• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Factions Testing Commencement

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The points seem to need tweaking by the really really really really large numbers being posted. I guess according to the description that points are nowhere near kill points in significance and they are supposed to be a representation of quality of participation over time.
Basically has anybody fought and compared numbers and see how the points stacked?

I'm glad to see healers getting some love.
I got 3000 points for healing myself during a duel.. lol... Oh yeah.. and then my friend fireballed me for 2 minutes and I healed myself for 2 minutes... and I got 3000 points... That totally shows how actively I'm participating...

lolzz.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok here are my thoughts on what I've read so far.

If you are going to delete faction arties you are going to make me stop playing all together.

I play across 7 shards now.

When Imbuing came out I took my 12 characters between my 2 accounts and equipped them with faction arifacts and imbued armor and shipped the characters out to multiple shards.

when you take the crystalline and remove the 3 FCR, that means I need to put the inquis back in my suit. That screws up all of my imbued armor.

Do you know how much money I spent on transfer tokens? I'm expected to rebuild the suits on my main shard and pay mroe money for transfers?

i put a lot of time and effort into what I did. I realized my life style was changing and I couldn't play alot. So I set my accounts up so that I could log in on any given day and have 7 shards with 2 accounts to play.

If you make the changes that I read about so far I will just stop playing all together because I don't have the time or patience to completely re-suit 12 characters across 7 shards.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The new bases are begging to be exploited using z-axis tricks. They are also so large that you could never hope to catch someone who is stealthing around. I already spot one way to get a non-faction character inside.

They are not even design like a stronghold should be. Who builds a castle with a million inter-connecting rooms and entrances? You have no chance of controlling a fight. There needs to be choke points.

Every base already has a fundamental design flaw: overhang on the main entrance. Attackers won't be able to see anyone inside to target.
choke points?

like there is now?

where 1 mage being run by a program can field off the entire base with stack fields and you can never get in?

i dont agree.

there are pro's and con's to every base.
but when one toon can crank up a old comp and stack 8 e fields on one tile and 'not be totally there' so that he and others can run around outside and kill without having to worry about theives.

ya that just dosnt sit right with me.

dont get me wrong.
i like to seal up the base.
but one or 2 tile entrances got old about 8 years ago.

they should make any area that necks down to one or 2 tiles that has a possability of being mage fielded off have over hangs where opposing people can crack off shots on the fielders.

just my .02

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have to agree with Tinkz, and Cardell to about the bases.
I have to ask who let the trammys in to decorate the bases? seriously places to sit in a faction base are we to sit around and drink tea waiting to be raided. these bases should be in trammel not in felucca.

The bases are to big, and actually I can not find my way out. I had to make chars to visit every base cuz I couldn't recall out.

Crusaders of Virtue (minax)
Free Tradesmen (council of mages)
Guardian's Legion (True Britannians)
You can check this out by looking on the stones in the bases under vote for leadership.

I seriously hope these are not going to be the new names of each factions, and we will have better names since we will be losing the old factions names.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More Problems...

1. You can still log in and out at enemy bases... The bases are so big.. you can literally log an army in and out in an enemies base... I really just cant stress the damage this does to any defense.. especially in bases of this size..
2. You still cant exercise enemy ghosts out of your base.
3. I can't place traps in my own base.. It says I can only place them in my own base... So.. thats ****ed up..
4. You can cast through the floors at a couple areas of each base...
5. Minax base is still ugly as sin and laggy as hell.
6. The size of the bases are so damn big.. its so easy to cut corners to get away from mages and archers.. which is all good.. But the speed of the game makes it pretty much impossible to actually stop anyone from simply running in and running out unless you have like 5 ppl fielding non stop..
7. Leaderboards aren't working correctly. The guy who has been running sigs all day isn't up on the boards...
8. Animals and Mobs spawn inside the paths to the base. Thats just annoying and adds to the already laggy area.. btw.. most of those useless animal and npc spawns (like in brit castle) should have been removed a long time ago..
9. Did you even change the saw and spike traps? Maybe they should be tweaked/changed some how. (notice i said TWEAKED)
10. Stat loss needs to be longer.. if its short because its test than thats all good. But if its anything lower than 15 - 20 minutes its way to short.

more coming..

#edit#
11. Opposing faction banks (the idea is horrible to begin with) but a player definitely shouldn't be able to use another enemies bank.. Like... seriously wtf..

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crusaders of Virtue base problems

1. The upper sigil posts are in a laughable set up.. How do you expect people to defend that?
2. The teleporters are ****ed up. The teleporters on the upper levels block other factions from running over the tile beneath it.. on the floor below.
3. You can cast through the floor in like 7 places, that I have encounters so far..
4. Too much decorations.. its beyond laggy here. God bless ppl with ****ty computers.
5. The obvious.. base is way to big.. If someone gets in, they will get a sig.. no doubt.. they can run around long enough to reset it easily. Chasing ninja stealthers down will be impossible with out at least 2 or 3 detectors per stealther.. Thats just wrong..
6. Soulforge prevents ppl front running over the titles on the floor above it.
Are you (the devs) not telling us everything. Are these bases supposed to be more along the lines as Faction cities? Like.. is this where we will be putting our guards? and vendors? I just feel like there has to be something you are leaving out..

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GL Base Problems

1. The carpets... so.. its pretty easy to defend enemies from coming down the carpets.. if you stand under them.. they can't go down... Easy Win huh... Oh yeah, they are slow, and completely annoying.. And in horrible spots.
2. The downstairs layout is laughable. Anyone who seriously tried to defend that would get field-****ed by 2 mages... EASILY... Now.. as I recall.. everyone was complaining about the porchelus/gate at TB base.. so what do the devs do? They implement 6 of them (in another form) in another base... wtf?
3. Can cast through the ground at at least 3 locations.
4. It's laggy as hell, way to much decorations.
5. Wont let me place poison traps in my own base..
6. Can access bank through the floor.
7. Can still summon through the floor (i assume this can happen in all bases)

Why are all the walls different colors? That **** looks terrible. Why are all the tiles different colors every room. WTF.. stick with one type plz..

H

Hugibear

Lower the cost of faction arties on siege.

I am also a bit worried about the point scoring system on siege. Getting points for stealthing, Siege doesnt have passive detect. I believe if you are going to impliment this you might want to think about putting passive detect on siege. Siege is the "hard shard" and having an easy button (smoke bombs) to avoid anything and everything isnt right.

R

Rumpelstiltskin

this might be a stupid idea but, how about you just make the bases dungeon's

and when someone is killed in the base they are booted for 20 min's

L

Lord Strahd

From what little ive tested....

We have shiny new bases (that are actualy quite nice looking)

We have new factions (that seem very generic and not as cool as before)

We have a new point system (where is the stat for who got the killing blow?)

We have ??? I guess thats it.

How about no stat loss, or some items that are unique to faction (not slightly beefed replicas of lame pve gear), or no stupid pve grind to go with the pvp to buy said items, or maybe some buyable keep upgrades, or a revamp on lame town corruption timers (whats fun about babsitting for hours?)

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Factions on chessy are deader than a door nail and if whats present on test faction was live then chessy will remain dead exactly after the new wears off.

I hope the post doesnt come off as prickish, just being frank and letting you developers out there know how I feel, and that I think things need some drastic changes before they will be right.

This should be the developers mission statement for factions.

WE WANT TO GIVE FACTIONS A GOOD STORY THATS FUN TO PARTICIPATE IN AND HAS WORTH WHILE REWARDS AND LETS THE PLAYERS AFFECT THE WORLD IN A MEANINGFUL WAY.

A

A Rev

My brief time running around on faction server.

Most of it was taken up making mr2 armour with spined and weapons.

Anyways, Bases are WAY to big and WAY too laggy!!

I can see a possible development making the bases more of towns, i liked the idea of customizing bases...but there too big and laggy.

Make the bases have customizable traps and defences maybe.

Make the towns more significant, town fighting was fun...guards need to be removed. You MUST be able to heal faction mates who are red.

Haven't had much experience with the points system.

Banks in the bases...good idea, i actually like the idea of being able to re-stock in a fight. Yes it gives the defenders an edge...but isnt that always the way, Sieges throughout history where often lost by an attacker by not bringing enough resources and the defenders being able to starve the raiders.

S

Some dude playing UO

because her points are not valid, without faction arties, there is no incentive to even do factions.

why would they remove them?

we are trying to take steps forward not back
Sorry, but sometimes going forward means correcting mistakes.

I left Siege cause i didnt wanted to be forced into faction and endless silver farming. In Siege and Mugen, the factions arties are a nightmare to us none-faction players. THEY NEED TO BE REMOVED, PERIOD!

V

Vega13

Ok mythic devs haha where do we start...
first off were yall high when yall came up with the new faction system and the faction bases omg horable they don't even look like strongholds more like huge open arenas if yall have not noticed the Uo population is way down since factions was implemented when we used to have massive fights those days r done i say move on drop factions get rid of it entirely and bring back order chaos anyone remember that? ya it was fun 2 sides very simple no strongholds no sigils no super armor and no stat just plain ol pvp trust me it was fun..
you so called devs probably weren't even around when order chaos was, hell i bet yall didn't even know there used to b npc children in the game when it launched

S

Splup

2. Point system. Again we ask for a simple system that works and reward everyone 1000s of points for stupid ****. I've been in factions for 10 minutes and have 14000 points after 2 kills. COOL! Lets see how big that number is in 1 months... or 2 months.. or 3... well with these changes the factions wont last that long.. so don't even bothering thinking up a number that big. Points for healing...? really.. that wont be exploitable.... points for stealthing!?!??!?!?!?! wtf.... NO ONE will be able to exploit that... points for watching fights? Like seriously... wtf would you reward someone for healing.. if they don't heal they cannot win, healing is its own reward... It's a discipline people need to learn to be good... giving points for this is just so god damn ******** its not even funny. Same with stealthing... are you really going to reward people to having an annoying skill on their template that, again, is its own reward. It allows them to get the jump on people and save their ass from dying... Why do they need to be given points.

6. Get rid of points for healing, points for stealthing, and INTE. If you want to keep track of the stats for those.. COOL.. what ever.. just don't give people points they aren't earning. That **** is so exploitable its not even funny..
Totally agreed. Giving points for stealthing sounds extremely stupid. You give points for AVOIDING the fight? Seriously... This NEEDS to go.

And crosshealing is something a group must do to be great, no need to give extra rewards for it. Especially cause it's so easily exploited.

S

Splup

Ok mythic devs haha where do we start...
first off were yall high when yall came up with the new faction system and the faction bases omg horable they don't even look like strongholds more like huge open arenas if yall have not noticed the Uo population is way down since factions was implemented when we used to have massive fights those days r done i say move on drop factions get rid of it entirely and bring back order chaos anyone remember that? ya it was fun 2 sides very simple no strongholds no sigils no super armor and no stat just plain ol pvp trust me it was fun..
you so called devs probably weren't even around when order chaos was, hell i bet yall didn't even know there used to b npc children in the game when it launched
I gotta say I enjoy factions more then I did O/C, because of statloss. It feels somehow pointless fighting ppl who are not factioned cause they just rez up and are back in 3 mins.

Ofc it's more action but at the same time it lacks the flavor.

J

Johnny English

I dont know what you guys were thinking when you came up with this point system, not sure i want to know, its so easily exploitable its not even funny.
Also i see people saying there should be more rewards for theifs and i just assume that everyone has forgotten that when a theif returns the sigil to its respective town pedastal they recieve 10 kill points and 100 silver for capturing the town?

The current points system we have now is fine, it just needs to be fixed. im sure no one asked for a whole new system, just for you to repair the old one.

The factions we have now played a major part in the history of UO, so dont change the names. We like the names.

In short - Fix the old system, Trash this new one...

A couple of good changes would be to move the council of mages stronghold to a differant location and remove magincia from the system, maybe add jhelom as a capturable town in its place, dont think when you guys destroyed magincia ya really thought about the effects it would have on factions.

ProZac

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Holy crap. Talk about dropping the ball. This is a perfect example to how out of touch the current UO staff is with their game. There have been countless suggestions and great ideas for factions for years on the forums, and it looks like they listened to pretty much none of them. Devs, these are people that PLAY and KNOW the game. Start listening and going off of actual good ideas instead of trying to stir up a completely new system that will not work in this game. While I was reading the new point system I came up with 10 different ways to completely abuse the system (and yes, 99% of UO people do the same ****).

The current faction system fits UO. If you simply put effort into tweaking, adding to it, and debugging it, it would become more popular. Attempting something like this will kill the system more than it already is and put another nail in the coffin. The things needed are simple and don't require you to spend too much effort into breaking everything even more. Quit abandoning systems that work/can work for your fresh hot garbage.

If you really want to spice up UO factions, put some actual work into the system. The cloned artifact system was the laziest crap I've ever seen thrown together. They copied the item names, hues, mods, threw a little extra on it, and used a stupid flagging system (owned by). Make unique artifacts for each faction, give them some sort of distinguishable presence so having rank means something again - tweak the point system with limitations and maybe value changes, but the system you are suggesting doesn't make sense on so many grounds.

Give purpose to owning towns. It used to mean we could make items in only those towns and other things that made them useful to have. Now it doesn't matter at all. Go ask your DAOC counterparts for ideas, the DAOC RVR relic system was completely awesome, throw some ideas like that into the faction system. Give factions a REASON to fight in bases and control land.

In summary, stop wasting time and effort on a completely f***ed system that will only lead to 5 more years of balancing before it doesn't suck. Fix the current system, spice it up, give it some flavor, balance it, give it a purpose, and focus on the things that encourage pvp in this game rather than the stuff that discourages it.

I hope they can actually pull something positive out of all of this, but due to most reactions I'd bet Phoenix here gets slammed by Cal and the project gets the axe.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The changes seem interesting but for me there is one huge problem.

I'm sure most will disagree with me but here it is:

I pay to play not to sit around and wait for stat loss to end.

Stat loss should be removed..

Until that happens I will not participate in factions. I tried it out for about a year when they first came out, but had enough with it for two reasons; guarding sigils and stat loss. At first it was mainly due to the boring guarding sigils which was finally addressed.

Also its not that I cant compete because I easily can. To me it jut comes down to how much time I have in a day to play, PERIOD. I refuse to have to waste 20 minutes waiting to get out of stat so I can play again.

I hope everyone enjoys factions, but I will not participate until the remove stat loss.

D

deraiky

Theres quiet a few places where the z-axis can be abused using an energy field and getting into the base not usng the main entrance..

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Holy crap. Talk about dropping the ball. This is a perfect example to how out of touch the current UO staff is with their game. There have been countless suggestions and great ideas for factions for years on the forums, and it looks like they listened to pretty much none of them. Devs, these are people that PLAY and KNOW the game. Start listening and going off of actual good ideas instead of trying to stir up a completely new system that will not work in this game. While I was reading the new point system I came up with 10 different ways to completely abuse the system (and yes, 99% of UO people do the same ****).

The current faction system fits UO. If you simply put effort into tweaking, adding to it, and debugging it, it would become more popular. Attempting something like this will kill the system more than it already is and put another nail in the coffin. The things needed are simple and don't require you to spend too much effort into breaking everything even more. Quit abandoning systems that work/can work for your fresh hot garbage.

If you really want to spice up UO factions, put some actual work into the system. The cloned artifact system was the laziest crap I've ever seen thrown together. They copied the item names, hues, mods, threw a little extra on it, and used a stupid flagging system (owned by). Make unique artifacts for each faction, give them some sort of distinguishable presence so having rank means something again - tweak the point system with limitations and maybe value changes, but the system you are suggesting doesn't make sense on so many grounds.

Give purpose to owning towns. It used to mean we could make items in only those towns and other things that made them useful to have. Now it doesn't matter at all. Go ask your DAOC counterparts for ideas, the DAOC RVR relic system was completely awesome, throw some ideas like that into the faction system. Give factions a REASON to fight in bases and control land.

In summary, stop wasting time and effort on a completely f***ed system that will only lead to 5 more years of balancing before it doesn't suck. Fix the current system, spice it up, give it some flavor, balance it, give it a purpose, and focus on the things that encourage pvp in this game rather than the stuff that discourages it.

I hope they can actually pull something positive out of all of this, but due to most reactions I'd bet Phoenix here gets slammed by Cal and the project gets the axe.
Agreed. a complete redo isn't really necessary. Fix some problems with bases, fix the current point system (i do like the menu that shows different statistics, think that is kind of cool) get guards out of towns, especially britain, and fix all the exploits and flaws in the system. Add a few things to spice it up, touch up the bases and add something new.

And for gods sake add a new reason for controlling the towns. even if its that factions monsters roaming all over the town, something, anything!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The changes seem interesting but for me there is one huge problem.

I'm sure most will disagree with me but here it is:

I pay to play not to sit around and wait for stat loss to end.

Stat loss should be removed..

Until that happens I will not participate in factions. I tried it out for about a year when they first came out, but had enough with it for two reasons; guarding sigils and stat loss. At first it was mainly due to the boring guarding sigils which was finally addressed.

Also its not that I cant compete because I easily can. To me it jut comes down to how much time I have in a day to play, PERIOD. I refuse to have to waste 20 minutes waiting to get out of stat so I can play again.

I hope everyone enjoys factions, but I will not participate until the remove stat loss.

Stat loss my be a reason alot of people don't want to play factions, myself included. it is just irritating to not be able to play at your normal ability if you die for 20minutes, if you are only going to be on for an hour. and if you die again while in stat because you decided to not go take a break, that timer is going to be reset.

I don't think it should be completely removed, but scaled way down with other perks. drop the timer to 10-15minutes. Make it so if the person who put you in stat dies, you get out of stat. Things like that.

I really miss the endless huge fights that used to happen, and with stat loss it just isn't possible. people don't want to fight outnumbered because they don't want the chance of dieing easily, if its a 8x8 fight and 2 members of one side dies, they all leave. it just sucks, stat kind of turns fighting into more of a waiting game, instead of just constant bloodshed.

Remember years ago when someone would pop a harrower, and you could sit there fighting for 6 hours? take that, and put everyone in factions. that fight just got really ****ty.

Plus if you take out or limit stat loss, more people will come to fel and play factions/pvp.

It will also stop making everyone a *****, so many people play stealthers or chars with ninja to animal form away when dismounted. Why? Because they don't want to go into stat loss. Some of the ***** tactics and running away would definitely be eliminated.

L

Lilith Vysage II

Who let the trammys try to remake pvp again?

why are the bases decorated like that? this isnt trammel we dont care about that it just creates lag
STOP TRYING TO TURN UO INTO WOW IF I WANTED TO PLAY WOW I WOULD GO BUY WOW - WOW SUCKS PVE ARE YOU SERIOUS?!
am I the only one who thinks the new score boards for factions looks suspeciously like the wow battle ground points system?

points for healing? benefits allready include staying alive :S
points for stealthing whats that all about? STEALTH SUCKS THERE IS NOTHING COOL ABOUT HIDING FROM A FIGHT!!
so whats gonna happen to our war horses?
incase you didnt realise the reason we join factions is because we like fel we dont want 3 new luna banks

the punkte system is designed for kills because thats what pvp is about whos the best killer it should stay that way dont think we spent time earning our punkte for you to change the system

factions play an important part in the history of uo and their origins go back to before ultima was even online now your just adding 3 new factions with terrible names without any story progression what so ever - keep the original names.

if you get rid of faction arties you not only made us waiste our time effort and silver/gold you also ruin most of our suits :/
the new faction arties allow fel players to build good suits that are more even and dont require huge amounts of gold or time spent in tram I HATE TRAM :(
prehaps you should need to control a town to purchase a faction artifact?
you cant just add in arties let us build suits around them and then whipe them a few months later seriously whats that about?
since silver is earned from killing it means that the best pvpers get the faction items which incourages the lesser pvpers to get better pvp has allways been about whos leet and whos not
mabey make the faction items craftable for faction crafters?

having a town gives little to no benefits and the amount of time it takes to corrupt sigils for these benefits is stupid
we need to be able to heal our red faction members within towns to make town fighting possible just remove guards from fel we dont need them anyway its all about the fights

move com's base or remake magincia - you did it to haven
add placeable guards to the new bases/faction monsters/guards that reveal/better traps if your intent on keeping the horrible looking new bases
the bases are way too big uo isnt like it used to be on some shards we dont have hundreds of players commited to fighting wars, the bases are too wide in areas you couldnt deffend that with a small army let alone the small handful of players still pvping on alot of shards
stat loss timer is essential but too long

M

Malador

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. Part of the reasons factions have become so prevalent is because people are compelled to join for the prohibitively powerful bonuses to faction items. They are NOT just replicas, they are vastly more powerful and instantly allow for a faction character to assemble a suit better than even the BEST farmable items. 3 MR on the Orny? Crystaline Ring with 3 fcr? Hit chance on the warrior talisman? The list goes on.

Are you going to remove these bonuses from the new items? Please god do it. Set the pvprs free.
It amazes me how many people are totally blind to the hugely over powering benefit of joining factions and using faction items.

The faction items should be just replicas. Then people who do not wish to spend time farming items or gold to buy the items can spend a much shorter time farming silver after joining a faction and buy the exact same item.

In short what I am saying is a faction orny should have the exact same mods as a non-faction orny. The trade off is they require subjecting yourself to statloss but are far easier to get.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What a fun thread! One thing though... Let's keep the criticism constructive shall we?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lag is probably being caused by the number of levels and decorations. If you are standing in the middle of the forest, you have one plain of tiles and trees.

In these bases you have 3x the number of floor planes plus hundreds of decorations. People with computers that are older are going to notice the difference. It is like running around in a player's Castle. This is before you start throwing in dozens of players casting animated field spells all over.

Very few locations in UO are decorated in this way. One of them is Luna, which people already complain about the lag there.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's keep the criticism constructive shall we?
We've been asking for the same **** for years. It's been so much we've sounded like a broken record. And then they come out with this. You can give me an infraction or ban me, I don't really care. But this whole thing blows. The only thing they got right was taking out the point transfer system.

That being said, want to buy an account? (For gold)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
We (Stratics) are not looking to ban any one. I am not interested in buying anyone out. I am interested in seeing a revival for factions that works.

Hey devs... May I ask if we are going to have test center up for a while, can we get a few days of a Siege version?

L

Lilith Vysage II

Let's keep the criticism constructive shall we?
i've been playing since T2A thats alot of money to be paying over alot of years to see them destroy the game time and time again they give us the opportunity to tell them to stop we're gonna take it

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've put in a request to be able to discuss some of the things laid out for players that were involved in the focus group that brought us faction items and changes to sigil timers. I am still awaiting a response.

However, I will ask all those of you who adamantly defend the old system. Why do you think most people were not playing with factions before the introduction of the faction items? What was the point? If that system was fun for you then thats one thing, but what were the attractors for introducing new blood?

As to a completely revamped point system.

Two clients later, and I have no idea how many threads on the topic, might it be possible that it is easier to go in and make a new system that relates as intended with other systems in the game, than dig through years of ancient code and try and de-bug and then recode old systems?

Have you people not got tired of exploits and broken systems yet?

You want it to work, right? You want someone to say "This is supposed to work this way", and have it actually work that way, yes? We are or have been on the decline for a good while now. We have recently had a little wave come through thanks to an expansion, but the bloom is wearing off the rose. Before we lose it altogether, a rethinking of a metasystem, like factions, is a good way to keep some of that and maybe entice players that remember the abundance of action to be had in Fel, and liked playing that way, back.

Will it be exactly the same, no. Can you ever "go back"? No.

We can however dream a little in the light of the current game and make changes that make factions a viable and fun system to play that is the epitome of the gaming experience we have to offer. We can make it so that it is accessible to relatively new players and encourage folks to come back and new generations of players to play. Lets not think too shallowly and create another system where the vets are "locked in" to the exclusion of everyone else. Down that path lies our inevitable demise.

I have a request for the devs.

Several months ago, trial accounts were locked out of fel. Might it be possible to allow for trial accts to have full access to all content on the factions test shard only? Or would that be creating a nightmare too large to combat effectively?

We might be able to con some old friends to come and play with us if that were possible.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If that system was fun for you then thats one thing, but what were the attractors for introducing new blood?
What is the attraction for the new system? Laggy bases and a skewed point system? Sure why not run for 20 minutes to finally hit another base. That's fun. It's also fun to rack up 5000 points for healing and stealth. Who doesn't want this?

You do realize the the majority of the new **** they've put out have been more exploitable than the previous system?

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If that system was fun for you then thats one thing, but what were the attractors for introducing new blood?
What is the attraction for the new system? Laggy bases and a skewed point system? Sure why not run for 20 minutes to finally hit another base. That's fun. It's also fun to rack up 5000 points for healing and stealth. Who doesn't want this?

You do realize the the majority of the new **** they've put out have been more exploitable than the previous system?
Dude, its on test, for a couple of months. I think they'd like us to help them make it "right". Bash all you want, or maybe you could pick up that screw driver over there and help make it better.

A

A Rev

So far i hear alot of negatives.

As i said i havent tested the points system and ill be honest, im not really interested in finding exploits to get into bases...ill leave that to you guys :)

I am worried about this point system, from the sounds of it it far too easily exploited.

Now, i wasn't adverse to the idea of allowing poeple who do damage getting points for a faction kill. So a mage who hits the person for 100+points only to have a dexxer hit with and AR ignore or DS to get the kill, the mage gets credit still.

But all this getting points for Stealthing?!? Healing?!?

Revealing...ok this i kinda liked, i liked the idea of revealing traps or thieves(so long as the traps where disarmed or thief was killed) giving points.

I dont see why the bases where made so large, rather than going the route of having all bases minax / com like, they turned all bases TB!

As has been stated, more incentive for controlling towns would in my opinion be the greatest change to factions. The points exploits are easily fixed...you did one by removing transfer...the second(im assuming you havent done) was removing war zone bonuses. Increase point decay to promote participation after wiping the scores and well all be happy.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, its on test, for a couple of months. I think they'd like us to help them make it "right". Bash all you want, or maybe you could pick up that screw driver over there and help make it better.
You asked and I answered. If we suggest things to actually make this better, like we have been for years, given the trend they're just going to ignore it and do whatever the hell they like.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a side note, I apologize for hijacking the thread. I'm off my soap box now.

They need to wipe out the healing, stealth, intel for the point system.

It don't think the point system needs to be moving constant instead of an accruing system like before.

I don't want to see my score drop a thousand points simply by running around.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You asked and I answered. If we suggest things to actually make this better, like we have been for years, given the trend they're just going to ignore it and do whatever the hell they like.
Its a new day and a new team. We are all going to have to act like we never asked for anything before, because in all likelihood, they haven't been able to read it.

This is a great place to start talking about creating the system we would like to play, and pay to play, and that would be exciting enough to have others join us to do the same.

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one would be more than willing to help but I know veteran players that attempted to advise the devs and apparently were not heard and that leaves doubt that real suggestions or advice would be given credence now. .

That said.... Devs, you want to make this work. Make chars, put them in the old factions, learn the players, learn what we really want. There are PEOPLE behind these pixels and obviously you didn't talk to enough of them before you came up with these bases, etc. You are welcome in our vent anytime to talk factions ... you are welcome to my ICQ, my IM, my email... you want to know what the people think and want... I for one am willing to talk to you anytime.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remove the "owned by" from faction artys.
I'm just gonna start the thinking out loud with this:

What if, instead of removing it all together, it didn't get applied until someone puts it on? This could allow guild leaders, or commanders to create a small stockpile of items that could be dispensed as needed to newer players, returning vets?

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The stat loss on the Faction server is currently 5 minutes. I've seen one post in this thread that seems to have noticed. As far as I can tell, he's the only poster who has mentioned stat loss that has actually played on the Faction shard. (Thank you Cardell!)

Have a little faith regarding a fiction based transition to a three faction system. This isn't going out for ***months***. The new factions are a part of the new story line. We are trying to test mechanics here, not story line. My current live story line has a timeline that takes us through the end of the year.

I played last night and had no lag in any of the keeps. I was using the enhanced client. It is helpful to hear from people who are having lag and we will be glad to make improvements. Hear-say and speculative reports of probable lag is not helpful, we know it *might* cause lag.

We might add the ability for people to get imbuing ingredients easily on the Faction shard, but for the time being you can get any artifact in the game on the shard by using the verbal commands. You can also set your stats and skills using verbal commands. The information is in a sticky on this forum but you can see the commands in game by just saying "help commands."

I'll just go ahead and say it, though I realize that a couple of people have called for me to be fired, I designed those keeps. I designed them to support the story. I designed them to actually look like a castle and not an arena. I play a lot of pvp in many games and I always hated the way the keeps look in other games... they don't look like anyone lives there, I'm not even sure I would want to defend such a crappy building. I designed the keeps to make them places that people would take ownership of and want to defend. I designed them so that players could have a fight while running through a castle. I designed them to be part of a virtual world where people fight for a cause and have homes and lives.

The halls are wide to prevent cheesy stuff like 2 people who happened to be in the area stopping a 10 man raid that you spent the past hour putting together with a pile of impassable items. I've had that happen way too much in poorly designed keeps. I designed these keeps so that if some jerk piles candelabras to block a hallway, they are going to need a truckload. I designed them so that greater dragons are not overpowered... or energy fields.

I want keeps to give the defenders an advantage but I want them to be fun too. 3 defenders should have an advantage over 5 attackers in their own keep but not 3 defenders beating 10 attackers... unless the 10 just suck.

I want to say something briefly to the haters in this thread. I get up in the morning thinking about the players of UO and how I can entertain you. I spend all day working on it. I would appreciate a little consideration. You don't have to like what I designed, but speak to me as if I was actually standing in front of you.

Believe me, if the keeps are truly "crap" then they will ***never*** go live. I didn't spend hours upon hours to design them so that I could "ruin the game". To be honest, I'm completely surprised that more people don't say, "Wow, finally some bases that actually look like they belong in a fantasy role playing game."

I realize there will always be those sad people who just come to the internet to spread their hate. I also realize that many people fear change. I also realize that I'm not always right. I also realize that the test shard went live at 3:30pm yesterday and most people haven't had a chance to try the new stuff.

I will be interested to see feedback that will be coming through this weekend when people have more time to actually play on the new server. And finally, for the record, I have never played WOW and I do not think playing it would make me better at designing UO.

Peace.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Initial Faction change Feedback:

The New Bases: If they were designed to be used solely for sigil defenses, and promote faction activity then they are poorly conceived and designed as they contain vast, indefensible space with little to no purpose.

However, just looking at the design of each, I am assuming they are intended to be used as part of a larger faction system that will incorporate different aspects of gameplay such as crafting, commerce, etc. In essence the new bases would function as faction cities which is a concept that holds a great deal of potential.

Initial Concerns:

*Logging inside a Faction Base should not be allowed. When person times out, they should appear in front of the entrance by the signup stone similar to an unfriended person in a house. Players should be able to log in their own faction base under certain circumstances (see below).

*The ability to cast spells, particularly fields through the floors.

*Remoteness: Bases are to far from anything and building communities for each will be a challenge without easier access to the population. Each should have a moongate placed outside the bases so people can easily access bases to join factions and defend and raid. (Like current moongates, sigils should not be able to be run through them).

* No Pets, mounts or flying past the threshold of bases (however they can be used in the passes leading up to the entrances of the bases).

*New Point system is interesting but seems unnecessarily complex... Maybe streamline some of the exploitable aspects such as stealthing and healing.

*Bank: Should only be accessible to the home faction (not enemies) and only accessable to the home faction in certain situations. I suggest tying base functions (such as the banker) to town control... For example, a faction can only access the bank from its base if it controls Vesper. Likewise you can link town control to the activation of Faction Base Functions: (Quick Example of linking town control to base functions)

Vesper: Gives faction access to the bank from within base.

Skara Brae: Allow faction members to purchase faction horses in base from horse breeder (eliminate breeder from town menu)

Moonglow: Allow the purchase of cheap regs, bottles, potions from within the Stronghold... Allows faction alchemists to use silver and resources to make super nova potions (some factions artifacts can only be constructed when Minoc is owned as well).

Minoc: Allow crafters to use silver to make faction traps and artifacts (Some Faction Artifacts Require the Faction control Moonglow as well)

Trinsic: Allows Faction to use Honorable Enemy Base Defense which prevents all hiding and stealthing within base for 2 hrs.

Britain: Fast Recovery Base Defense: Lowers stat timer for Defenders from 20 to 15 mins for 2 hrs.

Yew: Allow access to cheap, raw, natural resources within Stronghold (ore, wood, etc.)

Mag: Allows home faction to log in barracks area (like an inn)

I'll continue testing and giving feedback,

Lore

S

Sir Achilles

Ooooo i kinda like the one idea

10min stat timer, and if the person who puts you in stat dies, you get knocked out of stat loss
Yes, best suggestion I've heard yet. Only if the person that put you into stat goes into stat themselves.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Likewise you can link town control to the activation of Faction Base Functions: (Quick Example of linking town control to base functions)

Skara Brae: Allow faction members to purchase faction horses in base from horse breeder (eliminate breeder from town menu)

Glow: allow the purchase of cheap regs, bottles, potions... allow faction alchemists to use silver and resources to make super nova potions.

Minoc: allow crafters to use silver (in base) to make faction traps and artifacts

Trinsic: Enemies can not hide or stealth within base.

Britain: Allow placement of a Healer who will raise fallen faction members, lowers stat timer from 20 to 15 mins.

Yew: allow access to cheap, raw, natural resources (ore, wood, etc.)

Mag: Allow home faction to log in barracks area (like an inn)

Lore
Lore,

I rather like all the above, except.... sorry.

Mark has stated elsewhere that he has hopes towards revamping the entirety of the virtue system. I would advocate some benefit for each of the eight virtues and amplification for said benefit if the faction controls that town. Maybe only within the base walls themselves, or on a minimal level for all members of the faction anywhere in game, but to a greater extent in the base or in the town itself or both.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Initial Faction change Feedback:

The New Bases: If they were designed to be used solely for sigil defenses, and promote faction activity then they are poorly conceived and designed as they contain vast, indefensible space with little to no purpose.

However, just looking at the design of each, I am assuming they are intended to be used as part of a larger faction system that will incorporate different aspects of gameplay such as crafting, commerce, etc. In essence the new bases would function as faction cities which is a concept that holds a great deal of potential.

Initial Concerns:

*Logging inside a Faction Base should not be allowed. When person times out, they should appear in front of the entrance by the signup stone similar to an unfriended person in a house. Players should be able to log in their own faction base under certain circumstances (see below).

*The ability to cast spells, particularly fields through the floors.

*Remoteness: Bases are to far from anything and building communities for each will be a challenge without easier access to the population. Each should have a moongate placed outside the bases so people can easily access bases to join factions and defend and raid. (Like current moongates, sigils should not be able to be run through them).

* No Pets, mounts or flying past the threshold of bases (however they can be used in the passes leading up to the entrances of the bases).

*New Point system is interesting but seems unnecessarily complex... Maybe streamline some of the exploitable aspects such as stealthing and healing.

*Bank: Should only be accessible to the home faction (not enemies). I suggest tying base functions (such as the banker) to town control... For example, a faction can only access the bank from its base if it controls Vesper. Likewise you can link town control to the activation of Faction Base Functions: (Quick Example of linking town control to base functions)

Glow: allow the purchase of cheap regs, bottles, potions... allow faction alchemists to use silver and resources to make super nova potions.

Minoc: allow crafters to use silver (in base) to make faction traps and artifacts

Trinsic: Enemies can not hide or stealth within base.

Britain: Allow placement of a Healer who will raise fallen faction members, lowers stat timer from 20 to 15 mins.

Yew: allow access to cheap, raw, natural resources (ore, wood, etc.)

Mag: Allow home faction to log in barracks area (like an inn)

Lore

Hmm, the idea of a faction city, versus a faction "base" is interesting. But they need to refine the "city" a little more then it is.

I like the moongate idea, as long as sigils cannot be transported through them. Maybe an extension to the problem of the bases being so far apart can be some sort of teleporter somewhere, that lands you half way between bases, would be another place to try to catch sigil carriers before they make it to their base. Perhaps you can only use this teleporter if you are not in animal form, or stealthing.

I also really really like your ideas for town control.

EDIT: really really really really like ur town control idea lol

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm unlikely to test this stuff, for the simple fact that I suck at testing. Always have, always will.

Also, though I'm an active Faction player, I don't plan on addressing this stuff too much. For a lot of reasons.

But one thing I will address is the Strongholds. It seems like fiction is important to the team right now, and I find that to be very much to your credit and I think you for it. Very much.

From everything I have heard, the Strongholds are beautifully designed (at least aesthetically) and do indeed fit your intent to look like people live there, to look like something out of a fantasy RPG...Which only makes sense, because that's what UO is.

However, from what I read the Strongholds don't really fit the fiction. Yes, I know the background fiction hasn't been posted yet! But....Well you'll see what I mean, I think.

Consider the particulars. Consider Felucca, consider Factions.

Even when the new fiction is introduced and new ideologies replace old ones, Factions, from what I can tell, will still be people fighting over political control of the Felucca facet. Felucca left epic fantasy behind a long time ago. The epic figures of UO such as Dupre and Minax and Keeonan and Lord British aren't interested anymore. Even if new epic figures replace old ones, or even if old epic figures take a new interest, at the "ground level" of the conflict will still be the same characters.

Why do these characters fight? Some fight because it's their homeland, some fight just to have a fight, some fight just to have an item, some fight just to get off on spilling blood, etc.

From what I read, these strongholds would be awesome in a different setting. But, in this setting, they make less sense fictionally than you might think. The kinds of characters who fight in Factions are going to be more interested in function than form, more interested in choke points than feeling at home. The opulent splendor of high fantasy doesn't fit Felucca, or Factions. Nor does having a bank in the base. Even if the new system attracts tons of new people, the bulk of the fighters are still going to be the same characters they were before, with the same very practical concerns and very practical mindsets. No Commanding Lord of any Faction is ever going to wake up one morning and worry about whether or not he has a rug in his bedroom.

If the characters want to experience the "good life," they will take a break and go to one of the other maps.

There's no functioning government in Felucca. The few remaining citizens there are lucky there's banks and a basic level of guard protection. Running water and clean sheets are too much to ask. As is pretty much any level of luxury in a Faction Stronghold.

I'd suggest that, for fictional/RP reasons, austere and functional make more sense. And will, even with the new fiction.

-Galen's player

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do know on the GL base on the right side with the stairs there are some rooms but finding the entry is nearly impossible unless you just keep running against the wall with your mouse pointed left. They need to notch the ceiling to show where the doors are to enter.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i really like the way the FT base is laid out, alot of small base glitches, but it is pretty nice.

one problem.

THE BIG FRICKEN SERVER LINE RIGHT OUTSIDE THE MAIN PASS