• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Red pickaxe/shovel *Spoiler*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are poor working headless slaves for that evil wizard, mining ore and gems for him...i would slay HIM 24/7 but leave the poor little headless alone...poor little boyz...*shrugs*
I always suspected it was the unseen evil wizard from Dragon's Lair.

-Galen's player

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I MCed 2 accounts killing the miners on two different shards for over 2 hours and never found anything.... maybe im being punished for cheating alittle.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
A guildmate is right on doing this and killed 170 miners yet, didnt get nothing up to i write this..

*Edited* - 250 kills and no drop - this is for Pacific btw..

Last edited:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It took two days of casual farming.. hated killing the harmless miners but I did want one..
I would guess maybe 6 or 7 hundred to get the drop..

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
*Falls from Chair*

Do you think the system counts the kills of each char or isnt there any system behind this..what you think

Last edited:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That makes two rare shovels I have.. Can anyone tell why the other is rare?

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Ludes and congratulations!! So there is hope afterall !! :banana:

OK. I decided to try but many other players occupy the area for long periods of time. I finally got two turns in the past two days. Nothing yet but I thought of something ...

How long did it take you Ludes....in kills or time i dont mind hehe
My latest theory is:

As soon as it spawns, KILL the headless miner before it can use its shovel

If the headless gets a chance to use the shovel in his pack, the lesser number of uses remaining on a 1337 shovel might cause it to change into a red shovel with 8 to 14 uses remaining.

(amazing what things we can think of when something refuses to happen in this game ... )

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's totally RNG.. I was only there for about 20 minutes today when I finally scored one..

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Picture Myphsar please. And without the assistance of various interesting features of image editing software.
Look at Myphsar's house with shovel - photos taken and posted here by DJad and devil99.
Confirmed - whitout mouse over - the pure picture]
Myphar'a shovel, both in DJad's picture and Devil99's, look golden? Not like the shovels in Lucas's photo. Hmm - -

I can sure understand why Petra Fyde asked for a picture .. without assistance of magiic editing software. I am suspicious always. One can do serious work on those labels and label anything as they choose: EG:

Take a label like this one :

Cut the above into two sections. Move those sections onto a bigger canvas.
like this one:

Then add a line from elsewhere like this one:

and you would get this one:

I am puzzled by the slight color of emerald in the bottom RH corner of that frame.

I've been watching too much CSI

Last edited:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe, maybe not..... But why would anyone go to that much trouble just to bs people? Just sayin...
Some people think tricking others is funny. Manipulating photos isn't hard nor time consuming when you know how. I was showing what is possible. But I don't believe anyone manipulated those photos or I would not be continuing to find a shovel 1337 nor planning a visit Europa to see Mythar's shovel and see if it is a different color on his shard from what might be found on other shards.

Last edited:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok

so the LEET miners (elite) now have a shovel.
so the question is..... what does a elite miner mine..... and where does an elite miner mine that elite item?

from one mystery to another, hmmmm

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
LOL, just log onto the shard, run up from th gate und you will see it with your own eyes - no photoshop - but i like your CSI Story and Shovelgate hahahahahah

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, just log onto the shard, run up from th gate und you will see it with your own eyes - no photoshop - but i like your CSI Story and Shovelgate hahahahahah
When you were posting the above, I was already in Europa walking a very old character named Jade a long ways to Brit Gate to gate to Moonglow.

To bring up the label the mouse highlights the shovel destroying the actual color of the shovel - -

- - rather than cut/paste the label, I took another screen shot and zoomed in to get this close up of the shovel..

zzz - gravitates towards the headless miners mining cave.. wondering about a RED Shovel I found in one of GrimmOmen's Killer Pumpkins last Halloween --which I left laying on the ground. Later I saw one like it advertised for sale, priced at a billion UO gold. *scratches head* ..

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I am going NUTS here - after i collected the first 200 red/orange shovels and pickaxes, i stoped that and reached 250 kills something now...will i realy have to kill those poor guys 24/7 and have luck someday? Nobody on Pacific yet got a drop and we do this now from and up to server maintance...as a team...because you get totaly crazy in the head if you do this alone for more than 2 hours LOL

Not sure if serious muahahahhaha

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Then the vampire mongbats walk through and pick them all up. :) Found 5-6 gems on one of the little beasties.
They are horde minions...just watch them if you kill them they will come walking in from the entrance collecting gems on the way.

Good for me because I need gems :)

They are also brainless....some of the gems get stuck in out of reach spots and the *Vampire mongbats* will just stand there trying to get to them...

Last edited:

Lady Bleez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
They are horde minions...just watch them if you kill them they will come walking in from the entrance collecting gems on the way.

Good for me because I need gems :)

They are also brainless....some of the gems get stuck in out of reach spots and the *Vampire mongbats* will just stand there trying to get to them...
Yes, I usually let them walk through and pick them up for me. Then pick them off while they are staring at a wall. :)

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
oh well, back to the first plan, maybe 1-2 hours a week - i dont exactly know how many i killed but it must have been more than 700 - even got 3 virtue item drops - but no shovel or pickaxe..
So, sleep well little headless bastards, you will feel my blade next week again!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
not even 40 in got this.

then another 150 and nothing

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep MCing on 2 different shards... I spent about 4 hours over the past 2 days but with 2 clients thats like 8 hours and not 1 item.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Reported Shard drops:

Europa
Catskills
Sonoma
Great Lakes

I got some peeps on Pac farming so lets see if i get a drop reported here too - i am to bussy right now sorting CAKES so i cant slay that evil Miners acutally ;)

Last edited:

Lady Bleez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Can we start a SHARD drop list pls? Just a simple list of all shards and someone collects the info?
So far i see: EUROPA, and where else?
Good idea. Would love to know if this is even active on all shards. And what if any are the special uses?
So far nothing on Lake Austin (well not for me anyways)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well I've collected at least 60 of each gem, I only spent about 2 hours down there last night though, will head back down there in a bit but so far nothing for me. The gems are nice though :)

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:eyes: Can other players visit Catskills to see your shovels Ludes somewhere locked down? That is, understandably, not an option.
- - jest askin' ... this hunt is getting to me already!
Catskills for me..

Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Sonoma for my pickaxe.

like i said i got it on the 37 or 39th kill, but im up over 300 now and no #2 yet.
ill keep going in there on my down time and report back IF i ever get another.

Lady Bleez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Just to be clear, it was amber/gold when you looted it right? I keep double checking the bodies in case it changes. And sometimes picking the red ones up hoping it will mysteriously change. :(
Yes, I have been in the mines for far to long. With the exception of a few short quick break, I have been at it all day. With no special drop. I am beginning to think it is useless but I am too stubborn to give up.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
did we ever find out if you have to kill miner before he first digs? ie: does his dig change a possible rare to a dude

Alstadt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Just to be clear, it was amber/gold when you looted it right? "

yes its gold before you loot it.

Alstadt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"did we ever find out if you have to kill miner before he first digs? ie: does his dig change a possible rare to a dud"

when i got my pick he was already digging and had a pile of gem around him.

Great Lakes Shard by the way also its locked down at my house just north of the FCB town marker

Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the 'kill them before they hit the ground' is bull, cause with mine i kill a bunch till they are all dead, then i go cruise the forums while i wait for them to re-spawn, then i go back in and kill whats there, rinse repeat.

so the one i got was in no way a fresh new guy, he had probably been sitting there for anywhere from a minute or 2.

and the gold pick was in his body just like the red ones are, just that it wasn't red.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well another 3 hours, 5k gold and a few hundred gems later and still nothing. Maybe ill bring my crafter down here :)

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:eyes: Can other players visit Catskills to see your shovels Ludes somewhere locked down? That is, understandably, not an option.
- - jest askin' ... this hunt is getting to me already!
Sure I can't see why not.
Hopefully this screenshot will help you find my place.. it's basically right on the bay west of Covetious..

Status
Not open for further replies.