• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NETWORK] Ultima Online - Classic PvP server is back online!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok.. That makes more sense that Siege never should have been changed.

If that were true, yes, it would be a good start for a classic shard.

The problem is, it's already gone too far down the path to change it back without likely upsetting a portion of it's existing user base.. And I wouldn't blame them.

Sorry man, Siege got a bum rap, but it's too late now.
Ya, i'll tell you the same thing when they delete your home server...

E

Emosocial

Please refresh my memory about blessed items? BTW, your talking out your ass...
Im talking about right now. How many blessed items does your pvp'r have on Siege ? in 99 it was a different story, agreed. But right now its impossible for a new player to get involved, skill up and compete with the players that have multiple blessed items.

Unless that has changed in the last couple of years since the last time that I played there in the stealthfest / tamerfest / archerfest that it was.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im talking about right now. How many blessed items does your pvp'r have on Siege ? in 99 it was a different story, agreed. But right now its impossible for a new player to get involved, skill up and compete with the players that have multiple blessed items.

Unless that has changed in the last couple of years since the last time that I played there in the stealthfest / tamerfest / archerfest that it was.
Are you talking about the faction blessed items that should have never went on sp? Besides them i have none besides clothing...

P.S. I dont even use faction gear lol

And the templates ran on sp are no different then prodo so whats your point?

And how is prodo with EVERYTHING blessed not worse then SP?

Be honest you've never played sp or even been on it have you? How long you been playing because honestly you sound clueless...

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Originally Posted by dupapa
Regardless the fact its only temporary im GOING to invest time in it so it SHOW's that im interested in a Classic shard,

if it takes me playing on a temp shard for a month to get the momentium going for a REAL CLASSIC shard then im game..

people can bash it, but its the ONE OPPERTUNITY to have a voice.....

that to me is worth GOLD
I agree and it's nice to see some enthusiasm, like I said I reopened my account for this, and that says a lot for me to do so. Now about Siege the one thing I actually liked about Siege was the one thing many others didn't seem to like and that was having one character slot, on the one hand yes it could be irritating for some things, but on the other hand it makes it so that no one is self sufficient and there is a need for a community.

Then again with soul stones and the like, I guess it's a moot point. Paying attention to a good deal of threads lately on stratics has shown that the trend is to blame this and that part of the game in a piecemeal fashion and saying this is what's wrong with the game and if the devs only did x then it would fix the game.

The reality is that there are many many issues with UO and they all need addressing, but the one thing I have always thought missing the most was the sense of community that old UO had.

Not so much the pvp, I mean it was great don't get me wrong, but what I miss the most is populated towns, going through brit and seeing the hustle and bustle of the place, the ringing of hammers against iron at the forge all day and most of the night long.

I miss seeing people at the mage shop in brit selling spellbooks and potions, watching the thieves at the bank attempt to get away with anything they could and how funny it was to see a player run a thief down, just all of those little things that you get from having a community.

Now even if we get a Classic shard there is no guarantee any of that will ever come back, but I believe that the reason community like that fell apart was because of the item obsession fostered by AoS, and the rapid skill gain that was introduced later on, anyone who played back in the day will tell you it took a long time to get a GM blacksmith.

So basically it's on us to make this happen, getting the classic shard is one thing, but it's all for nothing without a sense of community to belong to.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya, i'll tell you the same thing when they delete your home server...
Whoa, slow down, Earnhardt.

No one said ANYTHING about deleting a server.

All I said was I agree that what happened to Siege shouldn't have, and that it's too late to change that because changing it would effectively be deleting Siege. Which, clearly, they are not going to.

No need to stab the guy standing next to ya.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

All I said was I agree that what happened to Siege shouldn't, and that it's too late to change that because changing it would effectively be deleting Siege. Which, clearly, they are not going to.
No their just going to slowly ignore it to extinction...how many ppl you think is gonna play sp if there a classic server on one side then sp in the middle...none...

Sp barely gets anything done or let alone anything seperate from prodo shards and that's where the problems started...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you would like a tour of sp and show you what its about pm and ill do that...

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No their just going to slowly ignore it to extinction...how many ppl you think is gonna play sp if there a classic server on one side then sp in the middle...none...

Sp barely gets anything done or let alone anything seperate from prodo shards and that's where the problems started...
.. So you'd rather they essentially wipe Siege to attract classic players, or not have classic at all?

E

Emosocial

Are you talking about the faction blessed items that should have never went on sp? Besides them i have none besides clothing...

P.S. I dont even use faction gear lol

And the templates ran on sp are no different then prodo so whats your point?

And how is prodo with EVERYTHING blessed not worse then SP?

Be honest you've never played sp or even been on it have you? How long you been playing because honestly you sound clueless...
To answer your question I have been playing for 152 months on my oldest account. does that give me more credibility to talk about how things were as compared to what they are?

I think that you are raging hard on SP being neglected and are lashing out in every way possible at whatever it is that UO devs throw out to the public.

I have been trying to make 2 points.

1- that SP is "dying" because it is not appealing to bringing in new players from the production shard player base. My few experiences in starting toons on SP were less than exciting for 2 reasons.
a - the skill gain system is ass
b - the long established players will always have an edge in gear (which admittedly should not have ever been the case)

2- My second point is that this shard is not even close to being the classic shard that they are advertising it as. This is a "lets start siege all over again with some tweaks".
If they wanted to start a true "classic" shard then they need to start with a client that plays at some point before or up until pub 15.

That your home shard is dead and it sucks ? yep. does that mean that you have to act like an ass to anyone else that enters the discussion regarding a classic shard or any other new dev ideal ? nope.

In fact here is the bottom line. UO was murdered with pub 16 and its just amazing that its been left this long to flop around in its death throws. The game is 13 years old and keeps making bad decisions that alienate its current playerbase without attracting new players.

Lets talk about things that need to be fixed. Speed hacking for one. I would say that over my time I have had over 50 guildmates quit due to speedhacking running rampantly. Hell i just came back from a 4 year hiatus due to that very same reason.

Anyway. Make a pub 15 shard and I will gladly give up ALL of my houses, items, suits etc etc to pvp on it.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

All I said was I agree that what happened to Siege shouldn't have, and that it's too late to change that because changing it would effectively be deleting Siege. Which, clearly, they are not going to.

No need to stab the guy standing next to ya.
Your right i just want EA to make your home server whatever is...lets call it ATLANTIC2 and then give everyone a castle and free 120 characters and everyone gets 5 billion gold...and lets see how populated your home server...my point is there taking what sp should have been and not pushing sp aside and whats left for sp? Remind you sp is my home server and ive played over 8 years here so everything ive done and time into sp is wasted because they dont want to do anything with sp but ignore it more...i hope your getting the point truly i do...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.. So you'd rather they essentially wipe Siege to attract classic players, or not have classic at all?
Im saying fix sp...make it as close to classic as possible and that garbage they have so far is not a classic server...

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im saying fix sp...make it as close to classic as possible and that garbage they have so far is not a classic server...
Which, as I just stated, essentially amounts to GUTTING SIEGE to make it anything NEAR classic. Imagine everything you've workd for for 8 YEARS being reverted to Pre-AoS items. No house. Everything you've worked for reverted to something that's usless..

See the problem yet?

You've made it apparent that even though I flat out agreed with you that Siege should never have gone down this path, you're so angry and illogical that you're just lashing out at anyone without any consideration or reason.

And, by the way, your repeated statement that they should shut down MY home shard is moot.. And I'll let you wrap your head around why.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To answer your question I have been playing for 152 months on my oldest account. does that give me more credibility to talk about how things were as compared to what they are?

I think that you are raging hard on SP being neglected and are lashing out in every way possible at whatever it is that UO devs throw out to the public.

1- that SP is "dying" because it is not appealing to bringing in new players from the production shard player base. My few experiences in starting toons on SP were less than exciting for 2 reasons.
b - the long established players will always have an edge in gear (which admittedly should not have ever been the case)

2- My second point is that this shard is not even close to being the classic shard that they are advertising it as. This is a "lets start siege all over again with some tweaks".
If they wanted to start a true "classic" shard then they need to start with a client that plays at some point before or up until pub 15.

That your home shard is dead and it sucks ? yep. does that mean that you have to act like an ass to anyone else that enters the discussion regarding a classic shard or any other new dev ideal ? nope.

In fact here is the bottom line. UO was murdered with pub 16 and its just amazing that its been left this long to flop around in its death throws. The game is 13 years old and keeps making bad decisions that alienate its current playerbase without attracting new players.

Lets talk about things that need to be fixed. Speed hacking for one. I would say that over my time I have had over 50 guildmates quit due to speedhacking running rampantly. Hell i just came back from a 4 year hiatus due to that very same reason.

Anyway. Make a pub 15 shard and I will gladly give up ALL of my houses, items, suits etc etc to pvp on it.
the skill agin has been fixed i would rather go thru rot then gss...sp was never a classic shard is was a vet server...btw with faction gear and imbuing everyone is the same with gear...ive dealth with devs for over 10 years im allowed to be a ass sorry...everything else i agree with you about...

P.S. Since you been playing uo for over 150 months what stopped you from coming over to SP in 1999 since your such a hardcore pvper?

E

Emosocial

ive played over 8 years here so everything ive done and time into sp is wasted........
psssst.... this is just a quick heads up. Nothing related to this game ( or any other online game) is productive. It is a time sink for people that chose it as a hobby. If you wanted to invest time and show returns for it, I would suggest doing some day trading or other type of quick investing.

UO is all pixels. nothing of what you have or do in UO matters in your real life. It seems that this point has gotten by you.

..i hope your getting the point truly i do...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which, as I just stated, essentially amounts to GUTTING SIEGE to make it anything NEAR classic. Imagine everything you've workd for for 8 YEARS being reverted to Pre-AoS items. No house. Everything you've worked for reverted to something that's usless..

See the problem yet?

You've made it apparent that even though I flat out agreed with you that Siege should never have gone down this path, you're so angry and illogical that you're just lashing out at anyone without any consideration or reason.

And, by the way, your repeated statement that they should shut down MY home shard is moot.. And I'll let you wrap your head around why.
No its not moot becuase if youe server population is garbage they might force you to go to a more populated server to shut down your server, its happened in other online games...dont think ea wont do it...i wouldnt be surprised if they forced sp ppl to go to the new "classic" server just to shut down sp...

But dont be so foolish to think your server will never get shut down ...lol...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
psssst.... this is just a quick heads up. Nothing related to this game ( or any other online game) is productive. It is a time sink for people that chose it as a hobby. If you wanted to invest time and show returns for it, I would suggest doing some day trading or other type of quick investing.

UO is all pixels. nothing of what you have or do in UO matters in your real life. It seems that this point has gotten by you.

..i hope your getting the point truly i do...
I've made millions off uo and thousands in real money whats your point? oh ya your wrong again...

Psssst sp community is better than any prodo shard...

E

Emosocial

P.S. Since you been playing uo for over 150 months what stopped you from coming over to SP in 1999 since your such a hardcore pvper?
The friends that got me started and interested in the game played other shards. Pretty simple and compelling wouldn't you say ?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good points made that siege should be reworked into a classic and not make a new shad.
No, it shouldn't. Siege should be all the current additions and areas, with all fell rule set, one bless per person. From there you can alter it to improve the appeal with more characters than one or whatever.

THEN

You should have a classic server, which is pre aos.

Changing siege from what it has always (tried) to be to a classic shard would suck ass. I do NOT want to play a classic shard. I think it would be boring as hell.

But if the shard described above is the template for a NEW shard, that is just a slap in the face to myself and all the other people who have been holding down the fort on siege since it opened. I gotta be honest, I would be very angry if that happened.

If they make a new pvp shard it needs to be clearly different than siege... or HERES A CRAZY THOUGH take some time and ****ing fix siege like we have been waiting for for goddamn years!!!!! GRrrrr

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The friends that got me started and interested in the game played other shards. Pretty simple and compelling wouldn't you say ?
Not at all really...i came to sp in 1999 and havent looked back to my home server since whats your excuse? Was trammel hardcore enough for you to pvp with?

In 1999 all the hardcore pvpers left their home shards to come to the harder vet server the rest well they enjoyed trammel...

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*bookmarks* Welp, I'll definitely keep an eye out on this shard. It might actually get me to rejoin if they let thieves be thieves.

Hope they make perma grey work the way it used to...la

E

Emosocial

But dont be so foolish to think your server will never get shut down ...lol...
Eventually the entire game will be shut down. Apparently the difference is that it appears that you are one of the few that wont know how to handle your real life once you don't have UO to be "infamous' in. What will you do ? You cant take your pixels with you. :)

Tata babe, ill let you keep nerdraging while SP gets loleted.

In the meantime lets get back to the discussion of a real classic Pre-pub 16 classic server.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eventually the entire game will be shut down. Apparently the difference is that it appears that you are one of the few that wont know how to handle your real life once you don't have UO to be "infamous' in. What will you do ? You cant take your pixels with you. :)

Tata babe, ill let you keep nerdraging while SP gets loleted.

In the meantime lets get back to the discussion of a real classic Pre-pub 16 classic server.
Wow putting real life into it now? Fail much? You got my point im satisfied with that...because you have absolutely nothing to say but RL comments...impressive!

C

copycon

I think you need to realize that you are one of the few people who still play SP for a reason and EA is not going to revamp SP for your cause.

SP was originally designed with a specific intention in mind. That intention was to give people a "hardcore" experience and make character development and survival as difficult as possible. The fact that SP was destroyed by bad design decisions and abandoned by players as a result does not change that. You will just need to accept the fact that changing SP would be irrational and leave it at that. So, you can continue to play it in its current form, or make a decision like everyone else did.

I'm fairly certain that if a classic shard is released, it will be done to benefit the community of people who are interested in it, and not the people who still play SP. You are going to have to start back at square one like everyone else who decides to join.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you need to realize that you are one of the few people who still play SP for a reason and EA is not going to revamp SP for your cause.

SP was originally designed with a specific intention in mind. That intention was to give people a "hardcore" experience and make character development and survival as difficult as possible. The fact that SP was destroyed by bad design decisions and abandoned by players as a result does not change that. You will just need to accept the fact that changing SP would be irrational and leave it at that. So, you can continue to play it in its current form, or make a decision like everyone else did.

I'm fairly certain that if a classic shard is released, it will be done to benefit the community of people who are interested in it, and not the people who still play SP. You are going to have to start back at square one like everyone else who decides to join.
I agree sadly...

N

NorCal

And look, they are doing this prototype shard while pushing out new content, Halloween, gifts, boosters etc. So they do have a solid project manager and a solid team that can release this without impacting new content.
Good observation. The only arguement against the classic shard from players that held any weight was the dev time and resources it would take to make a classic shard being taken away from production shards. This hurts that arguement.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

a) They recently changed the skill gain system. It's much much better and faster than it was before. Much cheaper and potentially faster for the hard skills to skill up than other shards.
b) The only thing I can think of thats noticeable at all is the blessed event spellbooks, which really I don't think get used ALL that much, cause most casters use mage weapons. There are no other blessed items, so its the same as any other shard.

Yeah I agree, and that really sucks for us here on siege, especially those of us who spent the vast majority of our UO days playing here (10+ years now for me) to see a new shard possibly getting attention that SHOULD be ours.

Especially when it seemed like for once they were listening to us, making some changes we liked... maybe I am over reacting here, so i'll wait it out, but the prospect really makes me angry.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No its not moot becuase if youe server population is garbage they might force you to go to a more populated server to shut down your server..
Yes.. It's still moot..

Let's see how long it takes you to figure out why.

rareitem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope this shard has champ spawns, I cant see any serious pvp shard without them.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shard of the Dead will remain open for one to two months, depending on the player response.

Sorry EA, but why should a "currently-inactive" player pay to come back for a shard which may well be deleted in a month or two?

The idea is appealing (with some tweaks), but I for one am not prepared to spend money to revive my accounts just to play a version of what I once knew and loved, but which may be cancelled before my subscription runs out?

Make it a shard with a guaranteed 6-month lifespan and I'll sign-up again.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread has seriously gone off point, I doubt it was intended to be a battleground between SP players and those who want a classic shard. I don't want to see SP players lose what they have I just want the option to play classic, honestly I have played Siege but I didn't stay very long because it was a ghost town.

People say it's because everyone stealths well what is the point of that? I get that you could be attacked but correct me if I'm wrong here, I thought people who played on Siege weren't afraid of being attacked.

I actually looked at Siege for a long time as the last bastion of anything good in UO, the only shard that had not been tainted by the poison of renaissance, but I make a character and literally spent a week looking for other people, I found a small handfull of people scattered around here and there but it was by and large empty.

Also I don't know why people seem to be taking this test shard that is being used to gauge interest in a possible classic shard down the line, to mean that the classic shard will have these rules, I mean come on that would be completely preposterous, the devs realize that people who like old school uo like it primarily for the pvp so it makes sense to use a pvp based old style shard to test the waters before committing.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But an "old style" shard wouldn't have new style items on it. In fact the current item system sans insurance isn't very playable... seems pretty "doomed from the start" to me.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He doesn't get it Coldren...

you may need to spell it out.
rolleyes:

Also I don't know why people seem to be taking this test shard that is being used to gauge interest in a possible classic shard down the line, to mean that the classic shard will have these rules, I mean come on that would be completely preposterous, the devs realize that people who like old school uo like it primarily for the pvp so it makes sense to use a pvp based old style shard to test the waters before committing.
The hypothetical argument stems from a business perspective, not a development one.

The business, the ones that don't understand the game but write the checks, don't understand how radically different this shard is from what Classic supporters want. More than that, Siege, another alternative shard, is also not fairing so well.

Without ANY practical knowledge of the game, and strictly counting the numbers, and on the assumption that this shard doesn't blow their minds from a user base perspective.. How would a business man react if Cal went to them and said:

"Hey, we want to try another shard with an alternative ruleset."

ASSUMING Cal or the developers wish to pursue it that is.

It's also odd that this ends in December.. And we're supposed to get an answer from Cal on the classic shard issue BEFORE the end of the year.

Coincidence? Probably.. But an awfully strange one.

And I'm not against the proposition that I am 100% off base. That's entirely possible. It could be just a resurrection of the Halloween server with no point whatsoever than to have fun, and nothing deeper than that. Absolutely possible, and the most probable.

Call me a cynic, but EA has never given cause to assume everything is what it seems. :)

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But an "old style" shard wouldn't have new style items on it. In fact the current item system sans insurance isn't very playable... seems pretty "doomed from the start" to me.
I disagree I think they just threw this together very quickly from the looks of it and said well we have the basic framework (free for all pvp, no insurance etc) and just ran with it to see what kind of population turnout it has.

I'm sure Cal knows there would be a lot more changes involved for a classic shard, but this is not a bad way to test it considering the fact that they are working on a bunch of things at the moment.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is no way in going to gauge the level of interest in a Classic Server.

A Classic Server is going to be based on UO:R PvP System. No Necromancy, No ninjitsu, no artifacts, No Powerscrolls, 700 Cap. Order/Chaos Guilds. No Dismount and no special moves.

If a True Classic Shard was done properly I have no doubt it would draw from players who are playing on the Freeshards. I would actually jump in myself and start PvP'ing again.

When people talk about a Classic Shard what they want is the era of Precasting Mages with Halberds and Katanas. Sorry Warriors but this is was when PvP was at it's finest. Many Warriors started complaining how Mages were overpowered and wanted to level the playing field instead of making a Mage themselves and learn how the hell to fight ...that lead to changes and the end result of what we have here today.

It's no wonder why Zynga (Farmville) now surpassed EA in terms of networth. While the Dev Teams attempts revive and improve UO maybe haven fallen on deaf ears to those of a higher paygrade it's no suprise given how EA has run UO from a business perspective over the last 10 years.

Many simple things such as being able to buy Veteran Rewards from a website that actually works. The problem with UOGamecodes has been going on for how long now? There are always issues with that game site. People literally line up to hand over there money to UO and are turned away.

But that is off topic...

Great content has been added and some fantastic changes have been made over the last 3-4 years and I hope they continue to add more content. On the same token it's a real shame when it comes to how the game could be in terms of having a true Classic Server and a client that actually has decent graphics instead of the lousy legacy/outdated graphics from circa 1997.

C

copycon

Thank goodness. Keep your insurance and your neon clothing where it is. :)

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is no way in going to gauge the level of interest in a Classic Server.

A Classic Server is going to be based on UO:R PvP System. No Necromancy, No ninjitsu, no artifacts, No Powerscrolls, 700 Cap. Order/Chaos Guilds. No Dismount and no special moves.

If a True Classic Shard was done properly I have no doubt it would draw from players who are playing on the Freeshards. I would actually jump in myself and start PvP'ing again.

When people talk about a Classic Shard what they want is the era of Precasting Mages with Halberds and Katanas. Sorry Warriors but this is was when PvP was at it's finest. Many Warriors started complaining how Mages were overpowered and wanted to level the playing field instead of making a Mage themselves and learn how the hell to fight ...that lead to changes and the end result of what we have here today.
Yes it will gauge interest albeit in a much more narrow way, and I agree with most of what you say minus precasting, it was a bug and that is the way it was seen when it was patched, you don't need precasting to beat warriors it's actually silly that it ever made it into the game to begin with and is basically easy mode for mages.

Again I ask how much time do you think was put into this test shard? why would they go through all the changes necessary to make it truly classic when they need to see if it is worth the time to do so in the first place? They took the very basics of the old times and yes they left the crap part in with post AoS but it is after all the same basic framework.

From playing the shard myself a few moments ago I can say without a doubt that I am lost on modern pvp in uo, although there didn't seem to be anything beyond starter gear being used in the fights I took part in, that is only because the shard was just started today.

All in all though I have seen a lot of people in brit so far, even saw a few trammel players who had stumbled in and were all lost about not being totally safe. :lol:

S

sherkborg

Wow, after reading this some of you people really didnt read the post and have no idea what your even posting to.

Why would a dev team (even as bad as this) produce a FULL classic shard then have it tested. Sorry, devs dont do tests like that.

Second, if they released a poll and people could vote for a classic that would be awesome but they didnt. The way to vote for this is to play it even if it was say a future patched server WHO CARES. The way to vote is to play whatever coded poorly server they offer.

Third, which ties into point one, WHO CARES IF THEY USED CLASSIC AND ITS NOT CLASSIC. I dont care if I only am able to use ninjitsu on a classic server. Its point two that explains this. Dont get all hissy because the server isnt truely classic. A step backwards is only good compared to the pile of crap we have today.

Fourth, Who cares about seige... seriously. If you spent X amount of time there and are scared you might lose everything and theres no reason to play anymore... welcome to all the other servers. Theres how many servers identical? And yet we dont complain. So.. quite being a drama queen and realize more then 1 thing is good and even then people wont leave if they have spent so much time on it. Dont be afraid of change and choices.

I hope everyone who doesnt even like the server idea plays it, its the only way to bring people back to what they want and I know I personally quit after publish 16 and only came back recently for other reasons. This game is a disgusting disgrace to Ultima and its nice to see them atleast offer a classic server in idea so far. It sure bets there "No pre uo:r server ever officially statement"

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Un-Freaking-believable.

Just when you think those half wits who run EA cant get any stupider.

So ... their idea to assess whether a Classic shard would be viable is to do a two month trial with a shard that does not even closely resemble a Classic shard. Genius.

Or, they could have trialled a Classic shard for 2 months.

Idiots.

I would happily play a classic shard, even reactivatesome more accounts, but I have no interest in playing this p.o.s. How then does it evaluate interest in a classic shard?

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blah, what a major disappointment... I thought "classic" was anything before AoS... How is this classic, in what sense?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think those of us that want a classic shard need to embrace this opportunity. The server as presented isn't exactly "classic", but it is an effort. If a true classic server is going to be viable for EA's business model, the community needs to embrace this opportunity and fill the server. We should ask for a special shard forum on Stratics. We should invite back old friends that used to play. We need to continue to provide constructive feedback throughout this trial. In short, the classic shard proponents need to MOBILIZE and show EA they can and will fill a classic shard. If this happens, I think EA will dedicate development time and make a permanent classic server. If we squander this opportunity, I think it is our own fault.

I recommend we stop the Seige vs semi-Classic shard debate and focus on making this trial a success. Just my 2 cents.

-OBSIDIAN-

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shard of the Dead will remain open for one to two months, depending on the player response.

Sorry EA, but why should a "currently-inactive" player pay to come back for a shard which may well be deleted in a month or two?

The idea is appealing (with some tweaks), but I for one am not prepared to spend money to revive my accounts just to play a version of what I once knew and loved, but which may be cancelled before my subscription runs out?

Make it a shard with a guaranteed 6-month lifespan and I'll sign-up again.
This shard is only a TEST to see if people will actually play it or if it will go ignored by players. If people really like it then they will likely make it guaranteed. I mean why should the devs just assume it will be very popular and make a brand new shard without at least testing it to see if all the talk about wanting a classic shard will live up to the demand.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems like a lot of people are checking it out. There isn't anyone in Britain, but I wandered the forests and saw lots of dead animals. On the roads out of town you also saw player corpses.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this shard does stay, they need to remove malas, Ilshenar, tok, etc. Keep only one land-mass, Britannia.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
please make a real classic shard come out.... so sick of mysticism, please get me back to a time before aos, thanks

Multani

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
should have a return to britiannia event, where this server is the only option. If it is indeed some kind of test to determine interest in a classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.