• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 101 Comes to TC1

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm crashing about every three minutes or so trying to work on this... :(
If you can, try to stay within the "18x18" area of the signpost, the tool has a had time if you are stood too far N or E outside of its normal area.
Doesn't always work but I did notice I crashed a lot less when I started doing this.
Thanks, I'll try that. :)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The ladders aren't part of the customization menu though are they? So that wouldn't work for the contest :( sad cus the ladders look really cool like that.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is an idea. Keep contest and list the 6 winners in the house menu along with the classic choices. Let the the non winners have a plot on their home shard if they want to covert their castle or keep to one. And build their own. Please.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They dont gove us much time to do it. My 18x18 toke me 5 months to finish. Just give us the plot and lets us do it how we want it done.

If there worries are on big cubes its to late for that people make them now with there castles if they wanted to.

Let me just custem my castle and be done with it.

If i can finish mine and its picked i would use it. If i have to pick someone else i wont and i will just live qith my non custem castle likeni have for the past 4 years.

No matter what there no winners we will see old and new castles there still be all the same nothing diffent but the deco of it.

Thats is my 2 cents anyway.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh yes... *sighs happy* it's just fun to play the game in the moment....

finally I had the time to realize what I have had a long time in mind but never feel like realizing it of more serious private reasons. Unfortunate I could do it only on the smaller keep plot - normally this belongs the castle plot - but I'm definitive to silly to place this in the Malas desert area ;)

This might be probably the only Borg-Cube I would feeling good with. This is a try to rebuild the famous palace of Knossos, Crete - Greek, but because of the smaller plot I have to extemporize a bit ;) - but look yourself ;)

Attachments

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just loving all these designs. Question - do we get just one vote per account? can't remember

and for all those griping about trees currently in their courtyards, hopefully one of the many designs with open areas will win and work for you

what would be great is if we got a little wiggle room when replacing designs...... wouldn't work for those with houses smack up against them, but for a lot of folks it would

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The new designs will have a foundation, according to Kyronix, so even if the design had open spaces there would still be a foundation under it. So people with trees etc. won't be able to replace their current castle with a new design.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just loving all these designs. Question - do we get just one vote per account? can't remember

and for all those griping about trees currently in their courtyards, hopefully one of the many designs with open areas will win and work for you

what would be great is if we got a little wiggle room when replacing designs...... wouldn't work for those with houses smack up against them, but for a lot of folks it would
There are no designs with open areas, ALL new castles will come with a base like the rest of custom houses....

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have a tree in your courtyard then you can't upgrade at all, even if the winning design has "grass" or is "open" in that area. The new castles and keeps are Solid Plots just like the 18x18... I have 3 such castles on Legends so no new designs for me :(

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's a shame we waited so long for this tool, the contest started last year but drawings are apparently too confusing. All this time passed and now many people can't use the new designs anyway. I just don't understand how they could not realise there were items in courtyards.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Every design on this page of this thread I would vote for instantly IF the doors were removed. Stop the tyranny of doors, I beg you! No interior doors, no external doors! Please, in the name of Lord British, chop up all these doors!!!!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would cost a fortune in firewood to heat a Castle with no doors on it, not to mention how would you defend it when the bad guys could just walk in...…...oh right.. ;)

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is castle in this thread that only has exterior doors. Don't see you door haters even giving it a like. So, install those doors people.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has anyone thought of the stairs on the front. Right now we are 4 but the new ones would have more. I think my castle would not be able to be placed becasue of the tile rule. Becasue the house in front on the one side is close i think only 4 tiles but where my stairs are now its its.

One big thing is the dang moveing box. Would have yonclear out the castle beacasue eveytime i open one my game crashes. I have stuff in 18x18 for 6 years that i cant get becasue the game drops to dashboard eveytime i open it. Just only thought of it as a hidden gift to some idocer if i failed to pay or died irl

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If we just get the ability for lighter walls, a better Grande Staircase and a side yard I will be happy for whoever wins!

** There are also teleporters in my design- but im asking for grande staircases to be added to house design tools

Attachments

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here is my castle design, inspired by cloister architecture.

Only one door on the bottom floor, front tiered patios to break up the design and can be used for gardens, mannequins, auction safes or whatever people to display. No second floor doors for quick entry, they can easily be blocked from behind by 6 stone granite walls for public felucca designs without ruining the aesthetic . (Teleporter tile on the roof is missing from this photo, but it's here)

Second floor is a largely open floor plan. Narrow side rooms (i personally was thinking mannequins, garden beds, fountains of life, display cases, etc)

Second floor has two patios out front and two in the back, smaller back room for things like teleporter hubs, mannequins, display cases, chests, etc. two smaller side rooms and one great room. (not sold on the floor tile with the design for the front porch)

Third floor consists of two narrow L shaped patios in the front for things like vendors, mannequins, auction safes, gardens or just display areas. a larger patio in front, two smaller L shape patios in the back, another in the back and a Cloister inspired middle area for gardens or whatever else one can imagine. Not sold on the arches in the east room, might still make that a solid wall.

If you want to explore this design on test center, it's located out of the north vesper bridge in trammel on the road to minoc.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I had in the past argued against allowing people customize full castle plots.

I take it back. Let everyone customize. The craftable walls aren't versatile enough to fully adapt an open floor plan satisfactorily, and there are clearly a lot of different ideas about optimizing a castle footprint space. Ongoing contests that only benefit a very small percentage of the player base is a very poor use of dev time. This contest has been a mess since day one. Voting will be a popularity contest and/or manipulated by players. Just KISS the thing and let everyone customize.

If we end up with a few crystal Borg cubes, it's hardly more of an eyesore than lot of other stuff out right now.

There are some great designs in this thread. I would have a hard time choosing.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
made some slight adjustment...

now i have ladders in the small tower because i dont think they would get that with the ladders...

i have added some small piles at the entrance..
UOSA_2018-08-18_21-22-27.png

honestly i still think they should us give us plots. all the alk with "the server will crash" or "it makes too much lag" is complete bollocks, the only thing what is making lag here is 18*18 and keeps and castles full of granite crap.
from where i know that? from my DF castle where i used several thousand (no joke) it was a lag hell which gives you client crashes all day long.

btw i had never an crash in the custom mode on castle plot. however i have to say working is more smooth in CC than EC.

also i have an idea for the people who have trees, they simply can sell token for 10 bucks which u need to use withing 3 tiles around the object which then records the coordinates and put them on a list for a GM/DEV who is cutting down those bastards..
alternatively sell those token too in the banks for 100m

gold sink for the rich, bucky for the others.

then simply let one dude work off the list. easy money...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd strongly advise against submitting designs which will require Ladders to complete the design.
Remember this has to be a "ready to go" design and not one where you will be required to find a seller of a Ladder token just to be able to visit the next floor of your new house.
All houses go thru the Devs QA and any they deem not complete or not a full design, they will just not enter into the voting round.
Would be a shame to see some of these designs not get thru just because of missing ladders. :)

Edit: at the very least, throw in a few teleport tiles and leave gaps for the ladders, the tiles can always be covered up later on.

Last edited:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd strongly advise against submitting designs which will require Ladders to complete the design.
Remember this has to be a "ready to go" design and not one where you will be required to find a seller of a Ladder token just to be able to visit the next floor of your new house.
All houses go thru the Devs QA and any they deem not complete or not a full design, they will just not enter into the voting round.
Would be a shame to see some of these designs not get thru just because of missing ladders. :)

Edit: at the very least, throw in a few teleport tiles and leave gaps for the ladders, the tiles can always be covered up later on.
i hate teleporters as much as anything cubish or without doors :D
i always do stairs or ladders.

iam sure there are house builders who like to make granite neon stuff, iam not one of those. if you want a house that blends in with the surrounding iam your guy. iam happy to show you some stuff i made if you like

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is though that the design that's entered is that, which was when you hit commit on the tool to come out of customising.
That's the house that the Devs will see, and if there is no way to reach the floor above, it won't get entered.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is my castle design, inspired by cloister architecture.

Only one door on the bottom floor, front tiered patios to break up the design and can be used for gardens, mannequins, auction safes or whatever people to display. No second floor doors for quick entry, they can easily be blocked by 6 stone granite walls for public felucca designs. (Teleporter tile on the roof is missing from this photo, but it's here)

Second floor is a largely open floor plan. Narrow side rooms (i personally was thinking mannequins, garden beds, fountains of life, display cases, etc)

Second floor has two patios out front and two in the back, smaller back room for things like teleporter hubs, mannequins, display cases, chests, etc. two smaller side rooms and one great room. (not sold on the floor tile with the design for the front porch)

Third floor consists of two narrow L shaped patios in the front for things like vendors, mannequins, auction safes, gardens or just display areas. a larger patio in front, two smaller L shape patios in the back, another in the back and a Cloister inspired middle area for gardens or whatever else one can imagine. Not sold on the arches in the east room, might still make that a solid wall.

If you want to explore this design on test center, it's located out of the north vesper bridge in trammel on the road to minoc.
:thumbsup:

uokings7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ladders aren't part of the customization menu though are they? So that wouldn't work for the contest :( sad cus the ladders look really cool like that.
I changed my ladders, to my dismay, but they are still there. I added teleporters underneath so you can get to each floor with or without the ladders. It's unfortunate because I really love the look with them. I think it's a bit unfair because other classic house styles have ladders in them and I consider them an important design element in a custom house. Oh well, i'll just have to risk it with the teleporters.

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
In my design I also have teleporters- along with the chopped stairs -but I agree with uokings- they have ladders in classic houses. I don't see an issue

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Every design on this page of this thread I would vote for instantly IF the doors were removed. Stop the tyranny of doors, I beg you! No interior doors, no external doors! Please, in the name of Lord British, chop up all these doors!!!!
Well. A house has doors. A property a gate. Not sure where you are from but if you don't want that get a 18x18 and build one of those pvp waterfall cubes.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The problem is though that the design that's entered is that, which was when you hit commit on the tool to come out of customising.
That's the house that the Devs will see, and if there is no way to reach the floor above, it won't get entered.
That's why I removed ladders and added stairs. It won't do good to the space of the small tower but it could be worse

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The more design solutions I see the more I think of its 20years late. I can imagine great guilds with many members having a huge castle for headquarters, but these days players living solo dont really need that huge space. For storage yes, nothing is enough, but for the actual space its too much. Either the design has huge open rooms or it has a thousand small rooms, and often doors in both ways like living in a hallway. Seems to me a 18x18 is enough plot, a keep or a castle would be too much. Unless you cuztomize the castle plot as a small player town with different houses, like a RP town village.

As for the masonary to add tiles and walls ontop of a already cuztomized house, Ive never been fan of it, a castle is so big anyway that adding deco and masonary walls is way to lagged.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Chap. here is the deal for me. I love huge rooms. I do not need storage, not a pack rat. I like to deco and raise plants. So this is, or might be, awesome for me and my home shard castle & keep. Might. Are you the same Chap that liked the huge room castle on this page by Jelly Bean? Just curious. However this ends it has been fun.

uokings7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey folks just wanted to post an update on the latest info about using house addons. It is okay to use house addons, it won't disqualify your house. However, if you're using ladders like I am, they won't go into the final design if your house wins. Your best bet is to make sure you have back up options. If you're using fountains, make sure it looks nice with our without them. If you're using ladders, make sure you have a secondary way to travel between floors. Don't base your floors on the way your rugs look etc. Not only do the votes other players make count but the devs will also have to approve it so double check everything if you're using addons! :)