• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 86.0.1 to TC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
What part aren't you getting that it's not skill vs skill with bolas? One takes skill points, the other is a consumable. Both take "player skill". Watch Revan focus on this first sentence and avoid the two below where he has nothing to say about it. I'm calling it like Babe Ruth.
Lol, no? As a matter of fact, I'm going to do quite the opposite. I've already addressed that first statement a million times, just like in my last post. I'm going to stop retyping and just quote old things I said because apparently you're missing the points.

The whole point everyone is making and you keep avoiding is that if you have two characters standing still to test this out and throw 100 bolas, it will hit 100% of the time.
Ok, but you see the lapse in your cognitive reasoning? In reality, PEOPLE DON'T STAND STILL. In reality, PEOPLE RUN. And when you try to bola them, they have PLENTY OF TIME TO RUN. You are giving a seriously over-simplified example and using that as your evidence as to why bola'ing is overpowered. But this isn't an ideal world, this is reality, and in reality people don't stand still.

If you then have a dexer try to dismount someone and count how many times the person on mount who is just standing there is dismounted it will not be 100% of the time. Just to be clear since we're talking both chars with 120 in a fighting skill or with a mage wep, 45 hci vs 45 dci etc. In addition to misses for the dexer, a mage could passively parry with a mage wep if you want to factor that in as well with the two characters that are just sitting on screen for this test.
Yes, but when a dexxer DOES get a hit off, it doesn't then give the person a message that they are about to be dismounted and several seconds to get out of range/line of sight/dismount themselves. That's the TRADE OFF, and it's a fair one if you ask me.

No matter how you slice it the bola hits 100% of the time, the dexer does not. We're not talking about dodging as both can be dodged.
A bola does NOT hit 100% of the time. And as far as "dodging" goes, that depends on what you consider a dodge. Yes, a dexxer/archer/thrower can MISS a hit, but you can also run out of range of a Bola and there is a warning. But here's the thing you don't understand: If you are STRAIGHT running from a bola, it is much easier to get away from the bola than it is from an another form of dismounting. It is much easier for an archer to cut you off, dismount themself, and then dismount you instantly; where as even if they cut you off with a bola; if you straight run right off the bat, you will most likely get away. Avoiding a bola mostly comes down to reaction time, and if you react quickly, you will most likely get away. BUT EVEN IF THAT FAILS you can still turn a corner line of sighting the bola'er or dismount yourself quickly and remount. THAT'S THE BIG PICTURE. THAT'S WHY IT'S FAIR AS IS.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Well said and right to the point.

I highly doubt that any impartial pvper could present a valid argument as to why bolas should not be nerfed in some way.

Nobody is saying make bolas useless or impossible for a mage to effectively use in the field. They just need to be toned down a bit. Do not require mages to completely overhaul their template or suit to use them but just make it so they aren't so brutally effective on all mage templates with no real sacrifice at all. Because being on foot is not truly a sacrifice as all practical dismounts come from being on foot.

Why not start with a small adjustment such as slightly lessened range and a % to whiff?
No need to try and hit a home run on the first update and really screw things up for months imo
Goldberg has made this argument before, and one thing everyone fails to realize, is that the people on these forums do not represent the community in large. As a matter of fact, most hardcore pvpers generally don't like posting unless it involves non-stop trolling lol. But if you look at the amount of people that post here, compared to the game's population, the opinions expressed here are subject to a very high margin of error.

As for bolas, they are NOT overpowered. If you think that they are, you simply aren't doing enough to avoid them. I used to HATE being bola'd when I was a noob, because I got bola'd the majority of the time. UNTIL I learned to avoid them... That's why I'm telling you, they are NOT overpowered. If you include the currently proposed changes, they WILL be nerfed to uselesness. That I guarantee.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I will try to get back to this thread and clean it up when I have time. Not tonight though. Ya might get lucky and another Mod has more energy or a day off tomorrow and fixes this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.