needed in having a responsible walk around ;)

The house is open to the public if someone like to have a preview :)

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A lot of folks putting good effort into these. A few of the ones I liked the best were very simple though, big floor plans with no doors / barriers. I hate having to stop and open doors three times to go from one side to the other. I would ask that at least some entries be generic enough to take advantage of the large space without limiting folks in the way current castles.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should choose 5 styles from each category.

Or just allow them to be custom on reg shards.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
pretty much, but once on prod you can fix it..

id actually love to put deco in "full pull" mode to see how good i can "grow in" / cover up the old fortress remains now basement and cover all the grass with plants and things, but that would take some much time. then seeing it getting wiped would piss me off massively....

what i also dont like is that you cannot place anything on their damn water... covering up the northern "sharp" line is painfull. normally i use blue carpet as i can put things on...
Hey Finley, I really like that look! Great job!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wasn't there a house building program that was used in a contest several years ago? somewhere around 2003 to 2005-ish... I can't seem to find it.

If they're only taking submissions for pre-fab keeps & Castles, why didn't they just create a new tool or update the old one, so that people didn't have to compete for Land on test shard?

Unless they plan on opening up Malas for keeps & castle placement on live shards, Perhaps they wanted to test the lag/other issues with that, if not... what was the point?

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was told that there are many awesome designs still hidden. Maybe. Or many cute ones with all kinds of tiny areas. I get so carried away when I see the clever ones until I snap that I cannot use them. I do not think that once this is over I will change my poor tired paver infested castle for any new ones, even the one I built. Maybe I will be surprised with an awesome classic style usable castle!!! The keep, oh yea in a heartbeat. It has to change. I built what I wanted exactly.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Can people posting their designs here please post them as they would appear in customisation without additional decoration? It's hard to make comparisons between decorated and un-decorated designs otherwise.I just want to see how they look when first placed, not after 3 days and nights of struggling with the deco tool.... :p

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Playing devils advocate here but I see a problem with voting..
Say I was in a guild of 50 people (quite doable on Atlantic).....I get them all to vote for my castle even though there are far better ones,
My castle win and gets published.....

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fear that too Phoenix man. It almost happened on Atlantic with the 2014 Holiday contest. What can we do, this cannot be a big old surprise to devs who have been with UO for many moons. I know we can try again at the next publish. How many will? Maybe the ranking matters in this. Scary times for sure. Ha! Well for me. I have meet so many neat players on TC that I never would have and have gone to Fel to see homes. That part is good.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wasn't there a house building program that was used in a contest several years ago? somewhere around 2003 to 2005-ish... I can't seem to find it.

... <snip> ...
Yup, there was ... something like UOBuilder I think. There is one out there but made for usage on FS, so I won't mention it. PM me if you want the name. Google is your friend. :D

Last edited:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, there was ... something like UOBuilder I think. There is one out there but made for usage on FS, so I won't mention it. PM me if you want the name.
was Kurgan's House Builder, doesn't work anymore, unless you can figure out how to make the program read the files now

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a rock in my castle north yard and a rock in my keep east yard. Does this mean I will never be able to place a new design? I have found with placing custom plots we already have a rock inside the foundation does not block placement . Rocks on the edge of foundation block placement. Why won't the new foundations work this way? Can they?

You could have told us this days ago, months. Is there no hope?

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Phoenix Man Where is this post? I looked there and cannot find it. Bleak never talks here anymore I think.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
The new foundations, at least on test works as foundations do now. Rocks inside dont block so in reality it can be easier to place a new keep/ castle since you dont have all the walls blocking inside.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They already said the same thing long ago, unless they manually got a GM to go remove all blocking items it can never be any different. Some people are lucky and have no blocking items, but then I guess if it wasn't for the current design a lot of people wouldn't have had castles at all.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bleak said trees rocks etc in courtyards (grassy areas, 4 on castle, 3 on keep) will stop new foundation placement. The green part only. So what is the etc. part? Mushrooms? Flowers? Will they block? Castles and keep with no obstacles will cost more after this. I sure would like something on the existing signs that say NOPE 2 bad for you, rock, flower, mushroom, are hidden by stairs you cannot see even with circle on. And they said trees cannot be removed, not rocks.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Maybe they will take pity on people who have trees and other blocking objects in their courtyards and manually remove them...I think maybe GM's can do that? Chernabog will be very busy! ;)

Have people been able to place the new foundations in places where there are objects that would block? Trinsic Swamps, Brit Crossroads....Dagger Isle...mine is there but thankfully I am on flat ground...I THINK! :/ I hope so anyway....

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If red mushrooms, scattered flowers and ofluer flowers block placement then 6 of my 8 houses are useless for new designs. 5 keeps , one castle, two shards. I am, well was a keep fanatic & kept them for the new designs. Maybe Bleak will say exactly what etc . means. @Larisa you have some good ideas. Ty. I saw this on that other place where Bleak talks. On TC we tried to place a castle plot on that Trinny Jungle strip. The castle that fits there does have a tree in the south courtyard and no plot would place there. A normal castle would.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Doubt they will go about removing things for people .... I'm not sure if any of mine have blocking objects... I can't remember. Hope the keep doesn't as that's the one I REALLY want to update.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The question is how are they going to let you know on Live shard that your castle won't customise before it dumps everything into the moving crate??
Only then to tell you that you cannot place.....but no moving crate either back with the old style Castle...…

Is it just me that's seeing this idea going south real quick??

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The question is how are they going to let you know on Live shard that your castle won't customise before it dumps everything into the moving crate??
Only then to tell you that you cannot place.....but no moving crate either back with the old style Castle...…

Is it just me that's seeing this idea going south real quick??
Yep...that's why I said what I said on the other forums....they have 2 choices really at this point...since we know they don't have the time or resources to manually remove all blocking objects.

1. Cancel the contest because it is a total waste of time
  2. Let us have the castle/keep sized plots on prodo and be done with it.
BUT...they will go for the more obvious 3rd choice...

Leave it like it is and piss a lot of people off :)

At least a lot of you are having fun designing castles/keeps and I am enjoying the pictures very much! So many talented creative people here I love it!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's getting to the point where my paranoia is telling me they are doing this stuff in-game "just" to annoy me personally.... :stretcher:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have tried to keep my design simple, practical, and functional. I worked pretty hard at keeping it somewhat traditional as well. But this is my Design, I hope you all like it... I have worked to purposely allow someone to "put their mark on it"... leaving much of it open for people to "finish" as they see fit adding doors, arches or even walls or more importantly adding tiles as they see fit. I am open as well to suggestions, feedback and ideas are always welcome. But I want the design to remain simple. I marked with red the location of some "hidden" doors. I tried to keep it so it can be added to adding in some area's to easily access the floor over the courtyard if someone wanted to add goza mats or floor tiles to fill that area in. Also left things fairly open and simple so people could finish it off as they saw fit kinda putting their own "stamp" on it if you will or it functions and works as is. There is room enough for about anything anyone wanted to place in many of the areas including the new pond in any size, fountains, statues, banners whatever. Hope you like it. And Yes I have to agree and say sadly I too believe the vote will be more of a popularity contest than an actual "design" contest. But I really am hoping people consider this is for everyone... This is our one shot opportunity to really fix what's wrong with Castles and Keeps and that what is chosen one would hope will be able to be enjoyed and useful, practical and functional no matter where it's placed.

For Voting this one is #68 Owned by Newcastle Arms page 7.

Attachments

Last edited: