• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Make IDOCs like they used to be

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There.....fixed it for ya.

My issue with all these cockamamee ideas is the possible loss of a valued game item(s) or rares that will never have a chance to be seen again. The ONE and ONLY issue with IDOCS, since UO began at the end of the dinosaur era( sorry, tad bit of humor I hope) has been, and still is......SCRIPTERS. Sadly, the team never has seemed to have the ability, desire, cash, or whatever to acquire a team member with the know-how to FIX it. So, we keep on dealing with bandaids that fall off after getting wet. Is what it is now, I suppose. I was an avid IDOC'r, never ever scripted, but dealt with em for years. Chalked up any that "got away" to scripters and moved on. Now.....havent tried even looking since this ignoramus change, wont either. No loss to B-sword, I still pay my accounts monthly, but it was and is a real "bummer" to one of the enjoyable reasons to play. Aint many left.
No, you didn't fix it. My statement stands as it is. And if you haven't even tried to do any IDOCs since the change I don't see how you can even be so sure that it was a bad change. Reading lines of text in a publish and feedback from players doesn't amount to first hand experience.

Last edited:

Fingers

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I did fix it, to MY liking ! And I dont need first hand experience to see this lame excuse for a scripter fix ruined IDOC's. Variable times, variable conditions, pffttt. Your happy, good for you, Im not, sad for me. So goes UO.

Dixie of Chesapeake

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
i done a castle today, there was an ARMY of young chars there......i still got some nice things......but the only improvement on that situation i could see would be to restrict trial accounts to new haven. i mean if people wanna pay for an acct just to plot on or what ever then atleast they are funding the game......but i do like the new idoc times. was only a 4 hour wait.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, its 4am and I haven't had any sleep yet. So I shall save you all from a long winded response LOL.
Short Version?

The changes are fine.. the army of trial accounts issue was present and active before the changes even happened. Surprisingly.. I see them A LOT less now.

The mellow dramatic reasons being thrown around for it to go back to how it was.... is just that, mellow drama. The truth is people who have made it their profession to make billions off of idocs are now finding it more difficult to do so... as it should be. (this is coming from someone who has idoced for the past 8 years on and off mind you!)

History lost.. well, lets pretend that if a house falls you can't loot or keep anything, however you have a 4 hour window to double click items to be preserved in a EM style museum. If you don't do so in 4 hours, the items poof. Can anyone honestly say there would be people devoting hours upon hours a week saving "history"? No. The truth is the personal profit... that is now becoming harder to get.. as it should be.

What I agree with? the decay timer should be increased. everything decaying in a hour puts more time constraints on manually checking houses, since sitting there is pretty unreasonable.. at least it is for me.

Since the changes I have missed hundreds of houses that I have found decaying. My personal pocket is feeling empty, and thats about it. But honestly, I always felt idocs were too easy, and it was ridiculous to become so wealthy devoting 10-15 hours a week with just one hobby in the game.

Well now that I have ruffled a few feathers, I am off to bed! =)

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah crap one more thing..

Claudia had made this comment... "This isn't leveling the playing field, it's wiping the board, houses are falling with no one there. Stuff is decaying. If veteran IDOCers can't keep up then a casual 'regular' player has no chance."

This comment is correct, but not in that context. A veteran IDOCer can no longer keep up with all the houses falling on 2, 3.... hell sometimes 4 servers anymore. The casual idocers can still very much keep up. They find a couple houses and stalk and treasure them. As I said above.. The changes favor the idea of working really hard if you want to make 2 billion gold this week. Before it was ridiculously easy.

If we want to use scripters as the reason? Then make houses disappear with no loot available to anyone, because no matter what changes you make or don't make, scripters will always be there, having the advantage.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The idocs have returned to a "schedule" the chaos ensued when they made the change as it effected certain houses differently at different times. From what ive seen most of the "pro" idocers are having no trouble keeping up with multiple servers. If you have partners that divide up the search load you could easily cover all shards and not miss much. Organization is key to success of a good idocer.

I still believe its possible to eliminate all the advantages a "scripter" has over the normal/average players. However, I dont see the game making those changes or even being able to do so with out causing 50 problems elsewhere.

I can only recommend that you play how you like to play, enjoy what you do in the game or move on. If something that you enjoy changes either learn to adapt or move on. None of us ever agree on anything completely so how can we expect the game to make the "perfect" system that all of us are happy with.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I liked Lady Storm's idea as well.
Let the decay status on the house sign be visible to only friend access and up. Shouldn´t be hard to code and the cheaters would get the short stick.

Players/IDOCers can still run around and hope to see a pile of items on the ground and get lucky that way. Not much different than running around and checking house signs anyways.
Would also be some potential nice surprises for the casual explorers of these lands.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah crap one more thing..

Claudia had made this comment... "This isn't leveling the playing field, it's wiping the board, houses are falling with no one there. Stuff is decaying. If veteran IDOCers can't keep up then a casual 'regular' player has no chance."

This comment is correct, but not in that context. A veteran IDOCer can no longer keep up with all the houses falling on 2, 3.... hell sometimes 4 servers anymore. The casual idocers can still very much keep up. They find a couple houses and stalk and treasure them. As I said above.. The changes favor the idea of working really hard if you want to make 2 billion gold this week. Before it was ridiculously easy.
Being casual and watching a house around the clock are mutually exclusive things. "Casual" players don't stay up until 3am camping a house when they have to get up for work at 6, or watch a house for 11 hour stretches because it can fall at any point. That's not fun in anyone's book.

As for the making gold part I don't think that line of thinking holds any weight when they clearly have no problem flooding the game with EM Event items that sell for billions every week. It takes way more time and effort to hunt IDOCs that do EM events.

In the end it's a game, it's supposed to be fun. If you take away someone's fun they aren't going to play anymore...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just my two cents on the issue... First I believe that randomized house fall times is a poor method to combat scripters, much in the same way randomized ore was. IMO predictability breeds more fun for the casual player.

Personally I would put the IDOC timers back like they were and make houses semi-private as soon as they start decay. Friends and co-owners would still be allowed access, but all of those young players and pretty well everyone else who didn't know the house owner are stuck outside without the ability to survey the contents. Vendors would remain on the house as they currently do, but would lose the ability to sell to the public and would only be accessible to the owner to reclaim merchandise and gold. This change would make the fall time predictable again allowing people who look for houses and want to participate a measure of planning. It also allows friends and co-owners to get first crack at items they may wish to save for a friend incase they return. It further limits the ability for scripters to identify particular items and thier location for the scripts to loot from.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have all the left over stuff go into a holding area where players can bid on the items for a week. Any idea other than letting people who run a bot, don't work or play off hours have such a cash gold mine is absurd. Don't let the thought slip by that those who run a bot are smart enough to run a rail to check these houses on more than one shard, it isn't hard to do and only has to be written once....House goes poof so should the items inside.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Far out in left field probably... but I like the idea that everything from an IDOC goes into a pawn shop with a AH system with a 48 hour window. Everyone can bid/search on the contents. Everything has a starting bid of whatever the highest amount it costs to sell to an NPC so they'll be no gold making from obscure undesirable items. When the house drops, random items from a large database of graphics (so it is more difficult to script) appear on the ground, with random values that also correspond to their weights. These items can be turned in for credit at the pawn shop. The higher the value, the heavier it is. The items can not be picked up by young or RTB accounts. Points can not be turned into gold. Any loose gold or checks (not the rare white ones) in the house are turned into bonus point items that drop.

IDOCers still can get a bonus for doing the IDOCs with no additional gold created.. No young accounts to deal with and items have a chance to be retrieved/bought. It would act as a gold sink as well.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now Picus you might be on to something....
When a house falls, the moving crate would fill with the contents of that house. This crate will move to the nearest bank and be displayed with a bidding stone. No content will be visable.
7 day bidding with a in game notice to the winner at log in.
Winner will be given 24 hours to empty the crate which will disapear as the last item is removed.
Gold removed from bank balance at every bid.. nice gold sink and will kill off the scripters at least for looting....

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to stay out of this, but I do not understand why so many people are willing to destroy a part of the game that other people enjoy. Every year I see the population get smaller and smaller, and all this does is alienate yet another group of players.

All these ideas of bidding on houses and items in crates will only make those that have...have a whole lot more. If you are interested in getting a piece of idoc loot...go get some. The new times and randomization make it so that houses are falling at every time of the day.

Now if you play on my shard, the thing that will discourage you is the 20 or more young and noob characters, with empty plots surrounding every house. See the people who exploit or take advantage of the flaws in our game will just keep doing that. If the solution is to change the way idocs work, they will adapt, but we will lose more honest players that enjoyed this part of the game.

Everyone that I know that did idocs, the people who are part of the community, have quit doing them. Those players returned the items back into the community at a good price. Now we have no vendors to speak of because this new army is only interested in shipping the "good" stuff to another shard.

The problem isn't idocs...it's the same group of people who exploit every aspect of the game that they can.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i don't think making idocs basically like bidding on a storage locker in real life makes it fun for anyone.

they are fine how they are

yuuuuuuuuuup

Waxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
...... If you are interested in getting a piece of IDOC loot...go get some. The new times and randomization make it so that houses are falling at every time of the day.
and in my opinion this is the problem... they fall at every time of the day...

for me (ok i am an IDOC noob) the old system was plan-able with my life, my friends/family and my job. i knew that house X is falling a 6:30pm +- a few minutes (or middle of the night when the house looks promising). now i would have to stand there for hours and hope that i react in a second after maybe 5 hours waiting that i get something at all against the script-er...

the only benefit this new times and the random long phases have is that the script-er have less company and this company is maybe distracted after hours while the script-er don't need to be at their desk at all... where all others standing there for hours and cannot grab fast enough when a script-er is involved... great change...

for me IDOC is done as i have a daily job i cannot and will not stand for hours at a spot and wait that a house drop.

well done devs... instead of making it harder for scripte-rs they made it easier for them and crappy for all others.

Last edited:

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As it goes with the times now, a house can go to IDOC stage at 8 PM local time and can go down somewhen between 10 PM and 9 AM next morning.
Since I have to leave for work 6 AM, this can easily mean, camping half or even full night for nothing - and increasing the risk of an accident due to being too tired.

In the former predictable situation you knew, that you have to get a wakeup call short before 3 AM, or if the house fell in a time you are commuting or are at work, you get to ignore it.

I do however agree, that the abuse of unpaid accounts on IDOCs must stop.

*Salute*
Olahorand

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem isn't idocs...it's the same group of people who exploit every aspect of the game that they can.
Which will never stop. Every game has these people, and games try (successfully or not) to limit their impact.

The IDOC system is really a ridiculous system that everyone has gotten used to.

Xelious Norwood

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just scripters in general are a win every time. It doesn't matter if its sitting at an IDOC or doing PvP, the Dev team doesn't give a crap, and if you haven't figured that out by now then your as blind as a bat. You also have to look at the BIG picture as well, if they did away with the use of scripts I bet alot of people would end up quitting thus making UO a thing of the past. Its not right but its something you have to deal with because it will never get taken care of.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WRONG...
The problem is not the Dev wont do a thing about them.. its more like catching them red handed... I dont know what you do for a living but working on UO is not a joy ride..The Dev do wish to stop the scripting that is done illegally. Key word is: Illegally
We have how many shards?
And how many IDOC's?
They work long hours with 1/2 if not 1/3d the people they should to produce this game in all its glory.
Granted they try to have fun doing it, but this game gets a good deal of their waking time...
Last time one of your wives or hubbys complained you spent WAY too much time playing UO... how long were you on?
The IDOC problem is that game still makes real life cash for some people and its a job to them to get the most out of what they do...
I do agree they are sucking the life out of the game. One dollar at a time from players willing to buy the stuff in the first place.
Scripting is the theft of all items in an IDOC is low down snake in the grass thing to do.
Its not like every item had a rap sheet atached as to who's hands its has passed through.
But to ask the dev to go after these scalpers of the games/players rl cash is alot to ask and want new content and bugs fixed too is totaly unfair and not the right answer to the problem.
My suguestion still stands..... only the home owner, their co's and friends list can tell if the house is in failure mode.. else it just goes through the 5 -7 day system and falls. (Now you have to understand there too a co owner can strip a house of all contents but for the lock downs in the first place)
This would be the best way to stop the rampant yelling about the scripting.
If your not there for it or looking around in game as you play thats your biz.
OH and as for the lot of you who sit there pancakes about the idoc'r whos loosing out... get real.
That was some other persons posessions in the first place, and just because in the past you got in on the trash left when the house poofed does not give you rights now to say anythng about changes to how all house's fall.

I have walked up on many a house fall in the past that no one was at.. it does happen.
So its not far fetched that it would be a good thing to have done.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to stay out of this, but I do not understand why so many people are willing to destroy a part of the game that other people enjoy. Every year I see the population get smaller and smaller, and all this does is alienate yet another group of players.

All these ideas of bidding on houses and items in crates will only make those that have...have a whole lot more. If you are interested in getting a piece of idoc loot...go get some. The new times and randomization make it so that houses are falling at every time of the day.

Now if you play on my shard, the thing that will discourage you is the 20 or more young and noob characters, with empty plots surrounding every house. See the people who exploit or take advantage of the flaws in our game will just keep doing that. If the solution is to change the way idocs work, they will adapt, but we will lose more honest players that enjoyed this part of the game.

Everyone that I know that did idocs, the people who are part of the community, have quit doing them. Those players returned the items back into the community at a good price. Now we have no vendors to speak of because this new army is only interested in shipping the "good" stuff to another shard.

My sentiments exactly. After I sell off what I have on hand then my lower population server will lose one of it's better stocked few vendor houses. I always gave my shardmates first shot at stuff, and if something didn't sell then I took it to Atlantic.

As for the scripting at least before the change I could show up and get loot, cutting into the scripter's profits. Now they just get it all because I can't run every 3 days and I can't be there 24/7 like they easily can.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously?
They do it 24/7 and they are very organized.
Their only purpose in playing UO is idocs and selling gold for cash.
My bad lol. I don't value organization and dedication to one thing in a MMORPG as a skill that is hard to pick up.
*shakes head*
So don't Get on ppl for doing what they want and getting the benefit from it. Perhaps they make money off a game .... perhaps you don't but you have more fun doing many diff things.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WRONG...
They work long hours with 1/2 if not 1/3d the people they should to produce this game in all its glory.
Granted they try to have fun doing it, but this game gets a good deal of their waking time...
Last time one of your wives or hubbys complained you spent WAY too much time playing UO... how long were you on?
Its not exactly our fault that they have 1/3 of the staff though. Its called EA hedging their bets. If UO can still make money with a skeleton crew then let it ride. Why invest more if your earnings will not exponentially increase. Its just math. Now Broadsword is a diff thing, ofc. But the majority of the time its been EAs horse. Yes the crew does as good they can and I realize that. But I mean, thats like going to mcdonalds and not getting upset because they couldnt afford to pay someone to bring up the Ketchup packets from the basement, so if you want ketchup with your burger or fries, you're SOL. (OBV a dramatization)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why make it like it used to be???..

The afk scripter placers/looters are loving the new changes...jesus dont spoil there afk fun....that would be wrong...they simply come home sit down and see what loot they have got while they have been at work and wether they beat the other 6 afk placers on getting the castle/luna spot....jesus!!

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would revise the system for young/trial accounts. They can't leave haven, but can travel to the other trammel cities via a young gate but must stay in town. If they wish to do more, then they have to pay. You can't really do away with idocs, so many people enjoy them. But make it so every charater that is at them, is on a paying account, which will benefit everyone.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why make it like it used to be???..

The afk scripter placers/looters are loving the new changes...jesus dont spoil there afk fun....that would be wrong...they simply come home sit down and see what loot they have got while they have been at work and wether they beat the other 6 afk placers on getting the castle/luna spot....jesus!!
this... again... this... [whatever]

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So don't Get on ppl for doing what they want and getting the benefit from it. Perhaps they make money off a game .... perhaps you don't but you have more fun doing many diff things.
Whatever :)
I can get on whoever I want if I choose to darling. Its a public forum or did you miss that?
My point was that it does not take a lot of skill to idoc. So what?
Either way you slice it, idoccers are far and away the majority of gold sellers. They contribute nothing to the community or game.
Germs playing the game for no other reason then to milk rl cash. It's not healthy for the game and if you need that explained to you its pretty sad.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is indeed a public forum and it follows from that that there are certain people who do not want idocs to revert to the old times. It is also certain therefore that some of the apologists and nay-sayers arguing for a retention of the new times follow a certain path ingame. The case for a change is irrefutable, the new timing only benefits the scripter as opposed to the player who adheres to the TOS. There are some excellent ideas posted in this forum which would definitely affect the scripters operations but I suspect that as ever a change will not happen, it never has in the past because an argument is valid.

Last edited:
Reactions: THP

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
like he said ....its a own goal by the devs.... kinda given the atk scripiters a early xmas present they just dont wanna give back...
This is indeed a public forum and it follows from that that there are certain people who do not want idocs to revert to the old times. It is also certain therefore that some of the apologists and nay-sayers arguing for a retention of the new times follow a certain path ingame. The case for a change is irrefutable, the new timing only benefits the scripter as opposed to the player who adheres to the TOS. There are some excellent ideas posted in this forum which would definitely affect the scripters operations but I suspect that as ever a change will not happen, it never has in the past because an argument is valid.
like he said ....its a own goal by the devs.... kinda given the afk scripiters/cheaters a early xmas present they just dont wanna give back...

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) You cannot possibly know that it only benefits the scripter. It must be nice to be so all knowing that you can say with certainty that anyone for the new rules is a cheater. Obsess much? Before this change casual idoccers had no chance at anything. This new system gives them more of a random chance at grabbing some loot as less people will be camping each spot.

2) I will stick with the devs on this one who saw fit to make the change in an attempt to balance things out.

3) I realize there are scripters and cheaters in all aspects of the game but if you choose to obsess over them then you will never be satisfied with anything and say no to anything the devs implement.

4) What a few people in this thread seem to have forgotten is that there are other players besides professional idoccers and scripters.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't own idocs and other players should have a chance at grabbing some random loot.
Putting another players lost items on a schedule is a ridiculous notion and it went on for far too long.
My favorite lame excuse though is that the items are part of a shards history lol. Most ridiculous argument ever. pro idoccers should be able to work on a scheduled timer to be able to pluck these pieces of history off the ground so that they can sell them ingame for rl cash?
*shakes head*

Last edited:

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) You cannot possibly know that it only benefits the scripter. It must be nice to be so all knowing that you can say with certainty that anyone for the new rules is a cheater. Obsess much? Before this change casual idoccers had no chance at anything. This new system gives them more of a random chance at grabbing some loot as less people will be camping each spot.

2) I will stick with the devs on this one who saw fit to make the change in an attempt to balance things out.

3) I realize there are scripters and cheaters in all aspects of the game but if you choose to obsess over them then you will never be satisfied with anything and say no to anything the devs implement.

4) What a few people in this thread seem to have forgotten is that there are other players besides professional idoccers and scripters.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't own idocs and other players should have a chance at grabbing some random loot.
Putting another players lost items on a schedule is a ridiculous notion and it went on for far too long.
My favorite lame excuse though is that the items are part of a shards history lol. Most ridiculous argument ever. pro idoccers should be able to work on a scheduled timer to be able to pluck these pieces of history off the ground so that they can sell them ingame for rl cash?
*shakes head*
I do wish that people would read what I have actually said and not attribute things to me that I have NOT said.

For a start. Where have I said that with certainty that anyone for the new rules is a cheater?

I have NOT said that ANYONE who is for the new rules (by which I assume you mean timings) is a cheater, I said that SOME who follow a certain path ingame. The interpretation is yours, of course if the cap fits wear it by all means as it may well be true, but I couldn't possibly comment.

True I have said that the time changes only benefit the scripter and that is because if it looks like a duck.......

I was recently at a castle idoc on Europa which was surrounded by plots with the usual packs lined up along the steps. The number of wildlife had to be seen to be believed innumerable 'young' rabbits and 'young' rats together with the odd llama. At fall stuff disappeared at an incredible rate. Still this was the case before the change the scripters are many. In your reply there is one sentence which has validity 'less people will be camping each spot' and the reason for that is exactly the reason this post was made, the casual idocer does NOT have a better random chance of getting some loot because the casual idocer is NOT there. Who is there, is the scripter bots, happily doing their allotted role 24/7 and script looting at fall. Not benefiting the scripter! Your having a laugh.

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do wish that people would read what I have actually said and not attribute things to me that I have NOT said.

For a start. Where have I said that with certainty that that anyone for the new rules is a cheater?

I have NOT said that ANYONE who is for the new rules (by which I assume you mean timings) is a cheater, I said that SOME who follow a certain path ingame. The interpretation is yours, of course if the cap fits wear it by all means as it may well be true, but I couldn't possibly comment.

True I have said that the time changes only benefit the scripter and that is because if it looks like a duck.......

I was recently at a castle idoc on Europa which was surrounded by plots with the usual packs lined up along the steps. The number of wildlife had to be seen to be believed innumerable 'young' rabbits and 'young' rats together with the odd llama. At fall stuff disappeared at an incredible rate. Still this was the case before the change the scripters are many. In your reply there is one sentence which has validity 'less people will be camping each spot' and the reason for that is exactly the reason this post was made, the casual idocer does NOT have a better random chance of getting some loot because the casual idocer is NOT there. Who is there, is the scripter bots, happily doing their allotted role 24/7 and script looting at fall. Not benefiting the scripter! Your having a laugh.
Whatever bud :)
I guess a casual idoccer can never get some loot when a house falls at a random time because a professional idoccer had to go to bed or work not knowing when it will fall. As opposed to being on a timed schedule.
Why would you use a castle as an example though lol? Those always attract all the trash. You really seem to obsess over cheating :(
Its a game

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever :)
I can get on whoever I want if I choose to darling. Its a public forum or did you miss that?
My point was that it does not take a lot of skill to idoc. So what?
Either way you slice it, idoccers are far and away the majority of gold sellers. They contribute nothing to the community or game.
Germs playing the game for no other reason then to milk rl cash. It's not healthy for the game and if you need that explained to you its pretty sad.
Yeah you can indeed get on whoever you want, public forum. Even when the sense it makes is prob limited. They aren't getting in your crap for enjoying the game the way you want.

Not sure how you think they contribute nothing to the game..... if they continue to sell gold, then it would seem like logic dictates SOMEONE is BUYING it. So its helping those ppl. So I guess its pretty sad that I need that explained to me, huh? Not to mention when they find something rare... sure they potentially make a profit from it, but whoever wants the item gets it instead of it being gone forever. They create an additional commerce, are a part of the community, etc. Playing a game is for a persons own goals, whether that be for fun, profit... whatever. They're paying for the accounts, same as you. What do you contribute to the game or the community?

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah you can indeed get on whoever you want, public forum. Even when the sense it makes is prob limited. They aren't getting in your crap for enjoying the game the way you want.

Not sure how you think they contribute nothing to the game..... if they continue to sell gold, then it would seem like logic dictates SOMEONE is BUYING it. So its helping those ppl. So I guess its pretty sad that I need that explained to me, huh? Not to mention when they find something rare... sure they potentially make a profit from it, but whoever wants the item gets it instead of it being gone forever. They create an additional commerce, are a part of the community, etc. Playing a game is for a persons own goals, whether that be for fun, profit... whatever. They're paying for the accounts, same as you. What do you contribute to the game or the community?
1) My point was that pro idoccers just about exclusively do nothing but loot houses to sell gold. There are plenty of other legit brokers that are playing the game and pvping and farming and buying and selling and crafting to make gold if someone wants to buy it. Idoccers are bottom feeders making profits off of other peoples lost items.
And if you are naïve enough not to understand that just check out what idoccers say when it is suggested that all items from fallen houses go into some sort of pool or lottery or auction. They all say hell no and that proves they don't give a crap about the history of the item or the shard. They simply want the items all to themselves.

2) What do I contribute? I play all aspects of the game without whining and begging the devs to change things for me specifically so I can make some more gold to sell for cash.

Everybody is free to play the game how they want. Most play honorably and for fun as it is a game and meant to be played as a game. You obviously cannot comprehend that but that's ok :)
Maybe someday you will get it.

Bottom line is that it is a complete joke that pro idoccers only defense of their greedy actions is that if they don't get it cheaters will. I like knowing that I can stumble across some decent loot if for no other reason then someone else couldn't set an alarm or stay up all night. There's a great system for making wealth. Do nothing but set an alarm lol.
Every mechanic in the game can involve cheating. Only a self serving fool would base his only arguments on potential cheating. People are paid to police cheating. If you don't like how they are doing it maybe you should just quit the game instead of trying to act as a hall monitor to line your pockets.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its very common sense that the ......afk script placer/looter folks dont want this changing back to how it was

quite simply it doesnt really effect them if its the new system or the old system ...because in reality they just set the script up running in rat or cat form [whatever] and go work etc etc and see what theve got when they get back home ....and see if they beat the other script placers to the castle or luna house

this makes no differnce to them ....

what does make a difference is old school idocers that put effort in to time the falls so hence eliminating wasting huge amounts of time later at the actual fall.... are no longer there!!! hence more loot for mr and mrs afk scripter.....they like that change...less competition= more loot etc etc

RaistlinMajere

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I agree with Goldberg. Why does everyone think they have to be at every single idoc anyway? Its ok to miss a few, so the more random a timer, the better. I dont think its random enough. Don't like it, don't do it....but to many greedy people to pass up free items.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) My point was that pro idoccers just about exclusively do nothing but loot houses to sell gold. There are plenty of other legit brokers that are playing the game and pvping and farming and buying and selling and crafting to make gold if someone wants to buy it. Idoccers are bottom feeders making profits off of other peoples lost items.
And if you are naïve enough not to understand that just check out what idoccers say when it is suggested that all items from fallen houses go into some sort of pool or lottery or auction. They all say hell no and that proves they don't give a crap about the history of the item or the shard. They simply want the items all to themselves.
LOL @ bottom feeders. TBH I could say that about all the wannabe 'pvp godz'. Hell, I even pvp as well as pvm.... etc. Someone could say that about EM Event goers.... the list goes on. Its something to do in a game and it benefits everyone by way of subscriptions. And why wouldnt people who spend the time on something to get the rewards of it. Thats ridiculous to chastise them for that.

Everybody is free to play the game how they want. Most play honorably and for fun as it is a game and meant to be played as a game. You obviously cannot comprehend that but that's ok :)
Maybe someday you will get it.
Had this ready for your predictable self since this morning: Intercourse was designed as a means to procreate. But yet you see it being used as such 0.0000001% of the time. I guess thats wrong too. Maybe someday you will get it. :/
Ill hedge my bets tho.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL @ bottom feeders. TBH I could say that about all the wannabe 'pvp godz'. Hell, I even pvp as well as pvm.... etc. Someone could say that about EM Event goers.... the list goes on. Its something to do in a game and it benefits everyone by way of subscriptions. And why wouldnt people who spend the time on something to get the rewards of it. Thats ridiculous to chastise them for that.

Had this ready for your predictable self since this morning: Intercourse was designed as a means to procreate. But yet you see it being used as such 0.0000001% of the time. I guess thats wrong too. Maybe someday you will get it. :/
Ill hedge my bets tho.
You have the original designs for intercourse somewhere bud? I would like to get a peek at those. Maybe you can post them for us all to see?
Interesting comparison though. Creepy on a couple of different levels but I guess that will happen when you keep something bottled up all day :)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have the devs actually stated why they made this change anyways...when it was never broken or a problem...hey a rarely idoc anymore...im just in the old school camp....it WAS a profession in itself....i just cant understand why they actually wasted time and effort changing a system then as worked for donkeys years....and lets be honest it wasnt hard to time a fall...u only needed to see or get a 30 minute count on any change...was a pretty simply system that saved a huge amount of wasted time sitting around....hel back in the good olde days i would even tell campers to log out and come back in 3 hours 10 minutes...alas they never did...and were always pissed off when i relogged exactly 3 hours laters...why they not listen??

[whatever] dont really care anymore ive got new UO projects.... i just dont like the blatant ''in ya face'' afk script looting and placing that goes on day in day out unpunished...

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Can anyone else confirm but the decaying homes that I found have really slowed down their decay rate. Where they were falling in about three days all the ones I found two days ago seem to be back to the old timer ( I do not yet have an IDOC to see if its back to the 6 hours 18 mins instead of the 3-4 hours of late).

Blood

Faenwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well….

First…. I am not a professional Idocer!

Now, why is someone doing an idoc?

Some do Idocs because they just want to sell the stuff they get to make gold (whatever they do with their gold sell it for RL money or buy rares or keep it forever until they die), some to use it themselves, some store it to give it to returning or new players whatever, some just because of all the excitement around Idocs… however no idea why you call it greedy. Do you know how many times Idocers warn folks they know that their houses are on the way to fall?

I love and hate Idocs at the same time! Why?

- I hate them because another player gone, it makes me real sad especially when I know the one! When a real nice designed house falls it makes me sad because of all the love the one who was building it was putting into it and now it just puffs and most likely the one who replaces it just puts walls on 4 sides without any decoration or something just for storage.

- I love them because of all the fun around it. Yes fun… well the search part and so on is no fun *grins* but the idoc itself, you have to check out who else is there, than you are excited… what will be in there? Just materials for crafting? Deco? Rare things? Arties? Old stuff? Player written books or something like a sash given out at an event organized by players? Or nothing at all? Will I be able to grab something? Will I die? It’s so much fun to stealth around between the legs of a PK and grab something even when it’s just plain wood, the competition of payers without scripting!

No matter what you say, doing Idocs is a lot of time consuming work when you do it old style and without scripts.

- Old system you had to run once a week to searching the whole shard, then check when it changes from greatly to idoc, even when you just look all half hours you knew pretty well when it would fall, so you can go and do something else in between you could plan (make a champ, mine, play RL with your kids do housework or go to bed until its idoc time).

- New System, searching the shard all 4 days watching when it changes its status, then watching when it goes idoc and then camping between 1 hour and 13 hours until it falls …. WHEN you have the time, and when you actually want to get something you aren’t able to do anything else except for watching!

The old system: every single player had the chance to do an idoc when he wanted and was able to put the effort and time into all the searching and watching and whoever did Idocs knew…. Run around to search and when you find one check it from time to time to find out when it goes idoc and then you have the time when it falls. Time consuming but one could manage and plan and have RL. In a group it’s always easier! Well scripter don’t have the time consuming part, they have their nice script for searching, watching when it changes to idoc and when they don’t have time to be around at the idoc time the loot script and to be real safe they use trial account young player chars!

The new system: still every single player has the cahnce to do an idoc, now one needs way more time to do Idocs, less time to do other stuff in UO, no matter if you are a professional Idocer or a normal player. Don’t tell me a normal player has now more chance of getting something at an idoc! No normal player would be able to keep up with the new system! Even old-style Idocer aren’t able too! What changed for the scripter…. *ponders* well… tell me because I have no idea. All the young status rats will be there no matter if it’s the new or old system… well on trammel!

That’s why I love Siege, even when there are scripters, the other player are able to do something against them, they just kill them and they are able to do it because no trammel and no young rats!

How to end scripting at Idocs or at all? No idea! The new system won’t help!

Maybe as soon as a house is idoc the area around the house has Fel rules?
When Trial account Young player chars try to run into the idoc area they run against an invisible wall and hear a real scary mean deep voice saying “You are not allowed to enter that area as young player (or as scripter)! When you enter you will die!”? And when they try again they land in jail or they are killed the same way as you get killed at the harrower they explode and their body parts lay on the ground! *smirks*

Well ..... just my 2cents.

Last edited:

drewster513

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP IDOCS AS THEY ARE I LIKE THE RANDOM DROP ADDS TO THE EXCITEMENT DO NOT CHANGE THEM BACKTO THE OLD WAYS WHERE SCRIPTERS KNOW EXACTLY WHEN IT WILL FALL AND AUTO LOOT ITEMS LEAVE IT ALONE STOP CHANGING THINGS THIS WAY WORKS JUST FINE

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well….

First…. I am not a professional Idocer!

Now, why is someone doing an idoc?

Some do Idocs because they just want to sell the stuff they get to make gold (whatever they do with their gold sell it for RL money or buy rares or keep it forever until they die), some to use it themselves, some store it to give it to returning or new players whatever, some just because of all the excitement around Idocs… however no idea why you call it greedy. Do you know how many times Idocers warn folks they know that their houses are on the way to fall?

I love and hate Idocs at the same time! Why?

- I hate them because another player gone, it makes me real sad especially when I know the one! When a real nice designed house falls it makes me sad because of all the love the one who was building it was putting into it and now it just puffs and most likely the one who replaces it just puts walls on 4 sides without any decoration or something just for storage.

- I love them because of all the fun around it. Yes fun… well the search part and so on is no fun *grins* but the idoc itself, you have to check out who else is there, than you are excited… what will be in there? Just materials for crafting? Deco? Rare things? Arties? Old stuff? Player written books or something like a sash given out at an event organized by players? Or nothing at all? Will I be able to grab something? Will I die? It’s so much fun to stealth around between the legs of a PK and grab something even when it’s just plain wood, the competition of payers without scripting!

No matter what you say, doing Idocs is a lot of time consuming work when you do it old style and without scripts.

- Old system you had to run once a week to searching the whole shard, then check when it changes from greatly to idoc, even when you just look all half hours you knew pretty well when it would fall, so you can go and do something else in between you could plan (make a champ, mine, play RL with your kids do housework or go to bed until its idoc time).

- New System, searching the shard all 4 days watching when it changes its status, then watching when it goes idoc and then camping between 1 hour and 13 hours until it falls …. WHEN you have the time, and when you actually want to get something you aren’t able to do anything else except for watching!

The old system: every single player had the chance to do an idoc when he wanted and was able to put the effort and time into all the searching and watching and whoever did Idocs knew…. Run around to search and when you find one check it from time to time to find out when it goes idoc and then you have the time when it falls. Time consuming but one could manage and plan and have RL. In a group it’s always easier! Well scripter don’t have the time consuming part, they have their nice script for searching, watching when it changes to idoc and when they don’t have time to be around at the idoc time the loot script and to be real safe they use trial account young player chars!

The new system: still every single player has the cahnce to do an idoc, now one needs way more time to do Idocs, less time to do other stuff in UO, no matter if you are a professional Idocer or a normal player. Don’t tell me a normal player has now more chance of getting something at an idoc! No normal player would be able to keep up with the new system! Even old-style Idocer aren’t able too! What changed for the scripter…. *ponders* well… tell me because I have no idea. All the young status rats will be there no matter if it’s the new or old system… well on trammel!

That’s why I love Siege, even when there are scripters, the other player are able to do something against them, they just kill them and they are able to do it because no trammel and no young rats!

How to end scripting at Idocs or at all? No idea! The new system won’t help!

Maybe as soon as a house is idoc the area around the house has Fel rules?
When Trial account Young player chars try to run into the idoc area they run against an invisible wall and hear a real scary mean deep voice saying “You are not allowed to enter that area as young player (or as scripter)! When you enter you will die!”? And when they try again they land in jail or they are killed the same way as you get killed at the harrower they explode and their body parts lay on the ground! *smirks*

Well ..... just my 2cents.
And pretty much on the button too.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So instead of IDOCing I went to turn in some of my horded bod collection for the first time in a long time. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't even turn them in one after another without the NPC telling me I have to wait. They time gated BOD turn in... Probably another one of their brilliant ideas to combat scripters that only screws regular players so add that to the list. It sure does seem like they just want everyone to run scripts, because adding 1 line of text to wait 5 seconds and going to do something else is a lot less frustrating than trying to turn them in by hand and having them bounce back to your pack.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP IDOCS AS THEY ARE I LIKE THE RANDOM DROP ADDS TO THE EXCITEMENT DO NOT CHANGE THEM BACKTO THE OLD WAYS WHERE SCRIPTERS KNOW EXACTLY WHEN IT WILL FALL AND AUTO LOOT ITEMS LEAVE IT ALONE STOP CHANGING THINGS THIS WAY WORKS JUST FINE
Erm trouble is the scripter are afk...away from the keyboard...there script is running 24/7.....they dont need to know the time... they are not there ever...

thats the freaking point...its win win for the afk scripters...jesus!!

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Housing contents should STAY WITH THE ACCOUNT.

and if that's too hard to code, then auction the house/stuff.

and if THAT's too hard to code, delete it all.