• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NETWORK] Ultima Online - Classic PvP server is back online!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Calliope

I'm very disappointed about this new shard - when I read "Classic Shard" I thought they were sampling the demand for a pre-AoS pre-Publish 16 ruleset.

This won't bring old players back, nor will it maintain popularity for long. What a wasted opportunity!

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is good you are enjoying this 2nd Siege shard. You might consider starting up on Siege now, as this new Siege shard is only going to last 1 to 2 months.

To Siege players. This shard is just Siege with faster skills gains. All I can say is you could have had a nice influx of new players.

Pfft..Seige..crap abomination shard. If the "classic shard" is not Pub 15 or lower, then it holds no interest of any true "classic UO" lover. No "classic shard" that does not hold that rule set would get even a 2nd look from me or anyone of the hundreds of my old time friends and players.

No LRC
No Pet bonding
No AOS of any sort
No Trammel
No skill above 100
Horses and ethys that get tired / hungry and kick your ass off (kept running to a minimum)
etc,.

G

Gandie

It is good you are enjoying this 2nd Siege shard. You might consider starting up on Siege now, as this new Siege shard is only going to last 1 to 2 months.

To Siege players. This shard is just Siege with faster skills gains. All I can say is you could have had a nice influx of new players.
You see, i played on seige a few times over the years, both post and pre AoS. And this is not a second seige. First of there is only the fel facet. Less landmass is equal to more interaction with other people. Something i missed for many years. And no blessed crap.

Now as i stated this is not my ideal idea of a classic shard. I would like a PUB15 shard with modifications too it.
But i enjoy this cheap attempt of a PvP server more then i enjoyed UO for many years, and thats something to me.

But sure if this server got to live 6 months, there would be so many balance issues because its not well thought out.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the record; their is a soul forge @ the brit forge. Any old school pvper would of went and checked that area out for nostagia; and thats how I found it :p

F

Førsaken

I guess the DEVS didn't want to chime in on this one...Hopefully they're reading though!

1) If you want to create a "classic" test center server to see the interest of your player base-Then, by all means, do so and set it back to a pre-pub 16 era before you even consider calling it "classic".

2) Give this "classic" test center a life span of 6 months minimum, hell, even a year. Just make it known that it is a test center and that all would be deleted in whatever time you chose, so that everyone would have a fresh, fair playing field.

3) Don't neglect it like you do Siege Perilous.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I swear people cannot read on stratics, I have tried to explain the simplicity of what the test shard is about 3 or 4 times in a row, I don't know if the font isn't big enough or people just don't pay attention but this is ridiculous.

They are not saying this is a classic shard, how much simpler can it get then that? Do some of you not have the capability to distinguish between what they are using the test shard for vs what a down the road classic shard will be?

Do you really think the devs are that clueless about the old style of UO? that they would just slap together fel only and no insurance and call it classic? If you answered no here pat yourself on the back.

So what they are doing is very very simple, if people show up for this shard in enough numbers over the next month or two, we will likely get a real classic shard later, it isn't Siege without ROT, that's what the test shard is, but that is not what classic will end up being.

I really dislike being condescending but after attempting every other way I can figure out to get the simple point across, I am at a loss. :spider:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
So what they are doing is very very simple, if people show up for this shard in enough numbers over the next month or two, we will likely get a real classic shard later, it isn't Siege without ROT, that's what the test shard is, but that is not what classic will end up being.
Please cite your source.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just really don't understand it. WE have siege, we have pvp in factions and in fel on all our prodo shards. What am I missing? How is this representative of anything anyone is asking for?
its not. It just demonstrates how clueless and out of touch Cal is with the community, what they want and what UO is about.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why?

Why on earth would they think that the number of people playing this crap is in any way indicative of how many people want a classic shard?

the two arent linked. They might as well say " run around on your prodo shard wearing a jester hat for the next 2 months. if there is enough interest we will think about starting a classic shard"

This new shard and a classic shard are totally unrelated. So ... why do EA think that this shard and its population have any bearing on classic shard interest. They are a million miles apart as are my jester hat example and a classic shard.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've already cited a source, it's the same source that's in the OP now the same one that petra posted the link to on the first page.

Ultima Online Announces Shard of the Dead PvP Server! - Ultima Online - Curse

This new shard is producer Cal Crowner's attempt to judge the viability of a full-blown "old school" PvP server.
The relevant text.
First, the comment highlighted above is from the author of the post, not from a representative of EA/Mythic.

Second, if SOTD were actually a test ground for an "'old school' pvp server", then why would it not have 'old school' rules? This doesn't make sense.

C

copycon

This new shard and a classic shard are totally unrelated. So ... why do EA think that this shard and its population have any bearing on classic shard interest. They are a million miles apart as are my jester hat example and a classic shard.
This.

I've gone into greater detail in my earlier posts that explain why this "test" will not produce an accurate result.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh heh. I was just thinking that myself. Had to happen sooner or later i suppose ;)

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, the comment highlighted above is from the author of the post, not from a representative of EA/Mythic.
Yes I realize that, but Cal has not stepped forward to deny that he said this, and curse is well known in the mmo community, mostly for their client but still they aren't a shady source.

Second, if SOTD were actually a test ground for an "'old school' pvp server", then why would it not have 'old school' rules? This doesn't make sense.
The only test is for the population, look we get it, it is nowhere near classic what they did was throw down the basics of old school gameplay as I've said open pvp/no item insurance/fel only to get an idea of what the turnout will likely be for that ruleset.

Is it perfect? no but consider that they would have to make significant changes to get it true to form classic ready. They would also likely have to do a poll before this test shard went live asking where people wanted classic to begin.

So yes it does make sense, they are working on a lot of other things and those of us who want a classic shard are not exactly priority one on their radar, so they made a basic mock up of a pvp shard without doing to many changes.

I see it like this, they threw us a bone, a rather half gnawed one but it's something, if we don't show up in decent numbers then there won't be a classic shard, it is speculation but I would bank on it, well in fact I have already by resubscribing.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you really think the devs... that they would just slap together fel only and no insurance and call it classic?
In case you missed the OP...
Ultima Online - Classic PvP server is back online!
Submitted by George Vanous on Fri, 10/29/2010 - 07:17

Ultima Online announced today the release of a classic shard based on the “old school” PvP server!

The new "Shard of the Dead" is an attempt to gauge the interest levels of re-opening a full-blown "old school" PvP server. UO producer Cal Crowner hopes this will excite the players who preferred the classic free-form gameplay of Ultima Online with harsh consequences when your character is defeated by another.
Yes. they. have... They removed ROT from Seige and called it Classic!!!! :lol:

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case you missed the OP..

I didn't miss it and this doesn't make you clever like you no doubt believe. It is classic in the sense of free for all PvP and no trammel/item insurance and that is the only part that is classic.

And since this shard will only be running for two months at maximum according the post they made about it, we can say this shard will not be representative of classic.

So you just keep on making yourself laugh HD it will be alright whether the shard happens or not.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^

I almost miss the astroturfing spam from Faine Morgan or Morgan LeFay or whatever. A least she semi made sense.

*clears throat*... EMM EMM. I digress. Must focus :thumbsup:

OK. EA should just sell 'Team Classic' tshirts at uogamecodes to fund the new development.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I almost miss the astroturfing spam from Faine Morgan or Morgan LeFay or whatever. A least she semi made sense.
I don't even want to exist in the world where what you think of as semi sensible is taken seriously.

*clears throat*... EMM EMM. I digress. Must focus
Yes don't over exert yourself.

OK. EA should just sell 'Team Classic' tshirts at uogamecodes to fund the new development.
There are a number of ways they could fund it, but apparently they already think it's worth looking into. Like I said it may come to pass it may not but arguing about it at this point is rather futile.

I'm giving them my money again, and they will either give us something after this shard goes down or they won't, if they do I will stay subbed, if they don't I won't it's that simple for me.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly.. There's pretty much 2 main points which stick out in EVERY classic shard thread.

1. Pre-AoS
2. Felucca only

I guess the pre-aos code has been lost :sad2:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give the Devs some credit at least they named the shard correctly because I can guarantee you without pre-casting SOTD is going to be exactly that....a dead shard.

What we need is a Classic Shard that is Pre:UOR circa 1998-1999. This was when the PvP system was at it's best and regarded by many as UO's golden years. After 1999, OSI made changes to PvP which many players disliked and many players ended up quitting the game.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that some day they do the right thing but this is not a step in the right direction. I'll keep hoping and praying but I'm not going to hold my breath.:cheerleader:

Miss Smoocher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i started the game 5 year ago i dont know uo any other way. not one for much pvp but i hope you all get what you want. but as for me i am happy with my uo.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i started the game 5 year ago i dont know uo any other way. not one for much pvp but i hope you all get what you want. but as for me i am happy with my uo.
The PvM aspect of UO is better than it ever has been and I love what they've done with adding new content. I hope they continue to build upon it.

The only other things I'd like to see happen is a high resolution option/UOKR toggle and a true Classic Shard Pre:UOR.

Overall I'm very happy with the state of the game. :thumbup1:

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
about time!

This game must be bleeding subscribers and EA needs to do something to keep the boat afloat!

E

Emosocial

Lol what kind of pvpers though.
real pvp'rs ? the old school type that only relied on timing and mana conservation, team play and coordination?

Things don't get simpler as you add things to something. Only more complex therefore requiring more skill to operate unless you add a EASY BUTTON to the machine which atm would be mysticism.
if that were the case then why have archers been dominant since artifacts became common place ? you only need 5 or 6 macros MAX for a geared archer to compete at the upper levels. That is NOT complex.

What a waste of time to focus on old content that the true feeling of it will never be reproduced because there was a time and a place for it, and that was years ago.
hence "classic" ? aka the purist shard ? a throwback to when the game was really fun and took a little bit of skill and timing.
You do realize that since a "classic" shard is only limited to one shard it will become a one guild dominant server like every other server right?
I would argue otherwise. I hope that there are still enough "old schoolers" around to confirm that pre pub 16 there were no Mega Zerg Guilds. There were multiple guilds in Facts - O/C - PK guilds and Noto guilds. Small to medium sized groups that hung out with friends and had a great time fighting.

It's just going to become another thing to complain about.
sadly I will have to agree. No matter what the devs do, they wont be able to satisfy 100% of the uo playerbase.

hopefully however they give the "Classic" shard a real chance to become reality if they do it the right way.

pre pub 16 server with no 1 hit kill weapons and speed hacking / duping are extinguished. That would be a true utopia.. a UO Shangri La if you will.

E

Emosocial

Skill? what a joker lol ok what is skillfull about precasting an explosion, equipping a halberd, doing near 50 damage with it, getting off a stored up exp followed by an ebolt for a quick kill? that isn't skill that is exactly what I said it was, easy mode for mages.
well if I was a mage that saw that happening, I would have pre cast explosion and then prep a heal. He would take damage, then I would heal myself to full in 2 spells. I was up on mana and his stam was low from the explosion.

At that point you cast clumsy, then boost his intel with two 1st circle spells and decide if you need to heal again or be ready to disrupt his next explo with a harm.

at that point if you are a pure mage you can easily bring him down with a combo that includes a mindblast (split stats) and its game over.

what didnt take skill was a *cough* no skill townie dexer with an axe waiting for the RNG to go off spamming 1 button bandages and getting a kill.

so I can understand that you were a townie/newbie and hated mages / tank mages. But dont take away from those days and say that precasting didnt take skill. It took skill in your timing and in your decision making as to what to cast and when.

Savvy ?

there is a reason that they removed some of the mage dominance over time, because not everyone wanted to be crammed into one template.
the game was actually balanced. If you had no skills or were a newbie you played the easiest class to be adept at - a dexer. Once you were good at the game and were a great dexer you accepted the next level of hard mode - a mage.

Good dexer > new mage
great dexer = good mage
great mage > any dexer.

It was solid logic and gameplay.

paralyze/equip halberd/rinse and repeat until they die was a lot of easy loot for mages back then.
easy enough. carry around 12 to 15 trapped pouches. impossible to be para ganked. just like people carry around trapped dart boxes now. Only back then you still had to invest 100 points into resisting spells, now most of the newbies dont.

Besides anyone who did pvp back in the day knows the real tank mage is full plate/heavy x bow. But that was pre T2A so I don't expect many people to remember.
that wasnt a tank mage. that was the first 6 months that the game came out and only heavy xbows and ebolts were OP.

That was not PVP either. was pure old fashion fun pk'ing. :D

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well if I was a mage that saw that happening, I would have pre cast explosion and then prep a heal. He would take damage, then I would heal myself to full in 2 spells. I was up on mana and his stam was low from the explosion.

At that point you cast clumsy, then boost his intel with two 1st circle spells and decide if you need to heal again or be ready to disrupt his next explo with a harm.

at that point if you are a pure mage you can easily bring him down with a combo that includes a mindblast (split stats) and its game over.

what didnt take skill was a *cough* no skill townie dexer with an axe waiting for the RNG to go off spamming 1 button bandages and getting a kill.

so I can understand that you were a townie/newbie and hated mages / tank mages. But dont take away from those days and say that precasting didnt take skill. It took skill in your timing and in your decision making as to what to cast and when.

Savvy ?
Yes anyone can say well I woulda done this and that and whatever, but I'm not talking about the upper echelon of pvp players, I'm talking about the average player experience in pvp.

And you understand nothing, I was a mage long before I rolled a townie for Order/Chaos I played both off and on and it was enjoyable, precasting did not take skill, it just didn't, there is nothing skillfull about it, the best argument you can make is maybe the top two percent of pvp'ers on the shard who face each other in duels and know the usual spell combinations will have to think more when facing each other.

the game was actually balanced. If you had no skills or were a newbie you played the easiest class to be adept at - a dexer. Once you were good at the game and were a great dexer you accepted the next level of hard mode - a mage.

Good dexer > new mage
great dexer = good mage
great mage > any dexer.

Actually what it was and still is, is a lot of mages who got butthurt when their precasting bug was removed and they actually had to try in order to win fights.

Most mages would laugh at you for even saying "good dexer" in the first place which you would know if you had ever actually played one.

easy enough. carry around 12 to 15 trapped pouches. impossible to be para ganked. just like people carry around trapped dart boxes now. Only back then you still had to invest 100 points into resisting spells, now most of the newbies dont.
Yes for those of us who figured this out early on it was pretty simple, but you would be amazed at how many dex monkeys were still falling to that para/hally combo, and yes resist was huge back in the day.

that wasnt a tank mage. that was the first 6 months that the game came out and only heavy xbows and ebolts were OP.

That was not PVP either. was pure old fashion fun pk'ing
Actually you are terribly wrong here, the term tank mage denoted specifically a mage who was clad from head to toe in plate/bone armor hence the term tank mage as in armored like a tank with completely long range weapons which were silly powerful and made kids run and scream at the sight of said character.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The title of this thread need to change! Very miss leading

What part about it is classic? I currently dont play UO and am one of the old guard waiting/hoping for a true classic server.

How are the Devs going to be able to gauge the interest when this is not what people have been asking for? I thought a classic server was bassed on the 98/99 game set, i might be wrong.

Just seems like a twisted version of SP.

Ohh well one can still dream!

Europa -98 Worriors Of Virtue

E

Emosocial

I'm talking about the average player experience in pvp.
Average by their own physical limitations ? or because they chose the easy way out to roll dexer/townies instead of dying on a mage, losing and practicing their way up to being decent mages ?

I think that I see your angle now. I snicker in your general direction

I was a mage long before I rolled a townie for Order/Chaos
If you rolled a townie after being a mage, then I can only say that you were a bad player and a horrible mage.

Not only that but you had no fortitude to learn how to play the hardmode class and took the path of least resistance with a townie. Pathetic.

maybe the top two percent of pvp'ers on the shard who face each other in duels and know the usual spell combinations will have to think more when facing each other.
the top 2 percent may have been mage pvp savants. but in the field all of the good mages and great mages were feared by silly townies.

Townies were the mouth breathing town dolts. Mages were the evolved intellectuals if you will.

Actually what it was and still is, is a lot of mages who got butthurt when their precasting bug was removed and they actually had to try in order to win fights.
not really. I adapted when precasting was removed. I was fine up until pub 16 that then added 2fc and 4fcr. Actually at first you could cap out at 4/9 magery with no capy on SDI. I remember making a mockery of the new system by chaining flamestrikes faster than the plebes could mini heal.
Most mages would laugh at you for even saying "good dexer" in the first place which you would know if you had ever actually played one.
because a good dexer is akin to getting a gold medal in the special olympics. See what i did thurr ?

Yes for those of us who figured this out early on it was pretty simple, but you would be amazed at how many dex monkeys were still falling to that para/hally combo, and yes resist was huge back in the day.
Those were the lowest of the low. Those were the "bad dexers"...like saying the "bad bads"

Actually you are terribly wrong here, the term tank mage denoted specifically a mage who was clad from head to toe in plate/bone armor hence the term tank mage as in armored like a tank with completely long range weapons which were silly powerful and made kids run and scream at the sight of said character.
Yes, and we were talking about hally mages were we not ?

Because we can also talk about my eval fencer or med macer if you want to get technical.

What it boils down to is that you have no room to talk about a classic pvp centric shard. You are whining about hally mages and you rerolled townie. That says it all. You were a trammy before tram. You are the reason that this game got punked.

Tell ya what buddy, instead of coming into a classic shard thread and putting your filthy trammy thoughts into it, why dont you stick to your home shard where you can be a sampire in all of the tram dungeons and be a townie until they pull the plug on this game.

Let the people that care to play the game as it was originally talk about it. basically go sit back down at the kdidie table, let the big people speak a bit about a classic shard.

Thanks !

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The game was actually balanced. If you had no skills or were a newbie you played the easiest class to be adept at - a dexer. Once you were good at the game and were a great dexer you accepted the next level of hard mode - a mage.

Good dexer > new mage
great dexer = good mage
great mage > any dexer.

Spot on! Pre:UOR with precasting was the most balanced PvP System UO has ever seen.

It took alot of practice and training in order to become an efficient tank mage. Tank Mages literally jousted and charged at players with weapons in hand (Halberds where the hardest hitting). There was in-close fighting and there was distance-fighting. You might kill a player up close with a quick strike from your katana catch him or perhaps catch him on the tail end of a Flame Strike.

PvP with Pre-casting was the most intricate PvP has ever been. There were all different kinds of combos and techniques you had to know. PvP Pre:UOR was a chess game.

There is a reason why players huddled and gathered together in large groups so often at various locations throughout UO dueling one another. :popcorn:

E

Emosocial

Exacty !!one!!eleven!!!11

Heck we can get even more detailed and talk about using equip macros to disrupt our own spells with a dagger in order to fake spell casts.

.....ah the old days.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Average by their own physical limitations ? or because they chose the easy way out to roll dexer/townies instead of dying on a mage, losing and practicing their way up to being decent mages ?

I think that I see your angle now. I snicker in your general direction
No average as in not everyone did enjoy pvp 24/7, the players who were not the most experienced in battles. All you see is the precipice of fail that you have built for yourself.

If you rolled a townie after being a mage, then I can only say that you were a bad player and a horrible mage.

Not only that but you had no fortitude to learn how to play the hardmode class and took the path of least resistance with a townie. Pathetic.
I did roll a townie for Order/Chaos but I never abandoned playing my mage, your simplistic either or attitude is very telling, and the fact that you are sitting here saying that playing a mage was hardmode, kid just stop you are embarassing yourself at this point, mages were the most powerful template in the game during it's best years, because pound for pound no other skill could deal out the pure amount of damage that magery could.

And before you get it in your head that I am saying dexers were complicated, no they weren't, in fact pvp was never really complicated in UO, it was enjoyable, but never complicated.

the top 2 percent may have been mage pvp savants. but in the field all of the good mages and great mages were feared by silly townies.

Townies were the mouth breathing town dolts. Mages were the evolved intellectuals if you will.
Someones been drinking the kool aid for a long time, now we can generalize people by the template they play rolleyes:

because a good dexer is akin to getting a gold medal in the special olympics. See what i did thurr ?
I see what you are doing now and it doesn't make you very smart to be honest.

Yes, and we were talking about hally mages were we not ?

Because we can also talk about my eval fencer or med macer if you want to get technical.

What it boils down to is that you have no room to talk about a classic pvp centric shard. You are whining about hally mages and you rerolled townie. That says it all. You were a trammy before tram. You are the reason that this game got punked.

Tell ya what buddy, instead of coming into a classic shard thread and putting your filthy trammy thoughts into it, why dont you stick to your home shard where you can be a sampire in all of the tram dungeons and be a townie until they pull the plug on this game.

Let the people that care to play the game as it was originally talk about it. basically go sit back down at the kdidie table, let the big people speak a bit about a classic shard.

Thanks !
You were erroneously saying that hally mages = tank mages and I corrected you. Now you ignorant little twerp, I have never been an advocate of trammel, I played UO and PvP'd during the best years the game had to offer, this silly little smear tactic you have going, it would be funny if it weren't attempted by every single noob that ever graced these forums.

The fact that you equate people wanting to switch around and play different characters to being a supporter of trammel says worlds about your inability to understand that not everyone wants to be confined to the same template every single day.

I mean really you want to talk to me about letting the big kids speak? well heres a clue for you, big kids don't form opinions about other players based on what character type they use in a video game.

The short version is: I disagree that precasting took skill, and some moron says that makes me a trammel supporter.

A

Aragon100

This is not a classic server.

I have to ask, is this the classic server we have been waiting to get an answer on before the end of 2010?

I also have to ask if this is a tryout to see if there is an interest in a classic server?

If yes to both questions then this is a impressive fail.

Very few of the ones waiting for a pre AoS classic server will join a fake classic server with AoS settings.

Classic server means the return of pre AoS gameplay, nothing else.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Trick or Treat? You decide...

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GG Stratics, calling it a Classic Shard before the Herald announcement was posted was just asking for trouble. Mythic call it Shard of the Dead which is obviously a Halloween shard, the classic part was courtesy of the Stratics announcement. Was it described to them as a classic shard? Who knows. All I see is a bunch of people getting mad at the devs because they had their hopes up due to wording that the dev team may not have even used..

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Shrug*

This shard isent exactly what I want, infact its quite a way off. However, as a player that hasnt played for near a year this news article, although its misleading, has got me playing again and im enjoying it so far.

The SOTD is a Halloween server as a few have pointed out, there are A LOT of bugs present, i.e. Quest Givers pointing me to locations I can't get to, 10million Red Healers in Jhelom and so fourth, but...as a returning player this has given me the chance to start a fresh with everyone else. No one has items that I dont (well they do now, but its not crazy) and everyone seems interested in helping each another.

I wouldnt return to play this server full time, it seems like a slightly polished Siege - no offense guys - but its a step in the right direction. The question for me is, can the development team take the next step quick enough to stop all those people who returned due to this misleading newstitle from quiting?

We'll see.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GG Stratics, calling it a Classic Shard before the Herald announcement was posted was just asking for trouble. Mythic call it Shard of the Dead which is obviously a Halloween shard, the classic part was courtesy of the Stratics announcement. Was it described to them as a classic shard? Who knows. All I see is a bunch of people getting mad at the devs because they had their hopes up due to wording that the dev team may not have even used.
I agree with this, anyone who is mad at the developers over this is not thinking clearly, the devs have never said anything about classic. What we have is a statement that Cal supposedly made saying that he was using this shard to gauge the interest for a possible classic shard, now obviously if that is the case it's true that it's far from a perfect way to test such a thing, but at the same time that's only if you don't consider the many other things they likely have going on.

It could turn out that this was really never meant to be anything more than a Halloween shard, and perhaps the people at Curse misinterpreted Cals words, but since we haven't heard from Cal himself yet it's really hard to know one way or another.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with this, anyone who is mad at the developers over this is not thinking clearly, the devs have never said anything about classic. What we have is a statement that Cal supposedly made saying that he was using this shard to gauge the interest for a possible classic shard, now obviously if that is the case it's true that it's far from a perfect way to test such a thing, but at the same time that's only if you don't consider the many other things they likely have going on.

It could turn out that this was really never meant to be anything more than a Halloween shard, and perhaps the people at Curse misinterpreted Cals words, but since we haven't heard from Cal himself yet it's really hard to know one way or another.
You should work in PR. :danceb:

[1] Curse Article...
Ultima Online Announces Shard of the Dead PvP Server!
The team over at Ultima Online was kind enough to give us an exclusive sneak-peak at the soon to be released shard "Shard of the Dead". This new shard is producer Cal Crowner's attempt to judge the viability of a full-blown "old school" PvP server. It's also an attempt to re-invigorate players who feel like much of the free-form gameplay and consequence that founded the game no longer exists.
This new server will launch Friday and stay open for a month or two based on popularity
[2] Stratics Network Article...
Ultima Online announced today the release of a classic shard based on the “old school” PvP server!
The new "Shard of the Dead" is an attempt to gauge the interest levels of re-opening a full-blown "old school" PvP server. UO producer Cal Crowner hopes this will excite the players who preferred the classic free-form gameplay of Ultima Online with harsh consequences when your character is defeated by another.
Shard of the Dead will remain open for one to two months, depending on the player response.

F

Førsaken

.I didn't miss it
Do you really think the devs... that they would just slap together fel only and no insurance and call it classic?
In case you missed the OP...

The new "Shard of the Dead" is an attempt to gauge the interest levels of re-opening a full-blown “old school” PvP server. UO producer Cal Crowner hopes this will excite the players who preferred the classic free-form gameplay of Ultima Online with harsh consequences when your character is defeated by another.
Yes. they. have... They removed ROT from Seige and called it Classic!!!! :lol:
And yes, this does make me clever...Try harder next time!

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And yes, this does make me clever...Try harder next time!
No, no it doesn't, not one bit actually, and for the record since you two haven't figured it out yet, check UO.com..no no I'll link you directly to it so you don't get further lost in your own ignorance.

Welcome...to the Shard of the Dead! | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online

Funny no mention of a classic shard anywhere huh? in fact the only place you find the word classic is here at stratics, where it was obviously a huge mistake to call this classic, it's caused more then enough confusion.

You should work in PR.
You should be a lobbyist.

[1] Curse Article...
Quote:
Ultima Online Announces Shard of the Dead PvP Server!
The team over at Ultima Online was kind enough to give us an exclusive sneak-peak at the soon to be released shard "Shard of the Dead". This new shard is producer Cal Crowner's attempt to judge the viability of a full-blown "old school" PvP server. It's also an attempt to re-invigorate players who feel like much of the free-form gameplay and consequence that founded the game no longer exists.
This new server will launch Friday and stay open for a month or two based on popularity.
Says nothing about this test shard being classic.

[2] Stratics Network Article...
Quote:
Shard of the Dead will remain open for one to two months, depending on the player response.
Only mention of classic is on stratics not on UO.com where it says specifically what the shard is.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
False advertising at best and if people are spending money thinking it is a classic shard mythic can face legal issues. For most of us that want a classic shard, the meaning behind a classic shard is first and foremost Pre AOS items and skills, with out that as the foundation we cannot begin to call it classic.

Now we are just players and this is a test shard, whose to say they are not just laying down the ground work and trying to code Pre AOS mechanics a little bit at a time, and add them in as the player base submits info? Many times throughout my time with UO many systems were built into UO while the test shard remained active, remember that whacked out test shard that was active for a year or so with the mad cows?, no/few wipes? To make a classic server is not like the freeshards they have to develop a system that works with their servers and coding, best way is to chunk it in a piece at a time.

Start with just the Britannia Map, No insurance, all fel ruleset as the foundation. Add/remove/tweak systems over the next couple months per player feed back, end result being a classic shard everyone will enjoy that will work on Mythics server and code. If this is their plan then I am all for it 100% and suggest everyone that has interest for a classic shard to play it and submit your feed back. As you never know they can be reading this thread while writing the code that removes Aos properties and reverts them back to what item properties were. So i say to not be short with what is going on and see how it develops over the next month or so. This is a process that will take some time, while trying to maintain and add content to what we have already. We can very well be building the next booster pack. as we are within their time frames of boosters. :grouphug:

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree Kaleb on the second part, not the false advertising thing, and that is pretty much what I have been talking about the entire time, that's the only reason I resubbed, it is possible that this is nothing more then a Halloween shard and that's fine if it turns out to be the case then I will just pull the plug on my account later.

All these back and forth arguments really are pointless, it isn't even in our hands as to the final decision, it's up to the devs and their bosses, and if they make a choice either way there will be people on either side who feel it was the wrong one.

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran around naked and snooped some guy's pack. He panicked, ran for awhile, then attacked me and got guardwhacked. I took all his crap and was naked but wearing his hat.

If that's not classic UO, what is?

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah I have a few questions too.

1. Are skills capped at 100 (i.e. no power scrolls)?

2. Are there no items with properties? Is GM Armor and Weapons the best available?

3. Are the skills available only pre-pub 16 (i.e. no necro, no chiv, no sw, no myst, no imbuing, etc)?

4. Can we place a classic style house and not have it count against our current houses on existing servers?

-OBSIDIAN-

THIS is the shard I want right here. This is classic UO. There needs to be NO powerscrolls, NO imbuing, NO magical properties on armor and weapons. Bring back the old vanquishing, etc., system for weps but that's about it. And yeah, take away all the post renaissance skills. I want to go back to the UO where everyone is running around in pure chaotic warfare with their full platemail armor, heavy xbows, halberds, etc. And BRING BACK BOUNTY BOARDS!!!! I want this shard to have the capabilities of descending into complete and utter chaos where PK clans are controlling entire dungeons for days or weeks at a time and the "good guys" are running around trying to clear paths to the moongates for the innocent to travel between towns. There should be no chance for someone to be able to dominate the rest because they've been fortunate enough to be the first one to get to 120 magery/eval/med and have 20 imbued suits waiting for them inside their houses around yew gate. Give us a real classic shard instead of mixing in the old with the new.

F

Fayled Dhreams

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you enjoying the "trick" that is playing out on yourselves?

WHO called the shard of the dead a "Classic Server"?
George Vanous did

*ahem*

Really Cal? this "quote" IS directly attributable(you said it to george for publication) ... Really?
Ultima Online Announces Shard of the Dead PvP Server! - Ultima Online - Curse
It is going viral ... :danceb:

By the By
Finally!

For all of you who posted 6 years of "beating dead horse" emoticons...........

:eek:snap:

:bdh:
(Checks to see that it's not April).
cal:bdh:classic shard

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok. So which moron here at Stratics put in CLASSIC here and OLD SCHOOL there etc etc.

Who ever it was should be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.