• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NETWORK] Ultima Online - Classic PvP server is back online!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

copycon

This is ridiculous. This will not give an accurate representation of people who are interested in a classic shard for any reason.

Firstly, it is temporary. Very few people are going to sign up for a temporary shard, let alone for any of the changes that were made.

Here is my response to the changes:

1. No items will be blessed, except for spellbooks of all types, and runebooks
Response: Good

2. Item insurance system disabled.

3. Always nighttime.
Response: Bad

4. No handouts for new players, start the game as you are and work hard to achieve things in game.

5. Accelerate skill gain 10X so players can get to max level quickly.
Response: Bad. This is a handout and as such makes the "no handouts" point invalid.

6. Only Felucca facet will exist.

7. Allow Glass Sword of Shattering (one shot kill sword that shatters when used. Players can only have one at a time and never trade/sell them).

8. New King of the Tower game to obtain Glass Sword.

9. Only one guard zone in Britian.

10. All characters receive advanced character token at login.
Response: Bad. Again, another handout.

11. Players must wait 7 days to delete their characters

The bad points that I listed above are completely unnecessary and will skew the result of the test dramatically.

Please try again EA.

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not that bad...

because it is temporary they are adding the advance char and faster skill gain. I can live with that for a test center.

The glass sword is just for the fun of it. I can live with that.

I think the most important thing is to see what rule set they stick with. Right now, I expect our current rule se to apply... which is the biggest issue.

C

copycon

Your review: Bad
I'll wait for you to tell me why.

Let me ask you a question. What is it about this that will draw attention from people like me?

I already gave my opinion, and I can assure you that I am not alone.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wont stop people from having Ninjitsu,Chiv,Bushido or Necro. You get those books by taking the skill upon creation.

And sure, Necromancy doesnt come with a full book. But you can get the important scrolls by hunting Liches.
You are right, I totally forgot about that. Hopefully the devs won't and these skills will not be available upon character creation.

C

copycon

It's not that bad...

because it is temporary they are adding the advance char and faster skill gain. I can live with that for a test center.
I agree. The faster skill gain / advanced character thing is necessary for a temporary shard. Therein lies the rub. A huge portion of the experience has been negated by removing the challenge involved in developing a character.

The glass sword is just for the fun of it. I can live with that.
People are going to lose interest in PvP quickly or avoid it entirely knowing that the person they are fighting against can kill them with their 1-shot magic "LOL newb" trammy sword. That is my concern.

I think the most important thing is to see what rule set they stick with. Right now, I expect our current rule se to apply... which is the biggest issue.
The rules are VERY important, and I hope they at least get that right, but with the previous 2 points it's certainly not looking good in their favor.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the glass sword should stay. Doesnt anyone else remember the Glass Sword from the UO demo that you had to kill the dragon with?

Granted, I was one of those people who didn't use the sword, left the dragon alone, trapped that annoying wisp in a building, and then went off and enjoyed immortality.

B

Beer_Cayse

and all of the bad items in your list are why I also feel it's not a brilliant maneuver. <shrug>

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CopyCon, imo it is really poor form by EA to call this a Classic Shard when it is just a copy of Siege without ROT. But hey, if EA EMs and whatnot keep on repeating that is it a Classic Shard, they will CONvince enough dumbarses that it is. :danceb:

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is ridiculous. This will not give an accurate representation of people who are interested in a classic shard for any reason.

Firstly, it is temporary. Very few people are going to sign up for a temporary shard, let alone for any of the changes that were made.
True, but I'm guessing they will comparing apples to apples and be using the current playerbase as a rough gauge. ie comparing what's the activity level like on this shard compared to other similar test shards they have in the past. Remember the vampire one?

Besides, they can always hold another welcome back once they have the initial numbers and then see how if a "welcome back" in this situation will garner more numbers than their typical welcome back.

Short of releasing a free shard, they won't be able to get ex players to test it out and show the management if a classic shard does indeed still have a viable audience.

Gotta start somewhere.

Agreed

2. Item insurance system disabled.
Agreed

3. Always nighttime.
Mixed feelings. If there are no AOS/night sight items, this forces more players to pick up magery just for night sight. Then again, players already have to deal with nights half the time and dungeons now. Those going to dungeons will also make sure they can cast night sight or use a potion. Impact isn't that big. Will night sight expire every 12 in game hours like it does now?

4. No handouts for new players, start the game as you are and work hard to achieve things in game.
Agreed.

Response: Bad. This is a handout and as such makes the "no handouts" point invalid.
I believe this is enabled since it's a temp 2 month prototype. No one wants to train for weeks only to be able to play on a temp shard. Otherwise it runs contrary to point 4.

6. Only Felucca facet will exist.
Agreed.

7. Allow Glass Sword of Shattering (one shot kill sword that shatters when used. Players can only have one at a time and never trade/sell them).
Mixed feelings about this. I dislike 1 hitters. No chance to heal/run/retaliate, but it does allow blues to defend themselves from PKs or discourage them from attacking. Maybe add an extra requirement that the shatter damage will only be done when defending? But then everyone will carry one and won't attack anybody else. Next, ppl will use a dummy char to force the opponent to used up his glass sword. I dunno, I'm just thinking how I will defend against it and force others to use up their trump card.

Actually, if they do implement glass swords, i think having a quest to get one is much better than being able to make or buy one.

9. Only one guard zone in Britian.
Agreed. This will allow people to congregate in Brit again.

10. All characters receive advanced character token at login.
Response: Bad. Again, another handout.
I am guessing the token is only for the 2 month prototype

Depends. On a test shard, it's not required. On a prod shard, unless it's a 1 char per account shard like Siege, this prevents players from repeatedly creating newbies for starting resources (no matter how meager)

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and all of the bad items in your list are why I also feel it's not a brilliant maneuver. <shrug>
Thought you were quitting?

I'll wait for you to tell me why.

Let me ask you a question. What is it about this that will draw attention from people like me?

I already gave my opinion, and I can assure you that I am not alone.
How is accelerated skill gain a handout? The reason I never tried Siege was because I'm not wasting my time on a 13 year old game with some garbage skill wait timer. I've trained and trained and trained and trained characters...why would I want to do it again? I also like the approach that you can't just set skills like a test shard, so that it gives you a realistic view of what the shard would be like. I am and have never been for a "classic" server, but if it means no mysticism I'll try anything...

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, if they do implement glass swords, i think having a quest to get one is much better than being able to make or buy one.

--------

I actually think it's going to be a PvP event, maybe once a day or every 6 or so hours. Kind of like a last player standing.

C

copycon

Thank you for this. I appreciate the constructive feedback to my response.

I'll strip out the points that we agree on and respond accordingly.

True, but I'm guessing they will comparing apples to apples and be using the current playerbase as a rough gauge. ie comparing what's the activity level like on this shard compared to other similar test shards they have in the past. Remember the vampire one?
I can't say that I do because I never played it or knew of it's existence. But, the problem I have is with the apparent goal that they are trying to appeal to past subscribers. Current player base does not represent past subscribers no matter which way you look at it. I am a past subscriber and as soon as I saw what changes were made I lost interest immediately.

Short of releasing a free shard, they won't be able to get ex players to test it out and show the management if a classic shard does indeed still have a viable audience.

Gotta start somewhere.
Very true, and I also think they are approaching it the wrong way. If it were free to play and advertised accordingly, I think it would garner at least some interest. Personally, I refuse to pay to resubscribe for this in it's current form though.

3. Always nighttime.
Mixed feelings. If there are no AOS/night sight items, this forces more players to pick up magery just for night sight. Then again, players already have to deal with nights half the time and dungeons now. Those going to dungeons will also make sure they can cast night sight or use a potion. Impact isn't that big. Will night sight expire every 12 in game hours like it does now?
I don't think player impact is the concern. I think it is the fact that this has absolutely no relevance to era accuracy or PvP at all. This seems to be something aimed for a halloween theme more than anything else, and if that is the focus, do it to the other shards.

I believe this is enabled since it's a temp 2 month prototype. No one wants to train for weeks only to be able to play on a temp shard. Otherwise it runs contrary to point 4.
I get that. It is the premise that bothers me. As I said before, a huge part of the experience back then was the challenge involved in developing a character. This defeats the purpose entirely.

Mixed feelings about this. I dislike 1 hitters. No chance to heal/run/retaliate, but it does allow blues to defend themselves from PKs or discourage them from attacking. Maybe add an extra requirement that the shatter damage will only be done when defending? But then everyone will carry one and won't attack anybody else. Next, ppl will use a dummy char to force the opponent to used up his glass sword. I dunno, I'm just thinking how I will defend against it and force others to use up their trump card.
They need to scratch this idea. No player should have a trump card. Ever.

Part of the challenge needs to be avoiding or escaping PKs to have any hope of emulating that level of excitement.

Agreed. At the very least, if these exist come launch time the player should have to do something to get the glass sword as opposed to obtaining them at will.

C

copycon

How is accelerated skill gain a handout? The reason I never tried Siege was because I'm not wasting my time on a 13 year old game with some garbage skill wait timer. I've trained and trained and trained and trained characters...why would I want to do it again? I also like the approach that you can't just set skills like a test shard, so that it gives you a realistic view of what the shard would be like. I am and have never been for a "classic" server, but if it means no mysticism I'll try anything...
I can see that you are not the type of person that a new shard is meant to appeal to. A huge part of the excitement with starting fresh on a new shard is developing a new character and struggling for power over others who are doing the same thing. If you are so bored with that, then maybe you need to look elsewhere.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see that you are not the type of person that a new shard is meant to appeal to. A huge part of the excitement with starting fresh on a new shard is developing a new character and struggling for power over others who are doing the same thing. If you are so bored with that, then maybe you need to look elsewhere.
I play for PvP. Period.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This shard isn't classic obviously but the way I read it they are merely using it to get an idea of what the real interest for a classic shard could be, while that is a bit hazardous considering the minor changes, I imagine this idea was thrown together and done very quickly.

Depending on the population rate it could lead to the green light for a classic shard, so I would say to all supporters from both of those threads we had a while back get in and show your voice and leave feedback etc.

If you have connections to any of the free shards post on their boards as well and let them know, get the interest going because this could be the only real shot the idea will ever have, even I just resubbed to check this out.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
errrr april fool this is the same olde halloween shard.... bloody grow up and stop getting peeps hopes of a classic server up...it wont happen while ive got a hole in my arse.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree...once we get this shiny new classic server is it gonna get the same attention SP does? And if it doesn't why is that? And if it gets the attention just like prodo shards do then why doesn't SP? So let's pretend it does so we got prodo getting 85% of the devs time and classic getting the other 14% so that puts SP right around 1%. So another words from EA...**** SP...is that politically correct to say?

Bottom line is SP gets the shaft once again...and EA will continue to blow more smoke up our arses acting like they give a rat's ass...

Then look at it this way everything we as a community has done is down the ****hole...wait!

Let's go to another server (actually another SP or what SP is "suppose" to be) and let's hope they don't **** all over the classic server too...

P.S. Everything you have done on SP has been for nothing so start over on this shiny new classic server and "hope" it don't get treated like SP has or get thrown away and people have to start all over again...

Was that a rant or fact?

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[size=+1]Ultima Online - Classic PvP server is back online![/size]
Submitted by George Vanous on Fri, 10/29/2010 - 07:17

Ultima Online announced today the release of a classic shard based on the “old school” PvP server!

The new "Shard of the Dead" is an attempt to gauge the interest levels of re-opening a full-blown "old school" PvP server. UO producer Cal Crowner hopes this will excite the players who preferred the classic free-form gameplay of Ultima Online with harsh consequences when your character is defeated by another.

Shard of the Dead will remain open for one to two months, depending on the player response.

Here is a look at the features for this new server.

Features of "Shard of the Dead"

2. Item insurance system disabled
3. Always nighttime
4. No handouts for new players, start the game as you are and work hard to achieve things in game
5. Accelerate skill gain 10X so players can get to max level quickly
6. Only Felucca facet will exist
7. Allow Glass Sword of Shattering (one shot kill sword that shatters when used. Players can only have one at a time and never trade/sell them)
8. New King of the Tower game to obtain Glass Sword
9. Only one guard zone in Britian
10. All characters receive advanced character token at login

To get started, or re-enable an old account visit the account management page!
Isn't that what Siege Perilous was suppose to be and we BARELY get devs help on anything? So you wanna open another *special* shard? From the response/devotion that SP has gotten it's a waste of time...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
errrr april fool this is the same olde halloween shard.... bloody grow up and stop getting peeps hopes of a classic server up...it wont happen while ive got a hole in my arse.
It's pretty much a *specialty* shard and if you wanna read a book PM me and i'll tell you how the devs have treated Siege Perilous...

C

copycon

I agree...once we get this shiny new classic server is it gonna get the same attention SP does? And if it doesn't why is that? And if it gets the attention just like prodo shards do then why doesn't SP? So let's pretend it does so we got prodo getting 85% of the devs time and classic getting the other 14% so that puts SP right around 1%. So another words from EA...**** SP...is that politically correct to say?

Bottom line is SP gets the shaft once again...and EA will continue to blow more smoke up our arses acting like they give a rat's ass...

Then look at it this way everything we as a community has done is down the ****hole...wait!

Let's go to another server (actually another SP or what SP is "suppose" to be) and let's hope they don't **** all over the classic server too...

P.S. Everything you have done on SP has been for nothing so start over on this shiny new classic server and "hope" it don't get treated like SP has or get thrown away and people have to start all over again...

Was that a rant or fact?
What is it about SP that makes everyone feel like they've been shafted?

Just curious...

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's nowhere near April and read from the link that petra posted

The team over at Ultima Online was kind enough to give us an exclusive sneak-peak at the soon to be released shard "Shard of the Dead". This new shard is producer Cal Crowner's attempt to judge the viability of a full-blown "old school" PvP server. It's also an attempt to re-invigorate players who feel like much of the free-form gameplay and consequence that founded the game no longer exists.

This new server will launch Friday and stay open for a month or two based on popularity. Here's a look at some of the features and highlights of the ruleset for this new server:
If that is indeed true then I say thank you to Cal and don't let the haters bring it down!

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If that is indeed true then I say thank you to Cal and don't let the haters bring it down!
The "Haters" have a point, though.

Classic UO did not contain:

1) Advanced Tokens
2) Accelerated Skill Gain
3) 1-hit wonder weapons
4) A limited life expectancy of 1-2 months.

Also, there is no information yet on their choice of itemization, or skill availabilities.

Given the information and design so far, this appears to be little more than a test to see if players are yet mature enough to handle "Losing their ****" to other players. And then after 1-2 months, losing ALL their ****.

It is not, in any way, a gauge of PvP or a precursor that would be indicative of the success of a "Classic" shard, which of course, is not desired strictly for it's PvP aspects.

They are doing this for fun, and really nothing more, because nothing more of any value could possibly come of it.

I also wouldn't put it past EA (Business, not Devs) to point to the inevitable failure of this shard as justification to obstruct any future discussions of a Classic shard, or any other type, while completely failing to grasp the fact that this experiment has next to nothing in common with a Classic shard, and misses the reasons behind the desire for one entirely. It has all the makings of a business-decision screw over just waiting to happen.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
look u have a fooooooking choice

classic publish 16 pvp shard .....gonna be packed to the hilt.. nre land new housing for everyone........[.or]

siege with 200-300 peeps on it...and the crap that comes with it...

get over it siege.....

classic server will be the new atlantic................

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1) Advanced Tokens
3) 1-hit wonder weapons
I know that very well, I addressed that earlier, judging by the post that petra linked to this is a test to gauge interest in a possible classic shard, meaning that this was likely thrown together rather quickly and I strongly doubt that if enough interest is garnered in classic, that this will be a representation of the final product.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.. this is a test to gauge interest in a possible classic shard, meaning that this was likely thrown together rather quickly and I strongly doubt that if enough interest is garnered in classic, that this will be a representation of the final product.
This is the straw-man EA is going to use to justify not pursing a classic shard option.

Just wait, and watch.

If I'm wrong, I'll happily have some mustard on my Crow.. Or Crow Tar Tar if you would prefer.

C

copycon

1) Advanced Tokens
3) 1-hit wonder weapons

Also, there is no information yet on their choice of itemization, or skill availabilities.

Given the information and design so far, this appears to be little more than a test to see if players are yet mature enough to handle "Losing their ****" to other players. And then after 1-2 months, losing ALL their ****.

It is not, in any way, a gauge of PvP or a precursor that would be indicative of the success of a "Classic" shard, which of course, is not desired strictly for it's PvP aspects.

They are doing this for fun, and really nothing more, because nothing more of any value could possibly come of it.

I also wouldn't put it past EA (Business, not Devs) to point to the inevitable failure of this shard as justification to obstruct any future discussions of a Classic shard, or any other type, while completely failing to grasp the fact that this experiment has next to nothing in common with a Classic shard, and misses the reasons behind the desire for one entirely. It has all the makings of a business-decision screw over just waiting to happen.
You make a lot of good points.

I think the last paragraph could be very true. That is an angle that I did not consider.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Folks don't get too excited, this is just another temporary Halloween shard, with a few different wrinkles. I'm afraid I'm with the people that see this as a poor test of the "classic shard" concept. Other than the lack of insurance and blessed items it is in no way even remotely what people have been asking for in a "classic" shard.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ook u have a fooooooking choice

classic publish 16 pvp shard .....gonna be packed to the hilt.. nre land new housing for everyone........[.or]

siege with 200-300 peeps on it...and the crap that comes with it...

get over it siege.....
I have no beef with siege players and I do understand their frustration, and whatever publish a classic shard launches with should be pre-trammel I don't want to start an argument about it in this thread as it isn't the place for it but I have gone into it enough in the classic shard threads as to why I believe so.

Basically though it's put up or shutup time for those of us that want a classic option, if we fail to draw the attention to it and don't get it later on, then we have only ourselves to blame.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously this is the new version of the Halloween shard way back when. It was lag hell but fun as hell.

Everyone's idea of Classic shard seems different. Already someone thinks the Vanquishing didn't or shouldn't exist.

Good points made that siege should be reworked into a classic and not make a new shad.

M

MonkeyDLuffy

Ultima Online announced today the release of a classic shard based on the “old school” PvP server!

The new "Shard of the Dead" is an attempt to gauge the interest levels of re-opening a full-blown "old school" PvP server. UO producer Cal Crowner hopes this will excite the players who preferred the classic free-form gameplay of Ultima Online with harsh consequences when your character is defeated by another.

Shard of the Dead will remain open for one to two months, depending on the player response.

3. Always nighttime
4. No handouts for new players, start the game as you are and work hard to achieve things in game
7. Allow Glass Sword of Shattering (one shot kill sword that shatters when used. Players can only have one at a time and never trade/sell them)

what about those funny GMs? they used to be part of the fun.

G

Green Mouser

Is this pre aos? Pre imbuing? Pre pub 16? Will we all have no insurance but ridiculous imbued items?
If there is no insurance you will see fewer and fewer imbued items. Who wants to spend all the resources for something that is gonna end up in another's pack?

No need to be a purest. Loss of insurance will cure most of your whines.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good points made that siege should be reworked into a classic and not make a new shad.
No, they are not good points. They are arguments by Siege players used to leverage their complaints that nothing is done with Siege.

Siege is not, in any way, nor has it ever been anything close to "Classic" other than the fact that it has no insurance and Fel rules.

For Siege to be reworked to meet the request for a classic shard, it'd have to drop ROT entirely, drop all itemization, drop all land mass but the original lands, allow more than one character, and remove custom housing.

In other words: Destroy the shard entirely.

The people who want a Classic shard will never, EVER play Siege, because Siege has never, ever been "Classic". You can take that to the bank.

I feel for Siege players on one level, but then again, I don't get their complaints from another. There isn't a patch on prodo shards that doesn't hit Siege, so how is it that siege isn't "getting any love"?

It's one thing for Siege players to complain that the unique issues of Siege. But all those complaints seem to be minor variations of "Make this a Prodo shard with only Fel Rules, no insurance, and 1 character, and vendors don't buy anything"... Which aside from turning of Rot ENTIRELY, I don't see how you're too far off.

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regardless the fact its only temporary im GOING to invest time in it so it SHOW's that im interested in a Classic shard,

if it takes me playing on a temp shard for a month to get the momentium going for a REAL CLASSIC shard then im game..

people can bash it, but its the ONE OPPERTUNITY to have a voice.....

that to me is worth GOLD

[edit] to all the seige players complaining, seige couldn't be father apart from what most people vision a classic shard to be, they are MILES APART

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will be there. I would say that if the interest is shown, we will see Seige get the new rule sets and that will become our "Classic" shard.

To those Seige whiners.... that shard has NEVER been anything even remotely close to "Classic" game play.

My perfect vision of a classic shard is an EXACT mirror of Pub 15. :love: Pub 16 started the destruction of UO for most of us. IMHO.

C

copycon

Among all of the negativity, there is one thing that this post does show. It shows that there has been some development effort and focus towards reverse engineering UO to suit a classic ruleset and is proof that steps are being taken to provide a large part of the community what they want.

For that, I am grateful and I am hopeful that it continues.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since this is only a TEST to measure peoples interest in it, awesome! Perhaps if it succeeds they will make even more changes to the shard to make it more classic.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if it takes me playing on a temp shard for a month to get the momentium going for a REAL CLASSIC shard then im game..

I will be there. I would say that if the interest is shown, we will see Seige get the new rule sets and that will become our "Classic" shard. .
It shows that there has been some development effort and focus towards reverse engineering UO to suit a classic ruleset and is proof that steps are being taken to provide a large part of the community what they want.
*Sigh*

E

Emosocial

So let's see, we already have a pvp shard...they just aren't "classic". .......... I wonder IF this shard is made, how long before it's abandoned like Siege?
Siege is not a "pvp shard". its a who can out stealth who shard.

Siege was long abandoned because it was impossible for newer players to get up to compete with the veteran Siege players that run around with multiple blessed items on their characters.

No new players = terminally ill shard. You did it to yourselves kids. If you want siege to start getting newer players, throw all of your blessed items in the trash can. Odds are that none of you will, but you will still complain that you cant get new players.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, they are not good points. They are arguments by Siege players used to leverage their complaints that nothing is done with Siege.

Siege is not, in any way, nor has it ever been anything close to "Classic" other than the fact that it has no insurance and Fel rules.

For Siege to be reworked to meet the request for a classic shard, it'd have to drop ROT entirely, drop all itemization, drop all land mass but the original lands, allow more than one character, and remove custom housing.

In other words: Destroy the shard entirely.

The people who want a Classic shard will never, EVER play Siege, because Siege has never, ever been "Classic". You can take that to the bank.

I feel for Siege players on one level, but then again, I don't get their complaints from another. There isn't a patch on prodo shards that doesn't hit Siege, so how is it that siege isn't "getting any love"?

It's one thing for Siege players to complain that the unique issues of Siege. But all those complaints seem to be minor variations of "Make this a Prodo shard with only Fel Rules, no insurance, and 1 character, and vendors don't buy anything"... Which aside from turning of Rot ENTIRELY, I don't see how you're too far off.
There's my point right there!

The garbage crap from prodo shard got thrown on SP when it whould have never been put on SP...so your actually right we got publishes just like prodo when it shoulda never happened...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege is not a "pvp shard". its a who can out stealth who shard.

Siege was long abandoned because it was impossible for newer players to get up to compete with the veteran Siege players that run around with multiple blessed items on their characters.

No new players = terminally ill shard. You did it to yourselves kids. If you want siege to start getting newer players, throw all of your blessed items in the trash can. Odds are that none of you will, but you will still complain that you cant get new players.

SP has been around since 1999 where were you then? Blessed items? Please refresh my memory about blessed items? BTW, your talking out your ass...

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will be there. I would say that if the interest is shown, we will see Seige get the new rule sets and that will become our "Classic" shard.

To those Seige whiners.... that shard has NEVER been anything even remotely close to "Classic" game play.

My perfect vision of a classic shard is an EXACT mirror of Pub 15. :love: Pub 16 started the destruction of UO for most of us. IMHO.
I'm guessing you didn't play SP in 1999 did you? See this is the problem the garbage patches that put garbage on prod shards got put onto our shard too!

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's my point right there!

The garbage crap from prodo shard got thrown on SP when it whould have never been put on SP...so your actually right we got publishes just like prodo when it shoulda never happened...
Ok.. That makes more sense that Siege never should have been changed.

If that were true, yes, it would be a good start for a classic shard.

The problem is, it's already gone too far down the path to change it back without likely upsetting a portion of it's existing user base.. And I wouldn't blame them.

Sorry man, Siege got a bum rap, but it's too late now.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regardless the fact its only temporary im GOING to invest time in it so it SHOW's that im interested in a Classic shard,

that to me is worth GOLD

[edit] to all the seige players complaining, seige couldn't be father apart from what most people vision a classic shard to be, they are MILES APART
In 1999 they were closer than you think...its not our fault the devs was too lazy to make sp unique instead of just throwing prodo garbage on our shard...

I

ikaikaman

these rulese are not Classics.

Classics means before Sunswords!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

Chardonnay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

3. Always nighttime

This is about the farthest thing from a classic shard as i can think of...

P.S. #4 and #10 are complete contradictions...

E

Emosocial

This is the starting point for a "classic" shard. Go back to pub 15 and and tweak settings from there.

No fc/fcr, no resists, no arties, no ninja/necro/chiv, no scrolls. Item bless deeds were rare enough to be found 1 per server if that and back then cost 100mil or more and there were no personal bless deeds.

Clothing bless deeds for some nice colored sandals and maybe a half apron. 30 of each reg for a 7xgm mage and its game on.

That server would bring back a GRIP of pvp'ers and purists.

Status
Not open for further replies.