• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Red pickaxe/shovel *Spoiler*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a pleasant distraction...
To me it is proof that the devs and EA as a whole have not totally abandoned our game..

Course they can't please all the people all the time.. but they do seem to be trying.
In this day and age anyone that actually tries to earn their paycheck gets my respect.

Coldren.. I think it was exactly as described earlier.. an Easter Egg.

I could be wrong though.. I often am!

Last edited:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No i am Trammy after all this years ;) And i bet if i would say i go to Fel 100% of all PK's will hide there waiting for me since they cant find anyone 99,8% a day to kill huhahahahahha
What shard are you on devil? I'll help ya get one, but you might have to help my newb char on that shard get a rune for Covetious.. and some cheap armor... after all I did have to get it on with some gazers every now and then..

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of those insidious Vampire Mongbats with almost a full life line, came running in, got too close to one of the 5 dead headless miner's bodies I had just killed, swiped something, then ran away. I quickly checked the Miner's Corpse and saw NOTHING was in the coffin. So I chased after that slippery weasel of a Mongbat, and kept firing on it. It turned on me but I managed to kill it and when I checked its corpse, guess what! YES... it had a shovel.

- - a red shovel. *sigh*

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That goes for you too Jade..
Thanks Lude. My schedule holds me up and I don't want to hold you up while trying to help me. It is the reason why I have never been in a guild or let others depend too much on my being on line when they need me. I have to keep leaving the computer unexpectedly. For this quest I try to keep my character on line as long as possible, or find time late at night to play. It just takes longer than most to reach a goal.

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
txs ludes but i have a guild hunting for it yet in my back too you dont have to use your gametime for me even i apreciate yor ofer the fullest!

Last edited:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Lude. My schedule holds me up and I don't want to hold you up while trying to help me. It is the reason why I have never been in a guild or let others depend too much on my being on line when they need me. I have to keep leaving the computer unexpectedly. For this quest I try to keep my character on line as long as possible, or find time late at night to play. It just takes longer than most to reach a goal.
Too late.. I already made a character here and I'm going after it...
Besides, it's fun starting bare on a new shard!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Still haven't gotten one....Tram or Fel side. My Smith is very sad

Lady Bleez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Did Ludes get it? This would lead me to believe that rng really does favor some over others. This is not the first time I have been "bugged/cursed" and not been able to do something. Usually my husband comes in after awhile and does it rather quickly. Guess who's account I am getting on today....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I can confirm Pacific Trammel - a guildmate got the Axe yesterday there....
For me, no drops, not even on Fel...

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This Thread certainly is a spoiler .. but I think this particular quest NEEDS spoiling! It boils down to hard laborious work and staying in a dungeon and on line until you reach your goals - -

Did Ludes get it? This would lead me to believe that rng really does favor some over others. This is not the first time I have been "bugged/cursed" and not been able to do something. Usually my husband comes in after awhile and does it rather quickly. Guess who's account I am getting on today....:thumbsup:
Ludes said it was RNG. I think his presence was essential! Playing this solo doesn't seem to work.

I found the Shovel1337 on Headless Miner's corpse (which I killed) after staying on line in the dungeon for over 12 hours.

Ludes's sudden unexpected appearance in the Dungeon encouraged me to stay on line that much longer than I would have, and he came, just when I was ready to call it night. Had I quit playing before he came, I would have lost the chance to find that shovel. Since he went to such great lengths in an effort to help, I decided the least I could do is stay up and work with him. I am so glad I did! And so glad he came!

I had started up my second computer ( dual autopatch UO doesn't work for me any longer, on one computer, since the last patch) - and when Ludes showed up, I finally logged in a second UO Account character to get some supplies that Ludes's new character would need. When I could see Ludes's newbie was doing okay, I left my character standing in the dungeon doing nothing, while Ludes continued to kill the headless and build up his strength and skill, and went to get him a few neccessities.

I watched what was happening to Ludes on my main computer screen, worried that he could be killed and might need help of course. Later, I saw Ludes standing against the wall, not moving while Headless spawned so I stopped working on my old second computer immediately and took up killing headless on my main computer again.

That's when the shovel showed up on a headless corpse!

It was soon after a few dozen kills, that the shovel with 1337 remaining uses, showed up on one of the corpses I had killed.

When LUDES came back on line soon-after, I was able to tell him I had finally got a Shovel 1337! He went off to Haven to hone his newbie skills. I started hunting for a Pick Axe 1337. haha

So YES! I think Ludes definitely is a LUCKY CHARM or favored by the RNG.

My Advice? I guess you simply need to be there in the dungeon when your number comes up on the RNG. And there is no way of knowing when that can happen so it can take forever or be instant. Luck of the draw. *sigh*

- - going back to try for a pickaxe later ... *giggles*

Last edited:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still haven't gotten one....Tram or Fel side. My Smith is very sad
Are you on Origin Shard?
My turn now. If you like I will try come into your shard and help some time when we can both get together. If I get a shovel while helping, it's yours. Or get a friend too to help when possible, one who already has a shovel or doesn't want one. :)
If you are working with a group of people the odds of you getting the Shovel/pick axe FIRST would be that much worse.

LUDES was out to help and would have given me that shovel had he found it first!

Where else but in UO can this happen?

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
NOT gonna spend 12 hours in a dungeon thank you :/ that's just stupid.

I'll go get my butt kicked in Despise again.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NOT gonna spend 12 hours in a dungeon thank you :/ that's just stupid.

I'll go get my butt kicked in Despise again.

ooophs! :dunce:
I really am one of those ancient UO veterans who enjoy the dumbest things in UO like collecting Glacial Staffs by the thousands .. because I like them. :lol:

Hmmm.. Wanted to try a Signature but snow is a bit bright for here. Wish I had known how to take screen shots years ago. I'll remove this soon.

Last edited:

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
700+ dead Headless Miners and no 1337 shovel or pickaxe - yet. Got two artifacts though... :)

Last edited:

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Thank you! I had luck a few weeks ago, getting a Compassion Sage on the first Controller I killed in Ilshenar. I wish this task would be equally easy. I'm definitely not going for a full set (4 pieces) of these babies, that's for sure! :)

Last edited:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it takes a long time to get a shovel - we get it - let the thread die already - jeez
Patience there, Kojak, Patience.
Look at what I accomplished because of this thread, and the people in posting it!!
I got a useless but ELITE Shove. Ooops .. SHOVEL !!!

Now as others come across this thread, read it out of curiosity, get involved and then aren't able to let this insidiously insane challenge get the better of them, I say, "LONG LIVE THIS THREAD!"
It keeps players paying, playing, posting and socializing.

This is UO!

"If a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Last edited:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it takes a long time to get a shovel - we get it - let the thread die already - jeez
OH LOOK WHAT I GOT when I replied to your post Kojak, it ws was my 2000th post!

Awarded: 21 minutes ago
Babbling Loonie Trophy

I'm no longer Certifiable! :banana: I am a WORDY BIRD who's always busy editing mistakes in my posts, then editing mistakes in my editing, and editing the edited editings' mistakes - - etc etc

Last edited:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The coolest thing is, based on the very slim drop rate of these item, it's very likely other rares drop in areas of the dungeon that no one has found yet
You have something there! There have been times when I thought that way too ..
EG: Parathon Greater Dragon Chests: hunt for hours/weeks/months to get one.
EG: Halloween killing Paragon Killer Pumpkins hoping for a Killer Pumpkin [Paragon] chest - never materialized.
.. so many other hunts .. the turkeys .. glacial staffs .. yes .. possiblilities possibilities that exist ...

- - a Pick Axe 1337 next ..

I just noticed the date this Thread started - - on my birthday. (boy am I observant!)

Last edited:

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OH LOOK WHAT I GOT when I replied to your post Kojak, it ws was my 2000th post!

Awarded: 21 minutes ago
Babbling Loonie Trophy

but of course you got it on a post about posting too much - wouldn't have it any other way ...

Last edited:

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
EG: Halloween killing Paragon Killer Pumpkins hoping for a Killer Pumpkin [Paragon] chest - never materialized.
.. so many other hunts .. the turkeys .. glacial staffs .. yes .. possiblilities possibilities that exist ...

I just noticed the date this Thread started - - on my birthday. (boy am I observant!)
Hi Jade!!!!

Its been awhile..and you know I am still going to be checking for those pumpkins starting tomorrow!!!! And if I do not get it I hope you do

BG

Sept

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone managed to find a pickaxe on ATL yet? I have a couple of shovels so far but no axe, willing to sell or trade one of the shovels for an axe or gold.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I spent 6 hours killing headless miners at Legends yesterday and had no luck getting one of those ugly things. :(
Going back there tonight to keep delivering unjustified justice upon those miners until I get one. :p

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#2825 (since I've been counting) = yellow shovel.
I was wondering if you ever got your shovel 1336 and that was it? CONGRATULATIONS. I didn't read your post correctly long ago. hahah.. too busy celebrating my "babbling Loonie" Title and went off chasing cemetaries for named skeletons.

Last edited:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Jade!!!!

Its been awhile..and you know I am still going to be checking for those pumpkins starting tomorrow!!!! And if I do not get it I hope you do

BG
Have you Died yet to get your Named Skeleton Container? I haven't seen any Skeleton Zombies spawn with your name yet.

OT: I am working graveyards. How is the pumpkin hunt? Are the Masks the same a last year's .. only named differently?
I see interesting bright RED MASKS stuck outside on the walls of an INN found above the Bard's Building and close to the BlackSmith and path leading to the BRIT Cemetary. Was wondering where those come from.

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Have you Died yet to get your Named Skeleton Container? I haven't seen any Skeleton Zombies spawn with your name yet.

OT: I am working graveyards. How is the pumpkin hunt? Are the Masks the same a last year's .. only named differently?
I see interesting bright RED MASKS stuck outside on the walls of an INN found above the Bard's Building and close to the BlackSmith and path leading to the BRIT Cemetary. Was wondering where those come from.
Mesanna dyed masks Jade...

And for the Mask insanity, go here hehe : List of mask names | Stratics: A Career Path in Gaming

I allready gave up to get
backpack.JPG

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Aye, the drop rate is really, really low.
I'd have given up already as well, but that pickaxe is easily the ugliest thing I have ever laid my eyes upon, and thus I desperately need one.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Tram, 1720 luck, killed a little over 600 got me a gold pick axe.

Now has anyone used one? because im gonna get a second one and see if they do anything cool lol (hopefully it summons a minecraft inspired boss that drops super rares...)

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Killer Pumps have no T map drop. Only critters with chance at T maps can have paragon chest as paragon. Maybe this year they will show they have a clue and add T maps as there loot.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what would the value of such an item be? I guess that depends on how much someone would offer. To those people who got them would you sell or are you keeping it after all the grind?

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I get mine I will certainly be keeping it. Selling it or giving it away would be like hitting 120 Spellweaving and flushing the skill on a soulstone.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just thinking if its worth while getting down there myself and hunting away to get one to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.