• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Factions Testing Commencement

T

Trevelyan

Not sure if this is the result of map changing but the swamps look messed up now (check near destard)

J

[JD]

Since there will be a couple of months between now and when this hits a live server, players will have time to make an alternate suit.
i'm not sure how in touch you are with the price of relics, time to farm 10 of each special ingredient, etc, but it is no easy matter to just "come up with an alternate suit" should you decide to deactivate current artifacts.

i started my account 7 months ago and just now i think i am at the point where i have the cash to build a mid level PVP suit.

thank goodness i didn't spend time making a suit and linking it to faction artifacts which will be wiped out, or i'd probably be pretty ticked off at having read this statement.

i don't know what will happen with the items, but please don't assume we as players all have been around for 10 years and have unlimited amounts of gold where we can just make a new suit on a whim...

some of us are new, with very little resources, and we rely on the relatively "inexpensive" (using silver) items to get around.

thanks

C

Capt.E

1. Is there a proposed change for the "your pet won't attack" exploit?

2. 10 hours for a sigil?? Really?? 10 as in right after 9, jeez. Who plays for that long? I have a job already, I'm not really looking to punch in a 10 hour day in UO afterwards. Please change?? Pretty please?

3. As long as I can get to the next base within 15 minutes I'm ok with that. I'm holding it for that long anyways.

Have a good one

S

Sunchicken

I AGREE that siege silver prices need to be lowered to prodo prices. It takes entirly to long to farm even the rank one items. I simply cannot invest enough time to farm silver.

I do not like the distances between and the lowering of the quantity of factions.

4>3

J

[JD]

JD... Being the dismounter of the group is indeed an important roll.. Perhaps if someone is dismounted & killed within the 10 second remount timer the person who dismounted them should get a fraction of the kill points?
i like that suggestion, or something like it.

STATLOSS is good.... the timer might be able to be lowered but the consequences of say a Despise fight where there's not statloss can be quite lame.. When the possiblity of simply "out ressing" your opponent becomes a Valid PvP tactic THAT'S BAD lol...
agree here with vexxed. as much as i hate the 20 minute statloss timer, and as much as they SUCK for the casual player who has 30-60 min to play every other day, statloss does need to remain so there can be actual "wipes" of enemy forces where they won't come back at you over and over again. i learned that one battling my old guild, they chose the same faction as us and would just come back at us over and over and over no matter how many times we wiped them. very. stupid.

maybe they could tweak it so that people who play the most have the longest 15-20 min statloss timers, but the casual dude who hops on for an hour or two a week has only a 10 minute timer.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously, fix stat loss. It's changed PvP into a defensive one with roving bands of archers instead of mages. If PvP was more fun to play, more people would join.

The argument listed above about playing an hour or two a day and possibly spending a third of that time in stat is a perfect example. What's worse is that guildmates in stat will often go take a break, and the time for everyone to regroup becomes fractured; most people just log off after a while.

PvP on many shards has become short rounds of playing punctuated with either waiting out stat loss or waiting for your guildmates to come out of stat loss. Gone are the days of huge battles where people could fight on indefinitely.

Worse yet are those guilds, both red and blue, that exploit the system by employing a faction stealth archer to rezkill and place opponents in stat. Now a small group of PvPers are dealt with the punishment of stat loss by a group that is largely not under the same rule set.

I'm willing to give a lot of the above changes a shot although I generally dislike the way a lot of them sound. But I'm hoping you guys will seriously consider the way stat loss is dealt.

T

Trevelyan

Agreed with JC. I couldnt even chase him properly! :D

But really, there are a few places where you can get stuck and I can see some exploitable parts. Also, is the GL base the only one with a "secret" entrance?

E

Eyes of Origin

How will it work when it starts?

Obviously we won't be able to use our faction arties when we have to rejoin so what happens then? Nobody will have points and to be honest I don't even have a suit to play without using faction items... Seems like the start of it will be pretty gay...
Sounds like you and anyone else with this problem will have to adjust their suits to PRE faction arties. Sorry, but thats how it should be. Start everyone with a clean slate.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll wait to bash this untill I can read and test more but Mike UO has never had PVE, ever. In this game its PvM or PvP, this is not WoW and please leave it be that way.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like you and anyone else with this problem will have to adjust their suits to PRE faction arties. Sorry, but thats how it should be. Start everyone with a clean slate.
But that's the problem for us who like xshard to fight new folks. We don't come with crafters, imbuers, huge chests of normal armor or want to spend money on artifacts and PvM loot.

As it stands, my character on Great Lakes will be effectively useless since I also don't intend to play enough to make it to top ranks.

The requirements for xshard PvPers just got that much harder.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
personally, id prefer people to have to have regular non faction arty suits as well. With imbuing there is no excuse

R

Rumpelstiltskin

Hey,

whats up with cross healing in towns for faction?
If you want more pvp action, Please allow guild or faction cross healing in guard zone red or not,

that is the only thing that needs to be changed

I also have one more request, can you make i spot for sa farmed items so we can imbue weapons with - mage and spell channeling

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this would be an appropriate change to make. However, I'd like more feedback on it before making a final decision.
The best thing to do, IMO, is remove the faction items completely. It creates the same situation we've been working so hard to avoid... the haves vs the have nots. First we had the PBD issue, then the limited supply of blessed 7th anniversary armor, which has all been corrected and now we have overbuffed faction items. Factioners do not fight ONLY other factioners and there lies the imbalance.

The best resolution IMO, is to alter the mods on faction to match their counterparts or remove them from Siege Perilous completely.

And here is a fact: Factioners on Siege care nothing about controlling towns because there are no benefits. They do not defend bases or fight over sigils. Ever. We need an incentive to do so and in light of the fact that factioners fight non-factioners, those incentives should not be item based, in order to maintain balance.

My suggestion for an incentive would be to reduce statloss by 2 minutes per town that a particular faction controls. Control of all 8 towns by one faction = 16 minute reduction of statloss for each of that factions members. Control of 7 = 14 minute reduction of statloss, etc, etc. THAT would inspre people to control towns.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow.

Where to start..

So far, my initial testing has been really ****ty.

1. Minax (or what ever the new dumb name is) base is jacked. I'm pretty sure 90% of the base complaints stopped after the guards were removed. So what do you do.. Change all the bases.. Ok cool, what ever. Change of scenery. Looking back into the faction forum history I can't seem to see anyone asking for a laggy base, tables, fighting dummies, stupid annoying elevators, or pointless decorations. Maybe its just me, but this base seems to have been gang banged by a bunch of terrible ideas... and it doesn't need to be fixed. It needs to be deleted and just have someone else start over on it. Who was in charge of that... shame on you. The carpet has to go... simple as that. The lag has to go... The decorations have to go, the dummies have to go, the banks have to go, the crafting stations need to be compacted into a smaller area.. not spread all over the place and some of the parts of the base have to be tweaked.. Every one of those bases are a thieves wet dream. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say, it will be literally impossible for a small guild to successfully guard the sigs from a larger... or even against another small guild with a good thief.

The other 2 bases aren't all that bad... I guess, none strike me as a good design but its a change of scenery and I havent tested a raid or defense yet. It seems you are pushing for large scale combat.. In a game that you cater to carebears and shun the pvpers.... I hope you aren't expecting any shards to have enough people to utilize these bases. The layouts aren't all that bad... but they aren't enough to lure 100% of the small pvp population into the factions.. AND there still is no incentive for the non pvpers to join.. Other than maybe a bonus to crafters... but lets see how long that lasts when 1 huge pvp guild runs the factions and just rolls into every base every 5 minutes with detectors,, detecting and ganking the new flavor of the month,,, stealth/ninja crafters..

2. Point system. Again we ask for a simple system that works and reward everyone 1000s of points for stupid ****. I've been in factions for 10 minutes and have 14000 points after 2 kills. COOL! Lets see how big that number is in 1 months... or 2 months.. or 3... well with these changes the factions wont last that long.. so don't even bothering thinking up a number that big. Points for healing...? really.. that wont be exploitable.... points for stealthing!?!??!?!?!?! wtf.... NO ONE will be able to exploit that... points for watching fights? Like seriously... wtf would you reward someone for healing.. if they don't heal they cannot win, healing is its own reward... It's a discipline people need to learn to be good... giving points for this is just so god damn ******** its not even funny. Same with stealthing... are you really going to reward people to having an annoying skill on their template that, again, is its own reward. It allows them to get the jump on people and save their ass from dying... Why do they need to be given points.

The points are too high.. after 10 minutes.. if you think this is going to work you seriously are dumb as ****... its way to complicated.. simplify this **** plz..

3. EA needs to fire their staff.. They don't know what they are doing with this.

Good ****!

1. Leader boards.. cool!
2. Points for sigs..!
3. Multiple ways into each base.
4. Crafting stations in base.
5. 2 Places to place sigs and guard them..

Suggestions

1. Get rid of all carpets, tables, decorations in every base.. It's nothing but lag..
2. Minax base walls need to be all one color, one theme.. it has to look right.. It looks like garbage atm.. Plain and simple. Oh yeah and it's laggy as hell.. Again,, just like it was back in the day..
3. Make the bases a little bit smaller.. or at least defendable for smaller guilds.
4. Get rid of floating carpet in Minax base.
5. Get rid of all houses within 5 screens of the new bases.
6. Get rid of points for healing, points for stealthing, and INTE. If you want to keep track of the stats for those.. COOL.. what ever.. just don't give people points they aren't earning. That **** is so exploitable its not even funny..
7. Teleporters in bases are dumb, get rid of them..

*EDIT* -219929328198 points when you die is dumb.

R

Rumpelstiltskin

I think this would be an appropriate change to make. However, I'd like more feedback on it before making a final decision.
The best thing to do, IMO, is remove the faction items completely. It creates the same situation we've been working so hard to avoid... the haves vs the have nots. First we had the PBD issue, then the limited supply of blessed 7th anniversary armor, which has all been corrected and now we have overbuffed faction items. Factioners do not fight ONLY other factioners and there lies the imbalance.

The best resolution IMO, is to alter the mods on faction to match their counterparts or remove them from Siege Perilous completely.

And here is a fact: Factioners on Siege care nothing about controlling towns because there are no benefits. They do not defend bases or fight over sigils. Ever. We need an incentive to do so and in light of the fact that factioners fight non-factioners, those incentives should not be item based, in order to maintain balance.

My suggestion for an incentive would be to reduce statloss by 2 minutes per town that a particular faction controls. Control of all 8 towns by one faction = 16 minute reduction of statloss for each of that factions members. Control of 7 = 14 minute reduction of statloss, etc, etc. THAT would inspre people to control towns.

This is not a thread about faction items, so Please delete this, if you have a request for the Faction server please post it here, but as for siege faction items take it to uhall..

have a nice day

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, take away the guard zones in faction corrupted cities while you guys are at it. It's annoying and we shouldn't be held to those rules. There's hardly ever fighting in Faction Bases anyways.

L

Locryn Finck

Some comments about the above posts:

*To the guy worrying that his stealth dismount archer won't be able to get the right amount of pts to stay artied out: Please play a new template. Your killing pvp. Its not "good group tactics", its an overpowered mechanic to instantly dismount anywhere on the screen for 1/4th life from stealth. So you dismount some faction guy who instantly gets wtfpwnd by your teammates and statlossed. Then you sit bored for 20 minutes or more. AWESOME!!!

*Which leads to another post: None of these changes do anything to address the fundamental reason that factions suck right now: They actually create LESS PVP. Statloss creates a climate where NOBODY wants to risk dying. So you have either one group of a faction running around that nobody wants to fight because of the insta gank, or the rare occasion of an equal group fight that disperses once one player from either side dies since nobody wants to get statlossed because of the disadvantage.

It has killed casual dueling. It has killed larger scale champ spawn fights. It has made it so that fights are brief and delays are massive, and it discourages small team pvp. The only beneficial thing factions has done is give virtually anybody access to obscene pvp suits (max DCI isn't enough! You need SUPER MAX). I say remove the bonuses from the items, make them faction hued for l337 effect and have them as an option for people who can't afford artis. They should be identical, not insanely better. Stop forcing pvprs to either go faction or be gimped. If its a fun system, people interested will still play it. But enough of the madness.

T

Trevelyan

Hmm question about lag. I wouldnt have thought the bases would lag anyone if they are a part of the map. Do more items make more lag if its just a part of the map? Is it as significant as say, everyone casting stuff?

Id be interested in some sort of official response, for clarification. Though the bases look cool!

Also, I did lag a bit...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it is no longer possible to transfer points between players.

Anybody else want a response on the untruth regarding "Faction items are replicas of PVE items"

No they are NOT! The bonuses on them have practically ruined pvp on most shards and forced people into factions. It is a HUGE deal, and the Dev gets it wrong? Speak up people.
These new changes are complete bullcrap. Since the intro of faction arties people have been forced into factions to be able to compete and now we're going to be screwed again. I've been reading the boards for years and from what i gathered the players only wanted the points system tweaked...not the whole system redone to make things even more difficult to keep rank.

I've got, or had rather, 5 faction pvpers. When these changes go in i would have to buy 5 suits for temp use since i will not be able to xfer points. Even imbued suits sell for 50-80mil each. I'm not going to do it.

Mythic can take these faction changes and shove em for all i'm concerned. I will not participate.

L

Locryn Finck

These new changes are complete bullcrap. Since the intro of faction arties people have been forced into factions to be able to compete and now we're going to be screwed again. I've been reading the boards for years and from what i gathered the players only wanted the points system tweaked...not the whole system redone to make things even more difficult to keep rank.

I've got, or had rather, 5 faction pvpers. When these changes go in i would have to buy 5 suits for temp use since i will not be able to xfer points. Even imbued suits sell for 50-80mil each. I'm not going to do it.

Mythic can take these faction changes and shove em for all i'm concerned. I will not participate.
I don't mind collecting a suit or pvping with a slightly less than uber setup. The issue is, the faction items are BEYOND uber. They enable stats that just are not achievable by a non faction pvpr. To the dev commenting in this thread: Just make good on what you said. Make faction artifacts duplicates of the standard variants. You'll lose about 90% of faction players, but the good news is: PVP will be back!

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someone take screenshots and post the new faction strongholds?

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not a thread about faction items, so Please delete this, if you have a request for the Faction server please post it here, but as for siege faction items take it to uhall..

have a nice day
Is there a reason you told that to Kat and not to your guildmates? Or are you a hypocritical coward afraid to say the same thing to your own guildmates?

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quick question, maybe slightly off topic.

Since their are ratings for Healing, damage, stealthing, etc.. Will there ever one for crafters turn-ins, or some other way crafters will be able to contribute to factions? Not just for ranking or access to gear, mind you, just to be associated with a faction and being a part of that community, but doing something to help besides fight...

Maybe upkeep of some kind for your city guards, or being able to produce high-quality imbued gear for them?

/shrug

Sorry, back to the discussion of the current changes. I'd love to be a part of the faction community, but I'm a terrible PvP'er.

R

Rumpelstiltskin

Is there a reason you told that to Kat and not to your guildmates? Or are you a hypocritical coward afraid to say the same thing to your own guildmates?

because her points are not valid, without faction arties, there is no incentive to even do factions.

why would they remove them?

we are trying to take steps forward not back

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is kinda lame.

we all wanted a fix for the point system and how it was exploted long ago and NEVER fixed.

what we're getting here is not a fix for the point system, but a new point system.

the ONLY reason to even pvp in factions STILL will be to wear the items and nothing more. the whole idea of the point system will still be and always be as exploitable and meaningless in one way, shape or form.

sadly i'm starting to feel that the characters I have on 4 other shards will be unplayable now. the new faction system along with imbuing made it easier for players to enjoy playing on multiple shards with new faces and different pvp scenes. i really hope that isn't gettin taken away...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
because her points are not valid, without faction arties, there is no incentive to even do factions.

Maybe if we took a few steps back we might actually have people playing UO...because all i see is ghost shards so something must not be right for people to be quitting left and right...

B

Bruin

IMHO, stat loss needs to go, and be replaced with something like faction members may not rez for 3 minutes until after death. So you die, wait 3 minutes, then you can rez. This makes it so there is somewhat meaning to death WHILE not taking out soo much time out of a persons playtime.

Preferably the 3 minutes wait before rez should apply to all deaths, not just a death against another faction player since the benefits of factions, primarily the artifacts, can be used against anything (pvm or pvp).

Ohh and yes, if you really want to make factions viable, you have to make them have a true purpose. A purpose other than 'ohh look I get items!'. You need to make controlling a town meaningful (placing your own guards, your own vendors, etc).

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is kinda lame.

we all wanted a fix for the point system and how it was exploted long ago and NEVER fixed.

what we're getting here is not a fix for the point system, but a new point system.

the ONLY reason to even pvp in factions STILL will be to wear the items and nothing more. the whole idea of the point system will still be and always be as exploitable and meaningless in one way, shape or form.

sadly i'm starting to feel that the characters I have on 4 other shards will be unplayable now. the new faction system along with imbuing made it easier for players to enjoy playing on multiple shards with new faces and different pvp scenes. i really hope that isn't gettin taken away...
100% agree!!!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Remove the "owned by" from faction artys.

S

Scratch

well i came and saw that there are no imbuing ingredients with which to work with and im not farming for a week or more to make a suit to play on a test shard, so i guess ill wait the yrs it takes to hit production shards......if i wanted to play a non faction non imbued suited char...lol.....id start a new acct

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have a character in factions on siege and i can tell you , there hasnt been much action lately . the main reason ? its too expensive to die .

most people wont leave their houses unless the odds are in their favor. those that do typicly run a stealth template so they can get away.

i remember days you could compete in a gm suit . (many did)
now ? pfft ... man please .
you built these uber bonuses into the system . now we HAVE to have them (cause you know your enemy does) . could we at least have a reasonable price for them ? its not like we can insure them and keep em for ever.

thank you for listening

El-Ninio Stormbringer of Vengeance (TB)

R

Rumpelstiltskin

Maybe if we took a few steps back we might actually have people playing UO...because all i see is ghost shards so something must not be right for people to be quitting left and right...
sir please respond to me in private, I do not want to take over this thread with my opinions, This thread is getting some productive feedback, lets not use this as a opportunity to campaigned against faction artifacts, the developer asked for some feedback based on the silver cost, not removal of artifacts.

R

Rumpelstiltskin

I am not sure if this is intended but this is also another problem with factions,

If I currently have a character in one faction, and another character in a random guild. and my random guild decideds to join a apposing factions that my current character is in, it will allow him so, and allow me to have multipul characters in different factions on the same account and server

UOMaddog

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are all the fixes that should be implemented in one nice concise post:

#1. STATLOSS
Quite simple. Statloss is now lowered to 5 minutes (or 10 minutes MAX). However, IF you kill the person that killed you, you come out of stat. This encourages people NOT to walk away from their computer to wait out 20 minutes of stat, instead it encourages them to FIGHT BACK to get out of stat even quicker. Statloss, solved!

#2. TOWN CONTROL
First things first. Guard zones are removed completely from Felucca. Stop your whining already and just keep reading. Whichever faction controls a town is the ONLY one who is allowed to call guards. ALSO guards can be called on both blues AND reds that attack you in town, but not other faction members (either the same or opposing). This solves:
A) Blues guardwhacking people who were damaged by a faction memeber and putting them in stat.
B) Gives factions a good reason to want to control towns!
I don't have a good solution for timers for sigils and stuff, but that can be wheedled out later

#3. FACTION ARTIFACTS
PvMers have plenty of stuff to play with. There are TONS of artifacts that are useless in PvP but quite valuable in PvM. Therefore, faction items SHOULD be slightly overpowered compared to other items. I would even go so far as to say that Faction Artifacts should only be useable in Felucca (I'm sure we can start a huge debate over it) since Faction fighting is only allowed in Fel. As for how faction points should be gained/lost, that's the toughest part. I'd say just make it simple:
Each time you kill someone, you get a point.
Each time you die, you lose a point.
Each time you steal a sigil AND place it on your bases' pedestals, you gain a point.
Each time an opponent steals it back before it is corrupted, you lose the point.
Points should update instantly.
Max regular member rank is Rank 8.
Points can be accumulated up to 10 (So you have a 2 point buffer before you start losing the ability to wear artifacts)
Sherrifs and Finance Ministers = Rank 9
Commanding Lord = Rank 10
Special Artifacts (or Clothing) for Rank 9 and 10.

So....3 Major Problems, All SOLVED!

Trust me, you need to change it to this system. It WILL work. It eliminates farming (die twice and all the farming in the world doesn't help you at all). It ENCOURAGES fighting, both IN and OUT of statloss. It provides a benefit for controlling towns. It eliminates the effect of non-faction members during town battles. Boom, Boom, POW! Solved. JUST IMPLEMENT AND LET US PLAY!!

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are all the fixes that should be implemented in one nice concise post:

#1. STATLOSS
Quite simple. Statloss is now lowered to 5 minutes (or 10 minutes MAX). However, IF you kill the person that killed you, you come out of stat. This encourages people NOT to walk away from their computer to wait out 20 minutes of stat, instead it encourages them to FIGHT BACK to get out of stat even quicker. Statloss, solved!

#2. TOWN CONTROL
First things first. Guard zones are removed completely from Felucca. Stop your whining already and just keep reading. Whichever faction controls a town is the ONLY one who is allowed to call guards. ALSO guards can be called on both blues AND reds that attack you in town, but not other faction members (either the same or opposing). This solves:
A) Blues guardwhacking people who were damaged by a faction memeber and putting them in stat.
B) Gives factions a good reason to want to control towns!
I don't have a good solution for timers for sigils and stuff, but that can be wheedled out later

#3. FACTION ARTIFACTS
PvMers have plenty of stuff to play with. There are TONS of artifacts that are useless in PvP but quite valuable in PvM. Therefore, faction items SHOULD be slightly overpowered compared to other items. I would even go so far as to say that Faction Artifacts should only be useable in Felucca (I'm sure we can start a huge debate over it) since Faction fighting is only allowed in Fel. As for how faction points should be gained/lost, that's the toughest part. I'd say just make it simple:
Each time you kill someone, you get a point.
Each time you die, you lose a point.
Each time you steal a sigil AND place it on your bases' pedestals, you gain a point.
Each time an opponent steals it back before it is corrupted, you lose the point.
Points should update instantly.
Max regular member rank is Rank 8.
Points can be accumulated up to 10 (So you have a 2 point buffer before you start losing the ability to wear artifacts)
Sherrifs and Finance Ministers = Rank 9
Commanding Lord = Rank 10
Special Artifacts (or Clothing) for Rank 9 and 10.

So....3 Major Problems, All SOLVED!

Trust me, you need to change it to this system. It WILL work. It eliminates farming (die twice and all the farming in the world doesn't help you at all). It ENCOURAGES fighting, both IN and OUT of statloss. It provides a benefit for controlling towns. It eliminates the effect of non-faction members during town battles. Boom, Boom, POW! Solved. JUST IMPLEMENT AND LET US PLAY!!
I hope they actually read something intelligent like this and makes some adjustments. it is so darn simple and true. people that actually use this on a daily basis and not to wear nice gear on pvmers or have 10 characters rank ten and rarely play have understood how this should work for a long time. Thx for laying out the fixes that should of happened ages ago in probably 30 minutes without over complicating them.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ooooo i kinda like the one idea

10min stat timer, and if the person who puts you in stat dies, you get knocked out of stat loss

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This whole thing has given me a headache.
How do you test something when you don't know how it's actually supposed to work?
Why weren't we given a mirror of a shard to test on? Most of us have multiple characters on multiple accounts on multiple shards would have been easier testing for us to play THOSE characters.
It's annoying to have to learn a whole new system without even being told what the hell that system is or how it's actually supposed to work.

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am with Cardell... WOW...where do I begin....

Bases - all of them are far too large, too many places for even a mediocre thief to hide with a sig. Unless you have literally an army, you will never find a good thief before they refresh sigs.

Free Tradesman - by far the easiest to defend. Upper level sigil room one set of double doors to west and one set to east. Easily defendable with only two entrances. 2nd Sigil room, easily fielded narrow passages, again, two entrances but easily fielded. Entry way ... one long potential choke point.

Guardian's Legion - really, a secret entrance you have to be kidding me...easily defendable sigil room, unnecessarily elaborate, laggy.

Crusaders of Virtue - oh my goodness. 4 entrances to sig room, wide open entrance, needs two fields to field off. I haven't researched it well yet but appears to be the hardest to defend. Frilly, unnecessary eye candy.

Run times - from FT to CV - approximately 3 minutes 45 seconds. From FT to GL approximately the same. From CV to GL 2 minutes 50 seconds. That was a dead run in wolf form. Those were first time runs so I imagine you could shave a few seconds off once you get the "line".... and I was lagging. I have to say it is a boring, tree bouncing run.

Great Lake current faction run times - SL to TB 1 minute 30 seconds. Minax to TB 1 minute 47 seconds. CoM to TB 1 minute 10 seconds. I run normally 125 ping. Both chars were identical stats and skills.

Points - I have almost 20000 points from doing nothing more than running around and looking at bases. I happened to stealth around some ojs and sigils, never touched one. I did lose points when a friend in an enemy faction was attacking me so I see you lose points for combat contact other than death? For a thief, wow, that is all we do is take damage. I will be waiting to see the real effect of the point system. Honestly, it is far more complicated than it needs to be.

So my opinion is unchanged... the bases are too big, they are not equitable in there defensive ability (wasn't that a major reason this was changing to get rid of the inequities/bugs of bases?), they are full of unecessary deco and artsy-ness (well done, really, but not suitable for fighting situations where lag means death), the run times are nearly doubled (very hard to keep thieves running sigs already), seriously a hidden entrance? *shakes head*, point system will be easily and blatantly exploited and I will stop there before I cry.

Devs you would throw out a system full of history (some good, some bad) for this? I don't see people milling around these bases to fight... I still see them coming to Brit because they love to fight in that town. Take out the guard zones, throw out the point system, reconsider arties and let us get back to playing factions.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thus far i really do not understand the point system, heck i killed 6 oj's died once, i logged for a while and came back, i had -2.... something million points, negative... i have no idea what i did wrong... i healed my allies, etc.. lol

the fact that you get points just from stealthing around is irriating, or detecting. Like Cardell said.. you really think people arent going to setup one account with a stealther, and the other account with a detective, and have at it?

I like the idea of losing points if you take tons of damage but do not dish it out, but i think that is nuts for a thief. that is not their job to damage people, but they are a punching bag most of the time.

i don't mind the size of the base all that much, but all of the multiple entrances is insane, like has been mentioned before. a thief could breeze around in there no problem. It is almost like the bases are meant for a giant army versus army play style, but that isn't the case really anymore.

Something needs done with factions, and i like the idea of the point system, but some of it has to go. I do like that you put in a thing for points for healing tho, alot of people would forget to cross heal cause they were going after the kill shot =P

A

Ariak

Hmm where to start....

WHy do i play factions? Some type of reward system (no not arties, we will get to those) for actively participating in PvP. This is currently expressed as kill points. However, the current system encourages mules and has gotten out of hand as well ( punkte 10000000 points). I couldnt possibly think of a full fix, but not allowing point transfer and not allowing points from the same person per say 12 hours would be a good start. I realize some smaller shards encounter the same few people over and over, but after a revamp there SHOULD be far more participants

Now, on to the arties.

1. REMOVE the bonuses completely (these are far too powerful and should not be a prereq to pvp). Allow purchase of the regular arties at the discounted silver rate. Throw in certain replicas even. This would drive prices on said arties down a good bit but i don't see that as a bad thing (Im sure certain people would disagree, you know who you are tsk!). Let's narrow the gap between haves and have nots. In addition to this, drop the faction level requirements on said items. YOu are making the items the faction reward and a requisite to pvp. That shouldnt be the case.

Last, the faction rank system. Some type of reward that could be respected among all communities needs to be put in place. SOmething more than just a punkte status. Special titles? Cool hues on armor/toon? Something that would demand a certain level of respect for anyone who knew what pvp was. THis post was simplified and the problem with UO pvp reaches much farther that i could possibly write down right now. The newness and the adrenaline rush to fighting and winning is 10 years past. We can never get that back. But cmon guys, give us something we can have fun with again. THanks for reading .

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some comments about the above posts:

*To the guy worrying that his stealth dismount archer won't be able to get the right amount of pts to stay artied out: Please play a new template. Your killing pvp. Its not "good group tactics", its an overpowered mechanic to instantly dismount anywhere on the screen for 1/4th life from stealth. So you dismount some faction guy who instantly gets wtfpwnd by your teammates and statlossed. Then you sit bored for 20 minutes or more. AWESOME!!!

*Which leads to another post: None of these changes do anything to address the fundamental reason that factions suck right now: They actually create LESS PVP. Statloss creates a climate where NOBODY wants to risk dying. So you have either one group of a faction running around that nobody wants to fight because of the insta gank, or the rare occasion of an equal group fight that disperses once one player from either side dies since nobody wants to get statlossed because of the disadvantage.

It has killed casual dueling. It has killed larger scale champ spawn fights. It has made it so that fights are brief and delays are massive, and it discourages small team pvp. The only beneficial thing factions has done is give virtually anybody access to obscene pvp suits (max DCI isn't enough! You need SUPER MAX). I say remove the bonuses from the items, make them faction hued for l337 effect and have them as an option for people who can't afford artis. They should be identical, not insanely better. Stop forcing pvprs to either go faction or be gimped. If its a fun system, people interested will still play it. But enough of the madness.
Completely agree.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am with Cardell... WOW...where do I begin....
Yeah Im with you both. I feel like I've been kicked in the nuts. The bases suck and the point system is ****ty. Thanks for convincing me to sell the rest of my accounts. Oh, (for gold).

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Bere even with our disagreements, I hate to see you go ... but this might just be the one thing that makes me take my $52.00 a month and do other things with it. I play UO for the factions ... this, as presented, is not factions. It is lovely pvp arenas... I will wait to hear from others in our faction and if they are willing to give it a try I will stay with them until the verdict is in.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Bere even with our disagreements, I hate to see you go ... but this might just be the one thing that makes me take my $52.00 a month and do other things with it. I play UO for the factions ... this, as presented, is not factions. It is lovely pvp arenas... I will wait to hear from others in our faction and if they are willing to give it a try I will stay with them until the verdict is in.
I am going to try to take a look at the bases and the point system tomorrow and try to provide some coherent feedback. However, I'm suffering some massive UO burnout at this point and have just been trying to finish up training skills on a few shards where I've enjoyed playing, clean out a bunch of houses and bank the important stuff, and then take a long break from UO. I hope the changes are successful and bring about a revival for UO. However, I really don't see myself being around much if at all to participate.

Z

Zero Day

The points seem to need tweaking by the really really really really large numbers being posted. I guess according to the description that points are nowhere near kill points in significance and they are supposed to be a representation of quality of participation over time.
Basically has anybody fought and compared numbers and see how the points stacked?

I'm glad to see healers getting some love.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK Simple question were are these bases i really dont want to have to look Everywere

I dont want to have ot loo EVERYWERE just to explore the bases

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah Im with you both. I feel like I've been kicked in the nuts. The bases suck and the point system is ****ty. Thanks for convincing me to sell the rest of my accounts. Oh, (for gold).
lol..

Guys, I think this is just a late April fools joke...
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I can't wait to see how this **** comes out..