• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Make IDOCs like they used to be

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP IDOCS AS THEY ARE I LIKE THE RANDOM DROP ADDS TO THE EXCITEMENT DO NOT CHANGE THEM BACKTO THE OLD WAYS WHERE SCRIPTERS KNOW EXACTLY WHEN IT WILL FALL AND AUTO LOOT ITEMS LEAVE IT ALONE STOP CHANGING THINGS THIS WAY WORKS JUST FINE
I have noticed the changes have affected the "legit player" from doing idocs= less competition that's about it. I have heard there doing something new for idocs in the near future so stay tuned

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so what is the new time for idocs? i would like a timer on sign and a spawn of undead and deamons would be kool

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favorite lame excuse though is that the items are part of a shards history lol. Most ridiculous argument ever. pro idoccers should be able to work on a scheduled timer to be able to pluck these pieces of history off the ground so that they can sell them ingame for rl cash?
*shakes head*
I am one of those at least semi pro IDOCers. But no, I do not sell ingame, nor for RL cash. *Shakes head*

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today's castle idoc that was in OSI state skipped the IDOC stage and dropped whilst still being in greatly :( Caught a lot of people off guard on the timing :(

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today's castle idoc that was in OSI state skipped the IDOC stage and dropped whilst still being in greatly :( Caught a lot of people off guard on the timing :(
it didnt catch the afk young scripter..even though it fell in the bloody GW stage......wtf!!!! his program was still running set up at server up...b4 he went to work i guess and pinged the castle down nano seconds after placement was available...gu3ss he will have a nice surprize when he returns home later today.......awesome coding devs....really well done....what a bloody mess u have made...own freaking goal...sort this crap out that u have created devs...its plain dumb

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What happened with this game, why this castle down in GW stage???
Because it belonged to OSI. OSI idocs have always been oddities subject to no decipherable agenda. They seem to change at intervals longer than usual and have ALWAYS been liable to fall whenever they feel like it. They used to be severely bugged once too and never fell for months. At one time I would always give up once a house went OSI, now at least they only seem to go one full cycle - if that.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it didnt catch the afk young scripter..even though it fell in the bloody GW stage......wtf!!!! his program was still running set up at server up...b4 he went to work i guess and pinged the castle down nano seconds after placement was available...gu3ss he will have a nice surprize when he returns home later today.......awesome coding devs....really well done....what a bloody mess u have made...own freaking goal...sort this crap out that u have created devs...its plain dumb
I am afraid you are right, random falls will never catch out the scripter as they don't even have to be there to get their selected items. Unfortunately this seems to be what those arguing that the new times are better, do not get. As it is now the cheat wins every time.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps this has been covered. If that's case forgive me and carry on.

Why isn't anybody killing the scripter and looting all the non-blessed items? I didn't see any mention of this being an issue limited to Trammel. So I'm assuming people who do IDOCs are doing them on both facets, correct? So when an IDOC drops in Felucca do people kill the scripters immediately or do they alt-tab immediately to Stratics for a little QQ? ;)

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because it belonged to OSI. OSI idocs have always been oddities subject to no decipherable agenda. They seem to change at intervals longer than usual and have ALWAYS been liable to fall whenever they feel like it. They used to be severely bugged once too and never fell for months. At one time I would always give up once a house went OSI, now at least they only seem to go one full cycle - if that.
I was under the impression that an entire cycle totals to 5 days? The OSI lasted about 4 days & 4 hours in total.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am afraid you are right, random falls will never catch out the scripter as they don't even have to be there to get their selected items. Unfortunately this seems to be what those arguing that the new times are better, do not get. As it is now the cheat wins every time.
THE AFK SCRIPTERS ARE SIPLY LOVING THIS..proper case here...caught nearly all out except the 4 or 5 afk players that were simple set up and run a script form server up....

The devs need to wise up and smell the coffee....this is just giving the cheaters a early xmas box...hell...if they dont i think everyone will simply turn to the darksside...and join them ...what could be easier... why the hell dont the devs even reply to these posts.these threads that are screaming for change..are they trying to encourage everyone to cheat and script...will this become a game were people simply set u cheat macro scripts on server up wether in doom farming or at a idoc then simply log in and reap there rewards...then log off ....simply to relog the next day b4 work and set another script running etc etc etc,,,is this the way the devs want the game to go.....because its bloody going that way like a runaway train.....................wake up devs!!!!!!!!!!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Why isn't anybody killing the scripter and looting all the non-blessed items? I didn't see any mention of this being an issue limited to Trammel. So I'm assuming people who do IDOCs are doing them on both facets, correct? So when an IDOC drops in Felucca do people kill the scripters immediately or do they alt-tab immediately to Stratics for a little QQ? ;)
Because the scripter is 9 out of 10 times a "young".... using the youthful status to allow himself complete freedom. You can't even lure things on them... they hide and there is no way to reveal them in Tram. That's why. And if I gave a rats about fel I'd be there. Truth is a tram Castle is worth 2 or 3 times as much as a Fel one.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was under the impression that an entire cycle totals to 5 days? The OSI lasted about 4 days & 4 hours in total.
YES and that is as I said before because it belonged to OSI. Although they now USUALLY go a full cycle, as I also said they can fall ANYTIME, and that does mean anytime they do not all go full cycle.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

im.fel it is not much of a problem i use my gm detect hidden and kill them with my other account or guild members

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can a dev please comment on whet the hell is going on supporting the scriping cheaters...i have seen a few posts by the devs in other threads but so far not this one.....why???

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was already the idea (iirc from a dev ages ago) to make the houses buyable on an automated auction when it's time comes... So you would have no clue what you will/can win and everyone who comes around has one week time for bidding (the decay time). That would be an easy fix and make almost everyone happy but prevent newbies to get easy gold like many did...
As I have seen This might have worked back in the day ..But now it wouldn't work as you would have all these gold buyers just have a high bidding war since they can throw thousands of dollars in this game!!

See If anyone knows me They know All I do is IDOC. I have Seen these Young scripters take over Trammel so all Trammies are flooding into Felluca Side And right now I do not idoc like I used to. See I'm old school I have build my self up from 7x7 to the castles I now own I have never bought a castle I have lived in. I have bought all the surrounding houses & reploted them into castles. So When I see someone roll in with 20 newbie accounts (I'm talking 30 day old no skill characters) to script place keeps or castles . Yea kind of makes me made as this is a person just *****ing uo to make Real life money. Same goes with the Young loot scripters that hit every shard & bring all that crap to Atlantic. UO is mostly People here for good time & make friends. I even know entire Families that Play this Game.

1) The Idea I heard & liked the best about young scripter is Lock all the young chars in new haven. if they are new they don't need to leave that area as they need to learn the game. If its a old player buying a new account, say to hold another house well he has paid for the account & can remove young player status.

2) I think All IDOC should have a rating system So they Can have spawning monsters like T-map Chests. NO I don't think there should be a Boss that if you kill lets you place as this means only Tamers would be placing. Castles would bring down the Hordes of Dragons, Dark fathers Harbingers , Ancient Dragons .The Stuff of legends as these don't fall often and not just spawn the day of the fall it would be like they are waiting for it to fall to, to get some free loot as well. It be like a week long spawn. So it wouldn't be so boring sitting at these.

3) Houses should go private but only if they have like 80% of storage taken up, as Empty Slabs would be waste of time unless you want to fight spawn or place house

IDOCS should be a fun part of the game not a stressful activity where even a Newbiee 2 month old char might score. Like I did when I was a Newbiee and a 7x7 IDOC was rare here on Atlantic and finding a house was like a Gold Coin in 10 hay stacks.

So Please put some thought into Ideas & just don't run with the easiest & popular fixes

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Round and round we go.
Random timer on idocs is simple, effective and makes total sense as the spot and the items are free for all and can be very valuable.
But a few people that have made it their business to do nothing but camp these spots are upset and weirdly believe that they have some divine right to this loot for no other reason then that they have been doing it forever. It is not a specific skill set or profession in the games design but they don't want to hear that.
The best part though is that the only two excuses they can come up with for changing the system in place now that makes total sense are 'shard history' and scripting lol.
Shard history is the most comical excuse considering the fact that 99% of the people that loot these pieces of supposed 'history' immediately sell them not knowing where they will end up or what will become of their precious 'history'. And it's also funny that 99% of the pro idoccers don't seem to care much about the history of all the slow shards that have houses dropping daily. Guess history isn't a factor when you cant make any gold reselling it lol.
Scripting is a bit more of a valid point but in no way should it be the only factor determining a game mechanic such as this. Every facet of the game unfortunately has a cheat factor. You don't put in things that make no sense at all just because of it.
I find it very funny though that for years before the random change everyone complained that scripters ruled idocs.
According to the masses scripters ruled idocs before the change and now after the change. Whats the difference? A few pros lose some more sleep now while trying to loot houses to sell the gold for cash? Boo hoo.

All that being said I dislike cheating as much as anyone else and do believe that it is kind of crazy that the devs cant figure out a way to keep young characters away from idocs :(

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The reason Idocs Changed was due to the instant placing effect. I myself did this back in the day .House Falls ...Place Same sized house all loot went under Sign Stand on steps Drag loot onto slab & secure. Which for the Player that owned 1 account and a House on it. Yea I can see this way was unfair to the Item Looters. That is why now you have a placing timer so people have a chance to Loot. IDOCs are one of the main things that other Games don't have ..I mean what other game gives you the chance to be only one at an IDOC & get an entire house worth of stuff ...yea some of it I junk .But to a New char all that Free Décor stuff is Pretty Damn Awesome. Most New players unless they have a buddy cant Buy all this Stuff. Just Yesterday I did a Tram 17x18 With a guildy and one other guy In (BOOB) guild And I know we all got some decent Stuff. Yes I sell Most of it, but with new vendor search Helps where Maybe a person that has been looking for that One item to complete their set Wins & buy it at a fair price.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The "No Scripting Rule" very well may be the least enforced "serious violation" in gaming history. To say they can do nothing about it is total junk. Go to any IDOC on Atlantic and you will see the same people open gates and bring forth herds of trial accounts. They are not using trial accounts because they are worried about getting caught. They use them because they do not want to pay for 15 extra accounts when they can do it for free.

It doesn't take a DEV to see what goes on. But they DO NOT CARE, Bottom line. Every single player sees it going on all day long, scripting of runics, AFK camping, speed hacks at Yew gate, mutli accounts at EM events. Its all over the place and nothing is done (unless you dupe a transfer token then they seem to actually care). If there is going to be a rule against Scripting then enforce it or allow the 60% (or less) who do not script in one form or another to be on equal footing with those doing it. We all pay for the same service. And I no longer blame player for doing it as its basically allowed by the DEVS.

Last edited:

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anyone that has done IDOCs long enough knows they are all different. Times have changed a ton of times now. Figure it out and be done with it.
The time of the day they fall have changed a ton yes, the amount of time it takes to decay has been a constant. Thursday night I had a house that wasn't decaying. Today I log in and it was already greatly. That's too damn fast.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not the importance of the items or history per say but that value of these items is the issue when it comes to idocs. There lies the true issue

Far as I am concerned and if I played this game still, my items are mine till upon my death irl. I paid my sub that let me rent those virtual items from EA and I would probably have to make a will to have these items be taken into unused parts of the lands and let them decay by my surviving family members. I could just have them put it all on my chars and let the account die and never be seen again.

Why would I do such a crazy thing you ask?

These items were for my enjoyment and decorations. Maybe I played many hours just to get a special item. Was my time spent to obtain them however I did. Maybe they were just deco to me and not about how much UO wealth they were worth. Far as I see it I should be able to see what is done to them on my untimely demise from this planet. So yes, I would have them destroyed because why would I want others to get my hard earned rented items owned by EA anyway by sitting outside my house to get them.

The game is suppose to be about fun and enjoyment. If items and wealth are the only reason some play that's their kicks but they wouldn't get my stuff. :p

I've always said UO greatest asset is the housing system but it is also its greatest failing.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Its not the importance of the items or history per say but that value of these items is the issue when it comes to idocs. There lies the true issue

Far as I am concerned and if I played this game still, my items are mine till upon my death irl. I paid my sub that let me rent those virtual items from EA and I would probably have to make a will to have these items be taken into unused parts of the lands and let them decay by my surviving family members. I could just have them put it all on my chars and let the account die and never be seen again.

Why would I do such a crazy thing you ask?

These items were for my enjoyment and decorations. Maybe I played many hours just to get a special item. Was my time spent to obtain them however I did. Maybe they were just deco to me and not about how much UO wealth they were worth. Far as I see it I should be able to see what is done to them on my untimely demise from this planet. So yes, I would have them destroyed because why would I want others to get my hard earned rented items owned by EA anyway by sitting outside my house to get them.
Everyone has the option to trash all their belongings before they let the account go inactive. ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think limiting young accounts to new haven would be a good thing. At least on Atl we see a small but noticable amount of youngs here and there. Sometimes you give them a little tour of the shard, take them to your house to get them a suit crafted, etc.

Within a period of say six months we would punish 10s if not 100s of young players (we dont have too much of them anyways)..

.. over half a dozen of scripters BS does not care to police properly.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to see young accounts be re-designed. Watching 15 young accounts pour into an idoc is an obvious abuse/exploit of the system. However, not allowing a potential customer try out your game is just as bad to me. Im not sure of a solution but would love to hear input on it.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and still no comment from any DEV....about one of the hotter topics.....jesus!!!

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No comment needed.
The system was changed and it works as intended.
And the tiny majority of players that make it their business to work idocs so they can sell gold for cash don't like it. The devs knew this would be their reaction when they made the correct changes so why would they need to comment on it?
I guess the devs realize like the rest of us that when the large part of a former players entire UO existence falls onto the ground maybe it shouldn't be on a timer so a few greedy people can set their alarm clocks to scoop it up.
Like in every other aspect of the game, cheating is a separate issue and in this case does not factor in just to conveniently help the pro campers sorry.
The pros still find plenty of nice houses these days and I certainly still see them all advertising their spots so I am not even really sure what the issue is other then greed.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
jesus ..a comment is needed to why the devs are freely allowing afk script placing and looting at Idocs still ....the minority who want to cheat need to be punished...[end]...this game cannot keep tolerating a few players that want to break every rule in the conduct book to gain an advantage over the majoity of normal players...jesus.. there afk anyways,,,there never there... it cant be hard for the devs to weed these weasels out and drop there whole account to the burning ruins thats as been done b4...time to punish the cheats again methinks.. enough is a ****ing nough

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
gonna keep bumping this until a dev can actaully be arsed to reply........this needs attention....[end[

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
jesus ..a comment is needed to why the devs are freely allowing afk script placing and looting at Idocs still ....the minority who want to cheat need to be punished...[end]...this game cannot keep tolerating a few players that want to break every rule in the conduct book to gain an advantage over the majoity of normal players...jesus.. there afk anyways,,,there never there... it cant be hard for the devs to weed these weasels out and drop there whole account to the burning ruins thats as been done b4...time to punish the cheats again methinks.. enough is a ******* nough
I completely agree that there needs to be a much more proactive approach to catching and severely punishing cheaters.
I don't agree though that the way to do it is to put a former players entire UO existence on a scheduled timer for greedy buzzards to pick through. Pretty soon they will want the exact collapse time posted on the house sign lol.
They are two separate issues. Catch cheaters by monitoring situations and taking immediate action. Not by making what is supposed to be a random occurrence not random.
This is nothing but a greed issue.
There were just as many cheaters before the new timer but because the pro idoccers have to work harder to get their free loot now they all of a sudden are the cheat police. Its just plain bs imo

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well for the first time I got to witness first hand the "young" player problem.

2 accounts worth of "young" players obviously multiboxing all under 1 person's direction... all named things like AA, BB, CC, DD and EE. House drops and every chest there vanishes before the stuff hits the ground.

Then you watch as one by one they come out of hiding and hand off the items to the "main" person. So not only is Multiboxing taking over EM events but they are taking over IDOC's too and in my opinion exploiting the "young player status" so that they can do IDOC's in complete safety.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well for the first time I got to witness first hand the "young" player problem.

2 accounts worth of "young" players obviously multiboxing all under 1 person's direction... all named things like AA, BB, CC, DD and EE. House drops and every chest there vanishes before the stuff hits the ground.

Then you watch as one by one they come out of hiding and hand off the items to the "main" person. So not only is Multiboxing taking over EM events but they are taking over IDOC's too and in my opinion exploiting the "young player status" so that they can do IDOC's in complete safety.
Ridiculous isn't it?. Yet despite the obvious interest and concern of the player base in this thread with near 2700 views, not a peep from above. Yes fellow mushrooms we shall be kept eternally in the dark I fear.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ridiculous isn't it?. Yet despite the obvious interest and concern of the player base in this thread with near 2700 views, not a peep from above. Yes fellow mushrooms we shall be kept eternally in the dark I fear.
I don't expect them to comment on this. I expect them to take some sort of action to stop this obvious exploit. That's what I expect.

Meadhbh

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new system for IDOCS is just perfect, stops people from recalling in a few minutes before it dropped, looting and recalling to another, now you actually have to do some work like sit at it like the rest of us, the way this random drop time works now is marvelous, sure are a lot less people here now, guess nobody actually wanted to put in some work but just wanted to collect on the drops, I say keep the system the way it is, if you all that keep crying about it want some loot, put in the time or not, your call!!!

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Delete all the stuff when the house drops=end of this whole crying match. Really it's only a very small group of people who keep posting here complaining, make bots and deal with it cause the team isn't gonna do nuthin.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new system for IDOCS is just perfect, stops people from recalling in a few minutes before it dropped, looting and recalling to another, now you actually have to do some work like sit at it like the rest of us, the way this random drop time works now is marvelous, sure are a lot less people here now, guess nobody actually wanted to put in some work but just wanted to collect on the drops, I say keep the system the way it is, if you all that keep crying about it want some loot, put in the time or not, your call!!!
Your knowledge of what was involved in doing idocs is obviously very limited. These people who recalled in a few minutes before a fall, did they have a crystal ball telling them the time it would drop?. Were they clairvoyant?. No, well I wonder how they knew?. Perhaps they had done idocs before and decided that there must be a better way than just waiting till it was idoc and then just standing there bored, ooops sorry, working, till it fell. If so, they had indeed put in some work as you so quaintly put it. Working out the length of each stage so it could be followed through takes a lot of work, indeed a lot more than sitting (working) waiting for the fall. The Devs in their wisdom? changed it to what we have now, this does indeed require you to sit their (working) till it falls.

The difference now is that once, the legal player could be sure to be there at the same time as the scripter, now he has to sit there (working) to ensure that, but the scripter does NOT.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Randomization virtually always favors the scripters. It is almost embarrassing that our Dev team does not understand this basic idea... Strike the almost.

Meadhbh

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The old system had a set time of when houses were falling, always the same X amount of hours, so basically all you had to do is see when the house turned from Greatly to idoc and you were set, so yeah, dont worry, I did my homework on how the old system worked, and I was there also on some of them!

and you trying to tell me, that before the change scripters were NEVER at idocs? comon be realistic here, us legal players will always prevail on the scripters, just come and have fun, not hard thing to do!

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What are you expecting? They are NOT going to suddenly catch and stop all scripters.

So your choices are....

1) Delete it all

2) The items stay with account owner in storage system similar to shard x-fers

3) Auction system (buy the house and everything inside)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or make it as it was...a system that worked fine as it was...It didnt need changing....The devs have played into the scripters hands [again] Own Goal

At least with the old way the old school idocers would be there at the fall....[easily timed by anyone/everyone who wanted too] ....thus sharing the AFK scripters booty....now the AFK scripters get it all.....becuase the old school simply wont sit there random 5 hours

Last edited:

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even before, IDOCs were hardly worth while with a job and decent sleep schedule. So professional IDOCers and scripters still have the advantage... Yes maybe a person could catch a few IDOCs even with a normal job, but the majority are going to be the aforementioned.

People are in here talking about greed, I refer back to my 3 options listed above.