• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NETWORK] Ultima Online - Classic PvP server is back online!

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchertoo

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[size=+1]Ultima Online - Classic PvP server is back online![/size]
Submitted by George Vanous on Fri, 10/29/2010 - 07:17

Ultima Online announced today the release of a classic shard based on the “old school” PvP server!

The new "Shard of the Dead" is an attempt to gauge the interest levels of re-opening a full-blown "old school" PvP server. UO producer Cal Crowner hopes this will excite the players who preferred the classic free-form gameplay of Ultima Online with harsh consequences when your character is defeated by another.

Shard of the Dead will remain open for one to two months, depending on the player response.

Here is a look at the features for this new server.

Features of "Shard of the Dead"

1. No items will be blessed, except for spellbooks of all types, and runebooks
2. Item insurance system disabled
3. Always nighttime
4. No handouts for new players, start the game as you are and work hard to achieve things in game
5. Accelerate skill gain 10X so players can get to max level quickly
6. Only Felucca facet will exist
7. Allow Glass Sword of Shattering (one shot kill sword that shatters when used. Players can only have one at a time and never trade/sell them)
8. New King of the Tower game to obtain Glass Sword
9. Only one guard zone in Britian
10. All characters receive advanced character token at login
11. Players must wait 7 days to delete their characters

To get started, or re-enable an old account visit the account management page!

B

Babble

If they add some contagious zombies as monsters, then I consider it.
:p

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I went to the Account page and still don't know how to get this working...

Anyone? Help, thoughts?

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally!

Thank you!
I would totally do it. Is this real?
:link:

Can we make it so existing accounts can place a house there?

Why does it have to be dark all the time? Not complaining! I'll take it for sure, just wondering you know.

For all of you who posted 6 years of "beating dead horse" emoticons...........

:eek:snap:

:bdh:
(Checks to see that it's not April).

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im wondering, does the one guard zone in Brit mean that its the -only- guard zone anywhere?

GoodGuy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had to sit by miserably and watch Siege Perilous not get the attention it deserved.

Now this comes, like 5-8 years PAST DUE. also....if the only changes the shard are the rules listed there.....its hardly a "classic pvp server" in my mind.

Have fun with this whoever tries, but i won't be reactivating any accounts to even take a peak.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had to sit by miserably and watch Siege Perilous not get the attention it deserved.

Now this comes, like 5-8 years PAST DUE. also....if the only changes the shard are the rules listed there.....its hardly a "classic pvp server" in my mind.

Have fun with this whoever tries, but i won't be reactivating any accounts to even take a peak.
Not only that, but if this shard lives, it kills siege... because it IS siege, but skill go up MUCH MUCH faster, and theres special pvp stuff to do. Sure am glad I stayed on siege for.... 10 years, hoping to wait out all of the BS... Really kinda feel deflated reading this.
:sad4:

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Not only that, but if this shard lives, it kills siege... because it IS siege, but skill go up MUCH MUCH faster, and theres special pvp stuff to do. Sure am glad I stayed on siege for.... 10 years, hoping to wait out all of the BS... Really kinda feel deflated reading this.
Uvtha, the way I read it is that this will only be a test shard to feel the interest. And later on they might introduce a real classic shard and I guess there it will be normal gains.

We´ll see I guess...

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new "Shard of the Dead" is an attempt to gauge the interest levels of re-opening a full-blown "old school" PvP server.
This is why they are doing it; because they want to see if people really want PvP changes, and what they mean by that (I suspect the accelerated gain is to test if people want free-roaming, at any time but roughly equal opportunity PvP, or are after the imbalance of power that existed at original launch)... or if the critics are just addicted to being negative, anti-majority outcasts and nothing Mythic ever do will ever be good enough. So if you really, truly want a "Classic" shard, here's your chance; go onto this one, give it a go, give honest feedback about what you like and dislike... put some effort into it, and if enough of you speak with a genuine identifiable voice, you might get what you want in the long run. I'm not saying you need to re-open your accounts, but if you've got one already, here's where you can cast what will be perhaps the most important voting opportunity you'll ever get. Vote with your virtual feet and go and play it. Go and give the devs some solid numbers to wave around to the people with the purse strings

H

Heartseeker

Uvtha, the way I read it is that this will only be a test shard to feel the interest. And later on they might introduce a real classic shard and I guess there it will be normal gains.

We´ll see I guess...
This.

If all goes well, we'll get a Classic Shard!!!:love:

Macrophage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the main points was the removal of item properties... Which this server doesnt do... So nothing to do with a classic shard. This is gonna be a fail and they re gonna say " there is no interest in a classic shard".

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice! Hope we'll see a classic shard soon then. So many new things at once!!!!

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More Classic BS. Hahahahahaha. :danceb:

There is absolutely nothing Classic about it. Its just Siege without ROT.

How about just renaming Siege to Classic? You just cant make this ship up. LMAO.

John Connelly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the main points was the removal of item properties... Which this server doesnt do... So nothing to do with a classic shard. This is gonna be a fail and they re gonna say " there is no interest in a classic shard".
Agreed
There is absolutely nothing Classic about it. Its just Siege without ROT.
Agreed, Siege with a few tweaks which players have been requesting for years.

I am not sure how this TC shard gauges player interest in a classic shard.

V

Vyal

Will this be classic like pre everything classic or everything but call it classic?

Ahh nevermind only Fel Facet thats so much freaking better right there.

Pink Floyd

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this pre aos? Pre imbuing? Pre pub 16? Will we all have no insurance but ridiculous imbued items?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yeah I have a few questions too.

1. Are skills capped at 100 (i.e. no power scrolls)?

2. Are there no items with properties? Is GM Armor and Weapons the best available?

3. Are the skills available only pre-pub 16 (i.e. no necro, no chiv, no sw, no myst, no imbuing, etc)?

4. Can we place a classic style house and not have it count against our current houses on existing servers?

-OBSIDIAN-

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[size=+1]Ultima Online - Classic PvP server is back online![/size]
Submitted by George Vanous on Fri, 10/29/2010 - 07:17

Ultima Online announced today the release of a classic shard based on the “old school” PvP server!

The new "Shard of the Dead" is an attempt to gauge the interest levels of re-opening a full-blown "old school" PvP server. UO producer Cal Crowner hopes this will excite the players who preferred the classic free-form gameplay of Ultima Online with harsh consequences when your character is defeated by another.

Shard of the Dead will remain open for one to two months, depending on the player response.

Here is a look at the features for this new server.

Features of "Shard of the Dead"

1. No items will be blessed, except for spellbooks of all types, and runebooks
2. Item insurance system disabled
3. Always nighttime
4. No handouts for new players, start the game as you are and work hard to achieve things in game
6. Only Felucca facet will exist
7. Allow Glass Sword of Shattering (one shot kill sword that shatters when used. Players can only have one at a time and never trade/sell them)
8. New King of the Tower game to obtain Glass Sword
9. Only one guard zone in Britian
11. Players must wait 7 days to delete their characters

To get started, or re-enable an old account visit the account management page!
So you guys gonna give this server the same attention you do Siege Perilous? Oh by the way, thanks for leaving Siege Perilous to die...thanks...

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After thinking on all this...

Can we get a Dev or someone high on the food chain to give us an idea of when (time) this will go live?

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would I want to start on a new server, build up characters, build up gold, for a little bit of a community with new players I meet, just for it to be deleted in 1-2 months.

IF they use this to judge how successful a PERMA classic shard will be, well then they need to pull their heads out of their rear ends.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like a good start!

Only fel, no ter mul, hence no way to do imbuing quests or get imbuing ingredients, so should have no imbuing.

No doom, so I am guessing no arties.

No tokuno or malas so unless they setup haven, no way to get ninjitsu, bushido, necro, chiv spell books.

Not sure about heartwood and spellweaving.

So unless they meant fel rules but with new lands like what siege got, it will be different from siege.

And look, they are doing this prototype shard while pushing out new content, Halloween, gifts, boosters etc. So they do have a solid project manager and a solid team that can release this without impacting new content.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not played in a good year or so and this has grabbed my attention.

As people have said above, it's not a Classic Shard in the traditional sense, but its at least a step in the right direction.

Hopefully more players like myself who gave up on this idea will come back too!

B

Beer_Cayse

I'm sooo glad to be closing the account this weekend. This is an abomination. <shakes head> I am not into PvP but this just sux.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A couple of questions

Is this a real "classic shard" or a "second siege shard" meaning, are all skills gm, tamed pets not able to be bonded, stealing a viable skill in pvp (stealing weapons from opponents hand), houses can be robbed, you know, all the classic stuff.

If its not a real classic shard, im guessing most classic shard supporters wont play it, and suspect this will be used only as "evidence" that there is little interest in a classic shard.

IMO dont even bother if its just like siege... because... we already have siege.

If its just another no insurance shard with the same items as the existing shards i definitely wont play it for the same reason i stopped playing siege, if its an actual classic shard im excited about it, moreso than all the high seas lameness.

rareitem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think is agreat idea, lets try it and look how it works instead of complanining all the time.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys i think it is only a fun shard, this is maybe a wrong annoucment here, i think also the devs knew that changing this few elements, this cant be a classic pvp shard, a classic pvp shard with a one hit kill sword? Never!

This is the shard of death, a halloween fun shard ;)

To speak a serious word to the devs please finish your client side before you enter such a big project! I can only say it again, you will not get any new player of this, because the engine is too old or not finished too buggy. Also in 2d there are possibilities out there...

Attachments

T

Tazar

I agree that is is not a valid test of a classic shard, but for different reasons.

It's new so many will try it as they do anything "new".. and with it only up for two months it can potentially give a false impression of a classic shard's success. Is two months enough for the newness and the nostalgia to wear off to see if it is really viable?

B

Babble

The shard sounds like a bad Testcenter,
Now I know why they moved Testcenter to new hardware.
:p

And this shard is the reason why I think they should leave classic shards in the capable hands of freeshards.
:)

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is why they are doing it; because they want to see if people really want PvP changes, and what they mean by that (I suspect the accelerated gain is to test if people want free-roaming, at any time but roughly equal opportunity PvP, or are after the imbalance of power that existed at original launch)... or if the critics are just addicted to being negative, anti-majority outcasts and nothing Mythic ever do will ever be good enough. So if you really, truly want a "Classic" shard, here's your chance; go onto this one, give it a go, give honest feedback about what you like and dislike... put some effort into it, and if enough of you speak with a genuine identifiable voice, you might get what you want in the long run. I'm not saying you need to re-open your accounts, but if you've got one already, here's where you can cast what will be perhaps the most important voting opportunity you'll ever get. Vote with your virtual feet and go and play it. Go and give the devs some solid numbers to wave around to the people with the purse strings
Well said Adol. Players need to try this out and pass judgmement so EA can get feedback.

Hopefully the term "classic" isn't identified with the listed rules only... if not, it's just AoS without trammel and insurance.

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like a good start!

Only fel, no ter mul, hence no way to do imbuing quests or get imbuing ingredients, so should have no imbuing.

No doom, so I am guessing no arties.

No tokuno or malas so unless they setup haven, no way to get ninjitsu, bushido, necro, chiv spell books.

Not sure about heartwood and spellweaving.

So unless they meant fel rules but with new lands like what siege got, it will be different from siege.

And look, they are doing this prototype shard while pushing out new content, Halloween, gifts, boosters etc. So they do have a solid project manager and a solid team that can release this without impacting new content.

Good point. I didn't see it like that. That will definitely restrict templates.

However, many things remain to be adressed:
Resisting Spells/Spell dmg
Pets
Housing
Specials
Order/Chaos
Faction
etc...

I honestly think it will look closer to Siege Perilous over a real classic shard.

I will definitely try it out but I'm not sure I can convince 25 of my friends to give up on player run shards to try this out.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It wont stop people from having Ninjitsu,Chiv,Bushido or Necro. You get those books by taking the skill upon creation.

And sure, Necromancy doesnt come with a full book. But you can get the important scrolls by hunting Liches.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, just a couple of thoughts to throw into this mix.

Any temp or test server is not going to see the same type response or active log time as a reg server, because it wont last. lots of us will indeed be interested, but won't want to commit tens much less hundreds of hours to something that is nothing.

That other impediment would be housing, again. If you want to play a standard pub server and have a house allowing us to choose to place only classic small foot print houses would go a loooong way to further acceptance.

The skill gain thing is interesting, and I'm guessing this will be a special test that does not allow for auto skill setting, which is interesting.

They would get a lot more volunteers if our "work" for them in this environment transferred into some type of something tangible for either a standard shard or the classic shard that comes from it.

The whole wishy washy attitude from the outset is not overly compelling for any player to assist them in their endeavor, especially when one considers the evidence of the team listening to what makes old school players want to play in this style.

*IMHO* This should have been where they kicked in the RTB program.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guessing this will be a US based server so not much fun for Europeans like me with poor connection :(

Nurse Miss Maude

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also would like to know how many chars each account will be allowed on this shard.
And the housing question. Since they will be starting a new shard are they going to allow accounts to have a second house there? If so, this is really a slap in the face to Siege. So many things could be done to encourage a larger player base there.

Um yeah contradict much? People have to work hard to achieve things...while they get accelerated skill gain, and an advanced char token. What's the hard work in that? LOL We all know no one wants to start over. Why not do that on Siege as well, since no char transfer is allowed. Just sayn'.

I'm not into pvp, but this really made me bust out laughing. A one hit kill sword??? Oh come on, please. That's really a way to encourage actual pvp. Was there anything like that weapon in the classic sense?

So let's see, we already have a pvp shard...they just aren't "classic". Player base thinks they want a classic shard, so let's test it out. I don't know call me crazy, but why not just fix what you have already and make it more appealing for people to try there? I wonder IF this shard is made, how long before it's abandoned like Siege?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really hope that there is no AoS item property type crap, and truely is classic.

If it is item based pvp, I want insurance. If it isn't item based PvP, then I don't care about insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.