• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 86.0.1 to TC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Correction, it takes more player skill to use than a Bow does....
You mean, only in those instances where you need to teleport after your target.

Regardless this change isn't going to change anything for me, except I'll have another RNG (whoopie do...) chance incase I mistime my self-dismount, that I won't get hit anyway.
Those ethy mounts tho... mmmmh so good.

I'm just trying to see why this change is a bad one, even if the change goes through or not it makes no difference to me.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is NOT .02 mana per second lol. It's

First off, where did you learn your math? It's not a .02 mana per second. It's a .5 mana per second difference, and that's 25% of your regen rate. Is it worth it? Maybe. I would go so far as to say probably. But the point isn't that it's not worth it. I never said it WASN'T worth it. The point was that it helps dexxers MUCH MORE than mages. Don't believe me? run those numbers on a dexxer with lower intelligence and tell me what you get. Either way, the point is, it allows Dexxers to do insane burst damage, that a mage simply couldn't do.

I never said NO ONE should be able to kill me 3v1. I'm just saying EVERYONE shouldn't be able to kill me 3v1.

That guy on Atlantic who used the splinter weap? Unless you're talking about me, he did it because he got a super rare weapon that doesn't exist ANYWHERE, and he was able to build the template around it. Without his weapon, that template can't be done. Even then, he's weak defensively and only survives because he plays a blue and stays in the guard zone. Oh btw, he was a TANK mage, Notice the word TANK before mage? That means he wasn't just a mage, he was a dexxer too. That doesn't mean it still isn't much better for dexxers to use than mages. It isn't good for mages. If they were, why don't mages use them?

Yes, but you're not getting the point. They don't go off NEARLY as much as dexxer's do, because with 0 HCI and no HLD you have a 34% chance of hitting, as opposed to a 56. Not only that, but as a dexxer, you also have stamina which makes you swing much more often, and you actually TRY to hit people, and don't stop to cast spells. And even then, they still don't stack with specials, because MAGES DON'T USE SPECIALS. Again, BIG.PICTURE.

I listed many, many points. Bola's as are, are not as good as Archer/Thrower dismounts, and even if they WERE; nerfing them isn't going to help balance the over-powered-ness of dismounts.
Yes it is, because you were talking about giving up 20 med. Look at the difference between med and no med. Oh look at that, .02 mana difference giving up med. wow just like I said. A dexer in studded won't have 120 focus, and they would also have no med helping them so how is a dexer with no med > a mage with focus in studded when it comes to mana regen? Use your brain please.

You still never explained why people shouldn't be able to kill you 3v1. Just they shouldn't be able to and now we're moving on to the next topic? Oh okay, that is a good point never saw it that way. Yea they just shouldn't be able to..

You're trying to break it down with percents. If it didn't go off as often as you cited no one would care about dueling with weps, so you are already wrong. They hit more often than you're acting like they do. Also MAGES do use specials, I've seen plenty of mages Since 97 till now using weps. So you're wrong yet again.

Wait what is he on atlantic? he's a tank MAGE? Oh so he's a mage, using specials. Okay that was my point. Thank you for agreeing with what I said in the post that you quoted. You just argued for me. My whole point was that MAGES can use WEAPONS. Clearly he kills you as well. That only proves my point more. Mages CAN AND DO USE WEAPONS.

I think you mean the guy with splinter is a mage non-mage.

Again you said it yourself its not that dismounts are over powered you were complaining about once you are dismounted that you should live because...well it seems like you're you and that's good enough for a reason.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correction, it takes more player skill to use than a Bow does... It should be AS good because mages have no OTHER way of dismounting. If they want to make bolas based on magery/eval skill, and hit instantly like a bow would, as opposed to the delay, then yes, I'll gladly take that change. But saying that it should be nerfed simply because it's not based on an in game skill is ridiculous. Dexxers/Archers/Throwers don't NEED to have the dismount special, but they do. Why should mages be denied one? It should be as good as it is now, because it's close to as good as the alternatives right now. But do I have to prove that it should be AS good as what the non-mages have? Why don't you prove why it shouldn't be as good? I mean, I'm at least making the argument of balance. What's your reason as to why it should be nurfed? I mean, shouldn't we start with the idea of balance, and then work out all the nooks and crannies of how things "should be" afterwords?

And no, it will be completely useless. Because if you're playing a mage and you know that if you go on foot and put yourself on a dismount timer just for a 20% chance of putting someone else on foot, it will not be worth it. Again, trade offs.
Again its not their only way. You keep ignoring the fact you could put that on your template.

It's still not going to miss 100% of the time. So for no skill why should it be AS good? Also player skill? You can dodge both so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you think it takes skill to teleport twice after a target? You're making it sound like only 3 players in all of UO can do this. Get real.

Pick up a fighting skill if you are going to cry THAT much about it. Or accept the fact that you will still have a chance to dismount just by carrying an item in your pack that takes no skill points to use, and no mana.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Again its not their only way. You keep ignoring the fact you could put that on your template.

It's still not going to miss 100% of the time. So for no skill why should it be AS good? Also player skill? You can dodge both so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you think it takes skill to teleport twice after a target? You're making it sound like only 3 players in all of UO can do this. Get real.

Pick up a fighting skill if you are going to cry THAT much about it. Or accept the fact that you will still have a chance to dismount just by carrying an item in your pack that takes no skill points to use, and no mana.
Putting a fighting skill on your template isn't a way of giving MAGES the ability to dismount. That's a way of giving TANK mages, or ARCHER mages, or THROWER mages the ability to dismount. Not MAGE mages.

I never said bola'ing was a particularly hard skill that only 3 mages could do; but it does *comparatively* take more skill than dismounting with a weapon.

And why am I the one crying? You are arguing that bola's should be nerfed, I am arguing that they shouldn't. Why aren't you the one crying? After all, you're the one that's unsatisfied with how things currently are, wouldn't it suffice to say that you are the one crying?

And furthermore why do I need to accept the fact that mage dismounts should be 20x harder than non-mage dismounts? Telling me to accept that is not having an honest intellectual debate on how you think things should be. It's saying how YOU think things should be, and then telling me to stop crying and get over it.

My argument, is that bolas are more than fair the way they are right now. It is pretty balanced in my opinion. YOU are the one who wants it changed. YOU should be able to make an argument as to why it SHOULD be changed. My argument as to why it should NOT be changed is that it will unbalance things. You seem to accept that notion, but yet you don't give any other reason as to why it SHOULD be changed. Instead you keep side tracking and saying things like, "well if you want to put archery on your template, you could." But again, that doesn't answer the question. Why SHOULD bola's be nerfed?

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You mean, only in those instances where you need to teleport after your target.

Regardless this change isn't going to change anything for me, except I'll have another RNG (whoopie do...) chance incase I mistime my self-dismount, that I won't get hit anyway.
Those ethy mounts tho... mmmmh so good.

I'm just trying to see why this change is a bad one, even if the change goes through or not it makes no difference to me.
It's bad because it makes bola's much much worse than other dismounts. It will unbalance the templates even further. Why is it a good one? If it isn't particularly a good change, then why should we change it? If it isn't broke, then why are we trying to fix it?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Other dismounts have a chance of missing. That's all that needs to be said.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Other dismounts have a chance of missing. That's all that needs to be said.
Bolas can miss too. It's not particularly hard to keep up with someone, but it's not particularly easy either if they know how to avoid it. Also, you can remount instantly when you miss with another weapon. With a bola, even if you miss, you're still on foot.

That is why I think it is balanced as it currently is. I disagree that missing dismounts with weapons makes them worse for dismounts, But I'll give you credit Ender; You stuck to the point.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's bad because it makes bola's much much worse than other dismounts. It will unbalance the templates even further. Why is it a good one? If it isn't particularly a good change, then why should we change it? If it isn't broke, then why are we trying to fix it?
Why is it being fixed ?

Well, someone must have said something about it being a little easy to dismount someone with an item from the pack.
It may be just an attempt to discourage people to run around on newbie characters and throw bolas for other guilds? who knows.

Being an item as it is currently (even after pub 86) which allows people to pick up 180-240 (weapon skill + tactics) skill points and invest them into something like Taming/lore for a pet, or other skills for additional spells, while still having an ability to dismount at almost no cost, besides a little bit of risk, which is involved with all forms of dismount.

The thing is though, if you're going to bola someone, you should be thinking before you bola, if the risk of dismounting to use it would be worth it at that point in time.

Why should a necro-mage have the ability to dismount someone with a bola 100% of the time, if said person is on screen when the bola lands, when it takes an archer or thrower mana which they could use to spend on specials that would do more damage than dismount?

I get the whole avoiding dismount, but say for instance, someone is riding an ethy (it does happen), if you throw a bola you think these people should be dismounted 100% of the time?

Anyway, the bola will still be-able to dismount people, at a reduced chance of course. it'll have just as much a chance of dismounting as an archer or thrower would if you manage to get hit chance at 45 on your suit (which isn't really hard if you use shame-jewels) except the range would be further than archery/throwing and melee, it would also not cost any mana.

The dismount mana cost from 20-35 mana for weapon-based dismounts is a pretty big jump, basically it goes from 9 to 16 (With 55% LMC) or 7 to 14 (with the 300.0 combat point bonus & 55 lmc) but not only that, you also need to factor in the double mana cost for specials when they are used in quick succession (3-4 seconds?). so 32 mana for a dismount which would be common as hell for a thrower considering they stun most of the time before they dismount you, and melee dexers need to stun before a dismount most of the time as well.

It's not just a bola nerf, it's an all around dismount nerf.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because the topic at the time WAS my skill.
I assure you, the topic is about Bolas and other related changes in the patch notes, it has nothing to do with your "skill".

I could say I'm the best pvper in all of UO, would anyone care? Well, it would be a sad day if someone did, I'll leave it at that.

ioioio

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I assure you, the topic is about Bolas and other related changes in the patch notes, it has nothing to do with your "skill".

I could say I'm the best pvper in all of UO, would anyone care? Well, it would be a sad day if someone did, I'll leave it at that.
I'm better then you though, lul. Sharing is caring. To be on topic, you could delete bolas for all I care,.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Putting a fighting skill on your template isn't a way of giving MAGES the ability to dismount. That's a way of giving TANK mages, or ARCHER mages, or THROWER mages the ability to dismount. Not MAGE mages.

I never said bola'ing was a particularly hard skill that only 3 mages could do; but it does *comparatively* take more skill than dismounting with a weapon.

And why am I the one crying? You are arguing that bola's should be nerfed, I am arguing that they shouldn't. Why aren't you the one crying? After all, you're the one that's unsatisfied with how things currently are, wouldn't it suffice to say that you are the one crying?

And furthermore why do I need to accept the fact that mage dismounts should be 20x harder than non-mage dismounts? Telling me to accept that is not having an honest intellectual debate on how you think things should be. It's saying how YOU think things should be, and then telling me to stop crying and get over it.

My argument, is that bolas are more than fair the way they are right now. It is pretty balanced in my opinion. YOU are the one who wants it changed. YOU should be able to make an argument as to why it SHOULD be changed. My argument as to why it should NOT be changed is that it will unbalance things. You seem to accept that notion, but yet you don't give any other reason as to why it SHOULD be changed. Instead you keep side tracking and saying things like, "well if you want to put archery on your template, you could." But again, that doesn't answer the question. Why SHOULD bola's be nerfed?
Whats that word you used after Tank, archer and thrower? MAGE. So YES. A MAGE CAN dismount. Sorry but you lost this one, like many other arguments that you've tried in this case. Yes or no, can a mage dismount? Yes or no could you have that ability on a mage? Problem solved already. If you choose to play a template that has this where you have to invest skill points and use mana that's up to you. Vs an item you can carry that requires no skill points, no mana, and a longer range especially if you want to count teleporting.

No you're making it sound like it is a hard skill. You don't think its difficult for a player to dismount when you're limited in tiles vs a bola where you can teleport 2 screens and throw it another 10 tiles on top of that? You're so bias and for whatever reason seem to think this is going to make or break pvp. It won't, now it will be just like all the other dismounts (a chance to miss) but still with no skill points, or mana, and a longer range.

You have not listed a reason why bolas should never miss especially when they take 0 skill points, and no mana, and a longer range. Why should they hit 100% of the time and the way with skill points and mana not? Waiting on that answer.

Quote me where I said they should be changed. You can't because I never did. I'd be fine with or without the change so I couldn't careless. I never took a stance either way on this topic. However I will agree that good points where made and now I'm waiting for you to bring up a good point of your own, you haven't made one yet.

YET AGAIN I'm not the only one that has pointed out that bolas take 0 skill points to use, no mana, and have a longer range. Why should they never miss when the target is on screen in range etc? See points have been brought up especially those 3 just listed, yet you haven't said why they should stay the same with a good counter to those points. You just said things won't be balanced. Also why is that not an option for you to get the skills to dismount? You never answered that either. Everything you have a problem with could be resolved, whether its getting wrestle for disarm, or picking up a fighting skill for dismount. Its on you to do the math and figure out if you really want that or not on your template and know that you'd still be able to bola just not at 100% of the time. You can still do it without investing in any other skills like everyone else does who uses the special.

Perhaps you could write another novel on why you should be able to live 4v1 because you're you and that is a good enough reason.

If you want to prove your point you could play a non-mage non-mage (Archer/ fencing, swords, etc) since they have it so good and make people complain so much they change those damn non-mage non-mages. So overpowered...

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You used to always make these points, and it's idiotic. When you just zero in on the fact that mages don't need a skill for mage weapons, it seems unfair and unbalanced. But when you *LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE* and see that Dexxers/Archers/Throwers still destroy mages 1v1, and that mages STILL can't do damage on the run, meaning that all that someone fighting a mage has to do is keep off-screening every time they get half life until they finally get 10 hits in a row due to rng (I'm exaggerating, they'd win with much less) and win; having a mage weapon really doesn't do anything to change that. I mean if mage weapons are so OP, why do many mages run with wrestle, or weapons? I mean, you complain so much about mage weapons as if you'd like them nerfed, but would you PREFER if mages played with wrestle parry mages instead? lol.

Although I agree with his point, do you see why I mentioned him in my original text wall, in what everyone assumed was me being pompous and arrogant? I was talking about this guy when I mentioned the "noobs that raged here because they can't kill people with two buttons macros." You see how he just insults your character by calling you a fool? I may be pompous, but I feel justified in being so when in the presence of people like him. He plays NOTHING but a blue thrower in yew, and he sucks and cries when anyone off-screens, even if it's a gank and he could use moving shots. Dumb, arrogant, d-bags that don't know how to do anything BUT dismount and cry when it doesn't work, and would rather attack your character than focus on a substantive argument.
1) I generally only play a red thrower

2) You are 100% correct in your first statement about the big picture. Even though sc mage weps are a huge crutch I personally don't have any issues fighting mages using them. I only pointed it out because I know that 98% of todays mages could not pvp without them and that's kinda sad especially when all of those same mages are also the ones here whining about template diversity or lack thereof.
A good experienced field mage can still do quite well against all types of warriors without sc mage weps. They just choose not to because that would mean that they could not simply play only one or two templates and be effective against almost everyone.
You also do make a very good point about switching to wrestle/parry mages lol.
They are just plain silly but at least they force the mage to make template sacrifices that lessen their overall effectiveness against multiple other templates.

3) As good as you(bane)are dueling other mages with almost nothing more then perfectly timed weaken spam you are completely horrendous against any of my warriors and usually cannot even stay onscreen.
That's ok and all cool but please spare me the 2 button macro nonsense because we both know you don't want me to call you out on it with a challenge. Because you would be running for your wrestle and parry soulstones in 2 seconds if you ever tried to fight me with an audience.
A good experienced mage can rock one template at the gate and fight all comers. You cannot

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A private argument unrelated to the publish content has been removed. Would the two posters involved please continue their discussion in private messages and not in this thread.
Thank you.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the bola should be dexterity based , much like parry is, lets say 100% chance at 80 dex , 80% chance at 60 dex and finally 50% chance minimum whatever your dex is ( maybe use same forumla as parrying but add a minimum of 50% whatever dex is at) . Then bolas should be able to be parried that I agree. But having to have 45 hit chance on a mage just to throw a bola seems alot imo. With dex based, you can go alchemy and its not too hard to hit 80 dex. With dex based you dont have to change your whole suit like if it was hci based

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bola definitely needs to have something else tied to it to make it less abused. HCI would be a pretty good addition.
Warriors need to rock maximum hci and dci. Why should most mages have the luxury of only needing max dci and minimal sdi too easily added to any uber suit?
It's obviously not that simple but just one more factor in why bolas need to be tamed in some way

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bola definitely needs to have something else tied to it to make it less abused. HCI would be a pretty good addition.
Warriors need to rock maximum hci and dci. Why should most mages have the luxury of only needing max dci and minimal sdi too easily added to any uber suit?
It's obviously not that simple but just one more factor in why bolas need to be tamed in some way
Warriors need hci and dci ? Hrm, mages need dci, sdi and lrc, to me just that is balanced. Warrior's hci is much like mage's lrc

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Warriors need hci and dci ? Hrm, mages need dci, sdi and lrc, to me just that is balanced. Warrior's hci is much like mage's lrc
Seriously?

So I can buy some amazingly cheap and obtainable things like regs and leave them in my pack to always be at max hci? Where do I get them? Im in!
I will be the first person to say that not having lrc is a pain in the ass but bottom line is that it is still nothing more then a convenience that is quite easily built into all types of uber mage suits.
If I pvp at the gate for 2 hours I usually only die a couple of times so I would have no problem at getting more hci regs each time lol. The girls that do nothing but play field games at chokepoints in dungeons may have other issues though :(

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was also generous in comparing hci to lrc, with 0 hci you can still hit, with 0 lrc good luck casting a single spell. But seriously , do not start arguing about stats that has been here for years, warriors and mage are well balanced. we are talking about bolas now. I think dex based could be a solution ... I do not like the hci based solution tho .. discuss...

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems to me that everyone has a problem with it costing zero mana and taking no skill points and it is ranged further than anything else.

So, I think a good solution would be to make the range the same as a heavy x-bow (maybe less- up for debate)- and have it cost mana if it hits (say base 30? without LMC). Looks like problem would be solved.

Saying you need to tie a consumable that takes no mana or actual skill- to a skill is silly. Then no one should be allowed to use pots unless they have alchemy. Don't forget we would need to tie every other consumable that you can use with a skill to make it all fair.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good points but honestly the mana cost would in reality be of no consequence at all to a mage. And mages abusing them is the issue at hand I believe.
But I do think that severely shortening their range and allowing for a chance to miss at any range is the way to go if hci is not the answer

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The range is absurd as is and I think it should be lowered... I have been hit with someone not even on my screen before.

And there shouldn't be a debate of if *mages* abuse them vs *dexers*.

I have played with really good dexers who would swing a bola at one target, throw their wep back on and dismount someone else at the same time (some even before the bola hit). Talk about over powered. Up the mana and lower the range- it effects all classes equally (for a consumable) and provides a fix. The range is the biggest issue of all.

Do you want people to have cooking on their temp to eat an apple? And then maybe tie that to HLA? (I am being facetious)

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is how they are proposing bola's be. That they hit 50% of the time against someone without DCI. BUT EVERY SINGLE PVPER has 45 DCI. So they would really only hit 34% of the time. They would only hit 50% of the time if the mage got 45 HCI. this means that for the large majority of mages, bola's will only hit 34% of the time, and that's assuming you actually keep up with your target and they don't block your line of sight with a house or something (because again, bola's already aren't that hard to dodge). So that means that EVEN LESS than 34% of all bola attempts will be successful. Maybe, 20% tops. BUT EVERY SINGLE TIME a mage goes to bola, they will instantly be put on a dismount timer in which case they will not be able to remount. Why is it fair that mages should spend 5 times as much time on foot just to keep someone else dismounted?
What I meant was a bola should always hit someone 50% when he doesnt have parry, but 45DCI. And to please you shouldnt be put on dismount timer when the dismount fails.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Being an item as it is currently (even after pub 86) which allows people to pick up 180-240 (weapon skill + tactics) skill points and invest them into something like Taming/lore for a pet, or other skills for additional spells, while still having an ability to dismount at almost no cost, besides a little bit of risk, which is involved with all forms of dismount.
Again, the ability to bola alone is not going to cause anyone to drop weapon skill and tactics. A weapon skill and tactics give you MANY other abilities than just a bola. You still haven't answered my question as to why dismounting should be exclusive to weapons.

Why should a necro-mage have the ability to dismount someone with a bola 100% of the time, if said person is on screen when the bola lands, when it takes an archer or thrower mana which they could use to spend on specials that would do more damage than dismount?
Again, they don't dismount 100% of the time. Not only can people leave screen, but they can dismount themself and then remount when the bola timer goes off.

I get the whole avoiding dismount, but say for instance, someone is riding an ethy (it does happen), if you throw a bola you think these people should be dismounted 100% of the time?
If you can stay on screen with them? Yes. As I've said, dismounting with a bola isn't easier than a weapon. If anything it is harder. Why should dismounting someone on an ethy be easy with a weapon? I mean if people riding ethys is an excuse to nerf dismounts, then why don't we nerf weapon dismounts just as much as bolas? Being dismounted with weapons is at least as easy as a bola, shouldn't weapons be nerfed by that same logic?

Anyway, the bola will still be-able to dismount people, at a reduced chance of course. it'll have just as much a chance of dismounting as an archer or thrower would if you manage to get hit chance at 45 on your suit (which isn't really hard if you use shame-jewels) except the range would be further than archery/throwing and melee, it would also not cost any mana.
No, it won't be as easy. Because people can still leave screen and avoid a bola. That alone will cut your chance in half. And again, at least 19/20 mages don't carry hci, and they aren't going to just for bolas. You are nerfing every one of them, and that means the chance will be reduced even further. Not only that, but when you fail, you will still be on a timer. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this change will nerf bola's to utter uselesness.

The dismount mana cost from 20-35 mana for weapon-based dismounts is a pretty big jump, basically it goes from 9 to 16 (With 55% LMC) or 7 to 14 (with the 300.0 combat point bonus & 55 lmc) but not only that, you also need to factor in the double mana cost for specials when they are used in quick succession (3-4 seconds?). so 32 mana for a dismount which would be common as hell for a thrower considering they stun most of the time before they dismount you, and melee dexers need to stun before a dismount most of the time as well.
Using a bola does cost mana. You need to cast tele. Casting tele twice takes about as much mana as a dismount does. And the double mana cost for spamming specials isn't a good argument, because dismounts also give a damage bonus.

It's not just a bola nerf, it's an all around dismount nerf.
How?

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Covenant, we're referencing a completely different conversation. When he brought up the topic of how long I've played, he was talking about a conversation we had in game a couple of months ago. He was trying to tell me that I'm all hacks and weaken spams, and he referenced a time that he beat me to make that point; to which I replied he beat me a few years ago when I was still a noob. I told him that I've only been playing a few years, and although two years ago might not be a lot in UO time to most players, it's a lot for me because I haven't been playing long.

But yes, it was a diversion from the main subject matter, but in my defense, I'm not the one who brought it up.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm better then you though, lul. Sharing is caring. To be on topic, you could delete bolas for all I care,.
Uhhhh, actually you are probably right around the same level. Actually, Covenant might even be better considering how little you've played.

At least at dueling. I don't know how you guys are in the field tbh.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This

and also till pointing out since revan doesn't have anything to say about the fact that it takes no skill points to use, and costs no mana.
I have perfectly valid arguments for all of those points.

A. You can miss. Actually if the person is good and/or fast you will miss most of the time.
B. On what basis do we make the argument that one should need skill points to use? First off, if we made bola's take 90 magery/eval skill to use, would that somehow make it more fair? No, it wouldn't. But as a matter of fact, if you think about it, it does take skill points to use, because after you use a bola, you need to cast tele if you really want to have a serious chance at dismounting someone. Tele takes magery skill.
C. Tele also costs mana, especially considering you usually have to cast it twice.

To finish my argument, sure, someone doesn't NEED magery to actually use a bola. But if someone gets bola'd by someone that isn't casting teleport, than that is just their own stupidity. This is why I think bolas are balanced AS IS, and that there is no need to nerf them; and I think my points have enough logic to them, where you can't simply claim that I, "have nothing to say" about it.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Whats that word you used after Tank, archer and thrower? MAGE. So YES. A MAGE CAN dismount. Sorry but you lost this one, like many other arguments that you've tried in this case. Yes or no, can a mage dismount? Yes or no could you have that ability on a mage? Problem solved already. If you choose to play a template that has this where you have to invest skill points and use mana that's up to you. Vs an item you can carry that requires no skill points, no mana, and a longer range especially if you want to count teleporting.
Ok, but sorry, I did NOT lose the argument, and saying that I did does not simply make it true lol. Yes, an Archer Mage is an Archer too. But you fail to see the point. Why must dismounts be exclusively viable to Archers, or Dexxers? Why should mages not have their own way of dismounting? A way of which isn't even as effective as the way non-mages use. And as I've said in my other post, it does take skill points and mana to use bola's effectively. You still have to teleport, and if you don't it's not even close to as effective as say an archer's dismounts.

No you're making it sound like it is a hard skill. You don't think its difficult for a player to dismount when you're limited in tiles vs a bola where you can teleport 2 screens and throw it another 10 tiles on top of that? You're so bias and for whatever reason seem to think this is going to make or break pvp. It won't, now it will be just like all the other dismounts (a chance to miss) but still with no skill points, or mana, and a longer range.
Again, I didn't say it's a hard skill. But I also said it's not an easy skill. I think it's good as it is, because it takes just the RIGHT amount of skill. If someone is good, they can avoid bolas the majority of the time. I personally don't get bola'd often, simply because I know when to run. Look, I am a pretty good bola'er, and I still find archer dismounts to be easier and more effective. I dismount and shoot instantly, and if I miss, i just remount instantly and try again when I get an angle on my opponent. One change usually doesn't make or break pvp. That doesn't mean I can't argue thoroughly against it, does it?

You have not listed a reason why bolas should never miss especially when they take 0 skill points, and no mana, and a longer range. Why should they hit 100% of the time and the way with skill points and mana not? Waiting on that answer.
As I've said numerous times, they don't always hit, they do take skill and mana to use effectively, and they might have a longer range, but you can also run sooner being you get a warning. Here me out on this: If they were just as good as dexxer/Archer dismounts without requiring any skill or mana, then why don't dexxers and archers use bolas instead of weapons?

Quote me where I said they should be changed. You can't because I never did. I'd be fine with or without the change so I couldn't careless. I never took a stance either way on this topic. However I will agree that good points where made and now I'm waiting for you to bring up a good point of your own, you haven't made one yet.
You don't need to say it, you've been arguing for the change for pages. If you don't care about the change, why not just stop arguing for it? lol That's not an insult, I'm really just curious. I think I've made some pretty good points, over and over again.

YET AGAIN I'm not the only one that has pointed out that bolas take 0 skill points to use, no mana, and have a longer range. Why should they never miss when the target is on screen in range etc? See points have been brought up especially those 3 just listed, yet you haven't said why they should stay the same with a good counter to those points. You just said things won't be balanced. Also why is that not an option for you to get the skills to dismount? You never answered that either. Everything you have a problem with could be resolved, whether its getting wrestle for disarm, or picking up a fighting skill for dismount. Its on you to do the math and figure out if you really want that or not on your template and know that you'd still be able to bola just not at 100% of the time. You can still do it without investing in any other skills like everyone else does who uses the special.
It's uhhh, quite simple really. People see an argument that on first thought, makes sense to them. But when you examine it further and look at the big picture, it makes sense why things are the way they are. I already addressed the 3 points before mentioned, so I won't repeat. As for the skills to dismount, I did make a perfectly good counter point. But I said that forcing a mage to pick up a weapon skill wasn't fair, I think you missed the point. So I'll be even more specific and clear. Here is my argument. Why should dismounts be exclusive to weapon skills? Why should a mage need a weapon skill to dismount? I think it's safe to say that YOU ignored THAT point.

If you want to prove your point you could play a non-mage non-mage (Archer/ fencing, swords, etc) since they have it so good and make people complain so much they change those damn non-mage non-mages. So overpowered...
As I've already said, I do play non-mages. I play a death striker, and a disarm archer; for two reasons. A. They are currently OP as hell. and B. I like the variety, and yes, I do like playing non-mages as well. Mages aren't the only class I care about, I just think the current state of mages is pathetic. As for your argument about picking up some skills, what you have to realize is that is just all a way of defending yourself against dexxers, and it's a system of dexxers constantly being buffed and mages trying to figure out ways to compensate. The point is, how can mages ever have an advantage when they are constantly on the defensive playing "catch-up"? Not only that, but mages are running out of skill space to compensate for the offenses of gimps. For example: If you give Dexxers 3 Abilities: Abilities A, B, and C; and each one of those Abilities has a way of being compensated for, and that will mean Mages need skills A, B, and C to compensate for them; but mages only have skill space for two of those, that means that dexxers in the end will have an advantage. This is the game in which we currently play. If a dexxer can effectively dismount, and a mage can't, than that's one more advantage you're giving a dexxer. Now if you're giving a Dexxer the ability to dismount (ability A), but the only way a mage can dismount is if he gets some dexxer/archer skill (skill A) then on the surface of things it would appear balanced. That would sound fair. And then if you gave dexxers the ability to disarm splinter (ability B) and then tell mages, well you can easily survive that if you get some wrestling skill (skill B). For every ability, there is a counter skill, or some way of compensating; and all things being equal that would sound like a fair trade off. But all things are not equal, because mages are limited in how many skills they can have. Good luck trying to get wrestling AND archery on a mage. My overall point, is that Dexxers are gaining more abilities, and the abilities that they do have are becoming more effective, and mages are not being given the tools that they need to *adequately* compensate. This is why it is necessary that in anytime we make a decision to change something we need to seriously consider the overall effect it will have on the balance of things. It's not fair to mages if they are constantly playing "catch-up" with dexxers/archers.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol alright. Sorry, but...
Honestly I don't know, why you actually apologize. All these "wall of text" and TLDR statements are just plain stupid. This is a forum and not an image gallery or whatever. It is about reading and writing ones opinions.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Honestly I don't know, why you actually apologize. All these "wall of text" and TLDR statements are just plain stupid. This is a forum and not an image gallery or whatever. It is about reading and writing ones opinions.
Oh really? Becuase I thought it was about sharing information and idea's, as well as adequately arguing why things should be one way or another?

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
A good experienced field mage can still do quite well against all types of warriors without sc mage weps. They just choose not to because that would mean that they could not simply play only one or two templates and be effective against almost everyone.
You have to understand something too though, using a Mage weapon is also not without it's trade offs. You're not just sacrificing some mod space on the weapon and jewelery, you are also sacrificing your ability to use specials, and maybe some damage with a weapon (if you include both skills). My friend Sedric still plays a tank mage, and he does quite well on one, but his template has some pretty serious weaknesses that most non-mages don't have. Like if he get's dismounted? well, he doesn't have anything other than spells and pots for survival. No bandages, no ninja, no parry, no wrestling, no pets, etc. But again, if you look at the big picture, the fact that non-mages still wreck mages 1v1 even with mage weapons, I think mage weapons are more than fair. This might have been a good argument during like the Samurai Empire, or Age of Shadows when Dexxers weren't nearly as good as they are now, but they are.

They are just plain silly but at least they force the mage to make template sacrifices that lessen their overall effectiveness against multiple other templates.
*shrugs* I can agree with that.

3) As good as you(bane)are dueling other mages with almost nothing more then perfectly timed weaken spam you are completely horrendous against any of my warriors and usually cannot even stay onscreen.
That's ok and all cool but please spare me the 2 button macro nonsense because we both know you don't want me to call you out on it with a challenge. Because you would be running for your wrestle and parry soulstones in 2 seconds if you ever tried to fight me with an audience.
A good experienced mage can rock one template at the gate and fight all comers. You cannot
You sound like your son now lol. You can't say it's perfectly timed, and then call it a spam lol. A spam means it's used frequently and random, and there isn't much strategy to it. Not only that, but I'm willing to bet that I can can beat 95% of UO in pure mage duels without even using weaken/feeblemind. Don't believe me? Get your son to duel me and I'll prove it. I imagine he's better at dueling than maybe 9 out of the average 10 people.

As for me running, Of course I run in the field against a thrower. Running doesn't make one bad. Actually, knowing when to run is a skill in itself. But last I checked you also ran from me a bunch of times, which btw, I don't think you're bad for. It was smart because you would've died. At the end of the day, if I didn't kill you, it's because A. I play a 15 sdi mage which does sh*t for damage, and you probably ran in a house. And Yes, I can kill most people on a 15 sdi mage, which btw, is very hard, because unlike a thrower, I can't do damage to someone while I run like moving shots. I also don't have mortals. And btw, Yes, I do want you to call me out on it. As a matter of fact, I'd be more than willing to duel you, Mage vs. Thrower on foot. Be more than willing to call me out in the gen chat when you are online.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have perfectly valid arguments for all of those points.

A. You can miss. Actually if the person is good and/or fast you will miss most of the time.
B. On what basis do we make the argument that one should need skill points to use? First off, if we made bola's take 90 magery/eval skill to use, would that somehow make it more fair? No, it wouldn't. But as a matter of fact, if you think about it, it does take skill points to use, because after you use a bola, you need to cast tele if you really want to have a serious chance at dismounting someone. Tele takes magery skill.
C. Tele also costs mana, especially considering you usually have to cast it twice.

To finish my argument, sure, someone doesn't NEED magery to actually use a bola. But if someone gets bola'd by someone that isn't casting teleport, than that is just their own stupidity. This is why I think bolas are balanced AS IS, and that there is no need to nerf them; and I think my points have enough logic to them, where you can't simply claim that I, "have nothing to say" about it.
No you're wrong. You're talking about dodging which can be done vs the dismount special AND the bola. Everyone is talking about if you had someone stand on screen and throw 100 bolas they would hit 100 times. If you had someone stand on screen and take 100 dismount shots at them it would not hit 100 times. They are not the same AT all. One NEVER misses, we're not talking about the ability to dodge since both can be dodged.

Why would it be magery and eval? That doesn't make sense dexers can use bolas and infact some of the best dexers i've seen DO use bolas. Its not a mage only item yet for some reason you're acting like it is. Also you dont NEED to teleport. The way you're making it sound is if you don't teleport the bola won't be thrown. Don't be stupid please, I know i'm asking a lot on that.

Also you keep acting like after this patch you can't use them still for no skill points and no mana. That's not the case there is just a chance you'll miss. If you like them that much you could put hci on your suit. Again if you use them that much its up to you to decide if eats etc are more important than hci if that's what they were in this case. Once again no one is forcing you to change your suit, but its an option if you want to. OR you can keep the same temp you have and STILL have a chance to dismount someone.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Exactly that's why you shouldn't apologize...
Oh, you are criticizing them for criticizing me? I thought you were saying that MY walls of text statements were stupid; as in the walls of text them self were stupid. Sorry.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Seriously?

So I can buy some amazingly cheap and obtainable things like regs and leave them in my pack to always be at max hci? Where do I get them? Im in!
I will be the first person to say that not having lrc is a pain in the ass but bottom line is that it is still nothing more then a convenience that is quite easily built into all types of uber mage suits.
If I pvp at the gate for 2 hours I usually only die a couple of times so I would have no problem at getting more hci regs each time lol. The girls that do nothing but play field games at chokepoints in dungeons may have other issues though :(
Ok, mages don't NEED LRC, but it should suffice to say that the way things are currently is fair. Mages DO carry LRC because there's nothing better for them to have, and that way they don't get overweight, run out, or need to get more when they rez. Either way, when you currently look at the overall picture, the trade off of LRC for HCI is a pretty fair one.

I'm sorry, but if you think someone is a "girl" for laying fields in a dungeon fight, you are clearly biased against mages.
I mean, isn't there a reason you ONLY play a thrower?

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It seems to me that everyone has a problem with it costing zero mana and taking no skill points and it is ranged further than anything else.

So, I think a good solution would be to make the range the same as a heavy x-bow (maybe less- up for debate)- and have it cost mana if it hits (say base 30? without LMC). Looks like problem would be solved.

Saying you need to tie a consumable that takes no mana or actual skill- to a skill is silly. Then no one should be allowed to use pots unless they have alchemy. Don't forget we would need to tie every other consumable that you can use with a skill to make it all fair.
This is an excellent point. But I would say, if you're going to make it have the range of a heavy x-bow, you should also make it instant as opposed to the delay, in which case it would work just like a heavy x-bow. The reason being, is if you're only going to give it the range of a heavy x-bow, it will be nearly impossible to bola anyone that runs even with tele's.

But as I've said, I've already pointed out the trade offs, and I think it's more than balanced as is, and I still don't understand why anyone wants it nerfed to begin with?

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
120 focus 0 med
Total Regen (Non-Mediable Armor):
1.6700 Mana/Sec
(74% of Max)
Total Passiv Regen (Mediable Armor):
2.0450 Mana/Sec
(56% of Max)

120 focus 20 med
1.6917 Mana/Sec
(75% of Max)
Total Passiv Regen (Mediable Armor):
2.2167 Mana/Sec
(61% of Max)
Oh, one more thing I forgot to add to this point. You are specifically comparing the usefulness of a LMC suit on a mystic, which I'll admit, probably is worth the trade off, although it's not as much of a bonus as you say. But IMO, that trade off just makes up for the fact that you don't have med, which most non-mystics do. When you have a medable suit with Med, your MR is far far better.

120 focus 20 med, 150 Intelligence, 15 MR
Total Regen (Non-Medable Armor):
1.6581 Mana/Sec
Total Passiv Regen (Medable Armor):
2.1831 Mana/Sec

20 focus 120 med, 150 Intelligence, 15 MR
1.2100 Mana/Sec
2.6125 Mana/Sec

Point being, it only really helps mages that would otherwise have terrible mana regeneration anyway.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, but sorry, I did NOT lose the argument, and saying that I did does not simply make it true lol. Yes, an Archer Mage is an Archer too. But you fail to see the point. Why must dismounts be exclusively viable to Archers, or Dexxers? Why should mages not have their own way of dismounting? A way of which isn't even as effective as the way non-mages use. And as I've said in my other post, it does take skill points and mana to use bola's effectively. You still have to teleport, and if you don't it's not even close to as effective as say an archer's dismounts.

Again, I didn't say it's a hard skill. But I also said it's not an easy skill. I think it's good as it is, because it takes just the RIGHT amount of skill. If someone is good, they can avoid bolas the majority of the time. I personally don't get bola'd often, simply because I know when to run. Look, I am a pretty good bola'er, and I still find archer dismounts to be easier and more effective. I dismount and shoot instantly, and if I miss, i just remount instantly and try again when I get an angle on my opponent. One change usually doesn't make or break pvp. That doesn't mean I can't argue thoroughly against it, does it?

As I've said numerous times, they don't always hit, they do take skill and mana to use effectively, and they might have a longer range, but you can also run sooner being you get a warning. Here me out on this: If they were just as good as dexxer/Archer dismounts without requiring any skill or mana, then why don't dexxers and archers use bolas instead of weapons?

You don't need to say it, you've been arguing for the change for pages. If you don't care about the change, why not just stop arguing for it? lol That's not an insult, I'm really just curious. I think I've made some pretty good points, over and over again.

It's uhhh, quite simple really. People see an argument that on first thought, makes sense to them. But when you examine it further and look at the big picture, it makes sense why things are the way they are. I already addressed the 3 points before mentioned, so I won't repeat. As for the skills to dismount, I did make a perfectly good counter point. But I said that forcing a mage to pick up a weapon skill wasn't fair, I think you missed the point. So I'll be even more specific and clear. Here is my argument. Why should dismounts be exclusive to weapon skills? Why should a mage need a weapon skill to dismount? I think it's safe to say that YOU ignored THAT point.

As I've already said, I do play non-mages. I play a death striker, and a disarm archer; for two reasons. A. They are currently OP as hell. and B. I like the variety, and yes, I do like playing non-mages as well. Mages aren't the only class I care about, I just think the current state of mages is pathetic. As for your argument about picking up some skills, what you have to realize is that is just all a way of defending yourself against dexxers, and it's a system of dexxers constantly being buffed and mages trying to figure out ways to compensate. The point is, how can mages ever have an advantage when they are constantly on the defensive playing "catch-up"? Not only that, but mages are running out of skill space to compensate for the offenses of gimps. For example: If you give Dexxers 3 Abilities: Abilities A, B, and C; and each one of those Abilities has a way of being compensated for, and that will mean Mages need skills A, B, and C to compensate for them; but mages only have skill space for two of those, that means that dexxers in the end will have an advantage. This is the game in which we currently play. If a dexxer can effectively dismount, and a mage can't, than that's one more advantage you're giving a dexxer. Now if you're giving a Dexxer the ability to dismount (ability A), but the only way a mage can dismount is if he gets some dexxer/archer skill (skill A) then on the surface of things it would appear balanced. That would sound fair. And then if you gave dexxers the ability to disarm splinter (ability B) and then tell mages, well you can easily survive that if you get some wrestling skill (skill B). For every ability, there is a counter skill, or some way of compensating; and all things being equal that would sound like a fair trade off. But all things are not equal, because mages are limited in how many skills they can have. Good luck trying to get wrestling AND archery on a mage. My overall point, is that Dexxers are gaining more abilities, and the abilities that they do have are becoming more effective, and mages are not being given the tools that they need to *adequately* compensate. This is why it is necessary that in anytime we make a decision to change something we need to seriously consider the overall effect it will have on the balance of things. It's not fair to mages if they are constantly playing "catch-up" with dexxers/archers.

No you do not HAVE to teleport, so stop acting like you do. Also you can get scrolls and be a human so it would take literally zero skill points to do. The point is you don't HAVE to teleport. You're really reaching on this one. Also YOU WOULD STILL HAVE A WAY TO DISMOUNT, THEY AREN'T REMOVING BOLAS. So you have options. You can either add a fighting skill or use a bola. For whatever reason you're acting like this change will remove bolas. Sorry but you lost this argument many times over.

They both can be dodged, you didn't bring anything to the table on that one. Sorry. Many of us are telling you the same thing at this point. Try not to bring it up again because it doesn't change the fact that both can be dodged, but only one never misses if the target is there(not dodging) and that's the bola.

I've seen really good dexes use bolas. To answer your question though dexers take a lot more consumables to play, so most will not want to carry the extra weight if they have a way to dismount with their weapon.

Your argument is horrible. First of all you can already have a bola up so there would be no warning. If they did take skill and mana then why can people on noob chars who are completely naked with no stats dismount people? Oh that's right it takes no skill and no mana and there isn't always a warning. There are so many holes in your argument.

You haven't made any points at all. You say things like you wont' be able to dismount after the change - not true. You say you HAVE to teleport - not true (you make it sound like it wont be thrown if you dont), you say it costs mana - not true, i've thrown them and never once has it cost mana to throw the bola. You've said you can't dismount on a mage - Not true, you can get a fighting skill ON A MAGE, its been done before i've seen it from 97 - 2014 with mages using weapons. It does exist.

I'm going to make it very clear one last time. You don't HAVE to get a fighting skill, its up to you if you want one. For some reason you're not understanding that its up to you if you want that or not, just like when you cry about disarm, well stop using a mage weapon then problem solved. Weigh out the options and decide what you want. Also YOU STILL WILL HAVE A WAY, IT'S CALLED A BOLA. It is NOT being removed from the game, much like the special it will now have a CHANCE to miss. Still without requiring any skill points to use or any mana, with a range longer than any special that does cost mana and take skill.

Your last paragraph just argued what i've been saying. You have to decide what you're having the biggest issue with and do whatever you want that suits you best. The way you wrote that up you're making it sound like mages have 720 skill points, and dexers have 1000. Again splinter isn't exclusive to dexers, neither is dismount.
I never said get both archer and wrestling. Also if dexers are that big of a problem for you, get a parry mage. For every issue you have right now, the solution ALREADY exists. No one is twisting your arm telling you what to put on your template. Also this isn't WOW, its not class based where there is a rock, paper, scissor. Almost any template if played right can beat another template. That's what makes UO so different. It comes down to out witting those you're fighting.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again, the ability to bola alone is not going to cause anyone to drop weapon skill and tactics. A weapon skill and tactics give you MANY other abilities than just a bola.
I didn't say it would cause people to drop a weapon skill and tactics, I'm saying they didn't have those skills in the first place, yet they are still able to dismount.

You still haven't answered my question as to why dismounting should be exclusive to weapons.
I don't believe it should be exclusive to weapons, but weapon dismount should be significantly better than a consumable item dismount.
Though it really wouldn't bother me if bolas were removed completely.

Again, they don't dismount 100% of the time. Not only can people leave screen, but they can dismount themself and then remount when the bola timer goes off.
Ok, you can't 'leave screen' vs an archer or thrower, since they dismount instantly upon an attack (IF it hits), but you can still dismount yourself before a dexer attempts to dismount you, it's just harder because of the time frame you have to do so.

If you can stay on screen with them? Yes. As I've said, dismounting with a bola isn't easier than a weapon. If anything it is harder. Why should dismounting someone on an ethy be easy with a weapon?
Currently on production shards, Bolas are better at dismounting players when they're riding ethereal mounts than weapon-based dismounts are, it's simple really, a bola cannot miss.
dexers can.... the bola has a much further range than weapon-based dismounts.

I mean if people riding ethys is an excuse to nerf dismounts, then why don't we nerf weapon dismounts just as much as bolas? Being dismounted with weapons is at least as easy as a bola, shouldn't weapons be nerfed by that same logic?
How would you propose a nerf to weapon-based dismounts as much as bolas? add a delay to them? damn, then they'd be the same as the bola (a consumable), but with additional things like costing mana.... it wouldn't work.

No, it won't be as easy. Because people can still leave screen and avoid a bola. That alone will cut your chance in half. And again, at least 19/20 mages don't carry hci, and they aren't going to just for bolas. You are nerfing every one of them, and that means the chance will be reduced even further. Not only that, but when you fail, you will still be on a timer. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this change will nerf bola's to utter uselesness.
I don't disagree with mages not having Hci (mostly), but you know what, even with 0.0 skill points on your character you would still have a chance to hit someone with a bola.
but It's not impossible to add hci to a mage suit.

Using a bola does cost mana. You need to cast tele. Casting tele twice takes about as much mana as a dismount does. And the double mana cost for spamming specials isn't a good argument, because dismounts also give a damage bonus.
The bola doesn't cost mana, teleport is a completely different thing, and you don't always NEED to teleport after your target when using a bola.

As the patch notes say, "Dismount Base-cost updated to 35 mana (pub 86) from 20 (production)", it was a nerf to weapon-based dismounts as well not just bolas.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, one more thing I forgot to add to this point. You are specifically comparing the usefulness of a LMC suit on a mystic, which I'll admit, probably is worth the trade off, although it's not as much of a bonus as you say. But IMO, that trade off just makes up for the fact that you don't have med, which most non-mystics do. When you have a medable suit with Med, your MR is far far better.

120 focus 20 med, 150 Intelligence, 15 MR
1.6581 Mana/Sec
2.1831 Mana/Sec

20 focus 120 med, 150 Intelligence, 15 MR
1.2100 Mana/Sec
2.6125 Mana/Sec
We're talking about a mystic and in the case you've said you have ninja not med, so putting med in the equation makes no sense at all. Remember how you made it clear that you were trailblazing the way with ninja on your mystic and everyone followed because just like bola-ing and everything else you're the self proclaimed best ever?

You'd have to do the math and figure out what you're casting and factor in saving the 15% on top of all that also. BUT since I'm sure you won't we're just looking at the 20 focus you're giving up ONLY if you're a human and as I pointed out its a joke( .02 mana per second). Also your argument was dexers regen so fast with 55lmc armor. Sooo... lets see

Dexer 100 int 14mr and we'll go with being a human for JoaT focus
1.0542 Mana/Sec
(47% of Max)

Same set up Elf/Gargoyle
0.9443 Mana/Sec
(42% of Max)

Mage 150 int, 120 focus, no joat med counted because of studded and 16mr
1.6700 Mana/Sec
(74% of Max)

I'm not sure how you can say dexers regen mana like crazy when clearly the mage has an advantage of .6 mana per second. That is very much in favor of said mage in studded.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
A lot of this conversation might be better served in a separate thread on the Test forum...

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an excellent point. But I would say, if you're going to make it have the range of a heavy x-bow, you should also make it instant as opposed to the delay, in which case it would work just like a heavy x-bow. The reason being, is if you're only going to give it the range of a heavy x-bow, it will be nearly impossible to bola anyone that runs even with tele's.

But as I've said, I've already pointed out the trade offs, and I think it's more than balanced as is, and I still don't understand why anyone wants it nerfed to begin with?
Just like a heavy x-bow would mean it can miss.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
No you do not HAVE to teleport, so stop acting like you do. Also you can get scrolls and be a human so it would take literally zero skill points to do. The point is you don't HAVE to teleport. You're really reaching on this one. Also YOU WOULD STILL HAVE A WAY TO DISMOUNT, THEY AREN'T REMOVING BOLAS. So you have options. You can either add a fighting skill or use a bola. For whatever reason you're acting like this change will remove bolas. Sorry but you lost this argument many times over.
Ok, if that's the case, let's do a study. You try and bola me without casting teleport again and again, and we'll see how often it goes off. Or you can even while using teleport on a human, which btw, isn't viable because it takes a lot longer to cast teleport on a character with 0 FC. Do you REALLY believe that you can bola effectively without teleport, anywhere NEAR the level of what a Dexxer/Archer can do?

They both can be dodged, you didn't bring anything to the table on that one. Sorry. Many of us are telling you the same thing at this point. Try not to bring it up again because it doesn't change the fact that both can be dodged, but only one never misses if the target is there(not dodging) and that's the bola.
Yes, but one doesn't ever miss if the target is there, but if they do miss they still have a dismount timer, a fair trade off. They can both be dodged? That's my point. That's why they are balanced AS IS.

I've seen really good dexes use bolas. To answer your question though dexers take a lot more consumables to play, so most will not want to carry the extra weight if they have a way to dismount with their weapon.
That's not the reason Dexxers/Archers don't use bolas and you know it.

Your argument is horrible. First of all you can already have a bola up so there would be no warning. If they did take skill and mana then why can people on noob chars who are completely naked with no stats dismount people? Oh that's right it takes no skill and no mana and there isn't always a warning. There are so many holes in your argument.
Even when someone holds a bola, I still know that they are bola'ing, usually because I've seen them use it once before, and second because they are a mage on foot disarmed. So bola's are OP because naked noob chars on foot can use them? lol I'm sorry, but if you get bola'd be noob chars on foot that are completely naked, and you think the solution is nerfing bolas, you need to terminate your subscription immediately, because this isn't the game for you lol. First off, you can kill those noobs practically instantly. Second off, it's tremendously easy to avoid their bolas, they can't even cast tele. Instead of crying about it, learn to play?

You haven't made any points at all. You say things like you wont' be able to dismount after the change - not true. You say you HAVE to teleport - not true (you make it sound like it wont be thrown if you dont), you say it costs mana - not true, i've thrown them and never once has it cost mana to throw the bola. You've said you can't dismount on a mage - Not true, you can get a fighting skill ON A MAGE, its been done before i've seen it from 97 - 2014 with mages using weapons. It does exist.
Saying that bola's will be useless after the change was just the resulting conclusion to my other points. It wasn't really much of a point in itself. As for the teleport and the weapon skills, I've more than adequately argued those points. If you don't get it by now it's hopeless.

I'm going to make it very clear one last time. You don't HAVE to get a fighting skill, its up to you if you want one. For some reason you're not understanding that its up to you if you want that or not, just like when you cry about disarm, well stop using a mage weapon then problem solved. Weigh out the options and decide what you want. Also YOU STILL WILL HAVE A WAY, IT'S CALLED A BOLA. It is NOT being removed from the game, much like the special it will now have a CHANCE to miss. Still without requiring any skill points to use or any mana, with a range longer than any special that does cost mana and take skill.
But you WILL NEED ONE, if you have any intentions of dismounting, because again bola's will be useless. And you SHOULDN'T need one, because that's unfair.

Your last paragraph just argued what i've been saying. You have to decide what you're having the biggest issue with and do whatever you want that suits you best. The way you wrote that up you're making it sound like mages have 720 skill points, and dexers have 1000. Again splinter isn't exclusive to dexers, neither is dismount.
I never said get both archer and wrestling. Also if dexers are that big of a problem for you, get a parry mage. For every issue you have right now, the solution ALREADY exists. No one is twisting your arm telling you what to put on your template. Also this isn't WOW, its not class based where there is a rock, paper, scissor. Almost any template if played right can beat another template. That's what makes UO so different. It comes down to out witting those you're fighting.
If you think that my last paragraph supported YOUR argument as opposed to mine, you must not have really understood it...
Let's put it this way. If I came out you with a gun and some tear gas; and I told you that you had to choose between a gas mask or some body armor; would you say that's fair?

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't say it would cause people to drop a weapon skill and tactics, I'm saying they didn't have those skills in the first place, yet they are still able to dismount.

I don't believe it should be exclusive to weapons, but weapon dismount should be significantly better than a consumable item dismount.

Ok, you can't 'leave screen' vs an archer or thrower, since they dismount instantly upon an attack (IF it hits), but you can still dismount yourself before a dexer attempts to dismount you, it's just harder because of the time frame you have to do so.

Currently on production shards, Bolas are better at dismounting players when they're riding ethereal mounts than weapon-based dismounts are, it's simple really, a bola cannot miss.

How would you propose a nerf to weapon-based dismounts as much as bolas? add a delay to them? damn, then they'd be the same as the bola (a consumable), but with additional things like costing mana.... it wouldn't work.

I don't disagree with mages not having Hci (mostly), but you know what, even with 0.0 skill points on your character you would still have a chance to hit someone with a bola.
but It's not impossible to add hci to a mage suit.

The bola doesn't cost mana, teleport is a completely different thing, and you don't always NEED to teleport after your target when using a bola.

As the patch notes say, "Dismount Base-cost updated to 35 mana (pub 86) from 20 (production)", it was a nerf to weapon-based dismounts as well not just bolas.
You must have wrote up your response during the same time I, I saw back to back posts that look almost identical.

You are spot on and I don't understand why 1 person in the entire thread doesn't get it.

Last edited:

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, if that's the case, let's do a study. You try and bola me without casting teleport again and again, and we'll see how often it goes off. Or you can even while using teleport on a human, which btw, isn't viable because it takes a lot longer to cast teleport on a character with 0 FC. Do you REALLY believe that you can bola effectively without teleport, anywhere NEAR the level of what a Dexxer/Archer can do?

Yes, but one doesn't ever miss if the target is there, but if they do miss they still have a dismount timer, a fair trade off. They can both be dodged? That's my point. That's why they are balanced AS IS.

That's not the reason Dexxers/Archers don't use bolas and you know it.

Even when someone holds a bola, I still know that they are bola'ing, usually because I've seen them use it once before, and second because they are a mage on foot disarmed. So bola's are OP because naked noob chars on foot can use them? lol I'm sorry, but if you get bola'd be noob chars on foot that are completely naked, and you think the solution is nerfing bolas, you need to terminate your subscription immediately, because this isn't the game for you lol. First off, you can kill those noobs practically instantly. Second off, it's tremendously easy to avoid their bolas, they can't even cast tele. Instead of crying about it, learn to play?

Saying that bola's will be useless after the change was just the resulting conclusion to my other points. It wasn't really much of a point in itself. As for the teleport and the weapon skills, I've more than adequately argued those points. If you don't get it by now it's hopeless.

But you WILL NEED ONE, if you have any intentions of dismounting, because again bola's will be useless. And you SHOULDN'T need one, because that's unfair.

If you think that my last paragraph supported YOUR argument as opposed to mine, you must not have really understood it...
Let's put it this way. If I came out you with a gun and some tear gas; and I told you that you had to choose between a gas mask or some body armor; would you say that's fair?
The point everyone is making is that a bola can be thrown by a noob char without casting teleport. So right off the bat you're wrong it CAN be thrown without teleporting.

You can still do it for no skill points, and no mana. That's the trade off.

Why would they carry extra stones? Also I've seen top tier dexers bola. So saying dexers don't bola doesn't make true, but most with ranged will just stick to the 210 skill points they've invested in their template and not worry about the extra stones. The good ones with non ranged fighting skills will make their choice to carry less pots but also carry bolas.

I didn't say I have an issue with being bola'd by noob chars. My point was that a naked char with no skill can throw a bola and not have a warning. You said you HAVE to teleport which isn't true. Also if you stay and kill that char ghosts can throw bolas if it was already in the process of being thrown. See you keep trying to turn it on me when i'm citing examples of why people are saying they have an issue and showing how your argument doesn't hold water. I'm sorry I keep showing you all the flaws in what you're saying and you're bothered by it.

Quote where i've said it will be useless. Oh you you can't because I never said that. Again its up to you if you want to get a fighting skill or stick to being able to use a consumable that takes no skill points or mana to use AND has a longer range.

See you keep saying they will be useless, no they will still work, but much like the special now they can miss. Again all for 0 skill points and no mana AND a longer range.

I'm so glad you used that as your example so I can show you what you have to do with UO. So based on your example I would go like this..Okay well I can wear body armor, and then I just have to worry about tear gas. I know i'm not bullet proof, but I can close my eyes and hold my breath. So then I choose body armor.

See how simple that is? I looked at what would give me the biggest problem and then decided what was best knowing how both would work. Now you do that with UO and stop crying because you can't have your cake and eat it too. Yet again, destroying your argument. This is too easy.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes, but the point is, why should someone need a weapon skill and tactics just to dismount? It seems to me like the ability to dismount on a Dexxer/Archer is just on top of all the other abilities they have with those weapons. They could still bola if they wanted to...

I respect your opinion, but why? Simply because that's how you want it to be? (which is an ok point to make) I prefer that it's slightly worse, but not significantly, which is exactly how I think it is.

True, but you can do the same thing for bolas. Actually, I'd say bola's are easier, because you can predict when the bola is gonna hit based on when they started swinging it. I do it all the time. At least a weapon like a Bow, is hard to predict when they are going to dismount and shoot you.

Yes, but again, bola's can miss, and anyone that is good and/or fast doesn't have a hard time avoiding them.

I actually agree, that's why I think neither should be nerfed. I think if dismounts are a problem at all, it's because gimps can kill you seemingly instantly when you are on foot, due to what I've been arguing is their OP level of burst damage. I don't think dismounts alone are the problem. It's like if you fell down, and got hurt. Maybe if you fell down, it normally wouldn't be a big deal. But if you have osteoporosis (weak bones) now, you might break a bone and make a bad situation terrible.

No, but if you want the bola to be anywhere near as reliable as a dismount with say a bow, you do need to use mana. If you are able to dismount someone without casting teleport, it's usually because they are just plain bad.

True, but when you consider 55 LMC, and skill reductions in mana cost, it's the difference between 7 and 11 mana. Really not a big deal, considering they probably aren't going to dump all of their mana afterwords when they are on foot anyhow. Also considering casting teleport twice costs 7 mana. Trust me, it won't make a big difference. Not like the Bola nerf will anyhow.

ioioio

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Uhhhh, actually you are probably right around the same level. Actually, Covenant might even be better considering how little you've played.

At least at dueling. I don't know how you guys are in the field tbh.
I was being sarcastic, seeing as I play with covenant every time I play UO.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have thrown bolas in many fights and bola-ed many targets without casting teleport. I think you are being very specific in trying to chase someone down and bola them, Revan. I also have held bolas, if you hold it even for two seconds and someone thinks they are going to dodge it by hopping off and on, it will mess them up and bola them.

I also agree that if you want to dismount on a mage- you can pick up a wep skill and dismount. There are plenty of work arounds for what you want to accomplish. The trade off is you would no longer be able to play a mystic as well. Gotta decide what you personally like playing better. I have seen people play mages with wep skills and be very useful in the field.

Bolas range needs to be nerfed, for sure. Much more I am pretty neutral about.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
We're talking about a mystic and in the case you've said you have ninja not med, so putting med in the equation makes no sense at all. Remember how you made it clear that you were trailblazing the way with ninja on your mystic and everyone followed because just like bola-ing and everything else you're the self proclaimed base ever?

You'd have to do the math and figure out what you're casting and factor in saving the 15% on top of all that also. BUT since I'm sure you won't we're just looking at the 20 focus you're giving up ONLY if you're a human and as I pointed out its a joke( .02 mana per second). Also your argument was dexers regen so fast with 55lmc armor. Sooo... lets see

Dexer 100 int 14mr and we'll go with being a human for JoaT focus
1.0542 Mana/Sec
(47% of Max)

Same set up Elf/Gargoyle
0.9443 Mana/Sec
(42% of Max)

Mage 150 int, 120 focus, no joat med counted because of studded and 16mr
1.6700 Mana/Sec
(74% of Max)

I'm not sure how you can say dexers regen mana like crazy when clearly the mage has an advantage of .6 mana per second. That is very much in favor of said mage in studded.
The point was, that your original assertion was that 55 LMC suits help mages just as much as dexxers. But that's not true, because it really only helps Mystics. It may help mystics in the field, as opposed to dueling, because the field is all about bust damage/mana, where as dueling is all about sustained damage/mana. But even if it is somewhat better for mystics, that doesn't mean it's better for ALL mages. And me running ninja on a mystic has nothing to do with that fact. And it's not .02 mana per second. Where did you get that from the calculation?
1.6581 Mana/Sec
2.1831 Mana/Sec

That's not a difference of .02 mana per second. 2.1831-1.6581=0.525 mana per second... 0.02 mana per second means 1 mana every 50 seconds. 0.525 means 1 mana every two seconds. Believe it or not, that's a big deal when it comes to regen, in going with 55 lmc you are sacrificing about 25% of your regen rate. A fair trade off perhaps, but by no means equal to the benefit that dexxers get from 55 lmc. The field is all about burst damage, and 55 lmc isn't going to help a mages burst damage much. It still takes a mage over 2 seconds to cast a flame strike, and they are still going to be able to dump about 6 before they run out of mana. A Dexxer/Archer on the other hand, can now stack about 5-6 different specials at 1.25 seconds a piece before they run out of mana all while doing immense damage.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I was being sarcastic, seeing as I play with covenant every time I play UO.
Well, what would I know, I'm just a hacking weaken spammer right? :)
Oh which btw, if you think changing your TCP settings in your registry to optimize your computer for Ultima Online is cheating using a third party program; why don't you ask it here in these forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.