• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Make IDOCs like they used to be

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but the question still remains unanswed by the Devs...

''why did u change a Idoc system that worked perfectly for many many years''.....what promted such a change that clearly benefits the afk scripters now and the people that were prepared to sit 10 hours anyways...now they just sit half that....

loving the free bumps by the way.......while we wait for the DEV RESPONSE on this HOT PotatO

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Worked perfectly according to who? What exactly was perfect about it? Timed stages for an event that was supposed to be random were in fact the definition of imperfect.
2) New system clearly benefits the casual and pro idoccer alike and now anyone else has a better shot at randomly running by a collapse. That is a good thing imo.
3) Free bumps are worth nothing when we all know the devs stance on the issue lol.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man I wish I was a mod here, this crap would have been killed at the third post.

PvP is for leet people and the EC sucks vs CC(this should do it)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heheh ill take the bumps.. the AFK scripters need to be stopped in there tracks

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bumpety, bump, bump, bump...

*whistles for a dev to come into the thread and help me with my English*

Btw, are AFK scripters worse then at the keyboard scripters?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AFK scripter are keyboard scripter...simply running a loop program while they are not there...Instant Ban on the account in my eyes

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Huh?
How is there any more chance that under the new system things go poof forever?
In your own words you said it favors the afk scripter so wouldn't that person be getting those items you are so worried about?
Items btw that basically represented some unfortunate person's whole UO existence.
You like the idea of people picking through that poor persons items/existence why? For pixel history? Lol at that.
Why are the few people so worried about history in this thread not all starting and running museums on their home shard btw? Legit and expensive museums that would truly represent what is supposedly historical on that shard.

The items no longer belong to anyone and nobody has any rights to them so if they do indeed just go poof that is not a bad thing imo. And that ofc is the idea behind random fall times which btw have been around since the beginning of UO I believe. Sure you could narrow it down to very, very close to when it would fall but it was never exact or a known and planned time.
People seem to have forgotten that since they have made it their greedy business to pluck items off the ground to mainly just sell for cash. And if you don't believe that the large majority of pro idoccers are gold sellers you are just plain naïve.

More chance to lose things because fewer people now IDOC. Under the old system, if you watched it over about a week you could calculate the fall time pretty closely and arrange to be there. Now you just sit and wait for hours...which means fewer people have the time to do it.

I don't think people who do it are any more greedy than people who PVM for more valuable items and sell them or those who buy/sell high end items. It's just another way to make a living.

It's not about anyone having "rights" to them. Fewer people watching them means more items are lost. Not saying anyone has a right to them, just that it's sad when very rare or unique or historic items go poof.

As to "picking through that poor persons items/existence why?" The person, for whatever reason, abandoned the property. Just like in RL we have estate sales. That doesn't mean you get to look down your nose at people who do it.If you don't like the idea of it, just don't do it.

Reactions: THP

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
agrees......but nothing goes 'poof' the afk scripter looters have got that one covered

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simplest fix to combat trial account scriptors - fire over idoc area when the house falls. Would make idocing require an actual real character and at least some basic gameplay.

Now for the arguments that its too much work / to hard to make a 70s suit and heal a character thru fire...

Personally i agree that any system that promotes paying 1/3 of the time is poorly designed. the goal from a billing standpoint should be how much to charge to keep a house, and if a grace period should even be allowed for an account lapse.

Personally, i have no problem paying my bills on time. Dont want your house to fall? pay 2 weeks ahead of time rather than the last day. A house should fall (not idoc, actually fall) the second an account lapses. Dont want to risk that? load an account with game time.

imo a "house only" account should cost 5 dollars, with 1 dollar per character. But thats a whole other discussion about how much money EA has lost by an antiquated payment setup.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's an absolutely terrible idea. Trial accounts already have a fair amount of restrictions. I wanted to make sure this game was going to be worth playing before I spent any money on it, so I fully used the 2 week trial period before signing up. Change access to Haven only, and other people in that same circumstance will give up. Changing trial account access areas to suit IDOC spammers is completely absurd.
It´s not just the IDOC scripters. Wherever certain people can abuse trial accounts, they will.

One recent example is the "new" Blackthorn dungeon. Veteran players created trial accounts to be able to afk farm arties in total safety with their Young status monster ignore. And then the devs had to spend time fixing that.
Giving them access only to New Haven and Test Center will fix the IDOC issue, other issues where trial accounts are being abused atm plus it should prevent most if not all future exploits of them.
Spend some time now to code it and they won´t have to spend time later on again and again to fix future exploits.

And a truely new player will do just fine with limited access to NH and TC.
If this happened then the players who like spending their ingame time helping new players would visit NH often because they know that´s where they are. So any questions the new players might have would get easily answered.
And in NH they can train up most if not all skills plus make gold. The dungeon could be tweaked if needed.

And on TC they have access to the rest of Sosaria. Dungeons, Felucca, quests, whatever. Just set some skills, get a suit and out to explore they go.

I´m certain all the blatant cheating/exploits done by trial accounts causes the game to lose more players than trial accounts restricted to NH and TC would.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It´s not just the IDOC scripters. Wherever certain people can abuse trial accounts, they will.

One recent example is the "new" Blackthorn dungeon. Veteran players created trial accounts to be able to afk farm arties in total safety with their Young status monster ignore. And then the devs had to spend time fixing that.
Giving them access only to New Haven and Test Center will fix the IDOC issue, other issues where trial accounts are being abused atm plus it should prevent most if not all future exploits of them.
Spend some time now to code it and they won´t have to spend time later on again and again to fix future exploits.

And a truely new player will do just fine with limited access to NH and TC.
If this happened then the players who like spending their ingame time helping new players would visit NH often because they know that´s where they are. So any questions the new players might have would get easily answered.
And in NH they can train up most if not all skills plus make gold. The dungeon could be tweaked if needed.

And on TC they have access to the rest of Sosaria. Dungeons, Felucca, quests, whatever. Just set some skills, get a suit and out to explore they go.

I´m certain all the blatant cheating/exploits done by trial accounts causes the game to lose more players than trial accounts restricted to NH and TC would.
You just couldn't be more wrong on this. Blatant cheating on trial accounts causes the game to lose players? That's BS. There is zero purpose for this type of account if they are limited to New Haven or Test Center. Your example of fixing the exploit in Blackthorn's doesn't warrant limiting trial accounts to only those areas. Playing on Test Center is meaningless. You need to be able to meet players invested in the game on their respective shards.

My sister and I played for 4-5 years starting in the late 90's. Even with that experience, coming back to the game ten years later we still used the trial period to the fullest and we were STILL skeptical about signing up for a subscription based on the amount of activity we had seen. If we hadn't had the previous experience years ago, we likely wouldn't have stayed around. We stuck around longer than the trial period purely out of curiosity (and then got more interested in the game after the first full month when got into the fold with a regular group of players).

If they could code a fix to the Blackthorn issue you noted, then there must be a coding solution to the IDOC situation. The real likelihood is that they just don't have the resources to figure it out, and fixing it via a cheap shortcut like the one you're suggesting does more harm than good.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Personally, i have no problem paying my bills on time. Dont want your house to fall? pay 2 weeks ahead of time rather than the last day. A house should fall (not idoc, actually fall) the second an account lapses. Dont want to risk that? load an account with game time.
Seriously! Bums like the guy who started this thread: http://community.stratics.com/threads/what-is-going-on-with-housing.322262/page-2#post-2487558 then have the nerve to complain that two of their 14 houses fell because he only pays 11 of his accounts every two-three months?

Shame on the notion that anyone can not pay regularly for something, then complain when it's taken away!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so the simple simple answer to the OPs question....

MAKE IDOCS LIKE THEY USED TO BE

is to make Idocs like they used to be.....

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find the whole IDOC culture obscene. There have been dozens, hundreds, thousands, actually tens of thousands of IDOC's and with every one of them there are players salivating at the thought of getting more 'stuff' for free which they can then hoard or sell to add to their billions. IDOC's are seen as cause for great excitement where in reality its another UO player lost. There have literally been tens of thousands and with each one the game dies just a little bit more.

Make it so when a house collapses its gone with all of its possessions. lost forever. Theres already a thousand times more gold in the game than there needs to be and far far too many items. All that happens with IDOC's is that the wealth gets spread between the ever dwindling player base. This game will end up with a couple of thousand players each with a trillion gold and more items than they can ever use and still they will be wetting themselves with excitement when a house falls. Obscene.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i still like the idea of the area around the idoc turning fel rules.. but that just my op.

only lasting from drop to when you can place.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The classic I give up and have no valid points to state non argument

"make it like it used to be"

:facepalm:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just do like the rest "Hit play and Walk Away". Come back with packs full of goodies

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hit play and walk away is in every aspect of this game and only a fool would think that IDOC's are of any real concern.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

And the simple answer is...

No. Man up and adapt to the changes.