• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 86.0.1 to TC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
That's a good point about parry but I think your making the wrong assumption. If I was using archery dismount I ... as the dismounter can attempt to dismount someone and will only be forced to stay on foot when I actually do so. I'd guess that if they PARRY a bola the person that attempted to bola them wouldn't be prevented from mounting. It's worth checking though.
No, they would. Because your dismount timer for a bola begins as soon as you target the person with the bola. Not when it actually goes off.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Listen, in another time and place this bola nerf might make sense. But all you're going to accomplish in this is a further nerf to mages. Think about it. First off, as a mage, bola'ing is risky as it is. With 210 stam archers, disarm splinters, 55 lmc and 100 mana dexer/archers, you are really vulnerable when you go on foot as a mage. You not only disarm yourself to do it, but you also have to tele to keep up with your opponent, in which case, you might miss if they are fast, apple your sleep, or turn a corner. But it doesn't matter if it actually goes off, your dismount timer begins as soon as you target them with the bola, so even if you do get them, you are also stuck on foot which seems like a fair trade off. But now you are going to take this ability, and nerf it even more? to the point where despite doing all of this, there will only be around a 34% chance that the bola will actually go off? If the bola chance is based on HCI and DCI, then as a mage with 0 hci, against someone with 45 dci, there will only be a 34% chance that the bola will actually hit them. And if it misses, you're still stuck on foot with a dismount timer and need to re-arm yourself. And that's assuming you even tele fast enough to get the bola.

Now comparatively, we're dropping the dismount timer from 10 seconds to 8 seconds. Do you know what this is going to do? Nothing. Because if I could get away at 8 seconds, I could usually get away at 10 seconds. The circumstances that would keep me from getting away (a weaken spammer, frenzied whirlwind spams, disarm splinter) usually mean I, or anyone else is going to die anyway. This change if anything, is really only nerfing mages, again.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Revan try cool down a little and then rewrite your post in a way useful for the devs, then they may read it. You came of very aggressive and negative.
It's on TC for testing. It do not mean it's already balanced and will hit the shards as it is now.

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Listen, in another time and place this bola nerf might make sense. But all you're going to accomplish in this is a further nerf to mages. Think about it. First off, as a mage, bola'ing is risky as it is. With 210 stam archers, disarm splinters, 55 lmc and 100 mana dexer/archers, you are really vulnerable when you go on foot as a mage. You not only disarm yourself to do it, but you also have to tele to keep up with your opponent, in which case, you might miss if they are fast, apple your sleep, or turn a corner. But it doesn't matter if it actually goes off, your dismount timer begins as soon as you target them with the bola, so even if you do get them, you are also stuck on foot which seems like a fair trade off. But now you are going to take this ability, and nerf it even more? to the point where despite doing all of this, there will only be around a 34% chance that the bola will actually go off? If the bola chance is based on HCI and DCI, then as a mage with 0 hci, against someone with 45 dci, there will only be a 34% chance that the bola will actually hit them. And if it misses, you're still stuck on foot with a dismount timer and need to re-arm yourself. And that's assuming you even tele fast enough to get the bola.

Now comparatively, we're dropping the dismount timer from 10 seconds to 8 seconds. Do you know what this is going to do? Nothing. Because if I could get away at 8 seconds, I could usually get away at 10 seconds. The circumstances that would keep me from getting away (a weaken spammer, frenzied whirlwind spams, disarm splinter) usually mean I, or anyone else is going to die anyway. This change if anything, is really only nerfing mages, again.
Personally... as a MAGE I love the bola change. The thing that is the least amount of fun in UO is getting dismount ganked & this change makes it less likely. If you want to be able to use a bola effectively as a mage it's not going to be that hard to setup a mage character than can do so. I have a 45% HCI Wrestling Stun mage that is getting buffed bc of this LoL. Bola's have always been cheese. The change to 8 Second Dismount is 20% less time.... There's many Times When your dismounted and that last 2 seconds of a timer was the difference between life and death... 20% is 20% .. you cannot argue that it makes no difference.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Personally... as a MAGE I love the bola change. The thing that is the least amount of fun in UO is getting dismount ganked & this change makes it less likely. If you want to be able to use a bola effectively as a mage it's not going to be that hard to setup a mage character than can do so. I have a 45% HCI Wrestling Stun mage that is getting buffed bc of this LoL. Bola's have always been cheese. The change to 8 Second Dismount is 20% less time.... There's many Times When your dismounted and that last 2 seconds of a timer was the difference between life and death... 20% is 20% .. you cannot argue that it makes no difference.
Ok, but the idea of setting up a char just to bola means even more trade offs, on top of the many trade offs that mages already have. Just to what? Have a 50% chance of it going off? Because remember, with 0 hci against a target with 45 dci you have a 34% of hitting them. But even with 45% hci, you chance only goes up 16% to 50%. And that's excluding the chance that you even do get it off. I don't want to insult you here, but a 45% hci wrestle stun mage is a pretty stupid template because that stun can easily be broken with a box. the sacrifices that you need to make for 45 hci could be better used elsewhere. Of course, you are free to play as you choose, but don't advocate the nerfing of an ability simply because it will conform to the template you currently play. Yes, I too don't like being dismount ganked, but this is not the change the we need. This only unfairly nerfs one aspect of dismounts over others. Particularly, mage dismounts. It's not fair, and it's not smart.

And yes, I can make the argument that a 8 second dismount is not much better than a 10 second dismount. Why? You can't look at it in simple terms of 20% less time on foot. That's not how it works. Even after the timer runs out, you are probably still going to be on foot. The real problem is that they can put you on foot, and keep you from remounting really easily. This change does not change that. You can't look at it as a simple 20% reduction in the time spent on foot, because even after that 8 seconds passes, you're still going to be weaken spammed/disarm/splintered/poisoned/para'd/deathstruck/frenzied/bled/etc. If you are not immediately stacked with those things by 8 seconds, chances are you are not going to be hit with them by seconds 9 and 10. If you are hit with them by 8 seconds, you are still going to die.

The real problem is that dexers and archers are much too powerful and can stack as much things as possible as quickly as possible on you. Dismount alone + damage will not kill someone good. The stacking of every single special in 5 seconds time will. Even on a mage, killing someone on foot can be quite difficult if they are good. You have to stop and cast, and stopping to cast anything gives them time to tele/run and bandage/pot/apple/etc. However if you are on a dexxer/archer, killing someone on foot is a real simple matter. They are a sitting duck.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Revan try cool down a little and then rewrite your post in a way useful for the devs, then they may read it. You came of very aggressive and negative.
It's on TC for testing. It do not mean it's already balanced and will hit the shards as it is now.
My post my come off as "aggressive and negative," but what is displays in passion, it does not lack in substance. I mean I did the math to show that frenzied whirlwind is still going to be just as useful. And despite the negative tone that my comments have, they still none the less make sense. If you want to have a reasonable argument about this, I'm more than glad to. But first allow me to explain my displeasure... The problem, is the fact that non-mages (especially archers) are so powerful these days. They have so much mana, hit so fast, and do so much damage. They can literally spam specials on people that are dismounted, and combine effects like disarm splinters. Stuff that mages don't have. Now of course, some of you might say that is an outrageous claim. But in order for you to understand, you have to look at the big picture. The grand scheme of things. And that requires a big history lesson. Ready for a big history lesson?

Age of Shadows: At one point in this game Mages were overpowered. Around Age of Shadows there was 4/6 casting, and they nerfed dexxers by putting caps on everything, including swing speed and by making repetitive use of specials cost more mana.

Post Age of Shadows: Eventually they nerfed mages too and brought the game to a much more balanced state. Dexxers could miss a hit, but mages could also be disrupted. Dexxers could do damage on the run, but mages could cross heal and sync dump. I would say at that point it was pretty balanced, after the post aos-artifact nerf era, although mages might still have had more potential with the right skills, being their interactivity with the environment, cross heals, and versatility. However, since then, this game has done nothing but systematically nerfed mages again and again, while constantly buffing dexxers and archers.

Early Stygian Abyss (pre-mysticism nerfs): Imbuing came out, and mages and dexxers were both able to make suits like never before. Dexxers probably got the better end of the stick with imbuing, being they could stack so many different mods that when combined with other mods have a multiplication effect in terms of effectiveness. If you stack too much of one mod, there is a sort of diminished returns effect. Not that the mods yield less amount, but for example you can only increase your swing speed so much, or your weapon damage so much. But when you can combine those mods you not only swing faster and do more damage, but you do more damage at a faster speed. It's a multiplication affect, not an additive one. Mage mods were more or less committed to providing mages with more mana, no need for reagents, and even though that stuff helps mages in long term fights, it doesn't exactly help them in the short term. It didn't give them more damage output, or the ability to stack unique specials like dexxers/ranged chars have,. 15 SDI before imbuing was real effective when everyone had 100 hp, but once everyone got 25 HPI, and tons of HPR, as well as started using pots, it really became less effective. The reason being is that field fights are all about quick sync dumps, not long sustained fights. Ultima Online is fast paced mounted fights, not slow dismounted warkraft fights, where each ability does maybe 5-10% of your opponents life. The ability to do burst damage and special abilities is much more useful than being able to fight long sustained fights (at least in the open field). Now granted, after imbuing, you could probably still kill most people in the field with 15 sdi, but most people weren't smart enough to know that if you ran/chugged/and appled there really wasn't anything a mage could do to you. But whether you believe imbuing helped mages or dexxers more, it's a good argument to have. It wasn't COMPLETELY Lop sided. So at this point, 15 sdi alone wasn't dominating, but it was at least reliable, in the sense that it's less rng based than playing a dexxer. However, they made mysticism way too overpowered at the time, and mystics in particular were quite powerful with their array of new spells.

Later Stygian Abyss (post mysticism nerfs/pre-reforging/pre-dci nerfs/pre-ninja nerfs): But of course, mysticism was nerfed not once, but many many times, not to the point of nullification, but at least to a much more balanced state. At this point in UO, I would say it was pretty balanced. Mages didn't do a ton of damage, but at least their damage was reliable, and a well timed sync dump could kill most people, and the added benefits of cross heals and fields is always super awesome to have. But I would say that Dexxers/Throwers were generally better 1v1 templates, simply because against a mage all you have to do is run soon enough to survive. A dexxer or a thrower could actually kill you on the run, and if they got lucky with the rng, and hit you every single time, you were pretty outmatched unless you were way better than your opponent. Where as if you were on a mage, if you got lucky with rng and your opponent missed you a bunch of times, they could still just run and avoid your dump. I'm speaking as if both players are equal in skill of course. Now of course, dexxers/throwers all complained about parry mages, and yes if you played a parry mage you probably had somewhat of an advantage over a dexxer/thrower. But that was their war cry as to why mages were overpowered, because they couldn't kill a single template that was specifically made to beat a dexxer/thrower 1v1, a template with significant trade offs might I add. Also, I'd like to point out that was before reforging, so fitting 40 sdi and med on a wrestle parry mage was nearly impossible. And if YOU ever complained that dexxers/throwers were overpowered, their response was always, "well, you can just make a parry mage and it would be OP." Even though that argument was also ********, because wrestle parry mages did **** for damage, and all anyone had to do to survive one was simply run. I always thought it was a little ridiculous to committing 2 entire skills (wrestling AND parry) just to be able to survive against HALF of UO, but when I actually made a wrestle parry mage, I was astonished at how nice it was to play one, because I could actually survive UO's most *overpowered* templates. I wouldn't have played it if I didn't think dexxers/ranged chars were overpowered. I should also point out, that I'm definitely one of the best mages when it comes to fighting dexxers/ranged chars straight up, because I'm good at juking, and timing my spells between their damage, as well as deceiving them into thinking they are safe and then stacking tons of damage on them. But if you wanted to 1v1 a dexxer/thrower on a template you actually enjoyed, like a mystic mage, or a necro mage, you needed 70 dci just to compete. Which made sense, because normally a dexxer with 120 skills would hit a mage with 120 skills at a 50% rate. When they did hit, they disrupted the mage, but when they missed the mage got a spell off. Sure, the mage can juke and cast between the damage and get spells off, but he can't damage on the run like a dexxer could. It was pretty even imo. Although if anything, dexxers had the advantage, simply because it was only one mod that they had to put on their weapon (which they most often had the space for) and mages in response needed to stack a ton of extra dci to cancel it. But that too is another argument to make, and not particularly one that I am interested in. Oh also, the creation of the "focus mage." Yes, it was nice to see pure mages again, and something other than a mystic or a necro mage, but it didn't exactly "buff mages." The focus mage templates were well balanced by requiring that they have limitations to their other skills, as well as having to commit another 15 sdi on the suit to get the extra spell damage. But the focus mage is not without it's trade-offs, and it was far from "over-powered." It was just a little more spell damage to compete with the already massive damage that non-mages had, and in the process you had to make sacrifices, which was fair.

DCI Nerfs: Then, for some stupid reason, everyone decided that overcapped dci, which did nothing but nullify the HLD bonus that all dexxers/ranged chars had to hitting mages, was overpowered. Why? Because for some reason, the dev's decided that mages should not have a way to overcome the sharp competitive edge that HLD gave dexxers/ranged chars over mages. Stacking a bunch of DCI, which took up a ton of mod space and sacrifices, was apparently too powerful, and that HLD should be allowed to hit every time; EVEN THOUGH Mages don't use the HLA mod, because not only can they usually not fit it on their weapons, but even if they did, it would rarely go off because mages don't have HCI. So somehow we decided that HLD should be powerful as hell, but HLA should be utterly useless; and when the players naturally come up with a way to counter HLD, the dev's say it's too powerful. But ok, so they thought overcapped DCI was too overpowered. I could live with that. Then they decided that dismounts, weren't powerful enough. Even though at this point, the game was pretty balanced in terms of sync dumps and dismounts. UO used to be all about the sync dump, even though dismounts were still used. But as the game progressed, non-mages got more mana, shot faster, did more damage, and were playing more competitively. Dismounts started becoming a much more useful way for groups to get kills, especially if you had a group that didn't quite have the group tactics and chemistry to sync dump, it was much easier targeting a person on foot. Dismounts even then, were really effective and would put even the best players in a difficult situation. But competitive players such as myself realized that ninjitsu was a good skill to combat what was probably the single most powerful maneuver in the game (the dismount). So powerful in fact that we committed an entire 100-120 skill points just to combat it. I thought this was really fair, because dismounts were still really powerful, and super effective if you could sync dump a person on foot, but not particularly overpowered where it was still possible to get away. When someone was on foot, 10 seconds was more than enough time for any decent group to sync dump a person, and EVEN if they did get an animal form off, they couldn't do anything but run and chug, in which case you could just follow them and wait for them to unform, to then resume killing them.

Dismount Survival Nerfs: But what happened then? Noobs like Goldberg (Boadi's dad.) complained because his gargoyle thrower (an overpowered template at the time) apparently wasn't powerful enough, because the only thing he knew how to do was dismount (like the guy in the commercial that says, "I pick things up and I put them down") and it wasn't working for him 100% of the time. So he (and others like him) complained and complained in a most illiterate, inarticulate fashion, that they couldn't kill people with 2 buttons (even though they still could have, if they had the skill to sync dump, or pursue the person and keep them from remounting). And like others, rather then articulating clear and coherent points, he provided no substance at all, and did little more than complain and restate the "problem," and then insulted people and called them stupid for not agreeing with him, and for some reason, people listened to him. Then you had people claiming that it violated the rights of Roleplayers, because somehow having ninjitsu on a mage violates the notion of what it should mean to be a ninja in a roleplayers mind (although curiously, why can't there be mage ninjas?)... Their argument was not only does it somehow defy what THEY perceive a ninja *should be* but that the ninjitsu skill was never intended to be made for mages... BUT THAT'S FKING RIDICULOUS! Because UO is FULL of different skills that any player can work up at will! Mixing and matching skills to fit your needs is what is so great about this game, that you have the creative freedom to find practical solutions to the impediments you face. WHO CARES IF SOMEONE WANTS TO PLAY A NINJA MAGE? WHO CARES IF THAT'S NOT WHAT THE SKILL WAS ORIGINALLY *INTENDED FOR*. PEOPLE NOW PLAY ARCHER MAGES. WAS ARCHERY ORIGINALLY INTENDED TO BE MADE FOR MAGES? DOES IT REALLY MATTER IF IT WAS? Anyhow, as emotionally charged as that sounds, I'm really just using all caps to highlight and express the ridiculousness of those arguments lol. But anyhow, all the noobs complained that dismounts weren't powerful enough, because of course, that's the only way they could kill good people without much skill, and the dev's gave them special attention, because of course, they complained the most, and the dev's are "in tune" with the thoughts and concerns of their players; even if their players are raging idiots that would rather complain than find a solution to a more than solvable problem. And thus, the dismount became BY FAR the most powerful ability in the game; to the point where all you need to do is dismount someone and weaken spam them, and there's NOTHING THEY CAN DO. Now of course, critics will say, "well there's invis jewelery." Or "there's always pets." But of course invis jewelery only still even exists in the game because of dupers, and pets are poisoned and killed easily. But you don't even need a weaken spammer. Other substitutes will do the trick, and generally more damage. You can frenzy whirlwind a person, you can bleed a person, disarm splinter a person, and that's all on top of the other stuff that they would otherwise stack on you (death strike/nervestrike/paralyze/mortal/lethal poison/etc). In other words, the stuff that good groups used to stack on a dismounted person really quickly to kill them, before it was even as simple as weaken spamming. THEN came reforging.

Reforging: Reforging really did fk everything up. It did EVERYTHING for dexxers/archers and little if anything for mages. It made the easiest class to play, by far, the most powerful (The Archer); and it absolutely took a sh*t on mages. First off, Mage dueling. Dueling was a slowly dying tradition already (as were several aspects of the game), and the introduction of casting focus to craftable pieces really put the final nail in the coffin. Mage dueling was a fun and unique way of playing Ultima, and it was truly a motivator for a particular community of ultima players that enjoyed to do it. When Stygian Abyss came out, dueling with casting focus was really lame, but the most anyone ever really got was like 10%. It was lame, and most people agreed to duel without it, but even if they did most people didn't consider it a huge deal. But when reforging came out, everyone got suits with max hpr, casting focus, eaters, and 40 sdi; just for dueling! These suits caused a major problem for, and eventually killed dueling for multiple reasons. First off, the more rng based something is, the more the odd's favor the least skilled competitor. Sure, the better competitor will still have the advantage, but not if he doesn't have a good suit! Second off, it not only favors the weaker competitor because the competition is more luck based overall, but it actually hurts the more skilled combatant by particularly adding rng to the most skillful aspect of that competition (disrupting). I can actually lock someone in a poison lock, and keep them from getting a cure because I've developed a series of poison locks, that enable me to damage my opponent while keeping them from getting a cure, and hence a heal. I can disrupt a person 30 times without them getting a single heal, and if you add a 1/5 chance that any given one of those disrupts might fail and result in my opponent curing themself, then chances are they are going to get a CF cure and heal very soon into that cycle; hence you are completely obliterating my strategy and my skills. Not only that, but there's a palliating effect, because not only does a disrupt keep your opponent from getting a spell off, but in keeping them from getting a spell off you are keeping them from THEN disrupting YOU. If they can get a spell off because of a casting focus, they can then disrupt you, which then keeps you from getting a spell off and then disrupting them. It's sort of an Echo effect. Thirdly, you make the competition too strong defensively. If I were to duel myself in a full CF, HPR, eater suit, I suspect neither of me would ever win, despite my complex offensive schemes. And because the suits regen so much over time, it creates a competition that favors someone who does nothing but plays defensively until their opponent is half life, and then tries to rely on some RNG to get some big damage spells off. Fourthly, smaller spells like weaken are severely diminished; because the object of the game is disrupt your opponent while stacking damage, and if any given disrupt is likely to not end in a disrupt, it severely diminishes the effectiveness of those small spells that require precise timing. Where as a Flame Strike that is blundered in at a bad time, can actually be gotten off due to a casting focus, and win that person the match. Also, small spells don't do the damage per second to compensate for the immense hpr and eaters. And that's all aside from the fact that people can get auto cures despite having 0 poisoning skill, which adds even more RNG to dueling and diminishes the effectiveness of complex strategies like poison cycling. Sorry for going on about dueling so much, but you really alienated an entire sub-community and culture of UO. But hey, enough about dueling.

Back to field fighting. Reforging made non-mages suit's 10 times better, where as mages got very little. do you know what I had on my templates? max hpr, 16+ mr, 65-70 DCI. Do you know what I have on my mage suits now? max hpr, 16+ mr, 45 dci, and on top of what I used to have: some casting focus, damage eater, and 50 EP. Casting focus might help with a single spell in a crucial situation, but it usually just buys you a little time in what is already a bad situation. Damage eater doesn't really help when you're getting sync dumped and usually just allows you to recover quickly from a sync dump you would've survived anyway. 50 EP can be really useful on a non-mystic, and can especially help you in a bind when you're lethal poisoned, but again it is something done in response to something else that is really powerful. What did non mages get? Well for example, let's look at disarm archers. My disarm archer got 55 LMC (more than making up for the nerf to moving shot, as well as making all my other specials cost a hell of a lot less mana) and then 100+ mana. On my archer I can essentially spam at least 5-6 specials in a row, and I generally don't even need to do that much. I mean, isn't it a little silly, that my disarm archer has about as much mana as my wrestle parry mage? I mean, my wrestle parry mage has low mana, considering I need to lower intelligence and strength significantly to provide the dexterity necessary to parry non-mage blows. The ironic part is, I can only get about 2 explosion flame strikes (4 spells) before my mana runs out, where as on my disarm archer I can spam AI several more times than that in a row. I made my wrestle parry mage, specifically for sync dumps, which all people need to do to survive is run, and he STILL does less damage per second than my Archer. And my archer can actually mortal, para, and do damage on the run. Now you can say, oh well you don't miss spells like weapon hits. No, but you can get disrupted. And when you're out of mana, you're done. There are no regular shots that still do tons of damage like on an archer. I also got a reforged comp bow that has 50 ssi. Combine that with the SSI on my suit, as well as all the extra stamina courtesy of reforged armor, and I can shoot a bow at max speed. Which btw, not only does more damage per second, but also disrupts mages more. Oh and I have 550 property weight on my bow, which means more room for hit effects. If I could do damage on the run before, I ESPECIALLY can now, that I can spam moving shots over and over again, at 1.25 seconds while still doing tons of damage. It's no wonder it does more than my 40 sdi wrestle parry mage, made specifically to fight it. You want to talk about what was "meant" for the game? well dexxers/archers were never meant to be able to spam specials over and over again. Non-mages always had a bit of an advantage when it came to 1v1's because they can heal WHILE they damage; where as mages have to choose one, and must often sacrifice offense for the sake of staying alive. But now the heals are EVEN FASTER, and when you combine healing with the IMMENSE offensive power that they do, the idea of a mage even staying on screen with a half decent non-mage is a bit outrageous. I mean, the base damage on a bow does more than enough along with the hit effects, and when you shoot it with all those effects at max speed, stacking multiple specials is really just poking a dead guy with a stick. And even if he runs, it's super easy to moving shot someone to death. Then, combine ALL OF THAT with the fact that you can get splinter weapons? Which means plenty of damage + disrupts while slowing your opponent AND stacking another special on with the SAME SWING. Mages have not gotten ANYTHING NEARLY as good as splinter weapons. Disarm Splinters are EASILY one of the most overpowered abilities to ever be in UO. If you disarm splinter someone on foot? Say goodnight, because no matter HOW good they are, they do not stand a chance. A dexxer can run, chug and bandage, but aside from chugging a mage needs to stop to heal, and if they do stop, you can just AI and do even more damage, while STILL disrupting the heal. Archers used to be more support roles. Quick dismounts, and vital mortals, para's, AI's and moving shots made for great teamplay. But now? Archers are all you need. You don't need to sync dump anymore. As a matter of fact, most people are smart enough not to get sync dumped anymore. As a mage, the only thing I'm REALLY good for is cross healing and laying fields/summons, and doing a little damage here or there. Even then, if my teammate gets put on foot, and gets stacked with a million specials at once, a disarm, a mortal, a lethal poison, my heals are basically useless. Even all the noobs realize this by now. ALL everyone does is dismount. And once you're on foot, they know all they have to do is disarm and LP/mortal and if splinter goes off on either of those, you just got turned into a ghost.

That said, the dismount alone is generally not enough to kill someone good. It makes for easy sync dumps but even someone GOOD might be able to get away from that. But when you combine a dismount with all abilities that come so easily, and so fast, because non mages have such speed, so much mana, and so many abilities to stack, it's no wonder that everyone is crying about the dismount now a days. You should have all taken my advice and left ninja the way it was. Or at least nerf it once, and not twice. I mean the nerf to FC/FCR was in my opinion fair to balance it with dexxers. But making it disruptable all together? Well then you're just nerfing EVERYONE's ability to survive the dismount, because most people can fit ninja on their temp if they really needed to. So now, why did I just spend an entire essay explaining how non-mages are overpowered? Because the issue isn't the fact that people are being dismounted. People were always getting dismounted. The issue is that a dismount combined with non-mage abilities (disarm splinter, etc) is what makes survival so insanely hard these days. If you want to nerf the dismount, what you really need to do is nerf non-mages, and un-nerf animal form; because again, the dismount alone isn't enough to kill anyone good. It's stacking it with at least 2-3 other non-mage abilities that makes it nearly impossible to survive (along with the fact that animal form can be weaken spammed). The current proposals are not going to balance anything, I can assure you. The real problem stems from the fact that non-mages are overpowered and can absolutely OBLITERATE a non-mounted target, and animal form is disruptable, meaning all a mage has to do is weaken spam someone to keep them on foot. If instead you made a bunch of small nerfs to non-mages, like nerfing disarm + splinters making the person literally walk, on foot with a bleed effect that does damage and disrupts, and being disarmed leaving them vulnerable to all the following specials to come; nerfing the amount of mana it costs to use abilities so that they can't be spammed, making it super easy to stack a person with tons of damage and multiple abilities to eliminate any chance of cross heals; un-nerfing animal form so that even despite all these things being used against someone on foot, there's still a chance they can get an animal form off (which btw, still doesn't guarantee survival, even AFTER forming). By repeatedly catering to the noobs who cried that dismount ganks weren't easy enough, or that non-mage classes weren't powerful enough (although at the time, archers probably weren't tbh) you kind of brought this problem upon yourselves. I mean, just look at the big picture. You are constantly giving non-mages things to make them stronger, and then giving mages things to defend them self from the now superpowered non-mages. EP diminishes the over-powered-ness of poisoning, but still fails to make it completely useless. Overcapped DCI was a fair way to keep non-mages from hitting non-mages 60% of the time. Animal Form was a fair way to survive the dismount, the most powerful ability in the game and the number 1 way of killing people. Mages started playing wrestle parry mages (I know I have) just so that I know that I can't be disarm splintered. I committed an ENTIRE 240 skill points just to survive something the dev's gave dexxers that is CLEARLY overpowered. I mean, anyone can say that one class is more powerful than another. But if I am bias, it is a hell of a lot less than your average player. I am not a player like Goldberg, who plays one class, sucks at it, and demands that you change it so that I can be more successful. I play Mages, dexxers, AND archers! And all the time actually. Lately I play non-mages much more than my mages because I know mages are doodie in the open field. And btw I greatly enjoy them ALL. But in this case, isn't it obvious? LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE! EP, Overcapped DCI, Wrestle + Parry, Ninjitsu for Animal form + mirror images. *Everything mages do is a response to mitigate the effectiveness of something powerful that non-mages have,* and yet we just keep nerfing away at mages, while we keep on giving the non-mages more and more powerful tools at their disposal. And for what reason? Hindsight is always 20/20, but in this case, I told you so.

P.S. Yes, that did take 2 hours to type up. I am sorry for anyone who actually takes the time to read it lol.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Sorry for writing an essay, but I figured it's a small price to pay to try to keep my favorite game from becoming unplayable.

Is that in a way more useful? I figured if I could actually get people to see the big picture, they might realize what is wrong and make the necessary fixes. The ironic part is I see other people complaining about other stuff, like disarm splinters, and wondering why nothing is being done about them. The irony is that they are inter-related. The problem with these dev's is they are always making changes to fix the symptoms of a problem, rather than fixing it at the source. It would be like if a vampire was feasting on the blood of a person, and their idea of a solution is to give the person a blood transfusion; which might solve the short term problems, but fails to see the big picture, and fix the problem at it's source. These changes might help a little bit, but 2 seconds less on a dismount timer isn't going to stop the dexxers/archers/weaken spammers from "feasting on you" like a vampire when you are dismounted. Think about it. How often do you have an opportunity to remount at 8 seconds, but you can't because the timer is two seconds longer, in which case you wind up dying? Because it usually only happens to me when I'm spamming animal form, in which case, if i can get it off at 8 seconds, i can most probably get it off at 10 seconds anyhow, because it means I don't have someone weaken spamming/frenzied whirlwinding/ disarm splintering me. And do you really think nerfing bola's to the point of utter uselesness is going to solve this? Considering Archers can dismount themselves and shoot instantly, and if they miss they can simply remount in an instant, chase you and try again? I mean you can't honestly think these changes are really going to balance things. These changes are more like, "hey let's just throw some things out there and see if it works." But in reality, they will only alleviate the symptoms, as opposed to curing the problem at it's source; as well as potentially causing some unwanted side affects like making mage bola dismounts useless, and nerfing their usefulness even further in comparison to other templates in the open field.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
WOW, that was long, got half through it, will make it to the bottom later.
I agree, balance have always been an issue. I remember fights did last longer in the past and I remember surviving getting attacked of a group. I also remember fighting to one run out of bandages, regs or pots. It can still happen, but many times a fight is over before it is started.
I can't agree archers always had been powerful, I had been an archer in 16 years. I was overpowered when my arrows back in 1997-98 would follow you around a house and there was a time where my hxbow really did hurt, when I picked the crafted ones that got an high price on my vendor.
I think Archery are fine now, even when I don't fight a lot now, I do ok with my old school template.

Swt Lippy Hippy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
LOL That was intense reading there. Give that guy a raise. Its nice to see someone's passion for the game and express it like that. I am just a crafter but got a lil excited reading on this. I did not know how complicated pvping can be. Thanks for the post. I am still wondering about fishing changes in the next patch... (lol) Fishers have feelings too ! lol Raise the ancient sos drop please ! lol I want more colored nets please. Like the color of the serpents that attack us to add to the mix.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Revan123 I read it all, even though I have no PvP characters - although if I ever do make one, looks like it will be an archer. I gave it a like just because I appreciated the time and effort you put into explaining PvP strategy. I see @Bleak also gave it a like, so somebody who knows what's going on is paying attention.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
WOW, that was long, got half through it, will make it to the bottom later.
I agree, balance have always been an issue. I remember fights did last longer in the past and I remember surviving getting attacked of a group. I also remember fighting to one run out of bandages, regs or pots. It can still happen, but many times a fight is over before it is started.
I can't agree archers always had been powerful, I had been an archer in 16 years. I was overpowered when my arrows back in 1997-98 would follow you around a house and there was a time where my hxbow really did hurt, when I picked the crafted ones that got an high price on my vendor.
I think Archery are fine now, even when I don't fight a lot now, I do ok with my old school template.
If you read the whole thing, I don't say that Archers were always powerful. As a matter of fact, I acknowledge that before reforging and the changes, they were underpowered, and that I actually argued for them to get a buff. Why? Because I'd like to see all classes balanced and made useful, and for there to be options in playing the game. Having the option to play this game in so many different ways is what makes this game fun, at least for me. But instead of one or two, Archers got about 5 buffs, and now they are simply overpowered. I just played mine last night in despise. Orion and I were fighting two guilds constantly outnumbered 2v4, 2v5. I didn't die once (presumably because they were mostly mages and didn't dismount) and I must have gotten literally 20 kills. I was actually getting 2 of them alone at a time and dismounting THEM. I'm complaining about these tactics *BECAUSE I USE THEM* so I know exactly how overpowered they are. I'm not just complaining about one class, because people use it against me. I actually exploit these tactics myself. I'm essentially asking the dev's to nerf ME.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
BTW, I should point out, that most people don't really realize slight inbalances. Because being slight, they are usually quite subtle, and debatable. The dismount for example: even before the nerfs to ninja, and all these offensive buffs that non-mages got, was still probably the most powerful maneuver that you could do at the time. Why? Because Again, in comparison, all anyone had to do to survive a sync dump was know when to run. If you tunnel visioned and didn't see the dump coming, or simply took too long, you got hit and died. The dismount however, is not hard to get off, and it makes it much easier for groups to sync dump a person, and just stack them with specials and damage. It was slightly more powerful than everything else, but I thought that was ok. I wouldn't say it was "overpowered" because there were things you could do to help fight it (like Animal Form). But then people thought Animal Form was overpowered (presumably because it made getting kills actually take some skill), even though it was only done in *response* to a dismount and it still had the 10 second timer which gave people more than enough time to sync their targets, and stack them with specials. The dismount then was as powerful as it should of been. It guaranteed someone to be on foot for long enough for your group to get a good sync dump in. Even if you didn't kill them in a sync dump, you could still kill them if you mortal/lethal poison them, and damage them before the 10 second timer was up. But because a lot of groups weren't good enough to do that, they cried that the dismount wasn't powerful enough, so they nerfed animal form where FC/FCR doesn't affect it, and it can be disrupted. Which btw, How could animal form possibly be overpowered when it was only done in response to something even more powerful, the dismount? So now, not only does the dismount guarantee a group 10 seconds to sync dump someone, but even after that ten seconds is up, they can still ensure that the person doesn't get a way, by having a single person weaken spam, or frenzy spam, or splinter disarm, basically guaranteeing their death. Combine all of this with the super-charged offense of non-mages these days, and is it any wonder people hardly survive dismounts anymore? We paved the way for this. By agreeing to nerf animal form, we basically agreed that dismounts SHOULD BE EVEN MORE POWERFUL (despite it already being slightly unbalanced) and now that every dexxer/archer has a super-powered offense, getting dismounted just means you should get a head start running towards the closest available healer. Also, in not also buffing the offense of mages, and by buffing the defenses of EVERYONE (with reforged armor), we basically nerfed the sync dump (which actually takes group tactics and skill) to the point of nullification against anyone smart enough to run. And that's why I now call this game Dismounts Online. But as far as in-balances go, you know it's bad when the general public starts to the realize the inbalance. Does that mean we should nerf the dismount and non-mages to utter uselessness? No, but we should try to balance it, and that means either nerfing them a bit at the source of their strength, or buffing other's in contrast to a compatible level.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm only an old woman trying to PvP, I had never been good to tactics and my suit may not be maxed out as I play Siege. I do not dismount, it use to be me who got knocked of my tiger. As long I can keep my bandages up and not run out of mana, I'm doing ok. But as I'm rusty, and forget to use my potions, I guess archery is not underpowered at the moment. I hope to see actions back at overland, with the new changes and hope that mean, we again will see PvP around player towns and hunting spots. I hope to get my red color back when more is out in the wilderness. I don't care that much if I die as long I and the one I fight have fun.
I'm to tired to read the whole post now, past midnight my time and this long text with only 10 line breaks just won't let me read it when tired, sorry :)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weaponless implies skill doesn't matter

Actually I thought it implied what it literally said. Weaponless. The weaponless combat skill we have is Wrestling.

Assuming the other posters' tests and statements both are accurate, it seems I was wrong and I was quite, quite glad to be.

-Galen's player

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Ok Revan :)
Mages use one mod for LRC, they could still use regs and get a mod more on the items.

I think most dexxer don't use LRC, even when they on Siege, like me often do have magery for gating and EV for PvM, that give a mod more on the suit.

I do believe imbuing may help dexxers more than mages. And yes, it do give me more mana, shot faster, did more damage, before that, I could not kill most PvP'ers, I could sometimes heal fast enough to stay alive but I did not have enough mana to do enough damage.

I to run alot when fighting, I know when it's time for my bow to shot and then I stop a sec for it to shot, then I move again. I do have resist so para mages or poisoners are not a big problem.
Disarm can be a little annoying, if I not keep distance :p

I guess I need to look a little closer at reforging but yet I had just imbued my bow and then maybe enhanged it after.
I never played a mage, I'm to slow to be a mage :) Way to much tactics to remember for me.

I hear you say, mages need more mana and do to little damage. Maybe it's the mage spells, that need some love. Maybe some need to use less mana and some need to be a little more useful.
Maybe it's not the dexxer that need a nerf, maybe the mages need a little love :)

Phuu, got to the bottom this time. I can see I'm a little outdated with some of the newest skills, mods, tactics and mods.
Now I think it's my bedtime

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Revan
....in order for you to understand, you have to look at the big picture. The grand scheme of things. And that requires a big history lesson. Ready for a big history lesson?
Whether or not you make any good points in that novel I won't know - Personally I never got past your sentence above because of the stench of arrogance.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Revan
Whether or not you make any good points in that novel I won't know - Personally I never got past your sentence above because of the stench of arrogance.
I don't know, Startle. I tried to just focus on the discussion of PvP mechanics and strategy and found it pretty interesting, personalities aside. Shoot, if I ignored all arrogant posts in this forum, it might limit my reading quite a bit, eh?

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
@Revan
I don't seek to imply that I am naturally more intelligent than anyone, although when it does come to pvp mechanics, and the overall schemes that influence outcomes of pvp events, I am very knowledgeable. Maybe I do have some insight that most lack. I admit, it sounds like it could be arrogant, if it was false. But can it be arrogant if it is simply true? Perhaps if you'd give my "novel" a little reading, you might actually agree with me on some points, and possibly even be enlightened to some new points. I think real arrogance lies in not giving it a chance. I don't blame anyone if they don't want to read it because it's super long lol. But don't not read it because of how you think it's going to be. That's judging a book by it's cover.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't know, Startle. I tried to just focus on the discussion of PvP mechanics and strategy and found it pretty interesting, personalities aside. Shoot, if I ignored all arrogant posts in this forum, it might limit my reading quite a bit, eh?
furthermore, you being unwilling to read something, and being open to new points, may in itself be arrogance.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Maybe it's not the dexxer that need a nerf, maybe the mages need a little love :)
This is a point that I expressed in article 4 section 9 (just kidding lol). But no, I did make this point. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me whether the mages get a buff, or the dexxers get a nerfing, so long as it is balanced. I do think however that buffing the mages although it may give them more offensive or defensive power, whatever buff they can come up with probably won't help them when they are dismounted. The only one I can think of is un-nerfing animal form by once again making it un-interruptable, which wouldn't help non-ninja mages, and would also help ninja non-mages; so it wouldn't exactly qualify as a mage "buff". But it would give ALL people the option of sacrificing part of their template to acquire the necessary skills to survive dismounts better. But personally, I think the best possible solution is nerfing the non-mages as well as making animal form non-disruptable once again, while keeping the FC/FCR on it capped at 0/0.

Oh btw, I know you play an archer on siege, and I mean no disrespect, but I don't think we can really judge whether archers are overpowered or not based on how they perform on siege. Although of course Siege's player's opinions should be valued in the outcome, I hope you don't mind me saying that what goes on on siege isn't exactly representative of how things are on most shards.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mages do not need any buffs, if anything Casting Focus should be completely scrapped, it never should have been part of the game anyway we already have protection.

The bola adjustment is fine, if you want to dismount people with a mage, play a tank/archer mage E Z P Z...

You don't see Dexers throwing bolas do you? if you do, they're playing wrong.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Oh btw, I know you play an archer on siege, and I mean no disrespect, but I don't think we can really judge whether archers are overpowered or not based on how they perform on siege. Although of course Siege's player's opinions should be valued in the outcome, I hope you don't mind me saying that what goes on on siege isn't exactly representative of how things are on most shards.
No but every changes made to normal shards do effect Siege, sometimes it almost kill the shard as it is balanced with maxed out imbued items and as many of our dexxers need magery to get around, they may be less powerful vs mages. We do not have any kind of recall other than the crystal portals.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the best possible solution is nerfing the non-mages as well as making animal form non-disruptable once again, while keeping the FC/FCR on it capped at 0/0.
non-disruptable doesn't sound like a great idea. then it would just be stealth archers online :p

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mages do not need any buffs, if anything Casting Focus should be completely scrapped, it never should have been part of the game anyway we already have protection.
how significant is the 12% casting focus cap? I always thought of it as more of a PvM/spawner mod because I wouldn't want to rely on 12% in PvP, but as you say, you'd just run protection in that case for 100%. I agree, though, per your sig...doesn't really allow for much strategy given it's just an RNG proc.

in addition to protection I'd throw in jack of trades attunement/attunement. given mages already had a free 100 pts in a mage wep, as well, casting focus wasn't really needed. but, I don't know about poison immunity. I feel like immunity timers can be useful, but I guess it depends...like there's nothing worse than watching two dexxers duel, and their go to is to disarm, over and over...then run...

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
non-disruptable doesn't sound like a great idea. then it would just be stealth archers online :p
But it used to be non-disruptable... and it wasn't stealth archers online... It worked just fine back then too, except the noobs who only new how to dismount and not sync dump cried that it was too overpowered.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

The bola adjustment is fine, if you want to dismount people with a mage, play a tank/archer mage E Z P Z...

You don't see Dexers throwing bolas do you? if you do, they're playing wrong.
Covenant, you play Lake Superior with a population of 5, and they are all your friends. I mean you run around and fight naked, and every time you die you make the excuse that you were naked; which I'll admit, is a pretty good excuse, BUT YOU CHOSE TO PLAY NAKED! lol. No offense, but I don't think you're really in touch with current gameplay.

But please, if you are going to say something like, "Mages don't need any buffs"; please, first actually play a fully suited mage, in the field, against the many gimped out 210 stam archers. I would suggest Atlantic, because there aren't any on LS, because no one on LS spends half a bil on a suit. There's no need to, because there's no competition, and most people who aren't native to LS think it would probably be a waste to spend a half a bil on a suit over there. No offense, I wish it was otherwise. Also, if you are going to make that statement, you should also give reasons as to why they "don't need any buffs." Just sharing your opinion is nice, but it doesn't make for substantive arguments.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And while the V/V debate rages on, and quest monsters get balanced, and mages and dexxers and archers all get equalized, why in the world can't we break off the loot upgrades and turnin stuffs and put them worldwide already? IMO it would be sweet to see some of this stuff in smallers pubs, but way more frequent.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes right now, we are all waiting. I don't really feel like playing before I get my new loot :p

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And while the V/V debate rages on, and quest monsters get balanced, and mages and dexxers and archers all get equalized, why in the world can't we break off the loot upgrades and turnin stuffs and put them worldwide already? IMO it would be sweet to see some of this stuff in smallers pubs, but way more frequent.
its a huge change. the devs know the loot changes is a very fine line between giving a reason to fight montsters, and flooding the market for 2 months then going back to having no reason to hunt. i wouldnt expect the patch to go live for at least another 3 weeks.

Lightfoot

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Revan
Oh, he's not arrogant. That's just what is looks like to you little people. *chuckles*

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
How many players will quit if they have to wait 3 weeks and how many returning players won't stay.
I have to admit the items Soulweaver posted do look a little overpowered but as I do not hunt this levels of spawn, I don't know if they really are better than the items you get on the shards now. When I look closer of it, I only found a feathered hat at Petra's list I would use.
The levels I do hunt did not look to get as many artifacts as on the shard now. The stuff may be more useful but my crafted items will be better in most cases. Now I'm not so worried for seeing it on Siege, as you don't get to keep your stuff until it break.

Last edited:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For once, we have a publish on TC VERY EARLY, with systems in their infant stages, where we can test and shape it the way it should be....And now you guys want it on Production faster?

Isn't that what we always complain about? Stuff being rushed off TC? So the first time in years they are taking it slow, some of you want to rush it....

Welcome To Stratics - Where Nothing Ever Makes Sense

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many players will quit if they have to wait 3 weeks and how many returning players won't stay.
I have to admit the items Soulweaver posted do look a little overpowered but as I do not hunt this levels of spawn, I don't know if they really are better than the items you get on the shards now. When I look closer of it, I only found a feathered hat at Petra's list I would use.
The levels I do hunt did not look to get as many artifacts as on the shard now. The stuff may be more useful but my crafted items will be better in most cases. Now I'm not so worried for seeing it on Siege, as you don't get to keep your stuff until it break.
Soulweavers testing yielded mostly antiques. the point is for insurance shard antique is very useable / long lasting for pvp. As it is now an antique could basically last forever (in terms of uo a few years)

The amount of antique he got in a few hours is really high compared to the rareity of clean items right now. what he got in a few hours would currently take days or weeks of farming under the current system. like you said, its hard to realize the difference unless familiar with higher end shame loot farming as it now.

Myself, i only farmed shame significantly up until about a year ago when the bubble started to burst. I put in a couple hundred hours tho so have a bit of a familiarity with it. Theres still a healthy market now tho with a few dedicated hunters who really enjoy it. The game needs a healthy market. Not an exclusive or ultra expensive market, just a healthy, unflooded market. Because if it does become flooded there wont be any reason to hunt.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
How many are hunting this hard levels? There will be so many more places worth hunting now. I do believe it may be harder to sell this upper items as many will get something useful them self. It may not be upper but only win on any cost PvP'ers need to use this upper stuff.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For once, we have a publish on TC VERY EARLY, with systems in their infant stages, where we can test and shape it the way it should be....And now you guys want it on Production faster? Isn't that what we always complain about? Stuff being rushed off TC? So the first time in years they are taking it slow, some of you want to rush it....
Amen, Promathia, amen....

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BUT YOU CHOSE TO PLAY NAKED! lol
Haha, actually my naked suit is on GL now... (Yes I xferred that garbage). besides I fight you with many characters on GL. Though I haven't pvped there in close to a month.

But anyway, I don't see why you're trying so hard to get this bola change removed.
Bolas never should have had a 100% chance to hit providing your target is within range and mounted.

Bolas take no mana, and if any skill is required, it's enough magery to teleport after your target to ensure they're within range.
Dexers don't dismount with bolas because it's harder to keep up with their target, so the bola is basically a mage-only dismount even though we get -20/-15 mage weapons to give us a defense of other characters that have skill points invested, in addition we'd also get a Consumable item that dismounts for us?

This change is actually amazing, and I can't believe it didn't happen sooner..

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
how significant is the 12% casting focus cap?
I think the main problem with Casting Focus (besides the fact it's in the game) is there's no cooldown on it, so you could essentially be in protection without a casting speed penalty.

It's unpredictable, so relying on it isn't a good idea, however since 12% (17% - +5 from scribe +12 on the suit) I also believe that Peacemaking Mastery songs exceed the cap in Casting focus as well, If this is true, you'd be able to reach around 24-25% Casting Focus, though while you're pvping having a peacer running the songs and following you around probably wouldn't ever happen (lol).

17% Casting focus, it's getting high enough to almost rely on it Especially if you have poisoning on the same character. thus casting focus on healing spells won't hurt, since you can rely on an immunity proc.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many are hunting this hard levels? There will be so many more places worth hunting now. I do believe it may be harder to sell this upper items as many will get something useful them self. It may not be upper but only win on any cost PvP'ers need to use this upper stuff.
id really have to guess. i know alot of poeple have stopped farming since the time / value isnt really worth it anymore. it was never tons. definitely under 100. might be down to small handful of dedicated farmers.

As always, monster level doesnt matter. a legendary can drop off any mob. a 2mod jewel can be more valued than a crap legendary. alot of poeple got the most useable items off mobs with medium loot pools using high luck.

Thats why this is something the devs are testing carefully. Its not just 20 hardcore farmers, and casual farmers who might spend 1 hour of their weekly gametime actually in revamped loot areas. its everyone, everywhere. 10,000s of hours of loot generation, rather than 100s. That, combined with the more useable mods could destroy a healthy market. If handled well tho it will breath new life into the old content of the game.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But please, if you are going to say something like, "Mages don't need any buffs"; please, first actually play a fully suited mage, in the field, against the many gimped out 210 stam archers. Also, if you are going to make that statement, you should also give reasons as to why they "don't need any buffs." Just sharing your opinion is nice, but it doesn't make for substantive arguments.
Well I thought it was interesting that you'd bring the whole "naked suit" into this part... The whole point of it, is how easy it could be to play a naked Mage. while fighitng other players (mages & dexers) and be able to fight it without constantly losing. sure it's more of an "Items don't make the player" but, it could be used this way as well.

That my friend, would be why mages don't need buffs. keep in mind, this naked suit you're referring too is.

Naked suit.jpg

0% Casting focus, on a non-scribe/non-nox character, using the staff of the magi.
0% EP
18% damage eater.
25 HPI

I'd find it hard to believe a dexer would be anywhere near as effective under the same circumstances.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's unpredictable, so relying on it isn't a good idea, however since 12% (17% - +5 from scribe +12 on the suit) I also believe that Peacemaking Mastery songs exceed the cap in Casting focus as well, If this is true, you'd be able to reach around 24-25% Casting Focus, though while you're pvping having a peacer running the songs and following you around probably wouldn't ever happen (lol).

17% Casting focus, it's getting high enough to almost rely on it Especially if you have poisoning on the same character. thus casting focus on healing spells won't hurt, since you can rely on an immunity proc.
haha (at bard running along). I forgot about scribe bonus, though. hm. well, the way you explained it, I understand what you mean about immunity proc. just got done crafting a luck suit for my friend and I'm doing the last mods at less than 17% and succeeding on the second try on some of them, so yeah...you really never know.

I wonder what would be useful as far as replacing the casting focus mod. maybe just more SDI for scribe, like the bonus plus a mod 10% so that investing in 100 scribe allows you a free mod on rest of suit. then maybe the rest of the casting focus items could be changed to SDI or something else.

for suits I always went for eater as the odd mod (and the shield w/ kinetic, forget the name of those...I think from Gargoyle quest?) but never invested in casting focus because the first few arties with it didn't seem worth building a suit around. I might have to take another look now that they buffed material bonuses on regular crafted stuff.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
(and the shield w/ kinetic, forget the name of those...I think from Gargoyle quest?)
That would be Resonance, which is exactly like casting focus, but for a specific damage type.
for example, Fire resonance of 20% (not sure if there's a cap that's actually reachable with it)
would be 20% chance to not be interrupted while casting, if the damage taken were counted as fire damage.

on a side note, I'm pretty sure when it comes to "weapon based" attacks, regardless of actual damage type, it's always counted as Kinetic.
An example of this would be, 100% fire war fork, though it would hit your fire resistance, Kinetic eater would kick in and heal a portion of the damage done in a short time.

as far as what Casting focus would/could be changed to do, if they had ever done such a thing, I once suggested it could be changed to a soul-charge type proc, and regain a percentage of mana, (I would definitely go for it, if it were to do that), but Soul-charge has a cooldown, I'd imagine Casting focus would probably have a cooldown as well... If it were changed, anyway.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Haha, actually my naked suit is on GL now... (Yes I xferred that garbage). besides I fight you with many characters on GL. Though I haven't pvped there in close to a month.

But anyway, I don't see why you're trying so hard to get this bola change removed.
Bolas never should have had a 100% chance to hit providing your target is within range and mounted.

Bolas take no mana, and if any skill is required, it's enough magery to teleport after your target to ensure they're within range.
Dexers don't dismount with bolas because it's harder to keep up with their target, so the bola is basically a mage-only dismount even though we get -20/-15 mage weapons to give us a defense of other characters that have skill points invested, in addition we'd also get a Consumable item that dismounts for us?

This change is actually amazing, and I can't believe it didn't happen sooner..
GL does not have 210 gimps either. The dexxers/archers on GL are -nothing- like the dexxers/archers on Atlantic.

About the Bola's, of COURSE they should hit 100% of the time. Why? Two reasons. First off, even though they hit 100% of the time, does not mean you are going to hit 100% of the time. Anyone that is smart will run soon enough to avoid a bola, and if you sleep them they can just apple. I rarely get bola dismounted, because I'm smart enough to know when to run away/turn corners on houses or structures that would line of sight them/dismount myself before the bola hits/invis myself/. It's really not hard to avoid a bola hit if you're any good. But even if you miss a bola on someone, you are still given a dismount timer meaning you cannot remount, even though your opponent is still on mount. Considering the chance to miss now, if you nerf bola's to a 34% chance to hit (as almost all mages don't have HCI), and multiply that by the chance of them hitting already. Bola's are ALREADY a less reliable way of dismounting someone than an archer/thrower's dismounts, and if we nerf it further it means that Bola's will be nerfed to the point of complete uselessness. Let's say a person currently has a 50% chance to get a bola off (Which kind of scales with your skill, but yes, people don't actually get them every time, especially with all the houses in yew). times that 50 by .34 and you get a 17% chance to bola. That means that if you currently have a 50% chance of getting your bola off, after these nerfs you will have a 17% chance. Bola's SHOULD have a 100% chance to hit when your opponent is in range and mounted, BECAUSE YOUR OPPONENT ISN'T ALWAYS IN RANGE AND MOUNTED. THEY *RUN* if they are any smart, and YES pursuing them with tele's takes skill and MANA. After you target someone with a Bola, YOU are on a dismount timer whether it hits or misses. Unlike non-mages, if you miss your bola, you can't remount like on the other classes. Not only that, but Bola's let your opponent's know it's coming. It's not instant, and there is not only a timer, but a warning message. There is no element of surprise. That's why they are hard enough to get off already. And nerfing bola's to hell, is only nerfing mages even further; because as you said, Dexers typically don't dismount with bolas. It's only fair that mages have their own way to dismount. Why should non-mages be the only one's that can dismount? Because mages use mage weapons? That's the same ******** people used to rage about, and you can't just look at that simple fact. You need to look at the big picture. Mages are ALREADY at a disadvantage against Dexxers. Don't believe me? I'll transfer a 210 stam archer to GL and we can 1v1. I can beat you pretty easily on a mage covenant, I PROMISE YOU I will absolutely destroy you on a dexxer. Imagine if mages DIDN'T have mage weapons? Wrestle templates would be the only viable one's. Mages using mage weapons is not an excuse to nerf to ANYTHING on mages, because as it stands, dexxers are already better in the open field, including at dismounts. Throwers and Archers dismount instantly. the shoot, or throw, in an instant and if it hits, their opponent is dismounted. If they miss, they simply remount and try again. On an Archer (which is the class that needs to be nerfed most) it is an instant dismount, and an instant remount if you miss. Mages don't have anything as easy as that.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Well I thought it was interesting that you'd bring the whole "naked suit" into this part... The whole point of it, is how easy it could be to play a naked Mage. while fighitng other players (mages & dexers) and be able to fight it without constantly losing. sure it's more of an "Items don't make the player" but, it could be used this way as well.

That my friend, would be why mages don't need buffs. keep in mind, this naked suit you're referring too is.

View attachment 23081

0% Casting focus, on a non-scribe/non-nox character, using the staff of the magi.
0% EP
18% damage eater.
25 HPI

I'd find it hard to believe a dexer would be anywhere near as effective under the same circumstances.
But it is not "easy" to play a naked mage lol. You don't actually play a naked mage on GL, you play your fully suited mages. And if you do, you play on a blue stealth mage, otherwise you'd get killed nonstop, all day. You DO NOT survive 1v1 against ANYONE, because every time I've seen you on the naked mage, you are constantly dying, and again making the excuse that you were on a naked mage. Sure, UO is still very skill based, but in many cases Items DO make the player. There are so many non-mages that give me a challenge, that really shouldn't have a chance, and if they were on a mage they would not have a chance. I am not just the best mage dueler in the game, I am also quite possibly the best mage at 1v1'ing dexxers; and I'm telling you, Dexxers are far better at 1v1'ing mages. If you don't agree, you are severely delusional my friend lol.

Oh, and that's another point. Dexxers are NOT as effective under the same circumstances, because Dexxers are very gear reliant. That is why Gear DOES make the dexxer. On a mage you can maybe damage or heal someone if you can avoid being attacked (as you might on a blue stealther that stays in the guard zone); but the minute someone attacks you, you are screwed.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't want to insult you here, but a 45% hci wrestle stun mage is a pretty stupid template because that stun can easily be broken with a box.
I find it funny that you call his Wrest template stupid, but then you go on to complain repeatedly about Disarm Splinters in your "essay". You do realize that Wrestlers are practically immune to Disarm, right? Not only that, but they can do it right back. They also have access to an ample amount of SDI from Spellbooks. Dexxer has you Dismounted with Splinter on you? Disarm punch him, heal through the bleed DoT, and you're fine.

PEOPLE NOW PLAY ARCHER MAGES. WAS ARCHERY ORIGINALLY INTENDED TO BE MADE FOR MAGES? DOES IT REALLY MATTER IF IT WAS?
Hehe. Archer/Mages aren't anything new. http://www.wtfman.com/flash/commovie.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.