• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If the Devs Announced That Scripting Was OK...

• Thread starter Morgana LeFay (PoV)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Would you quit if the Devs said they were not fixing cheating?

• Yes - I would cancel all of my accounts and quit.

Votes: 44 24.6%
  • Yes/No - I would cancel some of my accounts and hope they changed their minds later.

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No - I don't care if other people cheat, I just want to play UO.

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • No - Why would I quit? I am a cheater!

Votes: 38 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fair enough...but what I am asking here, is if the devs just pretty much said "Do what you want"...would you still play?
In a PvP sense, I would still play because all the people who use PvP scripts don't know how easy it is for the opposing player to exploit it. I also love PvP and it's the driving reason why I still play today.

IE. UOMedic - Instantly eat apples upon any debuff. Thus you can exploit the timer and double blood oath, spell plague, evil omen .. etc.

BUT , I would refuse to play unless they lowered the price of each month payment to $5 because that would ruin the value of any account and most items.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

This thread is very eye opening. I honestly thought more people cared about cheating.

*shrugs*

You learn something new everyday I guess :)

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scripting- as in running a *script* for resources, i have a huge prob with this.
now if your talking about other *programs* being used for *pvp* im 50/50 caus ei would love to see them removed. but at the same time i just do what i have to so i have level pvp.

o and if ea said do what u want.. the game would go to **** within a month...

as much as I disagree with justifying usage, I gotta admit this honesty yields tons of respect. There are only two outcomes when 'programs' are being used against you... you choose to complain about it and continue to fight without using, or you use. At some point I can understand someone saying, " you know what, if they are never going to fix this and I'm going to continue to be beat solely because of it ... " somethings got to give, ya know ? As the above person said, either way they would be ok if uo stopped people from cheating/scripting/speeding/etc.

T

Trailmyx

This thread is very eye opening. I honestly thought more people cared about cheating.

I truly care more about how players treat one another in-game and much less about how people fill their game play time.

I'm just glad to see the "Nosy Nesters" are relegated to the lunatic-fringe. ;)

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not chose an answer since to do so would be inaccurate because the poll is poorly designed. Suffice to say I wouldn't quit playing because I still enjoy playing. I think people shouldn't cheat. I think the owners of the game should seek ways to stop cheaters.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would quit, because what is the point? Everyone would have all the resources they need, it would come down to sitting and farming mobs to get the rare drop... oh wait, you can script that as well. There is nothing in this game you cannot script. If it was just flat out allowed, then what is the point in playing at all?

You might as well be playing Diablo at that point.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I would quit, because what is the point? Everyone would have all the resources they need, it would come down to sitting and farming mobs to get the rare drop... oh wait, you can script that as well. There is nothing in this game you cannot script. If it was just flat out allowed, then what is the point in playing at all?

You might as well be playing Diablo at that point.
Good points all. You've convinced me.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

*shrugs*

Well, you shouldn't be shocked. UO is known for being a cheat infested hackers paradise, to be blunt. I don't think it is a stretch to say that a majority of the client base regularly use illegal third party apps, and engage in other activities which are in violation of the TOS. Your poll may well be an accurate representation of those numbers.

An awful lot of honest players have been driven away, or have given up and closed their accounts, over the years. Those people would have voted differently in your poll.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Good points all. You've convinced me.
You should wear a bibb when dripping that much sarcasm.
I WASN'T BEING SARCASTIC!!! Man, I hate it when people think I'm being sarcastic when I'm not... I honestly was saying, you made good points, and you changed my mind on the subject. :D

If you read my post above what I really want in the game is that everyone is playing by the same rules. So if there are rules, make sure they are enforced, and enforceable, and make it clear what is legal and what is not. I even said I don't have that much of a problem with scripting if it is clear that it is legal and everyone can do it.

However, you changed my opinion of that. I think you are right, it would ruin the fun of the game if all you needed to do was load up a script and get whatever you want. You might as well be playing on TC.

Y

Yalp

:lol::lol::lol::lol: i'll take a crate of number four please.

and for those times you need to wipe out the entire shard in utter revenge,
UberGod-mode for $999.99 for 24hrs of killing power !

Aye! Why stoop to such lowly scripts ... I always say I'd be the first in line to buy the script that allowed me to merely type in my "victims" name and instantly see them dead with the entire contents of their backpack transferred to my bank box!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
:lol::lol::lol::lol: i'll take a crate of number four please.

and for those times you need to wipe out the entire shard in utter revenge,
UberGod-mode for $999.99 for 24hrs of killing power !

Aye! Why stoop to such lowly scripts ... I always say I'd be the first in line to buy the script that allowed me to merely type in my "victims" name and instantly see them dead with the entire contents of their backpack transferred to my bank box!
You can only do that with lua... ;)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You can only do that with lua...
I thought third party programs were not allowed to be mentioned in these forums?????
Wow, you aren't half as clever as you attempt to be now are you? It's a programming language. The same language you write perfectly legal mods for the Enhanced Client UI in. But we won't go into why I mentioned it. Someone may laugh. I guess you aren't that person... ;)

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny it just so happens to be a programming language that was recently adopted by scripters in ultima! (I know what lua is thanks for the update though)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*shrugs*

How many of the pro-scripting votes do you think have been cast by the same people using alternate accounts? And how many people do you think are just sick and tired of all the bickering over an issue that shouldn't even be in question and therefore have completely avoided this and every other thread that discusses this topic? And how many people do you think are avoiding threads that Lord Chaos has jumped into just because they're tired of giving him a reason to inflate his post count even more?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
How many of the pro-scripting votes do you think have been cast by the same people using alternate accounts? And how many people do you think are just sick and tired of all the bickering over an issue that shouldn't even be in question and therefore have completely avoided this and every other thread that discusses this topic? And how many people do you think are avoiding threads that Lord Chaos has jumped into just because they're tired of giving him a reason to inflate his post count even more?
*raises hand* About the being sick and tired part anyway...

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd have to see but I suspect that with my envisioned decline in the PVP player base it would bring me closer to closing both accounts.

The only thing I have issue with is speeding. Scripting has been around for what 7+ years at least as that is how old my account is since I rejoined UO, given that length of time you might as well let it go. This is not a new issue and should not be treated as such. IMO the many DEV teams have defaulted to allowing it due strictly for the fact that its older than my children.

Sig says it all.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny it just so happens to be a programming language that was recently adopted by scripters in ultima! (I know what lua is thanks for the update though)
And adopted by those who write legal mods for the Enhanced Client. Your point?

A

AesSedai

I'd have to see but I suspect that with my envisioned decline in the PVP player base it would bring me closer to closing both accounts.

The only thing I have issue with is speeding. Scripting has been around for what 7+ years at least as that is how old my account is since I rejoined UO, given that length of time you might as well let it go. This is not a new issue and should not be treated as such. IMO the many DEV teams have defaulted to allowing it due strictly for the fact that its older than my children.

Sig says it all.
- Has it been that long since you started playing again... dang, the day you started again was the same time a friend of mine had stopped playing MMOs, specifically because of growing tired of the cheating that existed in UO from the beginning... some time has passed.

Yes, if the devs. announced that all forms of cheating were allowed, I would quit asap. Games without any rules are not the type of games I enjoy. I did not sign on to play a game without rules. They usually are not fun.

24. Yes, Blackjack I win! Sir, the rules are...
I killed one of your pawn before you killed mine, I win! Sir, the rules are...
I got 3 Xs before you got 3 Os, I win! Sir, the rules are...
Most games without rules are not fun, to me.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How dare you presume to tell anyone else how anything should be done? Seriously. You're not a majority. Neither are the stratics posters in this thread. Contrary to YOUR opinion, there IS more ways to play and enjoy than yours. I understand you feel you are entitled to something, but you're not. This game is about making money, and it will lose a ton of it very soon. You're not even remotely thinking of what's "best" for UO "IMO."

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you know who I am on baja (Kind of obvious..... from my name) then you would have to be a complete :gee: to be accusing me of speedhacking... :p I killed people when I was on cable, before I knew about speeder, I kill people on internet worse than dsl, but slightly better than dial up, and I will still continue to. No Speeder necessary.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

*shrugs*

I do care about cheating but if I closed all my accounts over it, that means they've won.

What I don't understand is how the pro-cheat folks can honestly and without any guilt say the game is better with scripts etc. It's not, it's a major part of what has driven the inflation of the game economy, and just by looking at the posts on these discussions you can see how it has divided the player base.

You know I'm a Table Top RPG player from years back, we always understood you played by the House rules, well in UO the House Rules are those that EA/Mythic lays down. Just like years ago if you can't play by the house rules you shouldn't be upset when well you basically get told to get out of the house.

T

Trailmyx

You know I'm a Table Top RPG player from years back, we always understood you played by the House rules, well in UO the House Rules are those that EA/Mythic lays down. Just like years ago if you can't play by the house rules you shouldn't be upset when well you basically get told to get out of the house.
It's funny that you use that analogy. Table Top RPGs and I go WAAAAY back (1st edition D&D) and I remember many times when our GM actually listened to our requests and concerns about gameplay and tried to help make the experience more to our liking instead of the "my way or the highway" approach. We didn't always get our way, but it was nice to know that our feelings were considered.

V

Vaelix

As a Pvper, i could careless about Non PvP Cheats / Scripts.

Resource Gathering, Skill Training, Ect, Do not bother me in the slight..

However, Heal Scripts, Speedhack, and the other little Hacks and Adjustments (Such as Edited Art Files) I am Very Against.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's funny that you use that analogy. Table Top RPGs and I go WAAAAY back (1st edition D&D) and I remember many times when our GM actually listened to our requests and concerns about gameplay and tried to help make the experience more to our liking instead of the "my way or the highway" approach. We didn't always get our way, but it was nice to know that our feelings were considered.
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Dungeon Master Guide (1st Edition page 7.) said:
The danger of a mutable system is that you or your players will go too far in some undesirable direction and end up with a short-lived campaign. Participants will always be pushing for a game which allows them to become strong and powerful far too quickly. Each will attempt to take the game out of your hands and mold it to his or her own ends. To satisfy this natural desire is to issue a death warrant to a campaign, for it will either be a one-player affair or the players will desert en masse for something more challenging and equitable.
Currently that quote describes exactly what we have had happening to UO for years, as scripting has gained popularity it has taken control from the Dungeon Master's (in this case EA/Mythic's) hands. Every good DM knows there has to be a point where you draw a line in the sand and not to sound corny but bluntly state "You Shall Not Pass" if he doesn't want the work and effort he put into designing and crafting a well thought out campaign destroyed over greed and lust for power and riches. Granted that same DM should do everything in his power to steer the campaign back into it's natural flow. That is what 3rd party detection will do, steer the game back towards it's natural course, if some players cannot accept that then well sorry can't help ya.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Seven...exactly seven.

In Flames

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think, that if the Dev team focused on making the in game systems operate a bit better you'd see script support dwindle.

Like, why can't I just activate my mining skill and mine the nearest spot dry or until I move (whichever goes first)? Instead I have to click a shovel, then click the ground, and either hold a button to repeat that action or do it myself 12x

Why, to snoop, must I open the paperdoll and THEN snoop them. Why can't I just hit a "snoop" macro, that only asks me WHO to snoop when there is more than one target within range?

Why aren't there definable "drink potion" macros through the in game interface?

And I don't want to hear any nonsense about the EC, this thread is NOT about EC, and while I could go on for days about how much I hate the look/feel of the EC, again, this is not the point of the thread.

Anywho, there are about 1,000,000 things that the game client NEEDS to do, and the dev teams (plural yes, including the ones that came before the current incarnation) have let go by the wayside. THAT I feel is the reason for scripts and other things becoming so rampant.

People are usually pretty honest, give them an honest solution and most'll take it.

T

Tukaram

I've never felt the need to cheat in training skills, gathering resources, or looting. Everything I needed was in UOAssist. Now it is all available in the new client.

If you script everything you may as well turn on the game, start the script, and go out to a movie. Why bother to play if you're not going to play?

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- You don't have to cheat, no one is forcing you to cheat. That is a choice you make, and no one else makes it for you.
Some have to cheat to play the game or they can't play the game.

- You don't even need to cheat to "level the playing field". There are plenty of people, myself included, who pvp clean. You don't cheat to level the playing field, you cheat because you don't want to lose. Plenty of people who don't cheat pvp, and while they might not do as well as they would if they did cheat, and they don't win all the time, they are still competitive.
True to some extent, but some people just are so bad at UO PvP that it remains the only option to even have a fraction of a chance in PvP.

- UO will be better off in every way if the cheaters are dealt with and the cheating monster is finally tamed. It will never be killed, but it can certainly be beaten into submission, and if that happens EA will make more money off the game, and their clients will have a better experience. The only ones that will lose are those who are banned for cheating.
Now *this* is the most blatant lie. First of all, we would lose more than just those banned, we will also lose those who quit and we'll lose their LEGIT friends who quit as well. Secondly, its a huge assumption with no parallel counterpart in RL to assume this will in any way make EA money, just by this poll, EA will lose some 25% of players (and cheaters are underrepresented on Stratics), then perhaps 5-10% more would quit. Assuming the UO population is 100.000, then UO would lose 35.000 accounts at the minimum. There's no way that this new change is going to make them 35.000 new/returning accounts. Not to metion, with a huge portion of the veterans base gone, there's less people to help new players get into the game.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many of the pro-scripting votes do you think have been cast by the same people using alternate accounts?
The last poll of this type, it was the likely the anti-cheat crowd that cheated, as 7 new accounts were created just after the poll creation and according to the numbers, they could only have voted anti-scripting.

Both sides can pull numbers this way and just because you're anti-scripting (which doesn't make you not a cheater), doesn't mean you're above stacking a poll which you find important.

And how many people do you think are just sick and tired of all the bickering over an issue that shouldn't even be in question
I'll have to bold this for you to notice.

Why shouldn't this issue not be in question? Its one of the biggest issues of all time in UO, if not the biggest.

And how many people do you think are avoiding threads that Lord Chaos has jumped into just because they're tired of giving him a reason to inflate his post count even more?
Awwww thanks, I love you too. Because yeah, its all about post count and not because I care about an issue or have issues with the direction of the game...nuh-uh, I am incapable of doing that as a UO player.

Oh and Tina, I post in OT:NHB, if I wanted post count, then I could inflate it in there very very easily, so why would I risk a ban here just to inflate a post count? That makes no sense.

Though, I am a bit saddened to see you jump onto such a bandwagen, as I normally respect your work and posts greatly.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do care about cheating but if I closed all my accounts over it, that means they've won.

What I don't understand is how the pro-cheat folks can honestly and without any guilt say the game is better with scripts etc. It's not, it's a major part of what has driven the inflation of the game economy, and just by looking at the posts on these discussions you can see how it has divided the player base.
For them the game could be better of. And its not the cheaters that have inflated the economy, its the ease of getting gold. Heck, I was completely shocked that after my gf started again she had a medium suit of armor/arties very quickly by just going to the painted caves and loot gold of troglodytes and bag of sending it. (gold weight next to nothing now)

There's no way you can compare an MMO to a Table Top RPG in that manner, because we're not all part of the same campaign or even play together with others. We're you the kind of person who wents over to your neighbours house and complained very loud because they didn't play the TT RPG according to the rules in their group?

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of them said, "Woohoo!" Set up his script, and the instant the castle fell his script placed a new one. It was so fast the location barely blinked.
What the? There's a delay on when you can place a house after another has fallen IDOC, not to mention there's a delay if you try to place too many times.

Yeah, I know, because I recently placed a house and it had to be done very delicately to avoid getting the replace delay. I managed to get the house against 3 other players there and it was quite a lucrative house. A house I had been waiting for well over a decade.

Y

Yalp

a common fallacy in the posts is that if the cheats are stopped...

1) UO dies because more people cheat and they will quit
2) UO dies because the ease of gameplay which cheats provided will be lost

... here's something to think about.. the game is always changing! Advocate for the utilities that cheats provided to be legally implemented in some way.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they stop the cheating and scripting people will quit....

That is one of the biggest loads of BS I've seen on these boards... and there is an aweful lot of it.

Simple fact is, in every mmorpg out there which has taken a proactive stance against cheating has seen an upwards turn in subscriptions. People who script/cheat invaribly come back as well as those who quit because of that cheating.

Fact. MOST of the people who play UO don't visit this forum.

Fact. Subscriptions to UO INCREASED when Trammel was introduced.

Fact- from working in the gaming industry and being part of the surveys/numbers- most people want a game where there is not/they have a choice of PvP and no scripting/cheating.

Why do you think Everquest/World of WarCraft were so successful? They allowed people to play without having to deal with someone trying to ruin their gaming experience. I played EQ for 5+ years in a high end raiding guild. Played WoW for almost 9 months. In that almost 6 years of time, I talked to a lot of FORMER UO players. All except a handful quit because of cheating/scripting/pk'ing. They came to EQ (mainly) and WoW because they could play without having to deal with that.

THAT is where the money is. Life is stressful enough without having to deal with it in your gaming life as well.

From my work as a former Regional Rep of Wizards of the Coast and the surverys done, all that does is reinforce that information.

MOST of the players who have quit over the years don't go to a forum to share their frustrations with the game or other reasons for quitting.

Scripting/cheating hurts the community and game as a whole.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many of the pro-scripting votes do you think have been cast by the same people using alternate accounts?
why would someone create multiple stratics accounts just to vote on a poll more than 1 time?

i think you just don't like the results.

also, I still see people are referring to unattended macroing as cheating. it is not. I have explained this several times but no one seems to be listening. I remember when I played Final Fantasy 3 on super nintendo I could put a heavy object on the controller to loop around on a raft and gain XP on the characters. I would go to school and come back and my guys were trained up pretty well. that is not cheating. cheating is hacking the game cartridge or using a cheat code.

a UO script is basically a macro. you write the script, then hit play. if your script trains a skill or opens a chest full of armor and creates a nice list with all the properties for you, or creates a database of all vendors in Luna and Zento, it is not cheating. if your script dupes gold, it is cheating. not all scripts are cheats.

you people need to start being realistic and stop ignoring the facts. anyone here that uses searchuo.com or finduo.com is literally utilizing a database created by a script. that is the same thing as if you created the database yourself with a script. no difference.

if you sit there pushing a button to cast earthquake 1 or 2 thousand times, or you write a simple script to do that, it is exactly the same thing. the difference is you are the schmuck sitting there pushing a key 1500 times and the other guy is out mowing his lawn. multi-tasking is smart, perfectly normal human behavior. it is not cheating.

so, in conclusion, you have concocted this flawed poll which makes flawed assumptions and you have still not gotten the results you wanted. it's like when FOX News creates a poll to try to get a result that makes President Obama look hated, yet he still comes out on top. we call that an epic fail morgane. nice job.

A

ahardy

Three of the most common as dirt lies cheaters tell themselves.

- I have to cheat.
- I cheat to "level the playing field".
- UO will die if something is done about cheating.

- You don't have to cheat, no one is forcing you to cheat. That is a choice you make, and no one else makes it for you.

- You don't even need to cheat to "level the playing field". There are plenty of people, myself included, who pvp clean. You don't cheat to level the playing field, you cheat because you don't want to lose. Plenty of people who don't cheat pvp, and while they might not do as well as they would if they did cheat, and they don't win all the time, they are still competitive.

- UO will be better off in every way if the cheaters are dealt with and the cheating monster is finally tamed. It will never be killed, but it can certainly be beaten into submission, and if that happens EA will make more money off the game, and their clients will have a better experience. The only ones that will lose are those who are banned for cheating.

I will explain all in a 30 seconds post, so let's GO!

If scripting tools win a block, and or users get ban for use it uo will die or the subscription will up from 10$ to 40$ let's explain why

"IF DONT BLOCK I WILL QUIT" - It really don't make diff to me or to EA, the WHY is simple, if you quit they lose 10$, if they ban a good scripter they lose 300$, for a teorichal example, you player own 3 accts, i scripter own 17 accts so what is better, for ea? If they choice 1 they can lose 30$ (but won't will because you are dope fiend on this game and won't will stop play and lose all years of investment from day to night, but if ea choice the second, they will ban 30 accts, and scripter will stop playing, because he won't will pay anymore to lose cash, time and effort, he simple will jump to another game, so that's it.

IF they don't change nothing you won't will stop play NO ONE will stop play, bacause all are dope fiend in this game, but if they change and block scripts they only will lose cash and players...

OH and don't tell me (if they block more players will come) its a BS, UO don't have publicity on tv, or web like the asian games, or wow so why a 14y old kid will play a game with old and bad graphics, wich no one never saw nothing about the game on TV? They will go the game with highly 3d graphics that show every 3 hours on TV, or was in 8 in 10 google adwords publicity.

Uo players are guys with 20y+ who started play years ago, or they sons, to that type of public, with or whitout cheat they will play.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple fact is, in every mmorpg out there which has taken a proactive stance against cheating has seen an upwards turn in subscriptions.
Uhm no they haven't. And don't mention WoW, their upturn in subscribers had nothing to do with their cheating stance.

And also, you forget that other games can survive on having an allure that UO as an ancient 2D game just can't match at all, its old, ugly and alien. It will never draw a significant crowd.

People who script/cheat invaribly come back as well as those who quit because of that cheating.
Ok, that is borderline delusional. Those who quit because of cheating has moved on to other games now and while some will come back, its very very few. Given the nature of UO, then very few cheaters would return, especially if banned.

That is not just because of Trammel, but because of the expansions as well. UO still had a significant allure back then. Though how this fact has anything to do with scripting I don't know.

Why do you think Everquest/World of WarCraft were so successful?
Everquest was 3D and beautiful compared to UO, not to mention they had a hot chick on their boxes and a significant store presence.

WoW was popular because it built on an existing consumerbase that was massive, it was massively hyped and advertised, it was good looking, had hot night elves, was easy to play, had an auktion house, bonded gear, fun to get into and pandered to non-MMO gamers, which is why you see so many female and casual WoW players. It was an MMO shift at just the right time and the right place, the market was theirs for the taking.

They allowed people to play without having to deal with someone trying to ruin their gaming experience. I played EQ for 5+ years in a high end raiding guild. Played WoW for almost 9 months. In that almost 6 years of time, I talked to a lot of FORMER UO players. All except a handful quit because of cheating/scripting/pk'ing. They came to EQ (mainly) and WoW because they could play without having to deal with that.
EQ had many cheat programs, WoW had 2 different bots and several speedhacks. (only 1 bot stopped and 2 "speedhacks" are still working). If you'd worked in the gaming industry you'd know that quitting players seldom state their TRUE reasons for quitting (as often it involves their own folly) and either state cover reasons or pick whatever biggest problems they can come up with.

Pking is true enough, thats true direct grief, people don't want that. But PKing is not the debate here.

MOST of the players who have quit over the years don't go to a forum to share their frustrations with the game or other reasons for quitting.
No, they don't, but you'll only get a one sided story anyway.

Lets say you were banned for scripting...what would you do:

A - Go to your guildmates and say "I got banned for scripting, I know you hate scripting". Or go
B - "OMG, I am so frustrated *insert XXX reasons (including cheating)*, I am quitting and not coming back"

Considering much of the game and community is built by scripters on my shard, I'll just say thats your flawed opinion.

A

ahardy

If they stop the cheating and scripting people will quit....

That is one of the biggest loads of BS I've seen on these boards... and there is an aweful lot of it.

Simple fact is, in every mmorpg out there which has taken a proactive stance against cheating has seen an upwards turn in subscriptions. People who script/cheat invaribly come back as well as those who quit because of that cheating.

Fact- from working in the gaming industry and being part of the surveys/numbers- most people want a game where there is not/they have a choice of PvP and no scripting/cheating.

Why do you think Everquest/World of WarCraft were so successful? They allowed people to play without having to deal with someone trying to ruin their gaming experience. I played EQ for 5+ years in a high end raiding guild. Played WoW for almost 9 months. In that almost 6 years of time, I talked to a lot of FORMER UO players. All except a handful quit because of cheating/scripting/pk'ing. They came to EQ (mainly) and WoW because they could play without having to deal with that.

THAT is where the money is. Life is stressful enough without having to deal with it in your gaming life as well.

From my work as a former Regional Rep of Wizards of the Coast and the surverys done, all that does is reinforce that information.

You really don't know game market....

WoW have 10 times more scripters then here, my jobbud, play WoW-Warsong and have 50 active accts runing bots to level increase to after sell the accts on his site, he spend 300$/month with publicity on google adwords. On WoW have proram to increase your speed up to 4 times, on uo i never saw anyone runing 4 times faster then me, so its ok.

"World of WarCraft were so successful?" Because they spend mils on publicity, any bs on blizzard website or any gamming related site in the world have a link to WoW, now UO..........
So Its successful because they have publicity and graphics, don't go angry with me UO dev team, but WoW graphics win 100 - 2 against uo one, i play uo because the liberty to do what i want, "Like a medieval second life idea", uo never will have graphics like WoW, so the only choice of EA is: make a massive publicity program, with maybe a 30 seconds commercial on superbowl final, to have numbers to remove scripters, or let scripters play and let game like it was actually.

T

Trailmyx

why would someone create multiple stratics accounts just to vote on a poll more than 1 time?

i think you just don't like the results.
And I know of one YES vote that should be NO. Lol, one of my "people" clicked the wrong key. DOH! I guess we're so used to the constant harassment here at Stratics, and the logic is reversed from the tone that's normally imparted.

So there's a free YES vote for the haters; looks like ya'll need it. ;)

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YOU RUIN MY GAME TRAILMYX! You're like a Night Elf Mohawk! I think you're Mr. T., how do we know you're not good with computers and you hacked da game!? :)

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is how I read the poll
I already said I misread the poll. I did not mean to click the i would quit if they did not fix cheating. In no way do i give to craps about scripters. I do not care for folks that alter a game client or speed hack but those are different forms of cheating which bug me. I still wouldn't quit from that though. I would be extra happy when I finally did kill the guy that I suspected of hacking. Honestly it is not worth getting my panties in a bunch for something so little in the grand scheme of life. Te game is fun, it lets me veg out= why would i quit.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
One of them said, "Woohoo!" Set up his script, and the instant the castle fell his script placed a new one. It was so fast the location barely blinked.
What the? There's a delay on when you can place a house after another has fallen IDOC, not to mention there's a delay if you try to place too many times.
As I posted somewhere in one of my posts about this in this thread, this was before the changes that made that kind of script placing impossible. No, you can't do this anymore, but there are still plenty of things you can do with scripts that are just as unfair to those who play the game honestly.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I posted somewhere in one of my posts about this in this thread, this was before the changes that made that kind of script placing impossible. No, you can't do this anymore, but there are still plenty of things you can do with scripts that are just as unfair to those who play the game honestly.
What I'm wondering is how you can be dishonest in a midevil game that touts stealing as a skill? There's absolutely nothing "dishonest" about using a tool that has been deemed "illegal" by a non authority. It's a GAME dear. You're taking it way too far. 90 percent of the people I know who script are very good people that wouldn't do anything near cheating in their lives. Get over yourself. There is about 5 things that scripts can do that are "unfair." And 90 percent of the scripters who have the ability to do them WOULD NOT, just because it's unfair. You kids here need to quit attacking others in this thread because you misunderstand the top and what you're discussing. Go educate yourselves before you talk about a topic you have little real experience or understanding with. Besides, according to the poll, you're a minority. I didn't think EA listened to any minority. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.